PDA

View Full Version : Type A/B free agents and how they're classified

NYYMazda
05-04-08, 12:54 AM
Can someone please enlighten me on how MLB classifies players as either A or B free agents? Is there a tool somewhere that is used to track this throughout the season?

I'm asking because I'd really like to see if Hawkins and Farnsworth can not screw up enough to qualify and thus bring us some sweet draft picks.

If Farns pitched the way he did Saturday more often, he could easily be in the top 20% of AL relievers. But, does that mean he has to be top 20% in just ERA? Or is there another stat or formula they use?

I realize its early in the season, but following players' progress is part of baseball :D

-tz
05-04-08, 01:11 AM
Does this help?

http://www.sportscity.com/MLB/Type-A-Type-B-MLB-Free-Agent-Rankings-Explanation/

hockeypuck2008
05-04-08, 01:22 AM
I think it is based off the last two seasons. That being said, I doubt Hawkins is a Type A or B. Farnsworth, maybe.

NYYMazda
05-04-08, 01:42 AM
Does this help?

http://www.sportscity.com/MLB/Type-A-Type-B-MLB-Free-Agent-Rankings-Explanation/
Damn thats a sweet site, thanks Tz!!

NYYMazda
05-04-08, 01:46 AM
37 Kyle Farnsworth 63.026 B

74 LaTroy Hawkins 48.504

These are after the 2007 season. So, Farns is going to need a pretty damn good season to bump to an A, but if he wants to have a good "walk year", he could do it. Hawkins isn't too far from a B really. If he does similar to what he did last year he should get it. Hopefully.

I don't see a way to actually track players during this season though. That would be very cool to watch as we went along.

NYYMazda
05-04-08, 01:49 AM
Too bad we traded this guy for nothing..he could have gotten us a first rounder:

18 Scott Proctor 74.622 A

theDurk
05-04-08, 03:15 PM
Too bad we traded this guy for nothing..he could have gotten us a first rounder:

18 Scott Proctor 74.622 A

It's pretty clear that the rankings weight quantity almost as much as quality. Any Torre burnout probably could get a ''B" and maybe an "A", just as Proctor did. Problem is, armless pitchers aren't in great demand.

DiMaggio5CF
05-05-08, 01:52 PM
I think that when Pavano becomes a FA, the Yankees have to give a draft pick to whoever signs him.