PDA

View Full Version : Brawl in Seattle

CyYoung4Vazquez
05-09-08, 10:17 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200805092667717

Wow. Did Sexson really need to charge? The pitch was up and in but, come on.

CallOfTheCrow
05-09-08, 10:22 AM
Throwing his helmet at the pitcher? What a pansy.

Also, you know you're out of line if Milton Bradley is telling you to calm down.

51BWilliams
05-09-08, 10:26 AM
Also, you know you're out of line if Milton Bradley is telling you to calm down.

My thoughts exactly. :)

Richie overreacted a bit.

swityak11
05-09-08, 10:30 AM
Throwing his helmet at the pitcher? What a pansy.Pretty much. He outweighs him by like 50 pounds at least.

hardrain
05-09-08, 10:33 AM
hahahaha...that's really funny....If Bradley has to tell you to come down...you've got troubles.

yankeesAZ
05-09-08, 10:37 AM
The pitch wasn't close, but given the circumstances Sexon was expecting to be drilled and saw a high one that was head high, but not near his head.

Felix hit 2 batters before and Sexon was up with 2 outs and no one on and was ready to be hit. So seeing a pitch head high was enough for him even if it wasn't near him. Kind of doubt it was just a simple wild pitch either with zero intent.

ShaneTravis
05-09-08, 10:47 AM
That pitch was not even close to his head. Out of strike zone and high but of course Sexson can't identify pitches anymore.

Check out his numbers the last couple of years.

WashingtonYankee
05-09-08, 10:53 AM
That pitch was not even close to his head. Out of strike zone and high but of course Sexson can't identify pitches anymore.

Check out his numbers the last couple of years.

I think it is a no-brainer.

WashingtonYankee
05-09-08, 10:54 AM
The pitch wasn't close, but given the circumstances Sexon was expecting to be drilled and saw a high one that was head high, but not near his head.

Felix hit 2 batters before and Sexon was up with 2 outs and no one on and was ready to be hit. So seeing a pitch head high was enough for him even if it wasn't near him. Kind of doubt it was just a simple wild pitch either with zero intent.

My thoghts exactly.

nhyankeefan
05-09-08, 10:56 AM
It reminded me of the Clemens/Manny fiasco from the 03 ALCS.

WashingtonYankee
05-09-08, 11:02 AM

Me too!

Sixty one
05-09-08, 11:29 AM
I think that Sexson was looking for a small vacation from the league!;)

PhilHughesFan
05-09-08, 11:40 AM

That's exactly what I thougtht when I saw the video clip. The pitch wasn't even close to Sexson but I according to the telecast there were at least a couple HBP previously and he was probably expecting to be thrown at. Second post called Sexson a pansy for throwing his helmet and I disagree. While I don't think he should have charged in the first place the helmet thing doesn't hurt that much and it hurts a lot less than a fastball to the head would. The helmet is actually better for stunning/throwing off the pitchers defense so that you can tackle him. Decent brawl though :D .

CyYoung4Vazquez
05-09-08, 04:44 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/baseball/mlb/05/09/sexson.suspended.ap/index.html

So Sexson gets six games. The initial Farnsworth suspension was three. Can't imagine what Sexson would have received if he wore the stripes.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
05-09-08, 05:45 PM
Drama queen. That pitch would have been a strike if it was lower - no intent.

4bronxbombers
05-09-08, 06:01 PM
Wow....:lol:

Yankeeah
05-09-08, 06:29 PM
Sexson's 2.5 year old son was hospitalized the day before, I doubt he was very clear minded.

yankeesAZ
05-09-08, 06:45 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/baseball/mlb/05/09/sexson.suspended.ap/index.html

So Sexson gets six games. The initial Farnsworth suspension was three. Can't imagine what Sexson would have received if he wore the stripes.

20 games.

WashingtonYankee
05-09-08, 07:06 PM
Sexson's 2.5 year old son was hospitalized the day before, I doubt he was very clear minded.

Let's see the source.

