PDA

View Full Version : Sexson cut by Mariners

jcarey
07-10-08, 01:54 PM
Interesting? Not to me, but some on this forum have wanted Sexson on the team. The story mentions that Bedard is on the dl as well, so it looks like he probably won't be traded.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3481747

YankeePride1967
07-10-08, 01:56 PM
And in response to the (I'm sure soon) question. No the Yanks should not go after him.

jcarey
07-10-08, 01:58 PM
And in response to the (I'm sure soon) question. No the Yanks should not go after him.

i agree. :o (that's why i didn't ask the question.) just passing along the info.

primetime714
07-10-08, 02:02 PM
Sure for a minor league contract why not. Right handed power off the bench couldn't hurt and his numbers against left handed pitchers are excellent.

2008 numbers against LHP:
.340 BA and a 1.045 OPS

YankeePride1967
07-10-08, 02:04 PM
i agree. :o (that's why i didn't ask the question.) just passing along the info.

I know, I worded it that way so it wouldn't look like I was responding directly to you.

JL25and3
07-10-08, 02:05 PM
Sure for a minor league contract why not. Right handed power off the bench couldn't hurt and his numbers against left handed pitchers are excellent.

2008 numbers against LHP:
.340 BA and a 1.045 OPS

2007 v. lefties: .238/.333/.419
2006 v. lefties: .204/.325/.438

Yankee Tripper
07-10-08, 02:06 PM
For a pro-rated league minimum? It's a no brainer, he could be the right handed bat off the bench we've lacked all season. It's not like we rake against lefties.

He's not a long term solution or anything and if he has an attitude you just cut him and no big loss.

MTYankee23
07-10-08, 02:06 PM
For the league minimum and considering the makeup of the team, yes, absolutely, and better still until Matsui is at full strength, a platoon of Sexon and Broussard or Miranda at DH wouldn't be terrible.

Brijd10
07-10-08, 02:08 PM
I think he is worth trying off the bench against lefties on a minor league deal.. Once Matsui returns and Posada begins to catch full time I would designate Moeller and try Sexson.

fellows
07-10-08, 02:12 PM
RH power off the bench, and late inning defensive replacement for Giambi. For low $ sure.

JavyVazquezIsSick
07-10-08, 02:29 PM
No thanks.

shadyridr
07-10-08, 02:30 PM
Yanks need to make this happen. Theyve been dying for RH power off the bench for a few years now.

webassign
07-10-08, 02:31 PM
Go after Bonds for the league minimum before Sexson...

southernNYYfan
07-10-08, 02:31 PM
Stay far away...

Bozidar
07-10-08, 02:37 PM
i agree. :o (that's why i didn't ask the question.) just passing along the info.then why did you post it in this forum?

Jasbro
07-10-08, 02:40 PM
Yanks need to make this happen. Theyve been dying for RH power off the bench for a few years now.

Ever since they turned away from Bernie.....

shadyridr
07-10-08, 02:51 PM
Game on the line, LH reliever is in the game, Yanks need a 2R HR to tie it up. Who would you rather bat? Gardner, Melky, Moeller, Molina, or Sexson?

Yankee Tripper
07-10-08, 02:54 PM
Go after Bonds for the league minimum before Sexson...
Why does this have to be an either or?

webassign
07-10-08, 02:54 PM
Game on the line, LH reliever is in the game, Yanks need a 2R HR to tie it up. Who would you rather bat? Gardner, Melky, Moeller, Molina, or Sexson?
Barry Bonds

apalradio
07-10-08, 02:56 PM
Game on the line, LH reliever is in the game, Yanks need a 2R HR to tie it up. Who would you rather bat? Gardner, Melky, Moeller, Molina, or Sexson?Hmmm...a pop up, a ground out, a fly out, a foul out, or a K...

hellonewman
07-10-08, 03:02 PM
2007 v. lefties: .238/.333/.419
2006 v. lefties: .204/.325/.438Still better than Betemit as a platoon 1B both offensively and defensively. The only reason I'm reluctant is we don't know Posada's medical situation, whether the Yankees are covering up a re-injury. If that's the case they may need to keep some games open at 1B for Posada, which means no role for Sexson.

