PDA

View Full Version : Veras called up to NYY

ChrisRo
05-02-08, 05:12 PM
I'm sorry if this has been posted and I missed it.

Anyway, here it goes.

Jose Veras (left) has been called up to New York, taking Phil Hughes spot on the big league roster. Veras has been outstanding down here, allowing only two earned runs in 13 appearances, with both earned coming in the same game. He's had a save in seven straight appearances.
(full story (http://emedia.thetimes-tribune.com/Blogs/SWBYankeesBlog/tabid/552/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/3448/Pregame-notes-Veras-promoted.aspx))

NelsonMuntz
05-02-08, 05:20 PM
No need to apologize. I would have missed this news if it was buried in one of the billion-page performance megathreads that seem to be so popular these days.

GoYanks
05-02-08, 05:32 PM
No need to apologize. I would have missed this news if it was buried in one of the billion-page performance megathreads that seem to be so popular these days.

Thanks & ditto. I can barely find current Yankee news with the megathreads & a real news item is a breath of fresh air.

gold23
05-02-08, 05:32 PM
Hey....a guy throwing great in AAA who also posseses quality stuff. Was hoping they'd make this move.

bigwampum
05-02-08, 05:34 PM
Good news. Hopefully he can give Ohlendorf and Albie a breather every now and then.

R.V.47
05-02-08, 05:48 PM
Veras was never really very impressive in his big league appearances but he does have good stuff so hopefully he can contribute.

justinvarnes
05-02-08, 05:59 PM
I'm assuming Olly/Britton/Alby goes down for Rasner tomorrow?

yankeeman61
05-02-08, 06:07 PM
I do not want to see Veras in the game tonight

CallOfTheCrow
05-02-08, 06:08 PM
I do not want to see Veras in the game tonight

If it means we're up by 10, I'm all for it.

yankeeman61
05-02-08, 06:10 PM
If it means we're up by 10, I'm all for it.

OK I'll buy that for a dollar ;)

Nome
05-02-08, 06:13 PM
Thanks & ditto. I can barely find current Yankee news with the megathreads & a real news item is a breath of fresh air.
I agree with you both and find the performance threads for the players and for the teams EXTREMELY COUNTERPRODUCTIVE.

I will probably post less and less and possibly not come here anymore. That is sad to me because I was here almost from the start, but I find those threads almost anti intelectual. I know people will disagree with me, but that's how I feel and I will vote with my feet.

Andy:( :( :( :D :D :mad:

R.V.47
05-02-08, 06:18 PM
I'm assuming Olly/Britton/Alby goes down for Rasner tomorrow?

Probably Britton, Alby seems to have impressed Girardi a lot and with good reason.

Allan
05-02-08, 06:38 PM
Probably Britton, Alby seems to have impressed Girardi a lot and with good reason.
I have to think that Girardi was a little underwhelmed with Alby last night, though.

cupcollector99
05-02-08, 06:40 PM
Wait, is this the "official" Jose Veras performance thread?

smckdwn989
05-02-08, 06:42 PM

that seems a bit unfair. britton came in and did the job. alby didn't...

yes he's been good, but the same can be said about britton when he actually gets a shot.

NavyTim
05-02-08, 06:49 PM
Wait, is this the "official" Jose Veras performance thread?

But first, we need to see the "Official" Jose Veras has been Called Up thread...followed by the "Official" Jose Veras Warms Up in the Bullpen Thread.

thaa
05-02-08, 06:52 PM
I agree with you both and find the performance threads for the players and for the teams EXTREMELY COUNTERPRODUCTIVE.

I will probably post less and less and possibly not come here anymore. That is sad to me because I was here almost from the start, but I find those threads almost anti intelectual. I know people will disagree with me, but that's how I feel and I will vote with my feet.

Andy:( :( :( :D :D :mad:

I agree entirely with you. The megathreads are now out of hand. People should begin submitting more narrowly-defined posts that can't so easily be absorbed into those unreadable threads.

yankeetomer54
05-02-08, 06:56 PM
I think this is good news veras is a very good option out of the pen

-tz
05-02-08, 08:25 PM
Don't forget, we now have Inside the Lines II, special for people who don't like the megathreads. You can start a thread for anything in there, as long as it's Yankees on the field stuff. :)

DontHateOnNumber2
05-02-08, 08:50 PM
I'm glad I paid a visit to the forum. I'd never hear about this down here in Florida. This is nice as it gives us another fresh arm in the pen that has SOME experience. Hopefully he manages to evade opposing bats as well.

AcidLake
05-02-08, 08:54 PM
I'm excited of seeing his 97mph fastball, 90mph hard slider and a curve with a big loop. Now only if he could control better

teknetic
05-02-08, 08:59 PM
I'm excited of seeing his 97mph fastball, 90mph hard slider and a curve with a big loop. Now only if he could control better

So he's Joba without the control? what?

