PDA

View Full Version : Big Mistake ...[Arod Should Play SS]

Abe Frohman
05-21-08, 12:38 AM
Not for nothing but every year it becomes more apparent that this organization made a

big mistake by not making A - ROD the SS and moving Jeter to another position. At

the time A - ROD was hands down the best defensive AND offensive SS in the AL if

not the entire MLB. I completely understand that Jeter is a farm product, has the

rings, Captain, intangibles, what not ... still doesnt change the fact that he is

atrocious at the fielding position. Anyone who knows anything will tell you that

A -ROD was going to go down in history as the greatest SS to ever walk the

diamond. Having Jeter at SS makes this team a weaker defensive team, period.

Theres just no way around it. I dont know what can be done to remedy the situation

at this point. I just wish that they wouldve realized this sooner.

CallOfTheCrow
05-21-08, 12:39 AM
I feel like I'm reading a really bad poem.

BroadwayBomber55
05-21-08, 12:57 AM
With no rhythm and rhyme.

Abe Frohman
05-21-08, 01:02 AM
LoL ... im serious though. Its coming from the heart. ;)

PinstripePride
05-21-08, 01:25 AM

Hahahaha, well played.

sugmasterflex
05-21-08, 02:54 AM
Not for nothing but every year it becomes more apparent that this organization made a

big mistake by not making A - ROD the SS and moving Jeter to another position. At

the time A - ROD was hands down the best defensive AND offensive SS in the AL if

not the entire MLB. I completely understand that Jeter is a farm product, has the

rings, Captain, intangibles, what not ... still doesnt change the fact that he is

atrocious at the fielding position. Anyone who knows anything will tell you that

A -ROD was going to go down in history as the greatest SS to ever walk the

diamond. Having Jeter at SS makes this team a weaker defensive team, period.

Theres just no way around it. I dont know what can be done to remedy the situation

at this point. I just wish that they wouldve realized this sooner.

I agree with what you said, but the Yanks won't move Jeter from SS anytime soon.

silverdsl
05-21-08, 08:13 AM
I agree on Jeter and I wish they had found a way to convince him to switch positions back then. But what's done is done - Jeter is staying at SS.

primetime714
05-21-08, 09:07 AM
Yea in hindsight maybe they should've. However I don't think ARod needed the added pressure of making the captain move positions. That might've been enough for us to run him out of down when he was struggling.

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-21-08, 09:10 AM
Why do you write like that?

goin for 27
05-21-08, 09:17 AM
I agree on Jeter and I wish they had found a way to convince him to switch positions back then. But what's done is done - Jeter is staying at SS.

Why?

I can understand why they moved ARod to third, but like everyone else, knew that was not best for the ballclub.

There is no reason why Jeter cannot offer to move for the good of the team. And he should.

yankeeman61
05-21-08, 09:33 AM
Why?

I can understand why they moved ARod to third, but like everyone else, knew that was not best for the ballclub.

Probably because the Yankees thought they already had a SS who was also the Team Captain. Doesn't seem like ARod had a problem with it. What should the Yankees have done? Hey, Jete we know we made you captain but you're just not as good as ARod. Could you please scoot over to 3B or 1B or OF, wherever we really don't care. Just get out of the way. Alex is here now.

There is no reason why Jeter cannot offer to move for the good of the team. And he should.

He must think he can still play SS? :dunno:

The alternative is, "I agree with NYYFans that I stink at SS and they know everything so I should move for the good of the team" Maybe a signed sworn statement to this affect will satisfy everyone.

R.V.47
05-21-08, 10:02 AM
Jeter had an error last night, it happens. I think thats the least of this teams problems.

effdamets
05-21-08, 11:31 AM
Why?

"They" didn't move anyone anywhere. "They" didn't ask Alex or Derek to do anything other than play great baseball.
Alex volunteered to move to third to play on a team that had a chance to win a championship.

THEBOSS84
05-21-08, 11:37 AM
Abe, why do you write all your posts like that?

primetime714
05-21-08, 11:45 AM

Is that what's best for this team though? Don't get me wrong Jeter doesn't play even a decent SS. However he is the best offensive SS in the AL. If we go with Alberto Gonzalez we get better defense at the position but lose our offensive edge. Jeter would also move to a position like 1B or OF where he'd be average offensively.

