PDA

View Full Version : Soriano (can the Yankees get him back? - mod)

CyYoung4Vazquez
05-27-08, 11:20 AM
Soriano is not playing very well for the Cubs. He also has a pretty big contract. Just a complete random thought, but. Maybe the Yankees could ship a few "B" prospects and pry him from the Cubs. He could then play the outfield and the Yanks could rid themselves of Damon.

a yankeesfan
05-27-08, 11:23 AM
There is absolutely NO WAY that a few "B" prospects would get Soriano.

Yankee Tripper
05-27-08, 11:26 AM
Soriano is not playing very well for the Cubs. He also has a pretty big contract. Just a complete random thought, but. Maybe the Yankees could ship a few "B" prospects and pry him from the Cubs. He could then play the outfield and the Yanks could rid themselves of Damon.
:lol: at this whole idea. If by "B" prospects you mean a package of Cano & Wang the Cubs might talk but otherwise you've been sniffing too much glue this morning.

CyYoung4Vazquez
My roommate was at Wrigley yesterday. He told me that the fans were crucifying the guy. Granted making decisions based on the fans is never going to happen. But if the slump continues, they may want to move him. I would trade Kennedy and some B prospects for him.

THEBOSS84
The dude has an .872 OPS in 36 games with 11 homers and 28 rbis - he's playing well.

Either way, I would not want him on this team.

primetime714
05-27-08, 11:29 AM

Agreed. And hasn't Soriano been playing pretty damn well since he came back from his injury?

The Cubs are also looking to contend every year and are not looking to get rid of their big contracts. If anything they're looking to add guys that can help them now. Not trade their best players.

I'd love to have Soriano back, but I just can't see the Cubs trading him without getting a big name player in return. From us they'd probably want Joba or at least Cano.

Yankee Tripper
05-27-08, 11:30 AM
The dude has an .872 OPS in 36 games with 11 homers and 28 rbis - he's playing well.

Either way, I would not want him on this team.
I agree on both counts, he is playing well but I wouldn't really want him.

Not that'd I'd turn him away mind you if the 1st place Cubs want to give up their starting left fielder, leadoff hitter, who is #2 on the team in HRs despite spending time on the DL for a "couple of B prospects" sure we'll take him off their hands. :D

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-27-08, 12:23 PM
Its pretty funny how Soriano went from the absolute worst 2nd baseman in baseball to one of the best LFers in the game.

ARoDfan4life
05-27-08, 12:27 PM
Its pretty funny how Soriano went from the absolute worst 2nd baseman in baseball to one of the best LFers in the game.

well that's is not true his defense in LF stinks just watch the Pirates game where he played a pop up into a rally.

Yankee Tripper
05-27-08, 12:29 PM
Its pretty funny how Soriano went from the absolute worst 2nd baseman in baseball to one of the best LFers in the game.he's awful defensively in LF just like he was at 2B. His bat though more than carries his defensive short comings. He Ks too much and walks too little for my taste but he is an offensive force.

yankeeman61
05-27-08, 12:30 PM
Agreed. And hasn't Soriano been playing pretty damn well since he came back from his injury?

The Cubs are also looking to contend every year and are not looking to get rid of their big contracts. If anything they're looking to add guys that can help them now. Not trade their best players.

I'd love to have Soriano back, but I just can't see the Cubs trading him without getting a big name player in return. From us they'd probably want Joba or at least Cano.

In May, 9 HR 23 RBI OPS 1.083....Cubs are in 1st place.

I think they might want to hold on to this guy

ARoDfan4life
05-27-08, 12:33 PM
Sori's LF defense (http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200805252770132)

the announcer at first sounded like he was going to use one of those NC17 words

Vin
05-27-08, 12:36 PM
They'd want A-Rod for him. The Cubs and their fanbase.

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-27-08, 12:38 PM
Sori's LF defense (http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200805252770132)

Luckily we don't rate players from one play. UZR and zone rating have Soriano as an above average LFer, believe what you want.

Toaderly
05-27-08, 12:40 PM
It would like a boat load of "B" players to make up for his $136 million contract.

Even so, I'd love to have him back with the Yankees.

Yankee Tripper
05-27-08, 12:42 PM
Luckily we don't rate players from one play. UZR and zone rating have Soriano as an above average LFer, believe what you want.He has the speed to make up for some of his mistakes which explains his zone rating but I have watched him with both Cubs and Nats. His routes to balls are poor to put it kindly. He drops some easy balls, ala Manny Ramirez. He has a strong arm but it can be erattic at times. Maybe my awul comment was a bit strong but just watch the guy, he's not a good defensive left fielder.

