PDA

View Full Version : Who do you want/NOT want on the 2009 Yankees?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

teknetic
06-07-08, 05:43 PM
Do not want:

He's a good player, but I would take the Donkey or Bay and move someone to first. I just do not like him on this team.

Are you allergic to switch hitting first basemen who hit for power, average, and play GG defense?

THEBOSS84
06-07-08, 06:12 PM
Are you allergic to switch hitting first basemen who hit for power, average, and play GG defense?

He's probably allergic to Boras clients who will demand 7 year deals at $20M per.

teknetic
06-07-08, 06:14 PM
He's probably allergic to Boras clients who will demand 7 year deals at $20M per.

Contract issues aside, the way he worded made it seem his on-field performance was what he didn't like. I don't think anyone's giving him 7/20.

ArodMVP217
06-07-08, 06:21 PM
No even King Felix? BJ Upton? Cole Hamels? If they were available that is.

king felix already turned us down once; scr*w him! maybe Justin Upton because he will be younger when/if he is eligible. If you are the phillies, Hamels or Howard?

Cheesyhoboe
06-07-08, 07:03 PM
Great idea, let's put Shelley Duncan at first base and watch hit below the Mendoza line for the entire season. Woohoo, youth injection!

rpbri2886
06-07-08, 08:32 PM
Anyone else starting to rethink not bringing Giambi back next year?

BennyTheJetRodriguez
06-07-08, 08:54 PM
Anyone else starting to rethink not bringing Giambi back next year?
Even though people begrudgingly admit he is playing well now, he will never play well enough for them to want him back. You'll get maybe 5 or 6 people here total to confess bringing Giambi back may be a good idea.

Brick Tamland
06-07-08, 09:05 PM
Even though people begrudgingly admit he is playing well now, he will never play well enough for them to want him back. You'll get maybe 5 or 6 people here total to confess bringing Giambi back may be a good idea.

It's tough to bring him back next season just due to the stigma of him earning $18M+ while posting disappointing season after season (2004, 2007). It's not like he's been an awful player, he's been very good some years. I think it's just time to move on. He will be 38 next season and I believe his best years are behind him. I've seen too many of those signings from the Yankees over the past decade.

rpbri2886
06-07-08, 09:29 PM
If the Yankees are committed to going out and getting a real first baseman (Texiera, etc.), I'm fine with letting Giambi go and having Matsui DH full time. But, if they're not going to make a move that will replace the 30+ HR that he may put up this year, I feel that there may be a gaping hole in the lineup.

BennyTheJetRodriguez
06-07-08, 09:31 PM
It's tough to bring him back next season just due to the stigma of him earning $18M+ while posting disappointing season after season (2004, 2007). It's not like he's been an awful player, he's been very good some years. I think it's just time to move on. He will be 38 next season and I believe his best years are behind him. I've seen too many of those signings from the Yankees over the past decade.
It would be a one year thing though. He's had 2 poor injured years out of his last 7 so he has been good much more often than bad. I'm not saying its a great Idea, but If Teixiera wants a Giambi like 7 year 140 million dollar contract, then it has to be considered.

primetime714
06-08-08, 01:54 AM
There's no reason to bring back Giambi and roll the dice on him staying healthy if we don't have to. I like what he is doing for us right now, but you can't expect him to stay healthy as he continues to get older especially with the problems he has shown the past couple years with injuries.

Plus Giambi would merely be a short term solution to a position we currently have no long term solution to. Let's say Giambi gives us another year at 1B we still don't have anyone coming up to take his place and more than likely there won't be a FA like Teixeira available.

Signing Teixeira AND Sabathia if possible is simply a no brainer IMO. Yes, big long term contracts are risky, but these are two guys in their prime that would fill big holes for this team. Our young guys will help out, but as we've seen this year you can't rely too heavily on prospects you need those proven guys that you know you can rely on. Having those guys take pressure off of the younger guys and helping them grow.

Brick Tamland
06-08-08, 02:55 AM
It would be a one year thing though. He's had 2 poor injured years out of his last 7 so he has been good much more often than bad. I'm not saying its a great Idea, but If Teixiera wants a Giambi like 7 year 140 million dollar contract, then it has to be considered.

I see your point, I certainly don't want to give MT a Giambi-type contract. I don't have another FA or trade in mind to suppliment the lose of both, but I don't want to see MT in pinstripes for $20M+ a season, and I don't want to see Giambi on a one year stint either. If the best of options is Jason for another year or two at a reasonable price, I could live with that. Let's see what Cash does.

ArodMVP217
06-08-08, 08:20 AM
at least we don't have to make a decision as to which big money fa(s) we have to shell out the cash for yet.

Betemit plays moderate D at first and is also a switch hitter... poor man's mark teixeira!?

I saw a few scranton games this yr and i don't think Juan M could be the answer. who is next? cody ehlers? 25yo ed Gonzalez in AA? eric duncan is at least slugging 440, lol.

Hellsing
06-08-08, 10:59 AM

GG....ugh...I hate that gaming term.

Anyway...

- His numbers are down from last year which were slightly off from his previos year. I know it's early in the season, but if this continues, it is worrisome.

- Jason Bay and Adam Dunn can be had for a cheaper contract. I know they are not natural first basemen, but maybe you can tweak things a bit?

- I don't like his face.

- I am a farm system guy. Jeter will eventually need to be moved to a different position, why not first? You can bring up Angelini in 2 years and have DJ as your first base-man for another 4+ years. Jetes should be good enough at SS for another 2 years and you can re-up his contract and make him your 1st baseman.

- That contract will be absurd. The Yankees need to be smart with their money. If you are going to blow money on someone, blow it on a YOUNG proven pitcher LH power pitcher.

Tex is not a guy I would sign. I just see key players with expiring contracts who need to moved to a new position.

Hellsing
06-08-08, 11:05 AM
Anyone else starting to rethink not bringing Giambi back next year? I do not think you can do that. He's been very good for MOST of his contract. However, there is no certainty he will be healthy and he MIGHT not keep this up at the end of the year. If he is a complete beast, maybe you do it. Personally, I would consider it *IF* you plan on ONLY signing CC and moving Jeter to first after next season. That would give the FO time to see if Angelini is the real deal. I can see Angelini, Ajax, Montero, & Gardner (if he doesn't blow) all playing for the Yankees in 2010-2012, with Posada as the DH/C in his final years. I know many people are against it, but you sign CC if you can. LHP that throw 95 MPH do not grow on trees. CC Joba Wang Hughes IPK / Horne / Rasner That's a rotation that can win multiple championships.

teknetic
06-08-08, 11:34 AM
GG....ugh...I hate that gaming term.

Anyway...

Uhh what? GG = Gold Glove

- His numbers are down from last year which were slightly off from his previos year. I know it's early in the season, but if this continues, it is worrisome.

He's always been a second half hitter (.873/.938OPS)

- Jason Bay and Adam Dunn can be had for a cheaper contract. I know they are not natural first basemen, but maybe you can tweak things a bit?

I'd prefer Tex over both. Watching Dunn would give me ulcers.

- I am a farm system guy. Jeter will eventually need to be moved to a different position, why not first? You can bring up Angelini in 2 years and have DJ as your first base-man for another 4+ years. Jetes should be good enough at SS for another 2 years and you can re-up his contract and make him your 1st baseman.

An aging Jeter and a rookie SS would help this offense, how?

- That contract will be absurd. The Yankees need to be smart with their money. If you are going to blow money on someone, blow it on a YOUNG proven pitcher LH power pitcher.

They have enough for both. Tex isn't gonna push them over the edge and I don't think the contract is gonna be that massive.

Yankees13
06-08-08, 12:03 PM
I would spend the money on C.C., and buyout Giambi and re-sign him for 2/20 if he stays healthy the rest of the year and continues to produce at this level. That would make 3 out of 4 years where he was an elite offensive performer and stayed healthy. Tex is overrated IMO, Giambi is a better hitter and I don't feel like splashing out 8/160 (at the least) just for the sake of having a good defensive first baseman.

I know it isn't a popular opinion, but I would do everything possible to sign C.C. He has been consistently healthy and consistently good. You can't underestimate the value of someone who can give you 200 innings and somewhere between a 3.2-4 ERA. We can build our rotation around Joba and C.C. As far as the weight concern, he's still pretty young, even a 7 year contract only puts him at 35. Many fat pitchers pitched well into their mid-30s. Hell, Schilling and Wells did it into their 40s. I guess the counter-example is Colon, but throughout history it seems many hefty pitchers have pitched well very late into their careers, so I'm not convinced there's a correlation between being overweight and and a lack of longevity.

Hellsing
06-08-08, 12:05 PM
Uhh what? GG = Gold Glove

Yah...it also is a gaming term...When I see 'GG' it's the first thing I think of.

I'd prefer Tex over both. Watching Dunn would give me ulcers.

Dunn's numbers compare well to Tex. He's certainly NOT better than Tex, but he will be cheaper.

An aging Jeter and a rookie SS would help this offense, how?

What do you do with Jeter when he becomes too old for SS? Jeter is/was fine as a SS because his D was acceptable, and he hit VERY well for a SS. Look at the Sox. They won with a offensive slug @ short, because it's a Defense first position. Anything Angelini gives you offensively is a plus. I would like to move Jeter to first especially since you have OF talent in the minors. I remember when Jeter was a rookie SS. (Not saying Angelini is Jeter)

They have enough for both. Tex isn't gonna push them over the edge and I don't think the contract is gonna be that massive.

Sure they have enough for both. Doesn't mean having a 200 mil payroll is the right idea. What have they won with this bloated roster of superstars? Nothing. Tex will get a 7 year deal from someone, just not the Yanks.

Sign CC...He's what they need...A power LHP to replace Andy when he leaves after this year.

primetime714
06-08-08, 01:14 PM
Yah...it also is a gaming term...When I see 'GG' it's the first thing I think of.

Dunn's numbers compare well to Tex. He's certainly NOT better than Tex, but he will be cheaper.

What do you do with Jeter when he becomes too old for SS? Jeter is/was fine as a SS because his D was acceptable, and he hit VERY well for a SS. Look at the Sox. They won with a offensive slug @ short, because it's a Defense first position. Anything Angelini gives you offensively is a plus. I would like to move Jeter to first especially since you have OF talent in the minors. I remember when Jeter was a rookie SS. (Not saying Angelini is Jeter)

Sure they have enough for both. Doesn't mean having a 200 mil payroll is the right idea. What have they won with this bloated roster of superstars? Nothing. Tex will get a 7 year deal from someone, just not the Yanks.

Sign CC...He's what they need...A power LHP to replace Andy when he leaves after this year.

Dunn can't play 1B he has tried and he is absolutely miserable at the position. He also sucks in LF (worse than Matsui is now) and with the big Yankee stadium LF he is a DH on this team nothing more.

Jeter has at least a few more years at SS. His defense may not be good there, but the advantage he give us offensively at the position makes him very valuable. Move him to 1B he is an average player offensively at the position maybe below average because he has no power. I think when we do eventually move Jeter it will be to the OF.

As for the Red Sox winning with an offensive slug in Lugo. Lugo is also a pretty bad defender at the position. This year he has been worse than Jeter at the position and historically he is in the bottom of the league in terms of defense at SS.

The Yankees can sign both and still be well below 200M. We have 70-80M coming off the books this offseason. If we sign these two guys to about 20M per we could still cut 30-40M in payroll. Plus who cares what the payroll is? You're chances of winning a championship don't increase with a lower payroll they actually decrease. Our problem is that we haven't spent our money wisely. CC and Teix are in the prime of their career and have shown no signs of decline. These would be two great signings for this team.

ArodMVP217
06-08-08, 06:04 PM
oh mang, teixeira is starting to pick it up, went 3/5 with his tenth hr jack off eaton his line is ~.283/.374/.470. that kind of puts in perspective how drastic giambi has turned it around as his line is a little better, though. maybe with giambi's turnaround, he might decline arbitration for a better contract. that would be hoping for alot

Jumpman_DJ
06-09-08, 09:17 PM
Mark Teixeira has openly come out and said he does not want to play in NY.

27IsNext
06-09-08, 09:24 PM

...? Where did he say this?

BennyTheJetRodriguez
06-09-08, 10:26 PM
Mark Teixeira has openly come out and said he does not want to play in NY.When was this?

primetime714
06-09-08, 11:12 PM
...? Where did he say this?

Imagination land. Boras clients that hold out until they reach FA don't say that they don't want to play in NY.

Jumpman_DJ
06-10-08, 08:40 AM
He said it in an interview about a year ago riugth before he was traded from texas. The question was posed as this, " if you are to be traded is there anywhere you dont want to go?" he paused and was like im kinda a small town type of guy, so i dont like new york or L.a. but if its there then ill go play and do my best.

When he said it i immediately thought he wouldnt sign with us when he became a free agent. I like every other yankee fan had visions of tex in pinstripes, until i heard this.

montrealer
06-10-08, 09:58 AM
Geez Louise people..........not everybody wants to play in Pinstrips:lol: :lol: We need to get over ourselfs....

JohnnyDamonfan
06-10-08, 11:31 AM

Money has a way of changing people's minds. I think that if we waved a good chunk of money and gave him maybe a 6 year contract he'd grin and bare playing for the Yankees. A lot of players have said that they wouldn't play somewhere and then ended up playing at the place they'd never go.

