PDA

View Full Version : The Bobby Meacham Windmill Thread

False1
07-20-08, 01:59 PM
This is getting out of control. I know the bottom of our lineup lacks punch and we struggle w/ RISP so we need to be aggressive on the bases, but sending guys when it's not even going to be remotely close is not acceptable. A-Rod has gotten pegged at the plate two days in a row where it hasn't even been close. One was a hard collision - and injury to A-Rod would be disastrous. And Jeter happened to score yesterday but would have been out by a mile if Suzuki catches the ball.

I always thought it ironic that he was the NYY third base coach considering his career was defined by that highlight where he and another player both got pegged at the plate on the same play.

Time for a change?

continentalg5
07-20-08, 02:01 PM
My thoughts exactly.

Damon(MVP)
07-20-08, 02:10 PM
Bring back Bowa or how about switching bases with Pena, surely he will do a better job, Meachem sucks pure and simple.

False1
07-20-08, 02:14 PM
I don't want to make it seem like I have a vendetta here, but he also attempted to send Jeter on Abreu's single up the middle where he had to go back to second and Jeter ignored him. Good thing too, that would have been another embarrassing failure.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
07-20-08, 02:16 PM
I don't want to make it seem like I have a vendetta here, but he also attempted to send Jeter on Abreu's single up the middle where he had to go back to second and Jeter ignored him. Good thing too, that would have been another embarrassing failure.

He tried to send him on that? He would have been out by 60 ft. :wtf:

NelsonMuntz
07-20-08, 02:17 PM
He's awful.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
07-20-08, 02:19 PM
Hell, bring back "Let 'em Loose" Luis Sojo.

philleotardo
07-20-08, 02:20 PM
Is Dale Sveum available?

NYATLCHRIS
07-20-08, 02:22 PM
I actually agree with sending Arod there. The A's pitcher has an era of 1.8, an opponents batting average of .180 and has given up around 70 hits in 110 innings pitched. The Yankees had 2 hits in that inning and the odds of them getting anymore was slim. Plus lets not forget that Melky was up next. Arod had a much better chance in scoring from second than Melky had driving in a run in the next at bat.

Yankees13
07-20-08, 02:24 PM
He tried to send him on that? He would have been out by 60 ft. :wtf:
He would have been so far from home that he probably could have gotten back to 3rd if they threw home. That's insane if true though. I didn't see him sending him home on TV.

Torre Must Go
07-20-08, 02:27 PM
He couldn't have been this bad with the Marlins a couple years ago. If he was, I don't see how Girardi could've wanted him on his staff.

mitch300
07-20-08, 02:37 PM
Is Dale Sveum available?
Willie Randolph is available.

Damon(MVP)
07-20-08, 02:48 PM

Bingo.

NYATLCHRIS
07-20-08, 02:48 PM
Most of you forget that there were 2 outs and Betemit coming up. Arod had a better chance in scoring on that hit than from Betemit. My apologies.

False1
07-20-08, 02:52 PM
Most of you forget that there were 2 outs and Betemit coming up. Arod had a better chance in scoring on that hit than from Betemit. My apologies.Disagree. He's hitting .260 against RHP. Duke is dealing, but 1 in 4 odds of a hit is much better than A-Rod's odds of scoring on that play.

CallOfTheCrow
07-20-08, 02:55 PM
Most of you forget that there were 2 outs and Betemit coming up. Arod had a better chance in scoring on that hit than from Betemit. My apologies.

That ball was smoked & Sweeney has proven to have a strong & accurate arm. A-Rod had no chance.

bigjf
07-20-08, 02:57 PM
LOL @ this thread. He has been terrible. No doubt about it.

NYATLCHRIS
07-20-08, 02:59 PM
Disagree. He's hitting .260 against RHP. Duke is dealing, but 1 in 4 odds of a hit is much better than A-Rod's odds of scoring on that play.

Ok and I disagree with you. I'll play the percentages. The A's Pitcher has an era of 1.8 and opponents batting average of .180 and has only given 80 hits or so in 120 innings now. There were 2 outs and the Yankees already had a walk and 2 hits. The odds of them getting another hit or a walk was close to nil. The way he has been pitching, he doesn't give up hits in bunches. I rather take my chances with Arod scoring from 2nd than expecting the Yankees offense to get 3 hits with 2 outs against a Cy Young candidate this year.

TheHugeUnit2
07-20-08, 03:05 PM
The day the mets fired him, I was praying I'd wake up the night mornign and find out Meacham was fired at 2 in the morning and replaced by Willie.

False1
07-20-08, 03:05 PM
Ok and I disagree with you. I'll play the percentages. The A's Pitcher has an era of 1.8 and opponents batting average of .180 and has only given 80 hits or so in 120 innings now. There were 2 outs and the Yankees already had a walk and 2 hits. The odds of them getting another hit or a walk was close to nil. The way he has been pitching, he doesn't give up hits in bunches. I rather take my chances with Arod scoring from 2nd than expecting the Yankees offense to get 3 hits with 2 outs against a Cy Young candidate this year.I see what you're saying, and the fact that Betemit struck out to open the next inning jives with your view. So be aggressive, but don't be dumb. Sending him into an automatic out or a collision at home isn't a good call no matter who is coming up next. Seriously, the odds of a wild pitch in the next at bat probably were independantly higher than the odds of A-Rod scoring on that play.

R.V.47
07-20-08, 03:06 PM
Bobby has had a rough series. After A-Rod got thrown out on friday he has got to know Sweeny has a cannon.

NYATLCHRIS
07-20-08, 03:11 PM
I see what you're saying, and the fact that Betemit struck out to open the next inning jives with your view. So be aggressive, but don't be dumb. Sending him into an automatic out or a collision at home isn't a good call no matter who is coming up next. Seriously, the odds of a wild pitch in the next at bat probably were independantly higher than the odds of A-Rod scoring on that play.

Maybe, Maybe not. I am not going to call for Meacham's head because he sent Arod home in that Situation. There were 2 outs and the pitcher has a whip of .865 and the Yankees already had 2 hits and a walk. You have to try to get the run there. If a better hitter was on deck, it's a different story. I just personally believe that Arod had a better chance in scoring on that hit than expecting the Yankees to get the 3rd hit or 2nd walk or a hbp/wild pitch on the next hitter.

False1
07-20-08, 03:20 PM
Maybe, Maybe not. I am not going to call for Meacham's head because he sent Arod home in that Situation. There were 2 outs and the pitcher has a whip of .865 and the Yankees already had 2 hits and a walk. You have to try to get the run there. If a better hitter was on deck, it's a different story. I just personally believe that Arod had a better chance in scoring on that hit than expecting the Yankees to get the 3rd hit or 2nd walk or a hbp/wild pitch on the next hitter.I'm not calling for his head on that one decision either. He's made questionable calls all year, and I'm counting 4 this series. And considering how tight these games have been, they had the potential of being very damaging.

