PDA

View Full Version : Barry Bonds (mod merge) (I know, I know....)

Pages : [1] 2

Martini6196
06-27-08, 10:24 AM
I heard on my ride into work this morning that Barry Bonds is willing to play for the league minimum for any team that wants to sign him. If a team signs him he will then take all of that money and buy tickets for kids to go to the games. Has anyone else heard this?

jeterdaman
06-27-08, 10:26 AM
I know of one person who has..........

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=112424

YanksFan1992
06-27-08, 10:27 AM
I wouldn't be completely against it to be honest, as the guy is still a darn good player (terrible personality and steroid use or not).

However, their really is no spot he would fit in in our lineup so I don't see why we would need him.

webassign
06-27-08, 10:29 AM
Come on Cashman, sign him up! Just imagine a 3-4 punch of Bonds and A-Rod.

jeterdaman
06-27-08, 10:30 AM
I'm sure after we hear that Ortiz is out until September the Red Sox will sign him and he'll hit .360 with 22HR's and 55rbi in the last 65 games.

jeterlove
06-27-08, 10:33 AM
The fact that he is being black balled is a disgrace to MLB

YASS
06-27-08, 10:37 AM
I'm sure after we hear that Ortiz is out until September the Red Sox will sign him and he'll hit .360 with 22HR's and 55rbi in the last 65 games.
I would not be opposed to this.

Jasbro
06-27-08, 10:39 AM
Baseball's so-called "morals" clause -- technically, paragraph 7. (b) (1) of the Uniform Player's Contract -- states that a team can terminate a player's contract if the player shall "fail, refuse or neglect to conform his personal conduct to the standards of good citizenship and good sportsmanship or to keep himself in first-class physical condition ..."http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/john_donovan/12/08/players.contracts/index.html

He's under Federal indictment for lying about abusing performance enhancing drugs.

He's currently in violation of the morals clause in 3 different ways in just the one sentence above.

He isn't being blackballed. He's made himself undesirable -- if not unsignable -- at any price.

Yankee Tripper
06-27-08, 10:43 AM
I'll just steal my onw post from the other bonds thread

Sign him up - a line up of

Damon CF
Jeter SS
Bonds LF/DH
A-Rod 3B
Matsui DH/LF
Giambi 1B
Posada C
Abreu RF
Cano 2B

Sure our OF defense would suck but man we could score some runs and Melky could caddie for Barry/Godzilla moving to CF in the 7th with Damon sliding over to LF for who ever came out that day!

Hobie
06-27-08, 11:38 AM

Damon CF
Jeter SS
Bonds LF/DH
A-Rod 3B
Matsui DH/LF
Giambi 1B
Posada C
Abreu RF
Cano 2B

Sure our OF defense would suck but man we could score some runs and Melky could caddie for Barry/Godzilla moving to CF in the 7th with Damon sliding over to LF for who ever came out that day!

Seriously, as much as I dislike the guy....you can't argue with that line up.

I say sign him. It's for half a year, at league minimum, and it instantly makes the Yankees a better team.

Zimmers' Helmet
06-27-08, 11:54 AM
The fact that he is being black balled is a disgrace to MLB

The fact that he cheated his way into the record books is also a disgrace to MLB.

webassign
06-27-08, 11:57 AM
The fact that he cheated his way into the record books is also a disgrace to MLB.
Who cares? As long as he hits homers and drives in runs, I couldn't care less if he took PEDs, knocked up 20 women, sold crack cocaine, or got into fights at stripclubs.

Besides, we might actually have a need for him. If Matsui's knee injury is worse than we thought, then we have a nice vacant hole at DH for Barry.

jeterlove
06-27-08, 12:04 PM

Well that's true, but it also applies to guys like Giambi, Pettitte, Gagne, Jack Cust, ect.

Bonds swing at Yankee Stadium would be insane

The Dynasty
06-27-08, 12:04 PM

Damon CF
Jeter SS
Bonds LF/DH
A-Rod 3B
Matsui DH/LF
Giambi 1B
Posada C
Abreu RF
Cano 2B

Unreal :)

Yankee Tripper
06-27-08, 12:11 PM
Who cares? As long as he hits homers and drives in runs, I couldn't care less if he took PEDs, knocked up 20 women, sold crack cocaine, or got into fights at stripclubs.

Besides, we might actually have a need for him. If Matsui's knee injury is worse than we thought, then we have a nice vacant hole at DH for Barry.
:werd: It'd not like he's a violent felon. Heck we've given chances to Steve Howe, Doc Gooden, Tim Raines, Daryll Strawberry, Roger Clemens, Sidney Ponson and others all of whom have helped to some degree or another and each of whom came with baggage.

If the dude can still play and last year he clearly showed he could, I'd root for the laundry when he came to bat.

NYDCYankee
06-27-08, 12:12 PM
Gimme, gimme, I want, I want.

BillBuckner
06-27-08, 12:15 PM
Assuming this thread is not a joke, where would he play?

flymick24
06-27-08, 12:16 PM
the number of runs allowed by having bonds or matsui play the field would certainly offset any additional offense his presence in the lineup would provide

flymick24
06-27-08, 12:17 PM
and btw, this thread, like all bonds thread, makes my balls hurt

Yankee Tripper
06-27-08, 12:27 PM
the number of runs allowed by having bonds or matsui play the field would certainly offset any additional offense his presence in the lineup would providecare to back that up with some statistical evidence, or is this just a wild claim based on a feeling?

webassign
06-27-08, 12:30 PM
Assuming this thread is not a joke, where would he play?
DH or LF, assuming Matsui's knee problem keeps him on the DL for an extended period of time. Damon would shift back to center, and Melky would be back on the bench where he belongs.

BillBuckner
06-27-08, 12:31 PM
DH or LF, assuming Matsui's knee problem keeps him on the DL for an extended period of time. Damon would shift back to center, and Melky would be back on the bench where he belongs.

Yeah I just love the outfield of Bonds in left, Damon in center, and Abreu in right.

Hellsing
06-27-08, 12:36 PM
Bonds as the DH.
Yes, please!

He had a 1.045 OPS last season....

Barry Bonds + Short Porch in LF + a lineup with A-Rod, Jeter, Bobby, Giambi and Damon = the more prolific offense in the history of baseball.

webassign
06-27-08, 12:37 PM
Yeah I just love the outfield of Bonds in left, Damon in center, and Abreu in right.
Does anyone have fielding statistics for Bonds, Matsui, and Damon? I always thought Bonds was a lot better in the field than what his reputation would suggest. Yes Damon in center is a liability, but the added offense more than makes up for it.

CommerceComet
06-27-08, 12:41 PM
Daryll StrawberryI would love to have someone like Strawberry sitting on the bench now. I don't know how many times he forced the opposing manager's hand. All the opposing managers were attempting to manipulate the game so Joe couldn't bring Strawberry up to bat late with the game on the line. Barry Bonds would do the same thing except that I doubt that he would quietly accept a bench role.

YankeesAce4Life
06-27-08, 12:47 PM
I dislike Bonds as much as anyone else, but having this guy DH for us would be murder to the opposing pitching. How can you pitch to:

Damon DH/CF/LF
Jeter SS
Bonds LF/DH
A-Rod 3B
Matsui LF/DH
Giambi 1B/DH
Abreu RF
Posada C
Cano 2B

That would be such a devastating lineup and is making me drool just thinking/looking at it. :drool:

The outfield defense would be worrisome, but I think it would be able to get by.

I doubt it would happen. I was against Bonds but just thinking about it, if they would happen to get him, I'd be for it.

Yankee Tripper
06-27-08, 12:47 PM
Barry Bonds would do the same thing except that I doubt that he would quietly accept a bench role.
He was a 7 inning player for SF last year. He could easily be the same for us this year. Bonds LF, Damon CF for 6 or 7 innings Melky comes in to CF as PR/DF replacement Damon slides over to left. You get 3 ABs from Bonds and then he comes out of the game. Not to mention he could DH and be a big threat off the bench on days when he inevitably will need rest.

Plus Damon, Matsui and Bonds are all guys who can benefit from having days off. I see no problem accomodating ABs, especially since Giambi has shown he's capable of playing 1B and doesn't need a whole bunch of ABs at DH this year.

I can't believe I'm defending this guy but it is nearly impossible to see how he doesn't help our team if they do wind up signing him.

It it is true he'll play for pro-rated minimum this is a no brainer do it today Ca$h move.

R.V.47
06-27-08, 12:49 PM
Although the Mitchell Report was biased IMO, the yankees became one of the faces of the steroid era after its release, having Clemens on the team last year didnt help either. We have enough offense to not have to stoop to this level and embarass the franchise.

flymick24
06-27-08, 12:56 PM
care to back that up with some statistical evidence, or is this just a wild claim based on a feeling?

it's a claim based on my damn two eyes and brain... no stats necessary

webassign
06-27-08, 01:07 PM
Although the Mitchell Report was biased IMO, the yankees became one of the faces of the steroid era after its release, having Clemens on the team last year didnt help either. We have enough offense to not have to stoop to this level and embarass the franchise.
This franchise has been a joke for the past few years. Winning is the only way to change that.

fellows
06-27-08, 01:10 PM
If Matsui's injury is more than a 15 day stint they should sign him before they announce the injury.