Yankee Fan in Boston
06-10-08, 11:53 AM
Geez Louise people..........not everybody wants to play in Pinstrips:lol: :lol: We need to get over ourselfs....

I completely agree, but I also remember how they convinced Moose that it could be a different life than he thought it would be. If they decide they want him, I imagine they'll try hard to woo him.

JL25and3
06-10-08, 02:26 PM
Mark Teixeira has openly come out and said he does not want to play in NY.IIRC, Johnny Damon said exactly the same thing.

JohnnyDamonfan
06-10-08, 04:50 PM
IIRC, Johnny Damon said exactly the same thing.

I don't think he ever said that per sey. He said something along the lines of "If Boston doesn't sign me back I'm retiring" I don't think he ever said he wouldn't go to New York specifically.

rpbri2886
06-10-08, 04:54 PM
I don't think he ever said that per sey. He said something along the lines of "If Boston doesn't sign me back I'm retiring" I don't think he ever said he wouldn't go to New York specifically.

I went looking for the quote and couldn't find it, but I believe in the summer of 2005 he said something along the lines of "New York is not an option for me, Boston is my home" or some nonsense like that.

JohnnyDamonfan
06-10-08, 04:59 PM
I went looking for the quote and couldn't find it, but I believe in the summer of 2005 he said something along the lines of "New York is not an option for me, Boston is my home" or some nonsense like that.

Oh he may have said that too. I just don't remember him saying that. Oh, you know what here's why I don't remember him saying that I'm thinking about what he said around November 2005. You know when he was all ready a free agent. I remember reading him saying something like "If Boston doesn't sign me back I'm retiring" Or something along those lines.

rpbri2886
06-10-08, 05:03 PM
Oh he may have said that too. I just don't remember him saying that. Oh, you know what here's why I don't remember him saying that I'm thinking about what he said around November 2005. You know when he was all ready a free agent. I remember reading him saying something like "If Boston doesn't sign me back I'm retiring" Or something along those lines.

Ah, yes. I recall that as well.

JD signing with the Yankees was so sweet here in Boston. It was like a piece of each fan died when he signed with us.

justtxyank
06-10-08, 05:04 PM
"There's no way I can play for the Yankees, but I know they're going to come after me hard. It's definitely not the most important thing to go out there for the top dollar, which the Yankees are going to offer me. It's not what I need."- Johnny Damon, May 1, 2005

http://flashwarner.com/2007/02/johnny_damon_tells_lies_remains_stupid.html

GotMelk?
06-11-08, 02:25 AM
Is Lidge really a FA?? If so, I'd prefer him over KRod, KRod's delivery is way too violent, applying way too much torque on the hips. His velocity has gone down and his numbers as well. I don't see him being any effective beyond 30 (plus he's def not gonna want to set up.) Look for him to fade into oblivion in no time.

GotMelk?
06-11-08, 02:26 AM

See Johnny Damon, circa 2005. (money talks bro..)

BennyTheJetRodriguez
06-11-08, 02:33 AM
Is Lidge really a FA?? If so, I'd prefer him over KRod, KRod's delivery is way too violent, applying way too much torque on the hips. His velocity has gone down and his numbers as well. I don't see him being any effective beyond 30 (plus he's def not gonna want to set up.) Look for him to fade into oblivion in no time.
I thought Raphael Soriano was a Free Agent, but now it seems he's not. Of the 3 he would be the one I want.

primetime714
06-11-08, 09:28 AM
I thought Raphael Soriano was a Free Agent, but now it seems he's not. Of the 3 he would be the one I want.

Nope, he would've been a great signing if he was a FA and I think we could've convinced him to setup Mo. Lidge and KRod are closers and aren't likely to sign with the Yankees and setup Mo especially KRod.

I'd like to see Marte or Fuentes signed. Getting a lefty in this bullpen would be key. Next year we should have more minor league bullpen options to choose from. Melancon, Cox, and Robertson will all be ready. Starters like McCutchen, Horne, and Garcia could be converted if there is a greater need for them in the bullpen. Sanchez should be fully recovered. Then the guys that are already up in the majors: Edwar, Veras, Ohlendorf, etc. will have a full year of ML experience under their belts. We could also bring back Bruney who looked great before the injury.

Jumpman_DJ
06-17-08, 10:28 PM
IIRC, Johnny Damon said exactly the same thing.

I think that was Schilling who came out and said ill never play for the yankees.

Prison Mike
06-17-08, 11:20 PM
I'd like Tim Lincecum on our team next year.

YanksFan1992
06-18-08, 12:02 AM
I'd like Tim Lincecum on our team next year.

Honestly, there are very few players if any I would rather have right now (Joba is the only one that comes to mind, and that is definitely blurred by the fact that he is one of my favorite players).

continentalg5
06-18-08, 12:06 AM
I want to see Ichiro on the Yanks, but I know that will probably never come true.

DON'T KNOCK THE ROCK
06-18-08, 12:13 AM
Well, now that Willie Randolph has been fired, when it should have been Omar Minaya, perhaps Omar might be willing to trade with the Yankees to get some young pitching. And I wouldn't mind if Cashman were to trade Melky Cabrera and some of our pitchers in the minor leagues for Carlos Beltran. He's the player I would most like to see on the Yankees.

yankeeman61
06-18-08, 03:38 PM
Well, now that Willie Randolph has been fired, when it should have been Omar Minaya, perhaps Omar might be willing to trade with the Yankees to get some young pitching. And I wouldn't mind if Cashman were to trade Melky Cabrera and some of our pitchers in the minor leagues for Carlos Beltran. He's the player I would most like to see on the Yankees.

I don't think they will be going into firesale mode. Minaya fired Willie to keep the heat off himself. A GM gets to do that one time for his own protection and why would the Yankees want to stock the Mets with pitching prospects? Who would you give up? The Beltran ship sailed when the Yankees went for Randy Johnson, unfortunately.

continentalg5
06-19-08, 10:15 PM
What do you all think of Ben Sheets when he's a free agent during the winter?

27IsNext
06-19-08, 10:16 PM
What do you all think of Ben Sheets when he's a free agent during the winter?

Would love to get him. Because of the injury concerns he shouldn't cost too much in terms of dollars or years. He has three good pitches and good control. I want both him and Sabathia next season.

yank4life2005
06-20-08, 07:30 AM
Don't want to see Jason Giambi on this club next year.

sweet_lou_14
06-20-08, 09:01 AM
Don't want to see Jason Giambi on this club next year.

I can understand having specific financial parameters outside of which you wouldn't bring him back, but I have no idea how you could justify a blanket statement like this. The guy is raking, there is nobody he'd be blocking in the minor leagues ... and if you're interested in Teixeira, you should be concerned about the contract he'll be looking for on the same principle that apparently has you down on Giambi.

Tehasguard
06-20-08, 09:51 AM
I changed my mind on the CC/Tex question ...

get them both :D

anyway,

2009 needs we can realistically get:

1 good lefty reliever (Marte, ...)
1 extra closer (Lidge, Fuentes type)

maybe sign Ben Sheets

and more places filled by AAA players

Hellsing
06-20-08, 12:03 PM
Would love to get him. Because of the injury concerns he shouldn't cost too much in terms of dollars or years. He has three good pitches and good control. I want both him and Sabathia next season.

No to Texiera.
No to Sheets.
YES to Sabathia.

I respect your opinion, but I do not like either guy on the Yankees.

(OH...and YES to 1 more year of the stache' PROVIDED he keeps it up)

webassign
06-20-08, 01:15 PM
As long as Giambi keeps producing, I would like to see him back with the team next year, one year contracts at a time. :o

NyQuil
06-20-08, 01:16 PM
A-Rod. ;)

Brick Tamland
06-20-08, 01:24 PM
As long as Giambi keeps producing, I would like to see him back with the team next year, one year contracts at a time. :o

How much do you offer Jason? I'm sure if he keeps up his torid pace he will be able to net a nice 1-2 yr contract elsewhere. I agree though, no more than a 1 yr deal and short money too.

27IsNext
06-20-08, 01:36 PM
No to Texiera.
No to Sheets.
YES to Sabathia.

I respect your opinion, but I do not like either guy on the Yankees.

(OH...and YES to 1 more year of the stache' PROVIDED he keeps it up)

What's your reasoning on Sheets?

teknetic
06-20-08, 01:39 PM
I don't see why we couldn't work out an incentive laden deal with Sheets. I'd be all over that, guys with his control and stuff will translate into either league.

27IsNext
06-20-08, 01:41 PM
I don't see why we couldn't work out an incentive laden deal with Sheets. I'd be all over that, guys with his control and stuff will translate into either league.

I agree. If we had a top three of Sabathia, Sheets and Wang, there would be far less pressure on Chamberlain and Hughes/Kennedy to be important cogs in the rotation, which I think would help their development.

THEBOSS84
06-20-08, 01:41 PM

Why would he sign an incentive laden deal with the Yanks if other teams may be willing to give him more guaranteed $?

If Silva got 4 yrs $44....

Hellsing
06-20-08, 01:47 PM
What's your reasoning on Sheets?

Let me say that Sheet is an awesome pitcher. Underrated.

My concern with him is the same concern I have with Harden.
Staying healthy. He logged a lot of innings early in his career and this seems to have a lasting effect on MANY pitchers. He has also pitched in the NL so his K rates are a little inflated, but his stuff is so good that it would translate.

He's also Right-Handed. While he is a good pitcher, the Yankees need a LHP OTHER than Andy. This is why I say sign CC. They COULD sign both, but I would like the Yankees to reduce payroll below 150 million. (I know there is money coming off the books, but a $200 million dollar payroll is absurd)

(Joba reminds me of Sheets)

If I had to choose between Sheets and Harden, eh...uhm...IDK.

Though if you told me the 2009 rotation would be...

CC
Sheets
Joba
Wang
Hughes

...yah...that would be AMAZING to watch...

27IsNext
06-20-08, 01:54 PM
Let me say that Sheet is an awesome pitcher. Underrated.

My concern with him is the same concern I have with Harden.
Staying healthy. He logged a lot of innings early in his career and this seems to have a lasting effect on MANY pitchers. He has also pitched in the NL so his K rates are a little inflated, but his stuff is so good that it would translate.

He's also Right-Handed. While he is a good pitcher, the Yankees need a LHP OTHER than Andy. This is why I say sign CC. They COULD sign both, but I would like the Yankees to reduce payroll below 150 million. (I know there is money coming off the books, but a $200 million dollar payroll is absurd)

(Joba reminds me of Sheets)

If I had to choose between Sheets and Harden, eh...uhm...IDK.

Though if you told me the 2009 rotation would be...

CC
Sheets
Joba
Wang
Hughes

...yah...that would be AMAZING to watch...

I'm with you on the payroll, but due to the lack of positional talent in the minor leagues (most of it is in A ball or lower) I'm not sure that's realistic just yet. I'm more concerned with having a good top three in the rotation so there isn't too much pressure on the younger guys, because I think that pressure had an adverse effect on Hughes and Kennedy this season.

As far as Sheet's health, I'd take a chance, because in the event he does go down, we DO have depth in AAA.

Hellsing
06-20-08, 02:02 PM
I'm with you on the payroll, but due to the lack of positional talent in the minor leagues (most of it is in A ball or lower) I'm not sure that's realistic just yet. I'm more concerned with having a good top three in the rotation so there isn't too much pressure on the younger guys, because I think that pressure had an adverse effect on Hughes and Kennedy this season.

As far as Sheet's health, I'd take a chance, because in the event he does go down, we DO have depth in AAA.

What if Rasner continues to pitch to a 3.8-4.25 ERA? A guy that cheap with that kind of ERA has tremendous value. I agree with you regarding the pressure on Hughes and Kennedy. Hughes probably worked SO hard in the off-season to be his very best and over-worked himself. (Joba seems to be highly resistant to pressure)

27IsNext
06-20-08, 02:20 PM
What if Rasner continues to pitch to a 3.8-4.25 ERA? A guy that cheap with that kind of ERA has tremendous value. I agree with you regarding the pressure on Hughes and Kennedy. Hughes probably worked SO hard in the off-season to be his very best and over-worked himself. (Joba seems to be highly resistant to pressure)

I don't have faith Rasner can continue to pitch to those numbers, but I'm glad we're riding him out as long as possible.

continentalg5
06-20-08, 02:23 PM
I can haz Bedard plz? :)

primetime714
06-20-08, 03:01 PM
Get Sabathia and Teixeira. Passing on either is a decision we would regret as young FA's that are as good as these guys are rarely are available.

I like what Giambi is doing for us, but he is a short-term solution to a position we have no long term solution at. I think we'd regret passing up on Teixeira much like we regret passing up on the likes of Vlad and Beltran.

If we sign both with all the money we have coming off the books (~75M) we could still reduce payroll. Plus why does everyone care so much about the payroll? Yea, its more rewarding to win with a smaller payroll, but if it gives us a better chance to win I'm ok with the team spending a lot of money, so long as they stop wasting money on guys like Igawa, Pavano, etc. Signing young stars like Sabathia and Teixeira to a lot of money is a good investment.

As for Sheets I'd stay away. The injury risk is too big and he should make a decent amount in FA since he has been healthy all year (thus far at least). This reminds me a lot of when Burnett signed with the Jays. He had an injury history, but was healthy in his walk-year so he got a nice multi-year deal through which he was often injured.

