PDA

View Full Version : Barry Lamar Bonds Performance Thread

webassign
07-17-08, 11:56 AM
http://www.mlbnewsonline.com/2008/07/source-bonds-yankees-deal-imminent.html

Coming soon to a Yankee Stadium near you.

Mods, feel free to close this if it turns out to be false. :)

Mark19
07-17-08, 11:57 AM
Haha, very funny

it looks like the Onion but cheaper and less amusing

Dustin563
07-17-08, 11:58 AM
I guess it is what it is. I'd take Bonds over Sexson.

Snatch Catch
07-17-08, 11:58 AM
I posted that link in the non-formal area for a reason: I have no idea how credible the source is.

THEBOSS84
07-17-08, 11:59 AM
I doubt that website would get the first break on the story. I hope I'm wrong.

Mark19
07-17-08, 12:00 PM
No source, no link, nothing

Just some fans who are having a little fun with Blogspot

randy06
07-17-08, 12:01 PM
lets all hope it is not true

JfromJersey
07-17-08, 12:02 PM
If the rumor was legit it would show up on more than just 1 site.

NYATLCHRIS
07-17-08, 12:02 PM
lets all hope it is not true

Yeah because rooting for Sheffield, Giambi, Pettitte and Clemens among other steroid users is a OK! Plus why get Bonds when the Yankees can trade the farm to get the likes of Xavier Nady.

THEBOSS84
07-17-08, 12:03 PM
Yeah because rooting for Sheffield, Giambi, Pettitte and Clemens among other steroid users is a OK! Plus why get Bonds when the Yankees can trade the farm to get the likes of Xavier Nady.

I guess we think exactly alike on the topic.

randy06
07-17-08, 12:05 PM
ya but right now we need to focus on getting to the playoffs and not a media circus....thats just my two cents

webassign
07-17-08, 12:06 PM
ya but right now we need to focus on getting to the playoffs and not a media circus....thats just my two cents
I guess A-Rod didn't get the memo.

THEBOSS84
07-17-08, 12:07 PM
I got all excited for nothing. This is most likely bs.

hardrain
Cashman was on with Max Kellerman and Brian Kenney this morning - just about two hours ago - and he said the Yanks have no interest.

NYATLCHRIS

It's already a media circus. I rather hear the likes of Arod and Jeter answering questions about Bonds after each game instead of asking about why the does the offense stink and cap tipping to the opposing pitcher..

NYATLCHRIS
07-17-08, 12:08 PM
Cashman was on with Max Kellerman and Brian Kenney this morning - just about two hours ago - and he said the Yanks have no interest.

How often does Cashman reveal his hand?

THEBOSS84
07-17-08, 12:08 PM

Did he give an absolute "no" as an answer, or one of those run around no's?

hardrain
07-17-08, 12:09 PM
How often does Cashman reveal his hand?
he gave a real no....just today.

hardrain
07-17-08, 12:10 PM
Did he give an absolute "no" as an answer, or one of those run around no's?

He said no -- "there wouldn't be enough time for him to get ready" and then Kellerman pushed him on collusion, which Cash denied.

AndThenThereWasTino
07-17-08, 12:10 PM
The deal, being hammered out between Bonds' agent Jeff Borris and general manager Brian Cashman, will well exceed the major league $200,000 minimum
I don't know much about Bonds' agent but isn't it Scott Boris? :dunno:
Anyway, either way I hope this news isn't true.

hardrain
07-17-08, 12:11 PM
Hey - I'd love to have Bonds here for 2 months myself - but I don't see it happening...and that Trade Rumor site is often wrong.

THEBOSS84
07-17-08, 12:11 PM

One is Scott Boras and the other is Jeff Borris.

R.V.47
07-17-08, 12:12 PM
How credible is that site?

webassign
No, his agent is Jeff Borris, not Scott Boras.

THEBOSS84
Hey - I'd love to have Bonds here for 2 months myself - but I don't see it happening...and that Trade Rumor site is often wrong.
Not sure why, but I totally pictured you against this move.

AndThenThereWasTino
One is Scott Boras and the other is Jeff Borris.
Ahh. Thanks for the clarification.

webassign
07-17-08, 12:13 PM
Probably not at all, but at least it's something to discuss on this boring Thursday in the office. :o

hardrain
07-17-08, 12:13 PM

not very -- need another source on this --

hardrain
07-17-08, 12:14 PM
Not sure why, but I totally pictured you against this move.
Keeping Mystery Alive!

Snatch Catch
07-17-08, 12:15 PM
He said no -- "there wouldn't be enough time for him to get ready" and then Kellerman pushed him on collusion, which Cash denied.

Of course Cash denied colluding...

...HE SIGNED THE GUY!!!111!!

R.V.47
07-17-08, 12:16 PM
not very -- need another source on this --

I figured that, I dont see Cashman doing this especially right now with all of the good will coming to the yankees with the all star thing lately.

wej5541
07-17-08, 12:17 PM
No Confirmation, but the Boston Herald:
http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/other_mlb/view/2008_07_17_Yankees_the_only_logical_destination_for_Barry_Bonds/srvc=home&position=recent

And the Star Ledger:
http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2008/07/injuries_pose_as_a_problem_for.html

Think the Yankees are the most likely destination for Bonds. Borris is also starting to claim Collusion which might force the hands of some teams.

webassign
07-17-08, 12:17 PM
I figured that, I dont see Cashman doing this especially right now with all of the good will coming to the yankees with the all star thing lately.
Well with Bonds, the sooner he knows that he's gonna play, the better.

Brick Tamland
07-17-08, 12:28 PM
I thought he was gonna sign with some minor league club? Whatever. Probably not even credible.

