PDA

View Full Version : I Am Finally Getting Excited about our chances in '08.

OldYankeeFan
08-01-08, 04:49 PM
First I think we have improved by a substantial margin our 'position players' with whom we will make our run.

But secondly and more importantly, I believe we are on the cusp of substantially improving our rotation. I started the season extremely excited as I thought we had the makings of a great rotation with Hughes and Kennedy being joined by Joba a few months in.

Problem was that IPK and Phil (understandably) were overwhelmed and lost focus when they were both "given" a rotation spot on "The NY Yankees", and then were both "chosen" over the great Santana. I do not hold it against them that they didn't handle it, as they were both in a very unique situation. And I don't believe it casts any additional doubt going forward. I think it was just "their" personal growing pains that we all expected would come at some point (I just didn't think it would be as soon as it was)

In Kennedy's case he even developed a mechanical flaw of throwing more across his body than usual. In Hughes case he somehow broke a rib. Now I am very much looking forward to getting back the same pitchers who contributed so mightily in our stretch run last year, and I am very confident we will.

IPK is ready NOW, having thrown 3 (full pitch limit) games, and dominating in all 3 as he is again pitching with a lot of confidence having corrected the mechanical flaw . I hope is comes up this week.

And Phil is well on his way too, having pitched 3 impressive innings in his first rehab start this past week.

I still have faith in both of them and still believe that they have much more upside to any waiver pickup we may get. Enough upside to start believing that #27 (even without Wang and Posada) is within our reach, especially when combined with the fact that Joba has already shown he is a legitimate ace.

Having watched us weather a lot of storms, and finding ourselves only 4.5 games out of 1st and 1.5 games behind the Mannyless RS, I like our chances of not only reaching the playoffs but winning againt anyone including the Angles to reach the WS. Joba, Phil and IPK ... the fairytale story is STILL a possibility and I'm finally getting excited again.

ebas
08-01-08, 05:01 PM
Having watched us weather a lot of storms, and finding ourselves only 4.5 games out of 1st and 1.5 games behind the Mannyless RS, I like our chances of not only reaching the playoffs but winning againt anyone including the Angles to reach the WS. Joba, Phil and IPK ... the fairytale story is STILL a possibility and I'm finally getting excited again.

Great post. I think a starter or two from the minors/rehab will be what we need to get at least the wild card. Kennedy is first up with Hughes, and maybe Wang or even Pavano in the wings. I think that the Yanks will be a lock to get in the post season if they can have 4 consistent starters for the last 2 months. They just have to figure out who that 4th arm will be (assuming Pettitte, Moose and Joba remain consistent.) They can deal with ups and downs in the 5th spot. I'd be fine if they did no better than Rasner in the #5. Lets hope that Kennedy comes in with the same confidence he had late last summer.

Metroidman
08-01-08, 05:02 PM
This post would be reassuring after the 2 Angels series.

JeterRodriguezSheff
08-01-08, 05:06 PM
if we can split this series, I will feel happy.

A split against the best team in baseball when your team is 3 pitchers away from being at full strength, and we didnt have Joba going, would make me feel a lot better.

dpedan2
08-01-08, 05:27 PM
if we can split this series, I will feel happy.

A split against the best team in baseball when your team is 3 pitchers away from being at full strength, and we didnt have Joba going, would make me feel a lot better.

They'll see Joba next saturday...maybe kennedy friday and pettitte sunday

YanksFan1992
08-01-08, 05:28 PM
I was confident November 1, 2007, was still confident May 1 this year and am still very confident.

We've made the playoffs 13 years in a row, so I feel we should be able to give the Yankees the benefit of the doubt this year.

TEPLimey
08-01-08, 05:29 PM
Before I read the first post, I assumed an Angels fan had registered on these boards.

TheJobaRules
08-01-08, 05:37 PM
Considering the bear of a schedule this team is facing for August, they probably aren't making the playoffs. Losing home games to the likes of the Orioles, Indians, Tigers, Royals, and Reds will come back to haunt them.

I really, really hope I'm wrong.

JeffWeaverFan
08-01-08, 06:12 PM
The 9 games left we have against the Angels is the only thing that is concerning me.

