PDA

View Full Version : Who do you want/NOT want on the 2009 Yankees?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

grickmaaaz
08-28-08, 08:54 AM
They might as well just trade everyone we have and just buy a brand new team for next year

Ynkcpt23
08-28-08, 09:07 AM
You can't call that a decline though. He simply had a career year in 05'. Following up the best year of your career with probably your second best year in your career is by no means a decline.

I think his falling numbers have more to do with poor conditioning, injuries (this year), and lack of motivation. I can't say for certain he will turn these things around, however in a contract year when his stock is as low as its ever been I imagine he'd more motivated than ever to prove he can still play and land himself another contract. Its certainly a risk and I totally I understand your reasons for not wanting him, but personally I think it is a gamble worth taking if the Dodgers are willing to foot more than half the bill and/or take Igawa off our hands.

Milton Bradley no doubt is a better hitter, but you can't count on him to play CF or the OF at all really. He's barely played CF since 2005 and he's never really been healthy for a full year when he has played the OF. He's a great hitter, but you can make an argument that due to injury risk he is a strictly a DH. Part of the reason I think he has done so well in Texas is because they allow him to be the DH on a regular basis which has kept his fresh and healthy (for the most part).

There's no way you can bring in Bradley to play CF. He wouldn't be any help unless it were strictly a platoon. He is a terrific hitter, but we have too many DH types as it is.

I think Jones would be worth a sniff. The Dodgers would likely weep with relief to have some of his contract off of their books...and I think primetime's got a decent argument, he would have to be motivated to get his butt into shape or no more $$$. God knows he'd offer more offensively than Melky.

We really have to address our pitching--I have read and thought through more info than I care to talk about, and I'm at a loss. I love Moose but think we can't count on anything like this next year. I want to bring Andy back but his velocity is way down. I have doubts about our ability to sign CC and don't even get me started on Sheets...

I guess the bottom line is I want the FO to do anything and everything to avoid another season like this. Initial talk seems positive from the loudest Steinbrenner. Who the he** knows???

walesave
08-28-08, 09:37 AM
Position players
Keep (for some there is no choice): Posada, Cano, Jeter, A-Rod, Nady, Abreu, Matsui (DH). Every other position player is expendable.

Acquire : CF is the key position on which to focus (Kotsay or Baldelli, if healthy). Texiera would be a good upgrade, especially defensively, at 1B.

Pitching
Keep: Wang, Joba, Mussina, Veras, Ramirez, Bruney, Mo. Kick the rest to the curb.
Get: CC, Lackey

wang+cano=future
08-28-08, 09:49 AM
Position players
Keep (for some there is no choice): Posada, Cano, Jeter, A-Rod, Nady, Abreu, Matsui (DH). Every other position player is expendable.

Acquire : CF is the key position on which to focus (Kotsay or Baldelli, if healthy). Texiera would be a good upgrade, especially defensively, at 1B.

Pitching
Keep: Wang, Joba, Mussina, Veras, Ramirez, Bruney, Mo. Kick the rest to the curb.
Get: CC, Lackey

How do you propose prying Lackey away from the Angels?

Bleacher_Creature
08-28-08, 09:52 AM
Previously, Hank mentioned the Yankees' likely pursuit of veteran pitching. It would make sense to bring Mike Mussina and Andy Pettitte back on reasonable one-year deals if possible, and then break the bank on a third, younger free agent like C.C. Sabathia, Ben Sheets, or A.J. Burnett. Expect the Yanks to be aggressive in their pursuit of Sabathia. Some good pitchers will be coming over from Japan, but I'm guessing the Yankees will pass.

The infield remains locked in, with Jorge Posada probably needing some time at DH. Hideki Matsui may as well, so bringing in a legitimate full-time first baseman makes sense. If the Yankees can't get Mark Teixeira, they'll probably have to turn to the trade market (or consider Adam Dunn as a first baseman). The trade market may offer Prince Fielder, Ryan Howard, Adam LaRoche, Mike Jacobs, Todd Helton, and Nick Johnson.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

ppa79
08-28-08, 09:55 AM
Want:
CC, Sheets, Tex.

We need power pitchers to shut down the Red Sox.

walesave
08-28-08, 09:59 AM
How do you propose prying Lackey away from the Angels?

I admit it is a bit of a wish but not completely absurd. Though Lackey is a FA next year the Angels have a $9M option on him. Deals can be made for a player entering his option year. Do the Yankees have anything LA wants? That's the question.

ppa79
08-28-08, 10:01 AM
I admit it is a bit of a wish but not completely absurd. Though Lackey is a FA next year the Angels have a $9M option on him. Deals can be made for a player entering his option year. Do the Yankees have anything LA wants? That's the question.

Why would they trade their best pitcher to us? Would you trade Joba to them?

MTYankee23
08-28-08, 10:15 AM
Want:
CC, Sheets, Tex.

We need power pitchers to shut down the Red Sox.

It's a must. Have to be in on all 3. We need pitchers who can get swings and misses or weak contact in the strike zone. Not just for the Red Sox, but any good hitting AL team.

walesave
08-28-08, 10:21 AM
Why would they trade their best pitcher to us? Would you trade Joba to them?

I would.

wang+cano=future
08-28-08, 10:24 AM
Joba for Lackey (who is a FA after next season)? :wtf: Really?

ppa79
08-28-08, 10:34 AM
I would.

Okay, thats your opinion, but I wouldn't.

ppa79
08-28-08, 10:34 AM
It's a must. Have to be in on all 3. We need pitchers who can get swings and misses or weak contact in the strike zone. Not just for the Red Sox, but any good hitting AL team.

Then add Joba into the mix our top 3 guys are power arms.

MTYankee23
08-28-08, 11:42 AM
Then add Joba into the mix our top 3 guys are power arms.

Exactly, with a 4th guy who has a power sinker (and in my opinion would thrive as a 3-4) and Hughes as a 5 (unless you could get a cost controlled hitter at a premium defensive position).

Ynkcpt23
08-28-08, 02:27 PM

Have to agree here. Lackey's great, but I wouldn't do this deal if you held a gun to my head.

teknetic
08-28-08, 03:40 PM
I would.

Joba for Lackey? Are you on crack?

CC, Wang, Joba = awesome
CC, Wang, Sheets, Joba, Moose = $#$%!@

dont_ya_know24
08-28-08, 03:47 PM
pettitte and moose shosuld be resigned
CC and sheets is not happening, it's one or the other. (hopefully CC)

CC Wang Joba Moose Pettitte with hughes and kennedy and such in the minors until someone gets injured.

spyglass
08-28-08, 04:24 PM
Bring back Moose.

Roberto Kelly
08-28-08, 08:21 PM
Abreu
Igawa
Matsui
Shelley Duncan
Bobby Meacham
Cano
Ponson

YanksFan1992
08-28-08, 08:29 PM
Cano
:eek:

Damon(MVP)
08-28-08, 08:30 PM
1B-Texiera
2b-Cano
SS-Jeter
3B-Alex
C- Posada/Molina combo
DH-Matsui
LF-Nady
CF-Someone with a cannon arm who can also hit.
RF-Abreu

ChinMusic
08-28-08, 08:41 PM
pettitte and moose shosuld be resigned
CC and sheets is not happening, it's one or the other. (hopefully CC)

CC Wang Joba Moose Pettitte with hughes and kennedy and such in the minors until someone gets injured.

Agree with this. Sign Tex let Giambi go. Keep Abreu, and resign a third catcher. If Posada is able to play catcher, let the third catcher go. If not, then he splits time at DH with Matsui, and maybe move Matsui next July. Keep Marte and add 1 bullpen arm.

Hellsing
08-28-08, 10:27 PM
I have a feeling the Yankees are not going to land CC OR Tex in the off-season.