27IsNext
07-10-08, 03:04 PM
Since he is hitting lefties well this year, I'd take a chance on him at a righty off the bench.

DaSh 1s
07-10-08, 03:05 PM
I really wouldn't mind Barry Bonds for league minimum.

bigjf
07-10-08, 04:30 PM
Sexson is at least a decent fielder, so to bring him to the roster in place of Moeller might make sense (provided they don't need a 3rd catcher), but in terms of a bat they would be better off with pretty much any other right handed hitter.

wang+cano=future
07-10-08, 04:54 PM
Say No To Sexson (which I am sure Cash will)

cyhughes22
07-10-08, 04:59 PM
Ehh I'm torn. On the one hand it's so obvious that you don't sign this guy, but on the other hand he's so cheap and maybe Long could fix him. I guess I wouldn't hate it if they gave it a try. It would be nice to have a right handed bat other than Alex who was a HR threat.

Bub
07-10-08, 05:12 PM
Ehh I'm torn. On the one hand it's so obvious that you don't sign this guy, but on the other hand he's so cheap and maybe Long could fix him. I guess I wouldn't hate it if they gave it a try. It would be nice to have a right handed bat other than Alex who was a HR threat. While I agree, I think I'd rather give the job back to Duncan. Neither deserves the job over the other.

If Bonds winds up on this team we'll be the laughing stock of baseball.

YanksFan1992
07-10-08, 05:20 PM
Absolutely not.

Sexson is by far the worst hitter in baseball, and would take a roster space up while contributing absolutely nothing. If we sign this guy I'll make my way across the country to protest it to Cashman, and I'm only slightly joking.

R.V.47
07-10-08, 05:38 PM
Say No To Sexson (which I am sure Cash will)

This is the same guy who said yes to Sidney Ponson.... twice. Therefore anything is possible.

cyhughes22
07-10-08, 05:54 PM
While I agree, I think I'd rather give the job back to Duncan. Neither deserves the job over the other.

If Bonds winds up on this team we'll be the laughing stock of baseball.

I think Duncan is out for a while with a pretty serious shoulder injury isn't he? And I agree with you about Bonds, I hate him with a passion and would probably be physically ill if he were to wear the pinstripes. I just think Sexson is a pretty low risk high reward kind of option if Long can work with him a bit. I definitely understand the rationale of not wanting him though.

mgpenguin
07-10-08, 07:10 PM
Why not pick him up? The Yankees have been without a RH power bat off the bench for years and now that one is available you want to pass him up? You're going to have a tough time finding a power bat altogether without giving up talent, much less be able to get it essentially for free, which is essentially the case with Sexson. So sign him... it can't hurt anything.

YanksFan1992
07-10-08, 07:29 PM
Why not pick him up? The Yankees have been without a RH power bat off the bench for years and now that one is available you want to pass him up? You're going to have a tough time finding a power bat altogether without giving up talent, much less be able to get it essentially for free, which is essentially the case with Sexson. So sign him... it can't hurt anything.

Unless you want your righthanded power-bat to hit a homer every 8 games, but strike out in seemingly every at-bat between them, then no, you really don't want Sexson.

To be honest, I would much (MUCH) rather have Bonds.

mgpenguin
07-10-08, 07:42 PM
Unless you want your righthanded power-bat to hit a homer every 8 games, but strike out in seemingly every at-bat between them, then no, you really don't want Sexson.

The choice isn't between Bonds and Sexson, it's between Sexson and nothing. I'd rather pick him up for virtually nothing and cut him if it doesn't work out than not try at all.

MTYankee23
07-10-08, 07:51 PM

Except that even in this brutal season he's having, he only strikes out about once every 6 PA's against left handed pitching, which is what you'd be picking him up for. He'd almost literally never have to face a right handed pitcher if you didn't want him to. His BB/K ratio vs. lefties is 9/13 this season.

YanksFan1992
07-10-08, 08:06 PM
The choice isn't between Bonds and Sexson, it's between Sexson and nothing. I'd rather pick him up for virtually nothing and cut him if it doesn't work out than not try at all.