Mark19
07-17-08, 12:31 PM
http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/other_mlb/view/2008_07_17_Yankees_the_only_logical_destination_for_Barry_Bonds/srvc=home&position=recent

And the Star Ledger:

Think the Yankees are the most likely destination for Bonds. Borris is also starting to claim Collusion which might force the hands of some teams.

Those aren't rumors, they are conjecture

webassign
07-17-08, 12:32 PM

And the Star Ledger:

So donít worry about a backlash or the possibility of boos. Bonds doesnít. And if heís productive, the cheers will be deafening.
Pick up the phone, Yankees, and unleash your mighty roar. Remind everybody why youíre the bully in every room you enter.
I love it.

Big_E
07-17-08, 12:36 PM
Instead of Adidas, if the Yankees sign Barry, maybe we could get a new sponsor:

http://imgs.t-shirts.com/clipartitems/medium/154965.jpg

ARoDfan4life
07-17-08, 12:37 PM

Not one bit at all in fact it's probably some guy that's not from NY, Cashman gave a clear cut "No" to persuing Bonds on ESPN RADIO this morning in NYC. I guess no one bothered to check that before creating this rumor.

yanksphan
07-17-08, 12:41 PM
Not one bit at all in fact it's probably some guy that's not from NY, Cashman gave a clear cut "No" to persuing Bonds on ESPN RADIO this morning in NYC. I guess no one bothered to check that before creating this rumor.

ESPN isn't from NY either. There goes that theory.

AndThenThereWasTino
07-17-08, 12:41 PM
Reading this thread I'm surprised at the people who want Bonds...

YanksFan1992
07-17-08, 12:44 PM
Bonds still brings something offensively so I wouldn't mind getting him (although it wouldn't be too big a deal to me if we didn't).

However, I highly doubt this story is true.

THEBOSS84
07-17-08, 12:45 PM

It surprises you that some of the Yankee fans want to see their team make the playoffs?

Brick Tamland
07-17-08, 12:45 PM

Desperation will make you do funny things. Everyone is so desperate to see a consistent offense from this team and Bonds did have an OBP of .480 last season.

ppa79
07-17-08, 12:46 PM
If we do sign the guy, I wonder if we have a helmet big enough for his head.

effdamets
07-17-08, 12:47 PM
...it's not so much "wanting Bonds" as much it is "wanting to win"...
I think Bonds gives the Yankees that chance.
That does not mean I like the guy though.
He is still a wretch.

YanksFan1992
By the way you might want a more descriptive thread title. ;)

YASS
Is one enough?

http://images.cafepress.com/image/10980754_400x400.jpg

Get two!

Zimmers' Helmet
07-17-08, 12:49 PM

Desperate times call for desperate measures...

The bottom line is that the Yankees need an OBP machine like Bonds in the #3 spot of this lineup to jumpstart the offense.

His swing also happens to be tailor-made for Yankee Stadium and he would cost nothing but the league-minimum.

Snatch Catch
07-17-08, 12:49 PM
Desperation will make you do funny things. Everyone is so desperate to see a consistent offense from this team and Bonds did have an OBP of .480 last season.

...and a .565 SLG.

BxBomber44
07-17-08, 12:50 PM

having his EYE in our line-up alone right now would help us. i'm sorry and don't really want the yanks to do it, but they have to if they want to make this team better...

THEBOSS84
07-17-08, 12:51 PM
Bonds batting before A-rod....Holy Smokes.

R.V.47
07-17-08, 12:51 PM
Desperate times call for desperate measures...

The bottom line is that the Yankees need an OBP machine like Bonds in the #3 spot of this lineup to jumpstart the offense.

His swing also happens to be tailor-made for Yankee Stadium and he would cost nothing but the league-minimum.

I have a feeling Bonds was just saying he would play for free just to get attention, when he sits down at the table Im sure he wont agree to 300,000 of whatever the veterans minimum is these days. Lets not forget he ended up getting 18 mill from the Giants last year when they were basically the only team willing to sign him.

Zimmers' Helmet
07-17-08, 12:55 PM
I have a feeling Bonds was just saying he would play for free just to get attention, when he sits down at the table Im sure he wont agree to 300,000 of whatever the veterans minimum is these days. Lets not forget he ended up getting 18 mill from the Giants last year when they were basically the only team willing to sign him.

I'm sure that Bonds will accept the league minimum at this point; he really doesn't have any leverage - especially if he went public about playing for the league minimum.

The Giants paid him what they did last year because they knew that his chase for the HR record would be their only draw and in hindsight; it was.

teknetic
07-17-08, 12:55 PM

So he's gonna lie about giving money to charity so he can get a job?

MTYankee23
07-17-08, 12:56 PM
Not to mention having almost an entire year off from baseball couldn't have hurt his knees.

THEBOSS84
07-17-08, 12:57 PM
This BS site got what they wanted. Many, many hits off of a BS rumor. Too bad no one will even consider any future reports from them as truth.

R.V.47
07-17-08, 12:57 PM
So he's gonna lie about giving money to charity so he can get a job?

Did he say that? I didnt know that but dont be surprised if he plays for more than the league minimum. Especially with the yankees who seem to overpay people just to show off how much money they have.

ARoDfan4life
07-17-08, 01:06 PM
ESPN isn't from NY either. There goes that theory.
The headquarters are in Bristol, CT. Max and Kenney also do thier show on top of MSG. Brian Cashman is in NY, uh..yeh :o

AndThenThereWasTino
07-17-08, 01:08 PM
It surprises you that some of the Yankee fans want to see their team make the playoffs?
No it surprises me that after all this man (along with others) has put the legacy of baseball through that Yankees fans can look past this as just "wanting to make the playoffs".

THEBOSS84
07-17-08, 01:09 PM
No it surprises me that after all this man (along with others) has put the legacy of baseball through that Yankees fans can look past this as just "wanting to make the playoffs".

What's done is done. That can't be repaired.

