PDA

View Full Version : Bay or Nady

dont_ya_know24
07-23-08, 11:24 AM
If the Yankees are going to get an outfielder it will most likely be Bay or Nady.

Nady is a much better defender than Bay, and is hitting for a higher average.
many people say he is having a career year though. He will also be cheaper than Bay too.

Bay is hitting for more power, has been more consistent over the years, and will very likely provide compensation at the end of his deal. he stinks in the field though, so it will be like adding another DH.

i don't know, bay will cost more, but how much more value can he possibly have over nady. i would also trust Bay more to help keep this offense going more than Nady, so if we were to trade for one of them, who would it be?

Yankee Tripper
07-23-08, 11:28 AM
I'd go Bay if we could. He's team friendly at $7.5M next year is only 29 and is a consistent offensive force throughout his career with the exception of last year which was kind of down. That Pit park isn't exacly homer friendly if I rememeber right so even though the Bronx isn't kind to most righties, we shouldn't see that much of a power drop.

JavyVazquezIsSick
07-23-08, 11:34 AM
Can't say without knowing what we would have to give up for each.

Dannman103
07-23-08, 11:37 AM
Bay, but he'll cost more to get.

dont_ya_know24
07-23-08, 11:38 AM
i think Kennedy and Ohlendorf is ideal. knowing pittsburg they'd probably ask for more though.

i really don't think we need to go after marte in the deal too. he's not THAT good against lefties this year, and we already have a solid bullpen. the only reason we should get him is he will provide compensation picks.

bigjf
07-23-08, 11:42 AM
Tough choice. Both would be expensive but possibly good options. I'd be concerned with the price though. Nady long-term would concern me (price on him is way too high for a rental) and I'm 50/50 on Bay.

YanksFan1992
07-23-08, 11:44 AM
I would rather have Bay, but he would probably cost quite a bit more than Nady.

Although I voted for Nady, it really is 50/50 for me.

Yankee Tripper
07-23-08, 11:45 AM
Tough choice. Both would be expensive but possibly good options. I'd be concerned with the price though. Nady long-term would concern me (price on him is way too high for a rental) and I'm 50/50 on Bay.
Isn't Nady under club control through 2009 or 2010? He doesn't have a contract but isn't eligible for FA until the end of 2009 at the earliest. How is that a rental?

yankeesrule2000
07-23-08, 11:46 AM
I voted for Bay.

TheGameEpisode2
07-23-08, 11:49 AM
I voted for Bay, but I think Nady is more likely.

THEBOSS84
07-23-08, 11:54 AM
I have no interest in Nady.

ThunderFan
07-23-08, 11:55 AM
Hmm Mediocre player having a career year or 900 OPS 29 year old who the yankees can stick in LF for 5 years... Touch choice...

ShaneTravis
07-23-08, 11:57 AM
Take the guy with the career Ops+ 130 not the guy having a career year with an Ops+130

Prison Mike
07-23-08, 12:00 PM
Bay.

Nady will come down to earth in the 2nd half and just clog up our outfield situation. Let the Mets have him.

bcom33
07-23-08, 12:01 PM
Bay, way more consistent over the years.

Brick Tamland
07-23-08, 12:01 PM
I voted Bay. Nady might be cheaper but I don't think he's going to keep this torrid pace up and suddenly become a 140 OPS+ guy in the AL East at the age of 29. Stop dicking around and get the best guy available.

bigjf
07-23-08, 12:42 PM
Isn't Nady under club control through 2009 or 2010? He doesn't have a contract but isn't eligible for FA until the end of 2009 at the earliest. How is that a rental?

You're right, I didn't look at the contract until now. He's not a rental, but he's playing out of his mind right now. He might be a fit, but I wouldn't expect him to duplicate what he's doing now.

webassign
07-23-08, 02:01 PM
Nady as a stopgap for this year, or Holliday for the long term future. I don't want any part of Bay.

primetime714
07-23-08, 02:09 PM
I was one of the very few to vote for Nady and its not because I think he is by any means a better player than Bay, I just think he will cost a lot less and fills our needs.

Yes, Nady is having a career year and his value is as high as its every going to be. However that doesn't mean he was bad before this year. He's always been a very solid player. He likely won't continue at this pace, but he'll always be a contributor to the lineup and team he is on.

The two key elements to me preferring Nady is cost (in prospects) and his defensive ability. The Pirates don't want to deal Bay, so that means that if they do we're going to be giving up an arm and a leg. With their OF pretty much set (McCutchen is ready) I'd imagine they'd be asking for a several of our highly ranked pitching prospects (Kennedy, Melancon, Betances, McCallister, Brackman, Horne, and McCutchen). Even a combination of a couple of those guys probably wouldn't get it done for Bay. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they demanded that Montero be part of the deal for Bay.