AcidLake
05-02-08, 09:00 PM
Umm you could say that. I mean, that's what I saw on this guy

teknetic
05-02-08, 09:04 PM
From what I saw in his limited exposure was a guy who threw hard (didn't see too many 97's, mainly 94-95) with shoddy control and don't even recall seeing a decent curveball. It's worth a shot to see what he can do, but I'm not not expecting much.

GoYanks
05-03-08, 01:14 AM
Don't forget, we now have Inside the Lines II, special for people who don't like the megathreads. You can start a thread for anything in there, as long as it's Yankees on the field stuff. :)

Thanks for pointing this out; I learned something today ;-). However, a) it's not obvious on the site & b) I think it needs a new name (Inside the Lines 2 seems like an afterthought when in fact it's more in the original spirit of the forum ... jmho!). If you've been around here for awhile, this is easy to miss.

NelsonMuntz
05-03-08, 10:15 AM
Thanks for pointing this out; I learned something today ;-). However, a) it's not obvious on the site & b) I think it needs a new name (Inside the Lines 2 seems like an afterthought when in fact it's more in the original spirit of the forum ... jmho!). If you've been around here for awhile, this is easy to miss.
Agree on all points.

DisabledMess
05-03-08, 10:30 AM
I'm very excited to Veras up. I've been following him in the minor leagues and he has been dominant.

ShaneTravis
05-03-08, 10:33 AM
Excited to see him pitch. As the closer for AAA he pitched 13 innings at an Era 1.38

Hopefully send Jonathan down and keep Britton and Veras up here. As far as the SWB team goes this is it for relievers. We have pretty much seen them all.

I wish him luck and success.

Rocketbooster
05-03-08, 10:37 AM
Excited to see him pitch. As the closer for AAA he pitched 13 innings at an Era 1.38

Hopefully send Jonathan down and keep Britton and Veras up here. As far as the SWB team goes this is it for relievers. We have pretty much seen them all.

I wish him luck and success.

Abaladejo has one shaky outing and already he should be sent down? That was Joe's fault for pushing him against the Tigers after he had already given up 2 runs (but minimized the damage by getting the final 2 outs of the inning).
He's done a good job for the Yankees and I think he's shown that he can be very valuable; he does not deserve a demotion by any means.

apalradio
05-03-08, 10:55 AM
Abaladejo has one shaky outing and already he should be sent down? That was Joe's fault for pushing him against the Tigers after he had already given up 2 runs (but minimized the damage by getting the final 2 outs of the inning).
He's done a good job for the Yankees and I think he's shown that he can be very valuable; he does not deserve a demotion by any means.Agreed. The only other outing in which he gave up anything was the two runs the Sox scored against him in a 3 inning stint. Interestingly, he threw 46 and 48 pitches in these two outings and they were his worst. He was flawless when he pitched shorter relief.

ShaneTravis
05-03-08, 11:11 AM
He's done a good job for the Yankees and I think he's shown that he can be very valuable; he does not deserve a demotion by any means.

I want to see Britton and get an extended look. Someone has to go down so don't look at it as a demotion.

Room has to be made for Rasner.

Rocketbooster
05-03-08, 12:05 PM
I want to see Britton and get an extended look. Someone has to go down so don't look at it as a demotion.

Room has to be made for Rasner.

I just don't see any reason for Albaladejo to be sent down.......I'm not particularly interested in Britton when Alby has already done the job.........and the latter would look at it as a demotion. Why wouldn't he? The Yankees would be telling him that he hasn't done the job well enough to warrant staying up here.

I understand your point, Shane, and if Alby hadn't pitched well - no problem.

TheManKnownAsMecca
05-03-08, 04:03 PM
So far so good.

NelsonMuntz
05-03-08, 04:06 PM
Can't watch due to game being blacked out on EI but following along Gameday and looks like he had a nice outing today.

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-03-08, 04:12 PM
Filthy stuff and looked like he had very good control today (dropped a really nice slider in for a called strike).

hellonewman
05-03-08, 04:14 PM
He earned a shot in Scranton, glad to see he's getting that shot. Meritocracy is good.

smckdwn989
05-03-08, 04:29 PM
add another quality arm to the yankee bullpen? sounds good to me. finally I can say I love the amount of quality arms that the yankees have in the pen.

From Albeledejo, Ohlendorf, Veras and Britton all competing for 6th and 7th inning roles.

To Kyle Farnsworth being the main 7th inning guy, Joba pitching the 8th and then Mo closing it out in the 9th.

Hawkins has a role on the team, but i only feel comfortable seeing him in blowouts tbh.

Bostonsfavson
05-22-08, 09:06 PM
Boy, Veras looked filthy tonight. Just great stuff.

4bronxbombers
05-22-08, 09:06 PM
Boy, Veras looked filthy tonight. Just great stuff.

Nice! :D

ieddyi
05-22-08, 10:07 PM
IF you can, watch his delivery in slow motion- especially the movement of his head

He starts out looking at the plate, then looks over to third while he;s in the process of going towards the plate. He then whips his head across and down quickly- he hardly looks at the plate at all- sorta like Ojajima

Sure is effective, though

JavyVazquezIsSick
05-22-08, 10:47 PM
I'd like to see him to slowly get more important innings. Tonight might of been a step in that direction.

