PDA

View Full Version : The Official I'm a die hard fan but something needs to change thread

joesalto
07-01-08, 10:05 PM
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. "
-Benjamin Franklin

With Tampa and Boston not losing ground, we seriously need to try something different. We can't continue to waste decent starts.

Can we seriously do something to our lineup that is able to be done that can get some consistency to the offense?

southernNYYfan
07-01-08, 10:06 PM
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. "
-Benjamin Franklin

With Tampa and Boston not losing ground, we seriously need to try something different. We can't continue to waste decent starts.

Can we seriously do something to our lineup that is able to be done that can get some consistency to the offense?

http://kermittheblog.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/hit_bonds.jpg

Toaderly
07-01-08, 10:08 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/albert_chen/10/05/sabathia.survives/p1.sabathia.jpg

Masta Z
07-01-08, 10:08 PM
we honestly need the bloodrush he will bring.

joesalto
07-01-08, 10:09 PM
http://kermittheblog.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/hit_bonds.jpg

I like the idea except it seems that all the owners are keeping him out of the game.

Also, Matsui most likely will have to DH for the rest of the year, which means if bonds is in the lineup, Giambi gets limited time at DH and might break down

Masta Z
throw bonds in OF

NZ NYY Fan
the only things I'm holding on to - is that the pitching is decent. Well it always seems to give one run more the opposite pitching, but that is clearly the offences fault. We should be able to score off the Rangers pitching.
Cano is hitting somewhat now as well.

Geez, the rangers were good at fouling off with 2 strikes

-tz
07-01-08, 10:10 PM
-Benjamin Franklin

Can we seriously do something to our lineup that is able to be done that can get some consistency to the offense?You might try putting these guys in every game, as long as they're healthy:

Damon
Jeter
Abreu
A-Rod
Giambi
Matsui
Posada
Cano

That's eight pretty good hitters (and yes, by now, I include Cano in the ranks of "pretty good hitters"). If one of them goes on the DL (Matsui), you don't compensate for it by taking one, two, or three of the others out.

joesalto
07-01-08, 10:11 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/albert_chen/10/05/sabathia.survives/p1.sabathia.jpg

So if CC holds the other team to 2 runs, how do we win if we can't score?

CallOfTheCrow
07-01-08, 10:11 PM
You don't have to be a diehard fan to think there needs to be a change.

joesalto
07-01-08, 10:12 PM
You don't have to be a diehard fan to think there needs to be a change.

trying to keep this thread from going down the "it's only July..it's early" road

The Q Bomb
07-01-08, 10:14 PM
Right now, I would put Lucifer on this team if he could hit.

Retire21
07-01-08, 10:14 PM
throw bonds in OF

That, my friend, is almost as crazy as not bunting Melky in the 9th. Almost. Yankee Stadium has quite possibly the largest LF in baseball- there is no way that idea succeeds.

Damon(MVP)
07-01-08, 10:16 PM
Well at least we got Ponson, so far he has given up zero runs, if he has another outing like the one he had last friday all we will need is one run.

The Q Bomb
07-01-08, 10:17 PM
Well at least we got Ponson, so far he has given up zero runs, if he has another outing like the one he had last friday all we will need is one run. What makes you think we can get one run? We've already used up our allotment for the week!

MunsonNY15
07-01-08, 10:17 PM
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." -Benjamin Franklin

Not to quibble, but wasn't Albert Einstein the one who said that?

Now as for the meat of your post - No. Barry. Bonds. Ever. Ever. Especially in LF.

I'd like to see the opening day line up with Gardner starting in place of Melky. Of course, that can't happen until Matsui comes back.

Heidi

Yanks4eva1
07-01-08, 10:19 PM
You might try putting these guys in every game, as long as they're healthy:

Damon
Jeter
Abreu
A-Rod
Giambi
Matsui
Posada
Cano

That's eight pretty good hitters (and yes, by now, I include Cano in the ranks of "pretty good hitters"). If one of them goes on the DL (Matsui), you don't compensate for it by taking one, two, or three of the others out.

AMEN. TZ for Yankees manager.

joesalto
07-01-08, 10:21 PM
Not to quibble, but wasn't Albert Einstein the one who said that?

Now as for the meat of your post - No. Barry. Bonds. Ever. Ever. Especially in LF.

I'd like to see the opening day line up with Gardner starting in place of Melky. Of course, that can't happen until Matsui comes back.

Heidi

I believe it is an old Chinese proverb, but Franklin and Einstein used it.

