PDA

View Full Version : Why cant the yankees come from behind?

R.V.47
05-06-08, 09:44 PM
The yankees are now 0-15 when trailing after 6 innings. Obviously its difficult to come back in baseball but it wasnt that long ago that the yankees had 61 come from behind wins in 2004 with some of the same hitters in the lineup. Not only do they not come back but they rarely seem to even put up a fight. So whats up with this team?

Mark19
05-06-08, 09:45 PM
Maybe because they recognize how thin the team is and it scares them. Scared hitters don't produce.

dkman
05-06-08, 09:53 PM
Same reason they had like 40 comebacks last year and even more in 2005. Luck. Sometimes it happens a lot, sometimes it rarely happens. Such is baseball.

PinstripeDynasty
05-06-08, 09:59 PM
Maybe because they recognize how thin the team is and it scares them. Scared hitters don't produce.

That is contradictory, isn't it? If the team is thin, then the hitters don't have to be scared, since there is nobody they have to worry about looking over their shoulders for.

Or do you mean the team is so thin that nobody has any confidence?

R.V.47
05-06-08, 10:03 PM
That is contradictory, isn't it? If the team is thin, then the hitters don't have to be scared, since there is nobody they have to worry about looking over their shoulders for.

Or do you mean the team is so thin that nobody has any confidence?

I think sometimes when there are superstars out of the lineup other hitters maybe try to do to much especially in pressure situations that could be one of the problems.

Yankees13
05-06-08, 10:03 PM
Well, the lineup right now is pretty crappy without A-Rod and Posada, but even when they were here, this team couldn't mount a comeback to save its life. I don't like to buy into the "quitting" theory, but I'm not sure what to think with this team. There's not even near misses, the team just rolls over and dies when behind.

PinstripeDynasty
05-06-08, 10:06 PM
Personally I think it's that the team just doesn't have any great hitters in the lineup. No A-Rod or Sheffield in the middle of the order. Giambi isn't exactly feared anymore. Matsui, Abreu, Jeter, Damon, Melky, etc. are all nice hitters but nobody for a pitcher to piss their pants over.

All these players were better hitters when the pitchers couldn't afford to walk them due to who used to be hitting behind them, or when there were runners on base, neither of those are true as much anymore.

NYYDragoon
05-06-08, 10:10 PM
They try too hard when they're down. They're not taking pitches and all try to hit it out of the park right away.

Sadly, the Red Sox are the direct opposite.

apalradio
05-06-08, 10:24 PM
There's no clear leader offensively. Yes, I know, Jeter's the captain, but that's not what I'm saying. The Sox have Ortiz and Manny. Those guys are absolute devastating threats in clutch situations. Other guys in their lineup seem to feed off of that. We simply do not have enough of that kind of offense.

Rocketbooster
05-07-08, 07:18 AM
Personally I think it's that the team just doesn't have any great hitters in the lineup. No A-Rod or Sheffield in the middle of the order. Giambi isn't exactly feared anymore. Matsui, Abreu, Jeter, Damon, Melky, etc. are all nice hitters but nobody for a pitcher to piss their pants over.

All these players were better hitters when the pitchers couldn't afford to walk them due to who used to be hitting behind them, or when there were runners on base, neither of those are true as much anymore.

Jeter isn't a great hitter? He's not a slugger, obviously, but he's no question a great hitter and he doesn't need guys hitting behind him to make him that way. He'll be going to the HOF based on his own accomplishments, not those of his teammates.

silverdsl
05-07-08, 07:31 AM
Jeter isn't a great hitter? He's not a slugger, obviously, but he's no question a great hitter and he doesn't need guys hitting behind him to make him that way. He'll be going to the HOF based on his own accomplishments, not those of his teammates.Jeter may be a great hitter but he's not really a feared power hitter. Besides, it takes more than one player anyway.

shotz
05-07-08, 07:33 AM
Batting practice.

BRNXBMRS
05-07-08, 07:40 AM
If they got hits with RISP they wouldnt have to. How many times so far in 08 had the Yanks Had bases loaded or 2 & 3rd with one out and failed to get the big hit to have the big inning. Also no A-rod & Jorge doesnt help any, Cano still cant hit.

shotz
05-07-08, 07:54 AM
quit playing by the book. lay down a bunt once in a while. double steal. batting practice. it seems like any team the Yankees face already know what to expect from them.

yankeeman61
05-07-08, 07:58 AM
Must be....because they can't compete? Or maybe the offense is a bit overrated? Maybe it's not just a slow start, but a mediocre team? :P

I don't actually fault them for not coming back last night. That was a devastating HR by Dellucci late in the game against Joba, who is normally unhittable. Having to go through Bentancourt is no easy task. Yeah, he's been knocked around a bit but he has good stuff and lulls you to sleep. Without even looking it up I'm guessing a good share of the other non-comebacks have something to do with the Hughes / Kennedy starts. When your starters can't go 5 innings and the pen gets taxed in the process, all you are trying to do is stop the bleeding. Of course when you have key hitters out of your lineup it doesn't help. How many games have the Yankees had with all of their starters in the lineup at the same time? Then we have 2 guys (Cano & Giambi) who have produced very little. The Tigers are asking themselves similar questions these days.

