PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Francoeur sent down...possible trade candidate?

TheDynasty26
07-05-08, 12:02 PM
Power hitting young outfielder, sent down because hes hitting .230something. I think hes a talented player, maybe we could buy low?

What do the braves need? Kennedy and Tabata? Kennedy and Melky? Im not sure if either of those get it done...would you give up more?

ppa79
07-05-08, 12:04 PM
How does a guy hitting .230 help our team? Why don't we ask them to throw in Chipper and Tex too.

NelsonMuntz
07-05-08, 12:12 PM
Francoeur is exactly the type of player this offense does NOT need. A free swinger with no patience who strikes out a ton. Career .313 OBP. Pass.

ppa79
07-05-08, 12:14 PM
Francoeur is exactly the type of player this offense does NOT need. A free swinger with no patience who strikes out a ton. Career .313 OBP. Pass.

Watching this guy and Cano swinging at everything thrown at them would drive me insane.

hockeypuck2008
07-05-08, 01:03 PM
Power hitting young outfielder, sent down because hes hitting .230something. I think hes a talented player, maybe we could buy low?

What do the braves need? Kennedy and Tabata? Kennedy and Melky? Im not sure if either of those get it done...would you give up more?

If the Yankees where winning you would not even suggest such a thing. But the fact that you are looking to trade for a young talented yet struggling outfielder makes me think you hacve already given up on this team.

NYYRules#1
07-05-08, 02:02 PM
Kennedy and Tabata both have far better value to this team in the long term than Francoeur could provide both in the short term and long term.

I don't want another free-swinging, extremely low OBP guy on this team. He's another Melky.

If you're going to have a free-swinger, at least have a guy like Cano, who has a ton of talent and can (usually - most of this season has been an exception) get away with not having patience since he can hit well. Luckily, it seems the old Cano is coming back - I'd love to see him develop patience, but at least the guy can hit extremely well even though he's a complete free swinger. Francoeur, on the other hand, cannot.

R.V.47
07-05-08, 02:08 PM
Kennedy and Tabata both have far better value to this team in the long term than Francoeur could provide both in the short term and long term.

I don't want another free-swinging, extremely low OBP guy on this team. He's another Melky.

If you're going to have a free-swinger, at least have a guy like Cano, who has a ton of talent and can (usually - most of this season has been an exception) get away with not having patience since he can hit well. Luckily, it seems the old Cano is coming back - I'd love to see him develop patience, but at least the guy can hit extremely well even though he's a complete free swinger. Francoeur, on the other hand, cannot.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=6345

I think he has a lot more power than Melky and Cano and he hit 293 in 06 and the fact that hes a righty is definitly a plus for us but the OBP is terrible. I would just hope he isnt another Morgan Ensberg.

NelsonMuntz
07-05-08, 02:08 PM
If the Yankees where winning you would not even suggest such a thing. But the fact that you are looking to trade for a young talented yet struggling outfielder makes me think you hacve already given up on this team.
That's a huge assumption on your part, and an unfair one at that. I didn't get that he was "giving up on this team" at all after reading his post. Given Damon and Matsui's injuries, Melky's struggles, and Abreu's disappearing OBP, it is certainly not unreasonable to suggest potential outfielder acquisitions. Francoeur just isn't a guy I would want to target.

goin for 27
07-05-08, 02:14 PM

Yes. God forbid that the poster is simply trying to see the NY Yankees improve, clearly he/she has given up. Please....

CommerceComet
07-05-08, 02:44 PM

What do the braves need? Kennedy and Tabata? Kennedy and Melky? Im not sure if either of those get it done...would you give up more?These are the type of situations that Cashman should be looking for. It never hurts to make inquiries about players. I would guess that the Braves would want too much for Francoeur but you never know until you ask.

For all we know, Yankee scouts could be convinced that a couple of mechanical adjustments and/or a change of scenery is all that is needed to get Francoeur back on track. Wouldn't be the first time something like this happened. As long as you don't pay too much initially, even if his career proceeds like Shane Spencer's, it not going to really hurt the Yankees.

NelsonMuntz
07-05-08, 02:46 PM
These are the type of situations that Cashman should be looking for. It never hurts to make inquiries about players. I would guess that the Braves would want too much for Francoeur but you never know until you ask.

For all we know, Yankee scouts could be convinced that a couple of mechanical adjustments and/or a change of scenery is all that is needed to get Francoeur back on track. Wouldn't be the first time something like this happened. As long as you don't pay too much initially, even if his career proceeds like Shane Spencer's, it not going to really hurt the Yankees.
The guy is an out machine. If we gave up anything of value for him Cashman should be fired.

TheDynasty26
07-05-08, 04:23 PM
I haven't given up...but i do think that we have a better shot next year than we do this year, especially with the injuries we have and the contracts were getting rid of.

I did not realize his OBP was that low, that is dissapointing, ive really only seen his power, which you must admit, is impressive.
We really dont have any other right handed power, and im not convinced Tabatas cealing is any higher than Francouers. He hasnt shown much patience at the plate either, and hes got a tude, and he may be injury prone.

but yeah, i mean i was asking a question, so i thanks for letting me know that hes worse at the plate than i thought. I just know hes young and can hit it far. I also dont really see what our outfield is shaping up like next year, Damon, melky, gardner? And if you are gonna tell me you want Bobby out there Puh-lease. Ill take someone who hits .220 but has an ounce of winning attitude in his system, unlike Bobby.

ArodMVP217
07-06-08, 03:58 PM
Jeff does have a good arm, he could be the poor man's jermaine dye for us... and him and Teixeira are pretty tight, says my cuz

YanksFan1992
07-06-08, 04:24 PM
I don't think the Braves are considering trading him.

I believe they sent him down so he could work on his hitting, not because they didn't want him anymore.

bigjf
07-06-08, 04:25 PM

Wow, if I ran the Braves and you ran the Yanks, I'd take you to dinner. Kennedy and then some for Francoeur? What a rip off!

The only way I'd take Francoeur is if the Braves take Igawa and his contract.

ArodMVP217
07-06-08, 04:45 PM
I don't think the Braves are considering trading him.

I believe they sent him down so he could work on his hitting, not because they didn't want him anymore.

That is probably 100% correct. he is worthy of being a building block to a franchise

The FUTURE
07-06-08, 05:50 PM
Francoeur ain't going anywhere...the braves sent him down because he has lost confidence in his swing and needs to work on his approach...they are not looking to deal him away...esp. when his value is at its lowest right now.

JL25and3
07-07-08, 02:51 PM
That is probably 100% correct. he is worthy of being a building block to a franchiseNo way Francoeur is a franchise player.

philleotardo
07-07-08, 02:52 PM
He just got called back up