PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Abreu: Do we resign?

Yankeesfan811
07-21-08, 04:46 PM
I know Bobby Abreu is getting older and he isn't having one of his best years.

That being said, he is the person in the lineup that balances it out. He takes a ton of pitches, and he bats right before Arod (which alex has said many times, helps him).

Do we try to resign Abreu to a 1 or 2 year deal? or do we cut our ties with him?

opinions please

YanksFan1992
07-21-08, 04:48 PM
We have to.

This year he hasn't been too bad, and if we fail to re-sign him and don't get another good outfielder we would be left with Gardner/Christian, Melky and Matsui (who is getting older and we don't know how his injury will affect him). Seeing how in my view there is no one currently in the minors who is a viable option in the outfield for Opening Day next year, unless we can get someone better in free-agency, I'd say we have to sign him.

Yankeesfan811
07-21-08, 04:53 PM
I agree, any other takes?

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
07-21-08, 04:55 PM
One year sounds good - no guarantee he'd take it, of course.

stupidpunchline
07-21-08, 04:56 PM
Let him walk. Take the picks.

DEADSOX
07-21-08, 04:56 PM
I'd like to say no to resigning him, but there's no real obvious replacement. He's definitely in decline I think, OPS+ has steadily been decreasing from year to year and he's not getting on base as much as he used to. He has a good arm, but his fear of the wall is sometimes frustrating as he misses out on quite a few balls that should be caught. I really do like Abreu, but he's not the same guy we signed two years ago. That being said, can't think of anyone else to replace him that would do a better job. Hopefully he'll have a monster second half.

Toaderly
07-21-08, 04:57 PM
Two years, please.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
07-21-08, 04:58 PM
To expound on what I said early, if Matsui was healthy and Gardner/Christian was showing more, I'd be ok letting him walk - but what's the alternative?

Mean Linguine
07-21-08, 04:58 PM
I'd take him for 1-2 years. He's still a good hitter and corner outfielder. And the new stadium will have better padding for those outfield walls that he so hates.;)
The bigger question is, would he take the Yankees for 1-2 years.

shum87nyy
07-21-08, 05:53 PM
i believe this tread belongs "inside the lines", perhaps?

NYDCYankee
07-21-08, 05:56 PM
I say no, let him walk, I think the offense nees an overhaul.

Dustin563
07-21-08, 06:00 PM
Maybe, but he shouldn't hit third.

Yankee Fan in Boston
07-21-08, 06:05 PM
One year, and less than $16 million, assuming he doesn't have an offensive uptick. I doubt he can get more (money) elsewhere -- the Phillies practically gave the guy away.

R.V.47
07-21-08, 06:29 PM
We will probably be faced with the same problem as last offseason in that there wont be anyone that much better at his position available. Hopefully we can pull off a trade for Holliday or Bay either this year or in the offseason. Otherwise I dont see any other option on the FA market or from within the system.

JavyVazquezIsSick
07-21-08, 08:09 PM
No, take the picks.

Yankees13
07-21-08, 08:11 PM
My answer is no, but I have no idea who replaces him, so we may have to keep him.

kan_t
07-21-08, 08:12 PM
He can't play D anymore. He has the arm, but he has no range. No need to sign another DH and I rather take the picks.

JavyVazquezIsSick
07-21-08, 08:12 PM
Yet another reason why we should trade for Holliday, Bay, or Nady.

gdn
07-21-08, 08:31 PM
Abreu asked if we should resign? From what? The American League? If so, then the answer is a resounding no.

Actually, either way the answer is no.

Prison Mike
07-21-08, 08:41 PM
Cash needs to get creative and find a replacement. Abreu won't take a 1 year deal, and I don't want him for any more than that.

nnysiny
07-21-08, 08:43 PM
go for one year. theres no realistic alternative, and you cant rush AJ

VinnyTheMick
07-22-08, 10:05 AM
Yes for a 1-2 year deal. Who replaces him? We cannot rush our young outfielders.

montrealer
07-22-08, 10:08 AM
Nope......some team will give him a 3-4 year deal no doubt for more money than he`s worth.

