PDA

View Full Version : The Bad, The Good and The Ugly..pt quatro

mycroft
05-12-08, 10:16 AM
The Bad and The Really Ugly-There is just no excuse possible that can be spewed by the politically correct YES announcing team that can come close to justifying a 19 and 19 record. Injuries are a fact of the game and only losers use injuries to try to excuse their stink. Injuries should be looked at as opportunities for other's to succeed. The only reason I can imagine that Cashman still has his job is for some reason the sawks have waited on us and we sit back 4 games going into tonight's series against the Rays. Yesterday's rainout means; however, that "Iggy" can be passed over and Pettitte will go tonight. The fact that the Yanks are forced to keep Igawa in the rotation, more due to his gaudy salary than anything else, shows just how desperate we are for a 5th starter. The fact that we are still discussing Pavano's return is just ridiculous. $200,000.00 and we are even through 38 games...and Torre is in La, Mel and Guidry are at the house, and this team is still in disarray. Huh. Maybe, just maybe the problem lies elsewhere.

Now that I have berated this team I will now look at the Good and there is reason for optimism. Rivera is the Man! He is Sandman, there is no doubt. Add Joba to the back of the bullpen and these two guys are just flat out get’er dun. Farnsworth has pitched better in his last several attempts than at any other time I can remember and the fact that he got out of that last mess he created on his own has to boost his confidence which should help his next performance, building on the positive. Even with several injuries to the bull pen they are doing a very good job and hopefully that will continue. Giambi and Cano have been coming around albeit very slowly and hopefully with the warm weather of Tampa their bats will continue to warm. The main problem with our offense is RISP and that is a theme that has leaped over the last 2 or 3 seasons. ARod is constantly chided for his lack of RBI production and he should be. ARod is paid to drive in runs but the problem doesn’t stop there. Everyone in this lineup has stranded way too many runners way too many times and that is the main area the offense HAS to improve. Runners on second and first with no outs and the not only do we come up empty but they can’t even move up one stinking base. I don’t know what the answer is to this problem but it was going on when ARod and Posada were in the lineup and their absence hasn’t changed much, but their speedy returns is needed plus the resurgence of Giambi and Cano.

It is a long season and the hole we are in this year is by no means as bad as last but that isn’t due to our play but more to the problems the sawks are having. I am optimistic that this team can turn it around but sustained success will hinge their ability to drive in runs and get quality starts. I do not believe that our existing starting staff is good enough but Rasner has been a nice surprise. Somehow, some way we need to find another effective starting pitcher but where or who that pitcher is I have no clue and I sincerely doubt Pavano will be the answer but I know Iggy will never be the answer.

dabomb2045
05-12-08, 10:19 AM
The Bad and The Really Ugly-There is just no excuse possible that can be spewed by the politically correct YES announcing team that can come close to justifying a 19 and 19 record. Injuries are a fact of the game and only losers use injuries to try to excuse their stink. Injuries should be looked at as opportunities for other's to succeed. The only reason I can imagine that Cashman still has his job is for some reason the sawks have waited on us and we sit back 4 games going into tonight's series against the Rays. Yesterday's rainout means; however, that "Iggy" can be passed over and Pettitte will go tonight. The fact that the Yanks are forced to keep Igawa in the rotation, more due to his gaudy salary than anything else, shows just how desperate we are for a 5th starter. The fact that we are still discussing Pavano's return is just ridiculous. $200,000.00 and we are even through 38 games...and Torre is in La, Mel and Guidry are at the house, and this team is still in disarray. Huh. Maybe, just maybe the problem lies elsewhere.ffice:office" /><O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
Now that I have berated this team I will now look at the Good and there is reason for optimism. Rivera is the Man! He is Sandman, there is no doubt. Add Joba to the back of the bullpen and these two guys are just flat out getíer dun. Farnsworth has pitched better in his last several attempts than at any other time I can remember and the fact that he got out of that last mess he created on his own has to boost his confidence which should help is next performance, building on the positive. Even with several injuries to the bull pen they are doing a very good job and hopefully that will continue. Giambi and Cano have been coming around albeit very slowly and hopefully with the warm weather of ffice:smarttags" /><?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://forums.nyyfans.com/ /><st1:City w:st=<ST1:place w:st="on">Tampa</ST1:place></st1:City> their bats will continue to warm. The main problem with our offense is RISP and that is a theme that has leaped over the last 2 or 3 seasons. ARod is constantly chided for his lack of RBI production and he should be. ARod is paid to drive in runs but the problem doesnít stop there. Everyone in this lineup has stranded way too many runners way too many times and that is the main area the offense HAS to improve. Runners on second and first with no outs and the not only due we come up empty but they canít even move up one stinking base. I donít know what the answer is to this problem but it was going on when ARod and Posada were in the lineup and their absence hasnít changed much, but their speedy returns is needed plus the resurgence of Giambi and Cano. It is a long season and the hole we are in this year is by no means as bad as last but that isnít due to our play but more to the problems the sawks are having. <O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
I am optimistic that this team can turn it around but sustained success will hinge their ability to drive in run and get quality starts. I do not believe that our existing starting staff is good enough but Rasner has been a nice surprise. Somehow, some way we need to find another effective starting pitcher but where or who that pitcher is I have no clue and I sincerely doubt Pavano will be the answer but I know Iggy will never be the answer.

