PDA

View Full Version : I can't stand Dayn Perry

YankeesAce4Life
05-29-08, 03:35 PM
Dayn Perry:

4. Robinson Cano, Yankees

Coming into 2008, Cano boasted a career batting line of .314 AVG/.346 OBP/.489 quality numbers for an up-the-middle defender. However, this season he's been lost at the plate (.276 OBP). You can point to other reasons for the Yankees' struggles Alex Rodriguez's injury, the rotation, Derek Jeter's drop in production and customarily poor defense, the lack of reliable middle relievers not named Joba Chamberlain but Cano's troubling decline has a lot to do with it. Fixing the Yankees is an exercise in triage at this point, but what's certain is that Cano must improve going forward.

The guy loves to take any jab he can against the Yankees. The guy has his face so far up the Red Sox it's disgusting. You never see the guy say one negative thing about them...but way too many about the Yankees. The Yankees could be 20 games up in 1st and he'll come up with some sort of nonsense.

yankeebot
05-29-08, 03:38 PM
That seems pretty accurate to me. What exactly are you taking issue with? Do you have a link?

R.V.47
05-29-08, 03:38 PM
Dayn Perry:

The guy loves to take any jab he can against the Yankees. The guy has his face so far up the Red Sox it's disgusting. You never see the guy say one negative thing about them...but way too many about the Yankees. The Yankees could be 20 games up in 1st and he'll come up with some sort of nonsense.

Well he is not wrong that Cano has been bad this year but to call it a decline is a stretch. He is just having a rough year.

YankeesAce4Life
05-29-08, 03:39 PM
That seems pretty accurate to me. What exactly are you taking issue with? Do you have a link?

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8185996/These-10-guys-aren't-earning-their-paychecks

Some of it is accurate, but to say Cano is in a decline at 24 years old?

YankeesAce4Life
05-29-08, 03:40 PM
Well he is not wrong that Cano has been bad this year but to call it a decline is a stretch. He is just having a rough year.

The guy is one of the worst writers I have ever seen and he's so damn biased it's disgusting. :mad:

tdel23
05-29-08, 03:41 PM
maybe don't read him then.

YankeesAce4Life
05-29-08, 03:43 PM
maybe don't read him then.

I read him just to see if he will write anything that resembles anything good, but it never happens. I have hope that something good will be written........I'll probably die first. ;)

yankeebot
05-29-08, 03:43 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8185996/These-10-guys-aren't-earning-their-paychecks

Some of it is accurate, but to say Cano is in a decline at 24 years old? Decline is certainly not the right word but otherwise I don't see the big deal. The list seems pretty accurate overall. But I don't have any Dayn Perry hate. I don't always agree with him but I think he's OK for the most part.

YankeesAce4Life
05-29-08, 03:46 PM
Decline is certainly not the right word but otherwise I don't see the big deal. The list seems pretty accurate overall. But I don't have any Dayn Perry hate. I don't always agree with him but I think he's OK for the most part.

Him and Ken Rosenthal make me want to rip my eyes out when I read their articl...ehhh garbage.

Red Sox are great, Red Sox are the best, Red Sox are going to win, their rotation is the greatest since sliced bread.

The Yankees stink, The Yankees have the worst rotation, bullpen, lineup, management, fans...blah blah blah

Garbage.

THEBOSS84
05-29-08, 04:10 PM
Decline is certainly not the right word but otherwise I don't see the big deal. The list seems pretty accurate overall. But I don't have any Dayn Perry hate. I don't always agree with him but I think he's OK for the most part.

I actually like him. You should see the stuff he has written about Joba and Hughes in the past. Only good things.

yankeebot
05-29-08, 04:11 PM
I actually like him. You should see the stuff he has written about Joba and Hughes in the past. Only good things.
I have. I think he's very smart.

SoCal Pinstriper
05-29-08, 04:17 PM
We've seen some signs that Robbie may be coming out of his funk, but every word of that seems spot on to me. He didn't say that his career was in (an age driven) decline. He stated that his production was way off his career numbers. Any way you slice it, that has been the case in 2008 to date.

primetime714
05-29-08, 04:18 PM
That's pretty ridiculous. I mean everyone knows Cano has had an awful start, but to suggest that he is in decline is absurd.

Also the other jabs he takes at the Yankees are off base too. Lack of reliable middle relievers other than Joba? Edwar and Farnsworth have both been good. Our bullpen hasn't been the problem, the fact that they've had to pick up for so many 3 inning starts is. Jeter drop in production? Up until his recent slump he was in line with typical Jeter numbers hitting .314. As for his customarily poor defense that's hardly a reason we haven't won. His defense cost us at most 1 game this year and probably not even that one.

Reasons the Yankees have struggled this year:
-Poor starting pitching from Hughes and Kennedy
-Cano and Giambi slumping most of the year
-ARod's and Posada's injury
-No production from our right handed bats off the bench
-Poor performances from select bullpen arms including Hawkins and Ohlendorf.

Prison Mike
05-29-08, 04:57 PM
Decline is the wrong word- but I have no problem with anything else he said.

bigjf
05-29-08, 05:14 PM
I never read him before, but he's clearly referring to how Cano is performing right now compared to last season's numbers, which is indeed a decline in production. Now, I'm not looking up what his numbers are right now in comparison to this date last season, but I have little doubt that Cano will turn it around and finish the season with decent numbers. Maybe not as good as last year, but decent. I don't think Perry is stupid enough to think that Cano is in "decline" (as in the way we would commonly call it for aging veterans) at 24 years of age.