At some point I think its obvious that Jeter will have to move from the position, but we also need to find a viable replacement before doing so. That could be Furcal this offseason or someone else down the line. In the meantime we'll have to live with his defense there because it doesn't make sense to move him now.

NYYDragoon
05-21-08, 11:47 AM
On noes, Jeter made a bad error and now he shouldn't be at short. On that note, we should have also sent Moose to catch, since apparently he can't pitch unless everything behind him goes smoothly.

Reactionary, much?

Toaderly
05-21-08, 11:48 AM
Abe, why do you write all your posts like that?

For those of us who don't read so quick. The slower he types, the better we can read his posts.

PhilHughesFan
05-21-08, 11:50 AM
On noes, Jeter made a bad error and now he shouldn't be at short. On that note, we should have also sent Moose to catch, since apparently he can't pitch unless everything behind him goes smoothly.

Reactionary, much?

I agree that its probably reactionary but Jeter isn't a good defensive SS and hasn't been for a while. Arod was the better SS when he came to the Yankees and they chose to move him instead of Jeter because of ego. It wasn't better for the team though and I can't image that you could argue that it was.

NYYDragoon
05-21-08, 11:52 AM
I agree that its probably reactionary but Jeter isn't a good defensive SS and hasn't been for a while. Arod was the better SS when he came to the Yankees and they chose to move him instead of Jeter because of ego. It wasn't better for the team though and I can't image that you could argue that it was.I'm not trying to defend Jeter's job in the field--don't get me wrong. But I think it's incredibly shortsighted to bring this discussion up again just because of last night. The whole team messed up...not just one man.

smckdwn989
05-21-08, 12:16 PM
the sky is falling the sky is falling!

*runs*

MissingBillyMartin
05-21-08, 01:28 PM
Maybe it is just easier writing about now while the sycophants are in hiding instead of screaming "JETER IS SUPER GOOD AT DEFENSE. HE IS THE CAPTAINZ!!!"

PinstripeDynasty
05-21-08, 01:31 PM
Why do you think infield defense would improve with Jeter at 3b? Isn't it likely that he would be worse there? It's a longer throw, and a position he's never played before.

MissingBillyMartin
05-21-08, 01:37 PM
Because you don't need as large a range (Jeter has the worst range of any Major League SS) and there are less balls hit to you aka Jeter will give up less hits.

iWant27
05-21-08, 01:40 PM
Why do you write like that?

Thats the way its coming from his heart .

Ynkcpt23
05-21-08, 02:05 PM
Thats the way its coming from his heart .

Slowly and well-spaced for near sighted people? ;)

yankeeman61
05-21-08, 02:14 PM
I'm not trying to defense Jeter's job in the field--don't get me wrong. But I think it's incredibly shortsighted to bring this discussion up again just because of last night. The whole team messed up...not just one man.

That's probably a wise decision around here

http://www.hawgleg.com/images/workbench/gallows/gallows_test.jpg

justtxyank
05-21-08, 02:22 PM
Hasn't Jeter said in interviews that he plans to play SS for multiple more seasons?

yankeeman61
05-21-08, 02:26 PM
Hasn't Jeter said in interviews that he plans to play SS for multiple more seasons?

Don't say that too loud or the threat level will be increased to orange

ocelittle
05-21-08, 02:31 PM
I read a poem,
Not a very good poem.
Go back to school Abe.

yankeeman61
05-21-08, 02:44 PM
Caption time

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2006/12/19/rtZAuaKB.jpg

"Jete, I'm playing short. You are going to 3rd if I
have to pick you up and move you there myself!"

effdamets
05-21-08, 03:13 PM
Because you don't need as large a range (Jeter has the worst range of any Major League SS) and there are less balls hit to you aka Jeter will give up less hits.
I'm pretty tired of this arguement.

While Jeter is not Ozzie Smith, we all get that, the 'metrics' are not exact.

Until they come up with an exact measurement of speed on ground balls and until they measure to the inch, the amount of acceptable steps to one's left and right, and until they have a measurement of baseball instinct (ie - cutoffs and post-play positioning) I am tired of hearing how bad Jeter is.