Dustin563
06-20-08, 04:20 PM
Get Sabathia and Teixeira. Passing on either is a decision we would regret as young FA's that are as good as these guys are rarely are available.

I like what Giambi is doing for us, but he is a short-term solution to a position we have no long term solution at. I think we'd regret passing up on Teixeira much like we regret passing up on the likes of Vlad and Beltran.

If we sign both with all the money we have coming off the books (~75M) we could still reduce payroll. Plus why does everyone care so much about the payroll? Yea, its more rewarding to win with a smaller payroll, but if it gives us a better chance to win I'm ok with the team spending a lot of money, so long as they stop wasting money on guys like Igawa, Pavano, etc. Signing young stars like Sabathia and Teixeira to a lot of money is a good investment.

As for Sheets I'd stay away. The injury risk is too big and he should make a decent amount in FA since he has been healthy all year (thus far at least). This reminds me a lot of when Burnett signed with the Jays. He had an injury history, but was healthy in his walk-year so he got a nice multi-year deal through which he was often injured.

I definitely don't regret not signing Beltran. Teixeira might be the most sure thing signing available. CC definitely has some negatives. I'm personally upset the Yankees never traded for Dan Haren. I know Beane wanted everything for him and I'm not suggesting that we should have pulled the string last winter. he has guts and he can pitch.

BxBomber44
06-20-08, 04:22 PM
giambi is essential. his eye alone stretches our our lineup.

Dustin563
06-20-08, 04:29 PM
giambi is essential. his eye alone stretches our our lineup.

I'm a big fan of Giambino, but Teixeira adds a better glove, is a switch hitter, and is younger.

However, we know that Mr. Jeter can't play SS forever. If we sign Teixeira, where is Derek going to go? (Please don't say that he will switch with A-rod!) I doubt Jeter will play outfield. He may go back on balls well, but no one switches to outfield that late in their career.

primetime714
06-20-08, 04:35 PM
I definitely don't regret not signing Beltran. Teixeira might be the most sure thing signing available. CC definitely has some negatives. I'm personally upset the Yankees never traded for Dan Haren. I know Beane wanted everything for him and I'm not suggesting that we should have pulled the string last winter. he has guts and he can pitch.

Really you don't regret not signing Beltran? He started out this year poorly but over the past couple years is right up there with Sizemore as the best offensive CF in the game. He's also very good defensively.

CC IMO has one negative: his weight. Well maybe two if you look at his playoff performances last year (altho I don't think that will continue). Simply put you don't see pitches this good and this young ever hit FA. If the Indians weren't looking to win this year he wouldn't have either, he would've been traded and signed to an extension before the season. Luckily though he is holding out for FA and I feel we should definitely sign him.

Dan Haren would've cost too much. Beane would've demanded Hughes and if we were going to trade Hughes it would've been for Santana only. I do agree he's a good pitcher though.

Dustin563
06-20-08, 06:16 PM
Really you don't regret not signing Beltran? He started out this year poorly but over the past couple years is right up there with Sizemore as the best offensive CF in the game. He's also very good defensively.

CC IMO has one negative: his weight. Well maybe two if you look at his playoff performances last year (altho I don't think that will continue). Simply put you don't see pitches this good and this young ever hit FA. If the Indians weren't looking to win this year he wouldn't have either, he would've been traded and signed to an extension before the season. Luckily though he is holding out for FA and I feel we should definitely sign him.

Dan Haren would've cost too much. Beane would've demanded Hughes and if we were going to trade Hughes it would've been for Santana only. I do agree he's a good pitcher though.

I think Beltran is a good player, but I've also seen him play like a deer in headlights. Maybe he would have been a good player for the Yanks because he wouldn't be the focal point. Still, I'm going by what I've seen from him as a Met and I'm not impressed.

CC is definitely good, young, and lefty. That's a great combination. However, I'm hesitant to give him a long term deal, which I am sure he will demand. Johan essentially signed a 7 year deal. Are you prepared to give CC a deal of that length? He'll be 28 in July.

I agree on your Haren comment. I feel that our staff needs a workhorse and I felt Haren fit that mold...similar to someone like Halladay or even Beckett to some degree. I'm not convinced a lefty can fill this role, not even CC.

TheGameEpisode2
06-20-08, 06:20 PM
I'm in the camp of signing C.C. and Tex, though I'd like to sign Tex more than C.C.

I understand that you need pitching in the playoffs, but you also need consistent hitting and good to great defense. Tex can help you everyday, and would provide great to AWESOME protection for A-Rod for the next couple of years.

SoCal Pinstriper
06-20-08, 10:43 PM
Tex can help you everyday, and would provide great to AWESOME protection for A-Rod for the next couple of years. I would agree if it was really for the next couple of years (or even four or five), but Boris has his sights set on seven or eight, and I'm not buying it.

dont_ya_know24
06-21-08, 12:13 AM
i really would love tex on the yankees, but i just keep getting the feeling he would sign with the orioles or mets over us.

well the yanks will have even deeper pockets this offseason, so they might as throw a bunch of money at CC/tex. we all know money can make a person do anything....

teknetic
06-21-08, 01:49 AM
Why would he sign an incentive laden deal with the Yanks if other teams may be willing to give him more guaranteed $?

If Silva got 4 yrs $44....

Silva was a garbage contract. I'm sure he'd get more elsewhere, but it'd be a huge gamble. Whatever it is, I want him :)

DJ27
06-21-08, 09:01 PM
I'm a big fan of Giambino, but Teixeira adds a better glove, is a switch hitter, and is younger.

However, we know that Mr. Jeter can't play SS forever. If we sign Teixeira, where is Derek going to go? (Please don't say that he will switch with A-rod!) I doubt Jeter will play outfield. He may go back on balls well, but no one switches to outfield that late in their career.

When did Robin Yount switch?? Or did he go from the OF to the IF later in his career??? Just curious.

Pinstripe Pride23
06-21-08, 09:08 PM
When did Robin Yount switch?? Or did he go from the OF to the IF later in his career??? Just curious.

I believe Yount moved to the OF in 1985. This would have been is 11th year in the pros (age 29).

DJ27
06-21-08, 09:19 PM
I believe Yount moved to the OF in 1985. This would have been is 11th year in the pros (age 29).

Wow, 11th year at age 29! You would think Jeter could man LF (ala Damon with a better arm) in a couple years??

yankeeman61
08-04-08, 11:14 AM
Does anyone still prefer to sign Giambi for next year over Tex?

Now that Nady is in the fold it does give the Yanks some flexibility they didn't have. I think I would still make an offer to Abreu. Who knows what Matsui will be able to contribute next year and the Yankees will need all the offense they can get.

The most interesting thing now is what to do at the catcher position. I don't know what Pudge is looking for, but with Posada's health status I would think the Yankees would want to sign him. I can see Posada playing some 1B and DH-ing (mostly) until he can catch (if he can catch).

I think most were dispatching Mussina without a second thought prior to his reinvention this year, but he has adjusted quite well so I would have to believe the Yankees will strongly consider him again. I really don't even want to hear about Hughes and Kennedy until they show consistency at the ML level. I would think Andy coming back is a strong possibility. He seems to have plenty left in the tank and with that new stadium opening, I'm sure he'd like to give it at least one more year.

Then we have the CF issue. I've been holding out hope that Melky would get it going offensively, but it hasn't happened. If they can move him for something decent in return, then maybe it's time to do something. If not, he would be a great defender coming off the bench. Maybe Damon and Nady can split CF duties until Ajax is ready (hopefully) by mid-season.

Some very tough decisions to make this off season.

YankeeStripes
08-04-08, 11:16 AM
Want:
CC Sabathia
Mark Texiera
Hideki Matsui

Do Not Want:
Kei Igawa
Jason Giambi
Melky Cabrera
Darryl Rasner

webassign
08-04-08, 11:22 AM
Want:
CC Sabathia
Mark Texiera
Hideki Matsui

Do Not Want:
Kei Igawa
Jason Giambi
Melky Cabrera
Darryl Rasner
Looks good so far.

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-04-08, 12:30 PM
Want:
CC Sabathia
Sheets
Mark Texiera
Manny Ramirez

Do Not Want:
Jason Giambi
Hideki Matsui
Melky Cabrera
Abreu
Mussina
Damon

ppa79
08-04-08, 12:31 PM
Want:
CC Sabathia
Sheets
Mark Texiera
Manny Ramirez

Do Not Want:
Jason Giambi
Hideki Matsui
Melky Cabrera
Abreu
Mussina
Damon

You forgot to include Igawa.

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-04-08, 12:33 PM
You forgot to include Igawa.

Yeah, I thought that was assumed.

Mr.Muhozi
08-04-08, 12:34 PM
Rotation

CC
Hughes
Joba
Ike
moose/Andy

Lineup
1.damon-lf
2.jeter-ss
3.cano-2b
4.A-rod-3b
5.nady-rf
6.posada/tex-1b
7.matsui-dh
8.pudge/molina-c
9.melky/Ajax-cf

genius-24
08-04-08, 12:51 PM
SP: Sign CC and Sheets. Let Moose and Andy walk. So our Rotation should be CC, Sheets, Wang, Joba, Hughes.
BP: Extend Marte. Get Joe Beimal.
Offense: Sign Milton Bradley to play CF. Sign Adam Dunn to play 1B. Trade Matsui. Let Abreau walk.

Possible other trades: Acquiring a high potential future catcher.

genius-24
08-04-08, 12:52 PM
Want:
CC Sabathia
Sheets
Mark Texiera
Manny Ramirez

Do Not Want:
Jason Giambi
Hideki Matsui
Melky Cabrera
Abreu
Mussina
Damon
who is playing CF? who will lead off?

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-04-08, 12:54 PM
who is playing CF? who will lead off?

I actually like the idea of Bradley, but hopefully they will call A-Jax up and see what he can do in September.

I'd have Jeter lead off.

EDIT: Now that I think about this, I'd probably prefer signing Andy for another year than giving Sheets a 4+ year contract.

Brick Tamland
08-04-08, 12:59 PM
Rotation

CC
Hughes
Joba
Ike
moose/Andy

Lineup
1.damon-lf
2.jeter-ss
3.cano-2b
4.A-rod-3b
5.nady-rf
6.posada/tex-1b
7.matsui-dh
8.pudge/molina-c
9.melky/Ajax-cf

No CMW?

Brick Tamland
08-04-08, 01:04 PM
Ideally:

SP:
Sabathia
Wang
Pettitte (1 yr extension)
Moose (1 yr extension)
Joba

Damon
Jeter
Teixiera
ARod
Abreu (1 yr extension)
Nady
Cano
Jorge
Melky

Marte
Veras
Ramirez
Bruney
Melancon
Mo

VFBundy
08-04-08, 01:05 PM
Ugh...just found out that both Pudge and Nady have Scott Boras as an agent. I wonder what kind of contracts they'll both be seeking, should the Yankees have interest in signing them?

wang+cano=future
08-04-08, 01:06 PM
I think Cash will do his best to sign CC and Tex in the off-season. Pettitte will most likely be back as well. Moose, Giambi, Abreu, Pudge, Pavano, Sexson will all be allowed to walk and Cash will take the picks.

I see the rotation next season being:

1. CC
2. Joba
3. Wang
4. Hughes
5. Pettitte

If CC signs with a west-coast team (which he is rumored to prefer) then Kennedy will most likely slot into the rotation.

I think they line-up will look like:

1. Damon LF
2. Jeter SS
3. Texiera 1B
4. ARod 3B
5. Matsui DH
6. Posada C
7. Cano 2B
8. Nady RF
9. Melky CF

I think Melky could be replaced mid-season by AJax. And if they can't sign Texiera then they may look into either bringing Giambi back on the cheap or re-sign Pudge and have Posada play 1B.

In terms of bullpen I think it will look like:

1. Mo
2. Veras
3. Marte
4. Robertson
5. Edwar
6. Melancon
7. Long Relief - Giese, Rasner or maybe Kennedy

And then the bench will fill out with:

1. Molina
2. Christian/Gardner
3. Betemit (ugh)
4. INF/OF

But in the meantime Lets Go 2008 Yankees!!!!!!!!!

webassign
08-04-08, 01:06 PM
Matsui isn't going anywhere next year, so let's not be delusional and think that he's gonna get traded somehow.

genius-24
08-04-08, 01:07 PM
EDIT: Now that I think about this, I'd probably prefer signing Andy for another year than giving Sheets a 4+ year contract

idk, but i don't like our chances of getting Lackey in '10.

Nome
08-04-08, 01:08 PM
If it wasn't for Abreu and Matsui I dont even think we would be above .500 this year

Or Mussina. Am I the only one here who wants Moose back???

Andy

YanksForLife
08-04-08, 01:09 PM
Ugh...just found out that both Pudge and Nady have Scott Boras as an agent. I wonder what kind of contracts they'll both be seeking, should the Yankees have interest in signing them?

If I'm not mistaken, Nady is under contract through 2009.

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-04-08, 01:15 PM
idk, but i don't like our chances of getting Lackey in '10.

Why??

Art Vanderlay
Does anyone still prefer to sign Giambi for next year over Tex?