The Q Bomb
07-01-08, 10:27 PM
The Yankees are a poorly constructed team - and have been for years. They have several players who should be at the same position - Posada, Giambi - 1B; Posada, Giambi, Matsui - DH. The "speed demon" that they just now brought up, unfortunately plays the outfield, where we already have too many guys - too bad Gardiner isn't an infielder. We have three catchers, but really only two, because Posada can't catch any more. All of this is a problem and we haven't even addressed the age issue yet.

Let's face it - The Yankees are really in trouble and there is not much that can remedy it this year or next. I'm not sure Sabathia is the answer - his size scares me and I don't know how good he is in big games like the playoffs (not that we're guaranteed to make those any more even if we got him). We have no up and coming shortstop; first baseman; or catcher; positions we will at least need to supplement in the next couple of seasons.

I actually doubt that The Yankees will make the playoffs this year - in this highly touted "last year of Yankee Stadium". THAT'S pitiful!

MunsonNY15
07-01-08, 10:30 PM
We have no up and coming shortstop; first baseman; or catcher; positions we will at least need to supplement in the next couple of seasons.

Hello 1965???

Heidi

joesalto
07-01-08, 10:31 PM
You might try putting these guys in every game, as long as they're healthy:

Damon
Jeter
Abreu
A-Rod
Giambi
Matsui
Posada
Cano

Everything I have been hearing about Matsui is that he will need to DH the rest of the year. I would try...

Damon
Jeter
Abreu
Arod
Giambi
Posada
Cano
Matsui
Gardner

Brick Tamland
07-01-08, 10:35 PM
I am a huge Yankee fan and I'll continue to watch them no matter what their record, but at least call a spade a spade. Is this team truly constructed to make a WS run? It sure doesn't look like it. I know they are still a very competitive team and can knock the cover off the ball when they are on, but I don't believe in them, and that's my main issue. I feel like I'm being dupped into thinking they are a serious contender. This isn't the NL West or the AL Central for that matter. You need to win 92+ games to earn a playoff spot in the East these days with the Rays playing the way they are.

The offense is so inconsistent that it shouldn't even surprise fans when they fall flat in the face of boarderline bad to mediocre pitching. I don't know what else to say, I am so disappointed and pissed right now with this team.

-tz
07-01-08, 10:37 PM
-Benjamin FranklinFrom The Quote Verifier: Who Said What, Where, and When, by Ralph Keyes (Macmillan, 2006):

http://users.erols.com/kcoblenz/InsanityDef.GIF

joesalto
07-01-08, 10:44 PM
I am a huge Yankee fan and I'll continue to watch them no matter what their record, but at least call a spade a spade. Is this team truly constructed to make a WS run? It sure doesn't look like it. I know they are still a very competitive team and can knock the cover off the ball when they are on, but I don't believe in them, and that's my main issue. I feel like I'm being dupped into thinking they are a serious contender. This isn't the NL West or the AL Central for that matter. You need to win 92+ games to earn a playoff spot in the East these days with the Rays playing the way they are.

The offense is so inconsistent that it shouldn't even surprise fans when they fall flat in the face of boarderline bad to mediocre pitching. I don't know what else to say, I am so disappointed and pissed right now with this team.

we do have to face reality.

Can we all agree that we need to at least win 95 games for the wild card?
judging on the past 4 years
2004 - Boston, 98 wins for WC
2005 - Boston, 95 wins for WC
2006 - Detroit, 95 wins for WC
2007 - Yanks, 94 games for WC

with a 44-39 record after 83 games, we need to go 51-30 to finish with 95 wins.
that is a .630 winning pct over the final 83 games. For the first 80 or so games, no team in MLB is playing to that level.......

JOBA RULES
07-01-08, 10:51 PM
it's making me lose sleep to watch this team...something has got to change fast or else I will not have a very happy summer

BroadwayBomber55
07-01-08, 10:55 PM

I'm not giving up on this season either, but joesalto said it best, we need to face reality.

The Yankees need to EARN their playoff spot on the field, the hard way. I don't care if they run, walk, or crawl to the playoffs.

It's going to make the Yankees win every game against the Red Sox and Rays to earn that playoff spot.

I'm also tired for this 'World Series or bust' crap. This is not like me in the Casey Stengel years and waking up and saying 'the Yankees are going to win the AL pennant and the World Series.'

Brick Tamland
07-01-08, 11:02 PM
I'm not giving up on this season either, but joesalto said it best, we need to face reality.

The Yankees need to EARN their playoff spot on the field, the hard way. I don't care if they run, walk, or crawl to the playoffs.