Defensive metrics are not exact by any stretch and they don't take into consideration how bad the pitching staff is.

As I've said in the past, show me a GM in the major leagues that wouldn't sprint to the opportunity to trade their shortstop for Jeter, because outside of Hanley Ramirez, I don't think there is anyone that can replace him at short.

Abe Frohman
05-21-08, 03:30 PM
you're right ... there is no one available right now that can replace Jeter because they're all tied up. defensively, id take a bunch of SS over jeter but they don't replace his offense. if I could choose a SS right now and move jeter to 1st or OF id take troy tulowitzki in a nano second. it def wouldn't be hanley ramirez cause he's bad at SS too, he just puts up gaudy numbers and will prob move to 3rd soon. my argument is that in retrospect this org made a bad call not putting the Talent that is AROD to full use just cause jeter is jeter. now theres no way out of it. I mean, if he could atleast make HIS plays itd be fine but every year he gets worse n worse. n he doesn't have more errors cause he doesn't get to the ball to even call it an error, so its ruled a hit. his range is disgustingly bad.

effdamets
05-21-08, 03:39 PM
you're right ... there is no one available right now that can replace Jeter because they're all tied up. defensively, id take a bunch of SS over jeter but they don't replace his offense. if I could choose a SS right now and move jeter to 1st or OF id take troy tulowitzki in a nano second. it def wouldn't be hanley ramirez cause he's bad at SS too, he just puts up gaudy numbers and will prob move to 3rd soon. my argument is that in retrospect this org made a bad call not putting the Talent that is AROD to full use just cause jeter is jeter. now theres no way out of it. I mean, if he could atleast make HIS plays itd be fine but every year he gets worse n worse. n he doesn't have more errors cause he doesn't get to the ball to even call it an error, so its ruled a hit. his range is disgustingly bad.
I don't agree with the taking of Toluwitski (sp?) in a heart beat. This guy has proven nothing with only one full season under his belt.

NHYank
05-21-08, 03:54 PM
ARod is not the answer for ss. He hasn't played it in 5 years . Jeter may have to move some day so finding a new ss will be the challenge.

goin for 27
05-21-08, 04:04 PM
He must think he can still play SS? :dunno:

The alternative is, "I agree with NYYFans that I stink at SS and they know everything so I should move for the good of the team" Maybe a signed sworn statement to this affect will satisfy everyone.

And Jeter CAN play SS. The problem is, he cannot play it nearly as well as ARod. I am not saying that he stinks. (Though his range IS limited.) All I am saying is that he is the second best SS on the left side of the infield, and should move over. Let me ask you, history, ego's, etc aside, if neither ARod/Jeter cared a lick, who would you play at SS?

MissingBillyMartin
05-21-08, 04:41 PM
I'm pretty tired of this arguement.
As I've said in the past, show me a GM in the major leagues that wouldn't sprint to the opportunity to trade their shortstop for Jeter, because outside of Hanley Ramirez, I don't think there is anyone that can replace him at short.

I don't think most GMs would trade for Jeter. He still has two more years of 20+ Million a year as well as the remainder of the 21.6 million this year. That alone takes him out of the radar of most teams. Then add the fact he is only tenth best offensive shortstop in baseball and the worst defensively, the only team I see wanting to do this is the Red Sox and even that is tenuous (I doubt Red Sox fans would want to see Jeter on their side).

Really the "any team would be happy to have Jeter" argument would have been sufficient but it is just not true anymore. He is just too overpaid at this point of his career.

yankeeman61
05-21-08, 07:14 PM
And Jeter CAN play SS. The problem is, he cannot play it nearly as well as ARod. I am not saying that he stinks. (Though his range IS limited.) All I am saying is that he is the second best SS on the left side of the infield, and should move over. Let me ask you, history, ego's, etc aside, if neither ARod/Jeter cared a lick, who would you play at SS?

The problem is a lot of people complaining do say he "stinks" or is the "worst" , which is ridiculous. I don't care which flawed range statistic is being used to back up this argument, he is far from being the worst defensive SS. So what if he can't go to his left so well? Nobody goes to the right better, nor ranges for popups better. He makes a throwing error last night (thanks to Cano's mental lapse) and people go nuts. How does anyone know if ARod is a better defensive SS at this point? He hasn't played there since 2003. So my answer is I would play Jeter at SS and ARod at 3B.

longtimeyankeefan
05-21-08, 10:23 PM

ARod has not played SS, except in emergency situations, for five seasons now.

