PDA

View Full Version : Hawkins being shopped

ARoDfan4life
06-11-08, 09:32 AM
Hawk For Sale

The Yankees are aggressively shopping right-hander LaTroy Hawkins, two rival executives say, intending to clear a spot for a reliever who currently is at Class AAA. Righty J.B. Cox, who missed all of last season after undergoing elbow-ligament transplant surgery, is one candidate; he began the season at Class A, but has since moved to AAA, where he has allowed one run in 12 1/3 innings. Righty David Robertson, who began the season at AA, also has been impressive at AAA. Hawkins, signed to a one-year, $3.75 million free-agent contract, has a 6.08 ERA in 22 appearances . . .

(source) (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8233548/To-win-now,-Dodgers-could-deal-Kemp-)

YankeePride1967
06-11-08, 09:34 AM
Good luck. If the Yanks want to unload Hawkins, they'll likely have to eat his salary.

YASS
06-11-08, 09:35 AM
Good luck. If the Yanks want to unload Hawkins, they'll likely have to eat his salary.
It's not such a big bite.

BRNXBMRS
06-11-08, 09:40 AM
This is from a Denver newspaper on 6/1/08

LaTroy Hawkins' future is becoming increasingly uncertain with the Yankees. He's been too inconsistent. If the Rockies climb back to respectability, his return would make sense. But for now they are waiting on the return of Luis Vizcaino and Kip Wells in a few weeks.
http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_9434594

Yankees13
06-11-08, 09:41 AM
Might as well DFA him, is 2 million for 1 year a big deal? I doubt we get anything for him.

JavyVazquezIsSick
06-11-08, 09:42 AM
Ummmm, just DFA him and be done with it.

JOBA RULES
06-11-08, 09:44 AM
what a horrific signing this was in the beginning...everyone knew Latroy would be terrible I don't know what cash was thinking

THEBOSS84
06-11-08, 09:44 AM
This is similar to the Tavarez situation. The Sox let word out that he's being shopped, noone wanted him and then he got DFA'd. Same will happen here.

swityak11
06-11-08, 09:48 AM
Ummmm, just DFA him and be done with it.This.

ARoDfan4life
06-11-08, 09:53 AM
This is similar to the Tavarez situation. The Sox let word out that he's being shopped, noone wanted him and then he got DFA'd. Same will happen here.

IDK don't count out Colorado. ;)

hardrain
06-11-08, 09:56 AM
thankfully it's a one-year contract

ShaneTravis
06-11-08, 10:42 AM
Is there a market for a 6 Era reliever?

JOBA RULES
06-11-08, 10:46 AM
bye bye Latroy....please leave ASAP...Robbie should take 22 back...

primetime714
06-11-08, 11:26 AM
I can't see any team trading for him unless he turns things around and right now he isn't pitching much for us so that's unlikely to happen.

Might as well DFA him, but I can't fault the team for double checking if anyone would trade something for him. If we're going to eat the salary might as make sure we can't get something for doing so.

The good news is that Latroy either way is likely gone pretty soon, so let's all celebrate that.

THEBOSS84
06-11-08, 11:28 AM
I can't see any team trading for him unless he turns things around and right now he isn't pitching much for us so that's unlikely to happen.

Might as well DFA him, but I can't fault the team for double checking if anyone would trade something for him. If we're going to eat the salary might as make sure we can't get something for doing so.

Well since he will likely not be able to add anything to his current value over the next 10 days or so, why not DFA him regardless?

primetime714
06-11-08, 11:47 AM
Well since he will likely not be able to add anything to his current value over the next 10 days or so, why not DFA him regardless?

I wouldn't have a problem with it. I think the Yankees are preparing to DFA him, but want to at least double check if they can get anything in return for him even though they probably know that's unlikely.

Either way it looks like he'll be gone soon. I can wait a few more days as I think our bullpen has done a decent job and can wait a little longer before we call up another arm from AAA especially if it is Robertson or Cox as more innings in AAA won't hurt either of them.

