PDA

View Full Version : Cano for Penny?

yank4life2005
06-11-08, 08:48 PM
From another board supposedly by Gammons.

Peter Gammons on Baseball Tonight said the Dodgers were looking to trade Brad Penny and that there was talk between the Dodgers and Yankees of swapping Cano and Penny but Gammons then said "I don't think that is going to happen".

THEBOSS84
06-11-08, 08:49 PM
Wow that may be the worst trade proposal I've ever seen.

R.V.47
06-11-08, 08:51 PM
Maybe if we throw Joba in we can get Jason Shmidt.

teknetic
06-11-08, 08:51 PM
I wonder if Pedroia didn't play in a bandbox, would Gammons make a similar comment about the Sox and Dodgers talking about a deal?

Yankees13
06-11-08, 08:52 PM
Penny would be a disaster in the AL.

JavyVazquezIsSick
06-11-08, 08:53 PM
In Gammons dreams. I'd make that trade if they threw in Loney and Kemp

Prison Mike
06-11-08, 08:57 PM
I'd become a Rays fan.

smckdwn989
06-11-08, 09:00 PM
gammons wishes the yankees would get rid of cano. that troll.

WeekendWarrior
06-11-08, 09:02 PM
no no no no

CJTaKoZ26
06-11-08, 09:03 PM
Do Not Want

just-blaze
06-11-08, 09:04 PM
I thought this was a trade proposal by someone here........Penny, Broxton, LaRoche for Cano/Veras.......after we line up another trade for a 2b........I might do that.

bmxstreetrider86
06-11-08, 09:14 PM
i think this was the direct quote:

"last night i had this dream that the yankees traded robinson cano for brad penny. then i woke up and realized it would be a good idea to stop smoking PCP"

YanksFan1992
06-11-08, 10:00 PM
Not in a million years.

False1
06-11-08, 10:25 PM
How about no, Scott.....

primetime714
06-11-08, 10:31 PM
Trading Cano now would be the pinnacle of stupidity. His value has never been lower in his major league career. However for some reason all of these Cano trades are popping up. Abraham wants us to trade him along with IPK and Betances for Sabathia when we can just sign him in the offseason.

Now Brad Penny??? What!?!?!?!

A 25 year old 2B with a career OPS+ of 111 is not someone we should be looking to trade unless it is for a really good young player.

His value to the Yankees is increased by the fact that he is our only really good offensive player under the age of 30. And with a minor league system that is focused on pitching and has few promising offensive prospects above low A he becomes even more important.

Prison Mike
06-11-08, 10:38 PM
Trading Cano now would be the pinnacle of stupidity. His value has never been lower in his major league career. However for some reason all of these Cano trades are popping up. Abraham wants us to trade him along with IPK and Betances for Sabathia when we can just sign him in the offseason.

If somebody trades for CC, he's not reaching free agency. The days of rental players are gone.

Yankeesfan811
06-11-08, 10:51 PM
yes, yes please trade our best young talent for an older arm......

who would get lit up in the AL East by the way.

Prison Mike
06-11-08, 10:54 PM
yes, yes please trade our best young talent for an older arm......

who would get lit up in the AL East by the way.

Care to elaborate why?

If you think CC gets lit up in the ALE, who doesn't?

YASS
06-11-08, 11:05 PM
If somebody trades for CC, he's not reaching free agency. The days of rental players are gone.
Exactly. If Sabathia is traded, it'll be contingent on him signing an extension. If he's dealt this year, he's no longer available.

O'Neill's 3b + E
06-12-08, 12:30 AM
I understand the outrage but let's take a step back and count to ten.

This trade (that almost certainly would never happen) might make sense for some in that the Dodgers would be trading a very good, albeit struggling awfully starting pitcher for a very good, albeit struggling position player.

