PDA

View Full Version : Hitting Rock Bottom

frostdude1
05-19-08, 03:39 PM
I was thinking about this earlier on. For the first time ever I think a part of me wants the Yankees to miss the playoffs so we can actually have a major shakeup.

I think making the playoffs again with this team would bring another first round loss again and then the Front Office can't really make major changes since they were good enough to make the playoffs and they'll just try to tweak it again with 1 or 2 players.

But if we actually miss the playoffs and God knows with media, it would be a crisis zone in the Fall and Cash would have all the power to get rid of whoever he wants and make the trades he's wanted to for the past couple of years.

Is anyone in this tough predicament like I am ?

THEBOSS84
05-19-08, 03:42 PM
You know, this is EXACTLY how I felt this time last year yet we ended up making the playoffs.

I completely understand your POV.

If we are not gonna make the playoffs, I would prefer that our team be atleast 10 games back at the trading deadline so we can really wheel and deal.

Also, if we were to have a bottom 15 record we would not lose our first round pick when signing Tex or CC, which is a major bonus.

frostdude1
05-19-08, 03:45 PM
You know, this is EXACTLY how I felt this time last year yet we ended up making the playoffs.

Yea exactly, and we ended up getting knocked out in the playoffs by a team with better pitchers. And course since we made the playoffs, the season wasn't a disaster and the front office didn't make major changes. Torre was going to be let go either way so that doesn't count.

THEBOSS84
05-19-08, 03:48 PM
It would be so much better from a rebuild standpoint if the team sucked the entire year as opposed to battling for a playoff spot and missing out.

Yankee Tripper
05-19-08, 03:51 PM
No I want the 3 kids to pitch the second half of the season like 3 guys you'd be nuts to trade for Johan Santana.

I'm not expecting that but no I don't want to miss the damn playoffs either just becuase I'm worried we "might lose in the first round". If a sucky team like the Cardinals can win the WS with the likes of Jeff Freakin' Weaver in their rotation then I'll take my chances with a possible 1st round exit if the Yanks can get their act together enough to make it.

As for wholesale changes where would they come from. If you ship out the likes of Abreu, Damon, Matsui, Pettitte, Musina, Giambi by trade/non-renewal who would replace them? Unless the Yanks will heavily subsidize the reamining money on any of those contracts we would be getting less than zero talent in return.

Outside of Tex, CC and possibly Sheets (if you think he'll be healthy) what's on the FA martket worth going after in 2009? Even w/o a wholesale selloff the Yanks wouldn't be priced out of the market on any of those 3.

teknetic
05-19-08, 04:42 PM
It's a tough predicament. We've seen the same lifeless offense now the last 3 years and the last 4 games of the '04 ALCS. Asides from Damon and Giambi, what can you do? (Abreu and Matsui are still somewhat productive)

R.V.47
05-19-08, 04:53 PM
It would be so much better from a rebuild standpoint if the team sucked the entire year as opposed to battling for a playoff spot and missing out.

It would also be nice to not have a 200 million dollar payroll and be "rebuilding". If I hear Cashman or Girardi or any member of the FO say this was a rebuilding year I will go nuts because that is a flat out lie and an excuse for an underachieving team. Its like something out of the Isiah Thomas playbook.

wardsp
05-19-08, 05:42 PM
Having a 200 million payroll and having to say we are rebuilding is really rock bottom. Just think of how many bad decisions had to be made to make such an absurdity actually make sense. Tampa's total payroll is 43 million and they are a much much better team.

Yankee Tripper
05-19-08, 05:51 PM
It would also be nice to not have a 200 million dollar payroll and be "rebuilding". If I hear Cashman or Girardi or any member of the FO say this was a rebuilding year I will go nuts because that is a flat out lie and an excuse for an underachieving team. Its like something out of the Isiah Thomas playbook.No being the SF Giants would be rock bottom. At least we have a supposed plan for rebuiling the minors and a pipeline of alleged talent to fall back on, the Giants don't even have that. But yeah an under achieving $200M team reminds me of the late 90 Os a team that got old overnight and didn't recover. I'd be more concerned if some of our older underperforming talent was locked up long term but realisitically if everything does go to hell in a hand basket they can cut ties with Abreu, Pettitte, Mussina, Farnsworth, Hawkins, & Giambi at the end of this year and Damon & Matsui at the end of next and make it a "relatively quick" rebuild. Now if A-rod, Jeter, Posada & Mo "older players" with imovable contracts who are locked up for 3+ years each start to look bad, we are in real trouble.