Well if that's the case, I would rather give an opportunity to someone in the minors.

MTYankee23
07-10-08, 08:10 PM
Well if that's the case, I would rather give an opportunity to someone in the minors.

If Matsui is going to be out into August, I'd rather platoon Sexson and Broussard.

CommerceComet
07-10-08, 08:20 PM
Well if that's the case, I would rather give an opportunity to someone in the minors.As Susan Waldman just mentioned on the radio broadcast, the Yankees just don't have any big bats in the high minors. For a minor league contract, the Yankees should give Sexson a look. He really won't be blocking anyone. If Sexson continues to be awful and yet the minor leaguers can't beat him out, the minor leaguers wouldn't be much help anyway.

Unless the scouts know something about Sexson, he just might be worth the next-to-nothing cost.

hellonewman
07-10-08, 09:02 PM
Again, he's a better antidote to lefties coming off the bench than either Betemit or Christian or Moeller. The only thing complicating the stew is the Posada situation, but even then, as starving as this team is for offensive power, he may well be worth bringing in, even if only as a 3-week stopgap to buy Cashman time until the deadline to find something better.

apalradio
07-10-08, 09:50 PM
As Susan Waldman just mentioned on the radio broadcast, the Yankees just don't have any big bats in the high minors. For a minor league contract, the Yankees should give Sexson a look. He really won't be blocking anyone. If Sexson continues to be awful and yet the minor leaguers can't beat him out, the minor leaguers wouldn't be much help anyway.

Unless the scouts know something about Sexson, he just might be worth the next-to-nothing cost.The more I read this post the more I want Sexson on this team. After all, he's an experienced major league hitter with serious power. He won't be playing every day, so expectations will be tempered with his role simply as a strong right handed bat off the bench. Late in the game, he's a threat the Yanks do not currently have. He could make a real difference in the second half, and help boost our offense enough to make the postseason. Having said all that, I should be shot.

jimmykey2
07-10-08, 09:59 PM
The more I read this post the more I want Sexson on this team. After all, he's an experienced major league hitter with serious power. He won't be playing every day, so expectations will be tempered with his role simply as a strong right handed bat off the bench. Late in the game, he's a threat the Yanks do not currently have. He could make a real difference in the second half, and help boost our offense enough to make the postseason. Having said all that, I should be shot.

No... you just have to say "against LHP" every other three words, even if it makes a sentence incoherent.

Bringing in Sexson to hit against lefties is 100% acceptable to me.

CT-Yankee
07-10-08, 10:24 PM
Please! No to Sexson. Big strikeout in a big spot. Rally killer! I will add though he may be a slighty better option than what's on the bench now. Minor league contract, maybe ,but I wouldn't waste too much on him.

diehardyankeefan
07-10-08, 10:55 PM
Why not sign Sexson? Yeah this guy isn't that good, but he has more power than Molina, Gardner, Christian, and Gonzalez combined.

suha
07-10-08, 11:31 PM
This is the same guy who said yes to Sidney Ponson.... twice. Therefore anything is possible.

And, oddly, it seems to be working out this time.

I'd give Sexson a shot, but ONLY as a role player against lefties.

And, as someone else said, Bonds would still be better. (To the laughingstock comment: I'd agree, but if we sign Bonds at league minimum and he donates it all to charity, I think that would mitigate.)

Bleacher_Creature
07-11-08, 09:35 AM
"And they haven't dismissed signing Richie Sexson who was released by the Mariners yesterday."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07112008/sports/yankees/no_all_star_game_for_giambi_119358.htm

27IsNext
07-11-08, 12:52 PM
"And they haven't dismissed signing Richie Sexson who was released by the Mariners yesterday."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07112008/sports/yankees/no_all_star_game_for_giambi_119358.htm

They should. The Yankees have more pitchers than they need (or use), and he's doing great vs. lefties this season.

mgpenguin
07-11-08, 01:19 PM
Like I said, you have nothing to lose by trying him for a little while, at least until we can trade for someone. Plus, I'm reading elsewhere that "he's the kind of player the Yanks need to avoid". Really? It's not like we would be signing him to a 20-year deal, just the league min for the rest of the year.