CallOfTheCrow
07-20-08, 03:21 PM
I'm not calling for his head on that one decision either. He's made questionable calls all year, and I'm counting 4 this series. And considering how tight these games have been, they had the potential of being very damaging.

Sending (forget who the runner was) during Santana's start at Yankee Stadium was absolutely mind boggling. Turned the entire course of the game.

NYATLCHRIS
07-20-08, 03:22 PM
I'm not calling for his head on that one decision either. He's made questionable calls all year, and I'm counting 4 this series. And considering how tight these games have been, they had the potential of being very damaging.

Yesterday was a close game because our offense stinks and stranded runners in scoring posistion with no outs. Today has been close because we are facing one of the top pitchers in the American League.

themgmt
07-20-08, 04:06 PM
He clearly has no idea what he's doing. He held up a runner Yesterday that clearly should have scored. And sent home 3 runners that would have been out by a mile (2 of which were turned into outs). There is nothing wrong with being aggressive but when the runner is out by a mile on 3 consecutive occasions, then he clearly shouldn't have been sent. Close plays are different, these plays weren't even close.

spyglass
07-20-08, 04:08 PM
I miss Larry Bowa.

yanksphan
07-20-08, 04:15 PM
If only Meacham worked at a toll booth....

roblyo33
07-20-08, 04:21 PM
IMHO, sending someone who is going to be automatically out is dumb. I don't care who is up next........'nuff said.

False1
07-20-08, 04:28 PM
Yesterday was a close game because our offense stinks and stranded runners in scoring posistion with no outs. Today has been close because we are facing one of the top pitchers in the American League.Yesterday was a Saturday and I like turtles.

Our offense stinks, so we should give away outs? We're facing a tough pitcher, so we should give away outs? We should risk an injury to A-Rod or Jeter to get break even (if that) odds of scoring a run? You're missing the point I'm trying to make - in all these instances the plays the runners were sitting ducks. One overly aggressive play is one thing. But in all four instances I'm referring to the runner was dead to rights.

JeterForPresident
07-20-08, 04:29 PM
I've been saying this along with a lot of others on the board here, Meacham really needs to go, and I wouldn't be against firing him during the season. The team has enough trouble scoring runs without him costing us any.

bigwampum
07-20-08, 09:38 PM
Those plays remind me of wiffle ball, where half the time you'd just "run 'till you're thrown out".

Pinstripe Pride23
07-20-08, 10:07 PM
Meacham's performance thus far doesn't really shock me. He wasn't much of baserunner himself. Remember when Meacham and Dale Berra were both tagged out at home right after one another on the same play. I think it was 1985 against Chicago. Ahh...the classics.

dabomb2045
07-20-08, 10:41 PM
I dont know whats worse....Meacham the ballplayer or Meacham the 3rd base coach.

Its amazing how BAD Meacham was when he played. I was just checking out his stats out of curiosity. The guy had a .568 OPS playing 141 games at short in 1985....a .266 slugging percentage. .218 average .302 OBP. I mean wow thats just historically bad. Makes Tony Womack look like ARod.

Just think if the Yanks had just a competent shortstop in 1985...they prob would have won 100 games, won the division and might have won it all. Imagine if this board were around in 1985? The amount of b*tching we would hear about Meacham, how bad he is, how he needs to be DFA'd and how the GM and manager should be fired for playing him everyday....it would be legendary.

Pinstripe Pride23
07-20-08, 10:59 PM
I dont know whats worse....Meacham the ballplayer or Meacham the 3rd base coach.

Its amazing how BAD Meacham was when he played. I was just checking out his stats out of curiosity. The guy had a .568 OPS playing 141 games at short in 1985....a .266 slugging percentage. .218 average .302 OBP. I mean wow thats just historically bad. Makes Tony Womack look like ARod.

Just think if the Yanks had just a competent shortstop in 1985...they prob would have won 100 games, won the division and might have won it all. Imagine if this board were around in 1985? The amount of b*tching we would hear about Meacham, how bad he is, how he needs to be DFA'd and how the GM and manager should be fired for playing him everyday....it would be legendary.

Offensively - and outside of Meacham that '85 team was awesome.

Henderson
Randolph
Mattingly
Winfield
Baylor
Griffey
Pags

Lot of fun to watch. Guidry had a nice year too. The season came down to the final series against the Jays in Toronto. I believe the Yanks needed to sweep to tie the Jays. Didn't happen although Niekro did win 300 on the final day of the season.

Meacham was miserable to watch both with the glove and the bat. When I hear criticism of Jeter I like to think of Meacham and good we've had it for the past decade plus.

dabomb2045
07-20-08, 11:02 PM
Offensively - and outside of Meacham that '85 team was awesome.

Henderson
Randolph
Mattingly
Winfield
Baylor
Griffey
Pags

Lot of fun to watch. Guidry had a nice year too. The season came down to the final series against the Jays in Toronto. I believe the Yanks needed to sweep to tie the Jays. Didn't happen although Niekro did win 300 on the final day of the season.

Meacham was miserable to watch both with the glove and the bat. When I hear criticism of Jeter I like to think of Meacham and good we've had it for the past decade plus.

Yeah I was too young to watch the 85 team....but I've looked at the stats and that team was very good. Which is why I say if they had just a competent SS...they prob would have won the division. I mean Meacham's stats were beyond horrible.

I can only wonder what Billy Martin and whoever the GM was that year were thinking on that one.....

Pinstripe Pride23
07-20-08, 11:08 PM
Yeah I was too young to watch the 85 team....but I've looked at the stats and that team was very good. Which is why I say if they had just a competent SS...they prob would have won the division. I mean Meacham's stats were beyond horrible.

I can only wonder what Billy Martin and whoever the GM was that year were thinking on that one.....

I think Clyde King was the GM in 85. I know Roy White was the assistant GM that year.

philleotardo
07-20-08, 11:10 PM

I can only wonder what Billy Martin and whoever the GM was that year were thinking on that one.....That good-hitting shortstops were still not very common. Ripken, Trammell, Yount..............not many others. Plus this wasn't exactly the "build from within" era. I believe the Yanks had Roy Smalley also but his best days were behind him.

I do remember Steinbrenner demanding (and getting) Meacham demoted to AA.

Pinstripe Pride23
07-20-08, 11:12 PM
That good-hitting shortstops were still not very common. Ripken, Trammell, Yount..............not many others. Plus this wasn't exactly the "build from within" era. I believe the Yanks had Roy Smalley also but his best days were behind him.

I believe Smalley was a Twin in 85.

Michael Dorbuck
07-20-08, 11:13 PM

I am not sure who was worse, Meacham the ballplayer or Meacham the 3rd base coach. They are both bad. Meacham was a terrible hitter as you documented. But he wasn't exactly Ozzie Smith defensively either. From what I remember, he was extremely erratic and often messed up the routine play. I really don't remember why he was the regular shortstop back then. It shouldn't have been too difficult to find someone better than he was.

