PDA

View Full Version : Yankee Farmhands

dougj1
07-11-08, 04:07 AM
Looking at Christian and Gardner prove that Cashman doesn't have anything in the farm system that remotely resembles ML talent that could have an impact this season or next....What a GM. I wonder what he thinks of himself knowing he inherited a great franchise and has turned it into an also ran!

dougj1
07-11-08, 04:13 AM
I refer to position players.

JL25and3
07-11-08, 05:13 AM
I refer to position players.That's as opposed to all the great MLB-ready position players that were in the system when he took over?

teknetic
07-11-08, 07:05 AM
Hopefully this thread sticks and you can direct all your treasured opinions on Cashman (ad nauseum) here.

BRNXBMRS
07-11-08, 07:19 AM
Look at all of the recent drafts, the Yankees have loaded up on pitching and nothing else.

cupcollector99
07-11-08, 07:42 AM
Everything begins and ends with pitching. The Yankees need to develop pitching, which they can trade for major league talent at positions. That is what the farm system is for. If a promising young starter can yield a good position player on the market while they develop a minor leaguer to fill the roll, he does his job.

They don't need all-stars at every position, they just need guys that can play solid defense and become good situational hitters with sharp eyes at the plate.

Now I don't think the guys they've brought up are going to really provide much help to the team this year, but this is what it takes to develop talent. Patience and an eye toward the future.
It only helps guys like Gardner to hang around with Jeter, ARod, Damon, Matsui, Mo and Abreu. If I recall, Bernie was not spectacular his first call-up either and he seemed to work out pretty good.

apalradio
07-11-08, 08:02 AM
I sometimes wonder whether it's talent evaluation, player development and training methods, or something else that results in so many of our farmhands not turning out so well. A few, like Joba, Cano, and Wang do come up and perform quite well. But so many of our highly touted prospects just tend to fizzle. Remember Eric Duncan? There's a guy that should have been traded two or three years ago when his value was at a peak.

Right now we seem to have a number of names who project well as future major leaguers. Do we keep every single one of them in the hopes that one or two every once in a blue moon will come up and play well? Or do we turn a few of them into impact deals if and when the opportunity arises? I wouldn't get overly critical of Cashman's handling of the farm system, but if anything, maybe he's just made too many of our farmhands untouchables.

primetime714
07-11-08, 08:21 AM
I sometimes wonder whether it's talent evaluation, player development and training methods, or something else that results in so many of our farmhands not turning out so well. A few, like Joba, Cano, and Wang do come up and perform quite well. But so many of our highly touted prospects just tend to fizzle. Remember Eric Duncan? There's a guy that should have been traded two or three years ago when his value was at a peak.

Right now we seem to have a number of names who project well as future major leaguers. Do we keep every single one of them in the hopes that one or two every once in a blue moon will come up and play well? Or do we turn a few of them into impact deals if and when the opportunity arises? I wouldn't get overly critical of Cashman's handling of the farm system, but if anything, maybe he's just made too many of our farmhands untouchables.

Every team has prospects that don't pan out. Not so many organizations produce prospects like Joba, Cano, and Wang in only a few years.

Eric Duncan was never a "can't miss" prospect. He had one really good year in A ball and went downhill from there with only small signs of promise. I think more people are dissapointed with his fall because he was out top ranked prospect at one point. However the thing he was our top ranked prospect when our system was one of the worst in the baseball. I think he was at least a little bit overrated because of that. We probably should've traded him, but the only offer out there I remember was Duncan and Hughes for Mark Kotsay.

CommerceComet
07-11-08, 09:11 AM
Right now we seem to have a number of names who project well as future major leaguers. Do we keep every single one of them in the hopes that one or two every once in a blue moon will come up and play well? Or do we turn a few of them into impact deals if and when the opportunity arises? I wouldn't get overly critical of Cashman's handling of the farm system, but if anything, maybe he's just made too many of our farmhands untouchables.When it comes to prospects, I'm always skeptical until proven wrong. One thing that I've learned in the many years I've been following baseball is that "can't miss" prospects do, and generally more often than not.