b_joseph
05-19-08, 05:52 PM
Having a 200 million payroll and having to say we are rebuilding is really rock bottom. Just think of how many bad decisions had to be made to make such an absurdity actually make sense. Tampa's total payroll is 43 million and they are a much much better team.Give us 10 straight draft picks in the top 5 of the draft and we'll have a great cheap team also.

Oh and at the end of the season, their cheap team will be behind ours.

b_joseph
05-19-08, 05:55 PM
Missing the playoffs the year before going into a new ballpark is not an option. The Yankees are big business and rebuilding is not something that is to be associated with them.

Improve and develop on the fly. Just like we have done with Melky, Cano and Wang.

Chopped Matsui
05-19-08, 05:56 PM
Does anyone think the opposite? That, if the Yankees do indeed miss the playoffs, Cashman will be gone faster than you can say "200 million." I don't know, I just have a feeling that if the young pitchers keep struggling and this team plays to a .500 clip or so and misses the playoffs, Hank Steinbrenner is going to go insane and completely take charge. And that is the LAST thing I would ever want to happen.

wardsp
05-19-08, 06:01 PM
Give us 10 straight draft picks in the top 5 of the draft and we'll have a great cheap team also.

200 million dollars should make up for draft picks. Forget the disparity in money even, and we are still a mediocre team. How could Cashman

a) leave us with almost not bench.
b) No lefty pitchers.
c) NO backup plan if the young pitchers struggled mightily.
d) Almost no young position players coming up

Yankee Tripper
05-19-08, 06:07 PM
200 million dollars should make up for draft picks. Forget the disparity in money even, and we are still a mediocre team. How could Cashman

Well Molina, Betemit, Ducan & Ensberg were supposed to be a much stronger bench then we've had the last 4 years or so. They wevern't supposed to be exposed as full time starters due to A-rod, Po injuries

b) No lefty pitchers.
Which FA lefty was he supposed to sign and what talent in farm system would you have spent to get a lefty? And no unrealistic Eric Ducan for Damaso Marte deals please.

Um again what FA were you going to sign? We were supposed to have 6 starters with the kids and Igawa, Rasner, Karsten, Horne was the back up plan.

They have concentrated on pitching in the draft and rightly so IMO. FA position players are easier to acquire these days than FA pitchers but they do have some young talent in the system just not MLB ready and as always not all prospects, even blue chippers pan out, that's why they are prospects and not MLBers.

THEBOSS84
05-19-08, 06:08 PM
I agree with everything Tripper just said.

b_joseph
05-19-08, 06:12 PM

b) No lefty pitchers.
d) Almost no young position players coming upMoney doesnt make up for it at all.

We dont have a bench because our main bench bat isnt healthy...Betemit. And we have 2 starters that are injured. Its kinda hard to have a bench under those circumstances.

Who cares about a lefty. Good pitching is good pitching and our bullpen has been very good this season...on the whole.

What did you expect him to do? Go out and spend 10's of million on a pitcher and say, ''we'll sign you but you'll be in the bullpen if Ike and Hughes pitch well''?? No experienced pitcher would sign on those terms.

Gardner, Miranda, Jackson, Tabata, Curtis....

Gonna stop moaning now?

b_joseph
05-19-08, 06:12 PM
Well said Tripper...beat me to it.

wardsp
05-19-08, 06:24 PM
Money doesnt make up for it at all.

We dont have a bench because our main bench bat isnt healthy...Betemit. And we have 2 starters that are injured. Its kinda hard to have a bench under those circumstances.

Who cares about a lefty. Good pitching is good pitching and our bullpen has been very good this season...on the whole.

What did you expect him to do? Go out and spend 10's of million on a pitcher and say, ''we'll sign you but you'll be in the bullpen if Ike and Hughes pitch well''?? No experienced pitcher would sign on those terms.