Bologma!
05-07-08, 09:09 AM
Dramatic drop in OBP. 333 this year after being over 360 the previous two season.

Kulish29
05-07-08, 11:41 AM
This is, quite possibly, the best thread title ever.

Dirty mind aside, it's simply because they're not playing up to their potential as of yet. Who know if they'll even play up to their potential. I'm of the belief that they will once everyone gets healthy but, right now, things just aren't clicking.

ZYanksRule
05-07-08, 11:57 AM
I think its just because of how much they're slumping right now. Even last year, they came from behind a lot. It's just the struggles of a currently dormant offense. I doubt this will continue for all 162.

gold23
05-07-08, 12:37 PM
I'm not sure anyone really knows what the potential of this club is, by the way. Too many variables.

Anyway, the lineup is pretty short.

yankeeman61
05-07-08, 01:52 PM
I think its just because of how much they're slumping right now. Even last year, they came from behind a lot. It's just the struggles of a currently dormant offense. I doubt this will continue for all 162.

Is it a slump or a trend we're not used to seing from the Yankees? It seems more like an incomplete offense to be fair. With Arod and Posada out you can't replace that production. Cano is truly in a slump and is pressing. I've said plenty about Giambi but suffice it to say I just don't think he's very good anymore and is unable to adjust. Damon has been hot and cold, which seems to reflect the entire performance of a .500 team. I get the sense this is what we are likely to see all year from this team unless changes are made and if the starting pitching gets straightened out. There's nothing like good starting pitching to help avoid trying to come back from a deficit.

R.V.47
05-07-08, 02:07 PM
Is it a slump or a trend we're not used to seing from the Yankees? It seems more like an incomplete offense to be fair. With Arod and Posada out you can't replace that production. Cano is truly in a slump and is pressing. I've said plenty about Giambi but suffice it to say I just don't think he's very good anymore and is unable to adjust. Damon has been hot and cold, which seems to reflect the entire performance of a .500 team. I get the sense this is what we are likely to see all year from this team unless changes are made and if the starting pitching gets straightened out. There's nothing like good starting pitching to help avoid trying to come back from a deficit.

I think its a trend we have seen for a while. In the late 90's and probably up to about 2004 the yankees had a swagger and a sense of confidence that almost bordered on arrogance. They just knew that at the end of the game someone would step up and they would pull out a win. It always seemed like there was a different hero every night. I think the current players on the team recognize that but are trying to force it to much thinking that they almost have to live up to the tradition those teams created of the yankees never being out of a game until it was over. Of course as we have seen when you try to force things you usually just end up hitting pop ups and weak grounders.

aeromac76
05-07-08, 04:53 PM
Could go wither way right now..

The lineup is missing tw key cigs, if we get them back and everyone starts hitting the way they are supposed to, and the endgame bullpen (last night notwithstanding) keeps its game rolling, we'll have that swagger soon enough..

apalradio
05-07-08, 06:18 PM
Could go wither way right now..

The lineup is missing tw key cigs, if we get them back and everyone starts hitting the way they are supposed to, and the endgame bullpen (last night notwithstanding) keeps its game rolling, we'll have that swagger soon enough..I used the term "swagger" in a post recently, commenting on how the team doesn't seem to have it any more. I was chastised as if there is no such thing as swagger. Glad to see that someone else notices it's missing.

yankeeman61
05-07-08, 06:23 PM
I used the term "swagger" in a post recently, commenting on how the team doesn't seem to have it any more. I was chastised as if there is no such thing as swagger. Glad to see that someone else notices it's missing.

Doesn't swagger mean visible confidence? I think that there is such a thing.

Mark19
05-07-08, 06:26 PM
Victims of their own success
If they win, they are relieved, if they lose, they feel terrible

They are designed to fail

27IsNext
05-07-08, 06:51 PM
I've watched a fair amount of baseball in my life, and I have never seen at-bats as bad as I've seen tonight. If the Yankees want to avoid a come-from-behind situation, they're going to have to start attacking Lee early in the count instead of taking called strikes down the middle for strikes one and two.

This, I think, is a large amount of the problem with our offense overall. Pitchers attack our hitters early, then force them to swing at bad pitches in 0-2 or 1-2 counts.

teknetic
05-07-08, 07:21 PM
This offense is completely wretched. Beating up on the AAA-Mariners apparently wasn't enough to get them out of this hole.

Prison Mike
05-07-08, 07:22 PM
They can't hit- whether they're ahead or behind.

Joba's Rings
05-07-08, 08:24 PM
For a second there I thought this thread should go in the Sports Bar. ;) (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

As for tonight, they're facing a guy who has a sub-1.00 ERA (440 ERA+ before tonight), they're without A-Rod & Posada, and they're taking some pretty poor ABs. A perfect storm, really.

yankeeman61
05-07-08, 09:35 PM
To answer the original question of this thread, it's because they are on the "receiving" end.