Allan
05-29-08, 05:30 PM
Him and Ken Rosenthal make me want to rip my eyes out when I read their articl...ehhh garbage.

Red Sox are great, Red Sox are the best, Red Sox are going to win, their rotation is the greatest since sliced bread.

The Yankees stink, The Yankees have the worst rotation, bullpen, lineup, management, fans...blah blah blah

Garbage.
Would you present the Red Sox vs.Yankees, so far this season, any differently?

YankeesAce4Life
05-29-08, 06:24 PM
Would you present the Red Sox vs.Yankees, so far this season, any differently?

http://smiliesftw.com/x/lolhit.gif (http://smiliesftw.com)

Sorry, but the Red Sox aren't as good as their record shows. And the Yankees aren't as bad as their record shows.

Don't tell me you're a Red Sox troll.

Mr. Mxylsplk
05-29-08, 06:51 PM
It's always reassuring to see that some things can always be counted on.

AlbanyColonieYankee
05-30-08, 11:36 AM
Decline is the wrong word- but I have no problem with anything else he said.

I totally agree.

flymick24
05-30-08, 11:46 AM
i can't stand anybody who looks like jared from subway

justtxyank
05-30-08, 11:54 AM
I don't always agree with him, but I've always found him to be one of the more astute internet writers out there.

Also, as mentioned, his use of the word "decline" was merely referencing the statistical decline between last year and this thus far. He was not insinuating that Cano is in fact, in "decline." He states at the end of the paragraph "but what's certain is that Cano must improve going forward." That line alone indicates he believes Cano can get better. Also note that 5 of the players he targeted in this article are under age 30. This piece is simply a commentary on things as they are.

There are definitely certain writers with bias against the Yankees and it often shows in anything and everything they publish. But not EVERYTHING that is written that is negative about the Yankees as a team or a specific player is because of bias. Heck, anytime a guy picks against the Yankees many scream unfair on this board and others. Yet, they are often right.

You know, I bet there are Kansas City Royal fans who sit around and cry bias everytime an article is published that labels them as a bad team. I know in Houston everyone thinks that ESPN is in love with the Yankees.

Perspective

yankeebot
05-30-08, 12:16 PM
I don't always agree with him, but I've always found him to be one of the more astute internet writers out there.

Also, as mentioned, his use of the word "decline" was merely referencing the statistical decline between last year and this thus far. He was not insinuating that Cano is in fact, in "decline." He states at the end of the paragraph "but what's certain is that Cano must improve going forward." That line alone indicates he believes Cano can get better. Also note that 5 of the players he targeted in this article are under age 30. This piece is simply a commentary on things as they are.

There are definitely certain writers with bias against the Yankees and it often shows in anything and everything they publish. But not EVERYTHING that is written that is negative about the Yankees as a team or a specific player is because of bias. Heck, anytime a guy picks against the Yankees many scream unfair on this board and others. Yet, they are often right.

You know, I bet there are Kansas City Royal fans who sit around and cry bias everytime an article is published that labels them as a bad team. I know in Houston everyone thinks that ESPN is in love with the Yankees.

Perspective We have George King, Joel Sherman and John Heyman. They get Rany Jazayerli, Rob Neyer and Joe Posnanski. I don't want to hear a peep out of Royals fans. :P

YASS
05-30-08, 01:48 PM
We have George King, Joel Sherman and John Heyman. They get Rany Jazayerli, Rob Neyer and Joe Posnanski. I don't want to hear a peep out of Royals fans. :P
Who doesn't love Joe P?

The guy is a national treasure.

yankeebot
05-30-08, 04:00 PM
Who doesn't love Joe P?

That is something we can definitely see eye to eye on. Anyone that is not reading his blog is missing out big time.

rodney27nyg
06-01-08, 07:43 AM

Yeah...what yankeebot said.

Didn't think Perry was too rough.

rodney27nyg
06-01-08, 07:47 AM
Who doesn't love Joe P?

Joe Paterno?

Joe Pesci? Fat Joe? G.I. Joe? Joltin' Joe? Hell even Bazooka Joe is more of a national treasure than Joe Posnanski.

YASS
06-02-08, 10:34 AM
Joe Paterno?

Joe Pesci? Fat Joe? G.I. Joe? Joltin' Joe? Hell even Bazooka Joe is more of a national treasure than Joe Posnanski.
G.I. Joe's last name is Mattel. You must be thinking of his younger cousin G.I. Joel Playskool.

I am interested in learning more about this Joltin' Joe Pimaggio guy you referred to, though. Wasn't he once married to Parilyn Ponroe?

YankeesAce4Life
06-02-08, 11:20 AM
Yeah...what yankeebot said.

Didn't think Perry was too rough.

Have you ever read any of his stuff? Anytime he can take a jab at the Yankees, he does.

Bouton_Howe
06-04-08, 12:30 PM
Have you ever read any of his stuff? Anytime he can take a jab at the Yankees, he does.

I read him all the time, he doesn't seem too biased to me... Maybe "decline" is the wrong word, but that's splitting hairs...

Doyle
06-05-08, 12:30 PM
I am getting used to the fact that Cano just does not hit in cold weather. And he seems disinterested in the beginning of the season. If he does not hit over .300 by the end of the year I would be shocked.

Mr. Mxylsplk
06-05-08, 01:06 PM
If he does not hit over .300 by the end of the year I would be shocked.
Preferably not from an open socket.