Penny who just turned 30 last month posted an ERA+ of 150 last season and has won 32 games over the past two. Since 2004 he's ranged from anywhere to solid middle rotation starter to excellent number 2 or 1. Granted he doesn't get many Ks and his stuff may not translate well to the AL East but we can't assume the guy is crap for 1/3 an awful season when a year ago he finished third in the Cy Young race.

I wouldn't do the trade... but to suggest that it's a rip off is foolish. To suggest that LA would have to throw in Loney is just wacko.

SoCal Pinstriper
06-12-08, 12:36 AM
I like Abraham's idea better.

EDIT: Not saying that I want to dump Cano, but it will take quality to get quality, and if CC can be signed during a window before the deal is official, I would be for it.

just-blaze
06-12-08, 12:48 AM
I wouldn't do the trade... but to suggest that it's a rip off is foolish. To suggest that LA would have to throw in Loney is just wacko.

It is a ripoff.......he isnt young anymore and is likely on the decline for a young cost controlled 2b with great defense and a career OPS+ 111.

just-blaze
06-12-08, 12:52 AM
Care to elaborate why?

If you think CC gets lit up in the ALE, who doesn't?

He's getting lit up in the NL West......

flymick24
06-12-08, 12:55 AM
lol why does anybody quote gammons anymore?

hasn't he proven, especially this year, that he makes sh*t up at random times to sound like he's actually in the know and has sources? on at least 3 separate occassions, players that gammons has mentioned this season as potentially being traded (i.e. roy oswalt, gil meche, etc) were questioned, and every time, the players responded with a "where the hell did he ever get that idea?"

it's time to retire, peter

wang+cano=future
06-12-08, 09:27 AM
Oh Gammons.....

JohnnyDamonfan
06-12-08, 09:32 AM
Trading our second baseman when we don't even have a man who can play second base full time is the height of a stupid idea. By the way this Sabathia thing tell me where to sign for this trade. I don't care if he's a free agent this year. This is our chance to get him before some other team like the Red Sox can take him away from us during the offseason.

And Prison Mike I am almost sure that Yankeesfan811 is talking about trading for Penny. Not trading for CC. Trading for CC would probably end up helping us in the long run. But trading for Brad Penny like he said will probably end up being lit up.

JOBA RULES
06-12-08, 10:15 AM
I'm not ready to give up on Cano yet

primetime714
06-12-08, 10:17 AM

I wouldn't be too sure. He's gotten this close to FA why wouldn't he wait another half season? The team that acquires him will have an early start on negotiations, but he would be foolish to sign an extension unless the team that acquires him simply blows him away with an offer. In fact he'd probably be smart not to negotiate at all during the season. FA will allow him to get the deal he wants and to play for whichever team (that is offering the money he wants) he wants. What reason would he have to sign an extension? I could see him signing one with Cleveland because he supposedly loves playing there, but he has no loyalty to a team acquiring him that would give him cause to relinquish the leverage that FA will give him.

Abe Frohman
06-12-08, 10:19 AM
Jesus christ, Gammons is such an idiot.

primetime714
06-12-08, 10:27 AM
Exactly. If Sabathia is traded, it'll be contingent on him signing an extension. If he's dealt this year, he's no longer available.

As I just stated in my last post. I totally disagree. Sabathia holds all the cards right now and he'd be a fool to walk away from FA just because someone traded for him in the middle of his walk year. It makes little sense for him. I think if he is traded he'll be traded to contending team with no promises of an extension. The contending team will take the chance that he can help them win now and that they'll hopefully be able to re-sign him when he does hit FA. Even in that situation teams like the Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, Angels, and Dodgers would probably have interest. They wouldn't be giving up the same packages that were offered for Santana, but they'd still give up a decent haul for him and hope they can re-sign him and worst case scenario they'd still get two picks.

Kennedy, Tabata, and maybe two more prospects works for me.