Two things stick out for me about Meacham the ballplayer. I don't even remember the exact years they happened, only that they happened. One year, I think it was early in the season, Meacham had an especially bad game in the field and he was ordered to be sent back to the minors by George Steinbrenner. And how about Meacham and Dale Berra being both tagged out consecutively at home plate on a batted ball.

You don't have to be a great player or even good player to be a good coach. But Meacham when he played never gave me the impression he was a particularly smart or heady player. I don't know what kind of job he did for Girardi that season as third base coach. But to say I am unimpressed with him as third base coach is an understatement. The Yankees have probably had more runners thrown out at home plate so far this season than the last two years combined. At least it feels that is the case. He seems so indecisive. Sometimes he holds runners at third base when it appears they have no chance to be thrown out at home. And other times, he sends runners home when they have little or no chance of scoring. Deciding whether or not to send the runner is a very quick and instinctive decision. You don't have much time to think. And Meacham seems to get it wrong much too often. Compare him with Larry Bowa, who almost always seemed to make the right call.

ericns1
07-20-08, 11:19 PM
He is here till the end of the year - don't think he will be back or at least I hope not.

Michael Dorbuck
07-20-08, 11:25 PM
He is here till the end of the year - don't think he will be back or at least I hope not.

Meacham was Girardi's choice since he was his third base coach in Florida. I don't think he should be back either but who knows?

Pinstripe Pride23
07-20-08, 11:27 PM
Meacham was Girardi's choice since he was his third base coach in Florida. I don't think he should be back either but who knows?

Was Meacham the 3rd base coach in Fla when Girardi was hired? I'm just wondering how he got the job. I don't believe they played together.

OldYankeeFan
07-20-08, 11:33 PM
Meacham reminds me of the way i coached Little League ...with two out you just send them knowing the odds were against an accurate throw. That changed by the time the kids were 13 or so. Bobby, you are NOT COACHING LITTLE LEAGUE.

Michael Dorbuck
07-20-08, 11:43 PM
Was Meacham the 3rd base coach in Fla when Girardi was hired? I'm just wondering how he got the job. I don't believe they played together.

I don't remember if Meacham was already the third base coach when Girardi was hired as the Marlins manager. I don't think he was but I am not 100% sure. I think when Girardi got the Florida job, the front office probably chose most of the coaches. Rookie managers don't often get much of a chance to hire many of their own coaches. I am wondering what Meacham did prior to becoming third base coach of Florida. I am sure he was in baseball in some capacity. Possibly he was already working in the Florida organization, maybe in the minor leagues someplace but this is strictly a guess on my part.

I also agree that I don't think Girardi and Meacham ever played together. They probably just established a good working relationship and maybe personal friendship during that season in Florida and when Girardi got the Yankees managerial job he decided to put Meacham on his coaching staff.

Pinstripe Pride23
07-20-08, 11:47 PM
I don't remember if Meacham was already the third base coach when Girardi was hired as the Marlins manager. I don't think he was but I am not 100% sure. I think when Girardi got the Florida job, the front office probably chose most of the coaches. Rookie managers don't often get much of a chance to hire many of their own coaches. I am wondering what Meacham did prior to becoming third base coach of Florida. I am sure he was in baseball in some capacity. Possibly he was already working in the Florida organization, maybe in the minor leagues someplace but this is strictly a guess on my part.

I also agree that I don't think Girardi and Meacham ever played together. They probably just established a good working relationship and maybe personal friendship during that season in Florida and when Girardi got the Yankees managerial job he decided to put Meacham on his coaching staff.

I do recall seeing Meacham coaching first base in San Diego. Although - that may have been last year.

False1
07-21-08, 01:13 AM
Can anyone find a link to the Meacham/Berra/Fisk play at the plate? I googled it and checked YouTube and came up empty, but I've seen stuff pulled from the archives of the archives on this board. Would be cool to post; it really was a spectacle and it was on all of the "Plays of the Year" and "Blooper" films from that '80s.

AJW
07-21-08, 04:32 AM
I have three words. Bring back Willie.

bucky
07-21-08, 06:04 AM
I have three words. Bring back Willie.

Great Idea. I don't know if he will take it but I really like to make the offer. If we make a decent run I would love to see Willie at 3rd in post season. Big lift for everybody and a class act by the Yankees.

(Sometimes I think it's because we strand so many players on base. This is a bigger problem than a third base coach)

Perfect.

Bucky

ZIM 2002
07-21-08, 10:57 AM
Has anyone noticed that the YES announcers on more than one occasion have either talked about what a good arm some outfielder has - and then that outfielder guns out one of the runners Meacham sends home - or he sends someone who is out by a mile and the announcer reminds us how that same outfielder who just threw the guy out did so in a previous game earlier in the season! The worst "what if" I think about is Wang - Meacham was sending him to score from second; if he hadn't, maybe the injury wouldn't have happened... Meacham seems not only to lack baserunning sense, but even the ability to remember who burned us before!! Girardi is smart, surely he notices that. But I can't see them firing him midseason and showing up Girardi, unless it could be couched in a bring back Willie attempt. I was screaming at the TV yesterday - at least this thread lets me vent!!!:mad:

themgmt
07-21-08, 11:13 AM
Willie would be good. I don't think it's that big of a deal over the course of a season but in the crap shoot that is the playoffs, 1 inning ruining play like in the Mets game could change a series. Imagine this:

Game 7 of the ALCS vs the Angels and the game is tied 3-3 in the 8th inning. Damon is on first with 0 outs. Jeter doubles into right center field. Guerrero cuts the ball off before it gets to the wall and Damon is halfway to third. Meacham sends him as Guerrero fires to the cutoff man. Damon is thrown out by 20 ft. Instead of runners on 2nd and 3rd 0 outs, it's a runner and 2nd with 1 out. Yankees don't score, end up losing in extra innings.

Can't have that happen.

iWant27
07-21-08, 11:33 AM
About time someone started thread on this 3rd base coach's absymal and horrible performance . I have been saying that in other threads that this guy is just plain horrible :mad: . And it all started in spring training when he sent couple of guys to home when there was no chance . And in one of the games against Mets , he gave a wrong signal to A-Rod when he was tagging from 2nd base and it looked like A-Rod was very surprised and this guy was laughing .
The main thing is that someone important like A-Rod is gonna get hurt at plate because of his stupidity . And the really unfortunate thing is that this 3rd base coach doesnt even realise . He is just laughing it off .
I have no idea why he is even on the yankee staff . He doesnt deserve a spot in some local high school club . He is an idiot .

Mantle'sMutt
07-21-08, 11:41 AM
C'mon. Meacham is almost every bit as good a base coach as he was a player.

Brick Tamland
07-21-08, 11:43 AM
Sending ARod both times in this series is inexcusable. He was out by a mile. Sometimes you have to take chances, but with a guy in RF with a gun like that, it's just not a smart bet. Meacham really frustrated me this A's series.