Now that Nady is in the fold it does give the Yanks some flexibility they didn't have. I think I would still make an offer to Abreu. Who knows what Matsui will be able to contribute next year and the Yankees will need all the offense they can get.

The most interesting thing now is what to do at the catcher position. I don't know what Pudge is looking for, but with Posada's health status I would think the Yankees would want to sign him. I can see Posada playing some 1B and DH-ing (mostly) until he can catch (if he can catch).

I think most were dispatching Mussina without a second thought prior to his reinvention this year, but he has adjusted quite well so I would have to believe the Yankees will strongly consider him again. I really don't even want to hear about Hughes and Kennedy until they show consistency at the ML level. I would think Andy coming back is a strong possibility. He seems to have plenty left in the tank and with that new stadium opening, I'm sure he'd like to give it at least one more year.

Then we have the CF issue. I've been holding out hope that Melky would get it going offensively, but it hasn't happened. If they can move him for something decent in return, then maybe it's time to do something. If not, he would be a great defender coming off the bench. Maybe Damon and Nady can split CF duties until Ajax is ready (hopefully) by mid-season.

Some very tough decisions to make this off season.

I would not bring Giambi back under any circumstances. Time to turn the page.

I would offer Abreu a one year deal, if he wants more take the draft picks.

I would sign Texiera and play him at first with Nady in right field (if abreu doesn't come back).

I think we are stuck with Melky until AJ is ready.

I want Pettete and/or Mussina back on a one year deals.

wang+cano=future
If I'm not mistaken, Nady is under contract through 2009.

Yeah Nady is going into his last year of being arbitration eligible I think.

Xavier Nady of
1 year/$3.35M (2008)

acquired in trade from Pittsburgh 7/25/08

re-signed 1/18/08 (avoided arbitration)
performance bonuses: $25,000 for 475 PAs, $50,000 for 500 PAs, $55,000 each for 550, 575 PAs, $65,000 for 600 PAs

1 year/$2.15M (2007), re-signed 1/07 (avoided arbitration)

1 year/$0.427M (2006), signed 3/06

1 year/$0.488M (2005)

5 years/$2.85M (2000-04)
$1.1M bonus ($0.1M up front)
$1.75M in salary, paid 2001-2004
bonuses based on days on 25-man roster, 2002-04
earned $0.275M incentive for more than 60 days on roster in 04
drafted 2000 (2-49), signed 9/00
agent: Scott Boras
ML service: 4.059
http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/new-york-yankees_111398168678860040.html

wang+cano=future
08-04-08, 01:17 PM
I would not bring Giambi back under any circumstances. Time to turn the page.

I would offer Abreu a one year deal, if he wants more take the draft picks.

I would sign Texiera and play him at first with Nady in right field (if abreu doesn't come back).

I think we are stuck with Melky until AJ is ready.

I want Pettete and/or Mussina back on a one year deals.

I agree on all those points except that we should bring Pettitte back and try to collect some picks for Moose.

Brick Tamland
08-04-08, 01:19 PM

Andy

Not at all. There is a fair amount of support for Moose coming back next season. I don't know if I'd give him a 2 yr deal but if I were Cashman I'd make him a very aggressive 1 yr offer.

MTYankee23
08-04-08, 01:19 PM
I actually get the feeling that Mussina and Pettitte would prefer to pitch here than anywhere else. The Yankees have the luxury of offering both arbitration, and then going after CC and Sheets. Personally, I'd rather have the latter 2, going on the age old theory that you'd rather give up on a player a year early than a year late.

Have your rotation in '09 be Joba, CC, Sheets, Wang, and Hughes. I'd also go hard after Teixeira, and offer arbitration and nothing more to Giambi and Abreu. It's a tremendous outlay of money for the '09 offseason, but a tremendous amount is coming off the books, and premium FAs rarely make it to FA anymore without the help of Scott Boras.

Brick Tamland
08-04-08, 01:22 PM
The big question is: will Cashman sign Manny? God I hope not.

wang+cano=future
08-04-08, 01:25 PM
I actually get the feeling that Mussina and Pettitte would prefer to pitch here than anywhere else. The Yankees have the luxury of offering both arbitration, and then going after CC and Sheets. Personally, I'd rather have the latter 2, going on the age old theory that you'd rather give up on a player a year early than a year late.

Have your rotation in '09 be Joba, CC, Sheets, Wang, and Hughes. I'd also go hard after Teixeira, and offer arbitration and nothing more to Giambi and Abreu. It's a tremendous outlay of money for the '09 offseason, but a tremendous amount is coming off the books, and premium FAs rarely make it to FA anymore without the help of Scott Boras.

Giving Sheets a big contract scares me considering his injury history. I would rather bring Pettitte back on another 1 year deal honestly, especially with more pitching in the minors coming up.

webassign
08-04-08, 01:27 PM

Andy
No, I'd like to see him get the same type of deal as with Pettitte (maybe not as much money though). Looking back on his Yankee career, Moose has been one of our best signings in recent years. At the very least, I think he should be signed for next year with a team option for 2010. I would love to see him chase 300 wins as a Yankee.

MTYankee23
08-04-08, 01:27 PM
Giving Sheets a big contract scares me considering his injury history. I would rather bring Pettitte back honestly.

If his history was entirely elbow and shoulder problems I would agree. Personally, I think their course of action should be to let him pitch well for the first two years of the contract, and then eat a little salary and trade him for something good when guys like Brackman, Cole, and Betances are ready.

webassign
08-04-08, 01:29 PM
If his history was entirely elbow and shoulder problems I would agree. Personally, I think their course of action should be to let him pitch well for the first two years of the contract, and then eat a little salary and trade him for something good when guys like Brackman, Cole, and Betances are ready.
Who's to say that he won't have a Pavano-like Yankee career? You couldn't give him away if that kind of situation happened again.

wang+cano=future
08-04-08, 01:30 PM

If he could stay healthy than I would agree with that plan of action. The prospect of another Pavano makes me scared though.

MTYankee23
08-04-08, 01:37 PM
There isn't anything similar to Ben Sheets and Carl Pavano. Sheets has been a stud when healthy, posting an ERA+ of no worse than 117 in 5 straight seasons, and making at least 22 starts in 4 of those. He also has terrific peripherals.

Pavano (before he signed with us), was your basic middling NL pitcher with suspect peripherals.

Art Vanderlay
08-04-08, 01:53 PM
Giving Sheets a big contract scares me considering his injury history. I would rather bring Pettitte back on another 1 year deal honestly, especially with more pitching in the minors coming up.

Agree 100%. If we go into next season with Joba, Wang, CC, and Pettete as the front 4, I will be very happy.

teknetic
08-04-08, 01:55 PM
I'm not so sure Moose would settle for a one year deal after his performance this year. I don't think Cashman is gonna do more than one year, so it leaves a team such as the Phillies a favorite to sign him.

Want:

CC
Tex
Marte (I'd rather have him than the picks)
Mench

http://theducks.org/pictures/do-not-want-dog.jpg:

Giambi
Melky
Igawa

MTYankee23
08-04-08, 02:00 PM
Agree 100%. If we go into next season with Joba, Wang, CC, and Pettete as the front 4, I will be very happy.

Pettitte is a tremendous option to have if the Sheets market goes beyond ridiculous.

THEBOSS84
08-04-08, 02:03 PM
I only have one request: CC

Everything else would be gravy. Especially if Cano learns how to put a full season together in 2009.

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-04-08, 02:03 PM
The big question is: will Cashman sign Manny? God I hope not.

God forbid we have one of the best right hand bats in the game.

THEBOSS84
08-04-08, 02:05 PM
God forbid we have one of the best right hand bats in the game.

Yeah because that's the only factor in signing Manny...

He'll want a minimum of 4 years. There is a lot wrong with that.

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-04-08, 02:09 PM
Yeah because that's the only factor in signing Manny...

He'll want a minimum of 4 years. There is a lot wrong with that.

I'd sign him to 4 years.

Ynkcpt23
08-04-08, 02:10 PM

I like your idea a lot. I'm still under the impression that our ability to get CC is only even 50/50 if we blow him away with $$. I think he's heading back to the West Coast. I would definitely go after Sheets, but I don't have strong feelings about him--I like him the exact same way I like Harden. Incredible stuff, but the downside (injury) is really scary. So if you go with my assumption re: CC, and sign Moose and Pettitte to 1 year deals (I don't think Andy wants anything longer and I think Moose would be happy with that assuming the $ is right) we have, in 2009:

Sheets (?)
CMW
Joba
Pettitte
Hughes
Moose
IPK

That's a lot of starting pitching. I guess IPK becomes long relief with Giese and we work the rotation to guard against injury and another insertion of Ponson??? It makes the head spin, and it gives us crucial back-ups for Ian and Phil, who still will be on MLB innings leashes.

THEBOSS84
08-04-08, 02:11 PM
I'd sign him to 4 years.

He'll be 37 in May. If I recall correctly, you were against the fact that we'll have A-rod until he's 41-42.

simmy886
08-04-08, 02:11 PM
I do not want Posada DHing/1Bing. I'd rather wait as long as it takes until he can throw decently enough to catch. If he is never able to catch again... that really sucks.

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-04-08, 02:12 PM
I like your idea a lot. I'm still under the impression that our ability to get CC is only even 50/50 if we blow him away with $$. I think he's heading back to the West Coast.

What do you mean back to the West Coast? When has CC pitched on a West Coast team?

THEBOSS84
08-04-08, 02:12 PM
The chances of the Yankees signing CC, Sheets and Tex are probably set around 1%. CC and Tex - 15%

I have a formula I've created to help figure out the odds

THEBOSS84
08-04-08, 02:13 PM
What do you mean back to the West Coast? When has CC pitched on a West Coast team?
Ages 1 through 18

HughesIsNasty
08-04-08, 02:14 PM
He played baseball at 1?! hah

THEBOSS84
08-04-08, 02:15 PM
He played baseball at 1?! hah

The talented ones start early.

Ynkcpt23

I meant where he's from/lives in the off-season, not where he's pitched. I'm fully aware that there aren't many earthquakes in Ohio.

JavyVazquezIsSick
Ages 1 through 18

Oh

What West Coast team would want him? Dodgers or Angels?

THEBOSS84
08-04-08, 02:16 PM
Oh

What West Coast team would want him? Dodgers or Angels?

The LAD have Lowe and Penny coming off the books...

Ynkcpt23
08-04-08, 02:16 PM
The talented ones start early.

:lol:

I have to ask--why 15% on Tex and CC? This formula should be good!! :D

wang+cano=future
08-04-08, 02:18 PM

I think CC grew up in Cali.

THEBOSS84
08-04-08, 02:18 PM
:lol:

I have to ask--why 15% on Tex and CC? This formula should be good!! :D

Haha

The formula is bogus. There are just too many around here that think that we are going to be the only team in the bidding. I in no way see the Yankees signing a record contract to a pitcher as well as a non-A-rod position player in the same offseason. Both players to 7+ seasons.

MTYankee23
08-04-08, 02:22 PM
Haha

The formula is bogus. There are just too many around here that think that we are going to be the only team in the bidding. I in no way see the Yankees signing a record contract to a pitcher as well as a non-A-rod position player in the same offseason. Both players to 7+ seasons.

I have no problem with the Yankees signing specific guys to record contracts. As I've said all along my issues have been getting involved in the bidding for middle relievers, mid-backend starters, corner OFs in their 30's, etc.

They have the unique resources that they shouldn't be outbid for guys that will make an impact.

MTYankee23
08-04-08, 02:23 PM
I think CC grew up in Cali.

The player's union tends to frown on players taking that into consideration when they can set record contracts. And the union has more influence than we probably realize.

THEBOSS84
08-04-08, 02:26 PM
I have no problem with the Yankees signing specific guys to record contracts. As I've said all along my issues have been getting involved in the bidding for middle relievers, mid-backend starters, corner OFs in their 30's, etc.

They have the unique resources that they shouldn't be outbid for guys that will make an impact.

I agree. These would be the players I target if I'm going to spend the money, considering players of this caliber have not hit the market of late. I just don't know if the Yankees are willing to spend $300M in guaranteed contracts for TWO players in one offseason.

Mr.Muhozi
08-04-08, 02:29 PM
No CMW?

oh shizzle, i forgot about him, remove moose and pettitte adn ad wang

wang+cano=future
08-04-08, 02:29 PM
I agree. These would be the players I target if I'm going to spend the money, considering players of this caliber have not hit the market of late. I just don't know if the Yankees are willing to spend $300M in guaranteed contracts for TWO players in one offseason.

For that reason I think they will go after Tex a lot harder than CC because of the lack of of 1B depth in the minors compared to the amount of pitching prospects they have, and an overall reluctance to give a pitcher a 6-7 year deal at $18-20 per year.

simmy886
08-04-08, 02:30 PM
This is going to be a very difficult offseason for Cashman because he needs to find a centerfielder. Melky/Gardner aren't good enough, Damon can't field it (especially when you consider that means Matsui then has to play LF and that combination would be ugly).
He can let Giambi go and sign Teixeira, but by substituting Abreu for Nady (Abreu's decline and Nady's hot streak and good season notwithstanding) is a decrease in offense. This can easily be addressed with a Manny signing for DH (slotting Matsui into LF) but where does this lead Damon and who plays center?
I guess we might have to be stuck with Melky until Ajax is ready.