To state that he is the better of the two defensive SS on the left side of the infield is pure speculation at this time.

At the time of the deal, perhaps the argument held water. But now, speculation is not what I base my lineup on.

Abe Frohman
05-21-08, 11:20 PM
ARod has not played SS, except in emergency situations, for five seasons now.

To state that he is the better of the two defensive SS on the left side of the infield is pure speculation at this time.

At the time of the deal, perhaps the argument held water. But now, speculation is not what I base my lineup on.

Definitely. My argument is in retrospect. We just dont know how A - ROD would do

now at SS. They made a bad call 4 years ago. Theres nothing they can do about it

now.

" Something - D - O - O Economics ... Anyone ? Anyone ? VOODOO Economics. '

b_joseph
05-22-08, 12:26 AM
Jete being at SS has not been the reason why we havent won a ring for a while and Alex playing SS would not have changed our fortunes.

So why exactly was this started again? Other than the fact that Jete is the Devil.

walesave
05-22-08, 12:37 AM
I read a poem,
Not a very good poem.
Go back to school Abe.

Nice haiku oh literary one :)

Bambino22
05-22-08, 12:47 AM
It isn't a stretch by any means to be confident in A-rod being a better SS than Jeter at this point.

It won't happen, though I really wish it would.

Krall
05-22-08, 12:57 AM
I don't think most GMs would trade for Jeter. He still has two more years of 20+ Million a year as well as the remainder of the 21.6 million this year. That alone takes him out of the radar of most teams. Then add the fact he is only tenth best offensive shortstop in baseball and the worst defensively, the only team I see wanting to do this is the Red Sox and even that is tenuous (I doubt Red Sox fans would want to see Jeter on their side).

Really the "any team would be happy to have Jeter" argument would have been sufficient but it is just not true anymore. He is just too overpaid at this point of his career.

I'd take him in a heartbeat if I was a MLB GM and then I'd look to find myself a Jeter for every other postion. If the Yankees are the most hated team by MLB owners then my team will make them look like babies as my team wins the crown jewel year after year after year ;)

Why? Cause you guys are off your rockers. You make Jeter sound like he plays as Melky did when first called up: LOST. Jeter is a solid SS who makes some pretty awesome plays. I highly doubt you'll see A-Rod take a dive into the stands just to get an out. I highly doubt upon getting pounded in the hand like Jeter did last night that you'd find A-Rod in the lineup the next day like Jeter was. Jeter clearly isn't numeral uno at SS but he brings so much more to the table then I can say about other SS.

walesave
05-22-08, 12:59 AM
If the goal of this arguement, moving A-Rod to SS, is to improve the team then I don't think it withstands scrutiny. Whatever improvement might be gained by moving A-Rod to SS would be offset by placing Jeter in an unfamiliar position and creating a hole at 3B. I hope no one is relying on that flawed U of Penn study to assess Jeter as a SS.

yankeeman61
05-22-08, 10:53 AM

And so this is what it has gotten to with the mindset of the Jeter critics. Just an overpaid average hitting, terrible defensive SS that no GM in the league would want. I would love to see an opinion poll from the ML GM's on this topic. I have a feeling the results would be on the other side of the universe from this opinion. Maybe after Jeter is retired and his replacement is truly average or worse some will appreciate what we've had all these years. On the other hand some may never get it and when their grandson asks if he saw this HOF 1st ballot Yankee play, the response would be, "Yes but he wasn't really that good. He was overrated and was overpaid".

:barf:

effdamets
05-22-08, 11:35 AM
And so this is what it has gotten to with the mindset of the Jeter critics. Just an overpaid average hitting, terrible defensive SS that no GM in the league would want. I would love to see an opinion poll from the ML GM's on this topic. I have a feeling the results would be on the other side of the universe from this opinion. Maybe after Jeter is retired and his replacement is truly average or worse some will appreciate what we've had all these years. On the other hand some may never get it and when their grandson asks if he saw this HOF 1st ballot Yankee play, the response would be, "Yes but he wasn't really that good. He was overrated and was overpaid".

