PDA

View Full Version : Should we deal for a young catcher?

Prison Mike
07-20-08, 07:23 PM
I know it would get Jorge's pants in a bunch, but I really don't care. He should be happy that he got his ridiculous contract over the winter. He kills us behind the plate, and Molina effectively gives us an NL lineup when he starts.

You could say "let's wait for Montero", but he's a long long way off and there's no guarantee he sticks at C. Even if he does, can Molina and Posada really fill that role for 2-3 years?

Should we be calling Texas about one of their young catchers? With Teagarden called up recently, it looks like they're trying to showcase him.

themgmt
07-20-08, 07:30 PM
Teagarden hit .169 in AA and .238 in AAA this year. I don't think they're showcasing him. He's only playing because Salty is nursing an injury (and having an awful year).

And to answer your question, no need to trade for a young catcher just yet. See if Montero pans out as Posada is ushered out of the Catcher's role slowly.. like Girardi was.

Mark19
07-20-08, 08:00 PM
We should make sure the Ronny Paulino comes along in any deal with the Pirates. He has fallen out of favor with them and he is talented enough to split time with Posada over the next few years -- .918 OPS against lefties in 133 MLB games.

dabomb2045
07-20-08, 08:01 PM
We should make sure the Ronny Paulino comes along in any deal with the Pirates. He has fallen out of favor with them and he is talented enough to split time with Posada over the next few years -- .918 OPS against lefties in 133 MLB games.

I dont see us dealing with the Pirates....their FO is notorious for asking way too much in return. God only knows what their asking price is for Nady or Marte. I bet they are asking for AJax.

Yankee Fan in Boston
07-20-08, 08:05 PM
I know it would get Jorge's pants in a bunch, but I really don't care. He should be happy that he got his ridiculous contract over the winter. He kills us behind the plate, and Molina effectively gives us an NL lineup when he starts.

You could say "let's wait for Montero", but he's a long long way off and there's no guarantee he sticks at C. Even if he does, can Molina and Posada really fill that role for 2-3 years?

Should we be calling Texas about one of their young catchers? With Teagarden called up recently, it looks like they're trying to showcase him.

I am not so sure Jorge won't be serviceable once he has surgery this offseason. Yes, he'll be old, but Molina is a solid backup. This wouldn't be my greatest area of concern if I were the Yankees

BRNXBMRS
07-21-08, 07:49 AM
I think everyone in MLB would like a young catcher. If I was the Yanks they should look at some of the AAA catchers that they can take a shot on.

primetime714
07-21-08, 08:13 AM
I am not so sure Jorge won't be serviceable once he has surgery this offseason. Yes, he'll be old, but Molina is a solid backup. This wouldn't be my greatest area of concern if I were the Yankees

I agree. After surgery Posada will be at worst serviceable behind the plate.

BRNXBMRS
07-21-08, 09:07 AM
I agree. After surgery Posada will be at worst serviceable behind the plate.

And 1b

JohnnyDamonfan
07-21-08, 10:40 AM
I think we might be able to deal with the catching we have. I mean who do you suggest we get? There's no way we can really get a Young catcher unless he's a Triple A double A prospect. Teams aren't really willing to give away their young catchers without giving up an arm and a leg for him. You know who I think we should deal for? A center fielder. Gardner and Melky are both bench guys at least. And I really don't think we can wait 2-3 years for Jackson to come up. I know we won't be able to get a good young center fielder. But, come on don't you think we can at least get an okay Center Fielder who can hit just as a temporary fill in until Austin comes up?

Aboit the catching I think we might just have deal with it until Montero comes up unless we deal for a prospect/ give up 90 percent of our farm for Martin or Mauer etc.etc.

primetime714
07-21-08, 12:28 PM
And 1b

The problem is offensively Posada is at best average at 1B, but at C he is among the best. If he can provide us with serviceable defense at the position (i.e. teams don't just run wild on him) he provides us with a great advantage at a position that is typically weak offensively.

Moving him to 1B is a move that should only be made if Posada is unable to play C which I can't see happening before 2010.

BobbyMeacham's glove
07-21-08, 05:38 PM
If Jorge is gone for the year this prolongs the life in his "legs" and makes him extend the amount of time he can play behind the plate, even with his advancing age.