What I get from this post is:

1) Cashman sucks and should be fired
2) ARod sucks

Well I feel smarter now

KLJ
05-12-08, 10:21 AM
rivera is good

the rest of the team is bad

shelly duncan is ugly..

hatfieldms
05-12-08, 10:26 AM
Yeah you are exactly right. Cahsman should be canned, injuired are no excuse, nevermind that the injuries have happened to our best players, it still isnt an excuse. I am sure if the Sox lost Manny and Varitek, and Lester they wouldnt miss a beat. Do you have anymore nuggets of wisdom for us or will this just about cover it?

The Bad and The Really Ugly-There is just no excuse possible that can be spewed by the politically correct YES announcing team that can come close to justifying a 19 and 19 record. Injuries are a fact of the game and only losers use injuries to try to excuse their stink. Injuries should be looked at as opportunities for other's to succeed. The only reason I can imagine that Cashman still has his job is for some reason the sawks have waited on us and we sit back 4 games going into tonight's series against the Rays. Yesterday's rainout means; however, that "Iggy" can be passed over and Pettitte will go tonight. The fact that the Yanks are forced to keep Igawa in the rotation, more due to his gaudy salary than anything else, shows just how desperate we are for a 5th starter. The fact that we are still discussing Pavano's return is just ridiculous. $200,000.00 and we are even through 38 games...and Torre is in La, Mel and Guidry are at the house, and this team is still in disarray. Huh. Maybe, just maybe the problem lies elsewhere.

Now that I have berated this team I will now look at the Good and there is reason for optimism. Rivera is the Man! He is Sandman, there is no doubt. Add Joba to the back of the bullpen and these two guys are just flat out getíer dun. Farnsworth has pitched better in his last several attempts than at any other time I can remember and the fact that he got out of that last mess he created on his own has to boost his confidence which should help is next performance, building on the positive. Even with several injuries to the bull pen they are doing a very good job and hopefully that will continue. Giambi and Cano have been coming around albeit very slowly and hopefully with the warm weather of Tampa their bats will continue to warm. The main problem with our offense is RISP and that is a theme that has leaped over the last 2 or 3 seasons. ARod is constantly chided for his lack of RBI production and he should be. ARod is paid to drive in runs but the problem doesnít stop there. Everyone in this lineup has stranded way too many runners way too many times and that is the main area the offense HAS to improve. Runners on second and first with no outs and the not only due we come up empty but they canít even move up one stinking base. I donít know what the answer is to this problem but it was going on when ARod and Posada were in the lineup and their absence hasnít changed much, but their speedy returns is needed plus the resurgence of Giambi and Cano.

It is a long season and the hole we are in this year is by no means as bad as last but that isnít due to our play but more to the problems the sawks are having. I am optimistic that this team can turn it around but sustained success will hinge their ability to drive in runs and get quality starts. I do not believe that our existing starting staff is good enough but Rasner has been a nice surprise. Somehow, some way we need to find another effective starting pitcher but where or who that pitcher is I have no clue and I sincerely doubt Pavano will be the answer but I know Iggy will never be the answer.

mycroft
05-12-08, 10:39 AM
Yeah you are exactly right. Cahsman should be canned, injuired are no excuse, nevermind that the injuries have happened to our best players, it still isnt an excuse. I am sure if the Sox lost Manny and Varitek, and Lester they wouldnt miss a beat. Do you have anymore nuggets of wisdom for us or will this just about cover it?