MassNYYfan
07-11-08, 02:20 PM
He can platoon with Broussard for a bit.

hellonewman
07-11-08, 03:47 PM
Please! No to Sexson. Big strikeout in a big spot. Rally killer! I will add though he may be a slighty better option than what's on the bench now. Minor league contract, maybe ,but I wouldn't waste too much on him.For or against? :confused:

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced they should bring him in. At worst, he's a 3-week no-cost stopgap against lefties (and ONLY lefties, Mr. Girardi) while Cashman works the phones in pursuit of a July 31 real solution. Again, which of these guys is better against lefties than Sexson?

Justin Christian
Chad Moeller
Wilson Betemit

Answer: None of the above. In fact, if Sexson is still sitting by his phone in Seattle on Sunday while Brian Tallet throws 7 innings of 1-run or shutout ball against the Yankees (and by the way, you KNOW that's coming), I'm going to be pissed.

Prison Mike
07-11-08, 03:50 PM
He'd be more useful than Chad Moeller. I'm all for it.

webassign
07-11-08, 03:54 PM
He better be in the lineup on Sunday against Tallet like hellonewman said.

False1
07-11-08, 05:04 PM
He better be in the lineup on Sunday against Tallet like hellonewman said.Completely agree. If he's willing to take a bench role for major league minimum, sign him up. So we send Traber or Christian down for a few weeks to see if Sexson can hit lefties off the bench. Really no downside there. And if Sexson doesn't catch on, he's DFA bait. Chance to make a very low risk short term move to fill a very big hole on our major league roster. Imagine having a 1.000 OPS guy on the bench to come in against LHP??? That's what he's put up in 70 plate appearances this year.

R.V.47
07-12-08, 09:15 AM
http://www.nypost.com/seven/07122008/sports/yankees/cashman_eyes_sexson_119510.htm

Cashman: We are interested in Sexson.

False1
07-12-08, 03:52 PM
http://www.nypost.com/seven/07122008/sports/yankees/cashman_eyes_sexson_119510.htm

Cashman: We are interested in Sexson.Go get him Cash!!! To me, if Sexson will take a bench role for league minimum this is a total no brainer. As a PH against LHP he still has value. And even against RHP, I'll take the massive K rate with the occassional HR mixed in if he's a PH option for a Molina or Moeller type against RHP.

Get it done, Cash.

CyYoung4Vazquez
07-12-08, 04:14 PM
So we are interested in Sexson and not Bonds? That's pretty ridiculous.

apalradio
07-12-08, 05:55 PM
So we are interested in Sexson and not Bonds? That's pretty ridiculous.All part of the team's current youth movement.

Mr. Mxylsplk
07-12-08, 06:40 PM
All part of the team's current youth movement.
:lol:mmm

BobbyMeacham's glove
07-12-08, 06:45 PM
The only way the Yankees pursue him is if they see something in his past swing that he isn't doing now and they are confident they could "fix it". I have no idea if Seattle told him what to fix and if Sexson refused to, but if that was the case you would think he'd be open to suggestions after being cut (humiliating no matter how much $$$ you make). It doesn't make sense that his skills would just diminish that quickly, it would lead you to believe that something about his swing "changed" in a short time period. Th only issue is that do you waste 2 weeks trying to "right him" on your roster? Or could you even keep him in the minors for a few weeks to "tweak" his swing and see if it works, without giving up free outs in the big leagues ???

primetime714
07-12-08, 07:01 PM
I love these types of signings. There is relatively no risk and a decent possible reward.

Sign him to a minor-league deal let him get some work in down there and get his confidence up and show that he still has something. Then call him up to the majors have him work extensively with Kevin Long and play exclusively against left handed pitchers and see what you have. If he isn't helping he can go the way of Morgan Ensberg and get DFA'd.

Although as many others have mentioned I wouldn't let this get in the way of possibly signing Bonds who could have a much bigger impact and definitely should be a guy we sign if Matsui needs surgery.