If Cashman is going to emphasize pitching when drafting players, he's going to have to be willing to part with a quality ptiching prospect now and then to get the other positions filled. Although I don't want to repeat the 80s and make this a habit, sometimes you have to give up possible future benefits for immediate help. Other than Joba, I don't think any player in our system should be untouchable if the right trade presents itself.

zombo
07-11-08, 09:20 AM
When it comes to prospects, I'm always skeptical until proven wrong. One thing that I've learned in the many years I've been following baseball is that "can't miss" prospects do, and generally more often than not.

If Cashman is going to emphasize pitching when drafting players, he's going to have to be willing to part with a quality ptiching prospect now and then to get the other positions filled. Although I don't want to repeat the 80s and make this a habit, sometimes you have to give up possible future benefits for immediate help. Other than Joba, I don't think any player in our system should be untouchable if the right trade presents itself.

well, i would say hughes and joba, but i am more than willing to part with kennedy if a trade comes up. i think some are a bit critical of cashman when they shouldn't. wang, joba, cano, possibly hughes, cabrera (who i like a lot. not everyone has to be a .300 30 100 player. his defense is really good.), and some of the young bullpen guys have all been under cashman. plus, it's too early to tell if the young position guys will work out. let's give them more than a couple months to see if they'll be good players.

Brick Tamland
07-11-08, 09:44 AM
I refer to position players.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07112008/sports/yankees/yankees_prospect_is_brewer_of_victories_119357.htm

Hope he pans out! Not holding my breath...

NelsonMuntz
07-11-08, 09:55 AM
This thread should have been started on April 1st. Otherwise it servers no purpose.

JL25and3
07-11-08, 10:00 AM
well, i would say hughes and joba, but i am more than willing to part with kennedy if a trade comes up. i think some are a bit critical of cashman when they shouldn't. wang, joba, cano, possibly hughes, cabrera (who i like a lot. not everyone has to be a .300 30 100 player. his defense is really good.), and some of the young bullpen guys have all been under cashman. plus, it's too early to tell if the young position guys will work out. let's give them more than a couple months to see if they'll be good players.Willing to part with Kennedy? I should hope so. The problem is that his trade value is nowherre near what it was a few months ago.

BRNXBMRS
07-11-08, 10:04 AM
http://www.nypost.com/seven/07112008/sports/yankees/yankees_prospect_is_brewer_of_victories_119357.htm

Hope he pans out! Not holding my breath...

You'll be holding your breath for a long time.

Hellsing
07-11-08, 10:16 AM
Looking at Christian and Gardner prove that Cashman doesn't have anything in the farm system that remotely resembles ML talent that could have an impact this season or next....What a GM. I wonder what he thinks of himself knowing he inherited a great franchise and has turned it into an also ran!

You must be an uber scout if you can predict someone's ability to be a productive major league player when they have less than 100 ABs. Obviously, the greatest players in the world all started off with Batting Averages over .500. Clearly anyone who started their rookie season on a tear has never cooled off and became a mediocre player.

Kudos to your in-depth analysis.

Don Mack
07-11-08, 11:00 AM

So having Christian and Gardner in the farm system PROVES that Cashman doesn't know what he's doing, eh? Well, I predict Brett Gardner is going to be a starter on some MLB team and soon. Michael Kay said that batting coach Kevin Long has been working with Gardner, trying to get him to use his legs more in order to get more power.

The thing I like about Gardner is that once he gets on base, he usually steals second and is in position to score on a hit. That makes him extremely valuable in a close game. He also puts some pressure on Cabrera to start producing at the plate. In 89 games Cabrera has a whopping 34 RBI's. He's hitting .244. 7 stolen bases in those 89 games. Gardner, while not hitting a whole lot, has stolen 4 bases in 8 games and has a game-winning hit as well.

I say, give Gardner some time and he'll replace Cabrera in center field. Another farmhand that I see a lot of posters down on is Ian Kennedy. To me, he's a young Mike Mussina in the making. When he's hitting the corners of the plate, he's difficult to hit. He can also reach 91-92 on the radar gun. And, he moved up in the Yankee farm system very rapidly. I hope, like Robinson Cano, that they hold onto both of them.