-tz
05-07-08, 09:50 PM
There's no clear leader offensively. Yes, I know, Jeter's the captain, but that's not what I'm saying. The Sox have Ortiz and Manny. Those guys are absolute devastating threats in clutch situations. Other guys in their lineup seem to feed off of that. We simply do not have enough of that kind of offense.Bingo. Even when Alex is in the lineup and even when he's ON, I don't think he is FEARED the way that pair are. And nobody else even comes close.

shotz
05-07-08, 11:22 PM
Batting Practice.

27IsNext
05-07-08, 11:32 PM
Bingo. Even when Alex is in the lineup and even when he's ON, I don't think he is FEARED the way that pair are. And nobody else even comes close.

He was last season.

-tz
05-07-08, 11:34 PM
He was last season.Last regular season! :P

27IsNext
05-07-08, 11:35 PM
Last regular season! :P

That's what I meant. Last year, he was the most feared hitter in baseball. He never got the chance to heat up in October, because the team once again decided to collectively choke in the first round.

apalradio
05-08-08, 05:25 AM
That's what I meant. Last year, he was the most feared hitter in baseball. He never got the chance to heat up in October, because the team once again decided to collectively choke in the first round.That's the problem. Even at his best, Alex alone is simply not enough. Once a pitcher gets past Alex, the offense is manageable again. The Ortiz-Manny combination works because even if you get past Ortiz, there's Manny to deal with and he just cleans up in those situations.

dkman
05-08-08, 01:58 PM
That's the problem. Even at his best, Alex alone is simply not enough. Once a pitcher gets past Alex, the offense is manageable again. The Ortiz-Manny combination works because even if you get past Ortiz, there's Manny to deal with and he just cleans up in those situations.

I think this team really misses Gary Sheffield. (And a productive Giambi for that matter.) I'm not saying the trade was a bad one, because Gary has been injured and it was a good idea to sell high.

apalradio
05-08-08, 10:40 PM
I think this team really misses Gary Sheffield. (And a productive Giambi for that matter.) I'm not saying the trade was a bad one, because Gary has been injured and it was a good idea to sell high.I agree, and felt the same way about Sheff at the time of the trade. In retrospect, I'm not really sure they sold high enough. Unless Humberto Sanchez ever heals one of these years, I'm so far considering that trade a bit of a bust.

dougj1
05-09-08, 08:18 PM
Why don't you guys ask Cashman? He's the so called GM that put together this so called ballclub...Isn't he the guy who decided to start 2 unproven rookies in the rotation, when it was obvious to have only used one and bring up the oher after the season started?....Isn't he the guy that put together a bench consisting of Betemit,Duncan,Ensberg,and some .200 hitting catchers? Isn't it true he got these reserves from Goodwill, or was it the Salvation Army?...How's Igawa working out?

yankeeman61
05-09-08, 08:40 PM
I think this team really misses Gary Sheffield. (And a productive Giambi for that matter.) I'm not saying the trade was a bad one, because Gary has been injured and it was a good idea to sell high.

The team actually missed Vlad Guerrero. He would still be on this team

YanksFan1992
05-09-08, 09:14 PM
Well, at the very least we showed some fight today. :o

apalradio
05-10-08, 10:17 AM
Well, at the very least we showed some fight today. :oNever let it be said that this team doesn't do the least it can.

Blazer
05-10-08, 06:55 PM

Blame that on The Boss. Cashman wanted Vlad, but big George insisted on Sheffield.

dkman
05-10-08, 08:08 PM

Vlad has an OPS+ of 107. He can barely play the field, he needs days off, and is still injury prone. All those years on Montreal turf wore him down. JD is at 148, Melky is at 123, Bobby is at 124, and Matsui is at 150. Where does Vlad come in?

Ynkcpt23
05-10-08, 10:12 PM
Why don't you guys ask Cashman? He's the so called GM that put together this so called ballclub...Isn't he the guy who decided to start 2 unproven rookies in the rotation, when it was obvious to have only used one and bring up the oher after the season started?....Isn't he the guy that put together a bench consisting of Betemit,Duncan,Ensberg,and some .200 hitting catchers? Isn't it true he got these reserves from Goodwill, or was it the Salvation Army?...How's Igawa working out?

Was that a "so called" post? Umm, Brian Cashman is our GM. And this ballclub is working through the issues in front of them.

I'm very glad it was so obvious for you, after seeing the results a couple of months into the season. Sure is easy pickin' 'em off from the cheap seats, there, sparky!

Those last few sentences were just painful...did you just read today's paper and decide to join the conversation? Or did you just throw in Igawa so you could claim to be up-to-date??

cyhughes22
05-10-08, 10:35 PM

:wtf:

teknetic
05-11-08, 08:39 AM
Vlad has an OPS+ of 107. He can barely play the field, he needs days off, and is still injury prone. All those years on Montreal turf wore him down. JD is at 148, Melky is at 123, Bobby is at 124, and Matsui is at 150. Where does Vlad come in?

OPS+ Last 4 years:
Vlad's: 157, 154, 138, 147
Sheff's: 141, 137, 107, 120 (Detroit)

and yet you're picking a one month sample size to determine that he wouldn't be an upgrade over Sheff or Abreu?