Maybe Cash can trade Damon for prospects I think that would be ideal. Then sign Manny to DH and play Matsui in LF. Melky will play center, Nady in right, and Teixeira 1B and let Giambi and Abreu go. The offense will be much better than this year, even with Melky in center. But is Damon tradable? He's making 13 million next year and then he will be a free agent but he does have a partial no trade clause. The one thing this concept has going for itself is Damon's very solid season with the bat this year .315/.388/.456 126 ops+.

MTYankee23
08-04-08, 02:30 PM

If they were smart, they'd load up in the same offseason, especially the offseason where so much is coming off the books. You lose less 1st rounders that way.

In theory didn't they come close to doing that last offseason with A/Rod and Posada $300 million in guarantees?

THEBOSS84
08-04-08, 02:31 PM
Does anyone know that formula that some web site uses to figure out how much $ a player is worth in a given year? If so, what does it say that each Tex and CC should be valued at per season?

Ynkcpt23
08-04-08, 02:31 PM

That's the big question. I think if they have the opportunity to get both (and I just don't mean offer, I mean the actual opportunity to sign both) then you really have to go for it. I know it's a lot of cash, but it only bolsters the youth you've developed and guys like these just don't come on the FA market anymore, they get wrapped up early.

MTYankee23
08-04-08, 02:33 PM
For that reason I think they will go after Tex a lot harder than CC because of the lack of of 1B depth in the minors compared to the amount of pitching prospects they have, and an overall reluctance to give a pitcher a 6-7 year deal at $18-20 per year.

Should be the opposite in theory. LH Ace in Yankee Stadium is much more valuable than a 1B. Again, the numbers shouldn't matter for the Yankees. Overpaying for studs is what they should afford. Take this season for example. Would you rather have CC at 18, or Pavano and Igawa for 16?

THEBOSS84
08-04-08, 02:33 PM
If they were smart, they'd load up in the same offseason, especially the offseason where so much is coming off the books. You lose less 1st rounders that way.

In theory didn't they come close to doing that last offseason with A/Rod and Posada $300 million in guarantees?

I think the picks angle is covered by our departing FA's.

As for your second point, you are right. They spent 275+52+45 on Arod/Jorge/Mo = 372M

It'll be a ground breaking offseason, that's for sure. The same thing will happen after 2009 when Matsui/Damon/Nady are all coming off the books.

HughesIsNasty
08-04-08, 02:34 PM
Sign C.C Sabathia, Manny Ramirez (3 years, 62 mil) - He'll kill Boston, hes worth it.

Call up Mark Melancon
Trade Hideki Matsui, Alan Horne, B prospect, Melky to LAD for Chad Billingsley

Let Bobby Abreu, Pavano, Sexson, Mussina, Pettitte walk...
Re-Sign Giambi to a one year contract, Re-sign Pudge

Rotation:
1) C.C Sabathia - LHP
2) Joba Chamberlain - RHP
3) Chien-Ming Wang - RHP
4) Chad Billingsley - RHP
5) Phil Hughes - RHP

Bullpen:
LONG: Ian Kennedy
MIDDLE: Brian Bruney
SHORT: David Robertson
SHORT: Mark Melancon
SETUP: Damaso Marte
CLOSER: Mariano Rivera

Lineup:
CF: Johnny Damon - L (just until May, when AJax is ready)
SS: Derek Jeter - R
LF: Manny Ramirez - R
3B: Alex Rodriguez - R
2B: Robinson Cano - L
RF: Xavier Nady - R
1B: Jorge Posada - S
DH: Jason Giambi - L
C: Ivan Rodriguez - R

Bench:
1. Jose Molina
2. Shelley Duncan
3. Justin Christian
4. Wilson Betemit
5. Brett Garnder /...then Damon when AJAX gets called up.

That staff is filthy.

MTYankee23
08-04-08, 02:35 PM
That's the big question. I think if they have the opportunity to get both (and I just don't mean offer, I mean the actual opportunity to sign both) then you really have to go for it. I know it's a lot of cash, but it only bolsters the youth you've developed and guys like these just don't come on the FA market anymore, they get wrapped up early.

Absolutely, it's much easier to develop from within when you have a strong core of stars already in their prime. For example, If the top 4 in your rotation next year is CC, Joba, Wang, and Pettitte, it's much easier to deal with Phil Hughes' growing pains.

If your lineup features Damon, Jeter, Tex, ARod, Matsui, Nady, Posada, and Cano. You can break Austin Jackson in gradually.

HughesIsNasty
08-04-08, 02:37 PM
Tex wont be a Yankee, lets move on. Posada will be our 1B next year.

wang+cano=future
08-04-08, 02:52 PM

How do you know that?

MTYankee23
08-04-08, 02:56 PM
How do you know that?

Probably from the same source that told him that an NL team would trade their 23 year old ace for a DH with knee problems, a CF with a sub .700 OPS, a 25 year old RHP with a mysterious loss of stuff, and a B prospect.

wang+cano=future
08-04-08, 03:01 PM
Probably from the same source that told him that an NL team would trade their 23 year old ace for a DH with knee problems, a CF with a sub .700 OPS, a 25 year old RHP with a mysterious loss of stuff, and a B prospect.

Sounds pretty reliable........

CanoForPresident
08-04-08, 03:03 PM
Sign C.C Sabathia, Manny Ramirez (3 years, 62 mil) - He'll kill Boston, hes worth it.

Call up Mark Melancon
Trade Hideki Matsui, Alan Horne, B prospect, Melky to LAD for Chad Billingsley

Let Bobby Abreu, Pavano, Sexson, Mussina, Pettitte walk...
Re-Sign Giambi to a one year contract, Re-sign Pudge

Rotation:
1) C.C Sabathia - LHP
2) Joba Chamberlain - RHP
3) Chien-Ming Wang - RHP
4) Chad Billingsley - RHP
5) Phil Hughes - RHP

Bullpen:
LONG: Ian Kennedy
MIDDLE: Brian Bruney
SHORT: David Robertson
SHORT: Mark Melancon
SETUP: Damaso Marte
CLOSER: Mariano Rivera

Lineup:
CF: Johnny Damon - L (just until May, when AJax is ready)
SS: Derek Jeter - R
LF: Manny Ramirez - R
3B: Alex Rodriguez - R
2B: Robinson Cano - L
RF: Xavier Nady - R
1B: Jorge Posada - S
DH: Jason Giambi - L
C: Ivan Rodriguez - R

Bench:
1. Jose Molina
2. Shelley Duncan
3. Justin Christian
4. Wilson Betemit
5. Brett Garnder /...then Damon when AJAX gets called up.

That staff is filthy.

That offer won't get you a Chad Billingsly signed baseball.

Brick Tamland
08-04-08, 03:11 PM
I'd sign him to 4 years.

Are you kidding me guy? You want "Manny being Manny" on the Yankees on a $100M/4 yr contract?

Where does he play? DH? The Yankees already have too many. He's not playing LF. Watching Manny mind the left corner of Yankee Stadium would be pathetic.

As Boss said, he's going to be 37 after this season and if you look at his numbers, they have clearly diminished over the last 2 years. Sorry, but I can think of a plethora of better things to do with $25M a year than to invest it in "ManRam".

EDIT: And that doesn't even take into account all the BS you have to put up with from that clown. It's just not worth it.

Mr.Muhozi
08-04-08, 03:15 PM
How do you know that?

i think the exact same thing when people say that CC is 99% going to be at yankee stadium next year, and i bloody hope so

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-04-08, 03:20 PM
Are you kidding me guy? You want "Manny being Manny" on the Yankees on a $100M/4 yr contract?

Where does he play? DH? The Yankees already have too many. He's not playing LF. Watching Manny mind the left corner of Yankee Stadium would be pathetic.

As Boss said, he's going to be 37 after this season and if you look at his numbers, they have clearly diminished over the last 2 years. Sorry, but I can think of a plethora of better things to do with $25M a year than to invest it in "ManRam".

EDIT: And that doesn't even take into account all the BS you have to put up with from that clown. It's just not worth it.

I didn't know the cost was 25m a year. He can play RF/DH. I'm OK with the BS, he's still one of the best righthanded hitters in the game.

Brick Tamland
08-04-08, 04:01 PM
I didn't know the cost was 25m a year. He can play RF/DH. I'm OK with the BS, he's still one of the best righthanded hitters in the game.

I personally think that signing Manny Ramirez would be a HUGE mistake.

There is no way he can play RF, he is a horrible defensive player. I know because I live up in Boston and have watching him foul up play after play for years now.

The Yankees have too many DHs as it is. Manny is not going to get better in the last 4 years of his playing career which is what you'd likely have to sign him for -- at or near $20M on the low end.

He's a slow, disinterested, horrible fielding, me-first player. No one loves Manny more than Manny. LA is the perfect fit for him. I hope they sign him long term before the season is over.

Ynkcpt23
08-04-08, 04:56 PM
Absolutely, it's much easier to develop from within when you have a strong core of stars already in their prime. For example, If the top 4 in your rotation next year is CC, Joba, Wang, and Pettitte, it's much easier to deal with Phil Hughes' growing pains.

If your lineup features Damon, Jeter, Tex, ARod, Matsui, Nady, Posada, and Cano. You can break Austin Jackson in gradually.

The signings are still a huge IF, but that roster is a very exciting thought. And another post just reminded that Matsui, Damon and Nady come of the books the year after next--we could transition pretty smoothly if we can get the chips to fall with CC and Tex. Though we could probably do without one or the other, I would really hope we can get one, preferably CC so at worst, Posada ends up at 1st.

dougj1
08-05-08, 06:04 AM
I know who I DON'T want. That would be the guy with the MOST important job on the Yankees,the guy who inherited the finest franchise in the history of baseball and turned then into an also ran; good ole Brian Cashman.....How in the world could anyone open up a season with such poor starting pitching.Look at the pen. Five months and he's still holding auditions for a setup man...All this with a payroll of $200 million.

Metroidman
08-05-08, 06:48 AM
I know who I DON'T want. That would be the guy with the MOST important job on the Yankees,the guy who inherited the finest franchise in the history of baseball and turned then into an also ran; good ole Brian Cashman.....How in the world could anyone open up a season with such poor starting pitching.Look at the pen. Five months and he's still holding auditions for a setup man...All this with a payroll of $200 million.

lol so many things wrong that I'm not going to even bother.

wang+cano=future
08-05-08, 08:53 AM

:wtf:

yankeeman61
08-05-08, 10:40 AM
I personally think that signing Manny Ramirez would be a HUGE mistake.

There is no way he can play RF, he is a horrible defensive player. I know because I live up in Boston and have watching him foul up play after play for years now.

The Yankees have too many DHs as it is. Manny is not going to get better in the last 4 years of his playing career which is what you'd likely have to sign him for -- at or near $20M on the low end.

He's a slow, disinterested, horrible fielding, me-first player. No one loves Manny more than Manny. LA is the perfect fit for him. I hope they sign him long term before the season is over.

Boras client. Not a chance he doesn't hit the FA market. I agree with the whole disinterested, me-first attitude and Hollywood already loves him. They stood and cheered for him after he hit into a DP. If the Yankees did suffer a brain cramp and signed him, I would bet NY would somehow take to him and become a "fit" as long as he was a DH. You know he would love sticking it to Boston every chance he got. Manny is not from the Bronx. He is from another galaxy and he gets bored IMO. But that SOB can hit. Wouldn't shock me if the Yankees altered their 2009 course and grabbed him. It would be crazy, but could anyone have predicted in October 2007 that Joe Torre would be managing Nomar and Manny on the Dodgers?

NewEraYanks2527
08-05-08, 10:50 AM
That offer won't get you a Chad Billingsly signed baseball. That's an exaggeration, Alan Horne is a very good prospect. Obviously that offer won't do it but please let's try to talk like adults.

Cheesyhoboe
08-05-08, 11:47 AM
Alan Horne is not a very good prospect right now.

genius-24
08-05-08, 12:06 PM
Adam Dunn (http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/individual_stats_player.jsp?playerID=276055&statType=1) vs Jason Giambi (http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/individual_stats_player.jsp?playerID=114739&statType=1),

Pretty similar...

mrbawm
08-05-08, 12:46 PM

I dont' see why we'd sign a 1B that's a better bet for a 900 OPS than 1000 to a 10 year deal. It's not like he's a top flight C, 2B,SS or CF.

mrbawm
08-05-08, 12:47 PM
That's an exaggeration, Alan Horne is a very good prospect. Obviously that offer won't do it but please let's try to talk like adults.

He's getting old and having trouble staying healthy. He's not going to be a big part of a trade that lands you a guy like Billingsley.

NewEraYanks2527
08-05-08, 01:09 PM
He's getting old and having trouble staying healthy. He's not going to be a big part of a trade that lands you a guy like Billingsley. I completely agree and that was not my point. He is not a horrible prospect that wouldn't net an autographed ball. Matsui is a solid bat and if he comes back from knee surgery healthy he may be a very good trade chip. Someone made a suggestion, sure it was not great but at the same time these exaggerations are getting redundant and get debates nowhere.

R.V.47
08-05-08, 01:48 PM
That's an exaggeration, Alan Horne is a very good prospect. Obviously that offer won't do it but please let's try to talk like adults.

He was an excellent prospect around this time last year. A lot has happened since then and as someone else said he is getting into his mid to late 20's without even a taste of the big leagues. Not really a hot prospect anymore.