CommerceComet
07-11-08, 11:54 AM
well, i would say hughes and joba, I would be very reluctant to trade Hughes, however, if the right deal come up, I would do it. I just can't envision any realistic scenario where I would trade Joba.

Prison Mike
07-11-08, 12:14 PM
Another farmhand that I see a lot of posters down on is Ian Kennedy. To me, he's a young Mike Mussina in the making. When he's hitting the corners of the plate, he's difficult to hit. He can also reach 91-92 on the radar gun. And, he moved up in the Yankee farm system very rapidly. I hope, like Robinson Cano, that they hold onto both of them.

Moose threw much harder than Kennedy when he was Kennedy's age.

You'd be more accurate saying Hughes is like a young Mussina.

wang+cano=future
07-11-08, 01:14 PM
I would be very reluctant to trade Hughes, however, if the right deal come up, I would do it. I just can't envision any realistic scenario where I would trade Joba.

If the Reds came calling and offered up Bruce and Volquez........

CommerceComet
07-11-08, 02:22 PM
If the Reds came calling and offered up Bruce and Volquez........I doubt they would realistically make that offer for Joba which is why I put that qualifier in my post. If it were actually made, I would think about it. If for Hughes, I would say yes. If for Kennedy, I would call Ian and tell him to pack a bag because I'm picking him up in five minutes.

marshcat
07-11-08, 02:34 PM
I doubt they would realistically make that offer for Joba which is why I put that qualifier in my post. If it were actually made, I would think about it. If for Hughes, I would say yes. If for Kennedy, I would call Ian and tell him to pack a bag because I'm picking him up in five minutes.

I would make that trade immediatly.

Yankee Tripper
07-11-08, 02:53 PM
I'm not the most up on our system but coming into this year the general feeling I got from respected sources (Baseball Prospectus and Baseball America) and echoed by many posters on this and other Yankee sites was that - No the yankees really did not have any MLB ready bats for this year that most of the "impact bats" in our system would not be ready until 2009 - 2011 depending on the particular prospect. The gardner was the closest to MLB ready but really projected better as a 4th outfielder.

That said there was supposed to be a great deal of young pitching talent in the system that could help out greatly this year, that hasn't really been as good as most of us would have hoped. But the stockpiling of good young arms is there at every level in our system.

Oh and the farm system was a laughing stock when he took over, his hiring of Damon Oppenhiemer and greater involvment in the draft process has widely been credited with rebuilding a dismal farm system into one of the top-5 rated systems in MLB coming into this year if I remember right. All this despite rarely if ever picking higher than 25 each year in the draft. The Yanks don't have the luxury of drafting Jay Bruce, Ryan Braun, Evan Longoria and the likes becasue the Yanks don't lose 100 games very often.

bigdan
07-11-08, 03:00 PM
Everything begins and ends with pitching. The Yankees need to develop pitching, which they can trade for major league talent at positions. That is what the farm system is for. If a promising young starter can yield a good position player on the market while they develop a minor leaguer to fill the roll, he does his job.

True, which means the the time is now for Cash to trade Hughes, Kennedy or anyone not named Jackson or Montero for a bonofide outfielder who is fairly young and can drive in runs. The future is not getting better for the Yankees offense. They have more young pitching than they can ever use. You can wait to the offseason, but that means this year is (and another year for Jeter and Arod) wasted.

bigdan
07-11-08, 03:02 PM

I used to see Mussina regularly hit 94 and 95. Haven't seen Hughes do that yet.

hatfieldms
07-11-08, 03:05 PM
But it is so much fun to watch "The Kids" play! Who cares if they are any good? Recess at Yankee Stadium is what it is all about!

bigdan
07-11-08, 03:06 PM
When it comes to prospects, I'm always skeptical until proven wrong. One thing that I've learned in the many years I've been following baseball is that "can't miss" prospects do, and generally more often than not.

Agreed, but I wouldn't touch Montero or Jackson. Not sure how good Jackson will becorme, but he has the tools and CF is a long term need. Montero is the only position player in the system that looks special.

cupcollector99
07-11-08, 03:18 PM
True, which means the the time is now for Cash to trade Hughes, Kennedy or anyone not named Jackson or Montero for a bonofide outfielder who is fairly young and can drive in runs. The future is not getting better for the Yankees offense. They have more young pitching than they can ever use. You can wait to the offseason, but that means this year is (and another year for Jeter and Arod) wasted.