Gardner, Miranda, Jackson, Tabata, Curtis....

Gonna stop moaning now?

Moaning? Ok, well, I was respectful in my post. I kind of would like the same in return. This is not a good team as constructed. Put all the conditionals you want on it, and its still not a very good team. Other teams seem to be able to solve their problems with a lot less money. Sure, we don't have the draft picks, but we have the deepest pockets. We should be able to be in some other position than last place with a 200 million payroll.

If you would like to argue that getting two players back will solve all our problems, I accept that and hope you are right.

Don't confuse being frustrated with wanting the team to fail or bashing the team. If you are correct and I am wrong, than all the better.

I think you will find that a lot of people disagree with your assessment.

Yankee Tripper
05-19-08, 06:38 PM
Moaning? Ok, well, I was respectful in my post. I kind of would like the same in return. This is not a good team as constructed. Put all the conditionals you want on it, and its still not a very good team. Other teams seem to be able to solve their problems with a lot less money. Sure, we don't have the draft picks, but we have the deepest pockets. We should be able to be in some other position than last place with a 200 million payroll.

If you would like to argue that getting two players back will solve all our problems, I accept that and hope you are right.

Don't confuse being frustrated with wanting the team to fail or bashing the team. If you are correct and I am wrong, than all the better.

I think you will find that a lot of people disagree with your assessment.
I don't have a problem with the team construction. What was supposed to be done? This is the same lineup that lead the majors in runs scored last year by a good bit and was making the following upgrades to the bench that would indicate that our team should be a lot better than it is now offensively and should be similar to the team that batted .300 after the ASB last year.

A full season of Betemit to replace Cairo
A full season of Molina to replace Nieves
A healthy year from Giambi to replace the collection of (Menketiewitz/Phillis/others) at 1B
Duncan/Ensberg to provide right handed pop off the bench.

The rotation was supposed to be pretty stable with: Wang, Pettitte, Hughes, Mussina, Kennedy and if one of Kennedy/Hughes/Mussina should fail well Joba would replace them mid season and one of the other guys Igawa, Rasner, Karstens, Horne should at least be able to fill in at close to league average for a spell. They had to be better or at least as good as last year right? Well no they haven't even been as good as last year.

The pen was built around power arms, they brought in a few sitiuational lefties that didn't work out but so far the pen has been the least of our worries this year which is a big difference from the last few years when it was Mo and whose gonna get him the ball.

The fact that it hasn't worked due to injuries and underperformance makes for great second guessing though I'll agree with that.

Bub
05-19-08, 06:51 PM
I don't agree with the premise. Once A-Rod and Posada get back, what are we missing to get into a very hot streak?

Good RH leadoff batter.
Good lefty in the pen.

We make the playoffs this year. I'm much less concerned than I was last year at this time, and it has nothing to do with the records.

teknetic
05-19-08, 07:07 PM
I don't agree with the premise. Once A-Rod and Posada get back, what are we missing to get into a very hot streak?

Good RH leadoff batter.
Good lefty in the pen.

We make the playoffs this year. I'm much less concerned than I was last year at this time, and it has nothing to do with the records.

Brett Gardner dies a bit inside everytime Damon pops up to the infield.

wardsp
05-19-08, 07:15 PM
The fact that it hasn't worked due to injuries and underperformance makes for great second guessing though I'll agree with that.

It's more than just underperformance. Here's perhaps a better worded evaluation by bomber999

--------------------

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=111316&page=3

I'm sorry, but I think that you are looking at the situation through rose-colored glasses. It is true that ARod and Po's absence has damaged the team offensively, and that the offense will be better when they return. However, the offense wasn't exactly gangbusters prior to those injuries. Essentially, you have a bunch of streaky hitters who are quite underwhelming in terms of situational hitting in general, and poor in the clutch. Even at best, theirs is a highly inconsistent offense, equally capable on a given day of putting up 6 runs or making the most pedestrian of pitchers look like a Cy Young contender.

Giambi, were the Yankees better constructed, would best serve this team as a part-time DH and pinch hitter. He is capable of hitting it out, but not much more. He is, fairly demonstrably, past the point where he can be a consistently productive major league player.