Cano? No way. He is our only good offensive player under the age of 30. People complain about having a team of aging, overpaid veterans. Well if we continue to trade young talent like Cano that's the only way we'll be able to fill a lineup. Plus prior to this year few would've even considered it. Don't jump off the bandwagon so quickly. Everyone has a bad year here and there. Cano is still a future middle of the order bat.

shadyridr
06-12-08, 10:30 AM
Without reading the rest of the thread Ill just say the Yanks would be idiots to do this and if it happens I wont be a Yankee fan anymore. That being said I doubt this rumor is even close to true.

Hellsing
06-12-08, 10:49 AM
Penny + Loney + Kemp

for...

Cano + IPK

OR

Melky + IPK + 1 (IDK who)

Who plays 2nd? Wilson Bootamit?

ARoDfan4life
06-12-08, 10:56 AM
Penny + Loney + Kemp

for...

Cano + IPK

OR

That would never happen. That is one of the most ridiculous trade proposals I've read here. And if Robi Cano wasn't traded for Johan what makes you think they will do an about face. Like it or not Robi is struggling but he's not going anywhere.

Hellsing
06-12-08, 11:18 AM
That would never happen. That is one of the most ridiculous trade proposals I've read here. And if Robi Cano wasn't traded for Johan what makes you think they will do an about face. Like it or not Robi is struggling but he's not going anywhere.

Are you attached to Cano by the hip?

Penny isn't the 2nd coming, but you're not getting Loney & Kemp w/o a young SP in the trade.

Cano *IS* a VERY good player, but you get back 2 YOUNG cost-controlled players that can fill 2 positions next year. (CF + FB) Penny is a throw in, and as much as think IPK can be a good starter, I would toss him in to get the 2nd prospect. (Loney)

It's not going to happen, but that's what it would take. A straight up trade for Penny isn't smart.

BTW...Cano is a guy *I* would never trade, but if I *HAD* to trade Cano, it would have to net me 2 young players in return.

Are you ok with trading Melky + IPK + 1 for Loney + Kemp + Penny? They get a young pitcher that can be very good and a guy that can play CF. Yankees get a #3 starter that has the potential to dominate a lineup and 2 future fixtures at CF and FB.

Yankee Tripper
06-12-08, 11:49 AM
So the Yankees should literally trade Cano for pennies?

hardrain
06-12-08, 12:42 PM
Cano for Penny. Someone is tripping here. But Gammons didn't actually say he thought this would happen.

DontHateOnNumber2
06-12-08, 12:52 PM
Penny for Cano? No cannot have.

smckdwn989
06-12-08, 12:52 PM
Cano for Penny. Someone is tripping here. But Gammons didn't actually say he thought this would happen.

no because old man gammmons made it up.

Martini6196
06-12-08, 01:30 PM
Cano for Brad Penny? That is actually the funniest thing I've heard all day.

MaximMan121
06-13-08, 03:09 PM
Penny + Loney + Kemp

for...

Cano + IPK

OR

If we could trade Cano and IPK for Penny, Loney, and Kemp, I'd crap my pants with glee.

We'd be ripping the dodgers apart. This trade isn't even close to fair.

bmxstreetrider86
06-13-08, 10:02 PM
If we could trade Cano and IPK for Penny, Loney, and Kemp, I'd crap my pants with glee.

are you serious?

Prison Mike
06-13-08, 10:05 PM

No way. I like Kemp a lot, but Loney's just a singles hitting 1B.

KeithF40
06-14-08, 04:33 AM
NO WAY!!!!

Cano at his lowest value, Penny probably also too. So its a wash there.

Cano=110 OPS+(career)
Penny=107 ERA+(career)

Very close there call it a wash.

Cano is a little over 4 years younger, huge advantage.

Penny has been in NL whole career, and NL west for about half of it. Cano has been in the AL east his whole career, although he has had help by being in the Yankees lineup. Advantage Cano.