I do see them walking away with Sheets if they miss out on the other players.

genius-24
08-28-08, 10:37 PM
Don't want

ARod.

DaBliz
08-28-08, 11:33 PM
CF-Someone with a cannon arm who can also hit.

I'm on board with this... too bad there aren't any of these available this offseason :( But, while you're at it, throw in a guy who can steal 60 bases and hit 50 dingers.

nycdoc999
08-29-08, 12:07 AM
Dont Want:

Giambi - Type B?
IRod - Type B
Abreu - Type A
Mussina if he wants more than a 2 year deal
Pettitte if he wants more than a 1 year deal
Kennedy
Igawa
Cabrera

Want:

CC
Sheets (with Burnett as a fall back) if one of Mussina or Pettitte is not back
Texeira

lf Damon
ss Jeter
1b Tex
3b Rodriguez
dh Matsui
rf Nady
c Posada
2b Cano
cf Anyone but Melky

CC
Wang
Sheets/Burnett
Mussina OR Pettitte
Joba

Rasner
Robertson
Marte
Ramirez
Bruney
Melancon
Rivera

aeromac76
08-29-08, 07:37 AM
I'd go all in for CC and Tex, almost blank check all in.
I'd also go look at Manny long and hard. He would be motivated to smack Boston around and prove them wrong. If he hits like Manny can hit, what his actual motivation is does not matter to me.. You can probably get Manny for 2 or 3 years if you go big cash, which we can do.
After that it simply comes down to one additional starter out of the grpup ouf our two guys, Moose and Pettitte, or a guy like AH Burnett or Oliver Perez.
Perez and Burnett will want long term contracts, but are young power arms. Moose and Pettitte can be gotten for shorter deals, but are up there and no longer are power anything, and power pitching does tend to win in the playoffs and in big games.
The pen is fine with most of the holdovers and a few new arms (Melancon, Sanchez, Cox et al) added in..

Me personally, I think I'd go for Burnett or Perez because I know the deal will cost more, but their ability to overpower is a big factor for me. And I think I like Burnett a little more than Ollie.

That would mean
Sabathia, Wang, Burnett, Chamberlain, Hughes. (Horne, maybe a Rasner and even a Sidney Ponson because I think he really has earned a looksie next year) to back up and make starts if needed on an injury basis. I hate to say goodbye to Andy, but if we would take a one year at low money, maybe I bring him back, someone always does get hurt and I still like Andy.. Moose, as far as I am concerned, this is his swan song.
I know the year he is having, and I admire him for it, but it is better to sign off too early than too late. I'd be stunned id he could do this next year, and a guy lik that has to be perfect, esp in the playoffs, and his stuff does not translate to the pen in the postseason. I'd say thanks and have fun..

The lineup, I am going to allow Damon to play CF. He can go get it, and his Toronto drops notwithstanding, he is a pretty good getter of the baseball. Melky or Gardner can caddy when needed. Let Nady play LF. Let ManRam and Matsui play RF, the short easier field, the one not in the field DH's. Tex, Cano, Jeter, Arod are your IF.
C is an interesting one. For my money, Posada is valuable if he can catch. As a DH or 1B he is not nearly as valuable. I wait until he is ready to catch and then I put him back there. Until then, I'd go with Molina and whatever else to backup. Would NOT bring back Pudge.

Pen is fine within the organization.. Mo, Edwar, Robertson, Marte. I want Melancon in there somewgere as well, a nice Sept callup might be in the cards. I know about Veras, and I might have him get a spot, but if a guy like Sanchez or Cox gets ready and dominant, then I want them there as well, and I think I'd use Veras as the first casualty.

That team, is not any more expensive than this year;s team despite adding all the marquee names, and we will pay less into revnue sharing because of the new stadium being funded by us. In essence, the out of pocket expense for that team might actually be less than what we shelled out to watch October from home this year..

Nick71
08-29-08, 02:00 PM
Where does Manny fit on a team that already has Matsui and Damon?

I'm not sure I want to sign Texeira long-term, as the first base slot should be kept open for Posada and/or Jeter.

Go hard after CC or Sheets. Re-sign one of Mussina or Pettitte. I'd prefer Pettitte since you know he'll give you #3 starter quality.

Re-sign Ivan Rodriguez, move Posada to first base.

c - Rodriguez
1b - Posada
2b - Cano
ss - Jeter
3b - Arod
lf - Damon
cf -
rf - Nady
dh - Matsui

Sheets, Wang, Chamberlein, Pettitte, Hughes

Find a center fielder. I would be completely open to dealing Cano for someone like Kemp.

Zimmers' Helmet
08-29-08, 02:34 PM
Goodbye :
I-Rod
Giambi
Betemit
Abreu
Cabrera
Ponson
Pavano
Rasner
Igawa
Meacham

27andMore!
08-29-08, 02:56 PM
Don't want:
Pavano (finally)
Abreu (if you can get him to sign a 1 or 2 year deal I'm all for it)
I-Rod
Giambi
Pettite
Melky

Want:
CC
Moose (1 year deal)
Tex (offer 7-154 don't go any higher)
Cameron/Kotsay (1 year deal until Jackson is ready)
Ponson (minor league contract)
Marte

C: Posada/ Molina
1b: Tex
2b: Cano
3b: A-rod
SS: Jeter
LF: Damon
CF: Cameron/Kotsay
RF: Nady
DH: Matsui/Posada

CC
Wang
Joba
Moose
Hughes

freebubba
08-29-08, 03:23 PM
Don't want:
Pavano (finally)
Abreu (if you can get him to sign a 1 or 2 year deal I'm all for it)
I-Rod
Giambi
Pettite
Melky

Want:
CC
Moose (1 year deal)
Tex (offer 7-154 don't go any higher)
Cameron/Kotsay (1 year deal until Jackson is ready)
Ponson (minor league contract)
Marte

C: Posada/ Molina
1b: Tex
2b: Cano
3b: A-rod
SS: Jeter
LF: Damon
CF: Cameron/Kotsay
RF: Nady
DH: Matsui/Posada

CC
Wang
Joba
Moose
Hughes

I prefer Cameron, but I think it'll take more than a one year deal to get him, which I am not opposed to. It will alleviate some of the pressure on AJax. If we miss out on Tex (which I think we will), I like his pop. We need to work out a deal for a young 1B/OF type.

teknetic
08-29-08, 04:06 PM
Goodbye :
I-Rod
Giambi
Betemit
Abreu
Cabrera
Ponson
Pavano
Rasner
Igawa
Meacham

Co-sign on every single one; the last one being the biggest kicker of them all. That dude infuriates me with how easy his job is and how badly he sucks at it.

primetime714
08-29-08, 07:25 PM
I prefer Cameron, but I think it'll take more than a one year deal to get him, which I am not opposed to. It will alleviate some of the pressure on AJax. If we miss out on Tex (which I think we will), I like his pop. We need to work out a deal for a young 1B/OF type.

Its been rumored that the Brewers will pick up Cameron's option for 09' so he likely won't even be available.

I'd sign Kotsay to a cheap deal and let him have it out with Melky and Gardner for the starting CF spot.

walesave
08-29-08, 07:33 PM

You lost the thread of my opinion. Of course, it would be dependent on signing Lackey to a long term deal.

walesave
08-29-08, 07:34 PM
Joba for Lackey? Are you on crack?

CC, Wang, Joba = awesome
CC, Wang, Sheets, Joba, Moose = $#$%!@

You may resort to crack if Joba's tendenitis becomes a more cronic problem with increased innings.

walesave
08-29-08, 07:37 PM
Okay, thats your opinion, but I wouldn't.

