PDA

View Full Version : Pavano on the way back before Hughes?

Big_E
06-24-08, 10:59 AM
NY Post Article (http://www.nypost.com/seven/06242008/sports/yankees/pavano_may_return_before_phil_116865.htm)

Dropping him into the clubhouse might prove to be too much of a challenge, but there is a chance Carl "American Idle" Pavano could be ready to pitch for the New York Yankees before Phil Hughes.

"I haven't asked, but it's possible," GM Brian Cashman said last night. "Pavano should be ready by August and Hughes in August."

Considering Pavano, who is trying to rebound from last year's Tommy John surgery, is throwing curveballs off a mound and Hughes (fractured rib) isn't even on a mound, Pavano would be considered ahead of Hughes.

THEBOSS84
06-24-08, 11:03 AM
It's a dumb George King article that tries to get your attention. The last quote was:

"The rehabs are different," Cashman said. "Phil Hughes will start throwing from flat ground, but it won't be as long (as Pavano's)."

That's all you needed to know.

primetime714
06-24-08, 11:05 AM
NY Post Article (http://www.nypost.com/seven/06242008/sports/yankees/pavano_may_return_before_phil_116865.htm)
Considering Pavano, who is trying to rebound from last year's Tommy John surgery, is throwing curveballs off a mound and Hughes (fractured rib) isn't even on a mound, Pavano would be considered ahead of Hughes.

Pavano may technically be considered ahead of Hughes, but does anyone actually believe that Pavano will be healthy on schedule? And if he is do we really want him pitching for us anyway? I'd be more inclined to let him rot away in the minors for the rest of the year and that's assuming he is ever healthy this year which is an assumption I certainly don't feel comfortable making.

yankeeman61
06-24-08, 11:06 AM
Dropping him into the clubhouse might prove to be too much of a challenge, but there is a chance Carl "American Idle" Pavano could be ready to pitch for the New York Yankees before Phil Hughes.

"I haven't asked, but it's possible," GM Brian Cashman said last night. "Pavano should be ready by August and Hughes in August."

Several things here made me laugh.

Martini6196
06-24-08, 11:06 AM
Pavano may technically be considered ahead of Hughes, but does anyone actually believe that Pavano will be healthy on schedule? And if he is do we really want him pitching for us anyway? I'd be more inclined to let him rot away in the minors for the rest of the year and that's assuming he is ever healthy this year which is an assumption I certainly don't feel comfortable making.

I disagree with you. If he is healthy and can give the Yankees some quality starts down the stretch I'm all for it. They might as well try and get as much out of the $40 million they spent on him.

CommerceComet
06-24-08, 11:10 AM
I'd be more inclined to let him rot away in the minors for the rest of the year and that's assuming he is ever healthy this year which is an assumption I certainly don't feel comfortable making.As satisfying as keeping him in the minors would be, if Pavano could help the Yankees, then I say pitch him. And at the end of that season, then again I say pitch him (of course, in an entirely different sense). :)

jeterlove
06-24-08, 11:11 AM
"I haven't asked" = freaking hilarious

effdamets
06-24-08, 11:14 AM
"I haven't asked" = freaking hilarious
It should be more like, "I don't have to ask...."

Brick Tamland
06-24-08, 11:16 AM
If he is healthy enough to start why not. It is tempting to just let him rot away in AAA, he certainly deserves it, but if he can give you 6 IP every 5th day, why not use him given the Yankees current pitching situation.

NYIndian2005
06-24-08, 11:21 AM
It would be really crazy if Pavano came back and gave good starts for the yanks and uses it as leverage to sign another contract somewhere else. Hate for the yankees to give him that oppurtunity but I would not be surprised given the way things have gone for us lately.

hardrain
06-24-08, 11:22 AM
The hatred that Cash must feel deep down for Pavano must be intense.

grizy
06-24-08, 11:25 AM
It would be really crazy if Pavano came back and gave good starts for the yanks and uses it as leverage to sign another contract somewhere else. Hate for the yankees to give him that oppurtunity but I would not be surprised given the way things have gone for us lately.

Positive thinking. If he starts well for us, sweet. Someone else's problem next year. If he doesn't do well, we just nailed his career ensuring him a trip to a lifetime of mediocrity.

Nothing to lose IMO. I still would be shocked to see him in pinstripes this season though.

BRNXBMRS
06-24-08, 11:31 AM
The next time Pavano sees the yanks it'll be on tv or from another teams dugout.

False1
06-24-08, 11:33 AM
The next time Pavano sees the yanks it'll be on tv or from another teams dugout....from a wheelchair in a buttocks cast looking at the screen with his one uninjured eye.

Pinstripe Pride23
06-24-08, 12:09 PM
...from a wheelchair in a buttocks cast looking at the screen with his one uninjured eye.