CallOfTheCrow
06-27-08, 01:11 PM
$20M & his number retired in Monument Park.

YanksFan1992
06-27-08, 04:17 PM
Can he pitch?

Hellsing
06-27-08, 04:33 PM
Can he pitch?

Better than Giese, Rasner, or Ponson?

YES.

BillBuckner
06-27-08, 04:36 PM
Can he pitch?

No, but if Cashman had a brain and signed Bonds yesterday, he would have surely hit at least 11 or 12 home runs today and we would have most likey have beaten the Mets.

Yankee Tripper
06-28-08, 03:22 PM
Hideki Matsui: The Yankees admitted that surgery was a possibility. “That would be the last option but we can’t rule it out,” Brian Cashman said. He had his knee drained again.

Bonds, Barry Bonds - Ya gotta consider it Ca$h

primetime714
06-28-08, 03:33 PM
Bonds, Barry Bonds - Ya gotta consider it Ca$h

While I don't like Bonds and would prefer not to see him as a Yankee, Matsui's injury does open up a spot that he could really help out in.

The question is do we sell off some of the integrity of the team to help us win now? Alot of teams could've used him but the league has remained content to blackball him.

Nome
06-28-08, 03:34 PM
I heard on my ride into work this morning that Barry Bonds is willing to play for the league minimum for any team that wants to sign him. If a team signs him he will then take all of that money and buy tickets for kids to go to the games. Has anyone else heard this?

"(I know, I know)". No you don't or you wouldn't have started this idiotic thread. One thing we don't need is another old, beyond his prime, overpaid player who can't play a position and who comes with an attitude. We have enough problems as it is, we DON'T need this one

Andy

Nome
06-28-08, 03:39 PM

Didn't we try that with our signing of Jose Canseco a few years ago? We didn't want the red sox to get him and they laughed for the rest of the season while Canseco was totally nonproductive and a drain on our bench. Canseco wasn't totally unproductive but he played mostly as a DH and his best position was benchwarmer. Sure let's make the same mistake with Bonds

Andy

Mr. Mxylsplk
06-28-08, 04:00 PM
While I could have imagined many responses about why Bonds wouldn't make sense for the yankees, a comparison to the our 2000 pick-up of Jose Canseco wasn't one of them.

YanksFanTillDeath
06-28-08, 04:34 PM
I was totally against us signing him but with everything that we have going on with these injuries it makes a lot of sense... just imagine him batting after arod... .... yeah I tought so...

now what is his shape can he play inmediatly? any1 knows?

dabomb2045
06-29-08, 10:01 AM
Sign him. I'm all about winning games...and Bonds could help this team. Low-risk/high-reward move. If he comes here and does nothing, then you just DFA him.

ppa79
06-29-08, 10:46 AM
with matsui going down and only asking for 300k, why not?

The guy will post an OBP of .400+ and a slugging of .500+

Slioman
06-29-08, 11:42 AM
with matsui going down and only asking for 300k, why not?

The guy will post an OBP of .400+ and a slugging of .500+

Well, he has been out of baseball, but those numbers are a possibility.
Bonds will be productive, though.

Bostonsfavson
06-29-08, 05:27 PM
I have to be honest, I think bringing Bonds on board would be a pretty good idea. As time goes by I like it more and more. And for those who are opposed to it saying that we don't need another old, injury-prone vet, well, that's certainly a valid point. But for the rest of the reason at the league minimum? You're telling me it's not worth taking a shot? No one on this team is getting any younger, and bringing Bonds in to help give us a boost seems reasonable to me. I don't think it's the greatest idea in the world, but I'd be willing to go with it.

philleotardo
06-29-08, 07:09 PM
What are Bonds' lifetime #'s against Oliver Perez? :mad:

nnysiny
06-29-08, 07:38 PM
What are Bonds' lifetime #'s against Oliver Perez? :mad:
actually, Bonds said Perez is the toughest lefty hes ever faced

NZ NYY Fan
06-29-08, 07:56 PM
Thankfully no more Perez this year
I think Bonds on the yankees would be funny

nyyfanatic85
06-30-08, 05:25 PM
I'm all for it, but I haven't heard any rumors yet. We have everything to gain and nothing to lose at 300K.

rodney27nyg
06-30-08, 09:51 PM
I'd take Barry on this team in a NY second!

rodney27nyg
06-30-08, 09:53 PM
I'd take Barry on this team in a NY second!

Just his presence would win games...whether it be a PH'ing threat off the bench or pitching to ARod and company rather than facing Barry in the everyday line-up.

All our hitters would benefit from Barry in the line-up.

BroadwayBomber55
06-30-08, 10:13 PM
I'm all for it, but I haven't heard any rumors yet. We have everything to gain and nothing to lose at 300K.
All Barry Bonds has to do is to chip in. The rest? They better follow.

I sign him too.

siddiqi
06-30-08, 10:23 PM
If Matsui's injury is very serious, I don't see why we shouldn't give Bonds a shot. We're already the most hated team in the bigs, so it's not like Bonds can make our reputation any worse.

southernNYYfan
06-30-08, 10:24 PM
After tonight...Im all for it, this is pathetic. The more I think about it, it makes sense. He is patient and would be killer in YS...

dont_ya_know24
06-30-08, 10:29 PM
if he underperforms, no problem with the small contract. (surprised the rays or twins haven't pounced on him yet...)

though peteabe is right, by the time bonds gets game-ready, matsui will almost be back, so the idea of replacing matsui with bonds is really pointless....

sabermet prospectus
07-01-08, 03:38 AM
I hate that "can he pitch" garbage. Just because pitching is your biggest weakness (although it can be argued hitting with risp is the teams biggest weakness) doesnt mean you dont improve the offense if you have a chance.

you do anything to make the team better.

its like if andy philips is playing 1st and someone is like "ill give you mark texiera for a bag of balls and hes only going to cost you the league minimum"

are you going to turn that down simply because texiera isnt a pitcher ? it makes 0 sense.

No bonds cant pitch but he would be the 2nd best hitter in our lineup as soon as he stepped on the field.

yankeeman61
07-01-08, 09:43 AM
Yep

http://aquavids.com/aquashop/images/allaboardcrazytrain_aquavids.jpg

THEBOSS84
07-01-08, 09:46 AM
We need to sign Bonds now.

montrealer
07-01-08, 09:49 AM
I guess for some fans "Desperate times call for desperate measures."

THEBOSS84
07-01-08, 09:50 AM

More like "great production for the league minimum = wise"

Mr. Mxylsplk
07-01-08, 09:51 AM
I think a more accurate description would be "A struggling offense calls for adding as prolific a hitter as the game has ever seen, for free."

BroadwayBomber55
07-01-08, 11:02 AM
if he underperforms, no problem with the small contract. (surprised the rays or twins haven't pounced on him yet...)

though peteabe is right, by the time bonds gets game-ready, matsui will almost be back, so the idea of replacing matsui with bonds is really pointless....
And also, if the Yankees do sign Barry Bonds and Hideki Matsui comes back from the DL, what do you do with the LF situation?

Bonds can't play in the OF anymore. Matsui with his injuries can't play at LF either. Johnny Damon? Platoon with Matsui?

Ynkcpt23
07-01-08, 11:08 AM
More like "great production for the league minimum = wise"

I currently hate myself for saying this--I despise Bonds and everything he stands for. He is an arrogant POS that doesn't give a damn about anybody else but himself--and even I'm giving up my position. Matsui is out, our pitching is a mess. We need as many runs as humanly possible.

So WTF, I guess I will give up my opinions and everything down to my very soul. Sign him now. He would vault this team immediately assuming he's anywhere near game-shape. That LF porch is almost screaming for him as we speak.

THEBOSS84
07-01-08, 11:17 AM
I currently hate myself for saying this--I despise Bonds and everything he stands for. He is an arrogant POS that doesn't give a damn about anybody else but himself--and even I'm giving up my position. Matsui is out, our pitching is a mess. We need as many runs as humanly possible.

So WTF, I guess I will give up my opinions and everything down to my very soul. Sign him now. He would vault this team immediately assuming he's anywhere near game-shape. That LF porch is almost screaming for him as we speak.

Welcome to the dark side my man.

yankeeman61
07-01-08, 11:21 AM

You lousy sell-out! What good are you now? :lol:

http://www.edinformatics.com/inventions_inventors/Kool-AidMan.jpg

effdamets
07-01-08, 11:23 AM
Welcome to the dark side my man.
It is just a reflection of fans wanting to win more than they care about what image is portrayed.

THEBOSS84
07-01-08, 11:27 AM
It is just a reflection of fans wanting to win more than they care about what image is portrayed.

You play the game to win, not to portray a positive image on young fans. That's just gravy.

mrbawm
07-01-08, 11:30 AM
The offense stinks this year. We could really use a guy like Bonds. Who cares about his past? How many years was Clemens on this team? They should be treated exactly the same.

BroadwayBomber55
07-01-08, 11:33 AM
The offense stinks this year. We could really use a guy like Bonds. Who cares about his past? How many years was Clemens on this team? They should be treated exactly the same.
Roger Clemens was a Yankee for 6 seasons. He just chipped in.