Whadda great post! :D

MissingBillyMartin
05-22-08, 12:36 PM

If Derek Jeter was a free agent right now would you give him 3/62 million dollar contract? An 800 OPS shortstop (even with lets say fair defense) is good but not 20 million a year good? Was Derek Jeter 20 million good? Sure when his range was better and he was hitting better. You continue putting blinders on but 2008 Jeter is not Dynasty Jeter. He is 34, it is natural for players to regress. He has really regressed on the field. Outside of 2006, he has regressed at the plate.

No one is arguing that 98-01 wasn't one of the best that ever played but that was seven years ago. It was a more innocent time when the Red Sox were still cursed and no one could imagine Torre being run out of town by a Steinbrenner. Not looking forward to 2 and half more years of Jeter at SS does not mean you don't appreciate the last 12 years or so of excellent play he gave us. .

yankeeman61
05-22-08, 01:39 PM
If Derek Jeter was a free agent right now would you give him 3/62 million dollar contract? An 800 OPS shortstop (even with lets say fair defense) is good but not 20 million a year good? Was Derek Jeter 20 million good? Sure when his range was better and he was hitting better. You continue putting blinders on but 2008 Jeter is not Dynasty Jeter. He is 34, it is natural for players to regress. He has really regressed on the field. Outside of 2006, he has regressed at the plate.

No one is arguing that 98-01 wasn't one of the best that ever played but that was seven years ago. It was a more innocent time when the Red Sox were still cursed and no one could imagine Torre being run out of town by a Steinbrenner. Not looking forward to 2 and half more years of Jeter at SS does not mean you don't appreciate the last 12 years or so of excellent play he gave us. .

Your previous description of "who he is now" I cannot agree with in any way, shape or fashion. The way you depicted him as less than average, terrible defensively,and would generate no interest from any GM in baseball is what I disagree with wholeheartedly. Now you are asking me if I would sign him for the next 3 years? My answer is ab-so-f-ing-lute-ly!! The guy remains a winner, but to say he is overpaid is laughable, considering the Yankees overpay for everyone.

DontHateOnNumber2
05-22-08, 01:45 PM
http://tvmedia.ign.com/tv/image/article/742/742924/FriskyDingoKillface_1162349336-000.jpg

MissingBillyMartin
05-23-08, 01:08 PM
Your previous description of "who he is now" I cannot agree with in any way, shape or fashion. The way you depicted him as less than average, terrible defensively,and would generate no interest from any GM in baseball is what I disagree with wholeheartedly. Now you are asking me if I would sign him for the next 3 years? My answer is ab-so-f-ing-lute-ly!! The guy remains a winner, but to say he is overpaid is laughable, considering the Yankees overpay for everyone.

:wtf:

Seriously you think every GM in the game wants to give 62/3 to a 34 year old SS with around .800 OPS and poor range because he is a "winner"? That is the kind of sycophantic response that makes people think Yankee fans are dumb. Contracts like Jeter's are the reason the Yankees are in trouble this year. I can't wait until people start trying defend Posada's contract.

effdamets
05-23-08, 01:10 PM

Seriously you think every GM in the game wants to give 62/3 to a 34 year old SS with around .800 OPS and poor range because he is a "winner"? That is the kind of sycophantic response that makes people think Yankee fans are dumb. Contracts like Jeter's are the reason the Yankees are in trouble this year. I can't wait until people start trying defend Posada's contract.
Well - Jeter is a little more than just a winner...
It's OK that you don't like Jeter. There are a lot of Yankee fans that don't like him.
I always say the same thing to these types... maybe you should root for the Florida Marlins. They never over spend on players.

YankeesAce4Life
05-23-08, 01:25 PM
It's OK that you don't like Jeter. There are a lot of Yankee fans that don't like him.
I always say the same thing to these types... maybe you should root for the Florida Marlins. They never over spend on players.

How can anyone not like Derek Jeter? The guy is 34 and not what he used to be, but he gets the job done.

I think he should go into the outfield because he has speed and has a cannon for an arm. Just my :-2cents-:

teknetic
05-23-08, 01:37 PM

Contracts like Jeter? don't you mean Giambi? Pavano? Farnsworth? Igawa? of all those, you pick on the guy who's remained consistently good throughout the tenure of his contract?

