PDA

View Full Version : Xavier Nady (should the Yankees get him? - mod)

NYKforever
05-27-08, 10:02 AM
I've heard this guy's name mentioned before as a possible target. The more and more I think about it, he seems to be a perfect fit for this club.

A.) Hopefully, we wouldn't have to give up a top prospect to get him. The Pirates are not in a win-now phase (are they ever?)

Maybe two or three from a list of B-prospects?

Colin Curtis
Brett Gardner
Mitch Hilligoss
Eric Duncan
Justin Christian
Daniel McCutchen
Eric Wordekemper
Kei Igawa (doubt it)
Jose Veras
Kevin Whelan
Anthony Claggett
etc.

If they include Marte, we would have to give up a higher level prospect of course but certainly worth exploring.

B.) Fills in as platoon partner for both Giambi and Abreu. Also, gives us an option at first next year if we don't get Big Tex or can replace Abreu (who we can let walk after offering him arbitration)

Even if we signed Abreu and got Big Tex, we could find time for him to platoon with Damon and DH against lefties.

C.) Helps give us balance to counterract the team's inability to hit lefty pitchers consistently.

R.V.47
05-27-08, 10:16 AM
We have enough outfielders.

NYKforever
05-27-08, 10:28 AM

1B/OF

ShaneTravis
05-27-08, 10:35 AM
He has hit left handed pitching very well his entire career. So, that could help us immediately.

He came over in the Oliver Perez deal so I am not sure a couple of b prospects gets it done.

Allan
05-27-08, 11:06 AM
I've heard this guy's name mentioned before as a possible target. The more and more I think about it, he seems to be a perfect fit for this club.

A.) Hopefully, we wouldn't have to give up a top prospect to get him. The Pirates are not in a win-now phase (are they ever?)

Colin Curtis
Brett Gardner
Mitch Hilligoss
Eric Duncan
Justin Christian
Daniel McCutchen
Eric Wordekemper
Kei Igawa (doubt it)
Jose Veras
Kevin Whelan
Anthony Claggett
etc.

If they include Marte, we would have to give up a higher level prospect of course but certainly worth exploring.

B.) Fills in as platoon partner for both Giambi and Abreu. Also, gives us an option at first next year if we don't get Big Tex or can replace Abreu (who we can let walk after offering him arbitration)

Even if we signed Abreu and got Big Tex, we could find time for him to platoon with Damon and DH against lefties.

C.) Helps give us balance to counterract the team's inability to hit lefty pitchers consistently.
If Abreu is offered arbitration, I doubt he walks.

primetime714
05-27-08, 11:19 AM
I like the idea of getting Nady. He helps our problems against left hand pitching now and likely replaces Abreu next year.

The problem is cost. Nady is having a great year so far and while the Pirates are not in a win-now situation they're not going to give this guy away. I mean he's only 29, is one of their best players, and has a reasonable salary.

If we could get him in a deal for Marquez and a few other prospects I would do it, but my guess is they'll want us to start with a guy like Horne.

primetime714
05-27-08, 11:25 AM

I doubt it. Abreu is going to be looking for probably a 3+ year deal. He's 34 years old I doubt he wants to play the rest of his career on 1 year deals via Arbitration. I think he might take less to stay with the Yankees as he seems to fit well here, but I can't see him taking less than a 2-year deal and even that is probably unlikely.

My hope is that the Yankees offer him no more than a 2-year deal. If he takes it, great. If not we make sure to sign Teixeira and look to find a stop gap option who can hold down the position until guys like Jackson and Tabata are ready.

NYKforever
05-27-08, 11:36 AM

That's not a bad thing, either. If he accepts, he gives us a one-year bridge to Austin Jackson or Jose Tabata. I doubt he'd accept though.

ShaneTravis
05-27-08, 11:39 AM
[QUOTE]

Colin Curtis
Brett Gardner
Mitch Hilligoss
Eric Duncan
Justin Christian
Daniel McCutchen
Eric Wordekemper
Kei Igawa (doubt it)
Jose Veras
Kevin Whelan
Anthony Claggett
etc.

I would leave Gardner and McCutchen off that list. But 714 is right they would want Horne or someone of that caliber. You don't make that deal.

McCutchen
Horne
Kennedy
Betances
Rasner
Melancon-rp
Sanchez
Hughes
Joba
Cox--rp
Robertson--rp

I don't think you are going to see any of the above names get traded. Joel Sherman of all people had a half way decent article over the weekend. And said Cashman's plan is to have a home grown rotation. So, after Wang I think it is a wait and see what you have.

primetime714
05-27-08, 11:50 AM
[quote=NYKforever]

I would leave Gardner and McCutchen off that list. But 714 is right they would want Horne or someone of that caliber. You don't make that deal.