Barry Bonds can do the same.

webassign
07-01-08, 11:39 AM
And also, if the Yankees do sign Barry Bonds and Hideki Matsui comes back from the DL, what do you do with the LF situation?

Bonds can't play in the OF anymore. Matsui with his injuries can't play at LF either. Johnny Damon? Platoon with Matsui?
Get rid of Melky and suck up the crappier defense at the expense of Bonds's offense.

YESSIR!
07-01-08, 11:56 AM
Get rid of Melky and suck up the crappier defense at the expense of Bonds's offense.

Our offense with Bonds as a DH and Damon in CF with Matsui in LF would be an absolute monstrosity.

Get it done Caaaaaaasshhhhh!

Ynkcpt23
07-01-08, 12:10 PM
Our offense with Bonds as a DH and Damon in CF with Matsui in LF would be an absolute monstrosity.

Get it done Caaaaaaasshhhhh!

And the worst outfield defense in the AL--they have to score 10+ a game to make up for Damon's arm and Matsui's ball-seeking skills. Plus, is Matsui going to play LF in crutches???

nyyfanatic85
07-01-08, 02:13 PM
OK, after last night I've officially moved to the dark side. Get Bonds now!!!

YESSIR!
07-01-08, 03:20 PM
And the worst outfield defense in the AL--they have to score 10+ a game to make up for Damon's arm and Matsui's ball-seeking skills. Plus, is Matsui going to play LF in crutches???

Matsui in crutches out in left? A small price to pay for the DeathStar Lineup v.2. ;)

yankeeman61
07-01-08, 05:08 PM
Matsui in crutches out in left? A small price to pay for the DeathStar Lineup v.2. ;)

Do you remember what happened to the Death Star v.1?

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1435/733461743_b378576f6b.jpg?v=0

1936-1939JoeNLou
07-01-08, 10:42 PM
Sign him up!

Brick Tamland
07-01-08, 10:54 PM
If he truly agrees to play for the league minimum and give his salary to charity as he has stated, sign him up. What the hell. This team seemingly has no chemistry anyway so why not ink the b*stard. At least he'd be contributing something to the community...

just-blaze
07-02-08, 02:48 AM

We are the most hated team in the MLB.....why does that matter.

We give money to other teams, give heavy donations to all types of charities, play the classy way.........and we are still HATED with a passion by everyone.

Hell, the number one chant in stadiums is "Yankees Suck"

Why does it matter if we sign a player wanting to play at league minimum?

just-blaze
07-02-08, 02:51 AM

Actually, Bonds' offense will allow us to deal with Melky's below average bat.....along as his D and arm keep up.

We should trade Damon while his value is high as it is, b/c quite frankly he is playing over his head.

Quite frankly pt II......Damon, Matsui, and Giambi are all injuries waiting to happen. We probably shouldn't get rid of anyone.

rodney27nyg
07-02-08, 05:00 AM

After the Mitchell Report Yankee witchhunt...our image won't change very much from what it currently is.

Besides, everyone hates us anyway.

yankeeman61
07-02-08, 06:54 AM
After the Mitchell Report Yankee witchhunt...our image won't change very much from what it currently is.

R27 - what's up? You know what? For me, I don't care about people hating the Yankees more. We've dealt with that for our entire fandom's lifespan so I couldn't care less what other fans think. The problem I have with Bonds is his "me-first" attitude. He can say he wants to win more than anything, but I just don't believe him. I don't think he would affect the other players, in fact the attention he would draw might take some pressure off the team. Like it or not, fair or not he is the poster child for the roids era. I have never seen an athlete who had so much success be so bitter, angry and seemingly unhappy. He is also old and his body is breaking down. He hasn't played at all this year and many assume he will just pick up where he left off. For all of these reasons I don' want him on the team.

effdamets
07-02-08, 07:00 AM
We are the most hated team in the MLB.....why does that matter.

We give money to other teams, give heavy donations to all types of charities, play the classy way.........and we are still HATED with a passion by everyone.

Hell, the number one chant in stadiums is "Yankees Suck"

Why does it matter if we sign a player wanting to play at league minimum?

I realize these thoughts.
I am on the side of "do anything to get to October".
And I am the biggest Bonds hater on the planet.
It might not be a bad idea to have his (possible) consisent bat in the lineup - at least that would make one!

webassign
07-02-08, 07:05 AM
Someone photoshop Bonds in a Yankees uniform.

JDPNYY
07-02-08, 07:07 AM
"Ohhhh moy gawd, Barry Bawnds is in the owners bawx and he's waving to the fans."

teknetic
07-02-08, 07:31 AM

He isn't a pitcher. It shouldn't take him 1 month of games in the minors, you'd have to figure he kept himself in shape during his "break." It doesn't really matter though, the dude can't be any worse than Melky.

apalradio
07-02-08, 07:37 AM
What this team needs more than Bonds is some strong young talent on the rise and hungry for success. Sure, perhaps Barry's bat would help, assuming he's not completely rusted out from sitting on his butt all season. But it doesn't solve the overriding issues of an aging lineup and a general complacency that seems to get worse every year.

webassign
07-02-08, 08:07 AM
What this team needs more than Bonds is some strong young talent on the rise and hungry for success. Sure, perhaps Barry's bat would help, assuming he's not completely rusted out from sitting on his butt all season. But it doesn't solve the overriding issues of an aging lineup and a general complacency that seems to get worse every year.
Young talent didn't have a .480 OBP in the majors last year.

JohnnyDamonfan
07-02-08, 08:49 AM
I am sick of this. Cash get Bonds on the phone right now and tell him to sign on the dotted line.

Lifelong Fan
07-02-08, 09:48 AM
Another thought - what a way to put the screws to Bud Seilig!

YESSIR!
07-02-08, 09:58 AM
Do you remember what happened to the Death Star v.1?

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1435/733461743_b378576f6b.jpg?v=0

Sadly, yes :( However, that version didn't have Bonds in it! ;)

"Ohhhh moy gawd, Barry Bawnds is in the owners bawx and he's waving to the fans."

Hahaha, yes!

Hobie
07-02-08, 10:04 AM

Of awl the dwamatic things I've eva seen...

YanksFanTillDeath
07-02-08, 10:12 AM
Remember his Rookie card? :D

Hellsing
07-02-08, 10:30 AM

Barry: "Well, they came and got me out of Prison, and I can tell you it's a privilege to be back. I'll be talking to you soon."

effdamets
07-02-08, 10:33 AM
Barry: "Well, they came and got me out of Prison, and I can tell you it's a privilege to be back. I'll be talking to you soon."
Barry is in prison? When did this happen??

primetime714
07-02-08, 10:33 AM
Wow I really hate that this move makes so much sense for us, but it really does assuming Matsui will be out for a while.

If we get Bonds I'll be really torn because of what he stands for and in general the type of person he is, but it would be a great move from the on-the-field standpoint.

TEPLimey
07-02-08, 04:45 PM
Get Bonds and don't look back.

What's so bad about Barry Bonds anyway? We acquired David Justice after he was rumored to have beaten Halle Berry. We have been cheering team-leader-in-HRs Giambi.

TheJobaRules
07-03-08, 10:24 PM
It would take him like 4 weeks to get up to the big club. The team is already 8 games behind the Rays (can't believe I'd ever write that), who knows how many they will be back by that point.

This ship has sailed, the Yankees are more likely to be sellers.

yank4life2005
07-04-08, 06:48 AM
If Matsui is out with his knee for the rest of the season then I think you have to at least consider Bonds as the DH.DamonJeterAbreuA-RodBondsGiambiPosadaCanoCabrera/Gardner

just-blaze
07-04-08, 01:58 PM
OK, now Damon might be out for a while............seriously why isnt he signed yet.

bxbomber328
07-04-08, 02:07 PM
With that short porch in right field, he'll be a monster here. Please sign him up, I don't care what has happened. I mean, we signed Roger Clemens for all that money. Who cares, as long as he helps us win. I always told my friends how I couldn't stand Bonds, but if he were ever on this team, I'd be cheering for him.

Plus- good friends with Arod right?

primetime714
07-04-08, 03:25 PM
Get ready Barry barring a quick recovery by Matsui and Damon for that matter you'll be in pinstripes soon enough.

yank4life2005
07-04-08, 03:34 PM
Get ready Barry barring a quick recovery by Matsui and Damon for that matter you'll be in pinstripes soon enough.
Yankees are worried that Damon might have a separation.Gardner in LFBonds as DH

YankeeFan66
07-04-08, 07:27 PM
IF Ortiz doesnt come back 100% I'll bet Boston beats us to him......

just-blaze
07-04-08, 07:32 PM
IF Ortiz doesnt come back 100% I'll bet Boston beats us to him......

Why? They are hitting without him.

It wouldn't suprise me though.

flymick24
07-05-08, 12:39 AM
get bernie on the phone

BobbyMurcerFan
07-06-08, 08:31 PM
Young talent didn't have a .480 OBP in the majors last year.But it was able able to move all the way to home plate to score.

webassign
07-06-08, 09:01 PM
But it was able able to move all the way to home plate to score.
Who needs to run when you hit it out of the park?

just-blaze
07-07-08, 12:07 AM
But it was able able to move all the way to home plate to score.