MissingBillyMartin
05-23-08, 02:05 PM

Amazing. Simply amazing. Saying Derek Jeter is not what he use to be and is overpaid for the production he puts up now equates to not liking the Yankees.

I bet people want Bernie Williams back in CF. He has four rings dammit, he is winner.

If Jeter had the arm for right field (I am not sure), I would love to move him out there and let go of Abreu. But the thing is Jeter will never move.

effdamets
05-23-08, 02:10 PM
Amazing. Simply amazing. Saying Derek Jeter is not what he use to be and is overpaid for the production he puts up now equates to not liking the Yankees.

I bet people want Bernie Williams back in CF. He has four rings dammit, he is winner.

If Jeter had the arm for right field (I am not sure), I would love to move him out there and let go of Abreu. But the thing is Jeter will never move.
Once again, you are having trouble reading what was actually written.
I never questioned whther or not you (or anyone else) liked the yankees or not.

I said it was OK to not like Jeter. There are a lot of fans that don't.

MissingBillyMartin
05-23-08, 02:11 PM
Contracts like Jeter? don't you mean Giambi? Pavano? Farnsworth? Igawa? of all those, you pick on the guy who's remained consistently good throughout the tenure of his contract?

Well I was talking about Jeter but this team has so many bad contracts it is amazing. Jeter paid off until last year and I think it is going to be worse and worse going forward. The real killer will be when they extend him.

Posada's contract is by far the worst right now, as the probably very little chance he will play catcher throughout the whole contract. Giambi's was pretty terrible though he had three good years and we are almost out of it. Damon's was god awful, ARod's may turn out to be unbearable for the last couple of years.

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if any contract on this team is good. As much as I love what Cash has done with the farm, you got to hate how he pays people.

yankeeman61
05-23-08, 02:21 PM

Except that this wasn't the point you were trying to make! You described him as terrible defensively and the 10th best offensive shortstop that most GM's wouldn't trade for! Then you go and put him in a box between '98-'01 indicating those as his best years when he is actually only 2 years removed from an MVP season. Yeah, he is in such "decline"..:lol: I guess 200+ hits in each of his last 3 years is "declining". What a joke. AGAIN...just about everyone on the Yankees is overpaid

yankeeman61
05-23-08, 02:27 PM
Yes, what an offensive decline. This guy is the mark of consistency. How different is '98-01 from the last 3 years?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=5406

walesave
05-23-08, 02:37 PM
Pereniall all-star baseball players tend to get paid more at the end of their contract than at the beginning. The 'he's not worth the money' arguement ignores the fact that based on performance Jeter was underpaid for the first three years of his contract. Prior to going to salary arbitration in 1999, Jeter hadn't made over $1M per year. Also, equating dollars to on-field performance ignores the revenues garnered by the Yankees by merchandising Derek Jeter. Have you seen the number of #2 jerseys out there?

Allan
05-23-08, 03:51 PM

Are you expecting he'll get less when his contract comes up for renewal in a couple of years? I believe he is slated to earn $21 M in his final year. Do you think he'll take a pay cut? He'll likely play the same "respect" card that Torre and Rivera used.

MissingBillyMartin
05-24-08, 03:34 AM
Are you expecting he'll get less when his contract comes up for renewal in a couple of years? I believe he is slated to earn $21 M in his final year. Do you think he'll take a pay cut? He'll likely play the same "respect" card that Torre and Rivera used.

The point is that no one would want Jeter's 62/3 million contract. What team would take that on? Maybe the Red Sox.

yankeeman61
05-24-08, 09:25 AM
The point is that no one would want Jeter's 62/3 million contract. What team would take that on? Maybe the Red Sox.

Who really cares what he "gets"? You still haven't made a case for how he is a less productive player. Maybe that's because it's not possible.

a2ruYankee
05-29-08, 12:12 PM
It will never happen... nor should it.

The Yankees "woes" (for lack of a better word) would not be solved by that move(in the past or now).

The "effect" from such a move would do more harm than good and like I said it would not solve anything.

chris_5103
05-30-08, 10:42 AM
Abe, why do you write all your posts like that?Cause he is the sausage king of Chicago.