Bub
07-21-08, 11:48 AM
Sending ARod both times in this series is inexcusable. He was out by a mile. Sometimes you have to take chances, but with a guy in RF with a gun like that, it's just not a smart bet. Meacham really frustrated me this A's series. I didn't see the game, but he seems to have the mindset that 2 outs and a below average hitter coming up means send the runner all the time. Sometimes that will work because a throw is way off line or takes a crazy bounce, when when it doesn't the runner is 15 feet from home when the catcher gets the ball. As a baserunner, it can really get you PO'd when that happens.

Brick Tamland
07-21-08, 11:48 AM
Ok and I disagree with you. I'll play the percentages. The A's Pitcher has an era of 1.8 and opponents batting average of .180 and has only given 80 hits or so in 120 innings now. There were 2 outs and the Yankees already had a walk and 2 hits. The odds of them getting another hit or a walk was close to nil. The way he has been pitching, he doesn't give up hits in bunches. I rather take my chances with Arod scoring from 2nd than expecting the Yankees offense to get 3 hits with 2 outs against a Cy Young candidate this year.

I'll take slim odds over a sure fire out at the plate. I don't like the Yankees chance to get the run in that situation either but at least they stand a chance.

Mantle'sMutt
07-21-08, 11:54 AM
I didn't see the game, but he seems to have the mindset that 2 outs and a below average hitter coming up means send the runner all the time. Sometimes that will work because a throw is way off line or takes a crazy bounce, when when it doesn't the runner is 15 feet from home when the catcher gets the ball. As a baserunner, it can really get you PO'd when that happens.

He does seem to have that mindset. In addition, it is almost like he is saying "well, we're having a hard time scoring runs, so I'm going to take some chances and see if that works". As someone said earlier, I hope he doesn't get someone hurt. That was my first thought when I saw A-Rod barreling toward home the second time - but he sidestepped instead of bowling over Suzuki.

When he was first hired I figured it was just Girardi trying to get him a ring.

Brick Tamland
07-21-08, 11:58 AM
I didn't see the game, but he seems to have the mindset that 2 outs and a below average hitter coming up means send the runner all the time. Sometimes that will work because a throw is way off line or takes a crazy bounce, when when it doesn't the runner is 15 feet from home when the catcher gets the ball. As a baserunner, it can really get you PO'd when that happens.

You are right, that seems to be exactly what he is doing. Sometimes it will work if you have a below average OF with a below average arm. I think that guy (Sweeny?) proved he had the arm to hold the runner during Friday's game. It shouldn't happen twice in one series.

JeffWeaverFan
07-21-08, 01:22 PM
Pretty much, no matter who is in the outfield for the opposing team, if there are 2 outs, Bobby will wave them home. He has absolutely no sense as to which outfielder has a good arm, or if he does, it doesn't matter for his decision making.

CT-Yankee
07-21-08, 01:29 PM
Anyone know why wasn't Pena given the third base job? He was already here and has more experience. I could live with Meecham at first but at third he going to be become a factor at some point...you can't just sense it!

Bub
07-21-08, 01:57 PM
Pretty much, no matter who is in the outfield for the opposing team, if there are 2 outs, Bobby will wave them home. He has absolutely no sense as to which outfielder has a good arm, or if he does, it doesn't matter for his decision making.It's his job to know, and he should also know what kind of chances Girardi is willing to take....something I've never heard Girardi talk about. If the odds of the next hitter getting a hit are in the 15% to 25% range (like it appeared to be here), I'd send a runner if he had a 30% chance or better of scoring. From what I've read here, I'm guessing his chances of scoring were more like 10%, which would be a really bad throw or the catcher unable to field the throw cleanly.

Brick Tamland
07-21-08, 02:52 PM
It's his job to know, and he should also know what kind of chances Girardi is willing to take....something I've never heard Girardi talk about. If the odds of the next hitter getting a hit are in the 15% to 25% range (like it appeared to be here), I'd send a runner if he had a 30% chance or better of scoring. From what I've read here, I'm guessing his chances of scoring were more like 10%, which would be a really bad throw or the catcher unable to field the throw cleanly.

The throw beat ARod to the plate so badly he had basically just rounded third. Kurt Suzuki had a good 2 seconds to brace himself for the collision at the plate, the only chance ARod had was to jar the ball lose from his glove. ARod is like 6'5" 230. He certainly could have, but the point is why send him when you know the catcher sees it coming? It's not like he was blindsided. And that leaves ARod open to get injured. It was a bad call.

Bub
07-21-08, 03:08 PM
If anyone watched the replay last night you could see ARod stuttering a bit as he was rounding third. He's an excellent baserunner and rarely ever makes mistakes on the basepaths, so I'm guessing he decided to stop, but saw Meacham waving him around and then decided to take off.Do you think he wasn't paying attention because he knew he had no chance, or did Meacham give him the green light too late?

teknetic
07-21-08, 03:12 PM
I just watched it again and the hesitation by ARod wasn't as obvious as I thought it was.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/wrap.jsp?ymd=20080720&content_id=3160189&vkey=wrapup2005&fext=.jsp&team=home&c_id=nyy

1st inning towards the end. They didn't show Meacham waving him around, so I can't really tell. Anyhow, I don't like him very much :)

Bub
07-21-08, 03:23 PM
I just watched it again and the hesitation by ARod wasn't as obvious as I thought it was.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/wrap.jsp?ymd=20080720&content_id=3160189&vkey=wrapup2005&fext=.jsp&team=home&c_id=nyy

1st inning towards the end. They didn't show Meacham waving him around, so I can't really tell. Anyhow, I don't like him very much :)He drove me nuts as a player. I loved how Mattingly once said he had the best curveball on the team. :lol:

Brick Tamland
07-21-08, 03:26 PM
It really was a ridiculous decision. Everyone in the park knew ARod had no chance...except for Meacham...

JOBA RULES
07-21-08, 03:26 PM
the worst was the Met game way back when against Johan..when he sent Damon and he got gunned out...we had Santana on the ropes n totally would of changed that series

False1
07-21-08, 04:06 PM
Really his sole job is keep players from running into outs at the plate. He didn't do that in any of these cases. Even if the batter coming up next has a .250 BA, I'll take those odds over the catcher making an error when compared to throws to the plate that beat the runner by 15 feet. Besides, if you're going to rely on errors to score runs, there's the odds that there's a fielding error or wild pitch/passed ball to go along with the batter's 1 in 4 odds anyway.

None of these were bang/bang plays. A-Rod's collision was like a desparation/frustration move because he was out by a mile. Not to mention the injury risk that comes along with these decisions.

Unacceptable. He needs to do a better job.

iWant27
07-21-08, 05:57 PM
When he sends them home , does Mr. Meacham even knows where the ball is . I think he doesnt . Someday we'll see that he'll wave them home when the ball is already in the catcher's hands .