McCutchen
Horne
Kennedy
Betances
Rasner
Melancon-rp
Sanchez
Hughes
Joba
Cox--rp
Robertson--rp

I don't think you are going to see any of the above names get traded. Joel Sherman of all people had a half way decent article over the weekend. And said Cashman's plan is to have a home grown rotation. So, after Wang I think it is a wait and see what you have.

I don't know I like McCutchen, Gardner, Cox, and Robertson but I'd probably deal at least one of them for a starting everyday player who is relatively inexpensive and under 30 years old in Nady. McCutchen has a ceiling of a bottom of the rotation starter or setup man, Cox and Robertson have a ceiling of setup man, Gardner probably has the most upside as he could be a pretty could leadoff man, however he is probably a fringe starter/backup right now. Still I wouldn't want to part with those guys as I think they'll all be nice contributors at the major leagues, but they're far from untouchables in my mind and you have to consider it when you could get a known commodity in Nady.

However as we both said it would probably cost more than that anyway, so no dice.

Vin
05-27-08, 12:42 PM
I saw some of his games as a Met and really like him; he's a very good hitter so to fantasize a bit he can be in left field while Matsui goes to the DH spot.

BennyTheJetRodriguez
05-27-08, 01:15 PM
Two of which can't seem to hit. One of which is too old to 'wait and see' if he can.

R.V.47
05-27-08, 02:17 PM
Two of which can't seem to hit. One of which is too old to 'wait and see' if he can.

Which 2 cant hit, and which one is to old? I see an outfield right now of a slumping Melky which should change, Damon who has been streaky but I think we can say has surpassed a lot of expectations this year and Abreu who has been one of our best run producers.

BennyTheJetRodriguez
05-27-08, 09:51 PM
Which 2 cant hit, and which one is to old? I see an outfield right now of a slumping Melky which should change, Damon who has been streaky but I think we can say has surpassed a lot of expectations this year and Abreu who has been one of our best run producers.
Melky hasn't been much less productive than he has the rest of his career, so one would hope he improves, should is a strong word. Until tonight Damon's production was tied into a few homeruns earlier in the year. He's been better than the automatic out that I thought he'd be. He's been decent, but i'd love to switch his production for Nady's.

Prison Mike
05-28-08, 04:33 PM
Colin Curtis
Brett Gardner
Mitch Hilligoss
Eric Duncan
Justin Christian
Daniel McCutchen
Eric Wordekemper
Kei Igawa (doubt it)
Jose Veras
Kevin Whelan
Anthony Claggett
etc.

Why would the Pirates want any of these guys? Every minor league system has C+ prospects like these.

Unless you're giving up Horne and another decent prospect (Marquez), you're not getting him.

fellows
05-28-08, 11:06 PM
His #'s are way up from his career averages this season. At age 29 hasn't played more than 125 games in a year. Could be expensive to trade for and return to earth in NY.

swityak11
05-29-08, 09:27 AM
Cheap guys with above average production like Nady are the lifeblood of teams like the Pirates. I think it'd take more than a couple minor league scraps to get him.

BennyTheJetRodriguez
05-30-08, 12:05 AM
Why would the Pirates want any of these guys? Every minor league system has C+ prospects like these.

Unless you're giving up Horne and another decent prospect (Marquez), you're not getting him.
You think it would take Horne to get Xavier Nady?

sjb23
05-30-08, 08:59 AM
Horne, Marquez, Betemit and Ohlendorf for Nady & Marte

Just Do It.

Don't think too long about it. Just pull the trigger.

The team would be better, now, and all four players they are giving up can be replaced. Nady can chip in at first base and the outfield and put a much-needed proven right-handed bat in the lineup. Ensberg should be released, Duncan can stay, and Alberto Gonzalez should be the reserve infielder for 3rd, 2nd & SS. Marte should be the eigth inning guy and stabilize the bullpen.

I think the Pirates would like the deal, and I think the Yanks shouldn't mind overpaying a little bit if it fills some obvious holes. You have to give up some talent to get some talent, especially if you're the NY Yankees.

swityak11
05-30-08, 10:10 AM
You think it would take Horne to get Xavier Nady?Nady's price/production is more valuable to Pittsburgh than to a team that doesn't mind overpaying for similar production.

I still don't think Pittsburgh has any interest in trading him, but if they did, Horne wouldn't be an unreasonable demand.

THEBOSS84
05-30-08, 10:20 AM
I'm surprised that this thread exists and there is not one mention of Pitt's other excellent-playing right handed outfielder who is also trade bate, and carries a better track record.

primetime714
05-30-08, 10:38 AM
I'm surprised that this thread exists and there is not one mention of Pitt's other excellent-playing right handed outfielder who is also trade bate, and carries a better track record.

Probably because he'd cost a lot more. Nady is a decent player having a good year. Bay is a good player having a good year.

I don't think Pittsburg is giving either of these guys away as they're both still young and inexpensive, but I think Bay would definitely cost more than we'd be willing to pay. Whereas we might be able to get Nady for a more reasonable price (although proably not as reasonable as most of this board would like).