:roflmao: :roflmao:

Cheesyhoboe
06-24-08, 12:20 PM
I like the timing of this article considering that Hughes is set to start rehabbing in the GCL tomorrow. That's the NYPost for you.

webassign
06-24-08, 12:31 PM
I hope we can squeeze whatever is left out of Pavano before his contract is over.

Hellsing
06-24-08, 12:43 PM
Don't rush Hughes. If Pavano can come back and be a quality starter, great. Glass Carl has been a bust, but if he can pitch quality innings and get some wins, great. I would take Pavano over Karstens OR Ponson.

YASS
06-24-08, 01:02 PM
I hope we can squeeze whatever is left out of Pavano before his contract is over.
I don't think you'd like what comes leaking out of Pavano if you squeeze him.

Yankee Tripper
06-24-08, 01:06 PM
Anything Pavano can give us is pure gravey at this point. I supported him in 06 when I thought he could help us in September, I supported him in 07 when I thought he might finally be a part of the rotation but after last year I've given up on him.

If he does pitch for NYY this year, fine and like others I'd prefer him to Ponson, Karstens or Igawa but frankly much like Mike Hampton with ATL, I'll believe it when I believe it. That is until he actually throws a pitch off an MLB mound in an MLB game to an opposing batter, I'll just assume he won't throw one MLB inning all season.

YanksFan1992
06-24-08, 01:14 PM
The hatred that everyone must feel deep down for Pavano must be intense.

Fixed. ;)

It'll be news if he's ever actually on the Yankee Stadium mound again, but until then I'll be sceptical.

webassign
06-24-08, 01:14 PM
I don't think you'd like what comes leaking out of Pavano if you squeeze him.
You'll never find out what's there unless you're willing to get your hands dirty. ;)

fellows
06-24-08, 01:15 PM
Carl and Igawa would make a great 1-2 punch in Scranton.

PinstripeDynasty
06-24-08, 01:18 PM
Carl and Igawa would make a great 1-2 punch in Scranton.

Don't forget Ponson. YES should follow them around and give them their own reality show.

webassign
06-24-08, 01:19 PM
Don't forget Ponson. YES should follow them around and give them their own reality show.
I would watch that show every week.

Hellsing
06-24-08, 01:22 PM
It'll be news if he's ever actually on the Yankee Stadium mound again, but until then I'll be sceptical.

This is impossible. The instant he touched the mound, the celestial being known only as Carl Pavano would implode causing a ripple effect across the galaxy which would cause the universe to 'snap-back', i.e. reverse Big Bang.

R.V.47
06-24-08, 01:24 PM
For all the frustration Pavano has caused I root for the uniform and wouldnt mind it if he came back and pitched well. However, that doesnt mean I would give him a new contract.

Brick Tamland
06-24-08, 01:26 PM
For all the frustration Pavano has caused I root for the uniform and wouldnt mind it if he came back and pitched well. However, that doesnt mean I would give him a new contract.

Good God no. New contract? Crazy talk. If he has to be a Yankee until his contract expires, I'd just like to see him succeed tossing some decent innings in the bigs for his 40M.

Edit: I realize you weren't saying give him one under any circumstances, but the mere mention of it is pure insanity.

PeteRFNY
06-24-08, 01:27 PM
*I* have a better chance of pitching for the Yankees this year. At least I'm not injury prone.

ARoDfan4life
06-24-08, 01:28 PM
Who is this Pavano people speak of ?

hardrain
06-24-08, 02:27 PM
There is no way Pavano ever pitches again for the Yanks.

Jglaubman
06-24-08, 02:31 PM
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::lol::lol::lol::lol::-rofl-::-rofl-::-rofl-::-rofl-:

YASS
06-24-08, 02:31 PM
There is no way Pavano ever pitches again for the Yanks.
I wouldn't be so sure, Phil. Injuries happen. Pitchers that are pitching well in the first half suddendly stop being effective. If Pavano is available to pitch and a spot opens up, I can totally see him getting a few starts in September.

effdamets
06-24-08, 02:32 PM
I wouldn't be so sure, Phil. Injuries happen. Pitchers that are pitching well in the first half suddendly stop being effective. If Pavano is available to pitch and a spot opens up, I can totally see him getting a few starts in September.
He won't be ready until November. :D

YASS
06-24-08, 02:33 PM
He won't be ready until November. :D
In that case, I'm thinking his chances go down just a little. :)

effdamets
06-24-08, 02:34 PM
In that case, I'm thinking his chances go down just a little. :)
I think the question should be... "Does Carl WANT to pitch this season?"

YASS
06-24-08, 02:35 PM
I think the question should be... "Does Carl WANT to pitch this season?"
Give him the ball and don't give him any excuses. He won't need to want to.

effdamets
06-24-08, 02:36 PM
Give him the ball and don't give him any excuses. He won't need to want to.
You won't have to hand him any excuses.