This is not getting a lot of discussion, but our bench once again is abysmal. Yes, we have had key injuries, but other teams have been smarter about crafting deeper benches of solid, competent hitters, so that they have greater depth and greater ability to withstand injuries. In the dynasty years, when Bernie went down, we had Chad Curtis. We also had Strawberry and Raines, even Shane Spencer. I hate to use this example, but the Red Sox have Sean Casey as backup 1B- he is hitting .345, gives veteran leadership, and there is no reason why we can't have such players as well, if our GM showed a little bit of creativity and greater baseball acumen, instead of taking flyers on players dropped from mediocre teams or rolling the dice on unproven rookies expected to play key roles on this team.

Finally, let's face it- we have one top-notch starting pitcher-CMW- who would be a #1 or #2 on a contending/championship team. Pettitte was never dominant in his prime and appears to have lost a step from there. He now appears to have caught Mike Mussina disease, which is pitching just well enough to lose. Even though he is considered our #2 starter, he is not nearly as good as our top competitors' #2, and it shows- he is consistently getting outpitched. Mussina and Rasner have been nice surprises thus far, but neither can be counted on to pitch on their current level for an entire season. They are in the Chacon/Small/Al Leiter's first start against Boston category. The fact that we have a team that has a payroll of over $200 million and has ONE consistently reliable starting pitcher is inexcusable. We have three good pitchers in total- CMW, Mo, Joba. I am not ready to anoint Hughes and Kennedy as anything other than prospects (who thus far have underwhelmed, to say the least) until they show me evidence to the contrary.

This is a little more nebulous, admittedly, but it seems to me that, since around 2003, the Yankees have been a team with a collective glass jaw (often in key games), becoming progressively pulseless. A major shakeup might actually help this franchise considerably in the long-term.

The verdict: mediocre team, poorly constructed.

4bronxbombers
05-19-08, 07:18 PM

I completely understand your POV.

If we are not gonna make the playoffs, I would prefer that our team be atleast 10 games back at the trading deadline so we can really wheel and deal.

Also, if we were to have a bottom 15 record we would not lose our first round pick when signing Tex or CC, which is a major bonus.

I said the same thing to Jason today. If we are doing poorly around trade time thing will happen. If not, things are complacent and not much will be done. IMO things need to get done with this current team.

yanksphan
05-19-08, 07:27 PM
Yea exactly, and we ended up getting knocked out in the playoffs by a team with better pitchers. And course since we made the playoffs, the season wasn't a disaster and the front office didn't make major changes. Torre was going to be let go either way so that doesn't count.

Torre wasn't let go. He was asked to come back.

HE chose not to come back.

b_joseph
05-19-08, 07:59 PM

Good RH leadoff batter.
Good lefty in the pen.

We make the playoffs this year. I'm much less concerned than I was last year at this time, and it has nothing to do with the records.No need for the RH lead off guy...Damon will eventually start hitting lefties.

IMO, Leftie relievers in the pen have always been a luxary.

Its going to be a lot of fun bringing up these threads 3 months from now. It reminds me of all the people who thought the Rangers should have traded Jagr at the deadline.
Or the folks ( myself included ) who gave up on Eli Manning and the Giants.

Ericas367
05-19-08, 08:38 PM
It's only May..seems like everyone tends to think its August or September, no need to draw the white flag this early in the season. No one would have known that we would lose Alex, Jo-Po and Hughes this season especially since Alex has been a work horse for the Yankees since he has put on the pinstripes. It's better that we are having these problems now in April and May and not after the all-star break..we still have enough games and talent to make this season a good one. Most of our guys will be back soon so everyone should just show some patience. I'm very optimistic as you can see.

Allan
05-19-08, 09:00 PM

b) No lefty pitchers.
Probably because much of the $200 million is tied up in a handful of "star" players. Grossly overpaying people like Giambi, Jeter, Posada, Rivera, Pettitte and Mussina will inflate payroll without necessarily giving us the most for our money.

yankeeman61
05-19-08, 09:29 PM
What if it's an abyss?