This sounds like the Giambi argument.

Damn base cloggers.

And, I think with all the rest Bonds has had and being mostly a DH, he could run faster than Giambi or Posada could right now.

shotz
07-07-08, 12:11 AM
Barry Bonds is having an awesome season

Yankees1962
07-07-08, 12:12 AM
Whether MLB admits it or not, Bonds is blackballed out of the sport and you guys better get used to it. He's done!

Yankees13
07-07-08, 12:16 AM
Whether MLB admits it or not, Bonds is blackballed out of the sport and you guys better get used to it. He's done!
I've come to this conclusion as well. It's clear there's been some sort of collusion against Bonds. Someone would have signed him by now, there's just too many teams that could use him. Just in the AL East alone, he could put Tampa over the top, and he could make the Yankees a serious factor again.

just-blaze
07-07-08, 12:18 AM

That sucks.....that really hurt our playoff chances.........

Barring MVP second halves from Jeter and Abreu.....and maybe a ROY performance from Gardner in the second half......playoff streak ends.

False1
07-07-08, 01:05 PM
As hard as it has been to watch at times this year, I'd prefer that Bonds not be signed. First, at this age and after being out for a season and a half it's far from a sure bet that he comes back healthy let alone as a masher. Second, even for the minor league minimum how friggin horrible would it be if he came back and sucked? We'd never hear the end of it.

If A-Rod's divorce has some skeletons in the closet, I wonder if they'd consider signing Bonds just to take up media real estate and some attention away from that?

TEPLimey
07-07-08, 03:28 PM
wtf is the matter with the FO?

Bonds should be signed and he should be signed now. Since when do the Steinbrenners care about what the other teams think. Come to think of it, they would probably love it if we signed Bonds for the minimum and he helped our offense into the playoffs. We'd get the benefit of another postseason with the added bonus of getting to laugh at the rest of baseball for being too dumb to sign him.

Matsui may be done for the season and lets be realistic:

Damon, Melky/Gardner, Betemit < Bonds, Damon, Melky/Gardner

Bleacher_Creature
07-07-08, 03:41 PM

Bonds should be signed and he should be signed now. Since when do the Steinbrenners care about what the other teams think. Come to think of it, they would probably love it if we signed Bonds for the minimum and he helped our offense into the playoffs. We'd get the benefit of another postseason with the added bonus of getting to laugh at the rest of baseball for being too dumb to sign him.

Damon, Melky/Gardner, Betemit < Bonds, Damon, Melky/Gardner

Do you think he'll impact the offense right away? IMO if we sign him now, he'll need to get into baseball shape both physically and mentally. At his age, that could take a few weeks, but with his skills it could be shorter. Let's face it, Barry was a HOF before his head got bigger. I think he could help out any team, but IMO it would be sometime in August (assuming he's signed today). But it seems the owners are in colusions on this.

apalradio
07-07-08, 03:57 PM
I've come to this conclusion as well. It's clear there's been some sort of collusion against Bonds. Someone would have signed him by now, there's just too many teams that could use him. Just in the AL East alone, he could put Tampa over the top, and he could make the Yankees a serious factor again.Not saying there's not collusion, but are we to conclude that there's no possibility ever that all owners could simply decide the same thing at the same time. For instance, if Rickey Henderson suddenly decided he wanted to come back and help a team in the second half, and no one made him an offer, would that be collusion?

There may in fact be some form of blackballing on a team by team basis. But doesn't any team have the right to decide it doesn't want a certain player for whatever reason? And is it possible that all teams would have there own reasons for wanting to stay away from that same player? It might be a bit of a stretch, but so is the idea that all 30 owners would be in perfect agreement with each other about something.

Yankees13
07-07-08, 04:19 PM
Not saying there's not collusion, but are we to conclude that there's no possibility ever that all owners could simply decide the same thing at the same time. For instance, if Rickey Henderson suddenly decided he wanted to come back and help a team in the second half, and no one made him an offer, would that be collusion?

There may in fact be some form of blackballing on a team by team basis. But doesn't any team have the right to decide it doesn't want a certain player for whatever reason? And is it possible that all teams would have there own reasons for wanting to stay away from that same player? It might be a bit of a stretch, but so is the idea that all 30 owners would be in perfect agreement with each other about something.
Of course that's a possibility, but I don't find it likely. Almost every team in baseball has a good reason to sign Bonds. We're not talking about someone who's arguably washed up, we're talking about someone who had a 170 OPS+ last year. There's also the additional consideration of selling tickets. Even if it was just to jeer him, fans would come out in droves to see Bonds. For a 150,000 dollar investment, a small market team could make that back more than a hundredfold by additional tickets sold. To me, it just makes too much sense for too many teams to sign him for me not to suspect something. I doubt that all 30 owners are in agreement, but I do think the potential renegade owners have been told by the other owners, or by Selig that they are not to sign Bonds.

nh_snowman
07-07-08, 04:21 PM
I've come to this conclusion as well. It's clear there's been some sort of collusion against Bonds. Someone would have signed him by now, there's just too many teams that could use him. Just in the AL East alone, he could put Tampa over the top, and he could make the Yankees a serious factor again.

I think there's some sort of collusion against me. I'm a weak hitting right hander who can't play the field but I'm a nice guy which would bring some good clubhouse chemistry and I could fix any computer problems they have, all for the league minimum. Despite the positives no one is willing to sign me to a major league contract. I'm sure all the team execs spread the word at the winter meetings that I shouldn't be signed. Then again maybe they all agree that my positives are not enough to justify an .034 OPS (I would hope for a few Rasner like walks).

hockeypuck2008
07-07-08, 04:47 PM
ESPN's Peter Gammons says that the Red Sox have had "internal discussions" about Barry Bonds, but consider a workout unlikely.

David Ortiz is expected to return shortly after the All-Star break, so the Sox don't have much reason to seriously pursue Bonds.

rotoworld.com

Yankees13
07-07-08, 04:50 PM
ESPN's Peter Gammons says that the Red Sox have had "internal discussions" about Barry Bonds, but consider a workout unlikely.

David Ortiz is expected to return shortly after the All-Star break, so the Sox don't have much reason to seriously pursue Bonds.

rotoworld.com
Didn't Gammons say something to the extent of "they've considered it, but they don't think it would work with the makeup of the city" during the game last night? That certainly raised my eyebrows.

Yankee Tripper
07-07-08, 04:58 PM
OH, Bond's SLG% of .565 last year was the same as Miguel Cabrera which was good for 11th in MLB and even if you throw out each and every one of his 43 intentional walks last year his adjusted OBP of .430 would have been good for 4th best in MLB.

Clearly the guy has no game. My guess is the rumors about him playing for league minimum are bogus and what he really wants is something a bit more.

But if the rumors are true he would play for league minimum, I'm pissed our FO hasn't done this like a month ago.

Mr. Mxylsplk
07-07-08, 05:16 PM
Clearly the guy has no game. My guess is the rumors about him playing for league minimum are bogus and what he really wants is something a bit more. But if the rumors are true he would play for league minimum, I'm pissed our FO hasn't done this like a month ago.
Bonds' image isn't very good to begin with - I doubt he'd play chicken like that and allow some team to publicly announce that they offered him a contract, with them paying the league minimum and him using it to buy tickets for kids' groups, but he turned them down. Maybe I'm underestimating his tolerance for looking like a jerk, but that would reallly make him look bad.

webassign
07-10-08, 02:32 PM
Barry's agent says that he can be ready to play 10 days after he signs a contract.

per NY Post blog

Bozidar
07-10-08, 02:33 PM
Barry's agent says that he can be ready to play 10 days after he signs a contract.

per NY Post bloghe's just gotta go through a quick cycle and he'll be good to go..

Bozidar
07-10-08, 02:37 PM

Damon, Melky/Gardner, Betemit < Bonds, Damon, Melky/Gardnermaybe the FO doesn't care what other teams think, but they like to listen to their manager, GM, coaches, players, fans, and vice presidents?

webassign
07-10-08, 02:41 PM
maybe the FO doesn't care what other teams think, but they like to listen to their manager, GM, coaches, players, fans, and vice presidents?
I think the offensive improvement over Betemit far outweighs any kind of baggage that Bonds might bring. Who's to say that he can't behave like Sidney Ponson has for the past few weeks? I thought this team was about giving guys second chances.

Bleacher_Creature
07-10-08, 02:44 PM
2. There are rumors circulating that the Red Sox are interested in Barry Bonds. We've been pushing for a Bonds signing for the last few weeks. With Damon and Matsui now out, do you think Cashman & Co. would entertain this proposition?

I do not see this ever happening. Bonds and the New York media would be an absolutely toxic mix, plus he would need time to get in game shape, and by then their injured guys would be back already. Again -- they have too many DHs as it is. Plus, Bonds has all these legal issues hanging over his head. The Yankees have dealt with enough steroid clouds in recent years (Giambi, Sheffield, Clemens, etc.).

http://www.nomaas.org/nytimes4.html

webassign
07-10-08, 02:46 PM
The only real issue that Kepner brings up is the media. His agent gave teams a 1 week to 10 days timeframe for a return, which is much sooner than when Matsui would be available. I don't see how the "legal issues" even matter when his hearing is scheduled for March 2009.

