PDA

View Full Version : Pedro or Freddy?

azzurribaggio
05-28-08, 07:19 PM
A buddy of mine said if the Mets keep playing poorly why don't the Yankees grab Pedro during the trade deadline?
Another pitcher out there is Freddy Garcia, who is coming off an injury...think any these guys could help us out?

primetime714
05-28-08, 07:32 PM
The mets probably won't look to trade pedro unless they play real bad the rest of the way. The Yankees wouldn't want him anyway.

Garcia is a possibility but I think we'd rather give Horne and/or McCutchen a shot first if need be.

Skars
05-28-08, 07:35 PM
i would bet my first born that pedro isnt traded from the mets to the yankees

mgpenguin
05-28-08, 08:32 PM
People will probably vehemently disagree, but I think Garcia would be a decent mid-season pickup. I'd rather have the younger guys continue to develop in the minors rather than be shoehorned into the major league club, and assuming Garcia is healthy enough, he could hopefully give the club some stability and reliability in the rotation.

ArodMVP217
05-28-08, 08:54 PM
freddy for the second half and if that goes well; long relief next yr?

Don Mack
05-28-08, 09:17 PM
People will probably vehemently disagree, but I think Garcia would be a decent mid-season pickup. I'd rather have the younger guys continue to develop in the minors rather than be shoehorned into the major league club, and assuming Garcia is healthy enough, he could hopefully give the club some stability and reliability in the rotation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I vehemently AGREE with you. With guys on our staff going down all season long, we could use Garcia, a seasoned veteran who was always tough in big games.

wang+cano=future
05-28-08, 09:38 PM
The Mets would NEVER trade Pedro to the Yanks. There is a good chance the Mets will need Pedro at that point in their pennant race anyway.

Tyler Durden
05-28-08, 10:08 PM
Freddy Garcia simply because he is a cheap, low-risk/ high-reward lefty and not the prima donna that Pedro has proven to be throughout his career. And then there's the whole Yankees/Mets thing...

apalradio
05-28-08, 10:39 PM
Yes on Garcia. Pedro? He'll never stay healthy enough to contribute as needed. Pedro is the new El Duque.

YankeeZim
05-28-08, 10:54 PM
Freddy Garcia simply because he is a cheap, low-risk/ high-reward lefty and not the prima donna that Pedro has proven to be throughout his career. And then there's the whole Yankees/Mets thing...Freddy throws right.

msw6880
05-29-08, 09:34 AM
Not sure on their source, but mlbtraderumors.com was saying a couple of days ago that Garcia wouldn't be ready to go until September.

Yankee Tripper
05-29-08, 10:09 AM
Pedro is going nowhere.

Garcia hasn't even started a full throwing program, no way he's ready before mid-August at the soonest and that's best case scenario. Guys coming of shoulder problems scare me but if he wants to sign for somewhere near pro-rated league minimum I see no reason not to take a chance. Maybe with a resonable option for next year at a somewhat higher dollar level with incentives for IP or starts. Seems low risk but likely also low reward.

BillBuckner
05-29-08, 01:13 PM
I really don't see the need anymore considering how we're already going to have too many starters once Hughes comes back.

apalradio
05-29-08, 01:22 PM
I really don't see the need anymore considering how we're already going to have too many starters once Hughes comes back.Not sure we're anywhere close to having too many starters.

BillBuckner
05-29-08, 01:47 PM
Not sure we're anywhere close to having too many starters.
In a couple of weeks or months we'll have Wang, Pettitte, Moose, Joba, Hughes, and Rasner. And that's assuming Kennedy is sent back down.

apalradio
05-29-08, 06:38 PM
In a couple of weeks or months we'll have Wang, Pettitte, Moose, Joba, Hughes, and Rasner. And that's assuming Kennedy is sent back down.If they all work out perfectly, that's great. But Hughes isn't close to returning. Joba is still a question mark since he hasn't started in the majors. Rasner may very well slow down after his terrific start. Moose is up and down. I trust Wang and Pettitte, although I wouldn't write off Pettitte possibly getting hurt. Even Wang isn't immune to physical problems. No way do I see this as having too many starters.

BillBuckner
05-31-08, 01:37 PM
If they all work out perfectly, that's great. But Hughes isn't close to returning. Joba is still a question mark since he hasn't started in the majors. Rasner may very well slow down after his terrific start. Moose is up and down. I trust Wang and Pettitte, although I wouldn't write off Pettitte possibly getting hurt. Even Wang isn't immune to physical problems. No way do I see this as having too many starters.

Hughes will be back healthy soon enough, what are we going to do with him then, send him back down to AAA? Rasner may in fact slow down, but that is just pure speculation at this point, he has been brilliant so far. No one really knows what to expect from Joba, but there obviously is a big fuss about his role as a starter and that's not going to go away any time soon even if he pitches poorly. I agree with you on Wang and Pettitte, they are probably our most reliable starters. But as far as Moose goes, do you really expect to push a guy out of the rotation that may very well have over 10 or more wins before the All Star break? These guys aren't going anywhere.

apalradio
05-31-08, 04:37 PM
Hughes will be back healthy soon enough, what are we going to do with him then, send him back down to AAA? Rasner may in fact slow down, but that is just pure speculation at this point, he has been brilliant so far. No one really knows what to expect from Joba, but there obviously is a big fuss about his role as a starter and that's not going to go away any time soon even if he pitches poorly. I agree with you on Wang and Pettitte, they are probably our most reliable starters. But as far as Moose goes, do you really expect to push a guy out of the rotation that may very well have over 10 or more wins before the All Star break? These guys aren't going anywhere.This isn't about pushing Moose out of the rotation, and as far as when Hughes returns, "soon enough" is a very gray area, and his performance is still going to be a huge question mark. This is simply about having enough qualified arms in the rotation, which we have not had this year.

GoYanks
06-01-08, 06:53 AM
If it's a choice between Freddy or Pedro, I'd take Freddy, & I agree that he'd be a good midseason pickup.

Toaderly
06-01-08, 07:16 AM
Just what the Yankees need: Pedro Martinez, another aged, injury-prone pitcher who's best days are long behind him.

Based on past history, they should be picking him up by months end.

WashingtonYankee
06-01-08, 02:14 PM
I would love to see Freddy Garica. He's been one of favorite pitchers and I miss seeing that guy!

Jasbro
06-01-08, 02:21 PM
I'd rather have the one-eyed, 90-year-old version of Freddy on the team over Pedro.