Bozidar
07-22-08, 10:10 AM
re-sign

vastly different than

resign

THEBOSS84
07-22-08, 10:15 AM
Unless he is willing to sign for one year (which I can't see happening), let him walk. I don't want the FO to give another multi-year contract out to a player in his mid-30's.

dabomb2045
07-22-08, 10:16 AM
I say let him walk....he's on the downside

primetime714
07-22-08, 10:20 AM
Offer arbitration, nothing more. While still effective he is clearly on the decline.

THEBOSS84
07-22-08, 10:21 AM
If Bobby has a second half like he did last season, a lot of opinions here may change. Not mine though.

dabomb2045
07-22-08, 10:23 AM
If Bobby has a second half like he did last season, a lot of opinions here may change. Not mine though.

What does the FA market look like for RF's? I dont think we should keep Abreu either...but we do need to find someone for next year

THEBOSS84
07-22-08, 10:26 AM
What does the FA market look like for RF's? I dont think we should keep Abreu either...but we do need to find someone for next year

WEAK.

I checked it a while back and it was underwhelming.

Milton Bradley may be the answer on a 3 year deal, as scary as that sounds.

Zimmers' Helmet
07-22-08, 10:26 AM
It would be a mistake to re-sign Abreu after this season.
He has been in a steady decline since 2005; it's time to go in a different, younger direction.

Brick Tamland
07-22-08, 10:34 AM
I voted no but if Abreu would accept a 1 yr deal for say $10M I'd resign him. He would never accept such a low ball offer IMO so I don't see him coming back next season.

I have no idea who gets brought in to replace his production however.

Zimmers' Helmet
07-22-08, 10:42 AM
I voted no but if Abreu would accept a 1 yr deal for say $10M I'd resign him. He would never accept such a low ball offer IMO so I don't see him coming back next season.

I have no idea who gets brought in to replace his production however.

Replacing a .780 OPS won't be that hard to do, and I'm sure that it can be done for much less than $16 million a year. ;)

Brick Tamland
07-22-08, 10:45 AM
Replacing a .780 OPS won't be that hard to do, and I'm sure that it can be done for much less than $16 million a year. ;)

Agreed. Abreu does have a good arm and fields his position well. He's not going to go running into walls but he plays a decent RF. Who else is a FA who is as good defensively and offensively as Abreu? He is in decline and you are right, far too expensive, so ultimately, I say let him go. Still, who do you replace him with?

yankeesnumber1
07-22-08, 10:48 AM
I give him another two years.

JeffWeaverFan
07-22-08, 10:48 AM
Definitely not. His decline is one of the big reasons the offense has struggled. It is absolutely insane for the Yankees to re-sign a 35 year old bad defending corner outfielder who just declined to a sub .800 OPS.

Because of the lack of options out there, I think the Yankees have to strongly consider Adam Dunn, if they think he can play RF on an everyday basis at least as well (or badly) as Abreu.

Derek2HOF
07-22-08, 10:51 AM
Agreed. Abreu does have a good arm and fields his position well. He's not going to go running into walls but he plays a decent RF. Who else is a FA who is as good defensively and offensively as Abreu? He is in decline and you are right, far too expensive, so ultimately, I say let him go. Still, who do you replace him with?

Exactly! The problem with not resigning him is that you have to replace the production. There is nobody in our farm system ready to do that yet, maybe one day, but not right now. I would sign him to a 2 year deal with the idea that we need to find his replacement in those two years.

If Dunn and Bradley are out best FA options I would definitely give Bobby a 2 year deal.

THEBOSS84
07-22-08, 10:51 AM
Definitely not. His decline is one of the big reasons the offense has struggled. It is absolutely insane for the Yankees to re-sign a 35 year old bad defending corner outfielder who just declined to a sub .800 OPS.

Because of the lack of options out there, I think the Yankees have to strongly consider Adam Dunn, if they think he can play RF on an everyday basis at least as well (or badly) as Abreu.