Most teams have "average at best" catchers. If 6 of our starting 9 hit anywhere close to what they should: (A-Rod, Jeter, Cano, Sexson/Giambi, Damon & Abreu) you can live with whatever Melky, Molina and whoever DH's can give you (as long as they are not an automatic out).

BUT with Matsui & Posada gone, the other guys need to step it up.

Yankee Fan in Boston
07-21-08, 05:40 PM
If Jorge is gone for the year this prolongs the life in his "legs" and makes him extend the amount of time he can play behind the plate, even with his advancing age.

Most teams have "average at best" catchers. If 6 of our starting 9 hit anywhere close to what they should: (A-Rod, Jeter, Cano, Sexson/Giambi, Damon & Abreu) you can live with whatever Melky, Molina and whoever DH's can give you (as long as they are not an automatic out).

BUT with Matsui & Posada gone, the other guys need to step it up.

Agree. Molina is not the problem. It's the bottom 3 of Gardner, Molina and Melky. We need Melky to improve and Damon to get healthy and get back to left.

BobbyMeacham's glove
07-21-08, 05:52 PM
Agree. Molina is not the problem. It's the bottom 3 of Gardner, Molina and Melky. We need Melky to improve and Damon to get healthy and get back to left.

Garnder is not an issue if Damon is playing, so you are down to Melky & Molina as you "weak spots". The DH spot will not be as strong as we would have, but you can live with average production in that spot if our STARS perform close to their capability.

I'm still not about to totally give up on Melky at this point. There were multiple times where you could have sent Bernie Williams packing early on, but they hung in there with him. No guarantee he will be anywhere as good, but he has shown signs of power early in the year & he plays a heck of a center field with one of the best arms in that position. Bernie couldn't steal bases, so Melky's lack of SB's isn't a huge blow.

I just don't see how Melky was valued pretty well in the offseason, and now he's a considered a crappy player.

Casius
07-21-08, 06:01 PM
I'd like to see them go after Salty. As I mentioned in the other thread, he isn't the big problem-solver as his offensive numbers aren't very good this year, but he's a young catcher with a ton of talent.

He may be at his lowest value right now, so now might be the time to acquire him.

Yankyfan
07-21-08, 06:04 PM
Cervelli is the Yankees future catcher. IMO

Casius
07-21-08, 06:07 PM
Cervelli is more the Yankees future Molina. That's not to preclude him turning into a solid regular, but you can't really count on him for much—especially since that wrist injury in spring training set him back quite a bit.

apalradio
07-21-08, 06:18 PM
Not right now. We can afford to wait until the offseason before chasing a new backstop. Right now, we should deal for some offense. I'm pleased with the way our pitching has performed for the most part, but if Po is going to be out of the lineup, we're going to have even more trouble scoring runs for them.

nnysiny
07-21-08, 07:55 PM
trading for a catcher at this point in time would be a total panic move, and a major slap in the face to Posada. he has all offseason to rest his shoulder

Bub
07-21-08, 08:20 PM
trading for a catcher at this point in time would be a total panic move, and a major slap in the face to Posada. he has all offseason to rest his shoulderDepends upon how young the catcher is. If he's somebody who can learn and then take over in 2011 then I don't think Posada has an issue.

destro
07-21-08, 08:25 PM
a corner outfielder with a lot of power makes more sense than adding another catcher.

Cheesyhoboe
07-21-08, 08:30 PM
Depends upon how young the catcher is. If he's somebody who can learn and then take over in 2011 then I don't think Posada has an issue.

2011? If you're trading for a catcher that young you might as well just wait for Montero and Romine.

bxbomber328
07-21-08, 08:34 PM
Not right now. We can afford to wait until the offseason before chasing a new backstop. Right now, we should deal for some offense. I'm pleased with the way our pitching has performed for the most part, but if Po is going to be out of the lineup, we're going to have even more trouble scoring runs for them.

Why, he really hasn't done much since his return from the DL and we've played a larghe portion of the season whithout him, and we're still in good shape. I'm for dealing for offense, but don't overdue it. I would love for Jason Bay to play a little DH left field with Damon.