Buck_Foston
07-23-08, 01:34 PM
For what it's worth, Baseball Prospectus just did a study on runners thrown out at the plate this year. Seems a certain 3rd base coach for the Dodgers has been guilty as often as Meacham.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=953

justtxyank
07-23-08, 01:38 PM
For what it's worth, Baseball Prospectus just did a study on runners thrown out at the plate this year. Seems a certain 3rd base coach for the Dodgers has been guilty as often as Meacham.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=953

The study isn't conclusive at all. It can't take into account things like runners going through signs, a runner making a bad turn at the base, a runner hesitating when he should have kept going, a usually bad outfielder making a perfect throw, bad calls at the plate, etc.

What we do know, is that Meachem waves runners home who have been out by wide margins, as in, unless the outfielder threw the ball into the stands the runner had no shot.

Buck_Foston
07-23-08, 02:34 PM
The study isn't conclusive at all. It can't take into account things like runners going through signs, a runner making a bad turn at the base, a runner hesitating when he should have kept going, a usually bad outfielder making a perfect throw, bad calls at the plate, etc.

I agree with that, in fact the study itself says all of the above.

"We canít generalize about the third base coaches from this data given that so many factors are in play here, from runners ignoring stop signs or falling down or the game state"

I'd add that I don't think Meacham is as bad as the perception. The data says he's had 13 runners thrown out at the plate, the same amount as Larry Bowa at LA and 3 fewer than Dino Ebel at Anaheim. The A-Rod play was certainly a mistake, and the fact that a few runners were thrown out in the same series adds to the perception that he's bad.

justtxyank
07-23-08, 02:37 PM
I agree with that, in fact the study itself says all of the above.

"We canít generalize about the third base coaches from this data given that so many factors are in play here, from runners ignoring stop signs or falling down or the game state"

I'd add that I don't think Meacham is as bad as the perception. The data says he's had 13 runners thrown out at the plate, the same amount as Larry Bowa at LA and 3 fewer than Dino Ebel at Anaheim. The A-Rod play was certainly a mistake, and the fact that a few runners were thrown out in the same series adds to the perception that he's bad.

Yeah the study does say that, but I wasn't sure how many would actually read the study. My point is that the runners who have been gunned down on our team have in fact been ones where we can see that Meachem failed.

dont_ya_know24
07-23-08, 02:49 PM
he's looking pretty damn lucky so far today.

CallOfTheCrow
07-23-08, 03:51 PM
he's looking pretty damn lucky so far today.

Abreu was dead to rights if a decent throw was made/Redmond hung on to the ball.

NelsonMuntz
07-23-08, 03:55 PM
Abreu was dead to rights if a decent throw was made/Redmond hung on to the ball.
Molina should have been thrown out as well.

E-Rod
07-23-08, 03:56 PM
Another 2 bad calls by Meacham today and we survived, i don't like to have a coach that like to gamble in third base, luck isn't a thing that you can count everytime.

teknetic
07-23-08, 08:53 PM
Here are the best (and worst) baserunning teams so far this year:
Best
Mets +77
Phillies +76
Rangers +74
Marlins +61
Rockies +58
Worst
Cardinals -22
Yankees -27
Padres -32
Orioles -36
Nationals -47

(The Yankees were at +64 last season, the seventh-best in baseball.)
Then we have this research from Baseball Prospectus. (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=953)

It reveals that the Yankees have had 13 runners thrown out at the plate, among the most in the game. Seven have been gunned down going from second to home, which is tied for the most. Thatís on Bobby Meacham.
The Yankees finally have their bats going. Now the coaching staff needs to help out by better picking when to run. The numbers are ugly.

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/

sweet_lou_14
07-23-08, 09:00 PM
http://yankees.lhblogs.com/

Yeah, that was eye-popping.

teknetic
07-23-08, 09:08 PM
I lost count at about 5, thirteen is an insane amount..especially when those runners are Jeter and ARod (who run the bases as well as anyone)

False1
07-23-08, 09:21 PM
Molina should have been thrown out as well.LOL at Molina being sent home all the way from first... and scoring. Sometimes it's better to be lucky then good, eh?

E-Rod
07-23-08, 09:25 PM
Maybe we can use Igawa in a trade to get a new 3B coach :)

yankeetomer54
07-23-08, 09:57 PM
Great idea but he was too conservative.

dont_ya_know24
07-23-08, 10:04 PM
exactly....

-tz
07-24-08, 12:02 AM
I lost count at about 5, thirteen is an insane amount..especially when those runners are Jeter and ARod (who run the bases as well as anyone)The Los Angeles Dodgers (third base coach, the sainted Larry Bowa) have also had 13 runners thrown out at the plate so far this year.

JeffWeaverFan
07-24-08, 12:51 AM
The Los Angeles Dodgers (third base coach, the sainted Larry Bowa) have also had 13 runners thrown out at the plate so far this year.
I'm surprised by that. I wonder how many have been thrown out by 5+ feet like Meachem has had.

Dannman103
07-24-08, 10:10 AM
The best kind of third base coach is the one you don't even notice. I've noticed Bobby Meacham way too many times this season.

JOBA RULES
07-24-08, 10:15 AM
The best kind of third base coach is the one you don't even notice. I've noticed Bobby Meacham way too many times this season.

exactly...bring back Willie...

Brick Tamland
07-24-08, 10:17 AM
http://www.nypost.com/seven/07242008/sports/yankees/yankees_just_moose_terful_121243.htm

A three-run sixth inning was highlighted by Rodriguez's two-run double that scored Derek Jeter and Bobby Abreu, who raced through third base coach Bobby Meacham's stop sign.

I didn't see the game yesterday since I was at work but is it true that Jete and Abreu had to run through Meacham's "Stop" sign at third to score on ARod's double? What is this guy doing over there at third? One game he's getting guys thrown out by a mile at the plate and the next he's trying holding up guys at third who end up scoring? Can someone explain the play?

ZIM 2002
07-24-08, 10:26 AM
Talk about luck - I didn't think anyone ever sent catchers!!! In addiaion to getting runners throwI worry about injuries the way Meacham is being aggressive.