Penny makes 9.25M this year, has an option next year, don't know what the terms of that are.
Cano makes 3M this year, plus we got him for 3 more years where he is arbitration eligible, not sure what the numbers on that are gonna be.
If we trade for Penny we are gonna have to give him at least 16M a year that will probably end out his career in pinstripes, he's 30 already. Figure 6 years maybe, he'll be done by then most likely, may even be on a decline towards the end of that contract.
Cano after three more years of getting him on the cheap we then get to sign him to a large FA contract, but we still get 3 years cheap out of him and then get to sign a 29 year old to a long term contract.
Advantage Cano.

Also Cano is a postion player at a very important defensive position, 2B. Third most important position most likely after SS and C, although some people might put it second after SS.
Advantage Cano.

Yankees need SP more than hitting.
Advantage Penny.

The Yankees aren't going anywhere this year, sorry. We are building for the future, get 2 out of the Joba/IPK/Hughes trio along with Wang and 2 FAs and we got a nice rotation next year. Maybe Mussina or Pettitte comes back and pitches well or we get the third piece to that trio involved and we are looking good SP wise for a long time, plus we still got Cano along with the rest of the positional players, a strong minor league pitching system, and enough players to slowly bring up one every couple years to keep the team fresh. I like our chances in the coming years. With this team we should still make a run for the playoffs and maybe get hot at the right time and win it but don't trade away our future, there are plenty of good SP but are there plenty of good 2B, the answer is no, plus we get three more cheap years of Cano to see what kind of player he finally emerges into.

nnysiny
06-14-08, 10:01 AM
Penny has a 5.38 ERA in the NL West. if youre going to trade Cano, at least get something of value in return

teknetic
06-14-08, 10:08 AM
Penny has a 5.38 ERA in the NL West. if youre going to trade Cano, at least get something of value in return

Not to mention he's a far different (in a bad way) pitcher in the second half.

AcidLake
06-14-08, 05:20 PM
Penny got shelled by Tiggers. 6 runs in 4 IP

Prison Mike
06-15-08, 10:27 AM
Penny's having an MRI on his shoulder- sorry Peter, this ain't happening.

yankeeman61
06-15-08, 10:59 AM
Penny's having an MRI on his shoulder- sorry Peter, this ain't happening.

Yep, just read this from my fantasy site:

Penny has lost five straight starts and has not won since May 2. Penny said he felt discomfort while warming up in the bullpen Saturday. He's been bothered by a sore shoulder for most of the season and has been taking pain medication before every start since early in the year. "I knew I probably shouldn't have went out there," Penny said. "But that would have put the team in a horrible position." He's scheduled to fly back to Los Angeles on Sunday for a MRI on Monday. Penny had made some progress in his first two June starts (3.75 ERA) after getting lit up for a 8.82 ERA in May. But now we know why Penny has struggled this season.

I think it's time to lock this one up and throw away the key

Abe Frohman
06-15-08, 11:04 AM
seriously ... this rumor is pretty ridiculous. I wouldnt trade Cano unless we

were completely fleecing another team in the trade.

MaximMan121
06-16-08, 01:34 AM
are you serious?

Dude, I love Cano. Really.

I just bought my first Yankee jersey three weeks ago--and even with his current season, it's a 24.

But Kemp has all the makings of a fantastic outfielder, Loney is a solid 1B, and that's an area of need for us over the intermediate to long term, and Penny would sure be nice to take over a spot in our now decimated rotation (yeah, this trade looks even better with the injury to Wang).

Are you really saying Cano is worth more than that haul? Because Kennedy sure ain't holding this deal up.

And yes, the huge issue with this trade is that we'd be opening a large hole on our roster. That'd be tough to swallow, no lie. But for Loney and Kemp, I'd probably do it anyhow.

surge511
06-16-08, 01:58 AM
Cano for Penny would probably be the worst trade of the Cashman era.

MaximMan121
06-16-08, 09:13 AM
Cano for Penny would probably be the worst trade of the Cashman era.

Undoubtedly. I don't think anyone's arguing that trade either way anymore.