DontHateOnNumber2
06-11-08, 11:55 AM
Shopped? He should've never been picked up by the Yankees. He was inconsistent with Baltimore, was pretty shaky with the Rockies as well. That being said most teams see how he performs and likely won't give anything of value to acquire him. Like previous posters have said, just DFA him.

dan66
06-11-08, 11:58 AM
Hawkins could have value to a NL team as he did well last year for the Rockies. If Colorado somehow climbs back into the division race maybe a deal could be worked out to get Spilborghs with Hawkins being a piece.

groovitude
06-11-08, 12:11 PM
Shopped? He should've never been picked up by the Yankees. He was inconsistent with Baltimore, was pretty shaky with the Rockies as well. That being said most teams see how he performs and likely won't give anything of value to acquire him. Like previous posters have said, just DFA him.
I wouldn't say his brief tenure with the Rockies was shaky -- he posted a 140 ERA+ last season with them. I'd sign up for that any day of the week from my middle relief.

Speaking of which, that might explain his signing. The only people who bested that ERA+ last season out of our bullpen was Mariano Rivera (142), Ross Ohlendorf (157), Mike Myers (168), Ian Kennedy (236), and Joba Chamberlain (1192). Of those, only Rivera and Ohlendorf were intended to stay in the bullpen over the full course of this season. (That, and we all know what a joke Myers's ERA and ERA+ are; he allowed 19 inherited runners to score as a Yankee last season in mostly one-batter appearances.)

YankeesAce4Life
06-11-08, 12:33 PM
I wouldn't say his brief tenure with the Rockies was shaky -- he posted a 140 ERA+ last season with them. I'd sign up for that any day of the week from my middle relief.

Wait, wait...so you're telling us that you'd sign up Hawkins because he had 1 decent year even with his track record of being pure garbage? :lol:

TinoFan84
06-11-08, 02:58 PM
I don't care if they trade him or DFA him ... just make him go away ... and if he wants to take Farnsworth with him ... and Pavano ... I should stop now :lol:

Hellsing
06-11-08, 03:01 PM
What moron is going to take Hawkins from the Yankees and what are you going to get for him?

Yankyfan
06-11-08, 03:12 PM
Hated this move from the start... I wouldn't be a told you so guy but I saw this one going bad from the start...

groovitude
06-11-08, 03:13 PM
Wait, wait...so you're telling us that you'd sign up Hawkins because he had 1 decent year even with his track record of being pure garbage? :lol:
What track record of being "pure garbage"?

His ERA has been better than league average every year since 2002. Since 2000, he has averaged an ERA+ of 151.

Has he underperformed this year? Lamentably, yes. But you can't seriously tell me that he has had just "one decent year" unless you're relying solely on memory and aren't looking at his numbers.

Yankee Tripper
06-11-08, 03:36 PM
I'll take the garbage that produced ERA+ of 210, 243, 167, 113, 102 & 140 please.

groovitude
06-11-08, 03:39 PM
I'll take the garbage that produced ERA+ of 210, 243, 167, 113, 102 & 140 please.In case anyone's curious, those are not cherry-picked numbers -- those are Hawkins's last six seasons in order.

NYYRules#1
06-11-08, 03:52 PM
Replacing Hawkins with Cox should be quite a step up.

That said, Hawkins is a better pitcher than what he's showing. Whether he can turn it on in the Bronx or not eventually is a different story - given the amount of decent to good relievers who have come to the Yanks and then crashed and burned while here, I doubt that he'll turn it around in pinstripes, given his lousy start here.

Ynkcpt23
06-11-08, 03:56 PM
In case anyone's curious, those are not cherry-picked numbers -- those are Hawkins's last six seasons in order.

No wonder he thought he should take Paul O'Neill's # then, he's the next coming of Gossage! :P

Blazer
06-11-08, 03:58 PM
Trade him to Seattle for Richie Sexson. Sexson is hitting .324/.390/.595 with 3 HR in 37 AB against LHP and the Yanks sorely need a big RH in the lineup against lefties.

He's also got 3 career HR against the Angels Joe Saunders who undoubtedly the Yanks would face if the two teams face each other in the playoffs.

NYYRules#1
06-11-08, 03:59 PM
I'll take the garbage that produced ERA+ of 210, 243, 167, 113, 102 & 140 please.

He's far beyond his days of producing 210 and 243 ERA+, which came with the Twins in 2002 and 2003 respecitvely. The 167, 113, and 140 all came in the NL (with weaker lineups, of course - even adjustments for league don't totally mask the differences when it comes to relievers, especially ones on better teams such as the Cubs and Rockies), and the 102 came when he was with Baltimore and put up a 4.48 ERA.

They're not bad numbers by any stretch, and they do show that he can be a decent pitcher (and was good years ago), but he's not as good as those bare numbers are letting on.