Bozidar
07-24-08, 10:28 AM
sure would be nice to have a subforum on this site that had no threads that began with "the" and ended with "thread"

Yankees1962
07-24-08, 10:42 AM
http://www.nypost.com/seven/07242008/sports/yankees/yankees_just_moose_terful_121243.htm

I didn't see the game yesterday since I was at work but is it true that Jete and Abreu had to run through Meacham's "Stop" sign at third to score on ARod's double? What is this guy doing over there at third? One game he's getting guys thrown out by a mile at the plate and the next he's trying holding up guys at third who end up scoring? Can someone explain the play?
He's talking about Abreu racing through the stop signal and he was almost thrown out.

teknetic
07-24-08, 10:42 AM

To be fair; the ball looked like a homer off the bat, it was to LF, and Young has a cannon. Abreu also barely beat the throw.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/wrap.jsp?ymd=20080723&content_id=3181338&vkey=wrapup2005&fext=.jsp&team=home&c_id=nyy

You can watch the full game here, but you'll see Meacham crouching with his hands in the air and Abreu running right past him :lol:

Brick Tamland
07-24-08, 11:04 AM
To be fair; the ball looked like a homer off the bat, it was to LF, and Young has a cannon. Abreu also barely beat the throw.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/wrap.jsp?ymd=20080723&content_id=3181338&vkey=wrapup2005&fext=.jsp&team=home&c_id=nyy

You can watch the full game here, but you'll see Meacham crouching with his hands in the air and Abreu running right past him :lol:

Oh OK, fair enough. I just read that article and wanted to understand if it was Meacham making another blunder or if it was a close play on which Abreu could have been thrown out. Thanks for clearing that up.

rajah
07-26-08, 09:17 PM
This guy has no clue. He is way over his head. He not only coaches stupid, he even looks confused.

I was at the game. On ARod's double early in the game off the crease on the score board, Abreu could have scored easilly and was ready to go home until Meacham held him. The Sox were giving the Y's the run; they were not making a play. It is one of many stupid calls I have witnessed from Meacham in the dozen or so games I have watched in person. (You need to be at the park with the right seats to get a good idea of the quality of a third base coach.)

Obviously, it made no difference, But I could imagine this guy costing the Y's a championship this year. To me Girardi's decision to have him out there is the worst thing about him as a manager.

CT-Yankee
07-26-08, 11:13 PM
This guy has no clue. He is way over his head. He not only coaches stupid, he even looks confused.

I was at the game. On ARod's double early in the game off the crease on the score board, Abreu could have scored easilly and was ready to go home until Meacham held him. The Sox were giving the Y's the run; they were not making a play. It is one of many stupid calls I have witnessed from Meacham in the dozen or so games I have watched in person. (You need to be at the park with the right seats to get a good idea of the quality of a third base coach.)

Obviously, it made no difference, But I could imagine this guy costing the Y's a championship this year. To me Girardi's decision to have him out there is the worst thing about him as a manager.

They really better be thinking of replacing him at some point. When the players don't trust him, that is a bad sign. If George was still in charge, it would have already happened.
Willie wasn't great but he is an upgrade here.

a yankeesfan
07-27-08, 10:39 PM
He's cost the Yankees so many runs this year.

Dannman103
Don't know why Damon didn't score on that Nady fly ball...

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
Fire Meacham. NOW.

Seth
07-27-08, 10:42 PM
This guy has to go. How can you not send Damon when you've got Ellsbury who has weak arm?

flymick24
bizarro bobby

dabomb2045
How does this guy still have his job??

NelsonMuntz
07-27-08, 10:44 PM
He's awful.

NYATLCHRIS
07-27-08, 10:48 PM
It's all of your fault. He is afraid to send runners in now because of what you guys have been saying about him.

njdhockey
07-27-08, 10:51 PM
fire him

teknetic
07-27-08, 10:56 PM
What's his relationship with Girardi? are they close? because if not..there isn't any reason to keep for next year (I doubt he gets canned during the year)

flymick24
07-27-08, 11:49 PM
he was the 3B coach on the marlins when girardi managed them... they've remained close since then, and girardi seems to be comfortable with having him there

themgmt
07-27-08, 11:55 PM
He's still on the team because Girardi is loyal to a fault.

JeterForPresident
07-27-08, 11:56 PM
I want this guy gone, if not this season, then he should be replaced for next season. I'm sure he is a nice guy and good friend to Girardi but he is just not a good 3B coach, bottom line.

rajah
07-28-08, 12:00 AM
If Girardi is "comfortable" with Meacham, and apparently he is, he is not half as smart as people claim he is. I know the IQ standard for baseball managers is low, but it should be obvious to him.

I am glad the new Joe replaced the old Joe because I was tired of the old Joe's act, and the new one manages the bullpen better, but as I have stated in other posts, the new one still has many of the limitations of most ex-ball players, not what I hoped for.

NYBravest82
07-28-08, 02:34 AM
Andy Stankiewicz.

Yankees1962
07-28-08, 05:27 AM
If Girardi is "comfortable" with Meacham, and apparently he is, he is not half as smart as people claim he is. I know the IQ standard for baseball managers is low, but it should be obvious to him.

I am glad the new Joe replaced the old Joe because I was tired of the old Joe's act, and the new one manages the bullpen better, but as I have stated in other posts, the new one still has many of the limitations of most ex-ball players, not what I hoped for.
The IQ standard for baseball managers is a lot higher than it is for many baseball fans.:)

JavyVazquezIsSick
07-28-08, 09:09 AM
He is very bad at his job.

rajah
07-28-08, 11:16 AM
The IQ standard for baseball managers is a lot higher than it is for many baseball fans.:)

True that.

sweet_lou_14
07-28-08, 12:12 PM
Meacham got a bunch of guys thrown out, and then immediately became gunshy, perhaps after getting a meeting with Girardi. I've managed enough people to know firsthand how often a person will overcompensate as a response to constructive criticism.

But when someone is good at their job, they just know what to do. Meacham is not. He needs to go.

Yankees1962
07-28-08, 01:05 PM
Meacham got a bunch of guys thrown out, and then immediately became gunshy, perhaps after getting a meeting with Girardi. I've managed enough people to know firsthand how often a person will overcompensate as a response to constructive criticism.

But when someone is good at their job, they just know what to do. Meacham is not. He needs to go.
Let's be honest here, if Randolph isn't hired as a manager next year then he's most likely back in the Yankee organization and it's not out of the realm of possibility that he will be the 3rd base coach in 2009.

Mangycur
07-28-08, 01:20 PM
Yeah, he's terrible. I'm still scratching my head over the FO letting Bowa leave. IIRC, he was pretty vocal about wanting to stay even when it was looking like Torre wouldn't. It's understandable that Girardi would want his "own" coaches, I guess, but Bowa was exceptional, damnit, and "downgrade" doesn't begin to do this situation justice.

Dannman103
07-28-08, 04:48 PM
Let's be honest here, if Randolph isn't hired as a manager next year then he's most likely back in the Yankee organization and it's not out of the realm of possibility that he will be the 3rd base coach in 2009.

I could certainly see that. Although I would wonder if it might be strange for Girardi to have a guy who had coached him serve under him.

themgmt
07-28-08, 10:14 PM
Wow. What the hell.

NYATLCHRIS
07-28-08, 10:14 PM
It's all of your fault. You have this go so frigging paranoid to send runners that he is afraid to send a runner down 9 runs.

themgmt
07-28-08, 10:15 PM
Seriously, What the hell.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
Seriously, wtf? FIRE HIM NOW.

themgmt
Can not have this guy in crucial play off games ruining inning after inning.

themgmt
07-28-08, 10:16 PM
Honestly, What the hell?