BobbyMeacham's glove
07-12-08, 09:19 PM
Although as many others have mentioned I wouldn't let this get in the way of possibly signing Bonds who could have a much bigger impact and definitely should be a guy we sign if Matsui needs surgery. The only reason to bring in Bonds is if the A-Rod circus becomes 2 rings and you need a 3rd ring.

ARoDfan4life
07-13-08, 12:34 AM
minor league deal if he sucks DFA or waive him, If anything this would be the end of Wilson Betemit's Yankee career, sad he hits the ball hard but too many times at people when he doesn't SO.

yankeesAZ
07-13-08, 12:57 AM
Oh no. He couldn't handle the boos in Seattle. Yes they actually boo someone else besides A-Rod once in a while. How in the hell will he handle NY?

False1
07-13-08, 02:36 AM
Oh no. He couldn't handle the boos in Seattle. Yes they actually boo someone else besides A-Rod once in a while. How in the hell will he handle NY?By getting a few at bats a week and being put in a position where he can actually produce (PH against LHP).

False1
07-13-08, 02:38 AM
I love these types of signings. There is relatively no risk and a decent possible reward.

Sign him to a minor-league deal let him get some work in down there and get his confidence up and show that he still has something. Then call him up to the majors have him work extensively with Kevin Long and play exclusively against left handed pitchers and see what you have. If he isn't helping he can go the way of Morgan Ensberg and get DFA'd.

Although as many others have mentioned I wouldn't let this get in the way of possibly signing Bonds who could have a much bigger impact and definitely should be a guy we sign if Matsui needs surgery.Totally agree. Can I ask a question though? Why is everyone so absolutely sold on Kevin Long? I know there's comments made about A-Rod's season last year, and players support him... but shouldn't he also be helping Cabrera/Cano/Abreu/etc? Why does everyone assume that Long can make everyone a hitter?

R.V.47
07-13-08, 07:53 AM
This guy may be the worst hitter in all of baseball and theres no way of knowing he would be good in a bench role since he has been a starter basically his whole career and sometimes players dont make that adjustment to well. Since it will cost nothing I wouldnt be devistated if they brought him in but Im not gonna have big expectations.

TheBamTino24
07-13-08, 09:37 AM
Sexton's splits vs. LHP this year are impressive: .344/.423/.623. But that's just 61 AB.

Is it flukey?

Same split:
2007: .238/.333/.419
2006: .204/.325/.438

nnysiny
07-13-08, 10:22 AM
Oh no. He couldn't handle the boos in Seattle. Yes they actually boo someone else besides A-Rod once in a while. How in the hell will he handle NY?
Sexson had a 4yr./$50 mil. contract to live up to in Seattle. theres no pressure/expectations this time around

False1
07-13-08, 12:17 PM
Sexton's splits vs. LHP this year are impressive: .344/.423/.623. But that's just 61 AB.

Is it flukey?

Same split:
2006: .204/.325/.438It could be, but I'd be willing to invest majoy league minimum to find out, especially since we wouldn't have to ship out anyone to SWB that isn't either redundant or subpar at what they do.

Here are some '08 splits:

Cabrera against LHP - .575 OPS
Molina against LHP - .532 OPS
Moeller against LHP - .625 OPS
Betemit against LHP - .669 OPSI'd rather have Sexson up there hitting an occassional bomb against a LHP in a big spot late in the game than these guys. And if he proves he can't do that after signing, nothing lost. See ya.

Prison Mike
07-13-08, 01:14 PM

Although as many others have mentioned I wouldn't let this get in the way of possibly signing Bonds who could have a much bigger impact and definitely should be a guy we sign if Matsui needs surgery..

Doubtful that he'd sign a minor league deal. Someone will give him a major league deal.

bigjf
07-13-08, 01:49 PM

The big thing about Bonds, aside from the media circus and all, is that we don't know what kind of shape he is in right now. I doubt we could sign Bonds tomorrow and have him produce anything for the big club in a week from now...It would take him some time to get his timing down and be ready. It might still be worth doing if he'd really sign for the minimum, but he probably wouldn't contribute anything until late August.