YanksFan1992
06-11-08, 04:45 PM
It would be great to get rid of him, if some foolish team though he was worth something.

webassign
06-11-08, 04:46 PM
Trade him to Seattle for Richie Sexson. Sexson is hitting .324/.390/.595 with 3 HR in 37 AB against LHP and the Yanks sorely need a big RH in the lineup against lefties.

He's also got 3 career HR against the Angels Joe Saunders who undoubtedly the Yanks would face if the two teams face each other in the playoffs.
huge contract and a billion strikeouts

groovitude
06-11-08, 05:04 PM
No wonder he thought he should take Paul O'Neill's # then, he's the next coming of Gossage! :P
I'm not saying that Hawkins is pitching to expectations, nor am I saying that right now, I wouldn't rather have someone like JB Cox pitching for the Yankees. What I am saying is that his track record is not the track record of someone who is "pure garbage" as someone else so assured. For a middle reliever, knowing what we knew going into this season, he was a very good pickup.

He's far beyond his days of producing 210 and 243 ERA+, which came with the Twins in 2002 and 2003 respecitvely. The 167, 113, and 140 all came in the NL (with weaker lineups, of course - even adjustments for league don't totally mask the differences when it comes to relievers, especially ones on better teams such as the Cubs and Rockies), and the 102 came when he was with Baltimore and put up a 4.48 ERA.

They're not bad numbers by any stretch, and they do show that he can be a decent pitcher (and was good years ago), but he's not as good as those bare numbers are letting on.A well-reasoned, well-put together point. Even with these considerations in mind, though, that 4.48 ERA was better than league average; as recently as two years ago, he was able to cut it in the AL East. If he pitched to expectations, even with your considerations in mind, he would still be a servicable middle reliever, which is what he was signed to be.

Like I said, I'm not really advocating for LaTroy Hawkins; I'd much rather have that serviceable middle reliever we expected rather than what we got. What I'm saying is that it's certainly difficult to forsee someone who has had a fairly solid track record of above-average ERAs to implode quite like he did.

BRNXBMRS
06-16-08, 09:16 AM
Give this guy a chance.

173 Ks in 127 innings

That's what David Robertson has done in his brief minor league career. Oh yes, he's only allowed 68 hits too. His numbers are all types of crazy.

He's currently making hitters look foolish at AAA, striking out 34 in 24 innings with a BA against of .170.

We eagerly await his callup.

http://www.nomaas.org/

YankeesAce4Life
06-16-08, 11:25 AM
Give this guy a chance.

There shouldn't even be a hesitation to bring this guy up. I don't know what the problem is.

R.V.47
06-16-08, 12:58 PM
Give this guy a chance.

I hope Hawkins is gone soon but its probably more likely that Ohlendorf gets sent down if he struggles in the near future and Robertson gets a call.

continentalg5
06-16-08, 03:36 PM
I really hope they open up their eyes, and bring Robertson up, and send down Ohlendorf and/or get rid of Hawkins.

BRNXBMRS
06-17-08, 07:35 AM
I really hope they open up their eyes, and bring Robertson up, and send down Ohlendorf and/or get rid of Hawkins.

Dont send Ohlendorf down, he can pitch in the AL

NelsonMuntz
06-17-08, 09:48 AM
I have absolutely zero doubts that Robertson is on Cashman's radar.

fellows
06-17-08, 12:05 PM
Dont send Ohlendorf down, he can pitch in the AL

Based on what? He gets hit hard every chance he gets. Even his outs are very loud. He has to work on his command and has not earned his roster spot.

Pinstripe Pride23
06-17-08, 12:42 PM
Based on what? He gets hit hard every chance he gets. Even his outs are very loud. He has to work on his command and has not earned his roster spot.

Agree. Let him work on his command issues in Scranton.

BRNXBMRS
06-17-08, 01:08 PM

He has his moments, hes a young guy and can work it out with the big club. Everyone that comes up isnt going to be a superstar or great player right away.

smckdwn989
06-17-08, 01:22 PM
ross needs to be sent down. it's as simple as this. his sinker isn't down at all right now. whenever he pitches he's way up in the zone with it. it's on a matter of time before he gets crushed again because of it. he can fix this, but should do in the minors and not the majors.

JL25and3
06-17-08, 02:07 PM
I don't get why so many people think that the major leagues are the appropriate place to learn how to play. That's what the minors are for.