PDA

View Full Version : Magglio Ordonez?

Kearney
09-15-08, 11:24 AM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/09/tigers-could-de.html:

It seems the Tiger MAY be motivated to trade Ordonez. Assuming we could put a package together, anyone interested? I need to go take a look at his numbers before I can say yes. Thoughts?

THEBOSS84
09-15-08, 11:26 AM
I wouldn't give up more for him, but he'd be a cool replacement for Abreu in right.

Brick Tamland
09-15-08, 11:48 AM
I don't know. A guy who's going to be 35 next season and cost $18M? I'm not sure that's where I'd like to see money spent. Even though he's still got a lot left in the tank, and it would be only one year plus options. Not sure what kind of D he plays in RF. I'd pass.

nnysiny
09-15-08, 12:13 PM
the last thing the Yankees need is another OF. no thanks

primetime714
09-15-08, 12:36 PM
They'd want pitching. I'd only be willing to part with Ian Kennedy or Aceves caliber guy. They'd probably want Hughes from us though which would be ridiculous.

montrealer
09-15-08, 01:22 PM
WE need pitching

Kearney
09-15-08, 02:15 PM
Indeed we need pitching, but if Abreu leaves, we probably need to replace him. I would be open to sending Kennedy or Aceves plus spare parts, but not to much else. I dont see this happening tho.

CommerceComet
09-15-08, 02:37 PM
the last thing the Yankees need is another OF. no thanksThe Yankees desperately need an OF who can play a good CF. Unfortunately, that is not Ordonez.

JohnnyDamonfan
09-15-08, 03:33 PM
Indeed we need pitching, but if Abreu leaves, we probably need to replace him. I would be open to sending Kennedy or Aceves plus spare parts, but not to much else. I dont see this happening tho.

Let's say Abreu leaves. Here's an idea how about we put Nady in Right? Would he be that bad of a Right Fielder? That way we can put Damon in Left. And we wouldn't need to trade for a Right Fielder.

webassign
09-15-08, 03:55 PM
We don't need another old and overpaid outfielder.

JohnnyDamonfan
09-15-08, 04:00 PM
Yeah, if we're gonna trade pitchers trade them for a good young Center Fielder at least. Hopefully one that can play Right field when Austin comes up.

JL25and3
09-15-08, 04:05 PM
I don't know. A guy who's going to be 35 next season and cost $18M? I'm not sure that's where I'd like to see money spent. Even though he's still got a lot left in the tank, and it would be only one year plus options. Not sure what kind of D he plays in RF. I'd pass.Unfortunately, there's a vesting clause for those options:

options guaranteed at $18M for 2010 & $15M for 2011 if Ordonez has:

135 starts or 540 PAs in 2009, or
270 starts or 1,080 PAs in 2008-09

He'll probably get to 140 starts and 600 PA this year. I don't think I want to commit to three years of Magglio.

Too bad, because I used to love Magglio. His first five years or so with the White Sox, he was my choice for most underrated player.

O'Neill's 3b + E
09-15-08, 11:53 PM
fantastic player, but not really what the Yankees need.

He's awful in the field at this point in his career and would likely be better served splitting time at DH. That's also true of Posada, Damon, and Matsui.

Prison Mike
09-15-08, 11:54 PM
This is exactly the kind of player the Yankees need to stay away from.

O'Neill's 3b + E
09-16-08, 12:01 AM

Really, I don't think it's fair to blame Ordonez for this. He is an amazing player. I don't think it makes any sense, but he'll likely make some team happy.

It's just that right now the Yankees already have superstars in the line up, the only issue is that many of them are unable to field well or remain healthy while in the field. The only position play they should even think about is Tex, only because short of Pujols and maybe Kotchman he's the best defensive 1B in the game.

The Yankees need depth in the rotation, bullpen and bench more than awesome hitters... they already have a couple of those.

Abe Frohman
09-16-08, 12:01 AM

EXACTLY ... we need to change this approach and mentality. I want no part of Maggs

or any other player who WAS great but is on the decline now.