PDA

View Full Version : Hank Blalock?

Double-J
11-17-08, 01:20 PM
According to MLB Trade Rumors (per Gammons) (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/11/gammons-latest.html) if the Rangers sign Kerry Wood, they’d need to trade Blalock to make room. Any thoughts on the Yankees pursuing Blalock if they can’t get Teixiera?

DaBliz
11-17-08, 02:50 PM
If we give up basically nothing, I guess it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

primetime714
11-17-08, 03:49 PM
I'd rather just get Teixeira, but if we didn't I wouldn't be totally opposed to Blalock assuming we didn't give up anything to get him.

Yankee Tripper
11-17-08, 03:51 PM
He was an interesting 1B option before the Swisher acquistion but now I just don't see where he'd fit in.

Gusto
11-17-08, 04:22 PM
He was an interesting 1B option before the Swisher acquistion but now I just don't see where he'd fit in.

I think Swisher would get his at bats, even with signing Blalock.

He would start if any OF went down.
He'd start if Blalock went down.
He'd start if Matsui went down.
He'd start if ARod went down (Blalock to 3B).
He'd get ABs whenever any of those players were rested.
He could also get ABs against tough lefties (sit Gardner).
He could also get ABs against tough righties (sit Nady).

I don't think Swisher @5.3M necessarily blocks any further acquisitions in 2009.

Yankee Tripper
11-17-08, 05:26 PM
I don't think Swisher @5.3M necessarily blocks any further acquisitions in 2009.
Me either but I don't see inury prone Blalock as an upgrade over Swisher.

Another option would be Swisher as every dat LF with Damon as CF and Blalock at 1B. I just don't see that as the likely outcome.

Pat2390
11-17-08, 06:40 PM
I'm with you

Double-J
11-18-08, 09:07 AM
Yeah, I think Swisher's versatility is a 1B and OF gives the Yankees some flexibility, which is why I thought Blalock could be an option should Tex resign with LA or go elsewhere.

Thanks for the comments, guys. This was my first thread so much appreciated. ;)

BRNXBMRS
11-18-08, 09:54 AM

makes no sense for the yanks

Double-J
11-18-08, 10:01 AM
makes no sense for the yanks

Unless Swisher has to play the outfield, no?

Joseph P.
11-18-08, 10:10 AM
He could make sense, as many have said, in the event that the team goes into the season with an outfield of Swisher-Damon-Nady (best offensive OF at the cost of defense). However, from what I've been reading Texas has really been hyping up his value. I don't buy it, but he might not come on the cheap. Which is the only way the Yanks should even consider being in on him.

koko
11-18-08, 01:06 PM

exactly. Come to grips with the fact that Nick Swisher is your 1B for the next few years.

BRNXBMRS
11-18-08, 03:54 PM
Unless Swisher has to play the outfield, no?

The Yanks arent getting Tex.

sweet_lou_14
11-18-08, 11:55 PM
exactly. Come to grips with the fact that Nick Swisher is your 1B for the next few years.

I see that your crystal ball has an ever greater temporal range than some of the other wizards on these boards.

Double-J
11-19-08, 08:39 AM
The Yanks arent getting Tex.

If I were a betting man, I'd agree that he'd end up elsewhere (probably remaining in LA), but it would seem that it's a bit early to say definitively whether or not Teixiera will be a Yankee or not?

koko
11-20-08, 11:56 AM
I see that your crystal ball has an ever greater temporal range than some of the other wizards on these boards.

I paid for all the extra options on mine! ;)
I just don't see the Yankee making this move to put Swisher in the OF. All the talk about a 1B playing 1B. Getting another 1B would mean multiple other moves would have to be made. I just don't see it happening.

Double-J
11-20-08, 12:57 PM
I paid for all the extra options on mine! ;)
I just don't see the Yankee making this move to put Swisher in the OF. All the talk about a 1B playing 1B. Getting another 1B would mean multiple other moves would have to be made. I just don't see it happening.

I tend to agree, but I think if they don't get Teixiera (and also do not acquire an outfielder, be it Manny, Cameron, etc.), I don't think Swisher to the outfield and a trade for Blalock would necessarily be unlikely.

TZeruk
11-20-08, 03:52 PM
Enough with Teixiera and any other first baseman not named Teixiera. Hopefully the Yankees are focusing on getting some starting pitching (mainly CC) and a good backup or starting center outfielder.

I'm pretty happy with the Swisher trade.

ShaneTravis
12-07-08, 08:00 PM
(http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.aspx?sport=MLB&majteam=TEX)thttp://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gifhttp://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif
The Giants and Rangers will reportedly discuss a Hank Blalock trade at the winter meetings.
Blalock for Jonathan Sanchez? It wouldn't make much sense for the Giants, especially with the questions surrounding Blalock's ability to play third base. Also, he has just one year left on his deal. Blalock wouldn't necessarily be a bad pickup, but the cost would have to be pretty low. A utilityman like Eugenio Velez or lefty reliever Jack Taschner and a prospect would be a fair return.
Source: Hot Stove Blog (http://hotstove.mlblogs.com/archives/2008/12/rangers_giants_to_talk_about_b.html)

A utility man for Hank? Seems a little cheap.

Rocketman
12-07-08, 11:51 PM
Remember when Blalock was a good player? Me too.

Hank Blalock has played 123 games over the past two full seasons. As a result, he hasn't hit over 16 home runs since 2005 and he hasn't hit 30 HR since 2004.

I don't see him as a great option by any stretch. The last thing the Yankees need right now is another guy likely to sit on the bench for long periods of time while eating up payroll.

Jay
12-08-08, 12:19 AM
I wouldn't really want Blalock. Though I also don't really want Swish as our starting 1B.

NewEraYanks2527
12-08-08, 08:06 AM

I also think the Swisher move is one we are going to love when all is said and done, just a gut feeling.