I am a major Anti-Dunn guy. He will definitely get 4-5 years in this market. I understand his high OPS from year to year, I am just not a fan of his. And no, I'm not J.P. Riccardi.

NYYDragoon
07-22-08, 10:59 AM
Nope, unless MAYBE it's for one year. But I really would like to see our outfield get younger.

Cheesyhoboe
07-22-08, 11:02 AM
Abreu is a disaster defensively and his offense isn't all that much better. He should be a last resort for us to sign if we can't find any other options in right field through a trade or whatever rabbit Cashman can pull out of his hat.

JeffWeaverFan
07-22-08, 11:03 AM
I am a major Anti-Dunn guy. He will definitely get 4-5 years in this market. I understand his high OPS from year to year, I am just not a fan of his. And no, I'm not J.P. Riccardi.
His .380 OBP and .550 SLG will help the offense... And to be honest, I don't think he'll get 5 years in this market, as I think a lot of GM's are wary of him a bit. I could see a 4 year deal getting it done.

THEBOSS84
07-22-08, 11:05 AM
His .380 OBP and .550 SLG will help the offense... And to be honest, I don't think he'll get 5 years in this market, as I think a lot of GM's are wary of him a bit. I could see a 4 year deal getting it done.

There aren't that many hitters who hit 40 homers a year every year. He's not 30 yet either. He'll get more than 4 years. I understand the offense he brings, I just want someone who is in the athletic mold, not a butcher in the field to add to our depth at DH/1B.

JeffWeaverFan
07-22-08, 11:19 AM
There aren't that many hitters who hit 40 homers a year every year. He's not 30 yet either. He'll get more than 4 years. I understand the offense he brings, I just want someone who is in the athletic mold, not a butcher in the field to add to our depth at DH/1B.
Fair enough, but unless your bringing in Milton Bradley, there really aren't that many options out there.

THEBOSS84
07-22-08, 11:21 AM
Fair enough, but unless your bringing in Milton Bradley, there really aren't that many options out there.

I recommended Bradley earlier in the thread. As another poster said, it's not as difficult as it seems to replace a .780 OPS from an RF. An RF who can't play the field.

webassign
07-22-08, 11:48 AM
Unless Cashman has legitimate replacements in mind, I think a 1 year deal around 10-13 million with a team option for 2010 would be best.

NYjeter02
07-22-08, 11:58 AM
Give him a one maybe two year deal maximum. There is no reason to keep him longer than that and I cant see Cash just wanting to let him go. Maybe a trade in the future?

ZYanksRule
07-22-08, 12:45 PM
Here's the issue: If we don't re-sign him, who is around that's better? I don't see a logical replacement, so I voted keep him around for a year or 2, (1 year with a team option would be ideal), and hope we can strike gold in the farm system by then.

BennyTheJetRodriguez
07-22-08, 01:10 PM
Bobby Abreu has become an average hitter and a poor fielder. He flashes a good arm every now and then, but its rarely accurate. He plays extreemly deep even in the small Yankee Stadium RF, and is useless on anything near the wall. A .350 obp and .440 slg isn't worth it for a poor fielder.

I'll take Burrell, Dunn, Ibanez, and even Rivera or Edmonds over what Abreu has become when it means getting those picks. There is always the trade market if you don't like those guys.

THEBOSS84
07-22-08, 01:15 PM
Bobby Abreu has become an average hitter and a poor fielder. He flashes a good arm every now and then, but its rarely accurate. He plays extreemly deep even in the small Yankee Stadium RF, and is useless on anything near the wall. A .350 obp and .440 slg isn't worth it for a poor fielder.

I'll take Burrell, Dunn, Ibanez, and even Rivera or Edmonds over what Abreu has become when it means getting those picks. There is always the trade market if you don't like those guys.

Out of all the names you mentioned, Rivera (assuming he's healthy) sounds the best to me on a 2 year deal.