ARoDfan4life
05-27-08, 12:43 PM
Luckily we don't rate players from one play. UZR and zone rating have Soriano as an above average LFer, believe what you want.

he can hit there is no doubt about that but don't believe his fielding, well I guess this is where numbers can make him look above average.

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-27-08, 12:48 PM
He has the speed to make up for some of his mistakes which explains his zone rating but I have watched him with both Cubs and Nats. His routes to balls are poor to put it kindly. He drops some easy balls, ala Manny Ramirez. He has a strong arm but it can be erattic at times. Maybe my awul comment was a bit strong but just watch the guy, he's not a good defensive left fielder.

Do you know how UZR works?

Yankee Tripper
05-27-08, 01:02 PM
Do you know how UZR works?Yes. Defensive metrics have improved, I'll grant you that. I've still seen Sorinao butcher too many balls with my own eyes to believe he is a "good" left fielder. We'll agree to disagree on this one.

Vin
05-27-08, 01:12 PM
Defense stats are overrated. Offense stats are much more accurate IMO.

THEBOSS84
05-27-08, 01:12 PM
Yes. Defensive metrics have improved, I'll grant you that. I've still seen Sorinao butcher too many balls with my own eyes to believe he is a "good" left fielder. We'll agree to disagree on this one.

I think these metrics also show that Matsui is a good LF, which baffles my mind.

yankeeman61
05-27-08, 01:14 PM
I think these metrics also show that Matsui is a good LF, which baffles my mind.

Can you say "flawed" ?

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-27-08, 01:14 PM

No they don't.

PinstripePride
05-27-08, 01:16 PM
They can keep his monstrous contract.

THEBOSS84
05-27-08, 01:16 PM
No they don't.

Well I got into a discussion on this board with someone a few weeks back and I was saying he was a horrible LF. They said the metrics say Matsui is above average. He could have been lying to prove his point.

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-27-08, 01:18 PM
Well I got into a discussion on this board with someone a few weeks back and I was saying he was a horrible LF. They said the metrics say Matsui is above average. He could have been lying to prove his point.

The metrics I saw from last year put Matsui about average away and below average home.

b_joseph
05-27-08, 01:21 PM
If he was 28 and not 32, then I would give up a few of our ''A'' prospects for him.
But seen as he is 32, I would pass on him if ''A'' prospects were the price.

I do miss him though....Jete and him were my faves.

b_joseph
05-27-08, 01:22 PM
Defense stats are overrated. Offense stats are much more accurate IMO.
Not sure if they are overrated but over the course of a season, offensive stats are much more valuable individually. Manny proves that every year.

Axon
05-27-08, 01:26 PM
Defensive stats....pfft.

Anyway, Soriano never met a slider he didn't like and I've got a feeling he'll fall apart at 33.

Vin
05-27-08, 01:27 PM
Not sure if they are overrated but over the course of a season, offensive stats are much more valuable individually. Manny proves that every year.

I find that with defense stats the number of variables that gets left out increases.

I don't bother with them because you can be one of the worst defensive player but if you're a great hitter you're a major leaguer and that outweighs your defensive shortcomings. There are a lot of great defensive, light hitting players but your chances of being in the majors also gets higher if you're a great hitter.

Brick Tamland
05-27-08, 01:28 PM
Axon that signature is by far the best on this board.

YanksFan1992
05-27-08, 01:34 PM
I would absolutely love to have Soriano back, but there is no way the Cubs would trade him (unless we gave them one heck of an offer, something like Hughes, Melky and possibly another prospect).

destro
05-27-08, 01:44 PM
its safe to say that the soriano ship sailed long ago when we traded him.

he's a cubbie for a long time

SoCal Pinstriper
05-27-08, 05:38 PM
a Cubs official offered protection for Soriano, instructing left-field bleacherites before Monday's game that any profane or inappropriate comments made toward Soriano would result in their immediate ejection.

"If someone was overstepping their bounds, we would quickly correct the problem," a Cubs spokesperson said, adding there were no problems.

Soriano always seems to be in the eye of the storm, whether he's hitting seven home runs in one week, as he did from May 12-17, or losing a ninth-inning fly ball in the sun to help lose a game in Pittsburgh, as he did Sunday.

