PDA

View Full Version : The falling apart thread...

azzurribaggio
04-30-08, 09:28 PM
At least last year we could blame the lack of conditioning during Spring Training...but this year???

We might have an entire starting 9 on the DL soon....

JeterRodriguezSheff
04-30-08, 09:31 PM
Signing Posada to 4 years is basically the mistake the Red Sox made with Varitek.

A-rod was just bad luck.

Hughes may or may not have a real injury.

-tz
04-30-08, 09:34 PM
http://forums.nyyfans.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127 :)

frostdude1
04-30-08, 09:36 PM
http://forums.nyyfans.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127 :)

kinda pointless

NYDCYankee
04-30-08, 09:40 PM
This could easily become a megathread.

E-Rod
04-30-08, 09:40 PM
At least last year we could blame the lack of conditioning during Spring Training...but this year???

We might have an entire starting 9 on the DL soon....

Injuries aren't a good thing to happen with anyone but if this season became a completely failure thanks to them, i hope at least the people in control of the Yankees will learn that a team isn't made only of good/great players, a team to win world series needs good chemistry and the Yankees so far this season is a mirror image of the last years Yankees Playoff teams.

MattUNC2003
04-30-08, 09:43 PM
Like the book by Chinua Achebe? Or the Nine Inch Nails album?

montrealer
05-01-08, 08:11 AM
On the up side......we don`t have to blame Torre for all our failures.

TheShynessClinic
05-01-08, 09:11 AM
Signing Posada to 4 years is basically the mistake the Red Sox made with Varitek.

A-rod was just bad luck.

Hughes may or may not have a real injury.

The Sox signed Varitek to a 4 year, $40 million dollar contract at age 32 in the 2004 offseason.

The Yankees signed Posada to a $52.4 million, four year deal at age 36, in the 2007/08 offseason.

Variteks contract ends when Posada's begins (age wise). It's not even close to the same thing.

Mark19
05-01-08, 09:55 AM
The Sox signed Varitek to a 4 year, $40 million dollar contract at age 32 in the 2004 offseason.

The Yankees signed Posada to a $52.4 million, four year deal at age 36, in the 2007/08 offseason.

Variteks contract ends when Posada's begins (age wise). It's not even close to the same thing.

Except Posada only started catching full-time in his late 20s. He has less mileage and provides enough offensive value to be a 1B/DH when he starts to get creaky.

4bronxbombers
05-01-08, 09:56 AM
On the up side......we don`t have to blame Torre for all our failures.

Oh geezz....he'd be getting hammered if he were here. He still gets hammered by fans when he's not here. :eek:

JimmyTheGent
05-01-08, 10:03 AM

I agree, I think if teh Red Sox could do it all over again they would have signed Varitek to a 5 year deal after the 2004 season. He isn't the same offensive player he was in 2003-2004 but he is still a real good defensive catcher and with the lack of catchers in the pipeline and not many in the free agent market. the mistake the Sox made was NOT giving Varitek a 5 year deal back then, now after this season they will be a tough position, and wit Boras as his agent it will be that much harder.

TheShynessClinic
05-01-08, 10:28 AM
Except Posada only started catching full-time in his late 20s. He has less mileage and provides enough offensive value to be a 1B/DH when he starts to get creaky.

That doesn't change anything. Varitek was signed when he was 32. Posada 36. There is absolutely zero in common between the two, aside from the fact that they are both catchers.

JeterRodriguezSheff
05-01-08, 11:27 AM

Except Posada started to catch a lot later than varitek. So yea it pretty much is the same thing.

JeterRodriguezSheff
05-01-08, 11:29 AM
That doesn't change anything. Varitek was signed when he was 32. Posada 36. There is absolutely zero in common between the two, aside from the fact that they are both catchers.

Yes there is, players play well into their late 30's and early 40's these days. The main thing here is being a catcher takes a big toll on the body. Posada started to catch later on than Varitek and has much less toll on his body than Varitek will at age 36.

youmaddon
05-20-10, 09:52 PM
That doesn't change anything. Varitek was signed when he was 32. Posada 36. There is absolutely zero in common between the two, aside from the fact that they are both catchers.Posada actually has talent, unlike Varitek.