Prison Mike
05-19-08, 09:37 PM
Rock bottom could be both highly touted Boston young pitchers have now thrown no-hitters, and ours are struggling to keep their ERA's below 9.00.

ksison
05-19-08, 10:17 PM
Rock bottom could be both highly touted Boston young pitchers have now thrown no-hitters, and ours are struggling to keep their ERA's below 9.00.

good thing that hasnt happened yet....

oh wait.

BroadwayBomber55
05-19-08, 10:39 PM
It's only May..seems like everyone tends to think its August or September, no need to draw the white flag this early in the season. No one would have known that we would lose Alex, Jo-Po and Hughes this season especially since Alex has been a work horse for the Yankees since he has put on the pinstripes. It's better that we are having these problems now in April and May and not after the all-star break..we still have enough games and talent to make this season a good one. Most of our guys will be back soon so everyone should just show some patience. I'm very optimistic as you can see.
I agree. The problem is not the structure of this team.

It's execution. If you don't execute effectively in all areas of the game and in all situations, you won't win games and championships.

-tz
05-19-08, 10:43 PM
Sorry, but I don't want the Yankees to keep on playing like they've been playing. When that happens, they're no fun to watch.

I want them to play well and win games. That's fun to watch.

BroadwayBomber55
05-19-08, 10:47 PM
Sorry, but I don't want the Yankees to keep on playing like they've been playing. When that happens, they're no fun to watch.

I want them to play well and win games. That's fun to watch.
I also want them to keep going, playing, executing hard and effectively every night to win games.

effdamets
05-20-08, 08:09 AM
I honestly don't believe that the Yankees would have this so called "great shake up" if they missed the playoffs this season.
I think they will just go out and over spend for a bunch of free agents like Teixeira and Sabathia, which can happen even if they make the playoffs, but, I think their offers will be ridiculously stupid if they miss the post season.

It'll be the same "putting a band-aid on cancer" philosophy that we've seen for 5 years or so.

Toaderly
05-20-08, 08:11 AM
"Hitting Rock Effing Bottom" would have made this thread more popular. Just sayin'.

yankeeman61
05-20-08, 09:35 AM
http://www.jonco48.com/blog/RockBottom.jpg

themgmt
05-20-08, 09:41 AM
Give us 10 straight draft picks in the top 5 of the draft and we'll have a great cheap team also.

Ditt freaking O

Someone find the panic button or him

themgmt
05-20-08, 09:46 AM
It's more than just underperformance. Here's perhaps a better worded evaluation by bomber999

--------------------

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=111316&page=3

I'm sorry, but I think that you are looking at the situation through rose-colored glasses. It is true that ARod and Po's absence has damaged the team offensively, and that the offense will be better when they return. However, the offense wasn't exactly gangbusters prior to those injuries. Essentially, you have a bunch of streaky hitters who are quite underwhelming in terms of situational hitting in general, and poor in the clutch. Even at best, theirs is a highly inconsistent offense, equally capable on a given day of putting up 6 runs or making the most pedestrian of pitchers look like a Cy Young contender.

Giambi, were the Yankees better constructed, would best serve this team as a part-time DH and pinch hitter. He is capable of hitting it out, but not much more. He is, fairly demonstrably, past the point where he can be a consistently productive major league player.

This is not getting a lot of discussion, but our bench once again is abysmal. Yes, we have had key injuries, but other teams have been smarter about crafting deeper benches of solid, competent hitters, so that they have greater depth and greater ability to withstand injuries. In the dynasty years, when Bernie went down, we had Chad Curtis. We also had Strawberry and Raines, even Shane Spencer. I hate to use this example, but the Red Sox have Sean Casey as backup 1B- he is hitting .345, gives veteran leadership, and there is no reason why we can't have such players as well, if our GM showed a little bit of creativity and greater baseball acumen, instead of taking flyers on players dropped from mediocre teams or rolling the dice on unproven rookies expected to play key roles on this team.