It's all about opinions here. Lackey has a proven track record. Joba has tendinitis after a handful of starts.

teknetic
08-29-08, 07:38 PM
It probably had nothing to do with the Texas heat. You don't trade guys like him because of shoulder tendinitis, especially for pitchers entering their 30's who are gonna be free agents.

walesave
08-29-08, 07:52 PM
It probably had nothing to do with the Texas heat. You don't trade guys like him because of shoulder tendinitis, especially for pitchers entering their 30's who are gonna be free agents.

Rotator cuff tendinitis is not an injury to dismiss as insignificant. It is a self-exacerbating condition. Thirty years is a prime age for a pitcher these days and we have no more than three to four years left with Jeter, Posada, and Mo. So, you can disagree but my opinion is as plausible as your desire to keep Joba. Only time will tell. I hope Joba has a long, successful career with the Yankees.

PYanks
08-29-08, 08:01 PM
Of the current players whose contracts are up:

Pettitte, I think, will retire.

Let Giambi, Pudge, and Pavano go.

Re-sign Moose (if he wants to stay) to a one-year deal. Abreu also to a one or two year deal (preferably one).

I'd like CC and Tex, but I know they'll be expensive.

teknetic
08-29-08, 08:51 PM
Rotator cuff tendinitis is not an injury to dismiss as insignificant. It is a self-exacerbating condition. Thirty years is a prime age for a pitcher these days and we have no more than three to four years left with Jeter, Posada, and Mo. So, you can disagree but my opinion is as plausible as your desire to keep Joba. Only time will tell. I hope Joba has a long, successful career with the Yankees.

Joba was on his way to putting up the numbers Lackey put up last year (if not better) at the age of 22-23. Prime age is dandy and all, but I'd bet the bank Joba puts up better numbers than Lackey the next 5 years and he'll do it for 1/4th the cost.

walesave
08-29-08, 09:37 PM
Joba was on his way to putting up the numbers Lackey put up last year (if not better) at the age of 22-23. Prime age is dandy and all, but I'd bet the bank Joba puts up better numbers than Lackey the next 5 years and he'll do it for 1/4th the cost.

...provided he stays healthy. I hope you're right. Otherwise, you may be the one smoking crack.

cyhughes22
08-30-08, 11:59 PM
It's all about opinions here. Lackey has a proven track record. Joba has tendinitis after a handful of starts.

I'm sorry but there isn't a GM in baseball who would trade Joba for Lackey. And if one actually did, he'd be fired the next day. Granted, Lackey is a good pitcher but Joba has already shown flashes of flat out once in a generation type dominance and he's 23. You don't trade that for a guy in his 30's who isn't even 1 of the top 5 pitchers in baseball.

apalradio
08-31-08, 12:16 AM
Damaso Marte is a NOT. Amazingly ineffective, joining a long line of pitchers/players who seem to forget how to do what they're known for as soon as they put on the pinstripes. Who do I want? Matt Cain.

Pinstripe Pride23
08-31-08, 11:38 AM
Damaso Marte is a NOT. Amazingly ineffective, joining a long line of pitchers/players who seem to forget how to do what they're known for as soon as they put on the pinstripes. Who do I want? Matt Cain.

I'll pass on Cain. I'm tired of this never ending parade of National League pitchers.

Bleacher_Creature
09-17-08, 12:13 PM
Yanks To Let Abreu, Giambi Leave? (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/09/yanks-to-let-ab.html)

The general consensus appears that free agents Bobby Abreu and Jason Giambi will be allowed to leave and that fits a logic: The Yanks are trying to get younger, trying to thin the herd of aging corner outfield/first base/DH types and trying to reduce the payroll where possible.

The Yanks would save more than $25MM by letting the pair leave. But, they'd lose a couple of their top OBP guys.

Beyond Teixeira, the Yankees could attempt to trade for Ryan Howard, Prince Fielder, or Adam LaRoche. As far as team control, Howard and Fielder have three years, LaRoche one. It's tough to see the Phillies or Brewers making a deal without Phil Hughes. A couple of other possible trade candidates include Garrett Atkins, Lyle Overbay, Nick Johnson, and Todd Helton.

http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/st/archives/2008/09/3_up_joba_giamb.html

mvk112
09-17-08, 12:18 PM

What? He had an elbow issue that is now better. In his past 12 innings, his WHIP has been 0.92, and he has K'd 16 batters.

flymick24
09-17-08, 12:34 PM
you gotta keep marte... the yankees have wanted him back for YEARS, and when we finally have him under control for another year, we're gonna let him walk?

if cashman is back, he most certainly won't let that happen, cuz he's the one that traded marte away for enrique wilson to begin with

THEBOSS84
09-17-08, 12:36 PM
Yanks To Let Abreu, Giambi Leave? (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/09/yanks-to-let-ab.html)

The general consensus appears that free agents Bobby Abreu and Jason Giambi will be allowed to leave and that fits a logic: The Yanks are trying to get younger, trying to thin the herd of aging corner outfield/first base/DH types and trying to reduce the payroll where possible.

The Yanks would save more than $25MM by letting the pair leave. But, they'd lose a couple of their top OBP guys.

Beyond Teixeira, the Yankees could attempt to trade for Ryan Howard, Prince Fielder, or Adam LaRoche. As far as team control, Howard and Fielder have three years, LaRoche one. It's tough to see the Phillies or Brewers making a deal without Phil Hughes. A couple of other possible trade candidates include Garrett Atkins, Lyle Overbay, Nick Johnson, and Todd Helton.

More than$25M? More like more than $35M.

R.V.47
09-17-08, 12:42 PM

No to Howard or Fielder. To many strikeouts in the middle of the lineup.

THEBOSS84
09-17-08, 12:43 PM
No to Howard or Fielder. To many strikeouts in the middle of the lineup.

I love Howard. I don't love his defense however.

R.V.47
09-17-08, 12:45 PM
I love Howard. I don't love his defense however.

He is not all that young. Like you said his defense is bad and he will want a huge extension. We will end up with another Giambi with less OBP in 4 or 5 years.

THEBOSS84
09-17-08, 12:47 PM
He is not all that young. Like you said his defense is bad and he will want a huge extension. We will end up with another Giambi with less OBP in 4 or 5 years.

He won't get an extension though. He'll be 29 in November.

R.V.47
09-17-08, 12:49 PM
He won't get an extension though. He'll be 29 in November.

For a trade that would likely cost us top prospects IMO there will have to be some kind of extension and probably a hefty one.

THEBOSS84
09-17-08, 12:50 PM
For a trade that would likely cost us top prospects IMO there will have to be some kind of extension and probably a hefty one.

But he has three years left. The Yanks would be foolish to extend him, even if they gave up top prospects. He would have no right to request an extension either.

flymick24
09-17-08, 12:52 PM
phillies don't have an immediate replacement anyway, so talk of a ryan howard trade is just bunk

R.V.47
09-17-08, 12:57 PM
But he has three years left. The Yanks would be foolish to extend him, even if they gave up top prospects. He would have no right to request an extension either.

If they wanted to keep him just for the duration of the 3 years that might be OK since hes still in his prime but he just doesnt solve a lot of the problems we had this year such as relying on home runs to much for offense.

WashingtonYankee
09-18-08, 05:11 PM
I want to sign Giambi and Mussina for one more year. I would like to see Damon gone.

a-RobinsonCano-Fan
09-18-08, 05:57 PM
I want to sign Giambi and Mussina for one more year. I would like to see Damon gone.

Not Giambi, we have so many more options than to keep him around.

Roberto Kelly
09-18-08, 07:43 PM
you gotta keep marte... the yankees have wanted him back for YEARS, and when we finally have him under control for another year, we're gonna let him walk?

if cashman is back, he most certainly won't let that happen, cuz he's the one that traded marte away for enrique wilson to begin with

especially at that price...I think it's a 6m option...very cheap in this market.

