PDA

View Full Version : series comments [yanks vs angels] The X factor

mycroft
08-03-08, 04:18 PM
The first two games of this series left me shaking my head and the curse of that stupid rally monkey seemed destined to sink our hopes. Game one was over before it began as the every other game Pettitte got shelled. Game 2 was wasted with a stellar outing by Ponson goes by the board as Mo can't get it done in the 9th and our bats were silenced. I have said before that a team will win 50 and lose 50 games and the rest will decide whether a team goes to the playoffs. Game 2 was a game in the latter category and losing these types of games can be the difference between making the playoffs or not and puts more pressure on a team to have to win. A really terrible loss.

(Nice to see Farnsworth stinking it up for Detroit instead of us now)

Game three was an almost unexpected win as Moose dialed it up and put an end to the Angels streak with a dominating start. The Bombers really stepped up with homers from ARod, Betemit, Abreu and a huge game by Molina in support of a great pitching performance by Moose and the pen.

Game 4 was a game I gave us no chance to win and a 5-0 deficit with Rasner stinking it up and Lackey on the mound. However, Dan Geise holds the fort and all of a sudden the rally monkey takes a day off. The Yanks take advantage of 4 errors and 10 unearned runs, a monster day by X, some timely running by Christian who ran for Pudge and we pull out a game we should have lost while evening the series against a team that has just killed us. Lost in all of this was Cano's 2 run single after coming in for Betemit and we overcame Texeria's slam. Pudge and Abreu have huge games as well. I was really hot at Girardi for not pulling Ramirez but not knowing Rivera was unavailable was the real reason. Man I was really hot. Hopefully Mo is OK and the hot weather in Texas will loosen that back up.

Well this turns out to be a huge series split after being down 2-0 but it is obvious that Rasner needs to go back to the minors or the pen and by the sounds of it Hughes, Kennedy, and dare I say his name...Pavano, are getting close to coming back. A four game set in Texas and then on to Aneheim are next up on a 10 game road trip. 5 and 1/2 games back now in early August isn't terribly bad but how we fair in this upcoming road trip very well could be our season. Texas can hit but they can't pitch which is the hallmark of most Ranger teams over their history so we had better bring our bats.

And lastly, seeing Manny being Manny in La is bizarre and the sawks in my opinion are a far weaker team. I can't help thinking about when they got rid of Nomar and how similar the circumstances are. Manny playing for Torre is just as wierd as it gets. Well, I am glad he is gone and out of our hair.

MunsonNY15
08-03-08, 04:44 PM
I posted this in TBT's pregame thread for the first game of the series:

With the hex that the Angels have had on the Yankees the last several seasons, I'll be happy with a split this series and losing no more than one game.

lose two or more games = Oh, boy. Here we go again
lose only one game = OK
stay the same = I'll be happy
gain one or more games = I'll be doing a jig

The standings on 7/31 going into the LAA series:
AL East
Tampa 63-44
Boston 61-48 3.0
Yankees 59-48 4.0

Wild Card
Boston 61-48
Twins 59-48 1.0
Yankees 59-48 1.0

Standings after today's games:
AL East
Tampa 66-44
Boston 64-48 3.0
Yankees 61-50 5.5

Wild Card
Boston 64-48
White Sox 61-49 2.0
Yankees 61-50 2.5

The fact that they only lost 1.5 games in the standings after a tough four game series while their opponents faced weaker teams, the end result wasn't as bad as some here feared. The Yankees really could have buried themselves had they been swept while the Red Sox and Rays continued winning. Moreover, the fact that the Yankees were really only out of one game in this series (game 1), and should have won on Friday, they really showed me something. Not bad, all things considered.

Boston now goes on to play three in Kansas City while the Rays welcome Cleveland for a three game set. Hopefully the Yankees can ride today's momentum into Texas with Joba on the mound.

Heidi

BRONXBOMBERS06
08-03-08, 04:49 PM
Getting a split , I'm happy.

montrealer
08-03-08, 04:50 PM
Split was definitely a good thing.................but we saw some holes again with this team. We`re being held together with band-aides but hanging tough. We saw a very good Angels team and we now know what we`re up against in this pennant race. It won`t be easy and it`s still a long row to hoe but today was a start. Hope we can keep it going........

JDPNYY
08-03-08, 04:53 PM
^ If Joe Buck was a Yankee Fan.

themgmt
08-03-08, 05:54 PM
I think if A-Rod takes the walk leading off the 9th inning.. he steals second easily and scores on a sac fly and we're talking about how the Yankees took 3 of 4 from the Angels. Can't complain about the split, the only bad game was the first one (and even there they put up a fight).

YESSIR!
08-03-08, 07:25 PM
I guess it turned out well all things considered, but it would have been really nice to take game 2, which we lost 1-0; it was a game we could(/should) have certainly won. We lost considerable ground on 8/1 because pretty much every other relevent team was a winner.

Now The Sox and TB face comparatively weaker opponents in their next series, Texas being a hair more fearsom than either Cleveland or KC. The Yankees must win the series vs. Texas in order assure that they won't lose more ground.

NYYFAN
08-03-08, 07:28 PM
I thought before the series if the Yankees go 5-5 or 6-4 I'd be happy...and after the first two losses its still on tract...

Matt
08-03-08, 07:34 PM
I think if A-Rod takes the walk leading off the 9th inning.. he steals second easily and scores on a sac fly and we're talking about how the Yankees took 3 of 4 from the Angels. Can't complain about the split, the only bad game was the first one (and even there they put up a fight).