Finally, let's face it- we have one top-notch starting pitcher-CMW- who would be a #1 or #2 on a contending/championship team. Pettitte was never dominant in his prime and appears to have lost a step from there. He now appears to have caught Mike Mussina disease, which is pitching just well enough to lose. Even though he is considered our #2 starter, he is not nearly as good as our top competitors' #2, and it shows- he is consistently getting outpitched. Mussina and Rasner have been nice surprises thus far, but neither can be counted on to pitch on their current level for an entire season. They are in the Chacon/Small/Al Leiter's first start against Boston category. The fact that we have a team that has a payroll of over $200 million and has ONE consistently reliable starting pitcher is inexcusable. We have three good pitchers in total- CMW, Mo, Joba. I am not ready to anoint Hughes and Kennedy as anything other than prospects (who thus far have underwhelmed, to say the least) until they show me evidence to the contrary.

This is a little more nebulous, admittedly, but it seems to me that, since around 2003, the Yankees have been a team with a collective glass jaw (often in key games), becoming progressively pulseless. A major shakeup might actually help this franchise considerably in the long-term.

The verdict: mediocre team, poorly constructed.

The Verdict: Yankees Losing, upset complaining fan.

That sounds like a bunch of blah blah blah to me. I'd like to see what's said when the Yankees are pounding the crap out of the ball and are right back in the hunt. Same people that counted the Yankees out last year spoke as if their word was gospel.

Mark19
05-20-08, 09:52 AM
I've only became old enough to become a serious fan in 1992-93. Back then, I was more interested in seeing an entertaining game than investing myself in the ultimate fate of a decidedly mediocre team. Since then, I'm not sure I've seen a team with such poor chemistry and execution. It is almost as if each player takes a turn screwing the game up with very poor decisions. It seems like there is no direction or coordination. We can still go down but not for long. Eventually, something is going to click.

wardsp
05-20-08, 09:54 AM
I want the team to win just as much as you. The anger is uncalled for.

Mark19
05-20-08, 06:31 PM
We just got quite a bit closer

Torre Must Go
05-20-08, 06:36 PM
Ladies and gentlemen: we have officially hit rock bottom, 5/20, 1st inning.

When we make the playoffs, we'll laugh at this moment.

webassign
05-20-08, 06:39 PM

That's going in my signature.

Guiseppe Franco
05-20-08, 06:49 PM
I think seven runs in the top of the first -- TO BALTIMORE -- qualifies for rock bottom.

Mark19
05-20-08, 07:12 PM
I'm glad New York is known for its sense of humor. If these guys pulled what they are pulling in Philly, they would get their homes burned down.

kongull
05-20-08, 07:13 PM
I'm glad New York is known for its sense of humor. If these guys pulled what they are pulling in Philly, they would get their homes burned down.

Very true. Good point.

Martini6196
05-20-08, 07:17 PM
I'd say this is it. Moose has been so good that i'm not surprised he had one of his meltdown moments tonight. Ump had a tight strike zone and moose let that and Jeter's error get in his head.

silverdsl
05-20-08, 07:24 PM
I think seven runs in the top of the first -- TO BALTIMORE -- qualifies for rock bottom.I'd like to think that but to me rock bottom is if they're still in last place in August with no hope of the playoffs.

hellonewman
05-20-08, 07:25 PM
Your 2008 New York Yankees.

Prison Mike
05-20-08, 07:27 PM
Rock bottom would be Jeter getting hit in the hand by a Daniel Cabrera fastball when the team is losing 9-0.

Wouldn't that suck?

yankeesnumber1
05-20-08, 07:28 PM
Rock bottom would be Jeter getting hit in the hand by a Daniel Cabrera fastball when the team is losing 9-0.

Wouldn't that suck?

Imagine that....

Mark19
05-20-08, 07:33 PM
Knowing your team won't retaliate feels even worse.

Torre Must Go
05-20-08, 07:36 PM
I wouldn't exactly cry if Farnsworth hits Millar.

flymick24

pretty sure someone will throw them a shovel

yankeeman61
Here we are:

http://img.slate.com/media/1/123125/2120134/050612_BadNewsBears_ex.jpg

flymick24
05-20-08, 07:38 PM
Here we are:

why would you insult the BNB like that? :mad:

goin for 27
05-20-08, 08:37 PM

I really hope so. I kept telling myself that getting waxed by the Mets was rock bottom, but they set a new low tonight in the first inning. I am afraid to ask if it can get any worse....