Yankeeah
05-09-08, 07:09 PM
Let's see the source.

The 10 seconds you spent doubting the story could have been spent googling this.

Sexson admitted that throwing the helmet was wrong. He'd missed Wednesday's game tending to his sick son in the hospital, and admitted the stress of that and his team's offensive spiral likely contributed to his rage.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/mariners/2004402145_mari09.html

WashingtonYankee
05-09-08, 07:12 PM
The 10 seconds you spent doubting the story could have been spent googling this.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/mariners/2004402145_mari09.html

Excuse me... I didn't hear about it and live in Seattle... sorry, that I asked you for the source?

BillBuckner
05-09-08, 07:21 PM
My sympathy to Sexson for whatever personal trouble he has right now, but that was a pretty shameful display.

Meecham4ever
05-09-08, 09:34 PM
My sympathy to Sexson for whatever personal trouble he has right now, but that was a pretty shameful display.

I agree...he punches like a gir....errr....he punches...like someone who...ahh...doesn't know how to punch very well....:-sorry-:

Yankees13
05-09-08, 09:51 PM
20 games.
Life.

gdn
05-09-08, 10:03 PM
So much hugging in these "fights".

BillBuckner
05-09-08, 10:12 PM
Life.

Death by quartering.

WashingtonYankee
05-09-08, 10:38 PM
Death by quartering.

:lol:

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
05-10-08, 02:20 AM
I agree...he punches like a gir....errr....he punches...like someone who...ahh...doesn't know how to punch very well....:-sorry-:

He could probably learn a thing or two about fighting from your girl Hillary. ;)

RhodeyYankee2638
05-10-08, 02:33 AM
That catcher should be ashamed for letting Ritchie Sexson reach the mound

Stick Michael
05-10-08, 02:53 AM
you know you're out of line if Milton Bradley is telling you to calm down.

Sig worthy!

JeterRodriguezSheff
05-10-08, 03:13 AM
the helmet throw was genius

Jersey Yankee
05-10-08, 04:20 AM
That catcher should be ashamed for letting Ritchie Sexson reach the mound
Did the catcher keep his mask on during this melee? :P

Jersey Yankee
05-10-08, 04:22 AM
One big-arsed bubba like that and he fights like a li'l girlie? Wow. Next think you know, he'll be sounding like Mike Tyson.

dino26
05-10-08, 06:13 AM
Makes the game that bit more fun to watch

Jersey Yankee
05-10-08, 07:01 AM
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0509/mlb_a_gabbard_300.jpg

4bronxbombers
05-10-08, 08:27 AM

I'd like to punch you just for that comment.

4bronxbombers
05-10-08, 08:28 AM
One big-arsed bubba like that and he fights like a li'l girlie? Wow. Next think you know, he'll be sounding like Mike Tyson.

You too.

Compass Rosy
05-10-08, 11:57 AM
Not defending the charging of the mound - never a good thing.
And, even Richie admitted the helmet throwing was stupid ...
Tacoma News Tribune (http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/mariners/story/356109.html)

“I know throwing the helmet was the wrong thing,” he said. “It was a chicken (expletive) move. I lost it right there, I was thinking about a lot of things.”

but he does have a point ...
Mariners.com (http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080509&content_id=2667691&vkey=news_sea&fext=.jsp&c_id=sea)

"I knew the situation. Everybody in the ballpark knew what was going on there. Hit me, and I take first base, but don't throw at my head. I'm 6-foot-8. How difficult is it to hit me in the middle of the back or my thigh?

And Mariner reporter, Shannon Drayer, gives further insight ...
Shannon's blog (http://www.komoradio.com/marinersradio/shannon/18808504.html)

There is a trust put in the man on the hill. The hitter may not know him, may never have talked to him, not know the first thing about him, yet he puts so much in his hands. The last thing the pitcher wants to do is hurt someone as well. It cannot be in their heads either otherwise they would never be able to let go of the ball. Richie saw the ball coming in at head level. Regardless of how close it was, it was head level. 6’8 head level. Come on, you have to try to get it up there. What Richie didn’t know at the time, but the cameras caught was that the catcher had thrown down a funny sign. Not a one or a two but more of a snap and twist. Gabbard shook him off. Laird threw it down a second time, emphatically, with a wrist snap. That ball was not a mistake. Or maybe it was because it came across the plate. The only thing Richie knew was that it came in head high. He had the acute awareness that something very bad could happen. The trust had been broken.