ArodMVP217
07-22-08, 01:19 PM
Carson is deserving of MLB time; he could be a good replacement next year

teknetic
07-22-08, 01:21 PM
For the umpteenth time, I'll say Kevin Mentch. He'll be cheap and he absolutely butchers LH'ers. It's worth a shot.

yankees135
07-22-08, 02:06 PM
i'd let him go, but try to work a trade--even one involving top prospects--for a young outfielder. i know there is an "if" as to whether you can get a fair deal or not, but the yankees need outfield help and Abreu is not a long term solution. IMO, he will get worse and worse as he is getting up there in age and we should get the draft picks while we can. offering him arbitration is okay of course since keeping him for just next year is fine by me.

vin777b
07-22-08, 06:29 PM
I offer, a 1-year deal. We have no one, in the organization, ready to replace his production.

if he refuses, i look at offering Rocco Baldelli, a low-risk/high reward type of offer.

Since95
07-22-08, 06:34 PM
Take the picks.. Take the picks!!

Matsui-San
07-22-08, 06:35 PM
Let Abreu go, take the picks, and sign Adam Dunn. I know his defense is bad, but there's not a ton of ground to cover in RF at the Stadium.

Yankee Fan in Boston
07-22-08, 06:35 PM
Take the picks.. Take the picks!!

And put who in RF?

BennyTheJetRodriguez
07-22-08, 06:54 PM
And put who in RF?
It really wouldn't take a ton to upgrade. Especially defensively.

BxBomber44
07-22-08, 06:56 PM
b/c Tabata isn't close to ready, I think we may have to. Unless we get Denard Span ;)

JeffWeaverFan
07-23-08, 12:19 AM
My idea would be to try to get Adam Dunn right now. Put him in LF and DH when Damon can play the field again, and send Gardner down. I know the team is playing well right now, but with the amount of games this team needs to win to finish out this season, the offense could really use some improvement, and Dunn's .380 OBP and .550 SLG would be a big improvement.

This would do a few things. 1. It would give the Yankees a close look of Dunn to see if he could replace Abreu next year. 2. It would save the Yankees their first round pick if they do sign him. 3. If the Yanks decide not to re-sign him, they would gain 2 picks.

Now of course this would depend on the cost, but I'd have no problem giving up Kennedy+ for the guy, considering your not only greatly improving your offense but also either getting or saving a first round pick in next years draft.

THEBOSS84
07-23-08, 12:22 AM
My idea would be to try to get Adam Dunn right now. Put him in LF and DH when Damon can play the field again, and send Gardner down. I know the team is playing well right now, but with the amount of games this team needs to win to finish out this season, the offense could really use some improvement, and Dunn's .380 OBP and .550 SLG would be a big improvement.

This would do a few things. 1. It would give the Yankees a close look of Dunn to see if he could replace Abreu next year. 2. It would save the Yankees their first round pick if they do sign him. 3. If the Yanks decide not to re-sign him, they would gain 2 picks.

Now of course this would depend on the cost, but I'd have no problem giving up Kennedy+ for the guy, considering your not only greatly improving your offense but also either getting or saving a first round pick in next years draft.

I would do this in a minute, but Dunn will cost more than Kennedy+

JeffWeaverFan
07-23-08, 12:56 AM
I would do this in a minute, but Dunn will cost more than Kennedy+
Seems like GM's across baseball don't think all that highly of Dunn, and he is a rental. Obviously my idea depends on the cost, but I'd love it to at least be investigated.

themgmt
07-23-08, 08:02 AM
I'd keep him as long as they don't have any delusions of him still being the 3-hole hitter. He'd be perfectly fine in the 6/7 hole. I don't think anyone would complain with .280/.360 OBP 18 HR, 30 2B, 20 SB from the 6/7 hole. Also adds balance, patience and speed to the bottom of the lineup.

parkerstrong
07-23-08, 08:16 AM
I voted yes for 1-2 years....but he will probably be offered a deal for 3 years some place else. I dont want him for 3 years, but would first have to see what else is out there for the OF