Bozidar
07-10-08, 03:16 PM
I think the offensive improvement over Betemit far outweighs any kind of baggage that Bonds might bring. Who's to say that he can't behave like Sidney Ponson has for the past few weeks? I thought this team was about giving guys second chances.You're looking through the forest for the trees. You're trying to figure out why the FO hasn't tried to sign one of the most controversial players in mlb history to come face the NY media in the first year of a manager's reign in a star-loaded club?

it's the obvious thing.. look around.. the reasons (trees) are all around you.

webassign
07-10-08, 03:19 PM
You're looking through the forest for the trees. You're trying to figure out why the FO hasn't tried to sign one of the most controversial players in mlb history to come face the NY media in the first year of a manager's reign in a star-loaded club?

it's the obvious thing.. look around.. the reasons (trees) are all around you.
No, the issue isn't recognition of the issues. I just think the reasons that any team (not just the Yankees) have for not signing him pale in comparison to what positives Bonds can bring to a team.

Jasbro
07-10-08, 03:26 PM
The only real issue that Kepner brings up is the media. His agent gave teams a 1 week to 10 days timeframe for a return, which is much sooner than when Matsui would be available. I don't see how the "legal issues" even matter when his hearing is scheduled for March 2009.

He's indicted on 14 Federal perjury counts.

As such, he's already in violation of the morals clause in the standard player's contract before even signing one.

No business -- baseball or otherwise -- can/will sign a contract in good faith when they know the other party is already in breach.

THEBOSS84
07-10-08, 03:30 PM
No, the issue isn't recognition of the issues. I just think the reasons that any team (not just the Yankees) have for not signing him pale in comparison to what positives Bonds can bring to a team.

I agree with you. There is obviously a silent agreement among the owners/gms to not go near him.

webassign
07-10-08, 03:46 PM

As such, he's already in violation of the morals clause in the standard player's contract before even signing one.

No business -- baseball or otherwise -- can/will sign a contract in good faith when they know the other party is already in breach.
For some reason, I doubt that Barry is the first player to ever be in legal trouble before signing a baseball contract.

just-blaze
07-10-08, 09:31 PM

Indicted not convicted........however inevitable it might be.

Considering the guy has offered to donate the league minimum to charity.........I really don't know how badly we can ish on the guy for trying to play again.

just-blaze
07-10-08, 09:36 PM
2. There are rumors circulating that the Red Sox are interested in Barry Bonds. We've been pushing for a Bonds signing for the last few weeks. With Damon and Matsui now out, do you think Cashman & Co. would entertain this proposition?

I do not see this ever happening. Bonds and the New York media would be an absolutely toxic mix, plus he would need time to get in game shape, and by then their injured guys would be back already. Again -- they have too many DHs as it is. Plus, Bonds has all these legal issues hanging over his head. The Yankees have dealt with enough steroid clouds in recent years (Giambi, Sheffield, Clemens, etc.).

http://www.nomaas.org/nytimes4.html

Matsui and his bad defense with a returning gimpy knee v. Damon's declining range and worst arm in history of baseball v. Bonds' rested over the hill fielding abilities.

Cant say there is a no doubt winner there.

Again, if he doesn't work out.......there is a little known process in MLB called D-F-A.

Bonds is worth a 200 thousand dollar gamble.

Or maybe Cash can just hope that the lineup will get fully healthy at the same time and go on another ridiculous streak again.

Bozidar
07-11-08, 12:19 PM
No, the issue isn't recognition of the issues. I just think the reasons that any team (not just the Yankees) have for not signing him pale in comparison to what positives Bonds can bring to a team.you think the reasons pale..

the front office of all 30 teams in the MLB seem to disagree with you

I can't figure out why an independant minor league team hasn't picked him up to help him get in shape, draw some crowds, and sell some beer

Yankee Tripper
07-11-08, 12:37 PM
I can't figure out why an independant minor league team hasn't picked him up to help him get in shape, draw some crowds, and sell some beer
several have tried.
some with humours offers including his own barker lounger.
barry has publicly stated though his agent that he will no play in any indy league.

Hellsing
07-11-08, 12:54 PM
you think the reasons pale..

the front office of all 30 teams in the MLB seem to disagree with you

Why would the greatest hitter of the last 10 years accept ANYTHING other than a position in the major leagues? He belongs on the Yankees in the 3 hole protecting A-Rod.

Mr. Mxylsplk
07-11-08, 12:56 PM
several have tried.
some with humours offers including his own barker lounger.
barry has publicly stated though his agent that he will no play in any indy league.
I think Bonds is making a mistake in that regard. I understand, he's Barry Bonds, and a guy who's performed at that level shouldn't have to go that route. But assuming he was in shape and could still it, presumably at that level he'd be an absolute monster, and all the press and highlights on espn would make it more likely he'd attract some mlb attention, imo. But maybe all his baggage would keep him out no matter how many HR's he hit in podunk, in which case I guess there's no point.

Bozidar
07-11-08, 02:04 PM
Why would the greatest hitter of the last 10 years accept ANYTHING other than a position in the major leagues? He belongs on the Yankees in the 3 hole protecting A-Rod.exactly how is he going to protect a-rod with a-rod hitting behind him?

and why would "the greatest hitter of the last 10 years" (really, it's like the last 8) accept anything less than 15m/year, since he's only playing a half year and worth 30m/year?

nyyfanatic85
07-24-08, 02:13 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3503613

Co-chairman Hank Steinbrenner acknowledged he'd mention Bonds, the indicted home run king who became a free agent when the San Francisco Giants did not bring him back.

"I'll mention it. We'll cover everything," Steinbrenner said before the meetings began. "No stone will be left unturned."

webassign
07-24-08, 03:03 PM
Get it done Hank.

JavyVazquezIsSick
07-24-08, 03:07 PM
It would be so sweet if Hank went over Cashman's head and got this done.

yankeeman61
07-24-08, 03:07 PM
If Hank wants to let the media know he will mention Bonds (as a ploy to not put themselves in a bad bargaining position for a trade), then by all means let the media run with it.

Ynkcpt23
07-24-08, 03:08 PM
It would be so sweet if Hank went over Cashman's head and got this done.

"Sweet?" As in an "I'm letting your a** go in 3 months so I don't care about you think." kind of way?

Tifoso
07-24-08, 03:10 PM
Johhny
Cappy
Bobby
Bonds
Alex
Jason

Wow

jimmykey2
07-24-08, 03:11 PM
I would have no problem bringing on Barry Bonds if you could guarantee similar production to the past few years. Since that's impossible, he isn't worth the headaches that come along with his services.

Mr. Mxylsplk
07-24-08, 03:12 PM
Johhny
Cappy
Bobby
Bonds
Alex
Jason

Wow
#7 in that order ain't too shabby anymore either.

Tifoso
07-24-08, 03:12 PM
I would have no problem bringing on Barry Bonds if you could guarantee similar production to the past few years. Since that's impossible, he isn't worth the headaches that come along with his services.

But it isn't impossible.

He had zero hitting behind him with the Giants, and still had an OPS of 6. ( ;) )

Imagine having ARod and Giambi hitting behind him, with the short porch in right. He might hit 30 before the end of the season.

dont_ya_know24
07-24-08, 03:14 PM
if we sign bonds it means posada is out for the year.

1B giambi
DH/LF Bonds
DH/LF Damon

no place for posada, unless damon goes to center and bonds plays left every day which is not happening.

Tifoso
07-24-08, 03:15 PM

1B giambi
DH/LF Bonds
DH/LF Damon

no place for posada, unless damon goes to center and bonds plays left every day which is not happening.

I think JoPo is done for 2008. Hope I'm wrong.

Derek2HOF
07-24-08, 03:16 PM
I see no reason why we can't expect similar numbers from his last 3 seasons. .270/.400/.500 is very reasonable. Especially because he will have something to prove. He will be on a mission to prove everyone else wrong. Even w/o the PEDS he is one of the greatest talents this game has ever seen. Even if he is a $*%&.

jimmykey2
07-24-08, 03:17 PM
But it isn't impossible.

He had zero hitting behind him with the Giants, and still had an OPS of 6. ( ;) )

Imagine having ARod and Giambi hitting behind him, with the short porch in right. He might hit 30 before the end of the season.

What is that based on? He's really old and hasn't played a second of ball in 9 months. I'm not one of these silly people who says, "I can't have him on the team because he used steroids." I would take him in a second if I could guarantee the production. At this late stage in the season, I think it's asking too much of him.

Derek2HOF
07-24-08, 03:19 PM
I think JoPo is done for 2008. Hope I'm wrong.

I don't think he is coming back either.

teknetic
07-24-08, 03:20 PM
Johhny
Cappy
Bobby
Bonds
Alex
Jason

Wow

DiceK would probably last all of 3 innings against that lineup, mostly due to the fact he'll have accumulated 200 pitches by then.

But really; he probably won't mash the hell out of the ball, but I don't doubt for a minute he'd be able to see his fair share of pitches. For league minimum that's worth it's weight in gold. That lineup and our bullpen? how do you run away from that?