It's going to make the Yankees win every game against the Red Sox and Rays to earn that playoff spot.

I'm also tired for this 'World Series or bust' crap. This is not like me in the Casey Stengel years and waking up and saying 'the Yankees are going to win the AL pennant and the World Series.'

Brotha, I hear you, but at least tell me what to expect ya know what i'm sayin'? Don't piss on my shoes and tell me it's raining. "WS or bust" is what the Yankees preach every year. Hell, this morning I heard an interview on Mike & Mike (although oddly it was hosted by Eric Assilias (spelling?) and Osi Umenyura) w/ DJ saying the exact same thing. If they expect this team to win, then so do I as a fan and I'll tell you it's tough to fork over $10 for a beer when you're watching a paper tiger out there...

BroadwayBomber55
07-01-08, 11:09 PM
Brotha, I hear you, but at least tell me what to expect ya know what i'm sayin'? Don't piss on my shoes and tell me it's raining. "WS or bust" is what the Yankees preach every year. Hell, this morning I heard an interview on Mike & Mike (although oddly it was hosted by Eric Assilias (spelling?) and Osi Umenyura) w/ DJ saying the exact same thing. If they expect this team to win, then so do I as a fan and I'll tell you it's tough to fork over $10 for a beer when you're watching a paper tiger out there...
I know what you're sayin'.

I don't expect this team to be perfect. Just solid, effective enough with a lot of great execution and making all the plays like actual professionals who want to continue the Yankee winning legacy.

This team has a lot of talent, but they're inconsistent and poorly constructed.

The bottom line is: You earn it on the field. If you don't make all the plays against every team, you can't win ballgames.

Brick Tamland
07-01-08, 11:20 PM
I know what you're sayin'.

I don't expect this team to be perfect. Just solid, effective enough with a lot of great execution and making all the plays like actual professionals who want to continue the Yankee winning legacy.

This team has a lot of talent, but they're inconsistent and poorly constructed.

The bottom line is: You earn it on the field. If you don't make all the plays against every team, you can't win ballgames.

"It is what it is" I suppose. You're right, *every game matters*. I dunno...tonight is a bad night.

JfromJersey
07-01-08, 11:49 PM
The Yankees now have identical records both home and away, and are officially the 4th worse home team in the AL.

I'm starting to think the stadium is pissed that the Yankees are moving and decided to stop acting like a home park.

TEPLimey
07-02-08, 12:09 AM
The Yankees now have identical records both home and away, and are officially the 4th worse home team in the AL.

I'm starting to think the stadium is pissed that the Yankees are moving and decided to stop acting like a home park.
Ice cream in locker room = make playoffs.
No ice cream in locker room = we will see.

now can someone tell hank/cash to stop effing around and sign barry bonds. since when do the yankees care what other owners are doing or thinking?

Toaderly
07-02-08, 06:21 AM
]"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. "[/B]
-Benjamin Franklin

I'm not sure this fits with Girardi seeing how he's just about never put up the same batting line-up twice this entire season. Then again, maybe his insistence on constantly changing it is his way of doing the same thing over and over again.

Toaderly
07-02-08, 06:24 AM
So if CC holds the other team to 2 runs, how do we win if we can't score?

Perhaps his commading presence will be enough to motivate the guys to start putting together consecutive strings of consistant powerful offense that we haven't seen near often enough.

All I really know is that with Hughes and Wang out for two more months, and the idea that I've given up on Kennedy, the Yankees need another big time pitcher in the rotation.

webassign
07-02-08, 06:49 AM
http://blogs.nydailynews.com/iteam/archives/7fr07mqsbonds2.JPG

BRNXBMRS
07-02-08, 07:38 AM
Do what Billy Martin did, pull the names out of a hat and make the lineup that way.

joesalto
07-02-08, 09:14 AM
Ice cream in locker room = make playoffs.
No ice cream in locker room = we will see.

now can someone tell hank/cash to stop effing around and sign barry bonds. since when do the yankees care what other owners are doing or thinking?

I like Bonds if he donates his salary to charity and only DH, but I can see how it can be a major press circus.

primetime714
07-02-08, 10:43 AM
I'm just as dissapointed as everyone. I expected a sweep or at least 2 out of 3 in this series and now its gone the opposite way.

However with 4 games against Boston and two against Tampa Bay leading up to the all-star break let's withold judgement just a bit longer. 3 out of 4 against Boston and we're back in the driver seat.

If things go the other way in this stretch then maybe more drastic moves are needed.

