PDA

View Full Version : Yankees Pitchers Take Their Cuts

YanksFan1992
05-24-08, 12:26 PM
Pretty cool. :gulp:

UPDATE, 12:59 p.m.: The Yankees play their first interleague road game on June 13, so the pitchers have started taking batting practice to get ready. The starters and Ross Ohlendorf took some hacks today.

“I can’t watch this,” hitting coach Kevin Long said. “Seriously, I can’t.”

But he did. And you know what? It wasn’t bad. Andy Pettitte, a National Leaguer for a few years, handled the bat well and put one in the right-field seats. Ian Kennedy also drilled one out. IPK said he was a better hitter than a pitcher as a freshman in high school and played regularly in the field until his senior year. He never hit at USC. “I was on deck twice,” he said.

OK, Taiwan readers, your man Chien-Ming Wang hit as well. He got down a few bunts and managed to knock a few singles into center field. But he’s starting tomorrow and he wasn’t swinging too hard.

CMW parked one last season in BP off Ron Guidry. The Gator threw the next pitch behind him.

It’s funny to watch the pitchers around the cage. They all have new batting gloves and old bats that the equipment guys dig up. Darrell Rasner was actually swinging an old piece of lumber that was signed by Jaret Wright.

Joba Chamberlain, no fool, sought the counsel of Reggie Jackson before he got in the cage. We can only imagine how Joba would celebrate if he ever hit one out. Now that would be something to see.

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2008/05/24/game-49-mariners-at-yankees/

Mr. Mxylsplk
05-24-08, 01:01 PM
Joba Chamberlain, no fool, sought the counsel of Reggie Jackson before he got in the cage. We can only imagine how Joba would celebrate if he ever hit one out. Now that would be something to see.
I'd definitely like to see that. :)