I was making a similar point in my case for Santana. They need to leverage the young arms sooner rather than later because the heart of the team isn't getting any younger. If we think the team is having a hard time driving in runs now, wait until Abreu, Giambi, Matsui and Damon are gone and Jeter, Arod and Posada start showing their age.

Prison Mike
07-11-08, 03:20 PM

True- but Hughes is consistently in the low 90's, whereas Kennedy is lucky to hit 90 twice.

bigdan
07-11-08, 03:27 PM
I was making a similar point in my case for Santana. They need to leverage the young arms sooner rather than later because the heart of the team isn't getting any younger. If we think the team is having a hard time driving in runs now, wait until Abreu, Giambi, Matsui and Damon are gone and Jeter, Arod and Posada start showing their age.

We are on the same page, that is, the clock is ticking on this offense and the farm system offers no help. But I was against Santana because I didn't want to give such a big and long contract to a pitcher his age and I didn't want to trade Melky or Ajax (I felt Ajax would end up being the third man). I was all for capitalizing on Hughes' press clippings. Well Melky has been disappointing but he is still very young. The strategic move is to trade what we have been stockpiling for a few years now. Young pitching. Look we got Joba. He's the real deal. We go to FA market next year for someone prime time, hopefully CC and sign Petitte for another year. That's actually more than enough pitching with what's left after we send Hughes, Kennedy and others packing for a major bat.

CommerceComet
07-11-08, 04:10 PM
I was making a similar point in my case for Santana. They need to leverage the young arms sooner rather than later because the heart of the team isn't getting any younger.As a trading philosophy, I would generally trade prospects for a proven big league performer who is about to enter or is in his prime. The problem with the Yankees' philosophy in the 80s was that they would trade prospects for guys who were already in decline. Santana was a difficult call because I'm not sure that he wasn't showing some signs of slippage. I never formed an opinion on that proposed trade because I just wasn't sure about Santana or exactly what the trade package would entail.

False1
07-11-08, 04:57 PM
I was making a similar point in my case for Santana. They need to leverage the young arms sooner rather than later because the heart of the team isn't getting any younger. If we think the team is having a hard time driving in runs now, wait until Abreu, Giambi, Matsui and Damon are gone and Jeter, Arod and Posada start showing their age.It wasn't necessarily that they didn't want to "leverage the young arms" as much as they didn't want to do that AND pay Santana $15MM for the next 7 years - especially with some of the concerns about a possible down trend taking firmer hold in year 2 or 3 of that deal. I'm thinking if Santana was locked up in a reasonable contract for the next 3 or 4 years and Minnesota was dealing him, Hughes would be a Twin.

JL25and3
07-11-08, 05:00 PM
It wasn't necessarily that they didn't want to "leverage the young arms" as much as they didn't want to do that AND pay Santana $15MM for the next 7 years - especially with some of the concerns about a possible down trend taking firmer hold in year 2 or 3 of that deal. I'm thinking if Santana was locked up in a reasonable contract for the next 3 or 4 years and Minnesota was dealing him, Hughes would be a Twin.I don't know. They seem way too committed to the idea of trading absolutely no young players, period.

False1
07-11-08, 05:08 PM
I don't know. They seem way too committed to the idea of trading absolutely no young players, period.Oh, I agree we're probably over-valuing prospects, I was commenting specifically on the Santana situation.

Brick Tamland
07-11-08, 05:50 PM
You'll be holding your breath for a long time.

That's why I'm not holding my breath.

Brick Tamland
07-11-08, 06:02 PM
I'm not the most up on our system but coming into this year the general feeling I got from respected sources (Baseball Prospectus and Baseball America) and echoed by many posters on this and other Yankee sites was that - No the yankees really did not have any MLB ready bats for this year that most of the "impact bats" in our system would not be ready until 2009 - 2011 depending on the particular prospect. The gardner was the closest to MLB ready but really projected better as a 4th outfielder.