JL25and3
08-05-08, 01:52 PM
A few guys I don't want on the 2009 Yankees (list is not inclusive):

Gary Sheffield
Jason Varitek
Corey Patterson
Neifi! Perez
Dante Bichette
Joe Charbonneau

HughesIsNasty
08-05-08, 04:03 PM
How do you know that?

Posada most likely wont be able to catch anymore, therefore hes our new 1B, therefore why would we throw out 10 years/200 mil to Tex. Sure he's a great player but that asking price is absurd, also factor in that its not THAT great of a need, its not really a fit. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have Tex, but I just don't see it. Plus...All you guys just think every player wants to sign with the Yankees, well thats not the case.

bxbomber328
08-05-08, 04:11 PM
Posada most likely wont be able to catch anymore, therefore hes our new 1B, therefore why would we throw out 10 years/200 mil to Tex. Sure he's a great player but that asking price is absurd, also factor in that its not THAT great of a need, its not really a fit. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have Tex, but I just don't see it. Plus...All you guys just think every player wants to sign with the Yankees, well thats not the case.

Yeah, what happens if we dish out all that money to TEX, and Posada can't catch anymore, where do we put him?

THEBOSS84
08-05-08, 04:12 PM
Yeah, what happens if we dish out all that money to TEX, and Posada can't catch anymore, where do we put him?

DH..?

Yankee Fan in Boston
08-05-08, 04:29 PM
Adam Dunn (http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/individual_stats_player.jsp?playerID=276055&statType=1) vs Jason Giambi (http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/individual_stats_player.jsp?playerID=114739&statType=1),

Pretty similar...

I made that point in another thread. I don't get the Dunn love.

HughesIsNasty
08-05-08, 04:36 PM
DH..?

Matsui? Damon?

teknetic
08-05-08, 04:52 PM

Good lord dude, you're a broken record. I've seen trolls make better posts on a routine basis.

Originally Posted by genius-24
Adam Dunn vs Jason Giambi,

Pretty similar...

Except for the fact he'll be nine years younger and have the benefit of the short porch? He'd be younger than Giambi was when we signed him; you wouldn't sign up for that type of production? in what world? I don't care if he can't play defense of K's a ton, the dude can put up a .900+ OPS in his sleep..and he won't cost 20million+

THEBOSS84
08-05-08, 05:20 PM
Good lord dude, you're a broken record. I've seen trolls make better posts on a routine basis.

I actually took the time to go look back on this guys track record. He's been begging for Cash to be ousted since 2003!

Yankee Fan in Boston
08-05-08, 05:27 PM
Except for the fact he'll be nine years younger and have the benefit of the short porch? He'd be younger than Giambi was when we signed him; you wouldn't sign up for that type of production? in what world? I don't care if he can't play defense of K's a ton, the dude can put up a .900+ OPS in his sleep..and he won't cost 20million+

Yeah, but the point is that he is doing what Giambi is doing this year even though he is 9 years younger... not what Giambi did 9 years ago. So basically he is the player Giambi is now (including the defense) -- except that he strikes out more. I am not saying he doesn't have value, but it feels like we'd be getting another DH type who wouldn't make our team much better than it is today.

YanksFan1992
08-05-08, 06:34 PM
:roflmao:

dougj1
08-05-08, 09:56 PM
Teknut- Thanks again for your snide comment regarding my post. For the 8 years I have been posting here I've heard all the sarcastic comments from guys just like you..Oddly enough, during this time, my batting average about replacing Cashman since the Yankees are not going to win a World Series Championship flag, has been l00% correct....I'm going to repeat myself so that even someone as rude, sarcastic and pompous as you can understand......Get ready....Get a pencil and paper...Are you set? Here's the message---"THE NEW YORK YANKEES WILL NEVER WIN A WORLD SERIES UNTIL THEY GET A NEW GENERAL MANAGER".....place the message next to your teddy bear and each night read it three times.

NYYFans4Life123
08-05-08, 11:00 PM
Want: Tex, K-Rod, Sheets/CC, AJax, Melancon
NOT Want: MELKY

YanksFan1992
08-05-08, 11:08 PM
Teknut- Thanks again for your snide comment regarding my post. For the 8 years I have been posting here I've heard all the sarcastic comments from guys just like you..Oddly enough, during this time, my batting average about replacing Cashman since the Yankees are not going to win a World Series Championship flag, has been l00% correct....I'm going to repeat myself so that even someone as rude, sarcastic and pompous as you can understand......Get ready....Get a pencil and paper...Are you set? Here's the message---"THE NEW YORK YANKEES WILL NEVER WIN A WORLD SERIES UNTIL THEY GET A NEW GENERAL MANAGER".....place the message next to your teddy bear and each night read it three times.

The 16 years before Cashman was named GM: 3 playoff appearances, 1 pennant, 1 Championship.
The 10 years Cashman has been GM: 10 playoff appearances, 5 pennants, 3 championships.

Do you have any reasoning for this besides posting in all caps?

Tabata
08-05-08, 11:12 PM
The 16 years before Cashman was named GM: 3 playoff appearances, 1 pennant, 1 Championship.
The 10 years Cashman has been GM: 10 playoff appearances, 5 pennants, 3 championships.

Do you have any reasoning for this besides posting in all caps?
For some reason he seams to really, really hate Cashman. Just ignore him. That's what I'm doing.

SoCal Pinstriper
08-05-08, 11:41 PM
Teknut- Thanks again for your snide comment regarding my post. For the 8 years I have been posting here I've heard all the sarcastic comments from guys just like you..Oddly enough, during this time, my batting average about replacing Cashman since the Yankees are not going to win a World Series Championship flag, has been l00% correct....I'm going to repeat myself so that even someone as rude, sarcastic and pompous as you can understand......Get ready....Get a pencil and paper...Are you set? Here's the message---"THE NEW YORK YANKEES WILL NEVER WIN A WORLD SERIES UNTIL THEY GET A NEW GENERAL MANAGER".....place the message next to your teddy bear and each night read it three times.Both of you might want to review this;

Respect Everyone's Opinion:
Please treat your fellow forumers with respect. Just because you disagree with another user's opinion doesn't give you the right to insult or otherwise demean someone. An opinion different than your isn't necessarily a wrong one nor does it mean that the other person is lacking in intelligence because they don't see things your way. We want our users to feel comfortable posting their opinions, even unpopular ones, without fear that they will be slammed for it. No matter how crazy or outlandish an opinion is, it is still that user's opinion and they are entitled to it. Insults, whether direct or indirect are not permitted. For example, posting "Only a moron would think that signing Johnny Damon was a good move," might not directly insult a specific user but is still a violation of our community standards. Link (http://www.nyyfans.com/communityStandards.php#4)

JeterRodriguezSheff
08-05-08, 11:43 PM
I want: Sabathia, Tex,
I dont want: Melky, Pettitte, Mussina

BroadwayBomber55
08-05-08, 11:46 PM

Ok CBS ahem, dougj1,

Who do you think will do a better job as Yankee GM than Brian Cashman? Damon Oppenheimer? Bob Watson? Jean Afterman? Who?

Some deals Cashman pull off work that led to success even when it doesn't result in World Championships, some don't.

Brian Cashman is not the one hitting the 20-run home run bomb, throw 95 MPH, etc.

ArodMVP217
08-05-08, 11:51 PM
Want: Sabathia, Sheets/Mussina, Teixeira, Abreu!
do not want: Giambi, Pettitte, Igawa, Melky?

YanksFan1992
08-06-08, 12:01 AM
Opening Day Roster:

C: Molina/Pudge
1B: Teixeira
2B: Cano
SS: Jeter
3B: A-Rod
DH: Posada/Damon
LF: Nady
CF:Christian/Gardner/Melky/Damon (1 of the 3 youngsters should be traded)
RF:Abreu
Bench:
-Pudge/Molina
-Posada/Damon
-Betemit
-1 of Melky/Garnder/Christian

Rotation:
-Wang
-Sabathia
-Joba
-Hughes
-Kennedy/Dempster

Bullpen:
-Kennedy/Dempster
-Mo
-Edwar
-Veras
-Marte
-Robertson/Giese
-Melancon

Mark19
08-06-08, 12:03 AM
This team is turning into the Knicks of today and the Rangers of a few years ago. Tons of talent but no chemistry or leadership. It is some weird mix where A-Rod is like Jagr and Jeter is like Marbury.

genius-24
08-06-08, 12:06 AM
The worst move was signing ARod.

YanksFan1992
08-06-08, 12:08 AM
Why do you say that?

Mark19
08-06-08, 12:09 AM

He is practically impossible to like. It just seems so counter-intuitive for the big, bad Bronx Bombers to build themselves around someone like that.

Jeter Kid
08-06-08, 12:13 AM
This team is turning into the Knicks of today and the Rangers of a few years ago. Tons of talent but no chemistry or leadership. It is some weird mix where A-Rod is like Jagr and Jeter is like Marbury.

Jeter like Marbury? C'mon.

YanksFan1992
08-06-08, 12:14 AM
He is practically impossible to like. It just seems so counter-intuitive for the big, bad Bronx Bombers to build themselves around someone like that.
I don't really care how much people have to like him, if he is second in the AL in HRs per game, and has the third best average. To blame a suppossedly lack-luster season (which I disagree with) on him is ridiculous in my opinion.

Mark19
08-06-08, 12:16 AM
Jeter like Marbury? C'mon.

Couldn't really think of a Knick who is the default face of the franchise but is rapidly diminishing in his ability to contribute and becoming more of a marketing spur than team producer.

Perhaps Messier 2001-2004 or the last three years of Ewing

YanksFan1992
08-06-08, 12:17 AM
Couldn't really think of a Knick who is the default face of the franchise but is rapidly diminishing in his ability to contribute and becoming more of a marketing spur than team producer.

Perhaps Messier 2001-2004 or the last three years of Ewing
Since when is A-Rod's ability is diminishing?

Jeter Kid
08-06-08, 12:21 AM

I think he means Jagr and A-Rod are the same in the aspect of best in the league on a team that isn't doing so well..?

Mark19
08-06-08, 12:21 AM
I don't really care how much people have to like him, if he is second in the AL in HRs per game, and has the third best average. To blame a suppossedly lack-luster season (which I disagree with) on him is ridiculous in my opinion.

It baffles me where these numbers are coming from. Remember Sheffield during his first two seasons and Giambi in 2002-2003. When they came up to the plate with two men on and two out in a close game, I used to be thinking 'These guys are going to bust it open' with Alex my mind is saying 'Please don't strikeout'.

His talent is beyond anything this team has had in fifty years but I'm just not sold on his ability to live up to the absurd expectations he set for himself.

The Dynasty Yankees could beat you with 5 or 6 players, much like the Angels of today . The current Yankees rely on the 3-run blast that Alex can't always be counted on to produce.

Mark19
08-06-08, 12:22 AM

I was talking about Jeter

YanksFan1992
08-06-08, 12:23 AM
I was talking about Jeter
Sorry about that, I misread the post. :o

genius-24
08-06-08, 12:24 AM
no one is blamming the season on him and his contributions(even thought 67 RBI is pretty bad). but the burden and attention he brings.

the thing is you can't realistcally produce like how he is getting paid. he would need to be near perfect in everycategory to come up close to what he is getting paid. now not earning his money starts everything.

ARod is 33 and his contract expires when he becomes 42...

Brian made big mistake going this route. we should have went with miguel cabrera.

YanksFan1992
08-06-08, 12:26 AM
It baffles me where these numbers are coming from. Remember Sheffield during his first two seasons and Giambi in 2002-2003. When they came up to the plate with two men on and two out in a close game, I used to be thinking 'These guys are going to bust it open' with Alex my mind is saying 'Please don't strikeout'.

His talent is beyond anything this team has had in fifty years but I'm just not sold on his ability to live up to the absurd expectations he set for himself.

The Dynasty Yankees could beat you with 5 or 6 players, much like the Angels of today . The current Yankees rely on the 3-run blast that Alex can't always be counted on to produce.
I agree with you that he could be doing better in "clutch" situations, but for some to say that the signing was a mistake and blame this entirely on A-Rod is pretty ridiculous in my opinion. Although you make a good point with the "Dynasty" aspect, we've won titles before with a clear-cut best player and we can do it again. It's up to the other players to produce, and if we hadn't signed A-Rod last off-season we probably wouldn't even be thinking about the playoffs right now.

Jeter Kid
08-06-08, 12:26 AM
no one is blamming the season on him and his contributions(even thought 67 RBI is pretty bad). but the burden and attention he brings.

the thing is you can't realistcally produce like how he is getting paid. he would need to be near perfect in everycategory to come up close to what he is getting paid. now not earning his money starts everything.

Brian made big mistake going this route. we should have went with miguel cabrera.

You're trying to say that the New York Yankees would be in better shape right now and in the future if they decided to go after Miguel Cabrera instead of Alex Rodriguez? I'm not sold on that myself.

teknetic
08-06-08, 12:27 AM

Except for the fact they've umm won a few WS with him at the helm.

Both of you might want to review this;

I wasn't trying to derail, he just managed to turn another thread into a Cashman ran and it's gotten pretty stale at this point.