E-Rod
08-01-08, 11:16 PM
We improved our position players but i think that is the second time in less than a week that Betemit started a game and if he starts more games until the end of the season our chances will decrease just like Melky's hitting stats.

-tz
08-01-08, 11:30 PM
We improved our position players but i think that is the second time in less than a week that Betemit started a game and if he starts more games until the end of the season our chances will decrease just like Melky's hitting stats.Girardi didn't have much choice ... Nady had a sore quad.

And what do you know, Betemit had a hit, which is more than you can say for A-Rod, Giambi, Cano, Pudge Rod, and the ever popular Melky Cabrera.

False1
08-01-08, 11:39 PM
Well, this thread is awkward in its timing, eh?

JohnnyDamonfan
08-01-08, 11:43 PM
We win Saturday and Sunday. Bet on it!

TheGameEpisode2
08-01-08, 11:53 PM
I Believe in the New York Yankees.

-tz
08-02-08, 12:12 AM
We win Saturday and Sunday. Bet on it!Sorry, I need every quarter I've got right now.

E-Rod
08-02-08, 12:14 AM
Girardi didn't have much choice ... Nady had a sore quad.

And what do you know, Betemit had a hit, which is more than you can say for A-Rod, Giambi, Cano, Pudge Rod, and the ever popular Melky Cabrera.
Talking about hitting :

After the All Star :

BA OPS

Melky .308 .718
Cano .368 .976
Giambi .290 .837
A-Rod .408 .1247
Pudge .358 .876
We have great players with good performance but the team performance isn't the same. The Angels' players aren't better than the Yankees' players but the Angels' team is better than the Yankees.

I'm tired of having a great team in the paper and a not so great team in the field.

Going back to Betemit, i think he is an useful player in a good team but in the Yankees he is just one more that try to fix it everything in just one swing, maybe it is time to change that mentality in the Yankees but we will need a few different players then.

BroadwayBomber55
08-02-08, 12:47 AM
In order to win their 27th World Championship in 2008, the Yankees need to earn it by execution on the field, no matter what.

BroadwayBomber55
08-02-08, 12:51 AM
We win Saturday and Sunday. Bet on it!
The Yankees were left for dead after losing the first two games against the Red Sox in a 4-game set in Yankee Stadium back in the Fourth of July weekend, but bounced back to earn two wins to split the series.

Come on Yankees, do the same. Don't panic and keep it simple stupid: work the count, hit the ball to all fields, throw quality strikes, and make ALL the plays.

diehardyankeefan
08-02-08, 12:56 AM
The Yankees were left for dead after losing the first two games against the Red Sox in a 4-game set in Yankee Stadium back in the Fourth of July weekend, but bounced back to earn two wins to split the series.

Come on Yankees, do the same. Don't panic and keep it simple stupid: work the count, hit the ball to all fields, throw quality strikes, and make ALL the plays.
Hopefully they can get my hopes back up.

ober0n98
08-02-08, 12:58 AM
Talking about hitting :

After the All Star :

BA OPS

Melky .308 .718
Cano .368 .976
Giambi .290 .837
A-Rod .408 .1247
Pudge .358 .876
We have great players with good performance but the team performance isn't the same. The Angels' players aren't better than the Yankees' players but the Angels' team is better than the Yankees.

I'm tired of having a great team in the paper and a not so great team in the field.

Going back to Betemit, i think he is an useful player in a good team but in the Yankees he is just one more that try to fix it everything in just one swing, maybe it is time to change that mentality in the Yankees but we will need a few different players then.

agreed. chemistry and team play isn't about just liking one another. it's about buying into the premise of not always trying to be the hero, but more of being the one who extends a rally whether it be a walk, a hit by ball, or single.

montrealer
08-02-08, 08:48 AM
Pass me that pipe you`re tokin on.

Nome
08-02-08, 08:58 AM
First I think we have improved by a substantial margin our 'position players' with whom we will make our run.

But secondly and more importantly, I believe we are on the cusp of substantially improving our rotation. I started the season extremely excited as I thought we had the makings of a great rotation with Hughes and Kennedy being joined by Joba a few months in.