He already has them all!

Yankee Tripper
06-24-08, 02:37 PM
There is no way Pavano ever pitches again for the Yanks.If Sidney Ponson can find his way back to the stadium in pinstripes, anything is possible.

Ynkcpt23
06-24-08, 02:40 PM
If Sidney Ponson can find his way back to the stadium in pinstripes, anything is possible.

Man is that the truth...

hardrain
06-24-08, 02:40 PM

Maybe you're right. After all, he IS a quick healer...

ynkefan23
06-24-08, 03:02 PM
who is Carl Pavano?

Yankee Tripper
06-24-08, 03:05 PM
who is Carl Pavano?He's a mythological figure who is sometimes rumored to be rehabing at various Yankee complexes. see also Yeti and Hymalayas.

hardrain
06-24-08, 03:05 PM
who is Carl Pavano?

He's under federal indictment for embellezing $40 million from a New York based business conglomerate. see also "money laundering" "racketeering"

Slioman
06-24-08, 04:02 PM
The question is if the Yankees make the playoffs and Pavano's superb pitching help lead them there, do you pitch him in the playoffs?

/Pipedream

ynkefan23
06-24-08, 04:16 PM
The question is if the Yankees make the playoffs and Pavano's superb pitching help lead them there, do you pitch him in the playoffs?

/Pipedream

I can't even figure out HOW to answer this.

sweet_lou_14
06-24-08, 04:22 PM
I can't even figure out HOW to answer this.

Carl Pavano, World Series MVP. If offered, I would sign up for that in a heartbeat.

Of course, it could be one of those space/time continuum things where if Pavano gets the World Series MVP, then Mahmoud Ahmadinejad somehow becomes president of the United States.

So maybe it's a bad idea after all.

knickfan23
06-24-08, 04:25 PM
Pavano is still on the Yankees?

Where have all of the years gone by? I'm too young to be suffering from a case of alzheimers.

YASS
06-24-08, 04:26 PM
Carl Pavano, World Series MVP. If offered, I would sign up for that in a heartbeat.

Of course, it could be one of those space/time continuum things where if Pavano gets the World Series MVP, then Mahmoud Ahmadinejad somehow becomes president of the United States.

So maybe it's a bad idea after all.
If that happens, facial hair will be mandatory. That wouldn't sit well for George or Hank.

R.V.47
06-24-08, 09:45 PM
All things considered, If I have to choose between Rasner, Giese or Pavano Im tempted to take Pavano based on the fact that Rasner seeems to be falling back to earth and Giese will likely follow suit after a few starts.

nyyfanatic85
06-24-08, 09:52 PM
Pavano is going to save our season man!!

E-Rod
06-24-08, 09:56 PM
If Pavano pitches for the Yankees, i hope they put a rotation with Pavano, Igawa and more 3 random pitchers, will be very fun to watch.

nyyfanatic85
06-24-08, 09:59 PM
If Pavano pitches for the Yankees, i hope they put a rotation with Pavano, Igawa and more 3 random pitchers, will be very fun to watch.

How about Roger Clemens, David Wells, and Chase Wright rounding out the rotation? Heh. :D

R.V.47
06-24-08, 09:59 PM

It would be hysterical but at the same time I wouldnt mind seeing a rotation of Wang ( If he comes back), Joba, Andy, Moose, Pavano. Thats a deeper rotation than we currently have.

continentalg5
06-24-08, 10:11 PM
Why don't they just force him out into the mound right now. Who cares that he hasn't fully "recovered."

Live life on the wild side Pavano!

Ynkcpt23
06-24-08, 10:23 PM
It would be hysterical but at the same time I wouldnt mind seeing a rotation of Wang ( If he comes back), Joba, Andy, Moose, Pavano. Thats a deeper rotation than we currently have.

Oddly enough that thought makes me somewhat hopeful--it keeps Hughes and IPK in AAA recovering and getting outings without the glaring lights until the end of the year roster expansion. There would be nothing wrong with that...all Pavano hate aside (and I'm including myself as one of the haters--$40 million for what, eight games officially pitched?--he deserves the scorn.) I would have no problem with the dips*** signing of the history of the Yankee organization actually getting a chance to perform.

ksison
06-25-08, 09:25 AM
Carl Pavano only pitches in world series..... he's waiting for the Yanks to get there

SoCal Pinstriper
06-25-08, 02:22 PM
If Sidney Ponson can find his way back to the stadium in pinstripes, anything is possible. Beat me to it. If that doesn't indicate the desperation with which Cashman is currently operating then nothing does. Any live body who might get a few outs and won't cost us prospects will be thrown out there. There was no real backup plan for this season, and we are witnessing the result.