ARoDfan4life
07-17-08, 01:09 PM

Some people have no pride or morals, I know Ruth must be shaking his head to the thought of Barry in his house.

destro
07-17-08, 01:10 PM
Jose Aguirre
Contributing Writer
Jose Aguirre, a k a "The Bronx Bomber," is a popular New York City dance club entertainer and a former fantasy baseball and football champion. He has been accepted into the Sports Management Program at a major East Coast broadcasting school, and is an MBA candidate in a metropolitan graduate program. He resides in the Bronx where he covers the Yankees and the Mets for MLBnewsonline.com.

yanksphan
07-17-08, 01:12 PM
Some people have no pride or morals, I know Ruth must be shaking his head to the thought of Barry in his house.

Yeah...Ruth was the moral standard. :wtf:

AndThenThereWasTino
Not to mention the man hasn't played professionally since last season and is 44...

Yankee Tripper
Babe Ruth was a drunken womanizer. He was still the best player the game has ever seen. I'm not sure how the two are related but are you suggesting that Babe had "high morals"?

THEBOSS84
07-17-08, 01:13 PM
Not to mention the man hasn't played professionally since last season and is 44...

And what did he do in his age 43 season? He "only" put up an OPS of 1045...

AndThenThereWasTino
07-17-08, 01:13 PM
What's done is done. That can't be repaired.
Yes but it doesn't have to be supported either.

ARoDfan4life
07-17-08, 01:14 PM
Babe Ruth was a drunken womanizer. He was still the best player the game has ever seen. I'm not sure how the two are related but are you suggesting that Babe had "high morals"?

It's Ruth House and before it's torn down Barry Bonds ? It might sit well w/ you guys but even I wouldn't go there.

yanksphan
The headquarters are in Bristol, CT. Max and Kenney also do thier show on top of MSG. Brian Cashman is in NY, uh..yeh

And it turns out the guy who wrote that piece lives and works in the Bronx.

Assumption rears it's ugly head once again....

PeteRFNY

As am I. I want to make the playoffs as much as the next guy...but Barry Bonds?

Sure, we all know about Giambi, Sheff, Pettitte, blah blah blah. Unlike those three, we already know what this guy is all about.

Personally, I could care less about 'Roids, and goodness knows the Yankees have given plenty of second chances to guys (like Strawberry) in the name of getting some more offense. What I don't like in this case is the potential Clubhouse Cancer. Here's a guy that is a well-known surly, morose malignant narcissist (and we've already been down that road with the aforementioned Sheffield). Do we really need that sort of attitude right now - just so we can see a cinderblock head pop a few balls into the upper deck?

Barry Bonds does not turn Darryl Rasner into Cy Young. He does not make line drives suddenly start flying off Melky Carbrera's bat. He does not restore Ian Kennedy back to the kid that no-hit the Blue Jays last year for 7-plus, nor does he fix Phil Hughes' rib and put him back on the mound in Texas. He doesn't stop this team from losing three straight after winning four straight. He does not do ANY of these things. In fact, his mere touch does not cure Carl Pavano, either. Anyone who thinks having Barry Bonds around magically cures all this team's ills is being seduced by the idea of seeing balls bounce into the walkways of the upper deck in right and gaudy numbers on pieces of paper - not by reality. Stats sure can make people forget about a lot of baggage.

Maybe he magically becomes a model citizen the way Strawberry did (before his health issues and post-Yankee relapse), or maybe he implodes under the spotlight that is New York. I never liked Bonds, going all the way back to seeing that footage of him arguing with a good man like Jim Leyland about playing time back in his Pittsburgh days. And that was three subopeanas and four hat sizes ago.

Hopefully this is all Bull Sticks, because the concept of seeing Barry Lamarr Bonds in Yankee pinstripes with an NY on his chest leaves a bad taste in my mouth - not for what he's done but for who he is. The kind of bad taste you get from those rotten pistachio nuts. The one where you have to spit the little pistachio bits all over yourself to make it stop.

Also, I have one final message for Barry and his stooge agent: not wanting to deal with a potential attic full of BS does not equal collusion. Get over yourselves.

BillBuckner
07-17-08, 01:15 PM
I will vomit if this is true.

AndThenThereWasTino
His decline is imminent. Especially after abusing his body the way he did.

ARoDfan4life

And we're talking now to be 44 yrs. old, post greenies, post PEDS, post enhancers, taking the DH away from Georgy who needs it, Johnny who will need it, Giambi who might need it.

ARoDfan4life
07-17-08, 01:17 PM
And it turns out the guy who wrote that piece lives and works in the Bronx.

Assumption rears it's ugly head once again....

Would you like the live stream where Cashman shoots down persuing Bonds today ?

yanksphan
07-17-08, 01:20 PM
Would you like the live stream where Cashman shoots down persuing Bonds today ?

Nope. I'd just file it away with all the other times he's shown us his hand.

Zimmers' Helmet
07-17-08, 01:21 PM
Who needs Bonds, right? Afterall, we apparently just signed the immortal Richie Sexson and his amazing .218 BA and .696 OPS to help jumpstart our anemic offense.....

Casey37
07-17-08, 01:25 PM
Somehow I get the feeling that signing Bonds will sooner or later come back to bite the Yankees in the ass. Just my opinion.

THEBOSS84
07-17-08, 01:27 PM
Somehow I get the feeling that signing Bonds will sooner or later come back to bite the Yankees in the ass. Just my opinion.

How?.

PeteRFNY
07-17-08, 01:30 PM
Barry wants to go gnaw on Clemens' cyst. Cyst make Barry strong!

Aww, Clemens no here no more. Clemens busy shredding receipts.

ARoDfan4life
07-17-08, 01:31 PM
the only news right now is that Richie Sexson has signed

Casey37
07-17-08, 01:36 PM
How?.

Gut feeling. This guy carries way too much baggage with him.