Problem was that IPK and Phil (understandably) were overwhelmed and lost focus when they were both "given" a rotation spot on "The NY Yankees", and then were both "chosen" over the great Santana. I do not hold it against them that they didn't handle it, as they were both in a very unique situation. And I don't believe it casts any additional doubt going forward. I think it was just "their" personal growing pains that we all expected would come at some point (I just didn't think it would be as soon as it was)

In Kennedy's case he even developed a mechanical flaw of throwing more across his body than usual. In Hughes case he somehow broke a rib. Now I am very much looking forward to getting back the same pitchers who contributed so mightily in our stretch run last year, and I am very confident we will.

IPK is ready NOW, having thrown 3 (full pitch limit) games, and dominating in all 3 as he is again pitching with a lot of confidence having corrected the mechanical flaw . I hope is comes up this week.

And Phil is well on his way too, having pitched 3 impressive innings in his first rehab start this past week.

I still have faith in both of them and still believe that they have much more upside to any waiver pickup we may get. Enough upside to start believing that #27 (even without Wang and Posada) is within our reach, especially when combined with the fact that Joba has already shown he is a legitimate ace.

Lots of good points but I am more excited about our chances in 2009 when Wang is back, Giambi is gone and the DH logjam (including Damon and Matsui) is resolved through trades/releases.
Andy

BRNXBMRS
08-02-08, 09:01 AM
Pass me that pipe you`re tokin on.
Pack it up for me too, this thread is perfect timing.

genius-24
08-02-08, 10:06 AM

Jeter isn't good captain. He is an icon in the country but nothing in the clubhouse. I don't know why Jeter is called the captain. He doesn't deserve it nor does anyone in the team.

Believe me things will be beter b.c Torre is out of here. Girardi is better at these things.

Nome
08-02-08, 12:11 PM
Jeter isn't good captain. He is an icon in the country but nothing in the clubhouse. I don't know why Jeter is called the captain. He doesn't deserve it nor does anyone in the team.

Believe me things will be beter b.c Torre is out of here. Girardi is better at these

things.

Jeter being a Captain neither helps or hurts the team. It's a nonissue. He was named Captain by George and he has the right to do it since he foots the bills.

I was not a Torre fan during the past two or three years but what are the "things" that Girardi is better at that you refer to? I like Girardi but it's too early to tell how good a manager he will be. I haven't seen anything exceptional to date
Andy

montrealer
08-02-08, 12:13 PM
Jeter being a Captain neither helps or hurts the team. It's a nonissue. He was named Captain by George and he has the right to do it since he foots the bills.

I was not a Torre fan during the past two or three years but what are the "things" that Girardi is better at that you refer to? I like Girardi but it's too early to tell how good a manager he will be. I haven't seen anything exceptional to date
Andy

Again.....I must concur with Andy...............What "Things"? Not to open up a can of worms here on Joe........but Joe`s shown me nothing yet. It`s still to early in this venture to judge him.

aeromac76
08-02-08, 12:33 PM
I was pumped about our chances until the Angels came to town, and the fact we have 8 more against them..

JfromJersey
08-02-08, 12:41 PM

Believe me things will be beter b.c Torre is out of here. Girardi is better at these things.

So if we miss out on the post season in Girardi's 1st year will you reassess Torre's value? Or Girardi's?
As for Jeter, he was made captain because of his image, character, and success. He leads by example, and by cheerleading during games. He's not a vocal, fiery, in your face kind of guy when things aren't going well, and I don't think he's ever called for a players only meeting. Whether that would help or not is anyone's guess.

Gigi Buffon
08-02-08, 12:44 PM
I was pumped about our chances until the Angels came to town, and the fact we have 8 more against them..

The reality is that this may be the worst NYY team since 1993. Still, I'm very glad that Joe Girardi is managing this team.

genius-24
08-02-08, 01:31 PM

Andy
Girardi doesn't sit on his butt and let the players figure out their problems b.c "they are veterans and they know how to handle themselves".

Second and most important thing, our 'Pen. I believe this part should be self explainatory.

Girardi has confidence in younger players even if they don't perform that well in their initial stint which rubs off on those players, for most part Torre only had confidence in older players.

jeterdaman
08-02-08, 01:32 PM
Well that was short lived :p

genius-24
08-02-08, 01:36 PM
So if we miss out on the post season in Girardi's 1st year will you reassess Torre's value? Or Girardi's?
I will still consider Girardi better manager and I would still want him next year over Torre.