Sexson, at least, is in baseball shape (though his numbers wouldn't exactly show it), and he can get put right on the big club. So we can see right away whether he would pay off this year against those lefty pitchers that have caused us so many fits already this year. If he doesn't deliver, the Yanks just release him and no major harm done. It's worth doing. Posada can still squat behind the plate, and Moeller didn't work any magic for Rasner yesterday.

False1
07-13-08, 02:48 PM
Seeing Cabrera in the on deck circle prior to BJ Ryan inducing the game ending GIDP from Cano made me want to :barf: We need a RH pinch hitter with some pop, and we need Cash to plug that hole prior to the end of the ASB - Sexson or otherwise.

jimmykey2
07-13-08, 02:53 PM

How many DHs can one team have?

That's unless you're interested in seeing a Matsui, Damon, and Abreu outfield. (Bonds could play LF occasionally to make it the worst OF of all-time.)

R.V.47
07-13-08, 03:09 PM
How many DHs can one team have?

That's unless you're interested in seeing a Matsui, Damon, and Abreu outfield. (Bonds could play LF occasionally to make it the worst OF of all-time.)

As much as I hate the idea of Sexson or Bonds on this team it does have to be said that Sexson is not a DH and would actually probably be an upgrade defensively over Giambi at 1B as good as Jason has been there this year.

jimmykey2
07-13-08, 03:42 PM
As much as I hate the idea of Sexson or Bonds on this team it does have to be said that Sexson is not a DH and would actually probably be an upgrade defensively over Giambi at 1B as good as Jason has been there this year.

The comment was meant solely in reference to Bonds.

NelsonMuntz
07-13-08, 07:32 PM

Is it flukey?

Same split:
2006: .204/.325/.438
That's all I need to see. Pass.

just-blaze
07-13-08, 09:39 PM
The big thing about Bonds, aside from the media circus and all, is that we don't know what kind of shape he is in right now. I doubt we could sign Bonds tomorrow and have him produce anything for the big club in a week from now...It would take him some time to get his timing down and be ready. It might still be worth doing if he'd really sign for the minimum, but he probably wouldn't contribute anything until late August.

Sexson, at least, is in baseball shape (though his numbers wouldn't exactly show it), and he can get put right on the big club. So we can see right away whether he would pay off this year against those lefty pitchers that have caused us so many fits already this year. If he doesn't deliver, the Yanks just release him and no major harm done. It's worth doing. Posada can still squat behind the plate, and Moeller didn't work any magic for Rasner yesterday.

This is such a silly myth.....its almost like people think the man has been sitting on his couch swilling beer and eating cheetos non stop.....

His agent already said it would take him 7-10 days to be ready.

R.V.47
07-13-08, 09:44 PM
This is such a silly myth.....its almost like people think the man has been sitting on his couch swilling beer and eating cheetos non stop.....

He looks like hes eaten a few bags of Cheetos.

Mr. Mxylsplk
07-13-08, 09:45 PM

Just because his agent said so, does that make it realistic? Most players aren't necessarily sitting around swilling beer and eating cheetos all winter, yet the exhibition season is still a lot longer than a week and a half. Presumably teams think all that live practice, which obviously Bonds hasn't been doing during his layoff, is pretty important for being able to perform at a major league level.

just-blaze
07-13-08, 09:52 PM
Just because his agent said so, does that make it realistic? Most players aren't necessarily sitting around swilling beer and eating cheetos all winter, yet the exhibition season is still a lot longer than a week and a half. Presumably teams think all that live practice, which obviously Bonds hasn't been doing during his layoff, is pretty important for being able to perform at a major league level.

The guy who recently was making 20 million a year and all of a sudden is offering his services for the league minimum is doing this while not being in good or great shape?

What if it takes 2 weeks, maybe 3? That's still early August....and that's worst case scenario.

A hitter of Barry's caliber and skill set isnt going to have to need a month of live batting practice against AAA pitchers.

Mr. Mxylsplk
07-13-08, 10:00 PM
The guy who recently was making 20 million a year and all of a sudden is offering his services for the league minimum is doing this while not being in good or great shape?
I have no idea what shape he's in, but it's not really his level of fitness I'm talking about.