BroadwayBomber55
06-26-08, 12:40 AM
How about Roger Clemens, David Wells, and Chase Wright rounding out the rotation? Heh. :D
Let's add Denny Neagle. Oh wait, Neagle is out of baseball. nvm *wearing dunce cap*

BroadwayBomber55
06-26-08, 12:41 AM
Pavano is going to save our season man!!
Carl Pavano is going to save our season...as a what? A starter? Long reliever? 8-inning guy? Mop up reliever in blowout games win or lose?

bigjf
06-26-08, 10:27 AM
Carl Pavano is going to save our season...as a what? A starter? Long reliever? 8-inning guy? Mop up reliever in blowout games win or lose?

Girardi is going to force feed him all the ice cream, donuts, etc. that Moose wins back in the clubhouse, that way the rest of the team can't get to it.

JoePepitonesHair
06-26-08, 08:14 PM
The Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, and Santa Claus will show up at the Stadium before Pavano does

just-blaze
06-26-08, 11:17 PM
Here's a tough one for Yankee fans.....

If Pavano comes back pitches a couple of important games in September to get us in the playoffs, THEN has a Beckett type run in the playoffs.....

Number 27 comes to the Bronx. World Series MVP.

Would his previous 3.5 years be forgiven? Forgotten, even?

THEBOSS84
06-26-08, 11:20 PM

If Pavano comes back pitches a couple of important games in September to get us in the playoffs, THEN has a Beckett type run in the playoffs.....

Absolutely, 100%

-tz
06-26-08, 11:26 PM

Would his previous 3.5 years be forgiven? Forgotten, even?In a heartbeat!

It would be good for global warming, too, since all the cold air seeping out of Hell would probably lower the earth's mean temperature by a few degrees.

Dave B
06-27-08, 01:20 AM

No.

That's so unlikely it's hardly worth considering, because even if he did have heart and guts he's not that good a pitcher anyway. But if it did, it'd just make me even madder about the previous 3.5 years.

There is one thing that would make me forgive Pavano, though it's probably an even bigger longshot:

Calling a press conference to apologize and volunteering to earn some of his money by pitching next year for free (or league minimum, I guess). Better would be two years at league minimum, possibly with some incentives tossed in for the 2nd year.

If I was a teammate I could respect that. No shot that it happens, though.

just-blaze
06-27-08, 01:26 AM
No.

That's so unlikely it's hardly worth considering, because even if he did have heart and guts he's not that good a pitcher anyway. But if it did, it'd just make me even madder about the previous 3.5 years.

There is one thing that would make me forgive Pavano, though it's probably an even bigger longshot:

Calling a press conference to apologize and volunteering to earn some of his money by pitching next year for free (or league minimum, I guess). Better would be two years at league minimum, possibly with some incentives tossed in for the 2nd year.

If I was a teammate I could respect that. No shot that it happens, though.

Id give it healthy odds that it could happen............1%.

I think its likely he'll pitch in pinstripes before the year is over and IF we make the postseason I think it likely he would contribute. He is capable.

All that being said......the over/under on misc. injuries that he will have after he pitches a game is probably 5....... and the team needs another good arm in the bullpen and another good arm in the rotation to hold down the fort until the DL squad comes back. So making the playoffs will be tough.

So....your right the scenario I gave is HIGHLY unlikely.

effdamets
06-27-08, 10:23 AM
Id give it healthy odds that it could happen............1%.

I think its likely he'll pitch in pinstripes before the year is over and IF we make the postseason I think it likely he would contribute. He is capable.

All that being said......the over/under on misc. injuries that he will have after he pitches a game is probably 5....... and the team needs another good arm in the bullpen and another good arm in the rotation to hold down the fort until the DL squad comes back. So making the playoffs will be tough.

So....your right the scenario I gave is HIGHLY unlikely.
I don't think there is ANY chance of Pavano being on the post season roster.

Ynkcpt23
06-27-08, 10:29 AM
I don't think there is ANY chance of Pavano being on the post season roster.

I'll take that bet! First because it's predicated on the idea of the Yankees actually making the postseason, which I like, and second, Pavano being a postseason hero in the Bronx is almost as likely as Aaron Boone or Scott Brosius...hmmm. I know that I'm being ludicrous, but it's still fun to think about...:D

bigjf
06-27-08, 10:58 AM

Not only would he be forgiven, but he would have been worth every penny on his contract.

Brick Tamland
06-27-08, 11:14 AM

Yeah of course if he brought a championship back to the Bronx. But this is the most outrageous scenario ever concieved so I'm going to say the Mariners have a better chance of winning the WS than Pavano has of becoming the WS MVP.

bobbymagee
06-27-08, 01:24 PM
Mattpat11 , where are you? Nyuk, nyuk!!!;)

YankeesAce4Life
06-27-08, 01:50 PM

I'd forgive the guy if they won the WS and he was able to contribute in a dominant way. I doubt that'll happen, but some crazier things have happened (Boston winning 2 WS's).