:dunno: ;)

yanksphan
05-12-08, 10:43 AM
Weren't threads like this the point of I T L 2?

shadyridr
05-12-08, 10:47 AM
It is a long season and the hole we are in this year is by no means as bad as last but that isnít due to our play but more to the problems the sawks are having.

What the heck are you talking about? The Sox have the best record in the American League.

YankeePride1967
05-12-08, 10:52 AM

That's what I thought.

PinstripeDynasty
05-12-08, 11:06 AM
Or perhaps cbssportsline message board, or something like that.

hatfieldms
05-12-08, 11:36 AM
There is no room in ths thread for common sense. Thank you for the offer though

What the heck are you talking about? The Sox have the best record in the American League.

Rastven
05-12-08, 12:00 PM
The sky is falling, the sky is falling.
I guess for some people the only acceptable scenario is 162-0

mycroft
05-12-08, 12:08 PM
Oh I am sorry, this thread should be name THE OFFIAL, Good the Bad and the Ugly.

The sawks just got beat by the twinkees last night and if they were all that great their record would be a lot better and their closer wouldn't be blowing saves.

jcarey
05-12-08, 12:14 PM
can some of mycroft's :NY: be taken away?

Mr. Mxylsplk
05-12-08, 12:15 PM
The sawks just got beat by the twinkees last night and if they were all that great their record would be a lot better and their closer wouldn't be blowing saves.
This is quality.

primetime714
05-12-08, 12:21 PM
Oh I am sorry, this thread should be name THE OFFIAL, Good the Bad and the Ugly.

The sawks aren't sleeping on us. Good teams lose games and good closers blow saves. It happens. They're not "sleeping" on us though. The AL East is also stronger than its been in the past few years. The Rays are playing very good ball right now, the O's had a nice starter, and Toronto has probably the best pitching in the division. Its going to be hard for any team to run away with it this year as none of these teams are autmatic wins like they might've been in past season (particularly the Rays).

The Sox IMO aren't as good as they were last year. Beckett and Dice-K make for a nice 1-2 combo. However Wakefield, Buchholz, and Lester are all inconsistent. Papelbon and Okajima are great, but they're not getting the same type of performance from the rest of their bullpen that they got last year.

montrealer
05-12-08, 12:25 PM
Meh........I usually give this team till the all-Star break to make judgement. Injuries are a facture to a point. That being said .....Starting pitching is about as bad as it can get. That also being said the Blue Jays have just about as good as a rotation as can one have and they`re in last place. There`s no cure all answer to why we are were we are. I knew this team was in transition this year and I still hope that we can slip in to the Play-offs. A-Rod cannot carry this team offensively by himself. Baseball is a team sport and right now this team is not playing as one for a lot of different reasons. This is where Joey G will have to show everyone he has the Go-Nads thru thick and thin on how he will rise above all these problems. No doubt it is only a matter of time before the media and the fans will start showing their displeasure if this situation shows no improvement. I for one if we play around .500 ball will be satisfied if the kids show mark improvement in the months to come. I just don`t want "The Panic Button" to be pushed and start giving up on the kids too early and start signing FA for multi year contracts........It is what it is........

mycroft
05-12-08, 12:50 PM
Meh........I usually give this team till the all-Star break to make judgement. Injuries are a facture to a point. That being said .....Starting pitching is about as bad as it can get. That also being said the Blue Jays have just about as good as a rotation as can one have and they`re in last place. There`s no cure all answer to why we are were we are. I knew this team was in transition this year and I still hope that we can slip in to the Play-offs. A-Rod cannot carry this team offensively by himself. Baseball is a team sport and right now this team is not playing as one for a lot of different reasons. This is where Joey G will have to show everyone he has the Go-Nads thru thick and thin on how he will rise above all these problems. No doubt it is only a matter of time before the media and the fans will start showing their displeasure if this situation shows no improvement. I for one if we play around .500 ball will be satisfied if the kids show mark improvement in the months to come. I just don`t want "The Panic Button" to be pushed and start giving up on the kids too early and start signing FA for multi year contracts........It is what it is........

