PDA

View Full Version : Any Interest In Shawn Chacon?

YanksFan1992
06-25-08, 10:01 PM
He was suspended today by Houston after demanding a trade. He hasn't been that great so far this year but he's better than Ponson and after getting suspended probably wouldn't take much to get.

Would anyone else be interested in him?

R.V.47
06-25-08, 10:03 PM
I like him better than Ponson, but I dont think he will come close to what he gave us in 2005.

NYYDragoon
06-25-08, 10:03 PM
Only if it's suddenly 2005 again.

Chacon
06-25-08, 10:04 PM
He had behavioral issues with the Yankees also so pass.

R.V.47
06-25-08, 10:06 PM

I never heard that. What did he do?

nyyfanatic85
06-25-08, 10:06 PM
Might as well pick him off the scrap heap- let's see if we can catch lightning in a bottle again :)

Chacon
06-25-08, 10:08 PM
I never heard that. What did he do?
Never heard the story of Joe Torre ripping him a new one in front of the whole team? I don't know much beyond that.

bigjf
No interest in him. None whatsoever. Nope Nope Nope.

Mark19
I'll always cherish the time he came out of the bullpen after his lost his starting job. The Rangers had the bases loaded with no outs and Shawn struck out the first guy on three pitches and then got the DP to end the threat. He had some great days for us. It is a shame he fell apart so quickly.

R.V.47
06-25-08, 10:10 PM
Never heard the story of Joe Torre ripping him a new one in front of the whole team? I don't know much beyond that.

Nope never heard that story, does anyone know why Torre ripped him?

hellonewman
06-25-08, 10:17 PM
Nope never heard that story, does anyone know why Torre ripped him?IIRC, it came after an interleague game in Washington. The Yankees had a big lead and Chacon proceeded to piss it away, falling behind and walking hitters. After the game Chacon whined to the press about how unfair it was for Torre to pull him, and I guess Torre didn't take too kindly to that.

As I recall he had other issues here, but that's the one that stands out.

I'd still take him over Ponson, but I wouldn't give the Astros jack.

YanksFan1992
06-25-08, 10:26 PM
IIRC, it came after an interleague game in Washington. The Yankees had a big lead and Chacon proceeded to piss it away, falling behind and walking hitters. After the game Chacon whined to the press about how unfair it was for Torre to pull him, and I guess Torre didn't take too kindly to that.

As I recall he had other issues here, but that's the one that stands out.

I'd still take him over Ponson, but I wouldn't give the Astros jack.

Maybe we can give them Ponson. :lol:

dont_ya_know24
06-25-08, 11:20 PM
wouldn't give him anything, but would pick him off the scrap heap and get rid of ponson and rasner if he keeps pitching poorly...

southernNYYfan
06-25-08, 11:22 PM
:lol: he choked out Ed Wade, he gets some points in my book. I would take him for basically nothing, he isn't worth anything substantial...

Yankeesfan811
06-25-08, 11:28 PM
better than Sidney Ponson.....

Betences or Ian will be in the spot soon hopefully

Yankeesfan811
06-25-08, 11:30 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3461058

YIKES!

stupidpunchline
06-26-08, 12:21 AM
Imagine if Chacon tried to do that to Kyle Farnsworth.

Let's Go Yanks
06-26-08, 12:28 AM
So he threw this guy:

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20071212/capt.321891d187cc448082f1449da84865c8.astros_tejada_baseball_hta101.jpg

to the ground.

Wow.

Hellsing
06-26-08, 01:05 AM
So he threw this guy:

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20071212/capt.321891d187cc448082f1449da84865c8.astros_tejada_baseball_hta101.jpg

to the ground.

Wow.

His face makes me want to kill a kitten. I understand why Chacon did it.

However...no to Chacon. NO MORE RE-TREADS!!
No to Ponson.
No to Chacon.
No to a clone of Aaron Small.
Yes to the Kids in the Farm.
Yes to Sabathia.

NYYMazda
06-26-08, 04:29 AM
I would not enjoy Chacon choke-slamming Cash Money or any other front office people. No thanks. Plus, um, he sucks?