Yankee Tripper
07-24-08, 03:22 PM
What is that based on? He's really old and hasn't played a second of ball in 9 months. I'm not one of these silly people who says, "I can't have him on the team because he used steroids." I would take him in a second if I could guarantee the production. At this late stage in the season, I think it's asking too much of him.
As I have point out before he had no problem putting up .286/.404/.667 5HR line in 14 Spetember games in 2005 coming off majory surgery. Since he is not injured there is really little to suggest his could not come close to .276/.480/565 line he put up last year.

His OPB would probably drop becuase he won't be intentianally walked as much in the Yankee linup but the .270 AVE and .500+ slugging seem like very reasonable estimates.

Tifoso
07-24-08, 03:23 PM

He hit all those homers with no one (essentially) behind him. It's why he was walked a billion times.

Imagine having ARod, Giambi, Abreau, and a resurgent Cano behind him.

Wow

jimmykey2
07-24-08, 03:31 PM
He hit all those homers with no one (essentially) behind him. It's why he was walked a billion times.

Imagine having ARod, Giambi, Abreu, and a resurgent Cano behind him.

Wow

Perhaps you think I'm doubting Bonds' talent level, because I'm not. It's just that we can't automatically plug in those numbers without acknowledging all the variables... age, lack of competition, new league, etc.

mitch300
07-24-08, 03:33 PM
I have mixed emotions about having Bonds on the Yankees. I always hated the guy. However, as far as talent goes he can help the team. He is always patient at the plate and takes alot of pitches and as been noted before his OBS is very good.I would think maybe Bonds not having any options would be more of a good teammate instead of an Ahole. Their is always a large contingent of media in the clubhouse so adding anymore wouldn't really make a difference for those that say if the Yanks sign Bonds it would be a media circus.

TEPLimey
07-24-08, 03:37 PM

1B giambi
DH/LF Bonds
DH/LF Damon

Bonds for 1 season + healthy Posada next season

is better than

injured Posada DHing this season + 1/2 year of Posada next season

TEPLimey
07-24-08, 03:38 PM
Perhaps you think I'm doubting Bonds' talent level, because I'm not. It's just that we can't automatically plug in those numbers without acknowledging all the variables... age, lack of competition, new league, etc.

If Bonds can hit better than Sexson/Betemit/Mueller/Gardner, then he improves the team. If you question that he can outdo that goat rodeo, then I dont know what to tell you.

Tifoso
07-24-08, 03:41 PM
If Bonds can hit better than Sexson/Betemit/Mueller/Gardner, then he improves the team. If you question that he can outdo that goat rodeo, then I dont know what to tell you.

And I bet he could play a decent right field;)

Ynkcpt23
07-24-08, 03:49 PM

Goat rodeo??? Hmmm.

He likely instantly improves the lineup, absolutely no question. I start salivating just thinking about putting him in the middle of A-Rod, Giambi, Cano etc. Wow...

jimmykey2
07-24-08, 03:49 PM

Is Bonds going to be the backup catcher?

Seriously though, of course he can outhit those guys. Plus, the "reporter to team member" ratio will be 50:1. Is he going to outhit those guys enough to make all the other issues bearable? Based on the factors I've mentioned repeatedly, I'm not so sure. Some people here are dead certain he will put up similar numbers (minus the walks).

Tifoso
07-24-08, 03:50 PM
Goat rodeo??? Hmmm.

He likely instantly improves the lineup, absolutely no question. I start salivating just thinking about putting him in the middle of A-Rod, Giambi, Cano etc. Wow...

He improves them, they improve him (pitchers will at least occassionally have to pitch to him)

Jace
07-24-08, 03:50 PM
I'd love the probable improvement he would bring to our team. I do almost worry about the outside of play stuff. The booing on the road would probably be absurd. If he doesn't immediately succeed, he'll get booed like crazy at home too. The media firestorm would trump anything Arod has seen- and while normally i dont care about that, i feel like it could distract/disrupt the team. I feel like its kind of a Pandora's Box. I dont know what i would do

yankeetomer54
07-24-08, 03:51 PM
This is the move we need. I hate Barry but I will love him once he becomes a Yankee. He is definetly an upgrade on Gardner.

Tifoso
07-24-08, 03:52 PM
Is Bonds going to be the backup catcher?

Seriously though, of course he can outhit those guys. Plus, the "reporter to team member" ratio will be 50:1. Is he going to outhit those guys enough to make all the other issues bearable? Based on the factors I've mentioned repeatedly, I'm not so sure. Some people here are dead certain he will put up similar numbers (minus the walks).

He will almost certainly hit better than .212 (or .150 or whatever) ;)

Imagine him as Gardner's replacement (NB: I like Gardner).

No brainer. ;)

Ynkcpt23
07-24-08, 03:52 PM
He improves them, they improve him (pitchers will at least occassionally have to pitch to him)

After having no help in San Fran, he would feel like he had found heaven in our lineup. Sure! Pitch around him to get to Alex! Sounds good to me!

JDPNYY
07-24-08, 03:53 PM
I'd love the probable improvement he would bring to our team. I do almost worry about the outside of play stuff. The booing on the road would probably be absurd. If he doesn't immediately succeed, he'll get booed like crazy at home too. The media firestorm would trump anything Arod has seen- and while normally i dont care about that, i feel like it could distract/disrupt the team. I feel like its kind of a Pandora's Box. I dont know what i would do

He seems to be able to play through the boos. I don't see how people booing Bonds would affect other Yankees. The media is already intense, it would probably take the heat off other Yankee Players (ARod... others).

For the money it would cost, it's well worth the gamble... If he's a huge distraction, or can't hit... dump him.

Yankee Tripper
07-24-08, 03:54 PM
Some people here are dead certain he will put up similar numbers (minus the walks).
There are no guarantes but until evidence to contrary is presented I'll stick to the assumption that his numbers this year would be simlar to his numbers last year. It's not like last year was big decline year or red flag.

Rice14
07-24-08, 03:55 PM
I see no reason why we can't expect similar numbers from his last 3 seasons. .270/.400/.500 is very reasonable. Especially because he will have something to prove. He will be on a mission to prove everyone else wrong. Even w/o the PEDS he is one of the greatest talents this game has ever seen. Even if he is a $*%&.

How do you know he's off the PEDS? How do you know he wasn't using something over those last three years?

If he is off the PEDS, what makes you think he'll perform that well at 44 with a long layoff?

yankeetomer54
07-24-08, 03:56 PM
Barry's of the field issues will just give the Yankees more publicity and I do not think it is going to be a big issue.

Jace
He seems to be able to play through the boos. I don't see how people booing Bonds would affect other Yankees. The media is already intense, it would probably take the heat off other Yankee Players (ARod... others).

For the money it would cost, it's well worth the gamble... If he's a huge distraction, or can't hit... dump him.

Its definitely an exciting idea... I think with regards to the team, it might take the focus off baseball and kind of on a sideshow, although I could see it working out fine too. Its not like Barry deals with the media ok or anything though. I guess it could be really good for entertainment value

I think it would be helpful, I just want to make sure the team isnt torpedoed because i think they have just enough for a playoff spot anyway

yankeetomer54
I think if the Yankees bring him in and another starter along in a trade or maybe even Freddie Garcia then they are the top candidate to win the WS after the Angels.

jimmykey2
07-24-08, 03:57 PM

How will he not be a huge distraction?

If he hits, I could care less about that stuff. However, expecting an old man in a new league who hasn't faced ML pitching in a very longtime to hit seems to be asking a bit much IMO.

Tifoso
07-24-08, 03:57 PM
After having no help in San Fran, he would feel like he had found heaven in our lineup. Sure! Pitch around him to get to Alex! Sounds good to me!

And all the people behind him will see their Slugging go up, because he will always be on base.

Just to be clear:

I can't stand the guy
I would only do it as a half season rental (unless he knocks the cover off the ball, then who knows?)

Tifoso
07-24-08, 03:59 PM
I think if the Yankees bring him in and another starter along in a trade or maybe even Freddie Garcia then they are the top candidate to win the WS .

Fixed it for you:)

yankeetomer54
07-24-08, 03:59 PM
How funny would it be if Farve and Bonds come to New York. The two legends with alot of contreversy surrounding them come to the big apple.

Hobie
07-24-08, 04:00 PM
And all the people behind him will see their Slugging go up, because he will always be on base.

Just to be clear:
I can't stand the guy
I would only do it as a half season rental (unless he knocks the cover off the ball, then who knows?)

Slugging % is independent of base runners, no?

And I'm in the same boat as you: I dislike the guy but would like to see him in pinstripes as a cheap half year rental

JDPNYY
07-24-08, 04:00 PM
How will he not be a huge distraction?

If he hits, I could care less about that stuff. However, expecting an old man in a new league who hasn't faced ML pitching in a very longtime to hit seems to be asking a bit much IMO.

A distraction to the team.

I don't see that happenning. He'll be a distraction to himself, but he's used to that.

If he causes trouble, you release him.

It's really a no lose situation.