Well yes, it is what it is. Whatever the reason, the sawks are not blowing us away and that is the only thing that is good news as far as the early season is concerned. Yes it is early but everyone saw what our pathetic start cost us last year. We worked so hard just to make the playoffs there was nothing left when we got there. Torre, Mel and Guidry took the main force of the managment's displeasure but as everyone can see there are problems on this team that even an entirely new regime can't seem to get a handle on.

Why someone threw Shelley under the bus here is beyond me. Shelley is a low paid sub so anything we get from him is a bonus. It is Giambi who is being paid the big bucks to produce and it is Giambi stinking it up game after game in the 5 hole and that is a major part of our pathetic RISP stats.

How much patience we are going to have with this team will be in direct relation to how long this team keeps stinking it up.

mycroft
05-12-08, 12:51 PM
can some of mycroft's :NY: be taken away?

you can try anytime sparky

MattUNC2003
05-12-08, 01:15 PM
Can we at least wait until A-Rod is OFF of the DL before we chastize his run production? It's kind of hard to move runs across the plate when you're on the DL. And even before that, it's kind of hard to play baseball to the best of your abilities when you're nursing an injury.

Jeez.

hatfieldms
05-12-08, 01:16 PM
Well yes, it is what it is. Whatever the reason, the sawks are not blowing us away and that is the only thing that is good news as far as the early season is concerned. Yes it is early but everyone saw what our pathetic start cost us last year. We worked so hard just to make the playoffs there was nothing left when we got there. Torre, Mel and Guidry took the main force of the managment's displeasure but as everyone can see there are problems on this team that even an entirely new regime can't seem to get a handle on.

Why someone threw Shelley under the bus here is beyond me. Shelley is a low paid sub so anything we get from him is a bonus. It is Giambi who is being paid the big bucks to produce and it is Giambi stinking it up game after game in the 5 hole and that is a major part of our pathetic RISP stats.

How much patience we are going to have with this team will be in direct relation to how long this team keeps stinking it up.

the fact that the Yankees are at .500 with all of the injuries they are dealing with is a miracle IMO. I think once this team gets healthy and gets everyone going they should be ok and will compete for teh East. And the funny thing about Shelley is that there are plenty of people wanting him to start over Giambo and he hasnt been anyore effective than Giambi when given the chance

mycroft
05-12-08, 01:21 PM
the fact that the Yankees are at .500 with all of the injuries they are dealing with is a miracle IMO. I think once this team gets healthy and gets everyone going they should be ok and will compete for teh East. And the funny thing about Shelley is that there are plenty of people wanting him to start over Giambo and he hasnt been anyore effective than Giambi when given the chance

Well Shelley is a better fielder but as far as hitting he hasn't the at bats to make a judgment. I saw him hit a couple of atum line drives so he is hitting the ball well. Giambi pops or dribbles out to second when the entire left side it open.

gameface
05-12-08, 02:49 PM

I often enjoy reading this forum, but I also often am bothered about how the the criticism of Giambi gets carried to extremes. Granted, he and Cano haven't come around yet to what they can really do, but based on the season numbers I show below, I'll take Giambi on this team right now. If he even gets to 0.240 BA his offensive numbers will become awesom.

.................AB... OBP.. HR.. (RBI+R)/AB...RBI/AB
J. Giambi.. 93... .336... 7... 0.387........ 0.215
J. Posada. 63... .333... 1... 0.302........ 0.175
B. Abreu.. 142.. .369... 4... 0.282........ 0.162
M. Cabrer. 122....336... 6... 0.279.........0.148
D. Jeter.... 133.. .340... 1... 0.278...... 0.135
H. Matsui. 127.. .414... 4... 0.244........ 0.134
J. Damon.. 121. .371... 5... 0.438........ 0.132
A. Rod...... 91... .343... 4 ...0.275.........0.121
R. Cano.....135.. .241.. 4.... 0.163..... 0.081
S. Duncan. 31... .306... 0 ...0.161........ 0.032

montrealer
05-12-08, 02:57 PM
Giambi is not why we are where we are.......just saying

mycroft
05-12-08, 02:58 PM
I often enjoy reading this forum, but I also often am bothered about how the the criticism of Giambi gets carried to extremes. Granted, he and Cano haven't come around yet to what they can really do, but based on the season numbers I show below, I'll take Giambi on this team right now. If he even gets to 0.240 BA his offensive numbers will become awesom.