I think the Yankees and Cashman are going to be real active during the ASB and I wouldn't be surprised to see Melky shopped around.

JfromJersey
07-02-08, 12:21 PM
I think the Yankees and Cashman are going to be real active during the ASB and I wouldn't be surprised to see Melky shopped around.

If Joe keeps playing him and he keeps stinking as a hitter his trade value will go right down the toilet.

27IsNext
07-02-08, 01:15 PM
You know things are bad when you can't beat the Rangers, a team the Yankees normally pound.

Hellsing
07-02-08, 01:18 PM
The perceived strength of this team has become its Achilles heel.

27IsNext
07-02-08, 01:19 PM
The perceived strength of this team has become its Achilles heel.

They're getting old and injured. It should surprise no one.

primetime714
07-02-08, 01:25 PM
If Joe keeps playing him and he keeps stinking as a hitter his trade value will go right down the toilet.

I totally agree. His value is very low right now, I think the Yankees will hope that he can snap out of it after the break as he has historically been a 2nd half player. My hope is that after the break he really turns it on for a couple weeks raising his value enough to get a decent return.

If we wanted to deal him now though I think we could definitely get a guy like Matt Murton from the Cubs. They need help in CF and Matt Murton is a young corner OF who is wasting away on their bench and is very a solid RH bat.

TheJobaRules
07-02-08, 01:27 PM
All we need is that "countdown to the playoffs" thread. Works every time!

rajah
07-02-08, 04:48 PM
Hank and Hal should admit that they made a terrible mistake and change the incompetent manager.

What say to that?

BillBuckner
07-02-08, 04:55 PM
Something needs to change alright...

NYYFAN
07-03-08, 10:11 PM
This thread belongs in inside the lines I, with all the other "Offical" threads...

-tz
07-04-08, 12:29 AM
This thread belongs in inside the lines I, with all the other "Offical" threads...That's where it started out. I guess some Mod didn't think it was OFFICIALLY official. :P

joesalto
07-04-08, 11:42 AM
That's where it started out. I guess some Mod didn't think it was OFFICIALLY official. :P

yes, I started the tread over there but the MOD moved it the next day.

I really think that if today against Beckett is the same as yesterday, Stein and crew are goingto make some larger changes than benching Melky

NelsonMuntz
07-04-08, 11:59 AM
Hank and Hal should admit that they made a terrible mistake and change the incompetent manager.

What say to that?
Right, a different/better manager could make our current players younger, healthier, and hit better. I bet he could even teach Robertson how to throw left handed so we would have a lefty in the bullpen.

yanksphan
07-04-08, 12:07 PM
Sign Bonds.

walesave
07-04-08, 12:19 PM
How would you know if something changed? Joe has gone deep into his bench to create some questionable lineups. I don't agree with his approach. Betemit and Molina must play far less than they have been. Joe needs to curtail his penchant for resting players...if they're injured, sit or DL them until they heal otherwise put your best nine every game. The change comes within the lineup. If your four can't deliver a crucial RBI bat him 5th or 6th (certainly not third as Joe did a week ago) until he shows he's up to the task. If your two is having trouble with situational hitting move him to the top of the order where he can focus on patience and his OBP. Keep game day strategy in balance with team chemistry. If a struggling batter comes to the plate with no outs and men on base using the bunt (very judiciously) can relieve the pressure and allow the player make a positive contribution. I see a lineup lacking confidence. It's Joe's job to restore their swagger.

ojo
07-04-08, 12:29 PM
Sign Bonds.

i wouldn't watch another game until they released him.

NyyNjnNyg
07-04-08, 01:43 PM
No to Bonds...It would be a circus, and he still would need a month (his own spring training) to get ready...

NelsonMuntz
07-04-08, 02:23 PM
No to Bonds...It would be a circus, and he still would need a month (his own spring training) to get ready...
I don't understand why this point is lost on so many fans calling for the Yankees to sign Bonds. It's not like he is going to step in on day one and put up a 182 OPS+. He's not the silver bullet some are making him out to be.

NyyNjnNyg
07-04-08, 02:46 PM
I don't understand why this point is lost on so many fans calling for the Yankees to sign Bonds. It's not like he is going to step in on day one and put up a 182 OPS+. He's not the silver bullet some are making him out to be.

Right..Bonds can't save the back end of the rotation, either. There are a lot of problems on this team as it stands

yanksphan
07-04-08, 02:47 PM
i wouldn't watch another game until they released him.

Perhaps they'll take that into consideration.