Roberto Kelly
07-21-08, 09:21 PM
Greg Zaun would probably make sense now.

dont_ya_know24
07-21-08, 09:24 PM
give the rangers some of our young pitching wealth for one of max ramirez or salty.

Mark19
07-21-08, 09:49 PM
Greg Zaun would probably make sense now.

Exactly, he is a decent glove and OBP guy. Jose Molina has a great defense but he got over-exposed after two weeks in May. Imagine how bad he'll get after starting 50 more games this season.

nyyfanatic85
07-21-08, 10:58 PM
What's wrong with Molina? Teams actually respect his arm, and it's nice to know that a single by the opposing team isn't going to be turned into a double with a steal on the next pitch.

teknetic
07-22-08, 12:01 AM
Get another bat and Molina's offense will be a non issue. His ability to completely shut down the running game far outweighs whatever a Greg Zaun would bring to this team offensively (which isn't a lot)

ARoDfan4life
07-22-08, 12:12 AM
Alan Horne, Ian Kennedy, JB Cox, Kevin Whelan and Jairo Heredia for Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Milton Bradley ?

JL25and3
07-22-08, 05:56 AM
The Yankees should have been trying to pick up young catching two years ago.

Bub
07-22-08, 08:51 AM
What's wrong with Molina? Teams actually respect his arm, and it's nice to know that a single by the opposing team isn't going to be turned into a double with a steal on the next pitch.It's not Molina that's the problem, it's the combination of the loss of Posada's and Matsui's bats, plus not much out of Cabrera's bat, PLUS Molina's bat that's the problem. If everyone else is hitting normally, we can easily live with Molina and Moeller the rest of this year.

Zimmers' Helmet
07-22-08, 09:01 AM
It's not Molina that's the problem, it's the combination of the loss of Posada's and Matsui's bats, plus not much out of Cabrera's bat, PLUS Molina's bat that's the problem. If everyone else is hitting normally, we can easily live with Molina and Moeller the rest of this year.

You're absolutely right; if anything, Molina has been brilliant behind the plate.
He does a great job defensively and his throwing arm has been huge in regards to helping the Yankees win games.

A catcher is much more valuable for the things he does behind the plate than for the things he does when he's in the batter's box.

I can easily live with Molina's shortcomings as a hitter considering what he gives us defensively.

If the Yankees are struggling to score runs on a regular basis; the crux of the blame has to fall on the shoulders of the Posada, Matsui and Damon injuries; along with Cano and Melky's struggles. Molina is not the problem.

Mark19
07-22-08, 09:57 AM
You're absolutely right; if anything, Molina has been brilliant behind the plate.
He does a great job defensively and his throwing arm has been huge in regards to helping the Yankees win games.

A catcher is much more valuable for the things he does behind the plate than for the things he does when he's in the batter's box.

I can easily live with Molina's shortcomings as a hitter considering what he gives us defensively.

If the Yankees are struggling to score runs on a regular basis; the crux of the blame has to fall on the shoulders of the Posada, Matsui and Damon injuries; along with Cano and Melky's struggles. Molina is not the problem.

I don't know if you'll be singing that tune in a month. Molina doesn't have the endurance or bat to be a starting catcher. There is a reason he has never appeared in more than 78 games in a given season. He is at his best when he is starting two-three games a week. We will need to acquire someone with more offensive presence to split time with Jose.

Bub
07-22-08, 11:38 AM
I don't know if you'll be singing that tune in a month. Molina doesn't have the endurance or bat to be a starting catcher. There is a reason he has never appeared in more than 78 games in a given season. He is at his best when he is starting two-three games a week. We will need to acquire someone with more offensive presence to split time with Jose.What we're saying is that we don't have to get a catcher to solve the offensive problem. If we can get a solid bat in the DH spot, a Chili Davis type, and then get more production out of Cabrera, the lineup is good enough to live with Moeller and Molina doing the catching, and Molina can catch the brunt of the postseason. It has to be easier to find a good-hitting corner outfielder than a good-hitting catcher who can throw out runners.

Mark19
07-22-08, 12:16 PM
What we're saying is that we don't have to get a catcher to solve the offensive problem. If we can get a solid bat in the DH spot, a Chili Davis type, and then get more production out of Cabrera, the lineup is good enough to live with Moeller and Molina doing the catching, and Molina can catch the brunt of the postseason. It has to be easier to find a good-hitting corner outfielder than a good-hitting catcher who can throw out runners.