THEBOSS84
07-17-08, 01:38 PM
Gut feeling. This guy carries way too much baggage with him.

If they are paying him the minimum, they can cut his ass as soon as he causes any problems whatsoever. The media circus is too crazy for the team to handle after one week? Bye-bye Barry! The risk is low.

Casey37
07-17-08, 01:43 PM
If they are paying him the minimum, they can cut his ass as soon as he causes any problems whatsoever. The media circus is too crazy for the team to handle after one week? Bye-bye Barry! The risk is low.

Then why is Barry still unemployed? There must be a reason why no GM wants to touch him with a ten foot pole.

THEBOSS84
07-17-08, 01:47 PM
Then why is Barry still unemployed? There must be a reason why no GM wants to touch him with a ten foot pole.

Because of an agreement the MLB owners made with eachother that the Yanks will now go back on.

sweet_lou_14
07-17-08, 01:58 PM
Because of an agreement the MLB owners made with eachother that the Yanks will now go back on.

I doubt this, on both counts.

donnybball23
07-17-08, 02:09 PM
I'm going to agree that this rumor was completely fabricated.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Richie-Sexson-not-Barry-Bonds-will-be-your-new?urn=mlb,94440

TheJobaRules
07-17-08, 02:40 PM
It's false, but I did get my hopes up.

I haven't really been on board for signing Barry, but I really don't want this offense to continue it's stagnant ways. The best option out there right now to help fix the offense is Bonds, and if he didn't work out, I'd at least be happy that the Yanks gave it a shot. The risk could be worth the reward.

fellows
07-17-08, 02:48 PM
Giambi and Pettitte are still Yankees. Why not run those cheaters out of town? I wonder how Babe Ruth would feel about those guys disrespecting the pinstripes?

shadyridr
07-17-08, 02:49 PM
Ill say the same thing I said last year when the Yanks signed Clemens. Signing Bonds is like signing the devil. Id rather the Yanks not make the playoffs this year then sign Bonds. And its not like signing him even guarantees us of making the playoffs. I say lets just rebuild towards next year. Im tired of signing these vigilantes.

Zimmers' Helmet
07-17-08, 02:59 PM
I would sign Charles Manson to play CF if it that's what it would take to win ballgames.

I could care less about a player's character flaws so long as it doesn't negatively affect the ballclub. Would Barry? For the league minimum; it's worth finding out, and if it doesn't work out; you release him.

On the other hand; if he can fit in, the upside could be tremendous.

The thought of Jeter, Bonds, A-Rod and Giambi hitting 2nd,3rd, 4th and 5th respectively... :drool:

THEBOSS84
07-17-08, 03:02 PM
I would sign Charles Manson to play CF if it that's what it would take to win ballgames.

I could care less about a player's character flaws so long as it doesn't negatively affect the ballclub. Would Barry? For the league minimum; it's worth finding out, and if it doesn't work out; you release him.

On the other hand; if he can fit in, the upside could be tremendous.

The thought of Jeter, Bonds, A-Rod and Giambi hitting 2nd,3rd, 4th and 5th respectively... :drool:

That's how I feel too. I thought the majority of the older fans would not feel this way for some reason.

Bleacher_Creature
07-17-08, 03:06 PM
Listening to 1050, Don La Greca is saying that it would take Bonds about a month to get ready to play (I don't know if he's assuming or he heard this somewhere)...I also heard 10 days, but this was from his agent, who is trying to get him a contract.

dont_ya_know24
07-17-08, 03:10 PM
w/e i would love for us to sign him, but i also like the idea of platooning miranda and sexson at first and gardner and melky in center. (mentioned in another thread.)

either MIGHT help wake up this offense.

ARoDfan4life
07-17-08, 03:32 PM
While sniffing out the report's validity (or lack thereof), Brown (Tim Brown of Yahoo) was told by Bonds' agent Jeff Borris that the rumor was "not true."

according to this Bonds rumors is a lie (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Richie-Sexson-not-Barry-Bonds-will-be-your-new?urn=mlb,94440)

boog204
07-17-08, 03:35 PM
whether or not it happens the whole clubhouse chemistry stuff is overrated. you know what builds chemistry? winning. you think the yankee chemistry is why we're not playing well or hitting? we haven't had great "chemistry" in a while. also someone mentioned above how adding a moody, narcissitic player won't help. we already have half a team full of em, one more won't hurt. also, you don't think it would help a-rod immensely to have bonds in town and all the attention be on barry?

just-blaze
07-17-08, 03:39 PM
Barry Bonds does not turn Darryl Rasner into Cy Young. He does not make line drives suddenly start flying off Melky Carbrera's bat. He does not restore Ian Kennedy back to the kid that no-hit the Blue Jays last year for 7-plus, nor does he fix Phil Hughes' rib and put him back on the mound in Texas. He doesn't stop this team from losing three straight after winning four straight.

1. Pitching isnt the biggest problem
2. Linedrives from melky wouldnt be a necessity.
3. Again, pitching isnt the biggest problem
4. He would help to stop this team from losing 3 straight b/c those losses are due to lack of OFFENSE.

Anyone who thinks having Barry Bonds around magically cures all this team's ills is being seduced by the idea of seeing balls bounce into the walkways of the upper deck in right and gaudy numbers on pieces of paper - not by reality. Stats sure can make people forget about a lot of baggage.

Riiiiight....Arod will stop hitting, Cano will stop fielding, Jeter and Abreu will boycott the team, Joba will become a heroin addict, and Mo will start killing kittens. And, all of this will occur once that pesky baggage Bonds brings comes to the Bronx.

Maybe he magically becomes a model citizen the way Strawberry did (before his health issues and post-Yankee relapse), or maybe he implodes under the spotlight that is New York.