Jeter's Intangibles
05-20-10, 09:58 PM
Posada actually has talent, unlike Varitek.
That C on his chest gives him a few in the intangibles department though

DaBliz
05-20-10, 10:27 PM
Posada's injury could of happened at any age and he's still one of the best offensive catchers in the league. I really don't see too many different ways we could of gone there, considering how our catching prospects were at the time. It's going to work out that his contract ends just as we have guys like Romine and JESUS ready to play at the MLB level. Maybe we could of signed him for less but it's not exactly like we're working with a salary cap.

The Q Bomb
05-21-10, 06:39 AM

A-rod was just bad luck.

Hughes may or may not have a real injury. Are you kidding? Posada has been twice as good as Varitek for the last couple of seasons. Was it a mistake to give the guy a gour year contract three years ago? Yes. But it's the same pig-headed mistake The Yankees always make when it comes to their players. They don't offer extensions when it makes sense and they have the upper hand; they wait too long; let things get acrimonious; and then overpay - or lose the player - a la Andy Pettitte in 2003.

bigjf
05-21-10, 08:43 AM
Considering how 2009 turned out, even if we could go back in time I'd still give Posada that contract.

TheInfallibleOne
05-21-10, 08:48 AM
Posada's injury could of happened at any age and he's still one of the best offensive catchers in the league. I really don't see too many different ways we could of gone there, considering how our catching prospects were at the time. It's going to work out that his contract ends just as we have guys like Romine and JESUS ready to play at the MLB level. Maybe we could of signed him for less but it's not exactly like we're working with a salary cap.

We might need him for 2012 to transition the new guys in. I don't know if he would want to stay on as a part time catcher though.

Hitman23
05-21-10, 08:49 AM
I hate it when the Yanks lose 3 in a row.

pleasepassthesoup
05-22-10, 09:24 PM
Posada actually has talent, unlike Varitek.

It seems odd to bump a two-year-old thread to say this...

azzurribaggio
05-24-10, 04:29 PM
Wholly Thread Revivals BATMAN!!!

hellonewman
05-24-10, 04:39 PM
It seems odd to bump a two-year-old thread to say this...... in reply to a poster who was RO'd a long time ago, no less.

Fee fie foe fum, I smell the blood of a Rays troll.

flymick24
05-24-10, 06:58 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20100519/capt.9131be8c15fa4dc99dc83131f26fc787-e5e4b7ff625b445e99769e1285d9a93e-0.jpg

YankS1302
05-25-10, 08:37 AM
Was this a Team falling apart or Posada injury/contract thread?

hardrain
05-26-10, 09:07 PM
funny how the last few hours have stopped the whining on this thread.
It's called baseball. 162 games. There are ups and downs. If you can't stand the heat....get out of the kitchen.

BroadwayBomber55
05-26-10, 09:25 PM
As Alfred E. Neumann once said...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/21/Alfred_E._Neumann.jpg

Ram Man
05-26-10, 09:27 PM

Well ... both of the wins today were by just one run ...

Karl W
05-27-10, 07:04 AM
Whatever happened to the doomed thread? Much more humorous.

montrealer
05-27-10, 08:13 AM
It's called baseball. 162 games. There are ups and downs. If you can't stand the heat....get out of the kitchen.
With this payroll there`s no excuse to lose any games at all...........:wtf:

aeromac76
05-28-10, 06:42 AM
I should now like to point out, that according to RPI (ratings power index, which factors in strength of schedule as well as record) we are now #1.
For a team who cannot hit, has injury and bullpen concerns, and a number 5 starter who is still a glorious question mark, we have the best opposition winning % weighted record in the whole game,
And now, the toughest part of the sked is behind us.
Things are good.
And they are about to get better.

sweet_lou_14
05-28-10, 06:44 AM
I should now like to point out, that according to RPI (ratings power index, which factors in strength of schedule as well as record) we are now #1.
For a team who cannot hit, has injury and bullpen concerns, and a number 5 starter who is still a glorious question mark, we have the best opposition winning % weighted record in the whole game,
And now, the toughest part of the sked is behind us.
Things are good.
And they are about to get better.

I agree, I feel pretty optimistic. Just a little impatient to see them string together a nice run, especially with inferior opponents over the next two weeks.

The Q Bomb
05-28-10, 07:53 AM
For a team who cannot hit, has injury and bullpen concerns, and a number 5 starter who is still a glorious question mark, we have the best opposition winning % weighted record in the whole game...