That said there was supposed to be a great deal of young pitching talent in the system that could help out greatly this year, that hasn't really been as good as most of us would have hoped. But the stockpiling of good young arms is there at every level in our system.

Oh and the farm system was a laughing stock when he took over, his hiring of Damon Oppenhiemer and greater involvment in the draft process has widely been credited with rebuilding a dismal farm system into one of the top-5 rated systems in MLB coming into this year if I remember right. All this despite rarely if ever picking higher than 25 each year in the draft. The Yanks don't have the luxury of drafting Jay Bruce, Ryan Braun, Evan Longoria and the likes becasue the Yanks don't lose 100 games very often.

That is a valid point, Cashman and Co. have done a pretty good job with the draft since assuming control in '05 with the picks they have been given. The excess of good, young pitching is there to ensure that when Cashman calls the Brewers for example, they don't laugh him off the line when he inquires about Gillespie. This strategy will pay dividends in the future.

It would be nice if it could pay off right now though...

bmxstreetrider86
07-11-08, 06:37 PM

considering that fact that he ia averaging ~92 MPH, he has probably thrown more than a few pitches at 94-95

NelsonMuntz
07-11-08, 07:00 PM
We are on the same page, that is, the clock is ticking on this offense and the farm system offers no help. But I was against Santana because I didn't want to give such a big and long contract to a pitcher his age and I didn't want to trade Melky or Ajax (I felt Ajax would end up being the third man). I was all for capitalizing on Hughes' press clippings. Well Melky has been disappointing but he is still very young. The strategic move is to trade what we have been stockpiling for a few years now. Young pitching. Look we got Joba. He's the real deal. We go to FA market next year for someone prime time, hopefully CC and sign Petitte for another year. That's actually more than enough pitching with what's left after we send Hughes, Kennedy and others packing for a major bat.
I'd trade Wang before I'd trade Hughes.

bigdan
07-11-08, 08:55 PM
I'd trade Wang before I'd trade Hughes.

You may have to, because I'm not sure Hughes is worth much at this point.

NelsonMuntz
07-11-08, 09:01 PM
You may have to, because I'm not sure Hughes is worth much at this point.
That's 50% of my rationale.

just-blaze
07-11-08, 09:33 PM

Define regularly....I remember seeing Moose regularly hit 95-96, but he sat 92-94.

Hughes hasnt done that but he has been very close to that.

just-blaze
07-11-08, 09:35 PM
I don't know. They seem way too committed to the idea of trading absolutely no young players, period.

No, they are committed to NOT overpaying for veterans in terms of prospects. They are willing to trade prospects.

bxbomber328
07-11-08, 09:53 PM
I just keep remembering this spring training, and the Hughes I saw was not the same Hughes in the season. I know its just spring training but I just saw a different Phil Hughes in terms of the quality of his pitches and not nibbling.

JL25and3
07-12-08, 07:47 AM
No, they are committed to NOT overpaying for veterans in terms of prospects. They are willing to trade prospects.They certainly haven't shown any signs of that. I see them overvaluing too many prospects.

CommerceComet
07-12-08, 12:36 PM
They certainly haven't shown any signs of that. I see them overvaluing too many prospects.I agree. There is a balance that needs to be obtained. Right now, it seems that the Yankees are too reluctant to trade prospects but it could be that no reasonable offer has yet been made. Given our need for a lefty out of the bullpen, another decent starter (which just about everyone needs), a decent RH bat, and an offensively productive CF (although the last two could be obtained possibly in one player), the Yankees are close to desperate. I'm sure other GMs are asking for the moon.

JL25and3
07-12-08, 01:17 PM
I agree. There is a balance that needs to be obtained. Right now, it seems that the Yankees are too reluctant to trade prospects but it could be that no reasonable offer has yet been made. Given our need for a lefty out of the bullpen, another decent starter (which just about everyone needs), a decent RH bat, and an offensively productive CF (although the last two could be obtained possibly in one player), the Yankees are close to desperate. I'm sure other GMs are asking for the moon.Given a little foresight and better scouting of their own prospects, it might not have gotten to this point. Unfortunately, some of the prospects who might have gotten a good return six months ago have dropped in value.

just-blaze
07-12-08, 09:10 PM
They certainly haven't shown any signs of that. I see them overvaluing too many prospects.