Yankees1962
06-26-08, 05:48 AM
I would not enjoy Chacon choke-slamming Cash Money or any other front office people. No thanks. Plus, um, he sucks?
I would be shock if Chacon pitches again in the ML this season and I have doubts for next year too. His talent isn't good enough to overcome the backlash he's going to get for physically attacking a GM that is 20 years older than him. Major league GMs are a small and tight group of executives and I can't see any of them wanting this type of individual on their ballclub that has attacked one of their own. Wade's behavior in this incident is in question too, but once Chacon placed his hands on Wade, he really "screwed the pooch".

apalradio
06-26-08, 06:23 AM
Here's a classic case of having better alternatives in our farm system. Chacon just isn't very dependable.

silverdsl
06-26-08, 08:19 AM
Getting Ponson was bad enough, I don't see how the Yankees could pick up Chacon. No matter how angry Wade made him it's astonishing that Chacon actually grabbed him by the neck and threw him to the ground. I don't see any team taking a chance on him after that.

PinstripeDynasty
06-26-08, 08:25 AM
It's hard to believe Ed Wade has a job after what he did in Philadelphia.

BRNXBMRS
06-26-08, 08:41 AM
Been there done that, he was lighting in a bottle. Unless Ponson totally blows himself up how is he going to help the MLB club? There are a few guys in AAA that deserve chances before the retread garbage gets a turn.

cupcollector99
06-26-08, 08:47 AM
Wow, I liked the kid too but I think they should pass. Last thing they need is MLBs version of Sprewell with less talent.

brosiusbuddy
06-26-08, 08:56 AM

Did he punch a judge? Because if its anything short of that, I see no reason why the Yankees wouldn't sign him.

JL25and3
06-26-08, 09:22 AM
I'm sorry, but this made me laugh:

So at that point I lost my cool and I grabbed him by the neck and threw him to the ground. I jumped on top of him. Words were exchanged.

brosiusbuddy
06-26-08, 09:25 AM
Did he punch a judge? Because if its anything short of that, I see no reason why the Yankees wouldn't sign him.

I didn't realize he had his GM incident at the time I posted this. I now ask myself, what's worse punching a guy that can put you in jail or choking a guy that can fire you?

themgmt
06-26-08, 06:56 PM
As a hitman, maybe.

hellonewman
06-26-08, 09:15 PM
better than Sidney Ponson.....

Betences or Ian will be in the spot soon hopefullyBetances is years away ...

By the way, Chacon has been released.

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hnrC1jGxdQ9tzrk8aRyNdWNHK-ng

HOUSTON, Texas (AFP) The Houston Astros released righthander Shawn Chacon on Thursday, one day after he was suspended for physically attacking the club's general manager Ed Wade.
If Chacon clears waivers, he will be released without pay, Wade said during a news conference at Minute Maid Park.

AcidLake
06-26-08, 09:18 PM
Dallas Cowboys will pick him up, don't worry

NelsonMuntz
06-26-08, 09:31 PM
A 1.50 WHIP and an 83 ERA+ pitching in the NL, plus a bad attitude to boot. No thanks.

NelsonMuntz
06-26-08, 09:35 PM
IIRC, it came after an interleague game in Washington. The Yankees had a big lead and Chacon proceeded to piss it away, falling behind and walking hitters. After the game Chacon whined to the press about how unfair it was for Torre to pull him, and I guess Torre didn't take too kindly to that.
I was at that game. The offense spotted him a big lead and he proceeded to walk the park. Couldn't throw a strike if his life dependend on it. Torre had every right to yank him and to take umbrage with his comments.

BillBuckner
06-26-08, 09:37 PM
I'll never forget what he did for us in 2005. But he just isn't that much of an improvement over what we already have now.

Derek2HOF
06-26-08, 09:53 PM
He will have a nice second career in professional wrestling

MassNYYfan
06-26-08, 10:28 PM
ROCK BOTTOM!
ROCK BOTTOM!
ROCK BOTTOM!
ROCK BOTTOM!
ROCK BOTTOM!

/wwe

suha
06-29-08, 06:06 PM
I may be in a minority here, but I think the Yanks should sign Chacon. I think one thing he's proved is that he definitely cares about winning, and he's also proven that he can win as a Yankee, including in the playoffs. Plus, with 3 or 4 exceptions, he has pitched quite well this year, which I think might be why he was so out of line with Wade--if you look at Houston's rotation, Chacon has been as good or better than most of their starters all year outside of the past 3 weeks. EDIT: and yet, he's the one who got demoted to the pen. Honestly, despite his inexcusable behavior, he did have a legitimate gripe.

4bronxbombers
06-29-08, 06:09 PM
I'll never forget what he did for us in 2005. But he just isn't that much of an improvement over what we already have now.

Totally agree. We really need another solid starter - not someone who is mediocre - we already have that.

dont_ya_know24
06-29-08, 10:14 PM
right now, i would rather him than rasner or giese.