Performance of team is dependant on many things which also involves managing. Yanks have had many key injuries but Girardi has gotten most out of young guys who have filled key holes.

SoCal Pinstriper
08-02-08, 01:56 PM
I will still consider Girardi better manager and I would still want him next year over Torre.

I give JoeG a lot of credit for the way that the pen has developed in-season.

montrealer
08-02-08, 01:56 PM
Girardi doesn't sit on his butt and let the players figure out their problems b.c "they are veterans and they know how to handle themselves".

Second and most important thing, our 'Pen. I believe this part should be self explainatory.

Girardi has confidence in younger players even if they don't perform that well in their initial stint which rubs off on those players, for most part Torre only had confidence in older players.

This is your opinion and that`s fine......but you`re 2nd statement I would chalk up that they actually performed to their potiential as oposed to stinking up the joint.

Mr.Muhozi
08-02-08, 02:21 PM
Girardi is great when it comes to bullpen management except for using mariano in tied games. The only quip i have with Girardi is the lineup, using slumping players high up, and benching players who are hot

JL25and3
08-02-08, 02:31 PM
Huh? What has he done that shows you that? Seems to me that there have been plenty of players who have had troubles this year, and Girardi's basic response has been to keep playing them every day with the assumption that they'll get better. What are you referring to?

Girardi has confidence in younger players even if they don't perform that well in their initial stint which rubs off on those players, for most part Torre only had confidence in older players.I don't really understand what this means, either. He's played two younger players - Cano and Melky. I don't know if he had "confidence" in them; if so, he had way too much, because both of them were hurting the team significantly in the first half, and mere "confidence" shouldn't have been enough reason to keep them out there. Besides, isn't that exactly contrary to your first point?

It might not have been Girardi's "confidence" in them, though, so much as his "not having any alternative."

I think you greatly underestimate Torre's willingness to play young players; he broke in quite a few of them, from Jeter to Melky. But, honestly, there isn't even any reason to go into that. Torre's gone, remember? It's long past time to be praising Girardi because you didn't like Torre. Torre isn't relevant to the discussion anymore. Girardi's performance needs to be judged on its own, period.

His handling of the bullpen has been excellent. I wish he were more flexible in his use of the rest of the team. Aside from that, I don't see what there is to get excited about. I hope he gets better than this, but he's not bad.

Nome
08-02-08, 07:52 PM

Sorry, the difference so far is miniscule. Girardi still plays veterans like Giambi, when they obviously are struggling. He still does lots of things that Torre did like let Molina catch for Mussina; he does handle the pen better ut ass I said it is too eatly to see major differences

Andy

genius-24
08-02-08, 08:53 PM
This is your opinion and that`s fine......but you`re 2nd statement I would chalk up that they actually performed to their potiential as oposed to stinking up the joint.
Exactly. You fell for it ;)

But seriously what can a manager do? Try to help everyone reach their potential, that's his ultimate job.

genius-24
08-02-08, 09:44 PM
Huh? What has he done that shows you that? Seems to me that there have been plenty of players who have had troubles this year, and Girardi's basic response has been to keep playing them every day with the assumption that they'll get better. What are you referring to?
I don't want to dig up yes network archive for Joe pres conferences but if something hits me I will let you know. Apparantly, I have very poor memory. But I concede my point until I give you solid evidence.

I don't really understand what this means, either. He's played two younger players - Cano and Melky. I don't know if he had "confidence" in them; if so, he had way too much, because both of them were hurting the team significantly in the first half, and mere "confidence" shouldn't have been enough reason to keep them out there. Besides, isn't that exactly contrary to your first point?

Jose Veras and Edwar Ramirez.

JL25and3
08-02-08, 10:07 PM
I don't want to dig up yes network archive for Joe pres conferences but if something hits me I will let you know. Apparantly, I have very poor memory. But I concede my point until I give you solid evidence.

Jose Veras and Edwar Ramirez.Fair enough. As I said, he's been very good with the bullpen.

JeterRodriguezSheff
08-02-08, 10:17 PM
Well we already did better against this team than Boston did. I guess that can be taken as a moral victory.

Im still PISSED that we would be going for 3 of 4 if the offense scored 2 runs(maybe even just 1)