BennyTheJetRodriguez
05-30-08, 11:00 AM
Nady's price/production is more valuable to Pittsburgh than to a team that doesn't mind overpaying for similar production.

I still don't think Pittsburgh has any interest in trading him, but if they did, Horne wouldn't be an unreasonable demand.
Yes he would. Cash would hopefully laugh at that proposal.

ShaneTravis
05-30-08, 11:28 AM
Horne, Marquez, Betemit and Ohlendorf for Nady & Marte

Just Do It.

Don't think too long about it. Just pull the trigger.

The team would be better, now, and all four players they are giving up can be replaced. Nady can chip in at first base and the outfield and put a much-needed proven right-handed bat in the lineup. Ensberg should be released, Duncan can stay, and Alberto Gonzalez should be the reserve infielder for 3rd, 2nd & SS. Marte should be the eigth inning guy and stabilize the bullpen.

I think the Pirates would like the deal, and I think the Yanks shouldn't mind overpaying a little bit if it fills some obvious holes. You have to give up some talent to get some talent, especially if you're the NY Yankees.

That's not a little bit over paying. That is hugely overpaying. The Pirates would jump all over that in a nano second.

sjb23
05-30-08, 01:21 PM
The Pirates would jump all over that in a nano second.

and that's exactly what Cashman should want them to do. No pussy-footing around, get the deal done and make the team stronger. I think we all can agree that Nady's proven, right-handed bat would be a welcome addition to the lineup, and Marte has value just being a lefty, besides probably being able to fill the 8th inning role.

I don't really understand the mentality of "let's get a really good player without giving up anyone of real value." -- that's an unrealistic attitude that will never get you what you really want or need.

Ohlendorf, Horne and Marquez are good prospects, nothing more and nothing less. The Pirates need to build a young starting rotation that they could keep for several years, whereas the Yankees have several other young arms in the system that could just as easily succeed as these three can. Betemit's role as utility infielder could be filled by Alberto Gonzalez. I'm sure the Pirates would like a relatively young, inexpensive position player who, if given the chance to play everyday, might just open some eyes by producing numbers similar to Nady's.

BennyTheJetRodriguez
05-30-08, 02:44 PM
and that's exactly what Cashman should want them to do. No pussy-footing around, get the deal done and make the team stronger. I think we all can agree that Nady's proven, right-handed bat would be a welcome addition to the lineup, and Marte has value just being a lefty, besides probably being able to fill the 8th inning role.

I don't really understand the mentality of "let's get a really good player without giving up anyone of real value." -- that's an unrealistic attitude that will never get you what you really want or need.

Ohlendorf, Horne and Marquez are good prospects, nothing more and nothing less. The Pirates need to build a young starting rotation that they could keep for several years, whereas the Yankees have several other young arms in the system that could just as easily succeed as these three can. Betemit's role as utility infielder could be filled by Alberto Gonzalez. I'm sure the Pirates would like a relatively young, inexpensive position player who, if given the chance to play everyday, might just open some eyes by producing numbers similar to Nady's.Nady is an average player having a career year and Marte is a glorified loogy. Horne is a very good prospect. It would simply be a waste to do that trade, and thankfully Cash isn't in the business of helping out bad teams by taking their mediocre players off their hands for more than their worth.

R.V.47
05-30-08, 04:08 PM
Nady is an average player having a career year and Marte is a glorified loogy. Horne is a very good prospect. It would simply be a waste to do that trade, and thankfully Cash isn't in the business of helping out bad teams by taking their mediocre players off their hands for more than their worth.

Im not high on Alan Horne, I think we should trade him while he is still in the minors so that his spotty control doesnt get exposed in the bigs and lowers his value. However, I think Horne could bring in a better player than Nady and Im hoping some better players become available as we get closer to July 31.

BennyTheJetRodriguez
05-30-08, 05:46 PM
Im not high on Alan Horne, I think we should trade him while he is still in the minors so that his spotty control doesnt get exposed in the bigs and lowers his value. However, I think Horne could bring in a better player than Nady and Im hoping some better players become available as we get closer to July 31.
I think the same way about Kennedy. I think Horne will be better. Either way they better sell high.

NelsonMuntz
05-31-08, 01:30 PM
Nady is an average player having a career year and Marte is a glorified loogy. Horne is a very good prospect. It would simply be a waste to do that trade, and thankfully Cash isn't in the business of helping out bad teams by taking their mediocre players off their hands for more than their worth.
Agreed. Of all our top starting pitching prospects, Horne is the closest to being MLB ready. Given the state of our rotation right now, I don't see Cashman wasting that bullet on a league average OF.

NYKforever
07-27-08, 11:12 AM
Look who called it. I didn't think Tabata would be part of the deal but you have to give to get, I guess.