What if it takes 2 weeks, maybe 3? That's still early August....and that's worst case scenario. A hitter of Barry's caliber and skill set isnt going to have to need a month of live batting practice against AAA pitchers.
Maybe. The guy's 42 years old and hasn't faced a real pitch in 10 months. I think it's more than a little unrealistic to accept his agent's word that he'd major league ready that quickly.

ThePinStripes
07-13-08, 10:22 PM
At this point, can either of them really hurt?
On one hand- you ask the exact opposite question "how can they help?"

If damon and matsui are back and healthy, not much. Posada in DH spot, and we have 3 acceptable bats in the OF (bobby, Matsui, Damon).
But if Posada can catch, opening the DH spot... I bet it won't be worse than Gardner, Melky or Betemit in the lineup (offensively)

just-blaze
07-13-08, 10:27 PM
At this point, can either of them really hurt?
On one hand- you ask the exact opposite question "how can they help?"

If damon and matsui are back and healthy, not much. Posada in DH spot, and we have 3 acceptable bats in the OF (bobby, Matsui, Damon).
But if Posada can catch, opening the DH spot... I bet it won't be worse than Gardner, Melky or Betemit in the lineup (offensively)

Did you just come over to the Dark Side? :eek:

Exactly my thoughts.

ThePinStripes
07-14-08, 12:23 AM
I'd rather have Melky than Gardner out there at the plate... but don't confuse "rather" with "want." I'd rather have a broken arm than a broken skull. I don't want either.

whiffleball
07-14-08, 07:49 AM
I hope they don't sign him just so I don't have to hear John Sterling say
"It is high, it is far, It's Gone! Oh, that's Sexy!"

or some silly call like that.

bigjf
07-14-08, 09:14 AM

Have you ever played baseball? I have, and I know that if I went the amount of time he's gone without playing any games, it would take me 7-10 days before I could make solid contact IN A BATTING CAGE!

Of course his agent is going to say that. He's desperate to get him a contract somewhere because this is embarrassing to the both of them.

I'm sure he's kept himself in shape, but it would still take a while before he could do well against Major League pitchers. Guaranteed you'd see a lot of weak pop-outs in foul territory, ala Gary Sheffield when he came back from his wrist injury, before Bonds finally gets back in the groove. Trying to hit Josh Beckett is a lot different than taking practice cuts off Uncle Willie. Not to mention, this isn't some college kid, this is an old man with a bad wheel. That's why I not only wonder what kind of playing shape he is in, but I'd be especially concerned that he's not in mid-season form. He'd need at least 3 weeks going through the minor league levels before he could be considered.

All that said, I'd probably still do it if he really will sign for the minimum, but I don't see the Yanks doing it.

shadyridr
07-14-08, 09:24 AM
Have you ever played baseball? I have, and I know that if I went the amount of time he's gone without playing any games, it would take me 7-10 days before I could make solid contact IN A BATTING CAGE!

Of course his agent is going to say that. He's desperate to get him a contract somewhere because this is embarrassing to the both of them.

I'm sure he's kept himself in shape, but it would still take a while before he could do well against Major League pitchers. Guaranteed you'd see a lot of weak pop-outs in foul territory, ala Gary Sheffield when he came back from his wrist injury, before Bonds finally gets back in the groove. Trying to hit Josh Beckett is a lot different than taking practice cuts off Uncle Willie. Not to mention, this isn't some college kid, this is an old man with a bad wheel. That's why I not only wonder what kind of playing shape he is in, but I'd be especially concerned that he's not in mid-season form. He'd need at least 3 weeks going through the minor league levels before he could be considered.

All that said, I'd probably still do it if he really will sign for the minimum, but I don't see the Yanks doing it.

LMAO at you comparing yourself to Barry Bonds

bigjf
07-14-08, 09:31 AM
LMAO at you comparing yourself to Barry Bonds

Well, I think I've got him in the speed department. He has some more power than me, but we'll both take our share of walks (I'm really short so I have no strikezone). I also like Cheetos. :P

ksison
07-14-08, 09:35 AM

U need to be signed then