ColoradoGuy
06-29-08, 10:51 PM
I'll always cherish the time he came out of the bullpen after his lost his starting job. The Rangers had the bases loaded with no outs and Shawn struck out the first guy on three pitches and then got the DP to end the threat. He had some great days for us. It is a shame he fell apart so quickly.
Yes, yes, yes, what a great memory!

I would only pick him up from the scrap heap if he shows signs of genuine repentance after assaulting Houston's GM. His poor attitude with the Astros was inexcusable.

Brick Tamland
06-30-08, 10:44 AM
He's better than what we have pitching every fifth day with Rasner and Giese. I'm not saying Rasner can't be a 5th starter, because I think he can be, but Chacon has proven he can pitch in NY and pitch effectively. Give him a shot, he's better than what we've got.

primetime714
06-30-08, 12:45 PM
A minor league contract would make a lot of sense. Otherwise I'd probably pass. I certainly like him a lot more than Ponson though and still like Chacon a lot for the great memories he provided in 2005.

It seems so often we're referring to guys like Rasner, Giese, and even Ponson as the Aaron Small's and Chacon's of this year. It wouldn't hurt to give the real Chacon another shot.

Can't say I'm overconfident, but it certainly couldn't hurt to add another option when our 4th and 5th starters are Rasner and Ponson with Giese as the backup option.

Dustin563
06-30-08, 12:50 PM
I agree with the minor league contract and giving him a shot as the fifth starter. The league has figured out Giese and Rasner. I'm not suggesting that Chacon would be a major improvement, but he has a more proven resume.

R.V.47
06-30-08, 01:50 PM
Heard on WFAN this morning that Chacon still has a pretty close friendship with Derek Jeter and Jeter has lobbied on his behalf. I dont think you could find a better person to lobby on your behalf if your Chacon but I still think the yanks pass on this one.

Pinstripe Pride23
06-30-08, 08:55 PM
Didn't Chacon have a near 6.00 ERA facing the minor league competition in the NL? What does that translate to against major league hitters? 7.50? Pass. Please Cash. Pass.

primetime714
06-30-08, 09:43 PM
Let's definitely go after Freddy Garcia, but if we sign Chacon as well I wouldn't be against that. Garcia is a guy we should definitely sign though.

dont_ya_know24
06-30-08, 10:48 PM
if freddy is still "pumping" 82 mph fastballs, then no to him. hopefully he has regained that velocity, whatever it was. (?)

RogerYY
07-01-08, 07:39 AM
Right, I don't know why Chacon choke-slammed his manager, but was the cause so easily understood by most people? Like did his manager say: " Hey, I want to f--k your daughtor and l--k her all over."? If what irrated Chacon wasn't that obvious, then his joining the great Yankees would set up a negative example to the young generation for sure. (Hey, I can do that and still get a job at the Yankees.) Comparing to that, a win really isn't that important.

Mary1966
07-01-08, 03:26 PM
I didn't realize he had his GM incident at the time I posted this. I now ask myself, what's worse punching a guy that can put you in jail or choking a guy that can fire you?

I have read all sorts of things about the "punching a judge" incident. People talk like Sidney attacked a judge in his courtroom. The incident took place on a beach, and Sidney did not find out the guy was a judge until afterwards.

NelsonMuntz
07-01-08, 04:18 PM
Didn't Chacon have a near 6.00 ERA facing the minor league competition in the NL? What does that translate to against major league hitters? 7.50? Pass. Please Cash. Pass.
Yes. He's terrible.

primetime714
07-01-08, 04:21 PM
if freddy is still "pumping" 82 mph fastballs, then no to him. hopefully he has regained that velocity, whatever it was. (?)

Didn't everyone say the exact same thing about Colon? Freddy says his arm is feeling really good right now and is looking to sign a deal within the next month. He won't contribute until late August at the earliest, but if he regains his old form he is a clutch pitcher who could help us out as we make our final push for the playoffs. There's relatively no risk either.

Chacon barring a revival of 2005 doesn't offer that kind of potential reward, but it wouldn't hurt to sign him either.

GoYanks
07-01-08, 10:54 PM
I'd pass.

JohnnyDamonfan
07-01-08, 10:56 PM
How many homeruns can he hit? And can he hit with RISP?

effdamets
07-02-08, 10:37 AM
How many homeruns can he hit? And can he hit with RISP?
...but more emphasis on the latter!

bigjf
07-02-08, 01:54 PM
With Jeter's endorsement, I won't scream if they take him, but it should be a minor league deal first because his numbers haven't shown any confidence in him.