NYATLCHRIS
07-28-08, 10:18 PM
Like I said before, It's all of your fault. He comes on these boards and reads about people bashing him for sending in runners. He is snakebit and is afraid to have another runner thrown out at home.

themgmt
07-28-08, 10:19 PM
I mean really, what the hell?

ICEBERG18
07-28-08, 10:21 PM
How he has a job is beyond me, Stevie Wonder would be a better 3rd base coach

teknetic
07-28-08, 10:21 PM
I missed it, what happened? looking at gameday, looks like Cano was held up at third?

NYATLCHRIS
07-28-08, 10:23 PM
I missed it, what happened? looking at gameday, looks like Cano was held up at third?

Cano was rounding third and held by Meachem when he had a 90 percent chance in scoring.

themgmt
07-28-08, 10:25 PM
Cano was rounding third and held by Meachem when he had a 90 percent chance in scoring.

I'd say 100% chance of scoring since the throw went to second base. It was a ground ball up the middle in a 9 run game, Meach is clueless

ober0n98
07-28-08, 10:38 PM
meachem is stupid; giradi is stupid for letting him stay @ 3rd. no wonder none of our players listen to the guy. without faith in leadership, you don't have leadership.

False1
07-28-08, 11:11 PM
Like I said before, It's all of your fault. He comes on these boards and reads about people bashing him for sending in runners. He is snakebit and is afraid to have another runner thrown out at home.I'm 99% certain you're being sarcastic, but I'm 100% sure if this were even 20% conceivable he should be 150% fired.

Send them into outs, hold them from scoring runs. It's really pathetic. They panned over to Cano holding at third and nearly every fan in the background was literally holding their hands up in a collective "WTF Bobby???"

THEBOSS84
07-28-08, 11:13 PM
How he has a job is beyond me, Stevie Wonder would be a better 3rd base coach

:lol:

JeffWeaverFan
07-28-08, 11:15 PM
How many outs were there when he held up Cano? I luckily wasn't able to watch this game.

themgmt
07-28-08, 11:16 PM
Even Cano had the "what the hell" look on his face.

THEBOSS84
07-28-08, 11:17 PM
How many outs were there when he held up Cano? I luckily wasn't able to watch this game.

Two

JeffWeaverFan
07-28-08, 11:20 PM
Two

Figures... The guy is a joke. He doesn't send runners when they clearly will make it and does send them when they clearly won't. I think maybe Girardi talked to him about being too "aggressive" with some of his moves so he just stopped sending guys, period.

THEBOSS84
07-28-08, 11:21 PM
Kay called him out big time for it tonight.

False1
07-28-08, 11:22 PM
Figures... The guy is a joke. He doesn't send runners when they clearly will make it and does send them when they clearly won't. I think maybe Girardi talked to him about being too "aggressive" with some of his moves so he just stopped sending guys, period.If that's the case Girardi should fire him on the spot. His judgment is obviously compromised. We need to get a new 3B coach in there with time to spend with the team before the playoffs - assuming we don't run ourselves out of them.

Buzah!
07-28-08, 11:48 PM
I've never seen an old timer get booed before on old timers day... Saturday should be interesting when they introduce Meacham.

Buzah!
07-28-08, 11:49 PM
btw, why can't we just move Pena over there?

desus
07-29-08, 12:05 AM
Wow, I was at the game and the crowd was screaming for his head. Among some of the choice (and non vulgar) things screamed:

"Fire this clown already"
"Bobby you suck"
"WTF Bobby M"

And then 4 guys next to me started a "We Want Willie" chant.

Seriously, this guy has got to go. How many runs has he cost us this season?

Seth
07-29-08, 12:05 AM
I'm sorry but Meacham has to go now. I don't think Girardi can wait until the season over with to replace Meacham. If Girardi decides to keep Meacham, I think Meacham will cost the Yankees a game because he'll either be to aggressive sending a runner or he'll be ridiculously hesitant in sending a runner.

flymick24
07-29-08, 12:21 AM
he disgusts me as a human being

Dannman103
07-29-08, 12:22 AM
he disgusts me as a human being

Might be going a little far there. But he's certainly a terrible third base coach.

CT-Yankee
07-29-08, 10:04 PM
OK , another clueless night for Meacham. Did you see Arod having to check the outfielder and go through the stop sign? When the players feel they have to do that, your 3rd base coach is useless.

NelsonMuntz
07-29-08, 10:31 PM
OK , another clueless night for Meacham. Did you see Arod having to check the outfielder and go through the stop sign? When the players feel they have to do that, your 3rd base coach is useless.
Yeah not sending A-Rod in that situation was yet another bonehead decision by Meacham. He's simply awful.

iWant27
07-29-08, 10:50 PM
I am sure he is a good guy , but he is a terrible , terrible , terrbile 3rd base coach . I havent even watched most of the games this season on TV or mlb.com but just looking at the highlights ( yeah i know ) you can tell this dude has no idea . I watched few games on FOX saturday , this guy is really really bad . In one of the previous posts I gave few examples of his ineptness .
Girardi has to be really foolish to keep this guy .

CT-Yankee
07-29-08, 11:03 PM
I am sure he is a good guy , but he is a terrible , terrible , terrbile 3rd base coach . I havent even watched most of the games this season on TV or mlb.com but just looking at the highlights ( yeah i know ) you can tell this dude has no idea . I watched few games on FOX saturday , this guy is really really bad . In one of the previous posts I gave few examples of his ineptness .
Girardi has to be really foolish to keep this guy .

I disagree with you. A few more terribles is more like it :) :)

mitch300
07-29-08, 11:39 PM
Meacham has to go. If george was still in charge he would have already been gone. On the way out the door maybe he can take Betemit with him.

JeffWeaverFan
07-30-08, 12:16 AM
My only question is he the worst 3B coach in baseball? And if not, who is worse?

njdhockey
07-30-08, 12:41 AM
fire him

themgmt
07-30-08, 07:02 AM
Someone should remind Peter Abraham to ask Girardi what he thinks of the numerous follies Meacham has had - even just since the ASB. That should get the ball rolling, and hopefully some heads rolling as well

CT-Yankee
07-30-08, 11:06 PM
My only question is he the worst 3B coach in baseball? And if not, who is worse?

Could there be a worse 3B coach -EVER? I heard Cashman tried to offer him for Washburn and that's what shut the deal down. ;)

OlgMvp
08-01-08, 04:17 PM
He reminds me of what was his nickname in Boston? "Wave'em Home" Wendell Kim?

b-ball-lunachick
08-03-08, 10:06 AM
I wanted to grab Willie yesterday at OTD and place him at 3B...Meacham is just terrible..I'm just not sure if he seems worse than he is because I've been spoiled by Willie and Bowa the last several years...

JeffWeaverFan
08-06-08, 10:01 PM
Jeter would have scored had Meachem sent him tonight.