Mark19
05-20-08, 08:44 PM
are we better than anyone?

Prison Mike
05-20-08, 08:47 PM
The Padres- they really suck.

YanksFan1992
05-20-08, 08:47 PM

Well now that Peavy is hurt, the Padres...maybe. :P

yankeeman61
05-20-08, 09:01 PM

Billy Martin once asked a pitcher if there was anyone in the league he could get out. If he could point him out, he would let him pitch to that batter.

That was Ron Guidry before Sparky Lyle taught him the slider

apalradio
05-20-08, 09:42 PM
Rock bottom is never where you think it is. We still haven't tasted it. This is going to get worse before getting better.

Allan
05-20-08, 09:47 PM
The poor Yankees. The poor, poor, pitiful Yankees. Things can't get much worse........ can they?

BroadwayBomber55
05-20-08, 09:55 PM
The Verdict: Yankees Losing, upset complaining fan.

That sounds like a bunch of blah blah blah to me. I'd like to see what's said when the Yankees are pounding the crap out of the ball and are right back in the hunt. Same people that counted the Yankees out last year spoke as if their word was gospel.

I want the team to win just as much as you. The anger is uncalled for.

I'm upset like a lot of Yankee fans here right now, but I'm not going to challenge everyone here to make them believe the Yankees will turn it around and make the playoffs.

Do I have to challenge everyone here and prove I'm right about the Yankees bouncing back and making the playoffs and acting like I'm above the law when it comes to baseball? Absolutely not.

justinvarnes
05-20-08, 10:00 PM
This has all the makings of a cliche' baseball movie.

teknetic
05-20-08, 11:20 PM
This has all the makings of a cliche' baseball movie.

We haven't had a baseball movie of a team with a stockpile of talent and a a $200million payroll, sucking. I'm sure you could scrap together some newspaper clippings from this year and start up a script. The Yankees and/or Tigers can compete for the leading role.

YeOldeGnurd
05-20-08, 11:35 PM
Now I'll admit it has been weird watching Moose alternate between horrendous outings and brilliant outings. But this ain't rock bottom. I just checked baseball statistics. On this date last year. the Yankees were 20 - 23, 9 1/2 games behind the Red Sox. Today, they are only a half game back of that record, 20 - 24, and only 6 1/2 games behind the Sox.

It may be reasonable to say that the inexplicable problems last year had solutions that this year's edition won't be able to pull out of a hat (where's the next Hughes?) But the current standings are as favorable to the Yankees than they were last year, and they made it to the playoffs last year.

Since 2000, the Red Sox have been in first place on this date every year, except 2003, when the Yanks led Boston by a game, and 2005, when Baltimore led Boston by a game. But the Sox have only 1 division crown this decade (2007), with the Yankees making the playoffs every darn year.

sugmasterflex
05-21-08, 01:59 AM
Missing the playoffs the year before going into a new ballpark is not an option. The Yankees are big business and rebuilding is not something that is to be associated with them.

Improve and develop on the fly. Just like we have done with Melky, Cano and Wang.

Anytime you put business over baseball it is very dangerous.

26 and counting
05-21-08, 07:41 AM
How in the world are the Yankees 6.5 games behind Tampa Bay? If I was in a coma since the beginning of April and woke up just now, I would have thought that I was in bizzaro world.

Mark19
05-21-08, 09:02 AM
Rock bottom has to include a pair of O's fans talking trash in our forum.

R.V.47
05-21-08, 09:08 AM
How in the world are the Yankees 6.5 games behind Tampa Bay? If I was in a coma since the beginning of April and woke up just now, I would have thought that I was in bizzaro world.

I think that can be answered pretty easily actually. The Rays have a better lineup with more team speed, and a better starting rotation.

Yankees Empire
05-21-08, 05:50 PM
Here we are:

Shoot, I bet Amanda Whirlitzer would be our team's ace right about now.

VFBundy
05-22-08, 10:07 PM
Shoot, I bet Amanda Whirlitzer would be our team's ace right about now.But look at our new tough-ass outfielder...

http://www.laist.com/attachments/tony/JackieEarleHaley1.jpg