Roberto Kelly
09-18-08, 07:44 PM

I still love NJ, despite the injury concerns.

Sam18
09-18-08, 07:53 PM
Do not want Joe Torre.

Ynkcpt23
09-18-08, 10:10 PM

Umm, Damon is coming off of one of his most productive offensive years and still has the wheels to play LF and cut down on the limp-noodle arm usage.

Giambi hits well occasionally, very well even less occasionally, and his OBP, while impressive, is negated by his lack of position other than DH and his BA which is heading towards Mendoza each year that he plays.

I think that Moose will definitely get a fair shake in his contract offer, but I have limited expectations for him next year, despite his excellence this year.

rajah
09-19-08, 09:15 AM
My comments are on position players only:

1) The Y's need to decide if they want to break the bank for Tex and then determine whether they can sign him. It seems to me that bringing folks back or not is contingent on that. (And the Manny issue also needs to be settled for the same reasons first.)

2) The Yankees also need to keep an open mind, explore multiple trades and not make many players untouchable. Jeter, ARod, Po and Mo won't be traded, and probably not Matsui. Obviously Joba is untouchable and hopefully Jackson and a few ptiching prospects, which may or may not include Hughes at this point.

But everyone else needs to be on the table. This certainly includes Nady if you can trade him for a more expensive upgrade that the other team might want to unload before free agency, like Matt Holliday.

3) Given the offensive struggles this year, at least until Tex, Manny, and the trade market are explored, its not clear to me that letting both Abreu and Giambi go makes sense. I would think Abreu is the better choice to stay at a reasonable contract, especially if Nady is traded for a bigger slugger.

primetime714
09-19-08, 10:07 AM
My comments are on position players only:

1) The Y's need to decide if they want to break the bank for Tex and then determine whether they can sign him. It seems to me that bringing folks back or not is contingent on that. (And the Manny issue also needs to be settled for the same reasons first.)

2) The Yankees also need to keep an open mind, explore multiple trades and not make many players untouchable. Jeter, ARod, Po and Mo won't be traded, and probably not Matsui. Obviously Joba is untouchable and hopefully Jackson and a few ptiching prospects, which may or may not include Hughes at this point.

But everyone else needs to be on the table. This certainly includes Nady if you can trade him for a more expensive upgrade that the other team might want to unload before free agency, like Matt Holliday.

3) Given the offensive struggles this year, at least until Tex, Manny, and the trade market are explored, its not clear to me that letting both Abreu and Giambi go makes sense. I would think Abreu is the better choice to stay at a reasonable contract, especially if Nady is traded for a bigger slugger.

Nady is a Free Agent after next year too and has Boras as his agent so you know he is going to be looking for a pretty big deal himself. What makes you think someone would give up a better player like Holliday for Nady?

rajah
09-19-08, 10:13 AM
It would not be one for one. The Y's would have to include some young pitching. The better player is going to be more difficult to sign, so a team could get a more signable player plus young pitching. The Rockies could tell their fans and in reality plan for the future and not sacrifice the present.

I don't know if this particular deal makes sense for the Rockies. But the point is that the Y's need to be flexible. I think Nady may have more market value now because of his current season and might bring something better back if he is part of a package. I could be wrong, but the general point is that you have to give to get and you can't just decide whom you ideally want on your roster without considering trade alternatives.

dan66
09-19-08, 05:47 PM
The Rockies don't need outfielders even if they trade Holiday with Seth Smith and Dexter Fowler in the wings.

dont_ya_know24
09-19-08, 09:34 PM
bullpen:

Rivera
Chamberlain
Marte
Bruney
Melancon
Sanchez
Coke
Veras
Ramirez
Aceves

= one big-A$$ bomb.

nycdoc999
09-19-08, 10:08 PM
bullpen:

Rivera
Chamberlain
Marte
Bruney
Melancon
Sanchez
Coke
Veras
Ramirez
Aceves

= one big-A$$ bomb.

What are we going to do with with 10 relievers on a 25 man roster?

THEBOSS84
09-19-08, 10:14 PM

Precisely why I called for some relievers to be traded in the "offseason idea" thread.

Don Mack
09-19-08, 11:00 PM
First of all, the guys I don't want to see back are Andy Pettitte (1-7 over his last 10), Melky Cabrera, the hitless, buntless wonder, and Jason Giambi, despite having a somewhat decent year. We've won 6 of 7 and might still be in the Wild Card race if not for Pettitte's lousy showing.

Brett Gardner doesn't hit for average yet seems to come up with the big play or the big hit. He did it again tonight, reaching over the wall to rob Luke Scott of a home run, then throwing out Nick Markakis at the plate and driving in the tying run. If he can get his average up, the centerfield position is his.

I'd love to see us sign Mark Teixeira especially since he is a switch-hitter. I think we have a better chance of signing A. J. Burnett who had a good season rather than go overboard trying to sign Sabathia. Next season, we'll have Wang back, along with Mussina and Joba Chamberlain to give us 3 good starters. So we don't have to go crazy for a FA pitcher. I'd rather go after Teixeira and solidify the lineup with a power hitter to back up ARod. I'd also bring back Abreu since he's been a solid hitter for us most of the season.

As for Manny Ramirez, I'd love to see him on the team, possibly as the DH or left-fielder but then we'd have a log-jam in the outfield. Someone has to go if we sign Manny. It will all depend on who is available to us in the FA market.

rajah
09-20-08, 10:12 AM
Log jams are not a problem if you can trade lesser players for better players. If Manny projects better than Damon, which he does, then if you have the money to sign Manny and can trade Damon, then trade Damon. What is the problem?

rajah
09-20-08, 10:19 AM
The Rockies don't need outfielders even if they trade Holiday with Seth Smith and Dexter Fowler in the wings.

So what? Send out Nady for Holliday in a three way trade, as the Sox did to get Bay. The Y's need to get creative. The point is that the Y's need to use their money advantage in trades too:

So if you have a good ball player who is tradeable in a deal for a great ball player who is available because he will command a bigger salary, then make the trade.

ppa79
09-20-08, 11:15 AM
So what? Send out Nady for Holliday in a three way trade, as the Sox did to get Bay. The Y's need to get creative. The point is that the Y's need to use their money advantage in trades too:

So if you have a good ball player who is tradeable in a deal for a great ball player who is available because he will command a bigger salary, then make the trade.

I agree. Time to get creative this offseason. Considering that Boras is Nady's agent, he'll probably be asking for a lot of money too.

THEBOSS84
09-20-08, 11:19 AM
Does Nady in Colorado = Holliday?

Does Holliday in NY = Nady?

Holliday does have a much better eye at the plate.

dont_ya_know24
09-20-08, 09:47 PM

ST bomb, sir.

you can add robertson to that list too.

Yankeesfan811
09-20-08, 11:29 PM
giambi
betimit
marte maybe

Let's Go Yanks
09-21-08, 01:45 AM
Don't want Giambi back. Also, get rid of the trash (Ponson, Rasner, Betemit, Melky).

Yankees1962
09-21-08, 04:54 AM
I agree. Time to get creative this offseason. Considering that Boras is Nady's agent, he'll probably be asking for a lot of money too.
Boras is Holliday's agent too and unless he agrees to an extension prior to the trade which isn't likely then I doubt such a trade will take place. I'm sure the Yankee GM will kick the tires with Holliday, but I am not counting on anything.

JohnnyDamonfan
09-21-08, 05:16 AM
Log jams are not a problem if you can trade lesser players for better players. If Manny projects better than Damon, which he does, then if you have the money to sign Manny and can trade Damon, then trade Damon. What is the problem?