Now for Nady I think we could get something done with only one or two of our highly ranked pitching propsects and some lesser ranked prospects like an Ohlendorf.

Nady would slot in nicely into RF next year with Abreu gone and can switch between LF, RF, and 1B this year giving us plenty of lineup flexibility. Bay can only really play LF and isn't that great there. I suppose we could move Damon back to CF, but then we're still looking for a RF unless we want to go with Melky there.

In essence though the real problem in my mind is the cost. I'd take Nady for Kennedy and Ohlendorf over Bay for Montero, Kennedy, and Ohlendorf. Although I'm just taking a guess at the cost there.

dont_ya_know24
07-23-08, 02:13 PM
I was one of the very few to vote for Nady and its not because I think he is by any means a better player than Bay, I just think he will cost a lot less and fills our needs.

Yes, Nady is having a career year and his value is as high as its every going to be. However that doesn't mean he was bad before this year. He's always been a very solid player. He likely won't continue at this pace, but he'll always be a contributor to the lineup and team he is on.

The two key elements to me preferring Nady is cost (in prospects) and his defensive ability. The Pirates don't want to deal Bay, so that means that if they do we're going to be giving up an arm and a leg. With their OF pretty much set (McCutchen is ready) I'd imagine they'd be asking for a several of our highly ranked pitching prospects (Kennedy, Melancon, Betances, McCallister, Brackman, Horne, and McCutchen). Even a combination of a couple of those guys probably wouldn't get it done for Bay. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they demanded that Montero be part of the deal for Bay.

Now for Nady I think we could get something done with only one or two of our highly ranked pitching propsects and some lesser ranked prospects like an Ohlendorf.

Nady would slot in nicely into RF next year with Abreu gone and can switch between LF, RF, and 1B this year giving us plenty of lineup flexibility. Bay can only really play LF and isn't that great there. I suppose we could move Damon back to CF, but then we're still looking for a RF unless we want to go with Melky there.

In essence though the real problem in my mind is the cost. I'd take Nady for Kennedy and Ohlendorf over Bay for Montero, Kennedy, and Ohlendorf. Although I'm just taking a guess at the cost there.

montero will not be traded.

primetime714
07-23-08, 02:22 PM

I don't think so either, but if we wanted Bay I wouldn't be surprised if the Pirates asked the deal to start with Montero.

You can't get players of Bay's quality without giving up some of your top prospects. Kennedy + is not going to get it done. The Pirates aren't looking for another OF, so scratch Jackson off the list. That means that it would take a VERY impressive package of pitchers like Melancon, Betances, Kennedy/Horne, and Ohlendorf or it'll take the inclusion of Montero.

I don't want Bay at that price.

I'd rather go after Nady who could be had for something reasonable and would be a solid contributor to this team at a reasonable salary.

Brick Tamland
07-23-08, 02:25 PM

But the thing is he won't cost less. The Pirates are asking almost as much as Bay, if not as much prospect-wise as Bay.

YankeePride1967
07-23-08, 02:27 PM
Can't say without knowing what we would have to give up for each.

Exactly.

The Comic Book Guy
07-23-08, 02:31 PM
My understanding is that the Pirates' demands for Bay (and Nady, and Marte...) are ridiculous.

They're not gonna trade Bay in a salary dump, so I'd just stay away from them altogether.

See what the Padres want for Brian Giles. He's in the last guaranteed year of his contract.

NelsonMuntz
07-23-08, 02:34 PM
This is a no brainer. Bay is a legitimate stud. Nady is a league average player having a career year.

Bay Career OPS+ 131
Nady Career OPS+ 108

NewEraYanks2527
07-23-08, 02:43 PM
Holliday

But since he isn't a choice I'll go with Bay.

dont_ya_know24
07-23-08, 02:44 PM
I don't think so either, but if we wanted Bay I wouldn't be surprised if the Pirates asked the deal to start with Montero.

You can't get players of Bay's quality without giving up some of your top prospects. Kennedy + is not going to get it done. The Pirates aren't looking for another OF, so scratch Jackson off the list. That means that it would take a VERY impressive package of pitchers like Melancon, Betances, Kennedy/Horne, and Ohlendorf or it'll take the inclusion of Montero.

I don't want Bay at that price.

