PDA

View Full Version : RHB vs LHP solution thread

ARoDfan4life
05-27-08, 02:27 PM
OPTION A: Bill Hall in Milwaukee is getting his playing time cut, he is versatile, his value probably dropped, the explanation given to him was Milwaukee wants another LHB, Wilson Betemit could land us a Bill Hall.

Bill Hall vs LHP .409/.490/.705 and an OPS of 1.195

Washington - Manager Ned Yost and general manager Doug Melvin met before the Brewers' game today with third baseman Bill Hall to talk about losing playing time to Branyan.
With the right-handed hitting Hall batting only .158 against right-handed pitchers, Branyan was called up from Class AAA Nashville over the weekend to provide a left-handed alternative. Yost told Hall it would not be a strict platoon because that would give Branyan most of the playing time.
"He's very, very upset," said Yost. "If he wasn't, I don't know if I'd want him on the team. I told him to keep his head up, keep working."
That explanation did little to appease Hall. And it probably didn't help that Branyan went out in his second game with the Brewers and struck out four times in an 0 for 5 performance.
"Going on the last four years, nothing makes any sense," he said. "My understanding is we needed a left-handed bat in the lineup and I was the odd man out. Does that make any sense? We'll see what happens the next couple of days."

OPTION B: Aaron Boone in Washington could be obtainable by the trading deadline a Greg Kontos/Matt Carson could land him

Aaron Boone vs LHP .371/.450/.657 and an OPS of 1.107

that's what's out there so far...I'll try to find others

OPTION C: Xavier Nady ofcourse we know the price tag for him is ridiculous I mean Pittsburgh is asking for AJack or Tabata until that price tag goes down I don't see it happening but his splits are interesting.

Xavier Nady vs LHP .354/.475/.583 an OPS of 1.058

OPTION D: Garrett Atkins another dandy choice again price tag is the concern but his splits are absolutely off the charts so far.

Garrett Atkins vs LHP .545 .568 .939 an OPS of 1.507

Any other "possible" scenerio feel free to post ;)

ARoDfan4life
06-03-08, 01:05 AM
Hall wants a trade

By Tom Haudricourt
Monday, Jun 2 2008, 10:43 PM
Bill Hall wants out.

Hall's agent, Terry Bross, told me tonight that he believes it would be best for both the Brewers and his client if Hall is traded to another club where he could play regularly.

Hall made no qualms about being unhappy when the Brewers called up Russell Branyan from Class AAA Nashville on May 24 to platoon at third base. The right-handed hitting Hall was batting .158 against right-handed pitchers at the time, prompting the Brewers to summon the left-handed-hitting Branyan to share the position.

Hall felt unfairly singled out because he had switched positions several times in past years at the club's bequest and was a .262 career hitter against right-handed pitchers prior to 2008. Manager Ned Yost stopped short of calling it a strict platoon but Hall has not started against a right-handed pitcher since Branyan arrived.

"If Billy's not going to be an everyday player, it's probably best for him and the team to be traded," said Bross. "They could get a pitcher for him that would really help the team. I'm sure there are some teams out there that could use a third baseman or shortstop."

source (http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/06/02/hall-wants-a-trade.aspx)

ShaneTravis
06-03-08, 11:05 AM
It's a very good idea. Hall has a lifetime .860 Ops vs lefties. He can play 3rd, 2nd, SS, and CF. None of them very well though.

But, if he is complaining of playing time would he come over here in a limited role?

shadyridr
06-03-08, 11:08 AM
Ummm where would we play Bill Hall?

ShaneTravis
06-03-08, 11:56 AM
The original debate is: is there someone out there that can help the Yanks vs Lefty pitching?

So, any player mentioned has to hit lefty pitching better than Damon,Abreu,Melky and still field that position.

Duncan and Ensberg have not filled that role this year. So, by chance Hall comes this way he could easily hit better than Melky vs lefty. But, Hall is a terrible fielder. And Melky is the best fielder. Hence, the rub.

And my point is...why would he come over here and have the same situation he has in Mil?

Mark19
06-03-08, 12:41 PM
Snag Ryan Spilborghs from the Rockies. He plays all over the outfield, can pinch run and seems comfortable with limited playing time. In 180 AB against LHP his OPS is .940 -- not a bad number.

If he'd be willing to play split time with Robbie and play some 1B, Mark Grudzielanek could be an excellent addition. Over the last two seasons, his OBP against lefties has been over .400 and his OPS has been .850.

Three of the last four years Ryan Freel has been quite productive against LHP. He plays 3rd, 2nd and all over the outfield. He won't hit for power but he'll steal bases.

I would be more than content with a move to acquire any of these guys.

ShaneTravis
06-03-08, 02:00 PM
Good call on Spilborghs. Rockies are in a free fall and maybe inclined to deal. He hits lefties very well and you are right...he can play all over the outfield.

A true 4th outfielder that currently we don't have. His away vs home splits is the only hitch.

But, what an upgrade over Lane, or Duncan.

Prison Mike
06-03-08, 08:45 PM
Hall wants a trade because he's not getting playing time. How would that be different here?

primetime714
06-30-08, 07:45 PM
After watching that pitiful lineup we had to put out there against Oliver Perez and the Mets and with Matsui out for a while I've been thinking about right handed bats we could acquire to improve our bench or starting lineup.

