PDA

View Full Version : What would no post season mean for JG? [Girardi]

Nuke LaLoosh
07-15-08, 02:15 PM
Not trying to be grim, but the All-Star break provides lots of time for idle consideration.

As the Yankee ownership have become very accustomed (not too mention the fans) to being in the post season and firing the manager is the time honored baseball tradition for fixing "problems" when a team is viewed to have underperformed, does Joe G have anything to fear should the Yankees not make it into the playoffs?

I recall some analysts speculating that one of the reasons not to give Don Mattingly the gig was should the Yankeees not make the post season for the first time in over a decade the Steinbrenners would have to fire a legend. Now I don't believe it will happen that automatically but I am curious if anyone sees any jeopardy for Girardi?

Consider some scenarios:

- They miss by a lot (second half slump, end up fourth or even fifth in the East)
- They miss by a little (3-5 games back in the WC)
- They just miss (1-2 games back, in it right up to the end)

Jeter Kid
07-15-08, 02:17 PM
I don't think he will have to fear anything. The Steinbrenners understand the injuries and know we have some guys coming up who can help us out these next couple years.

If they don't make the postseason, I think Girardi will still be safe for next year.

YanksFanTillDeath
07-15-08, 02:23 PM
nothing...

ZYanksRule
07-15-08, 02:25 PM
He has nothing to fear. The entire organization realizes that we're not gunning for 2008. The plan was always to sacrifice this year and go after it next year and the year after.

Mr. Mxylsplk
07-15-08, 02:58 PM
Like the other posters, I don't think it would mean anything more than that he'd be watching on television just like the rest of us.

Nuke LaLoosh
07-15-08, 03:03 PM
He has nothing to fear. The entire organization realizes that we're not gunning for 2008. The plan was always to sacrifice this year and go after it next year and the year after.

So even in they were to totally fall of in the second half and finish towards the bottom of the division you think he is completely safe?

I would like to think that's true (I like Girardi) but Hank makes me nervous.

Brick Tamland
07-15-08, 03:06 PM
I would hope he'd be safe. He should get more than one injury riddled year to prove himself. Now if they fall off this season AND next...that's a different story.

Hellsing
07-15-08, 03:10 PM
It means more time for the wife and kids.

Jasbro
07-15-08, 03:12 PM
Previous managers have overcome horrific injuries and discouraging starts over the past years and somehow got the Yankees in the postseason. If Girardi cannot get this team to gel for a major run and we miss the playoffs for the first time in 13 years, he'll be under the microscope and in the firing line early next year just as Willie was for the Mets after their collapse last year. And if we begin with another slow start, I can't see any reason to keep him.

A manager has to win over the clubhouse before he can win on the field. Girardi hasn't shown me he's done that yet.

primetime714
07-15-08, 03:13 PM
No way they pull the trigger on firing him that quickly. Next year he could be on the hot seat if things aren't going according to plan, but this year he is definitely safe.

johnnyyankee
07-15-08, 03:14 PM

What? There was never a plan to sacrifice this year.

surge511
07-15-08, 03:15 PM
It would put him on the fence for next year. But I think no matter what, he starts next season as the manager.

Jasbro
07-15-08, 03:15 PM
What? There was never a plan to sacrifice this year.

Only in the minds of those who wanted to create a safety net for whomever followed Torre.

JL25and3
07-15-08, 03:17 PM
Safe over the offseason, but he'd better not get off to a slow start next year.

Casey37
07-15-08, 03:20 PM
Nothing. This year, he gets a free pass. Next season, it's a totally different story.

Ynkcpt23
07-15-08, 03:25 PM
Nothing. This year, he gets a free pass. Next season, it's a totally different story.

It's (and free pass) probably limited to one year though. I can imagine that seat getting warm next season. Especially if they get off to another sluggish start.

Toaderly
07-15-08, 05:31 PM
There's a huge potential for a lot of changes during the off-season for the Yankees given the amount of cash that will be falling off the books. Hopefully, Girardi will get dealt a better hand for '09. Either way, I'm sure the flames will be turned up a little higher next year if the team gets off to a rough start.

Matt
07-15-08, 05:35 PM
The question should be: What would no post season mean for Brian Cashman?

dabomb2045
07-15-08, 05:36 PM
Only in the minds of those who wanted to create a safety net for whomever followed Torre.

I always saw this year as a "transition" year. Cash and the FO has been looking at the FA Class of 2009 for awhile now. Alot of money comes off the books and we can reload by signing guys like CC and Tex. The main goals this year were to get Hughes and Kennedy experience (unfortunately that hasnt happened), transition Joba into a starter (successful) while still competing for a playoff spot.

27IsNext
07-15-08, 06:31 PM
Previous managers have overcome horrific injuries and discouraging starts over the past years and somehow got the Yankees in the postseason. If Girardi cannot get this team to gel for a major run and we miss the playoffs for the first time in 13 years, he'll be under the microscope and in the firing line early next year just as Willie was for the Mets after their collapse last year. And if we begin with another slow start, I can't see any reason to keep him.

A manager has to win over the clubhouse before he can win on the field. Girardi hasn't shown me he's done that yet.

Girardi may not have won over the clubhouse, but he won't be getting the axe for the duration of his three-year deal.

I'd like to see what he could do with a team made up of different players, as I think the old Torre guard simply aren't responding to him.

stupidpunchline
07-16-08, 06:16 AM
"Sigh. That's okay, Joe. Get 'em next year... or you're fired."

b_joseph
07-16-08, 07:01 AM
In my eyes, it would mean failure. But more blame go's to Cashman because Girardi doesnt assemble the team.

SoCal Pinstriper
07-17-08, 11:33 AM
I thought this was about Giambi (Descriptive thread titles are wonderful things).

My answer was going to be October bartabs in Vegas and, hopefully, a new, two year deal with the Yankees.

As for Girardi, I'd like to see him get an opportunity to finish his contract. I think that he's done a good job overall. However, if they were to decide to go in a different direction, I doubt I'd be really upset either.

Nuke LaLoosh
07-17-08, 12:29 PM
I thought this was about Giambi (Descriptive thread titles are wonderful things).

My answer was going to be October bartabs in Vegas and, hopefully, a new, two year deal with the Yankees.

As for Girardi, I'd like to see him get an opportunity to finish his contract. I think that he's done a good job overall. However, if they were to decide to go in a different direction, I doubt I'd be really upset either.

My bad, thanks to the mods for fixing my poorly titled thread.

JeffWeaverFan
07-17-08, 11:23 PM
Eh, not much. It's not his fault that the offense can't hit.

JeterRodriguezSheff
07-17-08, 11:34 PM

That Torre fella is doing sooooooo well in LA.

montrealer
07-18-08, 05:57 AM

Oiy........I must agree. He has not showed what I expected of him. It`s not his fault but that`s baseball. These players should be held accountable but it`s always the manager.

rajah
07-18-08, 06:40 AM
Barring something else happening other than just finishing out of the playoffs, I am sure Girardi will be back in 2009. The real question is what happens if the team is still ca .500 in June of 2009. I think that depends on what kind of team he is given, what kind of success at retooling the Y's have over the off-season and what strides are made by the young pitchers.

ajra21
07-18-08, 07:57 AM
if they don't let him do his job for the three years he has on his contract then they are making a serious mistake.

yankeesnumber1
07-18-08, 07:58 AM
It would mean nothing for him....he is safe.