Jeter Kid
08-06-08, 12:28 AM
Nice edit, tek. ;)

YanksFan1992
08-06-08, 12:29 AM

The Tigers had to trade for Cabrera so that's hardly fair. If Cashman hadn't gone that route, he likely would have signed with another team. Besides, unless A-Rod cures cancer it would be hard for any athlete to earn 27-28 million a year. ;)

genius-24
08-06-08, 12:30 AM
You're trying to say that the New York Yankees would be in better shape right now and in the future if they decided to go after Miguel Cabrera instead of Alex Rodriguez? I'm not sold on that myself.
Not particularly this year but starting near future they would be in better shape. just think about...ARod is already 33 and he is entering first year in his 10 year deal that pays him average of 27.5mil each year. Couple of season will be taken away by injuries. this move will prove costly.

Jeter Kid
08-06-08, 12:33 AM
Not particularly this year but starting near future they would be in better shape. just think about...ARod is already 33 and he is entering first year in his 10 year deal that pays him average of 27.5mil each year. Couple of season will be taken away by injuries. this move will prove costly.

Money should never be a problem with this organization (sadly). We re-signed the best player in the game today instead of going after a very good younger player. The revenue A-Rod will generate will cure that hole in the pocket for his big signing anyways.

YanksFan1992
08-06-08, 12:35 AM

Yeah, but the Tigers had to trade for him.

So just figuratively would you rather have:

Miguel Cabrera (and Dontrelle Willis), or A-Rod, and players of Andrew Miller, Dallas Trahern, Eulogio De La Cruz, Burke Badenhop, Mike Rabelo and Cameron Maybin's caliber.

teknetic
Yeah, but the point is that he is doing what Giambi is doing this year even though he is 9 years younger... not what Giambi did 9 years ago. So basically he is the player Giambi is now (including the defense)

Adam Dunn: 32HR 74RBI 138+OPS .929OPS
Jason Giambi: 21HR 64RBI 140+OPS .902OPS

How is he doing similar to Giambi? put him in this lineup in front of ARod and with the short porch and those numbers are probably even better.

-- except that he strikes out more. I am not saying he doesn't have value, but it feels like we'd be getting another DH type who wouldn't make our team much better than it is today.

He's K'd almost twice as much, but he's also walked more often. Giambi has struggled for two months and mashed for two months at the age of 37. Adam Dun isn't even 30 yet and has the chance to up similar numbers for a good long while, what's the problem here?

The Tigers essentially traded their farm; two top tier prospects for Cabrera, Porcello IS their farm system. They lost Zumaya, Rodney, and Jones and HAD to trade for a reliever because they have absolutely nothing of value to come up and help. You'd risk all that just for Cabrera when you could have had a better player for the next 3-4 years?

TheGameEpisode2
Give me Tex and Sabathia.

I'm not sure about Abreu. If he'll take 1 year at like 12 million with an option, I'd definitely do it. Any more than two years I might have to walk away.

Kind of the same situation with Moose, he's been great this year, and his whole time here he's only had one truly putrid year, and that was last year. Somebody said give him that Tim Wakefield deal where he has like an option for a bunch of years, that would be good I think.

Dump Melky. Please. I can't stand this guy anymore.

Sabathia, Wang, Joba, Mussina, Hughes/Kennedy just seems to good to pass up.

genius-24
08-06-08, 12:38 AM
Yeah, but the Tigers had to trade for him.

So just figuratively would you rather have:

Miguel Cabrera (and Dontrelle Willis), or A-Rod, and players of Andrew Miller, Dallas Trahern, Eulogio De La Cruz, Burke Badenhop, Mike Rabelo and Cameron Maybin's caliber.
I would do some type of three way deal and take Miguel and not mess with Willis.

teknetic
08-06-08, 12:40 AM
I would do some type of three way deal and take Miguel and not mess with Willis.

I don't think that deal goes down without Willis. They weren't getting squat for him by himself, so packaging him with Miggy was probably the best thing they could have done.

genius-24
08-06-08, 12:41 AM
Adam Dunn: 32HR 74RBI 138+OPS .929OPS

How is he doing similar to Giambi? put him in this lineup in front of ARod and with the short porch and those numbers are probably even better.
No. That's pretty similar numbers OPS, OPS+, RBI are pretty similar. Giambi has better average, where as Dunn draws more walks but Ks too much. I like Dunn too but Im just trying to point out similarity.

YanksFan1992
08-06-08, 12:47 AM
Ok, let's say the Yankees don't get Willis but the Marlins don't get the extra four prospects in addition to Miller and Maybin.If we say Maybin and Miller are about equivalent to Austin Jackson and Ian Kennedy (I realize this isn't that great of a comparison), would you rather have Miguel Cabrera, or A-Rod, Jackson and Kennedy?

teknetic
08-06-08, 12:49 AM
No. That's pretty similar numbers OPS, OPS+, RBI are pretty similar. Giambi has better average, where as Dunn draws more walks but Ks too much. I like Dunn too but Im just trying to point out similarity.

11 more HR's and 14 more RBI's, how exactly are they similar? He's had Edwin Encarnacion batting behind him for the most of the year, there is no similarty. He's been better than Giambi this year and he's done it in an inferior lineup. No one's gonna care about K's when he's hitting 80 homers a year.

In other words; he leads the majors in HR's and has had a better year than Ryan Howard, hell they're the same age.

genius-24
08-06-08, 10:30 AM
Ok, let's say the Yankees don't get Willis but the Marlins don't get the extra four prospects in addition to Miller and Maybin.If we say Maybin and Miller are about equivalent to Austin Jackson and Ian Kennedy (I realize this isn't that great of a comparison), would you rather have Miguel Cabrera, or A-Rod, Jackson and Kennedy?
Miguel Cabrera. No question about it. Far younger and far cheaper.

teknetic
08-06-08, 11:33 AM
You'd give all that up for a guy who's already mentioned he doesn't wanna play in NY? Being cheaper is irrelevant, ARod's contract isn't gonna hurt this club.

genius-24
08-06-08, 12:10 PM
You'd give all that up for a guy who's already mentioned he doesn't wanna play in NY? Being cheaper is irrelevant, ARod's contract isn't gonna hurt this club.
im wasn't aware of that. if that's the case then forget it.

but if that's wasn't the case, then, i would take 8mill per year+far younger 3rd base.

But it would be terrible seeing 36+ year player playing 3B. His range, speed, etc will diminish alot. And he is under contract untill age 42. that's his absolutely horrible.

THEBOSS84
08-06-08, 12:12 PM

Pretty easy to say in year one of a ten year deal given to a 32 year old.

themgmt
08-06-08, 12:19 PM
I want no part of Sheets

genius-24
08-06-08, 12:52 PM
Why "no" to sheets?

yanksphan
08-06-08, 01:16 PM
I hope both Pettitte and Melky are not part of the 2009 Yankees.

ICEBERG18
08-06-08, 02:01 PM
Do not bring back any of our free agents.

THEBOSS84
08-06-08, 02:04 PM
Do not bring back any of our free agents.

If Joba has a 150IP cap for next season, we'd need a Pettitte/Moose on a one year deal I'd assume. Other than that, I agree.

Yankee Tripper
08-06-08, 02:13 PM
If Joba has a 150IP cap for next season, we'd need a Pettitte/Moose on a one year deal I'd assume. Other than that, I agree.Not if we sign both CC & Sheets like I want. ;)

justtxyank
08-06-08, 02:33 PM
Sheets? Really? Do people never learn? The guy is injured CONSTANTLY.

THEBOSS84
08-06-08, 02:35 PM
Sheets? Really? Do people never learn? The guy is injured CONSTANTLY.

He's having the typical walk-year healthy season. I despise walk year performers.

EDIT: I do like Sheets, just to be perfectly clear.

MTYankee23
08-06-08, 02:39 PM
In Sheets' case, there are worse things to have than guys who pitch like a #1-2 for 20+ starts a season, especially if you have organizational depth with starting pitching.

melman
08-06-08, 02:54 PM
Back to the original topic:

No invite for 2009 to: Giambi, Mussina, Melky or Andy.

justtxyank
08-06-08, 02:55 PM
In Sheets' case, there are worse things to have than guys who pitch like a #1-2 for 20+ starts a season, especially if you have organizational depth with starting pitching.

There is no guarantee he pitches like that in the American League.

jeterdaman
08-06-08, 03:01 PM
There is no guarantee he pitches like that in the American League.

Do you have a list of "Sure Things" that I can take a look at?

iWant27
08-06-08, 03:07 PM
Back to the original topic:

No invite for 2009 to: Giambi, Mussina, Melky or Andy.

Melky , for sure , please no . No way this guy is major leaguer . Peter's blog breaks down his stats since start of 2007 , so its not a fluke .
Giambi , if he takes lot less money and play a role like Seirra did for Torre in 2004 .
I think Andy is gonna retire .
Moose , you can never have enough starting pitching . He has re-learn his trade this year it seems . He deserves a shot in 2009 .

justtxyank
08-06-08, 03:39 PM
Do you have a list of "Sure Things" that I can take a look at?

No need for the snarky reply.

You are talking about an NL pitcher, in the NL central, in Milwaukee, who hasn't pitched 200 innings since 2004 (though barring injury he will get there this year) and has had a multitude of injuries.

It isn't about sure things, it's about foolish gambles.

Yankee Fan in Boston
08-06-08, 03:52 PM
[quote=teknetic]Adam Dunn: 32HR 74RBI 138+OPS .929OPS

He's K'd almost twice as much, but he's also walked more often. Giambi has struggled for two months and mashed for two months at the age of 37. Adam Dun isn't even 30 yet and has the chance to up similar numbers for a good long while, what's the problem here?
quote]

Sorry for the slow response -- just saw this. I was looking at BA (G - .256, D - .238), OBP (.392 vs. .381), SLG (.511 vs. 547 -- Dunn with an advantage)... Culminating in OPS+ measures of 140 vs 138... Those numbers all seem pretty close to me. The difference in walks and HRs is somewhat explained by the extra at bats -- the slugging and OBP show that. The K rate is still very different.

My point is that Dunn is topping out where Giambi is now, and is probably best suited to be a DH. I'd like to think we can do better.

Bern baby Bern!
08-06-08, 04:17 PM
He's having the typical walk-year healthy season. I despise walk year performers.

EDIT: I do like Sheets, just to be perfectly clear.
So we'll keep signing him to a one yr deal :D
Sheets seems like another pavano deal waiting to happen.. I like him but wouldn't mind not having him..
With regard to Dunn ---- Please NO!!!!!
I do not like him whatsoever, i hate homerun-strikeout players no matter how many homeruns he hits. I actually much rather have giambi. They are both terrible defensively, dunn will have more homeruns but not by much and giambi will strike out half as much as dunn and will have higher average.. Please stay away from dunn, i do not understand why you would want a guy who will hit .230 with 200 strikeouts, cant play the field but hits 40 homeruns..

MTYankee23
08-06-08, 04:31 PM
No need for the snarky reply.

You are talking about an NL pitcher, in the NL central, in Milwaukee, who hasn't pitched 200 innings since 2004 (though barring injury he will get there this year) and has had a multitude of injuries.

It isn't about sure things, it's about foolish gambles.

Funny, Schilling and Beckett had similar histories in the NL. He's far more similar in stuff and performance than he is to Carl Pavano.

justtxyank
08-06-08, 04:41 PM
Funny, Schilling and Beckett had similar histories in the NL. He's far more similar in stuff and performance than he is to Carl Pavano.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/schilcu01.shtml

From 1996-2002, Schilling went over 180ip ever year, going over 200 all but 2 seasons. His ERA+ was over 120 every year, being over 130 all but two years. He struck out 300+ batters 3 times and came close a 4th time. He had 3 seasons in the top 5 in CY voting, and only once was his WHIP over 1.2.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/beckejo02.shtml

Josh Beckett was only 26 when acquired by Boston. His innings had gone up each year, but yes, he did have blister concerns that hampered him every season. A far cry though from shoulder and elbow problems. He had only been a full time starter though for 4 seasons before the trade. On top of that, he's wrapping up his third season in the AL East and has been bad one year, great one year, and slightly better than average this year.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/sheetbe01.shtml

Ben Sheets will be 30 next year, entering his 9th season in the big leagues. He has struck out more than 200 batters once in his career. He has suffered a handful of injuries. After stringing together 3 years of 200+ innings pitched from 2002-2004, he hasn't gotten close since, but looks to do it this year, his FA year. His injuries have included hamstrings, back problems, shoulder problems, and ear infections, along with a few other freakish injuries.

MTYankee23
08-06-08, 04:49 PM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/schilcu01.shtml

From 1996-2002, Schilling went over 180ip ever year, going over 200 all but 2 seasons. His ERA+ was over 120 every year, being over 130 all but two years. He struck out 300+ batters 3 times and came close a 4th time. He had 3 seasons in the top 5 in CY voting, and only once was his WHIP over 1.2.

Josh Beckett was only 26 when acquired by Boston. His innings had gone up each year, but yes, he did have blister concerns that hampered him every season. A far cry though from shoulder and elbow problems. He had only been a full time starter though for 4 seasons before the trade. On top of that, he's wrapping up his third season in the AL East and has been bad one year, great one year, and slightly better than average this year.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/sheetbe01.shtml

Ben Sheets will be 30 next year, entering his 9th season in the big leagues. He has struck out more than 200 batters once in his career. He has suffered a handful of injuries. After stringing together 3 years of 200+ innings pitched from 2002-2004, he hasn't gotten close since, but looks to do it this year, his FA year. His injuries have included hamstrings, back problems, shoulder problems, and ear infections, along with a few other freakish injuries.