Here are some guys that I think might be able to help:

Jason Bay- .283 BA and .922 OPS career against lefties. The best option available, but also the most costly.

Xavier Nady- .322 career BA and .889 career OPS against lefties. He could start for us in LF, RF, or 1B giving Damon, Abreu, and Giambi days off or allowing one of them to DH. He also slides very nicely into RF next year as we let Abreu walk. A very nice player the only question here is how much he'll cost as he's having a career year.

Matt Murton- .314 BA and .878 OPS career against lefties. Even with Soriano out he isn't getting much playing time in Chicago who has more than enough right handed bats. A Melky for Murton swap might make sense given their need for left handed hitting (Melky is better from the left side). Murton is only 26 and could slide into RF next year to replace Abreu.

Juan Rivera- .286 BA and .802 OPS career against lefties. Given his injuries, the fact that the Angels have no room for him in their OF, and his impending FA he'll probably come dirt cheap.

R.V.47
07-01-08, 12:49 PM
Id really like to have Jason Bay, I think he is exactly what we need. Righty power but also can hit for a decent average. Our outfield defense will suffer greatly though as this probably means Damon everyday in CF and Melky/Gardner not in the picture. Id be willing to take the hit though because this team really needs another righty bat.

bigjf
07-03-08, 10:28 AM
I like the Aaron Boone idea. That would be an easy trade to make, would cost us nothing. He's a good fielder with a better bat, at least against LHP than Gonzalez.

There's no way we get Atkins, and even if we could he would be an everyday starter, not someone you start just against LHP.

knickfan23
07-03-08, 01:34 PM
I miss the old Sheff circa 2004-2005.

R.V.47
07-03-08, 01:37 PM
I miss the old Sheff circa 2004-2005.

He was the guy you wanted up with the game on the line no doubt about it and he usually delivered. 61 come from behind wins IIRC in 04. This team will be lucky to have 6.

Mark19
07-03-08, 02:02 PM
I would be totally content doing a deal like this:

Yankees get:

Richie Sexson
Mark Lowe or Sean Green
cash

Mariners get:

LaTroy Hawkins
Steven White/Chase Wright

We agree to pay most of the remaining $14 million on Sexson's salary and we get a lefty-killer and a cost-controlled, effective RHRP.

At the same time, the M's move someone they loath and get another guy to sit around at the end of their rotation while this train wreck of a season winds down.

Mark19
07-10-08, 02:12 PM
So Sexson is officially an option

The teams that should be selling this month are:

Mariners, Indians, Nationals, Pirates, Padres and Royals

The expendable righties/switch-hitters on those teams include:

Aaron Boone
Xavier Nady
Chris Gomez
Austin Kearns
Ronnie Belliard (.681 SLG vs. LHP, heh)
Jose Vidro
Casey Blake
Michael Barrett
Tadahito Iguchi
Jose Guillen
Mark Grudzielanek
Esteban German

Edit: I would also add Rich Aurilia and Ray Durham but some insist the Giants think they can still contend

bigjf
07-10-08, 04:44 PM

Intriguing, most definitely.

Mark19
07-10-08, 04:47 PM
Intriguing, most definitely.

Six home runs and 3 doubles in 47 ABs will do that

Bub
07-10-08, 05:15 PM
I like the Aaron Boone idea. That would be an easy trade to make, would cost us nothing. He's a good fielder with a better bat, at least against LHP than Gonzalez. I'd rather get somebody else, but Boone has a Bub Lifetime Pass Award and is welcome here until he decides to retire, no matter how poor he may perform.

BroadwayBomber55
07-10-08, 05:25 PM
So Sexson is officially an option

The teams that should be selling this month are:

Mariners, Indians, Nationals, Pirates, Padres and Royals

The expendable righties/switch-hitters on those teams include:

Aaron Boone
Xavier Nady
Chris Gomez
Austin Kearns
Jose Vidro
Casey Blake
Michael Barrett
Tadahito Iguchi
Jose Guillen
Mark Grudzielanek
Esteban German

Edit: I would also add Rich Aurilia and Ray Durham but some insist the Giants think they can still contend
I still think the Giants are in the NL West race. Outside of Barry Zito's struggles, the Giants have a solid starting rotation and they play well on the road.

BennyTheJetRodriguez
07-11-08, 10:35 AM
I'd love to get Hall and trade Betemit, but Hall and Branyan are such a perfect platoon I don't see Milwaukee doing that unless they are blown away.

ThePinStripes
07-11-08, 10:36 AM
just blame Arod

Allan
07-11-08, 10:29 PM
Good call on Spilborghs. Rockies are in a free fall and maybe inclined to deal. He hits lefties very well and you are right...he can play all over the outfield.

A true 4th outfielder that currently we don't have. His away vs home splits is the only hitch.

But, what an upgrade over Lane, or Duncan.
Actually we have a fairly decent 4th outfielder........ trouble is we keep starting him in center.
Do you seriously believe that if Spillborghs and his .917 OPS were to come here that he would be the 4th guy behind Melky and Gardner?

Mark19
07-13-08, 11:32 PM
Bobby Kielty was just released by the Red Sox

I can't stand the look of the guy but I wouldn't be surprised if we picked him up. He has never stopped killing lefties.