.................AB... OBP.. HR.. (RBI+R)/AB...RBI/AB
J. Giambi.. 93... .336... 7... 0.387........ 0.215
J. Posada. 63... .333... 1... 0.302........ 0.175
B. Abreu.. 142.. .369... 4... 0.282........ 0.162
M. Cabrer. 122....336... 6... 0.279.........0.148
D. Jeter.... 133.. .340... 1... 0.278...... 0.135
H. Matsui. 127.. .414... 4... 0.244........ 0.134
J. Damon.. 121. .371... 5... 0.438........ 0.132
A. Rod...... 91... .343... 4 ...0.275.........0.121
R. Cano.....135.. .241.. 4.... 0.163..... 0.081
S. Duncan. 31... .306... 0 ...0.161........ 0.032

Well let's look at this another way. Giambi is the second highest paid player on the Yankees at a whopping $23,428,571/year. Figuring that out per game comes to $144,620.81/game, and you tell me you are ok with him hitting .183? Really?? Gee, I wish you were my boss. Shelley is hitting .238.

gameface
05-12-08, 03:46 PM
Well let's look at this another way. Giambi is the second highest paid player on the Yankees at a whopping $23,428,571/year. Figuring that out per game comes to $144,620.81/game, and you tell me you are ok with him hitting .183? Really?? Gee, I wish you were my boss. Shelley is hitting .238.

99.9 % of all baseball statistics rank players by what they do on the field. They don't divide the numbers by the player's salary.

Based on RBI/AB, he has top rank on the team. Based on (RBI+R)/AB he comes second only after Damon. He leads the team in HRs also (projected for the season he'd be over 30 HRs). He represents a big threat to the opposing team. I'm sure this is what J. Girardi is seeing when he keeps him in there. Giambi has also some history of making a comeback from periods when his BA is low if you continue to play him. At that point, he will be any even bigger threat to opponents.

Granted his salary is too high. He would never be rehired at these levels. But his offensive value relative to the rest of the team can still be seen in his "moneyball" type stats. I've just been bothered by the fact that criticism of him seems to go to extremes. I believe that is a bit irrational. To refer to him as "really stinking up the team" you have to be looking at just his present BA and his salary. If you look at other important stats, they suggest that there is still a quality player there who may be very important to this particular team as his BA comes back into line during the season..

shadyridr
05-12-08, 03:52 PM

You mean the division leading Twinkies?

hatfieldms
05-12-08, 04:01 PM

That is the bad part of a backloaded contract. It would be one thing if he had made 23 mil a year for the past 7 but he is just now getting his money. You cant really judge him on how much he is making in the last year of his contract

mycroft
05-12-08, 04:06 PM
99.9 % of all baseball statistics rank players by what they do on the field. They don't divide the numbers by the player's salary.

Based on RBI/AB, he has top rank on the team. Based on (RBI+R)/AB he comes second only after Damon. He leads the team in HRs also (projected for the season he'd be over 30 HRs). He represents a big threat to the opposing team. I'm sure this is what J. Girardi is seeing when he keeps him in there. Giambi has also some history of making a comeback from periods when his BA is low if you continue to play him. At that point, he will be any even bigger threat to opponents.

Granted his salary is too high. He would never be rehired at these levels. But his offensive value relative to the rest of the team can still be seen in his "moneyball" type stats. I've just been bothered by the fact that criticism of him seems to go to extremes. I believe that is a bit irrational. To refer to him as "really stinking up the team" you have to be looking at just his present BA and his salary. If you look at other important stats, they suggest that there is still a quality player there who may be very important to this particular team as his BA comes back into line during the season..

I am of the belief that it is sometimes better to slap a hand than to hold it. The fact is he has been really stinking it up and that is a fact, but comparing him to the rest of this team is counter productive since they are all stinking it up. Jason makes a ridiculous sum of money and it would be nice if he could earn some of it. I just want this team to straighten itself out before we dig ourselves another huge hole and Jason is right in the middle of the lineup so he needs to start hitting or Girardi will need to do something.