From '96 to '02 Curt Schilling was ages 29-35. In '94 and '95 he threw less than 200 innings combined. Prior to the age time frame you speak of, Schilling had made more than 20 starts twice, something that Sheets has done every year of his career except for 1. Schilling had NEVER struck out more than 200 batters in a season prior to age 30.

Beckett's 2000 season was actually cut short due to Shoulder Tendonitis and he through age 28, has still yet to strike out 200 batters in a season.

BroadwayBomber55
08-06-08, 04:58 PM
Want: C.C. Sabathia and Ryan Dempster for the rotation, re-sign Moose for one year, Mark Teixiera, add one reliever (maybe K-Rod or Brandon Lyon), keep developing young relievers, Vladimir Guerrero (if bought out by LAA)

Gone: Andy Pettitte (retire), Melky Cabrera, Jason Giambi, Richie Sexson,

Giddyup5
08-06-08, 06:43 PM
haa i hope these are more wish lists than actual expectations...

ajra21
08-06-08, 06:58 PM
Want: C.C. Sabathia and Ryan Dempster for the rotation, re-sign Moose for one year, Mark Teixiera, add one reliever (maybe K-Rod or Brandon Lyon), keep developing young relievers, Vladimir Guerrero (if bought out by LAA)

Gone: Andy Pettitte (retire), Melky Cabrera, Jason Giambi, Richie Sexson,

wow ...

yankeeman61
08-08-08, 01:59 PM
Ben Sheets....nasty stuff, but a history of injuries. Someone is going to overpay for this high risk/high reward pitcher. I don't want to make a direct comparison to Pavano because Sheets has much better stuff. But the injuries are there. As much as some worry about Sabathia breaking down because of his weight, he has managed to be very durable. Who knows, maybe the Yanks will go for both but I'd rather they rolled the dice with CC.

primetime714
08-08-08, 04:43 PM
Sign:
CC
Teixeira
Pettitte
Moose
Marte (pick up option)
Andruw Jones (Dodgers pay at least half his salary) or a stop gap CF option like Mike Cameron on a 1-year deal

Say Goodbye to: Abreu and Pudge

Rationale:
-CC and Teixeira- they're both young and very good players
-Pettitte and Moose- they'll both come back on 1-year deals and are both still effective. You can never have enough starting pitching we need to plan on going into the year with at least 6 viable starters.
-Marte- 6M may seem like a lot but for 1 year of a back of the bullpen lefty that's a good deal
-Andruw/Cameron- I'll probably get some flack for this, but I think we need to get someone to play CF. Andruw looks like he is done, but at age 32 if he can just get back into shape he could be a huge boost to our lineup and the Dodgers would gladly trade him to anyone willing to pick up some of that salary. With Melky and Gardner as fall back plans, why not take a chance on a rebound year for Jones who will need to step it up to get another contract. If not Jones, Cameron is having yet another year of an above 100 OPS+. His average sucks, but he plays good defense, can get on base at a decent rate and has nice power.
-Abreu- we don't need another corner OF or a lefty bat, the money is better invested in a guy like Teixeira.
-Pudge- Posada needs to catch, that's where he can help this team the most. His bat while good doesn't play well enough at 1B for us to keep Pudge and move Posada to 1B and not sign Teixeira. Molina is more than capable as a backup.

teknetic
08-08-08, 04:55 PM
The Dodgers would have to pay more than just half of Jones' salary for it be a good move. He also seems pretty contempt with his current shape.

Hobie
08-08-08, 05:02 PM

I remember hearing some health issues with Josh...so I did a quick google search.

http://jockbio.com/Bios/Beckett/Beckett_bio.html

With the Cougars, Josh continued to dazzle. In his debut, he logged four innings and fanned seven. A week later, he overpowered the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers. But that start proved to be his last for nearly two months. When Josh complained of soreness in his right shoulder, the Marlins took no chances. An MRI revealed mild tendonitis, and he was shut down immediately.

Over the winter, Josh met with Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Alabama to get his shoulder checked out completely. The diagnosis detected a small tear in his labrum, some fraying in his rotator cuff, and biceps tendonitis.

YanksFan1992
08-08-08, 06:09 PM
Sign:

Andruw Jones (Dodgers pay at least half his salary) or a stop gap CF option like Mike Cameron on a 1-year dealSigning Andruw Jones would be one of the dumbest personnel decisions we've ever made.

primetime714
08-08-08, 06:34 PM
Signing Andruw Jones would be one of the dumbest personnel decisions we've ever made.

He's not a Free Agent. He has 1 more year on his deal with the Dodgers. My suggestion was to trade for him because the Dodgers will be so desperate to deal him that they'd be more than willing to pay for at least half his salary (probably more) and/or take on a bad contract of ours like Kei Igawa.

While Andruw is beyond bad this year its not out of the realm of possibility that he could have a bounce back year in a contract year. I mean this is a guy who before this year has hit at least 26 HRs every year since he was 21 years old.

Its the principal of buying low on a high end talent. Andruw may not have the talent he once displayed, but even in a bad year (other than this year which is abysmal) he is still much better than Melky and if he isn't well we'll still have Melky and Gardner anyway, so its a low risk move.

YanksFan1992
08-08-08, 06:38 PM
He's not a Free Agent. He has 1 more year on his deal with the Dodgers. My suggestion was to trade for him because the Dodgers will be so desperate to deal him that they'd be more than willing to pay for at least half his salary (probably more) and/or take on a bad contract of ours like Kei Igawa.

While Andruw is beyond bad this year its not out of the realm of possibility that he could have a bounce back year in a contract year. I mean this is a guy who before this year has hit at least 26 HRs every year since he was 21 years old.

Its the principal of buying low on a high end talent. Andruw may not have the talent he once displayed, but even in a bad year (other than this year which is abysmal) he is still much better than Melky and if he isn't well we'll still have Melky and Gardner anyway, so its a low risk move.
He's been declining for the last 3 years, and we would still have to take on part of the contract. I would much rather give playing time to a yougster, and having Jones, Damon, Posada and possibly Giambi/Matsui is taking a huge risk in my opinion.

Brick Tamland
08-08-08, 06:38 PM
I remember hearing some health issues with Josh...so I did a quick google search.

http://jockbio.com/Bios/Beckett/Beckett_bio.html

Interesting...so he acted against his trainers advice and ended up lengthening his time on the DL. I am just glad Joba has the right people around him to keep him from making the same mistake (I hope).

primetime714
08-08-08, 07:36 PM
He's been declining for the last 3 years, and we would still have to take on part of the contract. I would much rather give playing time to a yougster, and having Jones, Damon, Posada and possibly Giambi/Matsui is taking a huge risk in my opinion.

Declining the last 3 years? So he was declining in 2006 when he hit 41 HRs and had an .894 OPS. I agree that he has been terrible this year and had a bad year in 2007, nut he is still only 31 years old, he shouldn't realistically be "declining" at that age. Plus even if he has another year like 2007 he is still an upgrade over Melky or Gardner.

As for giving the time to a youngster, the only "youngsters" we have that will be ready for 2009 are Melky and Gardner both of whom look like 4th OFs.

YanksFan1992
08-08-08, 08:08 PM
Declining the last 3 years? So he was declining in 2006 when he hit 41 HRs and had an .894 OPS. I agree that he has been terrible this year and had a bad year in 2007, nut he is still only 31 years old, he shouldn't realistically be "declining" at that age. Plus even if he has another year like 2007 he is still an upgrade over Melky or Gardner.

As for giving the time to a youngster, the only "youngsters" we have that will be ready for 2009 are Melky and Gardner both of whom look like 4th OFs.
Well he declined dramatically from 05 to 06, so technically even though he had great numbers he was still declining. Yeah, he's only 31, but he started at such a young age he might be getting run down. I would much rather have someone like Milton Bradley than Jones.

primetime714
08-08-08, 09:43 PM
Well he declined dramatically from 05 to 06, so technically even though he had great numbers he was still declining. Yeah, he's only 31, but he started at such a young age he might be getting run down. I would much rather have someone like Milton Bradley than Jones.

You can't call that a decline though. He simply had a career year in 05'. Following up the best year of your career with probably your second best year in your career is by no means a decline.

I think his falling numbers have more to do with poor conditioning, injuries (this year), and lack of motivation. I can't say for certain he will turn these things around, however in a contract year when his stock is as low as its ever been I imagine he'd more motivated than ever to prove he can still play and land himself another contract. Its certainly a risk and I totally I understand your reasons for not wanting him, but personally I think it is a gamble worth taking if the Dodgers are willing to foot more than half the bill and/or take Igawa off our hands.

Milton Bradley no doubt is a better hitter, but you can't count on him to play CF or the OF at all really. He's barely played CF since 2005 and he's never really been healthy for a full year when he has played the OF. He's a great hitter, but you can make an argument that due to injury risk he is a strictly a DH. Part of the reason I think he has done so well in Texas is because they allow him to be the DH on a regular basis which has kept his fresh and healthy (for the most part).

JL25and3
08-08-08, 09:57 PM
Sign:
CC
Teixeira
Pettitte
Moose
Marte (pick up option)
Andruw Jones (Dodgers pay at least half his salary) or a stop gap CF option like Mike Cameron on a 1-year deal

Say Goodbye to: Abreu and Pudge

Rationale:
-CC and Teixeira- they're both young and very good players
-Pettitte and Moose- they'll both come back on 1-year deals and are both still effective. You can never have enough starting pitching we need to plan on going into the year with at least 6 viable starters.
-Marte- 6M may seem like a lot but for 1 year of a back of the bullpen lefty that's a good deal
-Andruw/Cameron- I'll probably get some flack for this, but I think we need to get someone to play CF. Andruw looks like he is done, but at age 32 if he can just get back into shape he could be a huge boost to our lineup and the Dodgers would gladly trade him to anyone willing to pick up some of that salary. With Melky and Gardner as fall back plans, why not take a chance on a rebound year for Jones who will need to step it up to get another contract. If not Jones, Cameron is having yet another year of an above 100 OPS+. His average sucks, but he plays good defense, can get on base at a decent rate and has nice power.
-Abreu- we don't need another corner OF or a lefty bat, the money is better invested in a guy like Teixeira.
-Pudge- Posada needs to catch, that's where he can help this team the most. His bat while good doesn't play well enough at 1B for us to keep Pudge and move Posada to 1B and not sign Teixeira. Molina is more than capable as a backup. I wouldn't touch Andruw with a ten-foot pole. Cameron's not a terrible idea, though. He's really just a platoon player at this point - can't hit righties for beans, but can still mash against lefties. Melky can't hit anything this year, but if he bounces back a little, he might make a passable platoon partner for Cameron.

It's hardly an ideal situation, but might be the best available short-term solution. I don't think Bradley's a center fielder anymore.

ppa79
08-10-08, 10:48 AM
Only regards to starting pitching:
Want:
CC, Sheets, Pettitte
Don't Want
Mussina, Pavano, Igawa, Ponson

I would rather resign Pettitte than Mussina because Pettitte will probably retire if he doesn't resign so no pick. Mussina probably can get a 2 year deal somewhere so we can get 2 picks for him.

genius-24
08-10-08, 11:32 PM
Im against Sheets.

He has had MANY VARIOUS injuries. He pitched 200IP 4 years ago. If we sign him he will be asking for 5+/15+ AT LEAST. He is already 30 and he hasn't pitched in AL. I don't like it.

I would sign Tex if he wants something around 20mil for no more then 7 years. So he should be off the books when he reaches 36. HELL NO to Tex if he doesn't take anything except 10 year deal. I would also look for what Fielder costs. Probably involve likes of Jackon, Montero, etc. With a trade, we wouldn't lose a pick.

wang+cano=future
08-28-08, 09:33 AM
I do NOT want returning next season:

Giambi
Pavano
Abreu
Pudge
Marte (I want the picks while he still has the Type A status)
Melky
Pettitte
Moose (I would rather have the picks)
Kennedy
Hughes (until he can prove he can pitch in the majors)
Ponson
Rasner

Players I WANT Back Next Season:

Jeter
Cano (although his trade value may net us something very valuable in return; a la Soriano)
Nady (in RF)
Damon (in LF)
Matsui (as the DH)
ARod
Posada
Wang
Joba
Mo
Veras
Edwar
Roberston
Melancon

FA's: CC, Texiera, Kotsay or Cameron for CF, Garland (for a reliable #5 starter)

wang+cano=future
08-28-08, 09:36 AM
Im against Sheets.

He has had MANY VARIOUS injuries. He pitched 200IP 4 years ago. If we sign him he will be asking for 5+/15+ AT LEAST. He is already 30 and he hasn't pitched in AL. I don't like it.

I would sign Tex if he wants something around 20mil for no more then 7 years. So he should be off the books when he reaches 36. HELL NO to Tex if he doesn't take anything except 10 year deal. I would also look for what Fielder costs. Probably involve likes of Jackon, Montero, etc. With a trade, we wouldn't lose a pick.

I would much much much rather lose a first round pick than lose Montero or AJax.