What the hell is that? All I know is that the team can't score runs; had a stretch of about two weeks when the starting pitching was very suspect; has very strong competition in its division, one of whom has built a nice lead while we've had a losing record over the past two or three weeks and that team is unlikely to go through any extended losing streak later in the season. So you can point to "RPI", and "% weighted record", but I look at Win-Loss Record and Games Behind - and neither is pretty for The Yanks right now.

The part of your post that I think merits the most attention is that, hopefully, we will turn it around - soon!

R.V.47
05-28-10, 07:56 AM
What the hell is that? All I know is that the team can't score runs; had a stretch of about two weeks when the starting pitching was very suspect; has very strong competition in its division, one of whom has built a nice lead while we've had a losing record over the past two or three weeks and that team is unlikely to go through any extended losing streak later in the season. So you can point to "RPI", and "% weighted record", but I look at Win-Loss Record and Games Behind - and neither is pretty for The Yanks right now.

The part of your post that I think merits the most attention is that, hopefully, we will turn it around - soon!

When was this 2 week period of suspect starting pitching? And since when is a 4.5 game lead on May 28th a comfortable lead in the standings?

NYYDragoon
05-28-10, 08:19 AM
I believe somewhere between aeromac and Q Bomb is a happy medium.

aeromac76
05-28-10, 08:49 AM

What it means is we are due for a correction.
Simple fact is we have played way tougher compeition than TB has, and the RPI shows that. What that number tells us is that if we both played the same exact competition, we'd likely be ahead in the standings. Now while that statement may not do us any good in absolute terms, it is a reasonable predictor. It tells us we have a lot of cupcakes to beat on coming and TB has already feasted on its cupcakes.

As I said in another post, if you look at the schedule past and to come, I stil think Boston is going to give us more trouble than TB. I still believe, come Labor Day, we'll be more uptight and concerned with Boston than with TB.

Think of it in these terms. Lets say the Yankees and Mets both had to play the same 10 games against the same 10 pitchers.
Now of those 10 pitchers, we included Roy Halladay, Tim Lincecum and Ubaldo Jimenez, and the other 7 were complete garbage hurlers. Now let's say the Yankees faced those three pitchers in the first 3 games of our hypothetical series and went 1-2. The Mets did not face any of them yet in their first 3 games and went 2-1 but still had to face them all later on. It would be safe to say the Yankees, despite being behind by a game with just 7 to play, have a monster advantage.
I believe the season between us and TB has taken a similar, extrapolated, feel so far.

NYYDragoon
05-28-10, 08:53 AM
What it means is we are due for a correction.
Sabermetric fallacy: nothing is "due". We are projected to get better by virtue of playing weaker teams, but this guarantees nothing. If Tex and Arod don't start pulling their weight, and if the bullpen doesn't turn it around, we're going to be in trouble.

That being said, I am not anywhere near panic mode yet.

PinstripePride
05-28-10, 08:54 AM
I believe somewhere between aeromac and Q Bomb is a happy medium.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

S2K
05-29-10, 03:53 PM
Today this thread title says it all.

Swishilisious
05-29-10, 04:14 PM
They deserve to miss the playoffs by one game.

BroadwayBomber55
05-29-10, 04:15 PM
They deserve to miss the playoffs by one game.
Nah, they deserve to miss the playoffs because of a shaky bullpen.

Swishilisious
05-29-10, 04:30 PM
What an embarrassment.

mal1219
05-29-10, 04:49 PM
This hurts... I left after 10-5, only to come back for the a bad surprise... Well, let's hope that they win the series 3-1...

BroadwayBomber55
05-29-10, 04:57 PM
Fallin' apart? F that doom and gloom .................

NYYDragoon
05-29-10, 05:29 PM
:lol: at the last six posts. You all should be ashamed of yourselves.

You're not allowed back on the 'wagon when the Yanks take the division, FYI.

BroadwayBomber55
05-29-10, 05:37 PM
:lol: at the last six posts. You all should be ashamed of yourselves.

You're not allowed back on the 'wagon when the Yanks take the division, FYI.
Nah, let's keep them out when they get in the playoffs, win the AL Pennant and the World Series.

If they want back in on the wagon, they need to pay a gazillion bucks.