Ok, then DFA him. See how easy that is when we are paying him 200,000 dollars. Bonds might realize this too.

just-blaze
07-17-08, 03:42 PM
Listening to 1050, Don La Greca is saying that it would take Bonds about a month to get ready to play (I don't know if he's assuming or he heard this somewhere)...I also heard 10 days, but this was from his agent, who is trying to get him a contract.

Who's Don La Greca?

PeteRFNY
07-17-08, 03:50 PM
Riiiiight....Arod will stop hitting, Cano will stop fielding, Jeter and Abreu will boycott the team, Joba will become a heroin addict, and Mo will start killing kittens. And, all of this will occur once that pesky baggage Bonds brings comes to the Bronx.

Ahh, the flippant comments and post-game press conferences with Bond's frowning mug talking about how the press is out to get him while he sits in front of a microphone with an NY logo on it will be priceless. I can't wait to see those edited on to the end of all these Yankee Stadium highlight films, right after shots of Jack McDowell flipping fans the bird and Doyle Alexander breaking his hand in the dugout. Just what this team needs right now, another headcase.

I really, REALLY hope that if the Yankees are stupid enough to sign Bonds so we can enjoy watching him get intentionally walked and pitched around while everyone else that is already here magically start coming through with runners in scoring position (just like 'Angels In The Outfield'). During post-game shows, Barry can heal the sick for Kim Jones' benefit.

I guess I am missing why we need another slow-footed DH (Barry will do REAL great in Yankee Stadium's left field) that also comes with more baggage than The Howells took on a three-hour tour.

Yankee Tripper
07-17-08, 03:58 PM
PeteRFNY, talk about flippant comments. Bonds to my knowledge has never had any run ins with the press (though it is well know he does not have a good relationship with them) and only one run in with a teammate - Jeff Kent - that I am aware off.

I think Barry can say "no comment" with the best of them.

just-blaze
07-17-08, 04:00 PM
Ahh, the flippant comments and post-game press conferences with Bond's frowning mug talking about how the press is out to get him while he sits in front of a microphone with an NY logo on it will be priceless. I can't wait to see those edited on to the end of all these Yankee Stadium highlight films, right after shots of Jack McDowell flipping fans the bird and Doyle Alexander breaking his hand in the dugout. Just what this team needs right now, another headcase.

I really, REALLY hope that if the Yankees are stupid enough to sign Bonds that everyone that is dismissing the arguments against signing him enjoy watching him get intentionally walked and pitched around while everyone else that is already here continues to struggle with runners in scoring position.

I guess I am missing why we need another slow-footed DH (Barry will do REAL great in Yankee Stadium's left field) that also comes with more baggage than The Howells took on a three-hour tour.

It will be priceless, I would love it. Its not like the NY media wouldn't deserve it. And if he is bringing a 600 OPS with that attitude......DFA.

Well, if he gets constantly IBBed, then that means more RBI chances for ARod and Giambi.......Ill take that. Especially, if that means moving Abreu and Posada down in the order.....makes it an exponentially better lineup.

And, maybe that DH/1B we just signed is a better example of what players we should sign.....Slowfooted 600 OPS K machines that go and sulk in the bullpen b/c they don't realize the suckitude they brought to the team.

hellonewman
07-17-08, 04:19 PM
and a consummation of the deal is anticipated forthwith:lol::lol:

Who writes for that site, Geoffrey Chaucer?

PeteRFNY
07-17-08, 04:20 PM
PeteRFNY, talk about flippant comments.

I don't think that was flippant...did I say anything about being brought down by the press and being ready to jump off a bridge and my kids crying?

"You finally brought me and my family down. ... So now go pick a different person." - Barry Lamarr Bonds

flymick24
07-17-08, 04:36 PM
I don't think that was flippant...did I say anything about being brought down by the press and being ready to jump off a bridge and my kids crying?

"You finally brought me and my family down. ... So now go pick a different person." - Barry Lamarr Bonds

bonds certainly had a testy relationship with the media and tended to blame them for al of his misfortunes (even though a lot of them were obviously self-inflicted), but if he were to come to NY, he could learn a thing or two from a-rod, who at one point was the sacrificial lamb for every single thing that went wrong for this team but fixed that by simply making himself less available to the media.

it's pretty simple, actually... the less you show your face, the less they can write about you. and even if they want to write a piece about how you're never in the clubhouse after the games, that'll only last them so long.

Yankee Tripper
07-17-08, 04:41 PM

I guess it was the way you equated him with Jack McDowell flipping off the press and Doyle breaking his own hand - Brown did the same. Barry was never on that level in anger management with the press.

By the way when he was asked in the off season what he would have done differently if he could have done it over he said "I'd be nicer to you guys" The you guys he was refering to was the press.

teknetic
07-17-08, 05:06 PM
Bonds - ARod - Giambi - Abreu (when he isn't sucking)

The dream was fun while it lasted.

YanksFan1992
07-17-08, 05:28 PM
Abraham is saying that the Bonds rumor is false as well.

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2008/07/17/sexson-close-to-deal-with-yankees/

Meanwhile, there is apparently some bogus report out there regarding Barry Bonds. It’s not true.

yank4life2005
07-17-08, 07:28 PM
I wish this were true. He could DH and bat behind A-Rod.

dont_ya_know24
07-17-08, 10:28 PM
I wish this were true. He could DH and bat behind A-Rod.

in front, sir.

you want bonds' huge OBP in front of the guy who cranked 60 homer last year.

webassign
07-18-08, 08:21 AM
in front, sir.

you want bonds' huge OBP in front of the guy who cranked 60 homer last year.
I don't know. I think A-Rod would benefit from Barry protecting him.

JOBA RULES
07-18-08, 08:33 AM
:-padlock- it up.....heres to Barry never being in pinstripes....

ajra21
07-18-08, 08:34 AM
ohhhhhh ... wish bonds ould just disappear.

hardrain
07-18-08, 08:35 AM
it's not happening, folks -- it was never happening.

ajra21
07-18-08, 08:37 AM
it's not happening, folks -- it was never happening.

lock this thread. do it now.