Here's the problem right here. I may be a Johnny Damon fan but if the price is right I would trade him. Here's the issue Johnny Damon is a great offensive player. Do you really want to trade Damon for a bucket of balls? Because I am afraid if we trade him unless he's in some kind of package deal we won't get anyone to write home about.

mrmike98
09-21-08, 08:29 AM
Don't want Giambi back. Also, get rid of the trash (Ponson, Rasner, Betemit, Melky).

100% correct.

ppa79
09-21-08, 09:09 AM
Boras is Holliday's agent too and unless he agrees to an extension prior to the trade which isn't likely then I doubt such a trade will take place. I'm sure the Yankee GM will kick the tires with Holliday, but I am not counting on anything.

But if I have to give a lot of money to one of them, I would rather be Holliday. Nady is good to have if he is cheap, but once he starts asking for double digit millions, then I wouldn't want the guy. His lack of BB's scare me.

ppa79
09-21-08, 09:09 AM

Add Pavano, Irod, etc.

rajah
09-21-08, 09:22 AM
Here's the problem right here. I may be a Johnny Damon fan but if the price is right I would trade him. Here's the issue Johnny Damon is a great offensive player. Do you really want to trade Damon for a bucket of balls? Because I am afraid if we trade him unless he's in some kind of package deal we won't get anyone to write home about.

A salary dump is sufficient if you use that salary and additional revenue from the new park to sign a more productive player.

(BTW, JDF, despite my ad nauseam disparagement of JD's defense, I do recognize his offensive talents and contributions and his positive personality and leadership for the club. I have appreciated watching him, as ugly as his throwing and even his swing is to look at. I will always remember his 6-hit game, which I attended this year. I don't think he should be DFA'd!)

Yankees47
09-21-08, 10:43 AM
Bullpen in 2009

Mariano
Marte
Melancon
Bruney
Veras
Sanchez/Alba/Coke/Robertson/Rameriz (Really like all 4 here)
Giese/Rasner/Aceves (Long man who can pitch multiple innings)

Arms coming thru the system: Anthony Clagget, Kevin Wheelan, JB Cox could all come up to help the pen at some point next season as well

I dont think Chris Britton has a spot on this team and I would trade him in the offseason....This bullpen is nasty and needs no additions from outside the organization in the offseason IMO....I feel that Joba should be a full time starter from Day 1 of Spring Training next year and with Wang back I believe those are 2 guys that are should be penciled into the rotation for 2009 right now....I would let Andy Petitte go because I really dont think he is healthy or happy or effective enough to come back at 36 now....His batting average againist is nearly .300 and he is failing down the stretch and IMO next season would be a 5 starter on a good club but for 16 million no thank you....I IMO the Yanks need to add 2 starting pitchers from Outside of the organization...I would bring Moose back to a 1 year 10 million dollar deal with a mutal option for 2010...If I were the Yanks I wouldnt just sign the best FA available if they are not a fit....Outside of Joba I would really be open to trading almost any of our young players to be able to bring in an Ace that pitches well in big games for us...If we do sign CC, add another Ace to go with Wang, Joba and Moose I think our rotation could match our bullpen

JL25and3
09-21-08, 12:22 PM
Bullpen in 2009

Mariano
Marte
Melancon
Bruney
Veras
Sanchez/Alba/Coke/Robertson/Rameriz (Really like all 4 here)
Giese/Rasner/Aceves (Long man who can pitch multiple innings)

Arms coming thru the system: Anthony Clagget, Kevin Wheelan, JB Cox could all come up to help the pen at some point next season as well

I dont think Chris Britton has a spot on this team and I would trade him in the offseason....This bullpen is nasty and needs no additions from outside the organization in the offseason IMO....I feel that Joba should be a full time starter from Day 1 of Spring Training next year and with Wang back I believe those are 2 guys that are should be penciled into the rotation for 2009 right now....I would let Andy Petitte go because I really dont think he is healthy or happy or effective enough to come back at 36 now....His batting average againist is nearly .300 and he is failing down the stretch and IMO next season would be a 5 starter on a good club but for 16 million no thank you....I IMO the Yanks need to add 2 starting pitchers from Outside of the organization...I would bring Moose back to a 1 year 10 million dollar deal with a mutal option for 2010...If I were the Yanks I wouldnt just sign the best FA available if they are not a fit....Outside of Joba I would really be open to trading almost any of our young players to be able to bring in an Ace that pitches well in big games for us...If we do sign CC, add another Ace to go with Wang, Joba and Moose I think our rotation could match our bullpenThat's 13 relief pitchers, plus three more in the minors. It's the one area where they have excess strength. Yeah, I know, more pitching is good - but they have a lot of other needs as well. As TheBoss84 has said, they should be willing to trade more than Britton. (At this point, he doesn't have much trade value anyway.)

Let's Go Yanks
09-21-08, 01:42 PM
Add Pavano, Irod, etc.

Of course, I just thought they were even MORE of givens than the people I listed.

If I'm literally listing everyone I don't want back?

Giambi (most of all), Pavano, Ponson, Pudge, Betemit, Melky, Britton.

If they can trade Kennedy for something of value, do it, even if his value is at a relative low. I'm convinced he will never be anything more than a fifth starter.

Rasner and Giese as anything more than longmen in the bullpen. If they're just that, keep one of them (preferably Giese).

Andy on anything more than a cheap, one-year deal. Don't think he'd ask for more.

Moose on anything more than an economical, two-year deal (would prefer one-year deal with option). Again, I think he'd be open to a one-year deal and people who are predicting he's going to ask for three years haven't been following his quotes this year.

The only player I'm really up in the air about is Abreu.

Yankees47
09-21-08, 01:44 PM
That's 13 relief pitchers, plus three more in the minors. It's the one area where they have excess strength. Yeah, I know, more pitching is good - but they have a lot of other needs as well. As TheBoss84 has said, they should be willing to trade more than Britton. (At this point, he doesn't have much trade value anyway.)

Soon as we trade 3 or 4 relivers, than another 2 will underperform and another 3 will get hurt....You can never have enough young pitching.....With that said, I would be open to trading Edwar Rameriz what do you feel he can bring back in return?

YanksFan1992
09-21-08, 01:45 PM
Steve Phillips.

Someone suggested on the pre-game show that he should apply for the Yankees GM position. :eek:

Yankees47
09-21-08, 01:46 PM
A salary dump is sufficient if you use that salary and additional revenue from the new park to sign a more productive player.

(BTW, JDF, despite my ad nauseam disparagement of JD's defense, I do recognize his offensive talents and contributions and his positive personality and leadership for the club. I have appreciated watching him, as ugly as his throwing and even his swing is to look at. I will always remember his 6-hit game, which I attended this year. I don't think he should be DFA'd!)

The Free Agent class this year outside of CC and Tex is very very thin....Your not going to sign a LF that is better or even as good as Johnny Damon right now....I would only deal him if we could land a 3-4 starter with big experience in return...He is going to be in shape next year with one year left on his deal and I really think Damon can still hit and be a decent LF....CF is over for him but he can still be productive...If they deal him for Minor leaguers just to clear salary than were the Florida Marlins

JL25and3
09-21-08, 02:32 PM
Soon as we trade 3 or 4 relivers, than another 2 will underperform and another 3 will get hurt....You can never have enough young pitching.....With that said, I would be open to trading Edwar Rameriz what do you feel he can bring back in return?It's true, if you only have about 4 extra relief pitchers, eventually you might be struggling to find the 11th or 12th man on your pitching staff. I like having young pitching, I really do, and I suppose it's true that you can't have enough - that is, assuming that the rest of your team is reasonably well taken care of.

At this point they've got serious needs to address, now and in the next year or two. They're not going to be able to address all of them through free agency - they won't be able to get a center fielder there, or a decent plan B for Posada. Unless they sign both CC and Teixeira - which I think is unlikely - there's even more work to do.