I'd rather go after Nady who could be had for something reasonable and would be a solid contributor to this team at a reasonable salary.

if we were going to trade those prospects, i'd rather them be for Holliday.

primetime714
07-23-08, 03:04 PM
But the thing is he won't cost less. The Pirates are asking almost as much as Bay, if not as much prospect-wise as Bay.

The Pirates can ask for whatever they want the simple fact is that Bay is a superior palyer and would command more in a deal.

Also as I've understood the situation the Pirates don't want to deal Bay at all and are asking for too much for Nady. If that is true there is no way they're asking for a similar amount for Nady as they are for Bay. That just doesn't make any sense.

primetime714
07-23-08, 03:07 PM
if we were going to trade those prospects, i'd rather them be for Holliday.

Who wouldn't. However its the simple principal of a better player will almost always net a better package. So if you want Holliday instead of Bay you up the price. Just like if you want Bay instead of Nady.

Unless people are ok with dealing the likes of Jackson, Hughes, or Montero its unlikely that we'll be able to do much better than Nady.

dont_ya_know24
07-23-08, 03:27 PM
Who wouldn't. However its the simple principal of a better player will almost always net a better package. So if you want Holliday instead of Bay you up the price. Just like if you want Bay instead of Nady.

Unless people are ok with dealing the likes of Jackson, Hughes, or Montero its unlikely that we'll be able to do much better than Nady.

yes but those prospects are too much for Bay.

scooterfan
07-23-08, 03:32 PM
yes but those prospects are too much for Bay.

I agree... but that's the problem. When you deal at the trade deadline, you're not getting equal value for value. A guy is worth what other teams will pay for him.

If a team creates a bidding war for a guy (as with Gagne last year), they can get a bounty in return.

The smartest things to do as a buyer?
- Don't fall in love with any one guy. Make a list, and keep in mind what you'll give up for each guy
- Wait til the deadline draws closer. Teams sometimes hold on too long to their vets, and find that their trading partners have already filled their needs.

Jumpman_DJ
07-23-08, 06:32 PM

If the pirates did ask for him then we should counter and ask for Ronny Paulino as a throw in.

Brick Tamland
07-23-08, 06:59 PM
The Pirates can ask for whatever they want the simple fact is that Bay is a superior palyer and would command more in a deal.

Also as I've understood the situation the Pirates don't want to deal Bay at all and are asking for too much for Nady. If that is true there is no way they're asking for a similar amount for Nady as they are for Bay. That just doesn't make any sense.

That's the word on the street dude. I got my ear to the pavement.

Bleacher_Creature
07-24-08, 08:10 AM
Pirates lower asking price for Nady (http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/59271)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/jon_heyman/07/23/heyman.nady/index.html?eref=T1

The word is that the asking price for Pirates (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/55) outfielder Xavier Nady (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/3497) has "loosened'' a tad, and that Pittsburgh seems more interested than before in trading him. The Pirates (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/55) were said a couple weeks ago by the New York Post to be seeking "two top prospects'' for Nady, who's having a big year (12 HRs, 56 RBIs, .327), but that seems to have come down a tad.

ppa79
07-24-08, 08:58 AM
Pirates lower asking price for Nady (http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/59271)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/jon_heyman/07/23/heyman.nady/index.html?eref=T1

The word is that the asking price for Pirates (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/55) outfielder Xavier Nady (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/3497) has "loosened'' a tad, and that Pittsburgh seems more interested than before in trading him. The Pirates (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/55) were said a couple weeks ago by the New York Post to be seeking "two top prospects'' for Nady, who's having a big year (12 HRs, 56 RBIs, .327), but that seems to have come down a tad.

Hopefully they will lower their price for Bay. I'm not a big fan of Nady. IMO, this year is an aberration for him.

knickfan23
07-24-08, 09:03 AM
My understanding is that the Pirates' demands for Bay (and Nady, and Marte...) are ridiculous.

They're not gonna trade Bay in a salary dump, so I'd just stay away from them altogether.

See what the Padres want for Brian Giles. He's in the last guaranteed year of his contract.

They should have high demands for him. Bay is on pace to having one of his best statistical seasons...AND he is cost controlled for next season (7.5 million) at bargain rates considering the lack of good RF that will be available and the the +.920 OPS he has provided in 3 of the last 4 years.

Trading a top tier prospect for a guy you are paying essentially 9 million total through the end of next season is a bargain.

rajah
07-24-08, 11:20 AM
Once again -- Bay is a LFer, not a RFer, as reports here on his arm are that it is of very poor quality.

Of course, with Damon's shoulder condition, it may be that the Y's need a LFer to finish this season, but Bay is not a long run replacement for RF.