Leading the American League Central is like being the world's smartest moron.

Mr. Mxylsplk
05-12-08, 04:16 PM
The hits just keep coming.

groovitude
05-12-08, 05:50 PM

Using RBIs as your measure of effectiveness loses something when you realize that people have to get on base for him. Melky's been pretty durn good so far -- as a season, I'd put him above Giambi -- but since he's been put near the top of the order a decent amount of the time, or near the very bottom, he doesn't get the RBI opportunities that a guy like Giambi, batting primarily out of the #5 hole, gets.

I might go check the data for how many runners each has had on each respective base.

groovitude
05-12-08, 06:25 PM
Okay, I get to eat a little bit of crow for picking the wrong example.

Giambi's had 37 AB with a man at first, 26 AB with a man at second, and 11 AB with a man at third, for a total of 74 baserunners.

Cabrera has had 42 AB with a man at first, 23 AB with a man at second, and 10 AB with a man at third, for a total of 75 baserunners.

Giambi has scored himself in (on HRs) 7 times; Cabrera, 6. Their RBI totals are Giambi's 20 and Cabrera's 18; not including their own self-scoring, that's 13 and 12, respectively. That's teammate-batted-in averages of .176 and .160.

Unfortunately, you also can't factor in that Cabrera's got way more men on first than Giambi, and Giambi has a runner or two more on Cabrera on second and third.

I also decided to run the Captain and Johnny Damon, just for laughs...

Jeter's had 30 AB with a runner on first, 24 with a man on second, and 13 AB with a man on third. That's a total of 67 runners. Damon has had 23 AB with a man on first, 20 with a man on second, and 9 with a man on third, for a total of 52 baserunners.

Jeter's got 1 HR and 18 RBI; Damon's got 5 HR and 16 RBI. Without their HRs, that's 17 RBI for Jeter, and 11 RBI for Damon. Divided by their total runners-on, that's teammate-batted-in-averages of .253 for Jeter and .212 for Damon.

Giambi's RBI total might be impressive for his BA, but he's had the added benefit of baserunners. His RBI/AB is really sort of meaningless.

mycroft
05-13-08, 08:36 AM
The hits just keep coming.

When? We could have used a few last night in that 7-1 disaster at Tampa. Nice job by Pettitte. Here we had a pitcher for Tampa that couldn't pitch against a little league team but bring in this Yankee club and he looks like Cy Young. And the sawks lose...

tclwca
05-13-08, 08:40 AM
this team is DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Mxylsplk
05-13-08, 10:43 AM
I really didn't think this thread could get any better, but there it is.

DaSh 1s
05-13-08, 12:09 PM
Okay, I get to eat a little bit of crow for picking the wrong example.

Giambi's had 37 AB with a man at first, 26 AB with a man at second, and 11 AB with a man at third, for a total of 74 baserunners.

Cabrera has had 42 AB with a man at first, 23 AB with a man at second, and 10 AB with a man at third, for a total of 75 baserunners.

Giambi has scored himself in (on HRs) 7 times; Cabrera, 6. Their RBI totals are Giambi's 20 and Cabrera's 18; not including their own self-scoring, that's 13 and 12, respectively. That's teammate-batted-in averages of .176 and .160.

Unfortunately, you also can't factor in that Cabrera's got way more men on first than Giambi, and Giambi has a runner or two more on Cabrera on second and third.

I also decided to run the Captain and Johnny Damon, just for laughs...

Jeter's had 30 AB with a runner on first, 24 with a man on second, and 13 AB with a man on third. That's a total of 67 runners. Damon has had 23 AB with a man on first, 20 with a man on second, and 9 with a man on third, for a total of 52 baserunners.

Jeter's got 1 HR and 18 RBI; Damon's got 5 HR and 16 RBI. Without their HRs, that's 17 RBI for Jeter, and 11 RBI for Damon. Divided by their total runners-on, that's teammate-batted-in-averages of .253 for Jeter and .212 for Damon.

Giambi's RBI total might be impressive for his BA, but he's had the added benefit of baserunners. His RBI/AB is really sort of meaningless.

WOW....