I was at the game last night and Richie was cheered loudly every time he was announced ... something not heard in a very long time.
Hopefully, the nonsense is over and the M's can remember how to hit ... soon.

BroadwayBomber55
05-10-08, 01:01 PM
the helmet throw was genius
Richie Sexson's helmet didn't even hit Kason Gabbard in the head.

Sexson was overreacting to the pitch. It wasn't even close to his head.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
05-10-08, 06:17 PM
but he does have a point ...
Mariners.com (http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080509&content_id=2667691&vkey=news_sea&fext=.jsp&c_id=sea)

No he doesn't. The ball was high, but not even close to being inside. It would have been a strike if it was lower. Totally inappropriate reaction on his part.

AustinTXHorn
05-10-08, 06:48 PM
The 6'8" head level stuff is ridiculous. Gabbard walked 4 in 3.2 innings that night. It wasn't like he had perfect control and that was the first ball he threw well out of the strike zone.

Compass Rosy
05-10-08, 07:40 PM
Totally inappropriate reaction on his part.Agreed.

But I also agree with his point that he's not exactly a small target that's hard to hit.

Again, I don't condone Richie's action (or reaction) and I believe he seriously regrets it. In his three+ years in Seattle I don't remember seeing him lose control - it's actually quite out of character for him. But, I think things have been mounting ... sick child, second straight sucky season ... sometimes things come to a head. Doesn't make him right or righteous - just makes him human.

YankeeZim
05-10-08, 08:12 PM
I dont care what he had going on in his head. It was a total horse**** move on Sexon's part. If you're that emotional over your child being in the hospital, maybe the best place to be is with that child. Im sure he can afford being fined a game check or two if it were that important to him. Total cop out, imo.

Jersey Yankee
05-11-08, 08:34 AM
You too.
Should I make like Kermie and run for the hills?

http://i14.tinypic.com/52aobol.jpg

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-11-08, 10:26 AM
That was by far the best thing I have seen all season, the helmet throw was simply genius.

4bronxbombers
05-11-08, 02:23 PM
That was by far the best thing I have seen all season, the helmet throw was simply genius.

I kinda liked it too. :lol:

johnmvp
05-11-08, 04:20 PM
That's pretty weak. Pitch was up but wasn't even near his head.. That pitch was down the middle and high, probably meant to send a small message but nothing serious. Sexton took it out of proportion.

ChinMusic
05-11-08, 10:07 PM
While I don't think he should have charged in the first place the helmet thing doesn't hurt that much and it hurts a lot less than a fastball to the head would. The helmet is actually better for stunning/throwing off the pitchers defense so that you can tackle him. Decent brawl though :D .

I agree with that, but his technique with the helmet was bad. He should have thrown the helmet high like a popup, in a variation of the two snowball trick. Then when the pitcher is looking up at the helmet, he tackles him.

WashingtonYankee
05-12-08, 10:31 AM
Agreed.

But I also agree with his point that he's not exactly a small target that's hard to hit.

Again, I don't condone Richie's action (or reaction) and I believe he seriously regrets it. In his three+ years in Seattle I don't remember seeing him lose control - it's actually quite out of character for him. But, I think things have been mounting ... sick child, second straight sucky season ... sometimes things come to a head. Doesn't make him right or righteous - just makes him human.

Couldn't agree more. Sexson did something that he regrets. Ok. We get the point. However, Sexson's having a hard time in Seattle- second straight sucky season. I'm guessing the press has gotten to him but hopefully, when he returns he'll do better.

Vin
05-13-08, 12:10 PM
Wow, Sexson is a macho boy.