:-padlock- :-padlock- :-padlock-

montrealer
07-18-08, 11:12 AM
If we do sign the guy, I wonder if we have a helmet big enough for his head.
http://www.gohuckyourself.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/gazoo.jpg

Ynkcpt23
07-18-08, 11:56 AM
There are no helmets made by mortal man that could fit that ginormous head...just wanted to get that in before :-padlock-

Pinstripe Pride23
07-18-08, 02:01 PM
In before the lock! Yes!

:-padlock- :-padlock- :-padlock-

yankeeman61
07-18-08, 02:04 PM
ohhhhhh ... wish bonds ould just disappear.

Who??? :wtf:

NYYFAN
07-18-08, 02:49 PM
Bs.....

And the thread title sucks too...

JavyVazquezIsSick
07-18-08, 08:52 PM
:lol::lol:

Who writes for that site, Geoffrey Chaucer?

:lol:

Astorian
07-18-08, 08:57 PM
Bs.....

And the thread title sucks too...

It would be fun for trolls though...

Can you imagine if we signed a 44 year-old alleged PED user and for some strange reason (like being out of baseball for almost a year, or without "help", or maybe just being past the age that most superstars cease to be superstars), he's not what he used to be...

Think of all the "witty" posts we'll see!

Posts like "Hey dude, shouldn't this be the "Barry Lamar Bonds Performance Enhancement Thread?"

ajra21
07-19-08, 05:08 AM
It would be fun for trolls though...

Can you imagine if we signed a 44 year-old alleged PED user and for some strange reason (like being out of baseball for almost a year, or without "help", or maybe just being past the age that most superstars cease to be superstars), he's not what he used to be...

Think of all the "witty" posts we'll see!

Posts like "Hey dude, shouldn't this be the "Barry Lamar Bonds Performance Enhancement Thread?"

love it.

NYATLCHRIS
07-19-08, 03:22 PM
It's time for the Yankees to quit being babies and hypocrites and sign him already.

destro
07-19-08, 08:14 PM
this thread lol

CallOfTheCrow
07-19-08, 08:15 PM
It's time for the Yankees to quit being babies and hypocrites and sign him already.

I must have missed something. What exactly are they doing that makes them hypocrites?

webassign
07-19-08, 08:25 PM
I must have missed something. What exactly are they doing that makes them hypocrites?
Giambi, Pettitte, Clemens, Sheffield etc.

hatfieldms
07-20-08, 08:16 PM
his agent was on ESPN radio today saying that if Bonds was offered the league minimum that he isn't sure Bonds wouldn't take it since he doesn't have much choice. As much as I dislike him it would be hard for me not to want the Yankees to give him the league minimum the rest of the season

Bub
07-21-08, 09:17 AM
Giambi, Pettitte, Clemens, Sheffield etc.In terms of being someone with a "good-guy attitude," Pettitte is a 10, Giambi a 9, Clemens a 5, Sheffield a 2, and Bonds a -8. I don't want that creep anywhere near a Yankee uniform.

ShaneTravis
07-21-08, 09:23 AM
If Brian Cashman held a close door meeting and did a poll with the current Yankee roster what do you think the outcome of this question would be?

"Would you be in favor of us signing Bonds? Would he be too much of a distraction?"

I bet it is uniformly in favor of bringing him on board. The Yankees want to win and I doubt off field issues would be a factor.

Damon
Jeter
Bonds
Arod
Giambi
Abreu
Posada
Cano
Melky

There is not a utility player on this team who would not sign up for that. The rub? is he healthy enough to play?

hatfieldms
07-21-08, 10:39 AM
I think the fact that he hasnt played at all thsi year would mean he would be more rested than ever and would be at a less of a risk of injuries this season

TEPLimey
07-21-08, 03:44 PM
If Brian Cashman held a close door meeting and did a poll with the current Yankee roster what do you think the outcome of this question would be?

"Would you be in favor of us signing Bonds? Would he be too much of a distraction?"

I bet it is uniformly in favor of bringing him on board. The Yankees want to win and I doubt off field issues would be a factor.

Damon
Jeter
Bonds
Arod
Giambi
Abreu
Posada
Cano
Melky

There is not a utility player on this team who would not sign up for that. The rub? is he healthy enough to play?
DL - Posada
DH - Bonds
1B - Giambi

is better than

DL - Posada
DH - Giambi
1B - Sexson/Betemit

by many miles.

JavyVazquezIsSick
07-21-08, 03:47 PM
Cashman doesn't have the balls to do this.

primetime714
07-21-08, 03:50 PM
Desperate times.....

Will Cash give up on this season? Will he trade for another bat? Or will he do the one thing that makes too much sense not to do at this point and sign Bonds?

Could anyone really blame him with injuries to Matsui and Posada? Damon should be available to play LF by the time Bonds is available to play, so now is the perfect time to make this move.

You can't possibly expect to have a chance at the playoffs when the bottom 4 guys in your everyday lineup are:

Melky
Betemit/Sexson
Molina
Gardner

Abe Frohman
07-21-08, 03:52 PM
Regardless of wether the news today about Jo Po gets

this deal done, the fact is we need a QUALITY bat.

I think if you guys just realized what he'd bring to the

lineup and not the clubhouse youd realize how much

this could improve the team.

TEPLimey
07-21-08, 03:52 PM
Cashman doesn't have the balls to do this.
Maybe he doesn't. But I am convinced it is the right move.

JavyVazquezIsSick
07-21-08, 03:54 PM
Maybe he doesn't. But I am convinced it is the right move.