If we are operating under the assumption that Matsui and Posada are done for the foreseeable future, I'm still not sure we can/should focus on an impact bat for the outfield. I would rather get someone cheap like Gregg Zaun or Josh Bard to add another 100 points of OBP from our catcher than deal our most prized prospects to get Matt Holliday or Jason Bay. Peter Abraham pointed out that we've already picked up a major offensive performance boost in the form of Cano becoming a 800 OPS infielder instead of a 600 OPS one.

Bub
07-22-08, 02:59 PM
If we are operating under the assumption that Matsui and Posada are done for the foreseeable future, I'm still not sure we can/should focus on an impact bat for the outfield. I would rather get someone cheap like Gregg Zaun or Josh Bard to add another 100 points of OBP from our catcher than deal our most prized prospects to get Matt Holliday or Jason Bay. Peter Abraham pointed out that we've already picked up a major offensive performance boost in the form of Cano becoming a 800 OPS infielder instead of a 600 OPS one.Zaun's CS is 25%, Bard's 13%, Molina's 49%. Trading the OBP for the CS doesn't seem to be making progress. If we can keep a 40% CS AND add 100 OBP points, then we're doing something, but I don't know who that is, and even if we find one it will probably cost just as much as a decent corner outfielder.

JL25and3
07-22-08, 04:37 PM
It's not Molina that's the problem, it's the combination of the loss of Posada's and Matsui's bats, plus not much out of Cabrera's bat, PLUS Molina's bat that's the problem. If everyone else is hitting normally, we can easily live with Molina and Moeller the rest of this year.I'm not sure there are any circumstances where you can easily live with a 54 OPS+. Not that it matters, because there's really no choice in the matter.

mrbawm
07-22-08, 09:24 PM
What about Bengie Molina or John Buck (he's arbitration eligible in 2009)?

bcom33
07-23-08, 02:28 PM
I'd be willing to give up anyone in our system for Matt Wieters.

McMoose
07-23-08, 05:27 PM
What about instead of getting a young catcher we get an Aubrey Huff type to play a little left field and a little DH. Put Damon out in left full-time, and then the line-up doesn't look so bad.

Damon LF/DH
Jeter SS
Abreu RF
A-Rod 3B
Giambi/Sexson 1B/DH
Huff LF/1B/DH
Cano 2B
Molina C
Melky/Gardner CF

Huff's batting .285 with an OPS around .875, 19 HR, 61 RBI. He'd make a nice little three-way platoon with Giambi/Sexson/Huff for two line-up spots and could, in theory (I think he's played in left field, could be wrong), spell Damon in LF every now and again and let Damon DH.

Don't know what it would take to get him, but it probably would be less than someone like Nady and I think he'd fit in here perfectly.

bmxstreetrider86
07-23-08, 05:39 PM
I'd be willing to give up anyone in our system for Matt Wieters.

while i agree with that 100%, why would baltimore even consider moving him?

as far as im concerned, he is the best catching prospect we have seen in a LONG time

Jumpman_DJ
07-23-08, 06:29 PM
What we're saying is that we don't have to get a catcher to solve the offensive problem. If we can get a solid bat in the DH spot, a Chili Davis type, and then get more production out of Cabrera, the lineup is good enough to live with Moeller and Molina doing the catching, and Molina can catch the brunt of the postseason. It has to be easier to find a good-hitting corner outfielder than a good-hitting catcher who can throw out runners.

Is Chili Davis available? Maybe even David Justice? But seriously A Catcher has been a concern for a long time coming. Once we traded Navarro for Randy Johnson Cashman should have been looking to deal for someone. David Parrish pretty much pooped the bed and Jesus Montero was being billed as a good hitter during the futures game, but not necessarily going to reach the majors as a catcher but as maybe a corner infielder.
Catcher is one of the harder postions to fill because most guys focus on either hitting or defense, not too many concentrate on both. Ronny Paulino is a very good option i would kick the tires and see what the pirates want as a package for him and Marte, or even add in Nady too.