R.V.47
05-22-08, 11:56 PM
I'd like to see him to slowly get more important innings. Tonight might of been a step in that direction.

Girardi mentioned Veras today on Mike and the Maddog when he talked about replacing Jobas late inning role. I dont think it will be him alone but a combination of him and the revamped Farnsworth might be able to get it done.

THEBOSS84
05-23-08, 12:00 AM
That slider he threw to strike out Roberts was flat out nasty. He hit 95 on the YES gun.

I remember when we signed him a few years ago, he was quoted as saying something along the lines of him being excited to set up for Mo. I remember thinking, wow this guy is crazy if he thinks he'll get to do that. I may have been wrong.

smckdwn989
05-23-08, 12:15 AM
just one of the many weapons that the yankees have for the pen.

farnsworth, veras, ramirez, cox, melancon, ohlendorf

it's hard to believe that the pen will have that much trouble in the 8th with arms like this

Yankees13
05-23-08, 12:53 AM
Well, Veras may turn out to be prophetic. Remember when he was signed and he said he was looking forward to setting up for Mo and people were like WTF? Might actually happen.

ArodMVP217
05-23-08, 12:57 AM
the curve ball k to roberts was sick after he was hitting the outside corner

Buzah!
05-23-08, 01:32 AM
He's nasty now that he's healthy.

flymick24
05-23-08, 05:39 AM
his mechanics are so beautiful

NelsonMuntz
05-23-08, 10:47 AM
Well, Veras may turn out to be prophetic. Remember when he was signed and he said he was looking forward to setting up for Mo and people were like WTF? Might actually happen.
I completely forgot about that statement but you're right. It seemed ludicrous at the time. Now, not so much.

THEBOSS84
05-23-08, 10:49 AM
I completely forgot about that statement but you're right. It seemed ludicrous at the time. Now, not so much.

I get no credit for posting that 2 posts above Yankees13 :(

primetime714
05-23-08, 11:21 AM
Great outing by Veras last night. I think the organization definitely likes him as a late inning option. He was a closer throughout a large portion of his tenure in the minors. Last year after September callups he pitched late in games and even picked up 2 saves and has 1 more from 2006.

bobbymagee
05-23-08, 11:24 AM

I noticed it.... almost 12 hours late... Either way he looks sick.... Can't wait for JB Cox, Robertson, and melancon to join Mo, Ramirez, Farns, and Veras. Holy Cow , We actually have a sick Bullpen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ynkcpt23
05-23-08, 11:31 AM
Great outing by Veras last night. I think the organization definitely likes him as a late inning option. He was a closer throughout a large portion of his tenure in the minors. Last year after September callups he pitched late in games and even picked up 2 saves and has 1 more from 2006.

I've always liked his stuff, just questioned his control. He looked good from what I saw last night...

justtxyank
05-23-08, 11:55 AM
http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051121&content_id=1271195&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

11/21/2005

"I feel proud that the Yankees have signed me to help set the table for Mariano Rivera," Veras told The AP. "That's something very important to me."

NelsonMuntz
05-23-08, 04:28 PM
Sorry man, nothing personal. For some reason I didn't see it in your post.

hellonewman
05-23-08, 04:32 PM
I remember when we signed him a few years ago, he was quoted as saying something along the lines of him being excited to set up for Mo. I remember thinking, wow this guy is crazy if he thinks he'll get to do that. I may have been wrong.As I recall he got quite a bit of guff here for that statement. The thing is, he actually said he would "help set the table," which is not exactly like saying "I'm going to be the 8th-inning setup man." That's how a lot of people took it, though.

R.V.47
05-24-08, 04:35 PM
Another decent outing for Veras today, I really think he might become an important part of the pen with Joba moving to the rotation especially since Farnsworth cant pitch back to back days.

Bostonsfavson
05-24-08, 05:21 PM
Another decent outing for Veras today, I really think he might become an important part of the pen with Joba moving to the rotation especially since Farnsworth cant pitch back to back days.

He certainly has the stuff, no question about that. The opportunity is there; let's hope he grabs it.

S2K
05-26-08, 04:10 PM
Yeah, he grabbed it alright.... :mad:

AlongCameAPrincess
05-27-08, 03:15 AM
He was just off today. He was leaving the pitches high and smack in the middle. There was no other outcome possible with pros taking swings at those kinds of pitches.

yankeetomer54
05-27-08, 07:05 AM
veras was so bad last night,. he has to regroup like he did last season in september.

fellows
05-31-08, 07:10 PM
SSS but check out Jose's splits this year:

vs LHB: 18 AB .333/.368/.667 ; vs RHB: 21 AB .095/.136/.095

Hopefully the Yankees will match up with Veras on mostly RH, and Edwar mostly LH.