It's been the right move for a while now.

flymick24
07-21-08, 03:56 PM
he coudl try calling up miranda and see if that works at all

TEPLimey
07-21-08, 03:56 PM
correcto

Torre Must Go
07-21-08, 03:58 PM
I wouldn't be against this and haven't been for a long time. The injury to Posada only adds to the fact we need more offense. No one likes Bonds but if/when he puts on the pinstripes and hits for power, gets on base, and helps us win, I think we can all overlook the fact he's a jerk.

Plus it wouldn't cost much and nothing in terms of propsects, which Cashman loves to hold onto. I don't think Bonds would be dumb enough to be a bigger distartcion than he already is and would trust Girardi and the veterans to keep him in check.

themgmt
07-21-08, 04:00 PM
Imagine Giambi and Bonds being protection for A-Rod. Bonds is like Giambi on steroids, umm, you know what I mean.

Damon
Jeter
Giambi
A-Rod
Bonds
Cano
Abreu
Molina
Melky

Winning with Bonds would feel dirty though, count me out.

JavyVazquezIsSick
07-21-08, 04:01 PM

He doesn't hit lefties at all, right? That would be a perfect fit.

primetime714
07-21-08, 04:01 PM

Agreed, but with every injury this moves keeps getting pushed down his throat.

If this move doesn't get done Cashman is either a complete coward or there is definitely something we don't know about the situation (i.e. a private agreement across baseball to blackball this guy). Plenty of teams could've used him and would've taken the risk on his personality and negative PR especially at the ML minimum.

Giddyup5
07-21-08, 04:02 PM
Can't believe im saying this...but sign Bonds.

Either stand pat and ride the guys we have and hope for the best.

Or bite the bullet and sign Bonds.

Trading our prospects to fill all the holes we have now without any trade leverage... def reckless.

flymick24
07-21-08, 04:03 PM
He doesn't hit lefties at all, right? That would be a perfect fit.

damon would be back in LF, thus allowing sexson and miranda to platoon at DH

TEPLimey
07-21-08, 04:05 PM
damon would be back in LF, thus allowing sexson and miranda to platoon at DH

Barry Bonds at DH >>>>>>> Sexson and Miranda platooning at DH

Jace
07-21-08, 04:06 PM
Cashman can't just play the baseball angle, he has to play some politics too (at least a minor amount), and they could make this move career suicide

TEPLimey
07-21-08, 04:07 PM
Cashman can't just play the baseball angle, he has to play some politics too
Why? All of baseball already hates the "evil empire" Yankees. Its the Steinbrenner style to give the rest of baseball the finger, sign a guy like Bonds, then win.

TheJobaRules
07-21-08, 04:08 PM
Imagine Giambi and Bonds being protection for A-Rod. Bonds is like Giambi on steroids, umm, you know what I mean.

Damon
Jeter
Giambi
A-Rod
Bonds
Cano
Abreu
Molina
Melky

Winning with Bonds would feel dirty though, count me out.

Nothing wrong with playing the heel. ;)

Jace
07-21-08, 04:09 PM
Why? All of baseball already hates the "evil empire" Yankees. Its the Steinbrenner style to give the rest of baseball the finger, sign a guy like Bonds, then win.

Maybe. Barry's pretty obviously been blacklisted, maybe signing him would get Cashman the same. It also has the potential to alienate a sizeable portion of the fanbase, the revenue source

Believe me, i wouldn't care at all. But ive seen how much a lot of people do

TEPLimey
07-21-08, 04:12 PM
Maybe. Barry's pretty obviously been blacklisted, maybe signing him would get Cashman the same. It also has the potential to alienate a sizeable portion of the fanbase, the revenue source
Maybe, but I bet if baseball could blacklist the Yankees, they would have already. Besides, killing the Yankees' machine would ruin baseball and every owner in the business knows it.

Believe me, i wouldn't care at all. But ive seen how much a lot of people do
Meh. Justice beat his wife. Sheff was a jerk. RJ attacked a cameraman. Giambi basically admitted doing 'roids. ARod is the media's whipping boy.

If I have learned one thing about NY fans is that winning cures a lot of ills.

scooterfan
07-21-08, 04:14 PM
Barry Bonds at DH >>>>>>> Sexson and Miranda platooning at DH

Barry Bonds pre-2007? No doubt.

The Barry Bonds who has yet to play in 2008? Not so much

The idea that Bonds can simply come back, do a 10 day rehab, and start raking (at age 44) seems a tad unrealistic.

I'd rather give Miranda and Sexson a shot. Miranda could be part of the answer beyond 2008

Bonds? Not so much

Yankee Tripper
07-21-08, 04:15 PM
If Matsui and Posada are done, our log jam at DH just got a little cleared up. Sign Bonds yesterday.

Yankee Tripper
07-21-08, 04:17 PM

The idea that Bonds can simply come back, do a 10 day rehab, and start raking (at age 44) seems a tad unrealistic.

I'd rather give Miranda and Sexson a shot. Miranda could be part of the answer beyond 2008

Bonds? Not so much
Miranda is hitting under 200 against lefties in AAA, let's let him work out some of the kinks in his swing against lefties in the minors before bringing him to the Bronx. Even a platoon guy is going face lefties once in a while and I'd rather not have another automaic out inthe lineup.

Jace
07-21-08, 04:17 PM
Maybe, but I bet if baseball could blacklist the Yankees, they would have already. Besides, killing the Yankees' machine would ruin baseball and every owner in the business knows it.

Meh. Justice beat his wife. Sheff was a jerk. RJ attacked a cameraman. Giambi basically admitted doing 'roids. ARod is the media's whipping boy.

If I have learned one thing about NY fans is that winning cures a lot of ills.