That is true to a degree.....its not too many prospects that they overvalue.

IMO, I think its a select few that they overvalue and I think the Yankees still have to deal with the Yankee tax, so that's why you don't see many deals going through.

ARoDfan4life
07-13-08, 12:04 AM

Did you just start a thread putting Justin Christian in the same category as Brett Gardner ? Justin Christian wasn't an MLB affiliate player he was undrafted picked up from the Indy League. Brett Gardner was an actual draft pick drafted in Rd.3 of 05' he was drafted to add versatility in the future, his speed, his eye at the plate and his range also a potential bat. Meanwhile I see you didn't state Joba Chamberlain who 2/3 of NY wanted traded, Hughes who at 21 contributed in the playoffs, Austin Jackson the CF in waiting, Mark Melancon the future SU/CL in waiting. Sometimes I wish poster would analyze a longterm view before they rush a judgement on a player, Derek Jeter in A ball was one of the worst fielding SS then he adjusted to be a big time player on the field, Bernie Williams struggled like hell at from age 20 - 25, sometimes some of you fans need to take a step back and let a prospect breath.

dougj1
07-13-08, 04:22 PM
Thanks for your sarcastic remarks. Yes, I am an uber scout. No, I do not need to see a player bat 100 times to decide if he is an ML player.....Christian and Gardner are only here because of injuries......Now, what other intelligent remarks do you have to make?

Brick Tamland
07-14-08, 04:51 PM
I read in the post that Montero looked dreadful at catcher in the Futures game. A couple scouts were quoted as saying that his arm was awful and his frame was too big for the position. Doesn't mean he can't move positions but It sucks hearing negative feedback about a guy who is so young and talented in the Yankee organization.

bmxstreetrider86
07-14-08, 06:02 PM
I read in the post that Montero looked dreadful at catcher in the Futures game. A couple scouts were quoted as saying that his arm was awful and his frame was too big for the position. Doesn't mean he can't move positions but It sucks hearing negative feedback about a guy who is so young and talented in the Yankee organization.

suprisingly, BA made it seem like scouts are impressed with his improved defense this season.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/media/podcasts/free/

i wouldnt rely on a couple of "anonymous scouts", BA trys to gauge scouts and mangers opinions on a player. theres no gaurentee he sticks at C, but theres a chance he can play there

the great news is that pretty much everyone loves the bat

Snatch Catch
07-14-08, 06:20 PM
Given a little foresight and better scouting of their own prospects, it might not have gotten to this point. Unfortunately, some of the prospects who might have gotten a good return six months ago have dropped in value.

And six months from now they may be MLB quality players.

JL25and3
07-14-08, 10:05 PM
And six months from now they may be MLB quality players.I have serious doubts as to whether Melky and Kennedy will ever have anything like the trade value they had last winter.

Snatch Catch
07-15-08, 03:46 PM
I have serious doubts as to whether Melky and Kennedy will ever have anything like the trade value they had last winter.

I have always had doubts about Melky, but I disagree on Kennedy.

NYYRules#1
07-16-08, 11:38 AM
I have serious doubts as to whether Melky and Kennedy will ever have anything like the trade value they had last winter.

I can't see Melky ever having nearly the trade value he did last winter. As for Kennedy, I think he could still be a solid #4 or #5 (which was his ceiling all along) - it's just a matter of whether his lack of confidence at the ML level is killing his performance up here, or whether he's legitimately an AAAA player. I wouldn't trade him yet unless we get a good offer for him.

ajra21
07-18-08, 08:08 AM

i said this the other day.

as for prospects in general, i don't get excited til the reach AA and then they have to do very well.

AROD800HRS
07-18-08, 02:53 PM
... Derek Jeter in A ball was one of the worst fielding SS...

And he still is.

bxbomber328
07-18-08, 05:08 PM
As I remember, Hughes was tearing it up in A and AA, but at the beginning of the 2007 season, right before we brought him up, he wasn't exactly mowing hitters down in AAA. I just want to see the Hughes that threw 94 MPH on consistent basis in AA.