There were a ton of "ifs" in this series. If the Angels play average defense today, they win the game and win the series 3-1. Honestly, this series could've gone 3-1 either way. But I'm glad the Yankees got a split. Now they have to win the series against the Rangers and keep building momentum.

YankeesAce4Life
08-03-08, 07:44 PM
I'll take the split, but the game Friday night should have been ours if it was managed properly.

BroadwayBomber55
08-03-08, 08:39 PM
I'll take the split, but the game Friday night should have been ours if it was managed properly.
And the Yankee offense executed properly in Game 2.

As I said before, the Yankees were left for dead after losing the first two games against the Red Sox at home during the Fourth of July weekend, but came back to win the next two for a split.

They did it again this weekend against the Angels.
Today showed me the thing the Yankees are missing to re-gain the World Championship: showing grit and guts to bounce back from the bad times.

HughesIsNasty
08-03-08, 08:45 PM
Loved the way we fought back in these last two games. We need to get a win streak going now.

ober0n98
08-04-08, 03:53 AM
And lastly, seeing Manny being Manny in La is bizarre and the sawks in my opinion are a far weaker team. I can't help thinking about when they got rid of Nomar and how similar the circumstances are. Manny playing for Torre is just as wierd as it gets. Well, I am glad he is gone and out of our hair.

considering the year they traded nomar was the year they WON the W-S for the first time in a long time, let's hope it's not TOO SIMILAR.

I think the red sox underestimate manny's value, but if JD Drew continues his streak and their pitching holds up, they aren't doing that bad. That said, I think they should've kept manny until end of the season. Not too many hitters that instill fear in a pitcher.

Manny, Bonds (although not the past two years), Ortiz, Pujols are 'scary' hitters. Unfortunately, A-Rod isn't :( Buddy needs to raise his RISP/AVG...

ober0n98
08-04-08, 03:59 AM
And the Yankee offense executed properly in Game 2.

As I said before, the Yankees were left for dead after losing the first two games against the Red Sox at home during the Fourth of July weekend, but came back to win the next two for a split.

They did it again this weekend against the Angels.
Today showed me the thing the Yankees are missing to re-gain the World Championship: showing grit and guts to bounce back from the bad times.

I really do think Nady gives us the old school spunk in our step. I'd like to see him more in the lineup; he's decently consistent so far in his tour with the yanks. Robbie coming off the bench might have woken him up because he's been terrible so far this year.

The team's stll got a ton of holes and question marks (how many freaking DHs do we need? obviously posada can't handle the strains of every day catching so what the heck are we going to do with all those DHs??)...

EDIT: I wish we had signed beltran in 05 especially with the 20M discount :(

machphantom
08-04-08, 04:27 AM
Now The Sox and TB face comparatively weaker opponents in their next series, Texas being a hair more fearsom than either Cleveland or KC. The Yankees must win the series vs. Texas in order assure that they won't lose more ground.
I know i'll end up eating these words, but I think the Royals actually might show something against the Red Sox. They just took two out of three from the now second place White Sox, swept the A's , and are facing Buckholtz tomorrow.

b_joseph
08-04-08, 05:11 AM
You cant gain a playoff spot in August but you definitely can play yourself out of it.
We showed a lot of courage in winning the final 2 games of the series.

22 runs in the final 2 games was also a plus point. We'll need that kinda production going into this next series in Texas.

Major props to Moose and Giese...IMO, they are the 2 main reason why we got a split.

mycroft
08-04-08, 06:36 AM
considering the year they traded nomar was the year they WON the W-S for the first time in a long time, let's hope it's not TOO SIMILAR.

I think the red sox underestimate manny's value, but if JD Drew continues his streak and their pitching holds up, they aren't doing that bad. That said, I think they should've kept manny until end of the season. Not too many hitters that instill fear in a pitcher.

Manny, Bonds (although not the past two years), Ortiz, Pujols are 'scary' hitters. Unfortunately, A-Rod isn't :( Buddy needs to raise his RISP/AVG...

I was think that too but didn't want to say it out loud. I am still happy to see manny gone and the sawks are a far weaker team. I will take the split but now we get the out there next weekend.

montrealer
08-04-08, 07:16 AM
I was think that too but didn't want to say it out loud. I am still happy to see manny gone and the sawks are a far weaker team. I will take the split but now we get the out there next weekend.
Boston far weaker?................that`s yet to be seen my friend.................Jason Bay may be the "Intangible" reason they make the play-offs.

keg411
08-04-08, 07:30 AM
Boston far weaker?................that`s yet to be seen my friend.................Jason Bay may be the "Intangible" reason they make the play-offs.

Does Jason Bay fill the gaping hole they have in their bullpen???

Remember, the Yankees swept Oakland easily when they were in town. The A's are really really bad and a very bad way of measuring how good Jason Bay is. The Yankees played a FAR more difficult team in the Angels (who SWEPT Boston) and managed to come out with a split.

mycroft
08-04-08, 07:39 AM
Does Jason Bay fill the gaping hole they have in their bullpen???

Remember, the Yankees swept Oakland easily when they were in town. The A's are really really bad and a very bad way of measuring how good Jason Bay is. The Yankees played a FAR more difficult team in the Angels (who SWEPT Boston) and managed to come out with a split.

SAYIN!!

Let's see now, if I were a pitcher who would I rather face, manny or bay...? huh