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-06-08, 10:04 PM
He's really really really really bad at his job

fredgmuggs
08-06-08, 10:07 PM
Jeter would have scored had Meachem sent him tonight.No he wouldn't have. On the replay you can see that Jeter took a look over his shoulder at the RFer as he was running towards 3B and he shut it down pretty quickly. He decided he couldn't score long before Meacham gave him the stop sign.

JeffWeaverFan
08-06-08, 10:19 PM
No he wouldn't have. On the replay you can see that Jeter took a look over his shoulder at the RFer as he was running towards 3B and he shut it down pretty quickly. He decided he couldn't score long before Meacham gave him the stop sign.
I saw the replay. Jeter had just rounded 3rd when the RFer was bending down to grab the ball. He decided to stop when Meachem had his hands way up.

fredgmuggs
08-06-08, 10:26 PM
I saw the replay. Jeter had just rounded 3rd when the RFer was bending down to grab the ball. He decided to stop when Meachem had his hands way up.He didn't run hard to 3B. No way was he scoring there.

I did think it was odd on that play how he looked over his shoulder at the RFer, instead of picking up the 3B coach.

MaximMan121
08-06-08, 11:27 PM
Jeter would have scored had Meachem sent him tonight.

Disagree. I'm one of the biggest Meacham haters out there, but I watched that replay 5 times on Tivo, and he'd have been out by 8-10 feet.

That said, fredmuggs makes a good point. Even the players know that he's useless. Frankly, I think that if he had a good shot of making it, Meacham putting his hands up wouldn't have stopped him.

ThePinStripes
08-07-08, 02:33 AM
I would like to have everyone on this forum know I absolutely heckled him to death tonight. I sat 3 rows behind him and did nothing but scream at him for every single play and then some.

From the TH thread:

Some highlights of the evening:

"Jesus ****ing Christ, bobby! what do we pay you for? to ................ing line out?"
"Meacham, stop kicking the dirt! Get your head in the game baby!"
"Bobby, he's throwing the heat, watch out bobby, he's throwing the heat!"
"bobby, good call bobby" (something stupid like lead off batter got walked)
"bobby, it's all you from here on it- it's no one but you"
"Way to stretch bobby. Good stretch, good stretch"
"Meacham, MVP!"
"Meachman! re-open the beer stands!"

A base runner got advanced to third: "Yeah bobby! good call!
runner on third, no play on the pitch, runner comes back to third: "way to bring him back, bobbbbbbbbay, big "bee emmm!"
"They see the anger in your eye's BM, they see it"
"BM, tell him all know BM"
After Molina got to third: "Meachman! Tell him to run [I]really /I]fast!"
"Pay attentions boys, Meacham is a free agent next year!"
"Hey, Tom Hicks! (Ranger's owner, huge jackass)- Meachman for Hamilton- we'll let you keep that hit too."

I absolutely went off on him when he was catching for a pitcher that was warming up behind innings and he dropped the ball. OMG.

It was all in good fun though. Yankees fans all around me were cracking up and having a blast. The one Ranger's fan, who was a real stiff and managed to sit next to me, go angry, protested and went home. Everyone else thought it was hysterical. I should note I was heckling the Ranger's 3rd base coach when he got pissed and left. The ranger's 3rd base coach got it MUCH MUCH worse.

yank4life2005
08-07-08, 07:13 AM
I hope Randolph returns next season to NY.

Derek2HOF
08-07-08, 12:52 PM
Can we DFA Meacham?

Dave B
08-07-08, 07:50 PM
Pena gets a couple of days at third base. So we'll get to see what it's like not having the worst third base coach in the league. One can only hope there are several examples of him making wise decisions and Girardi and Cash take notice.

ARoDfan4life
08-11-08, 04:36 PM
damn...

ppa79
08-11-08, 05:24 PM
http://www.monsterguide.net/how-to-build-a-wind-mill.jpg

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-11-08, 05:41 PM
High on Cashman's priority list this offseason should be to get Bowa back. Both for Cano and for 3rd base. I knew losing Bowa was going to suck.

WIZ
08-11-08, 08:38 PM
I predict Willie will be the 3rd base coach next year. Bobby will be dumped because the team will need to sacrifice someone if it fails this season. He's an easy target.

teknetic
08-12-08, 09:18 PM
The dude is absolutely awful in every sense of the word.

Prison Mike
08-12-08, 09:19 PM
What a freakin waste product.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
08-12-08, 09:20 PM
He should be fired after this inning. They didn't get burned because of X, but still.

JeterForPresident
08-12-08, 09:20 PM
Doesn't send Abreu=mistake
Sends Giambi=mistake

2 mistakes in 2 plays, time to go Bobby.

teknetic
08-12-08, 09:21 PM
Giambi = toast by 5 feet if the catcher holds onto the ball. FFS.

MaximMan121
08-12-08, 09:23 PM
Unreal. He screwed up both sides of that--not sending Bobby, and then sending Giambi. How is this man still employed by the Yankees?

yankeetomer54
Meachem is an absolute disaster. It is not often that you have a thread this long about the third base coach. At the wrong times he is a windmill but when a crucial run is about to score, he becomes a stop sign!
The Yankees need to send him down to the minors to work things out :) and claim Willie off the waiver wire.

YankeesAce4Life
Nady saved Meacham's ass.

He is worse than Willie.

JeterForPresident
08-12-08, 09:24 PM
Nady saved Meacham's ass.

He is worse than Willie.

But Meacham wasn't happy about it so he sent Giambi and the Twins had to bail him out too.

YankeesAce4Life
08-12-08, 09:25 PM
But Meacham wasn't happy about it so he sent Giambi and the Twins had to bail him out too.

:lol:

nhyankeefan
08-12-08, 09:26 PM
Meachem is brutal, if Girardi wants him on the staff that's fine, but he better be far away from the playing field next year.

rajah
08-12-08, 09:36 PM
Unreal. He screwed up both sides of that--not sending Bobby, and then sending Giambi. How is this man still employed by the Yankees?

Girardi. It is on him.

False1
08-13-08, 12:15 AM
I know we can overreact as a fan base, we assume that our GM/Manager/Coaches should never make a mistake... but c'mon, this is absolutely friggin ridiculous. Seriously - when they go over game video doesn't this come up? Cabrera not withstanding, if a player performs this horribly they look to replace him. Are there no other available 3rd base coaches out there in the world of baseball???? Why does this guy still trot out there?

NelsonMuntz
08-13-08, 12:39 AM
He's awful.

R.V.47
08-13-08, 08:50 AM
Meachem is brutal, if Girardi wants him on the staff that's fine, but he better be far away from the playing field next year.

He is a good friend of Joe but I dont think Girardi will make a big stink if Meachem is fired.

PinstripeDynasty
08-13-08, 10:49 AM
Can't they just flip-flop Meacham and Pena? That wouldn't be that insulting. How bad could Pena be?