You're suggesting that they hold on to their one area of excess strength because it might later become less strong. However, they've got such a surplus that it's only likely to be the bottom of the bullpen that could ever run into trouble. I think that asset can be more useful if it's used to help address an actual current weakness rather than held as protection against a possible future one.

I'm not suggesting that any of them be thrown away, just that there are more efficient ways to manage their assets. Frankly, I thought this year demonstrated that pretty well.

Matsui-San
09-21-08, 04:42 PM
The Free Agent class this year outside of CC and Tex is very very thin....Your not going to sign a LF that is better or even as good as Johnny Damon right now....
Ahem... (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/5132)

teknetic
09-21-08, 05:03 PM
Ahem... (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/5132)

.404BA 16HR 49RBI 218OPS+ 1.250OPS. In other words, he's not going anywhere and it takes LA out of the Sabathia sweepstakes.

Bronxite
09-21-08, 05:15 PM
Sign Sabathia,Sheets,Burnett,Texeira.Let go Abreau,Pettite,Pavano.I-Rod,Moeller,Ransom,Ponson,Rasne .Keep Giambi if he agrees to 1 yr.,same with Mussina.Trade Cabrera for a bag of balls.

Most of this won't happen though.

Yankees1962
09-21-08, 05:37 PM
But if I have to give a lot of money to one of them, I would rather be Holliday. Nady is good to have if he is cheap, but once he starts asking for double digit millions, then I wouldn't want the guy. His lack of BB's scare me.
I don't think anybody is arguing that point because it's clear that Holliday is the better ballplayer despite his splits away from Coors.

rajah
09-22-08, 08:13 AM
The Free Agent class this year outside of CC and Tex is very very thin....Your not going to sign a LF that is better or even as good as Johnny Damon right now....I would only deal him if we could land a 3-4 starter with big experience in return...He is going to be in shape next year with one year left on his deal and I really think Damon can still hit and be a decent LF....CF is over for him but he can still be productive...If they deal him for Minor leaguers just to clear salary than were the Florida Marlins

Did you read the conversation, or just the last comment?

I said: Signing Manny for LF would be an option.

Someone else said: Can't do that because of the logjam, and Damon is our LFer for next year.

I said: No logjam if you trade Damon.

Someone said: But we can't get value for Damon.

I said: Value is dumping the contract and replacing him with a better player.

You said: There are no better LFers available.

So I guess we disagree on who is more valuable between Manny and Johnny.

Yankee Fan in Boston
09-22-08, 09:28 AM
.404BA 16HR 49RBI 218OPS+ 1.250OPS. In other words, he's not going anywhere and it takes LA out of the Sabathia sweepstakes.

Good. I'd rather get CC (although I realize this certainly doesn't guarantee that) and I wouldn't want to deal with Manny's histrionics while his stats start to decline as he ages

NelsonMuntz
09-22-08, 10:29 AM
Take this with a grain of salt but Peter Gammons said yesterday that he expects the Yankees to make a run for CC but doesn't believe they will land him. Between Sabathia, Burnett, and Sheets, I'd love if we signed 2 out of 3.

35Knucklecurve
09-22-08, 12:26 PM
Steve Phillips.

Someone suggested on the pre-game show that he should apply for the Yankees GM position. :eek:
I'd like to get rid of him on ESPN/ BBTN, but not THAT badly.

Ynkcpt23
09-22-08, 01:35 PM
Take this with a grain of salt but Peter Gammons said yesterday that he expects the Yankees to make a run for CC but doesn't believe they will land him. Between Sabathia, Burnett, and Sheets, I'd love if we signed 2 out of 3.

Giambi needs to go. Ideally we sign Tex to take over 1B. Damon cannot be considered a realistic option for everyday CF. I like the idea of trying to trade Damon and sign Manny. I also like the idea of trying to get Holliday in CF. Imagine some iteration of this lineup:

Jeter SS
Tex 1B
A-Rod 3B
Manny LF
Holliday CF
Cano 2B
Posada C
Matsui DH
Nady/Abreu/FA? RF

And a rotation of:
Sabathia
Joba
Burnett
Wang
Hughes/Aceves

I realize this is all very pipe dreamish but damn, that team would be scary.

No Sheets. He makes Burnett look like the picture of health.

Free Agents will pan out somehow. As much as I'd love to get Tex, I've already heard whispers from LA that the Halos are only going to spend so much $$ this offseason, and they have K-Rod, Tex and one more (Lackey??) to spend it on. One less team able to spend for CC...

JavyVazquezIsSick
09-22-08, 01:35 PM

Giambi needs to go. Ideally we sign Tex to take over 1B. Damon cannot be considered a realistic option for everyday CF. I like the idea of trying to trade Damon and sign Manny. I also like the idea of trying to get Holliday in CF. Imagine some iteration of this lineup:

Jeter SS
Tex 1B
A-Rod 3B
Manny LF
Holliday CF
Cano 2B
Posada C
Matsui DH
Nady/Abreu/FA? RF

And a rotation of:
Sabathia
Joba
Burnett
Wang
Hughes/Aceves

I realize this is all very pipe dreamish but damn, that team would be scary.

Holliday in CF? What?

NelsonMuntz
09-22-08, 02:12 PM
Holliday in CF? What?
LOL, my bad. I was barely awake when I made that post.

primetime714
09-22-08, 02:21 PM
No Sheets. He makes Burnett look like the picture of health.

Free Agents will pan out somehow. As much as I'd love to get Tex, I've already heard whispers from LA that the Halos are only going to spend so much $$ this offseason, and they have K-Rod, Tex and one more (Lackey??) to spend it on. One less team able to spend for CC...

So we don't go after Teixeira to take the Angels out of the running for Sabathia?? I think you go after both with very strong offers with a more aggressive one for Sabathia.

Given that Teixeira has Boras as his agent I think we're more likely to see Sabathia sign first. With that in mind I think you make the best offer for Sabathia early and try to get him locked up. Then shift efforts to Teixeira and at the very least force the Angels to overpay.

CallOfTheCrow
09-22-08, 08:40 PM
No to Pettitte, Giambi, Pavano & Abreu (Well, if Abreu will accept 2 years I'd like him back).

THEBOSS84
09-22-08, 08:57 PM
I do not want Ryan Dempster on the 2009 Yankees. They better be smarter than that.

R.V.47
09-23-08, 07:54 AM

I dont think CC really wants to play here but nobody will be able to match our offer.

primetime714
09-23-08, 08:10 AM
I do not want Ryan Dempster on the 2009 Yankees. They better be smarter than that.

Barring us striking out on pretty much every other FA starter Dempster won't sign with the Yankees. Besides by all indications he's likely to re-sign with the Cubs anyway.

bigdan
09-23-08, 10:27 PM
Well, the offseason is finally here, and for me, it couldn't have gotten here soon enough. Been a Yankee fan since '65 but I have to say I really really don't like this team. Bad karma, bad FO planning or whatever, it was a lousy lousy season.

Just need to fast forward past these playoffs. One good thing about baseball, the offseason manuevers seem to start the day after the champion is crowned so we really don't have too long to wait.

Boy a lot went wrong with this season, but I'm not sure anything was as significant as the loss of Posada. Look, the starting pitching wasn't good enough even with Wang, but we all knew that in April. I only wish Cashman did. But the loss of Posada seemed to echo throughout the whole lineup, which was the biggest disappointment of all.