That gaffe led to some harsh criticism from Cubs broadcaster Bob Brenly, who said Soriano can't be called a "superstar" because of his shaky defense and joked that if you threw a dart into the Cubs' dugout, anyone you hit could play left field better than Soriano.

Brenly declined to elaborate on his comments Monday but did not back off his criticism.

Asked about Brenly's assertion that Soriano is just not a good left fielder, manager Lou Piniella defended Soriano's effort, if not his execution, and reiterated he has no plans to lift him for a late-inning defensive replacement.

"Let's hope he's not hiding a deficiency where his legs are bothering him or something," Piniella said. "Outside of that, the guy gets his work. He plays to win. He's doing the best he can. That's all I can expect as a manager.

"Yes, you're in this thing to win baseball games. And I understand all of that, but he's given me all he's got. [Sunday] he said the ball got in the sun and let's just leave it at that and go forward. We need to execute as a team a little better than we did the last two days at Pittsburgh. If not, it becomes a very, very tough proposition to win with consistency."

Some of Soriano's teammates are upset over the criticism and believe Soriano's hot streaks are taken for granted while his mistakes are magnified. Derrek Lee blamed Soriano's $136 million contract for alleged overreaction. http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-27-cubs-brite-chicagomay27,1,4023269,print.story

yankeeman61
05-28-08, 08:53 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-27-cubs-brite-chicagomay27,1,4023269,print.story

That gaffe led to some harsh criticism from Cubs broadcaster Bob Brenly, who said Soriano can't be called a "superstar" because of his shaky defense and joked that if you threw a dart into the Cubs' dugout, anyone you hit could play left field better than Soriano.

:lol: "You got a f-ing dart in your neck, man!"

JohnnyDamonfan
05-28-08, 10:32 AM
Not really! Soriano isn't a really good left fielder. And I really don't want to see him in Left Field. He may be just as good as Damon in Left Field. I feel Soriano is like an older version of Miguel Cabrera.

And by that I mean he hits great but when it comes to fielding he ranges from bad to mediogre. I would love to have Soriano if we needed a DH just like I would have loved Cabrera if we needed a DH. But, aside from the fact that Soriano and the Cubs would probably rob us dry of every single great prospect that we have. It wouldn't really improve our fielding.

flymick24
05-28-08, 12:07 PM
:lol: "You got a f-ing dart in your neck, man!"

you're.... you're... you're crazy man

i like you... but you're crazy

destro
05-28-08, 01:09 PM
if Soriano needs people to protect him from words, he doesn't need to be here. period. it's over johnny.

KLJ
05-29-08, 08:41 AM
I've still seen Sorinao butcher too many balls with my own eyes to believe he is a "good" left fielder.
exactly.. any metric that indicates soriano is anything but a bad outfielder is flawed..

bigjf
05-29-08, 05:28 PM
It would take some real good drugs to get a deal for Soriano done. Let's just sign Adam Dunn over the offseason and call it a day.

ebas
05-30-08, 04:16 AM
exactly.. any metric that indicates soriano is anything but a bad outfielder is flawed..

I'm surprised the metrics have him as a good fielder. It goes to show you that you can't always rely just on the stats. I work on a baseball show where we have all 15 games up on big screens everyday and it seems that Soriano makes some horrific play in left field at least twice a week. I can't think of any other player that consistently stands out for such atrocious defense. As bad of a second baseman as he was, I'm convinced that he is a worse outfielder. He really belongs in the AL where he can DH full time. Also, maybe he could be a decent first baseman. Who knows...

rodney27nyg
06-01-08, 07:51 AM

Wow...that was brutal. Canseco-like.

rodney27nyg
06-01-08, 07:54 AM

So does Ortiz.;)

Yankees13
06-01-08, 10:55 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-27-cubs-brite-chicagomay27,1,4023269,print.story
Interesting that the supposedly happy-go-lucky Cubs fans are A-Roding Sori. Certainly belies their reputation.

SINCE77 2
06-01-08, 11:37 AM

No need to assume someone is a liar because you don't agree with the facts provided.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/thtstat...&Submit=Submit (http://www.hardballtimes.com/thtstats/main/index.php?view=fielding&linesToDisplay=50&orderBy=zone_rating&direction=DESC&qual_filter=1&season_filter%5B%5D=2007&league_filter%5B%5D=1&pos_filter%5B%5D=7&Submit=Submit)