I didn't mean the Yankees get blacklisted- i mean Cashman gets blacklisted from an MLB job. Maybe unlikely, but I thought the way Barry has been collaborated against was unlikely

You make good points, but I think you are underestimating the amount this move by Cashman would put his own neck on the line. It would be like Harvey Dent in The Dark Knight, if you've seen that (go see it). Barry is a more polarizing national figure by far than any of those guys. Very, very tough decision to make, Cashman would be putting everything on himself

TEPLimey
07-21-08, 04:19 PM

Bonds? Not so much
Barry Bonds put up an OPS+ of 170 last season. I don't think if you added Miranda's OPS+ to Sexson's you'd top that.

If Bonds comes back at 75% of last season he is instantly in our top 3 hitters.

primetime714
07-21-08, 04:23 PM

It depends what kind of shape he is in. I think 10 days is optimistic, but just over 2 weeks isn't out of the realm of possibility. I mean hitters have always complained about how long ST is. Really only the pitchers need that long to get ready. Hitters can get themselves going pretty quickly.

In all honesty I think Bonds could pick up a bat today and contribute more to this lineup than Melky, Gardner, Betemit, Sexson, or Miranda could.

webassign
07-21-08, 04:24 PM
GET IT DONE CASHMAN.

no excuses now :o

Mr. Mxylsplk
07-21-08, 04:29 PM
In all honesty I think Bonds could pick up a bat today and contribute more to this lineup than Melky, Gardner, Betemit, Sexson, or Miranda could.
And that's really the point. He's old and he hasn't played in close to a year. He's probably not going to put up a 1.000 ops in August. But it's not like our choice is Bonds vs. Matsui. We're talking about using him to fill a roster spot currently filled by total dreck. I can understand not wanting him because of who he is. I don't share that opinion, but I can understand it. But I really can't understand thinking he can't help the team. He could be a far cry from what he's been in the past, and still be a material improvement over the guys we're throwing out there each night now.

Yankee Tripper
07-21-08, 04:31 PM

He's not injured is he? In 2005 he was in fact injured, missed most of the season, came back in September and hit .286 with 5 HRs in just 14 games. 10 days is probably unrealistic but if he is just DHing how good a shape does he really need to be in?

diehardyankeefan
07-21-08, 04:36 PM
You know what as much as I don't like Bonds, this might be a move that has to be done. The Yankees bottom 3 will maybe be among the worst in baseball. I mean with Matsui and Posada both possibly out for the rest of the year, there is a DH spot open now. True, Damon can't play LF every day so he'll DH once in a while too, but this Yankees offense needs a bat now whether it is in the trade market or free agency.

Hellsing
07-21-08, 04:37 PM
Bonds would get so much scrutiny, Joba could start robbing little old ladies and it STILL wouldn't make the papers.

I think his baggage is actually a GOOD thing for a team like this.

Yankee Tripper
07-21-08, 04:38 PM
You know what as much as I don't like Bonds, this might be a move that has to be done. The Yankees bottom 3 will maybe be among the worst in baseball. I mean with Matsui and Posada both possibly out for the rest of the year, there is a DH spot open now. True, Damon can't play LF every day so he'll DH once in a while too, but this Yankees offense needs a bat now whether it is in the trade market or free agency.
Bonds can't play left that well but I bet he could play two days a week to give Damon a day off here and there and you can always pull him for a defensive replacement late. It's not like we'll be wasting a spot with a 3rd catcher anymore.

Hellsing
07-21-08, 04:41 PM
Bonds can't play left that well but I bet he could play two days a week to give Damon a day off here and there and you can always pull him for a defensive replacement late. It's not like we'll be wasting a spot with a 3rd catcher anymore.

I wouldn't put Bonds out in the field for a single second. If Damon can't play that day, trot out Gardner. Bonds is the DH. That's it.

webassign
07-21-08, 04:49 PM
Finally, time for a new avatar.

JavyVazquezIsSick
07-21-08, 05:04 PM
Bonds really isn't as bad of an outfielder as people are making him out to be.

2007 UZR;

Bonds; -10
Matsui; -21

Yankee Tripper
07-21-08, 05:08 PM
Bonds really isn't as bad of an outfielder as people are making him out to be.Watching him last year in SF he turned a lot singles into doubles but not cutting off balls, he also has very limited range now and didn't get to a lot of balls that simply dropped in. His arm that was never strong is probably on par with or a notch below Damon now. Still all things considered I could live with him in left field once or twice a week. Especially on the road where he didn't have to cover such a large left field.

Hellsing
07-21-08, 05:08 PM
Bonds really isn't as bad of an outfielder as people are making him out to be.
2007 UZR;

Bonds; -10
Matsui; -21

Don't run the risk of placing your best hitter on the DL. I want him shooting up roids and HGH on the bench ready to pop a homerun when he gets up.

Comparing Bonds to the absolute worst defender on the team doesn't really help the case. They are both terrible, but Bonds has a career OPS over 1.000 so...sign him.

hatfieldms
07-21-08, 05:17 PM

I am tired of everyone constantly wanting to call "the kids" up and see if they work out. The Yankees have players dropping like flies and there sits Bonds ready to play for damn near nothing. I don't like the guy either but that doesn't take away from the fact that he is a hell of a hitter and could do wonders in this line up.

I can understand some people that want to see what the farm can do after the previous 5+ years of overpaid all stars, but i just think some people are now going overboard with it by wanting to replace every injury with someone from the minors. You have to have an even balance of farm raised talent to go with the stars/veterans. Right now the Yankees need a veteran

R.V.47
07-21-08, 05:23 PM
Cashman couldve signed him last week instead of Sexson, or signed him when it seemed likely Matsui was going for surgery, but he didnt and I dont see why he would now.

TEPLimey
07-21-08, 05:25 PM
Cashman couldve signed him last week instead of Sexson, or signed him when it seemed likely Matsui was going for surgery, but he didnt and I dont see why he would now.
IMO, he should have signed Bonds then.

But at that point it would be Bonds at DH over Posada. Now it would be Bonds over Gardner, Betemit, or Sexson.

Huge difference.