Now for off season planning. Need two free agent pitchers, one for the front and one for the back of the rotation. We all know CC is the primary target. Perhaps 50/50 at best on that one. I guess Burnett is the consolation prize and we could do worse I suppose. Listening to everyone here, Sheets is that worth the injury risk. I propose we seriously consider Pavano for the backend. He's really pitched well for someone just over a year from TJ surgery. One would expect that he'd improve next year. Have to get him cheap though, no more than two years. That probably won't work out, but I think it should be considered. As much as I'd hate to say it, but it's time to say goodby to Petitte. Even though he'd only take one year, we would have to pay him like a 2 or 3, and we really should only pay for a 4 or 5. If Mussina takes one year, go for it. Two years is too much. Assuming we get a front line starter, which is an assumption, we have Wang and the FA as the 1/2. Mussina probably could hold down 3, and I'd still like to see Joba there as well, but smarter men than me will have to decide if he can handle starting. That leaves Ace, Hughes, Kennedy and the FA for the backend. Don't forget Pope either. He performed extremely well as a starter in the minors this year and I wouldn't be so quick to relegate a lefthander to the bullpen.

Let's talk about CF. If there's a deal out there for a superior player, the Yanks should consider. We are not holding this spot for Jackson. I repeat not. He's an excellent prospect but the FO can't make the same mistake with Jackson that was made with the young pitchers this year. When he's ready, he will tell you. And then we'll find a spot for him. Be that as it may, I'd don't think CF is a priority. Why? Not because Damon can play CF next year because he can't and shouldn't. Because the Yanks have two quality defenders right now on their roster, Melky and Gardner. Let's face it, defense in CF is more than half the job and we know both of these guys can do that. Let them fight it out to start next year. The thing we really need is a catcher. That should be the top off season positional priority, along with 1B. I don't know what's available, but if there is a quality young catcher that can be acquired, the Yanks need to be aggressive and that includes trading our favorite son Hughes. Catcher in this organization and in this lineup is important. I just don't think we are really going to see Posada back there, at least not on a regular basis. He really is our future DH and we need to get used to that sooner rather than later. Should be one hell of a DH though.

Would actually like to trade Damon and keep Abreu but not sure that is possible. Abreu really had a nice season. I don't think he's a 3-hitter anymore but he'd sure look nice in the 6 or 7 hole. Can't give him more than two years though. Of course Giambi is gone. That's really the easiest decision of all. Don't think you can keep Abreu if you can't trade Damon. I suppose Matsui is the DH but I don't know how that is possible if Posada can't catch. I really don't think Posada at 1B is the right move either, but perhaps for a year until Matsui and Damon are gone. I think the Yanks should go hard for Tex, but he's going to stay here in LA, at least that's what I'm hearing.

Overall, it's more likely than not the offense next year will not be better than this year, at least on paper. But I'm counting on better years from Arod, catcher, CF and Cano. At least I can hope. That's what the winter is all about!

YanksFanTillDeath
09-28-08, 09:31 AM
For those dreaming with Manny, looks like he will stay in LA... is in spanish but basically he was offer 80 + incentives to 90 Mil...

http://www.impactodeportivo.com.do/?op=displaystory&story_id=4049&format=html

a-RobinsonCano-Fan
09-29-08, 06:57 PM
For those dreaming with Manny, looks like he will stay in LA... is in spanish but basically he was offer 80 + incentives to 90 Mil...

good.

yank4life2005
09-29-08, 08:43 PM
No Giambi, Abreu or Damon.

TheGameEpisode2
09-29-08, 09:35 PM
With the Cardinals giving Kyle Lohse 4 years, 41 million there's no way Burnett doesn't get more.

With that said, I'd still go after him. Ideally I'd love to get him for three years, but I'd go four years.

Sign me up for Burnett, four years, $60 million with an option for the fifth. If he wants five years, I'll wave goodbye.

You guys already know how I feel about CC Sabathia, I'll give that guy a blank check. (If I had to give a price, I'd go 6 years, $144 million, probably more)

If neither happen, Lowe for about two years at most, and try to convince Mussina not to retire and probably bring back Pettitte. (Wang, Chamberlain, Mussina, Lowe, Pettitte/Hughes/Kennedy/Aceves....which I don't think really makes the team better).

If CC or Burnett don't happen, I think the Yanks have to go all out for Tex. Either they open their wallets for pitching, or they fix a problem that they've had for seven years, and that's fix their defense. Tex would be a good first step.

CT-Yankee
09-29-08, 10:48 PM
If Moose retires, I'll take Burnett if the price is right. I don't think CC is coming here but if so I'll take him too.
Wang
CC
Burnett
Pettitte
Sheets can be our next Pavano.:) nice pitcher if he stayed healthy.

Krall
09-30-08, 07:53 AM
No to Pettitte, Giambi, Pavano & Abreu (Well, if Abreu will accept 2 years I'd like him back).

I'm thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea to take them all back minus Giambi and only if they come at a reasonable rate. Pavano at an incentive ladden deal.

Why?

Cause for 1 the last few seasons we've been very injury prone and have had to resort to less then stellar callups (like most teams). Another reason is those guys are capable of playing in NY.

But the biggest reason is come trade dead line time we'd be ready to make some nice deals on those guys for good returns whether we are in the hunt or not. Of course that assumes we don't actually need any of them. It's time the Yankees started leveraging that excess money wisely instead of wasting it...

35Knucklecurve
09-30-08, 02:34 PM

Manny won't play anywhere he can't wear pajamas on his legs and a tarantula on his head - a dead one at that. :P

Yankeefan3783
09-30-08, 07:46 PM
Oliver Perez.

Joltin' Joe
09-30-08, 09:55 PM
Oliver Perez.

:barf:

Roberto Kelly
09-30-08, 10:03 PM
derek lowe

Sher
10-01-08, 12:36 AM
I want Teixeira, Sabathia, and Burnett
Mussina if he wants to come back

Let Abreu go
I do not want Ollie Perez anywhere near pinstripes!!

Joltin' Joe
10-01-08, 09:21 AM

Let Abreu go

There is no way we will be able to get all three, even two out of three may be a stretch.

Hellsing
10-01-08, 09:53 AM
No Mark-Tex-Era.

YES PRINCE FIELDER.
YES CC SABATHIA.
YES...MANNY RAMIEREZ.

Fielder is younger and can approximate Tex for a MUCH cheaper price. You can trade Aceves / Kennedy / Cano for Fielder *IF* you sign Hudson. The Brewers are going to have a barren rotation after this season.

Man-Ram will not come cheap, but he will be an absolute MONSTER against the Red Sox and will give A-Rod the kind of protection he needs to bring back his 2007 season.

I might take a 1 year contract on Moose, but NO WAY do I re-sign Andy Pettitte.

Yankeefan3783
10-01-08, 04:27 PM
Oliver Perez.

Oops, I should have been more clear. I DO NOT want Oliver Perez on the Yankees.

Joltin' Joe
10-02-08, 08:30 AM
Oops, I should have been more clear. I DO NOT want Oliver Perez on the Yankees.

That sounds more like it :D

JohnnyDamonfan
10-02-08, 09:51 AM
No Mark-Tex-Era.

YES PRINCE FIELDER.
YES CC SABATHIA.
YES...MANNY RAMIEREZ.

Fielder is younger and can approximate Tex for a MUCH cheaper price. You can trade Aceves / Kennedy / Cano for Fielder *IF* you sign Hudson. The Brewers are going to have a barren rotation after this season.

Man-Ram will not come cheap, but he will be an absolute MONSTER against the Red Sox and will give A-Rod the kind of protection he needs to bring back his 2007 season.

I might take a 1 year contract on Moose, but NO WAY do I re-sign Andy Pettitte.

I am more partial to Tex. If not for the sole purpose of taking him away from the Angels. Having Mark T. on their team will only make them that much better then us. But, I guess that'd be ok I guess Fielder looks more like a David Ortiz or Jason Giambi to me. You know someone who plays first every once in a while but mostly DH'S. We got enough of those but if we can trade for him with that I say we go for it I guess.