The Yankees are already hated everywhere, what's a little more hate gonna do?

yankeetomer54
07-24-08, 04:01 PM
Lineup with Bonds:
Damon
Jeter
Abreu
A-Rod
Bonds
Giambi
Cano
Melky
Molina

Tifoso
07-24-08, 04:01 PM
Slugging % is independent of base runners, no?

And I'm in the same boat as you: I dislike the guy but would like to see him in pinstripes as a cheap half year rental

Carp. What's the stat, then?:o

Tou know what I mean:D

yankeetomer54
07-24-08, 04:02 PM
^
^
^
That lineup looks pretty scary to me.

yankeeman61
07-24-08, 04:03 PM
For me, no amount of desperation for offense warrants putting Bonds in Yankee pinstripes. It may be fun to make out fantasy lineups and drool over potential numbers, but IMO it's not worth bringing in the ultimate selfish player, along with his bitterness and the circus when his best years are far behind him. He is now well into his 40's, hasn't played in 10 months and his body is breaking down. People are thowing projected numbers out there as if it were reality, but nobody really knows what he would provide at this point for the 2 month period.

I've never been one to care about what other fans have to say about the Yankees. We love 'em, they hate 'em and it's been like that forever. What I do care about is the legacy of players who don the pinstripes and while there have been a few "questionable" characters who have come through NY in the past, to me it would be beyond a sell out and beneath the Yankees to sign him. They're going to do what they think is necessary to win, but I wouldn't cheer for this guy, ever. I would certainly never consider him to be a Yankee.

Yankee Tripper
07-24-08, 04:03 PM
Carp. What's the stat, then?:o

You know what I mean:D
umm I think the stat you are looking for is RBIs ;)

Tifoso
07-24-08, 04:05 PM
Lineup with Bonds:
Damon
Jeter
Abreu
A-Rod
Bonds
Giambi
Cano
Melky
Molina

Damon
Jeter
Bonds
A-Rod
Giambi
Abreu
Cano
Melky
Molina

The L-R-L-R is kinda cool;)

Mr. Mxylsplk
07-24-08, 04:07 PM
If you question that he can outdo that goat rodeo, then I dont know what to tell you.
I'm not saying I'm starting a band anytime soon, but if I do, Goat Rodeo it is. And I assure you, you'll get proper credit. ;)

Tifoso

That'll work:D

DisabledMess
I feel that a lot of Yankees fans like the idea of Bonds coming to the Yankees because of his past history with hitting home runs but you don't know how much he lost and if he's still taking steroids.

Tifoso
07-24-08, 04:08 PM
I feel that a lot of Yankees fans like the idea of Bonds coming to the Yankees because of his past history with hitting home runs but you don't know how much he lost and if he's still taking steroids.

Test him. ;)

As part of his contract.

YASS
07-24-08, 04:11 PM
More precisely: RBI opportunities. But more opportunities generally translates into more RBIs.

YASS
07-24-08, 04:13 PM
Test him. ;)

As part of his contract.
He's already being tested by MLB. The concern with Bonds (and with some others) is that he's using a designer PED that can't be detected by the standard regimen of tests.

Tifoso
07-24-08, 04:15 PM
He's already being tested by MLB. The concern with Bonds (and with some others) is that he's using a designer PED that can't be detected by the standard regimen of tests.

They've found ways to find them now. See Riccardo Ricco (dip :mad: ) at the TdF.

Hi, amico mio, BTW ;)

sweet_lou_14
07-24-08, 04:16 PM
For me, no amount of desperation for offense warrants putting Bonds in Yankee pinstripes. It may be fun to make out fantasy lineups and drool over potential numbers, but IMO it's not worth bringing in the ultimate selfish player, along with his bitterness and the circus when his best years are far behind him. He is now well into his 40's, hasn't played in 10 months and his body is breaking down. People are thowing projected numbers out there as if it were reality, but nobody really knows what he would provide at this point for the 2 month period.

I've never been one to care about what other fans have to say about the Yankees. We love 'em, they hate 'em and it's been like that forever. What I do care about is the legacy of players who don the pinstripes and while there have been a few "questionable" characters who have come through NY in the past, to me it would be beyond a sell out and beneath the Yankees to sign him. They're going to do what they think is necessary to win, but I wouldn't cheer for this guy, ever. I would certainly never consider him to be a Yankee.

I'm with you, but we're hugely outnumbered it would seem.

I'm still ashamed that Jose Canseco got a ring with this team in 2000, but at least in that case I know it was a fluke that he ended up on the team, and the team would have won with him or without him.

yankeeman61
07-24-08, 04:21 PM

I'm still ashamed that Jose Canseco got a ring with this team in 2000, but at least in that case I know it was a fluke that he ended up on the team, and the team would have won with him or without him.

Yeah, he was one I was thinking of. He really didn't provide much of an impact and that was one of those George decisions. I want the Yankees to win, but I'm not a "win at all costs" type. IMO they lose some of their identity when they do things like this.

JeterForPresident
07-24-08, 04:25 PM

I'm with you guys too and I completely agree (maybe we should start the "No Bonds Club"), not every man to the wear pinstripes was perfect but with Bonds you get a guy you know is tainted goods and bring him as opposed to guys who were respected at the time like Ruth or Mantle.

DiMaggio5CF
07-24-08, 04:25 PM
Forget the steroid issue. Forget the everyone-loathes-him issue.

Why would we assume that a guy who turns 44 today, who hasn't played in 10 months can step in and, with no time to get in shape, play against guys who are in mid-season form?

Tifoso
07-24-08, 04:26 PM

Sheffield
Mo's cousin (what was his name?)
Carl Pavano

I think that'll do for starters ;) :D

JDPNYY
07-24-08, 04:26 PM

Why would we assume that a guy who turns 44 today, who hasn't played in 10 months can step in and, with no time to get in shape, play against guys who are in mid-season form?

I bet he can get on base more times that Brett Gardner can get on base.

Yankee Tripper
07-24-08, 04:27 PM
Yeah, he was one I was thinking of. He really didn't provide much of an impact and that was one of those George decisions. I want the Yankees to win, but I'm not a "win at all costs" type. IMO they lose some of their identity when they do things like this.It was an August waiver claim to keep him from being traded and the team who had him said good ridence you pay him. I don't think that was a George move.

Tifoso
07-24-08, 04:28 PM

Definitely a possibility.

You give him a month. No production=cut him.

Downside: salary 1/2 ML minimum. The Yanks pay more than that for clubhouse toilet paper

Upside: see posts above ;)

Hobie
07-24-08, 04:28 PM

If he can't: Who cares? It's just money (and pocket change at that), Yankees could cut ties.

If he can (which I believe he can at a reasonably productive rate): The Yankees have acquired an impact bat for league minimum.

I see this as a possible no risk/HIGH HIGH HIGH reward acquisition

yankeeman61
07-24-08, 04:29 PM

Talk about a contrast. In every way possible.

Tifoso

*ka-ching*

TEPLimey
Barry's of the field issues will just give the Yankees more publicity and I do not think it is going to be a big issue.
Hank, Hal, and Randy have to see the other bonus here:

If Bonds is signed, within hours Yankee Stadium will be sold out for a month.

Derek2HOF
07-24-08, 04:30 PM
Damon
Jeter
Bonds
A-Rod
Giambi
Abreu
Cano
Melky
Molina

If Bonds hits this is the one I like too.

DiMaggio5CF
07-24-08, 04:31 PM
Damon
Jeter
Bonds
A-Rod
Giambi
Abreu
Cano
Melky
Molina

1. Jeter, SS (R)
2. Cano, 2B (L)
3. Abreu, RF (L)
4. Rodriguez, 3B (R)
5. Bonds, DH (L)
6. Giambi, 1B (L)
7. Cabrera, CF (S)
8. Molina, C (R)
9. Damon, LF (L)

I understand that you move Cabrera and Molina up a spot, but you get Jeter leading off, a red-hot Cano between Jeter and Abreu, you avoid having three left-handed hitters back-to-back-to-back, you have Damon acting as a second leadoff man, and you keep the lineup almost exactly the same when you put Gardner in left batting ninth to give Damon a day off.

It would probably be done with Damon leading off and Jeter second (I think yankeetomer54 got it exactly right), but this is the way I would do it with Bonds on the team.

But then again, I don't want Bonds here anyway.

scooterfan
07-24-08, 04:32 PM

Count me in with you guys as well.

Honestly, I'd prefer missing the playoffs without Bonds to winning the whole shebang with him.

Second, I still don't see how we expect a 44 year old guy to perform at the level he performed at in 2007, given that he hasn't played since then

Bonds didn't even hit particularly well in September - admittedly it was a small sample size (30 ABs), but he had an OPS around .730

A corner outfielder would just make a lot more sense.

Hopefully Hank just threw a quote to a reporter.

What gives me hope - IF the Yankees were really considering Bonds, I think they would have signed him a week or two ago, and had him rehabbing in Tampa.

Heyman is also pretty convinced there's no interest in Bonds

Tifoso
Hank, Hal, and Randy have to see the other bonus here:

If Bonds is signed, within hours Yankee Stadium will be sold out for a month.

*ka-ching, parte due*

genius-24
I will take Bonds.
Im telling u, once yanks start losing and we can't hit ANYTHING, everyone will go, yea we should have gotten bonds.

yankeeman61
It was an August waiver claim to keep him from being traded and the team who had him said good ridence you pay him. I don't think that was a George move.