Chairman-of-TheBoard
10-02-08, 10:15 AM
The Brewers stand to possibly lose Sheets and definitely lose CC. Sucks to be them, but I'm wondering what pitcher they would take for Prince Fielder? Kennedy? They have to cut their pitching losses somehow. I like Fielder at 1B because he can actually hit to all fields and his power at the YS would be... wow.

I've heard arguments that he's no good because he weighs 300+. So what? He has hit over 30 doubles and totaled 112 HRs the past 3 seasons. Giambi has exceeded 30 doubles ONCE in the last 7 years. Prince is a serious set-up, he doesn't like his low salary in Milwaukee and has let everyone know it.

We will not be getting Tex. Let LA use funds to re-sign Tex while we try to steal CC from them. They will not be throwing enough money around to net both of them.

wang+cano=future
10-02-08, 11:01 AM
The Brewers stand to possibly lose Sheets and definitely lose CC. Sucks to be them, but I'm wondering what pitcher they would take for Prince Fielder? Kennedy? They have to cut their pitching losses somehow. I like Fielder at 1B because he can actually hit to all fields and his power at the YS would be... wow.

I've heard arguments that he's no good because he weighs 300+. So what? He has hit over 30 doubles and totaled 112 HRs the past 3 seasons. Giambi has exceeded 30 doubles ONCE in the last 7 years. Prince is a serious set-up, he doesn't like his low salary in Milwaukee and has let everyone know it.

We will not be getting Tex. Let LA use funds to re-sign Tex while we try to steal CC from them. They will not be throwing enough money around to net both of them.

It will cost a lot more than Kennedy to net Prince. I would think Hughes, Melancon and another top prospect (Montero, Betances, etc.). In which case why not just spend money on Texiera instead of trading away the farm?

JohnnyDamonfan
10-02-08, 11:37 AM

*Phew* We would have been fine if CC signed with the Dodgers. I mean since we don't play in the NL it would be no problem. But if we play the Angels with CC on that team in which we play 8 games against them in 2009 we would be totally screwed. They own us all ready. I'm sure many people don't want to think about CC being on the team. We should try to take CC. But, if we can't make sure he plays on the West coast on a National League team.

Let's just try to go after CC. We could always get Loney or Prince at first. How much would it cost us to add Braun along with Prince? That would be the end of our Left Fielder problems.

Mattingly's Stache
10-02-08, 12:15 PM
We could always get Loney or Prince at first. How much would it cost us to add Braun along with Prince? That would be the end of our Left Fielder problems.

This has to be a joke right? Honestly Braun has more value than any player on our team or in our system with the possible exception of Joba.

JohnnyDamonfan
10-02-08, 12:58 PM
This has to be a joke right? Honestly Braun has more value than any player on our team or in our system with the possible exception of Joba.

Yes, it was a joke with a bit of sarcasm mixed in.

Hellsing
10-02-08, 01:02 PM
I am more partial to Tex. If not for the sole purpose of taking him away from the Angels. Having Mark T. on their team will only make them that much better then us. But, I guess that'd be ok I guess Fielder looks more like a David Ortiz or Jason Giambi to me. You know someone who plays first every once in a while but mostly DH'S. We got enough of those but if we can trade for him with that I say we go for it I guess.

Getting Fielder is probably pie-in-the-sky thinking, but with Ryan' Howard's recent arbitration deal, it is more possible now than ever before.

You cannot pass on Tex if Fielder is out of play.

I am not a fan of Tex as I prefer Fielder. But..again...probably not going to happen.

I doubt that Moreno would shell out the kind of contract Boras will be negotiating.

walesave
10-02-08, 01:06 PM
Pitching rotation - CC is the only FA who anchor a rotation that would include Wang and Joba. I'd bring Moose back as a number 4 which leaves the five spot open for a Derek Lowe or a worthy youngster. The pen is in good shape.

Lineup - IF Posada can successfully return behind the plate, then the lineup needs to be bolsterd at 1B and CF. After Texiera (though it may be a bargaining ploy the Yanka seem lukewarm on him) the FA options at 1B aren't that great. Either Kotchman or Blalock is an upgrade defensively but a downgrade in offensive production. You might as well bring back Giambi. There FA options at CF aren't much better. Perhaps we can find a good NY doctor who can help Rocco Baldelli with his mitochondrial myopathy or gamble on Gardner until Jackson is ready.

The problem is that the FA market doesn't match the Yankees needs very well so Cashman will earn his pay looking for viable trades.

sabermet prospectus
10-02-08, 01:09 PM
Want - CC, Tex, Burnett, Manny, Mussina - in that order (and Hudson if we trade Cano) also Joba in the starting rotation.

Dont want- Lowe, Oliver Perez, Pettitte, Giambi, Abreu, Pavano, Pudge, Sheets, Joba in the bullpen.

djeter220
10-03-08, 03:01 PM
Want - CC/Peavy (either/or), Tex, Manny, Mussina, Joba in the pen, Lowe, Abreu, hudson (if we deal cano)
Dont want- sheetes, giambi, burnett, oliver perez, ichiro, pavano, pudge, pettite

dan66
10-04-08, 12:15 PM
Want - CC, Tex, Burnett, Manny, Mussina - in that order (and Hudson if we trade Cano) also Joba in the starting rotation.

Dont want- Lowe, Oliver Perez, Pettitte, Giambi, Abreu, Pavano, Pudge, Sheets, Joba in the bullpen.

CC 22 million
Tex 18 million
AJ 15 million
Manny 22 Million
Mussina 13 Million

This is dreaming. That would put the payroll over 230 million.

THEBOSS84
10-04-08, 12:37 PM
CC 22 million
Tex 18 million
AJ 15 million
Manny 22 Million
Mussina 13 Million

This is dreaming. That would put the payroll over 230 million.

That is also signing the top 4 FA's on the market which doesn't happen....EVER.

b_joseph
10-04-08, 01:44 PM
CC 22 million
Tex 18 million
AJ 15 million
Manny 22 Million
Mussina 13 Million

This is dreaming. That would put the payroll over 230 million.I dont think he means all of them. Thats just a selection of players to choose from.

Inswinger
10-04-08, 06:21 PM
If I were the GM:

C- Posada
1B- Duncan, Miranda (Lefty , Righty platoon)
2B- Cano
SS- Jeter
3B- A-Rod
LF- Damon
CF- Gardner
RF- Nady
DH- Matsui

C- Molina
OF- Melky
IF- Cody Ransom

Rotation:
CC/AJ Burnett
Wang
Joba
Mussina
Hughes

Bullpen:
Rivera
Melancon
Robertson
Bruney
Giese
Marte
Coke

Say bye to:
Giambi
Abreau
Pettite
Betemit
Pavano
Pudge

Dont want:
Sheets
Perez
Lowe
Manny

I know that to most of you this will not make much sense. I would only sign one top pitcher, be it CC or AJ. I would also stay away from signing Tex because we need 1b for others. Keep Gardner in CF and let Melky be the 4th OF. Joba needs to be in the rotation. Melancon seems set for the 8th inning. Edwar and Veras are too inconsitant. There is no need to break the bank on AJ, CC, Tex, and Manny. We already know that we cant buy championships. Let the young and hungry guys like Gardner, Miranda, Duncan, Joba, and Hughes as well as the young pen lead us next year. I have a feeling that Cano will rebound next year. Most of yoou will disagrre with me but this is my honest oppinion.

Sher
12-24-08, 09:26 AM

Let Abreu go

There is no way we will be able to get all three, even two out of three may be a stretch.

CC, AJ, and Tex! Woohoo!