I do remember it was August waivers. I also remember Torre tactfully saying wtf did we get this guy? I doubt that was a Cashman move, even as a defensive measure. The faction was in full swing back then.

DiMaggio5CF
07-24-08, 04:33 PM
If he can't: Who cares? It's just money (and pocket change at that), Yankees could cut ties.

If he can (which I believe he can at a reasonably productive rate): The Yankees have acquired an impact bat for league minimum.

I see this as a possible no risk/HIGH HIGH HIGH reward acquisition

If he can't, this team loses valuable games while he's an automatic out in the middle of the lineup.

EDIT: And even though he's currently unemployed with apparently no suitors, I still think it will take much more than the league minimum to sign Bonds.

THEBOSS84
07-24-08, 04:34 PM
Let's go Barry! Clap, clap, clap, clap, clap.

yankeeman61
07-24-08, 04:35 PM
If he can't, this team loses valuable games while he's an automatic out in the middle of the lineup.

EDIT: And even though he's currently unemployed with apparently no suitors, I still think it will take much more than the league minimum to sign Bonds.

Not to mention there are enough DH's including Giambi and Damon and now Sexson

Tifoso
07-24-08, 04:35 PM

On this I stand firm: not a nickle more. (And I am by no stretch of the imagination, a salary-worrier)

YASS
07-24-08, 04:36 PM
They've found ways to find them now. See Riccardo Ricco (dip :mad: ) at the TdF.

Hi, amico mio, BTW ;)
Good afternoon, young man.

Sure, the cycle dope hounds find a lot of things that MLB won't find. They take and keep blood samples for later testing, they look for blood doping, etc. They use the most sophisticated testing strategies that the state of the art provides.

MLB doesn't. IIRC, they haven't changed their test regimen since testing began. It's not at all unreasonable to suspect they're being fooled pretty regularly.

JDPNYY
07-24-08, 04:36 PM

He's already said he would play for the minimum... and would donate that salary to buy tickets for kids.

yankeeman61
07-24-08, 04:37 PM
Let's go Barry! Clap, clap, clap, clap, clap.

"You're no Yank-ee!" Clap-clap, clap-clap-clap.

Tifoso
07-24-08, 04:37 PM
Good afternoon, young man.

Sure, the cycle dope hounds find a lot of things that MLB won't find. They take and keep blood samples for later testing, they look for blood doping, etc. They use the most sophisticated testing strategies that the state of the art provides.

MLB doesn't. IIRC, they haven't changed their test regimen since testing began. It's not at all unreasonable to suspect they're being fooled pretty regularly.

Gee, I hope not.:(

Tifoso
07-24-08, 04:38 PM
He's already said he would play for the minimum... and would donate that salary to buy tickets for kids.

Now see, that's just perfect.

Tifoso
07-24-08, 04:39 PM
He has to be told that Yankees do NOT watch HR's (or at least, shouldn't)

yankeeman61
07-24-08, 04:40 PM

If he really wants to help the kids, why would he only want the minimum salary? What a guy!

Yankee Tripper
07-24-08, 04:41 PM
Not to mention there are enough DH's including Giambi and Damon and now Sexson
Yes but with one of them DHing we have 3 black holes in the line-up 4 if you count Sexon.

With Barry at DH (assuming he can still hit) you only have the Melky/Molina holes and Melky can get hot occasionaly.

yankeeman61
07-24-08, 04:42 PM
Yes but with one of them DHing we have 3 black holes in the line-up 4 if you count Sexon.

With Barry at DH (assuming he can still hit) you only have the Melky/Molina holes and Melky can get hot occasionaly.

If they can't win with a $200M roster of their choosing, then I guess it's time to admit some very bad decisions were made. It certainly doesn't mean you try to rectify it with another bad decision ;)

genius-24
07-24-08, 04:43 PM
If he really wants to help the kids, why would he only want the minimum salary? What a guy!
otherwise no one would be willing to acquire him?

basically, he has to look both ways.

yankeeman61
07-24-08, 04:44 PM
otherwise no one would be willing to acquire him?

basically, he has to look both ways.

Bingo! And yet, still no offers.

Mr. Mxylsplk
07-24-08, 04:51 PM
It really borders on the implausible to think he wouldn't at least be no more of an automatic out than whoever he replaced in the lineup. The bottom of our lineup is too much dreck for even an ineffective Bonds to not be at least that good. Barry Bonds is going to under-produce Brett Gardner or Wilson Betemit to such an extent that it costs us games? Obviously he'd need some time at AAA, but c'mon. The bar's been set pretty darn low.

yankeesrule2000
07-24-08, 04:53 PM
Say NO to Bonds!

THEBOSS84
07-24-08, 06:07 PM
When Bonds is on trial "Former Yankee Barry Bonds on trial"

I still want him.

yankeez08
07-24-08, 06:20 PM
I want barry bonds on my baseball team. The guy can rake, and you know it damn well.

Rice14
07-24-08, 06:40 PM
I want barry bonds on my baseball team. The guy can rake, and you know it damn well.

And it's perfectly natural for a guy his age to rake like that.

I'm sure he's totally clean.

YankeeZim
07-24-08, 06:42 PM
No to Bonds, AKA pariah.

teknetic
07-24-08, 06:47 PM
And it's perfectly natural for a guy his age to rake like that.

I'm sure he's totally clean.

I'm sure he'll have fun hitting that big green thingamabopper you guys have up there in Boston :)

The media ****storm that will follow will be hilarious and hell it's not like the Yanks don't get trashed anyhow.

bmxstreetrider86
07-24-08, 06:56 PM
anyone who complains about the yankees offense and then says that the dont want bonds on this team is just lying to themselves

there no more efficient way to improve this team

dkman
07-24-08, 07:18 PM
It really borders on the implausible to think he wouldn't at least be no more of an automatic out than whoever he replaced in the lineup. The bottom of our lineup is too much dreck for even an ineffective Bonds to not be at least that good. Barry Bonds is going to under-produce Brett Gardner or Wilson Betemit to such an extent that it costs us games? Obviously he'd need some time at AAA, but c'mon. The bar's been set pretty darn low.

And if he does suck, you cut him and his league minimum salary. It's really very simple. And that's impossible anyway. Gardner has an OPS+ of 15. FIFTEEN. Betemit is at 84. Bonds could do that in his sleep.

Tifoso
07-24-08, 07:20 PM
And if he does suck, you cut him and his league minimum salary. It's really very simple.

Exactly

YanksFan1992
07-24-08, 07:26 PM
I've said it in this thread a few times, but I'll say it again:

If Bonds can prove it would take him 2 weeks or less to be back in playing shape, I would be completely okay with signing him.

For those of you worried that the rest of the country will hate the Yankees even more, most fans already hate us at such a significant level that this wouldn't change it much. All I can say, is embrace the hate. :NY:

yankeeman61
07-24-08, 08:07 PM
anyone who complains about the yankees offense and then says that the dont want bonds on this team is just lying to themselves

there no more efficient way to improve this team

Anyone who doesn't realize that $200M should buy you a good hitting team with depth, but is convinced a 44-year old who hasn't played in 10 months can save the season is just a sign of desperation.

Sometimes the best way to improve your team is to learn from your mistakes and not repeat them.

dont_ya_know24
07-24-08, 08:40 PM
how many kids do you think are going to come calling barry bonds asking for tickets? having said that, $150,000 can still buy lots of tickets. ;)

glenel
07-24-08, 08:53 PM
Is Bonds gonna' end-up in the Bronx ?

NPK

CT-Yankee
07-24-08, 08:57 PM
Clemens,Giambi, Pettitte, Sheffield, now Bonds? I think we have had our share of these guys. Bonds would sign for one reason...his ego. You have heard and read all the rest about him.
No one knows how effective he would be anyway.

dont_ya_know24
07-24-08, 09:02 PM
3 threads for some one who isn't even on this team?w/e

i wouldn't count on it just because hank mentioned him in the meeting...

teknetic
07-24-08, 09:04 PM
He'd be better than Gardner and Melky, possibly combined.

continentalg5
07-24-08, 09:07 PM
I assume you mean with a bat, because there is no way that guy could play defense.

yankeeman61
07-24-08, 09:14 PM
how many kids do you think are going to come calling barry bonds asking for tickets? having said that, $150,000 can still buy lots of tickets. ;)

Yes, and I'm sure it would be delivered with all of the sincerity, generosity and genuineness that Bonds is known for ;)

YanksFan1992
07-24-08, 09:17 PM
Already a couple of pretty active threads on this topic.

http://forums.nyyfans.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127

CT-Yankee
07-24-08, 09:17 PM
He'd be better than Gardner and Melky, possibly combined.

He would only DH though and that has been fairly productive. So you would take away someone out of the lineup and it wouldn't be those outfielders.
Steriods or no, I would have a real hard time cheering for Bonds in pinstripes.

sweet_lou_14
07-24-08, 09:19 PM
Please make the Bonds threads stop.

-tz
07-24-08, 09:21 PM
Anything but stocks! :eek:

http://users.erols.com/kcoblenz/Stocks.JPG