PDA

View Full Version : 2008 NHL Playoffs Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

26 and counting
05-05-08, 07:46 AM
What a crazy game last night.....It was just a matter of time before we had a classic 4-OT playoff game....Nabakov and Turco played their asses off.....Good stuff

I was screaming when I saw Nabakov's glove save in the 1st OT. That's one of the best saves I've ever seen, especially with his team's season on the line. And Turco made some marvelous saves too. Too bad one of those guys had to lose.

26 and counting
05-05-08, 07:48 AM
I DON'T want Dallas to win b/c of that infamous "in the crease goal".

That was nine years ago. Get over it.

Although, there are Buffalo fans who are still convinced that game isn't over yet.

montrealer
05-05-08, 11:22 AM
Pens in 6
Wings in 6

Wings in 6 to win the Cup

trentonthunder
05-05-08, 11:31 AM
Pens in 6
Wings in 6

Wings in 6 to win the Cup

That's where the smart money will be, however like the previous round, anything
can happen. I honestly think Philadelphia matches up very well against Pittsburgh.
Actually, I think Philadelphia has the better team right now. Crosby is not playing well, but Fluery is. If Biron can match Fluery, then Philadelphia wins. Detroit should win, but I think they will lose.

YankeeGalSC
05-05-08, 11:47 AM
That was nine years ago. Get over it.

Although, there are Buffalo fans who are still convinced that game isn't over yet.

I'm over it, but that doesn't mean I have to like them.

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
05-05-08, 12:26 PM
I've heard plenty of moaning about the refs from my Ranger fan friends. Stop. You lost the series 4-1. Pit was younger, faster, deeper, and more talented. Bottom line. Did some calls go badly? Sure. Can't blame the refs though for pissing away a 3 goal lead on the road in game 1.

YanksFan1992
05-05-08, 01:09 PM
Incredible game last night. :eek:

I will still be paying attention but I really don't care about this year's playoffs much anymore.

BroadwayBomber55
05-05-08, 02:11 PM
BB55's 3-Stars: Series-by-Series

Eastern Conference Semifinals: #2 Pittsburgh Penguins v. #5 New York Rangers

3rd Star of the Series: Jaromir Jagr, NYR: 7 P (3 G, 4 A), 17 SOG

2nd Star of the Series: Evgeni Malkin, PIT: 7 P (4 G, 3 A), 24 SOG, 8 Hits

1st Star of the Series: Marc-Andre Fleury, PIT: 4-1, 2.15 GAA, .924 SV%, 1 SHO

Honorable Mentions

PIT
Sidney Crosby: 6 A, 51.0% Faceoff Wins, 4 Takeaways
Marian Hossa: 5 P (4 G, 1 A), 6 Takeaways
Ryan Malone: 4 P (1 G, 3 A), 26 Hits
Robert Scuderi: 2 A, +4, 10 Blocked Shots, 8 Hits, 2 Takeaways
Jordan Staal: 2 P (1 G, 1 A), +2, 17 Hits, 7 Takeaways

NYR
Marc Staal: 2 A, +1, 10 Hits, 7 Blocked Shots
Michal Rozsival: 4 A, +1, 8 Blocked Shots, 13 Hits, 6 Takeaways
Martin Straka: 4 P (2 G, 2 A), 6 Blocked Shots

AMYanks
05-05-08, 04:32 PM
http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/media/comments/rangers_pens_draws_nbc_to_season_high_ratings/

Rangers-Pens Draws NBC to Season High Ratings

The NHL On NBC drew a 2008 high 1.5/4 for it’s broadcast of Game 5 of the New York Rangers-Pittsburgh Penguins Eastern Conference Quarterfinals series, according to Sports Business Daily (reg. required). It’s the largest audience to watch an indoor hockey game this season on U.S. TV.

Pinstripedbass
05-05-08, 04:41 PM
Anyone wanna bet against this game finishing less than 5 minutes into OT?

LOL at this post the next day.:-poke-:

CanoForPresident
05-05-08, 04:43 PM
LOL at this post the next day.:-poke-:

if you add a 4 in front of OT I was close ;)

Pinstripedbass
05-05-08, 04:44 PM
What a game! I hope this goes four OT's. It's just too much fun to watch.

Detroit's probably hoping for this game AND a potential Game 7 to go multiple OT's. I'm sure then they would take their chances with either team.

It's fun to watch when your team isn't involved.

I was at the Isles-Capitals 4OT game in 1987. I was a WRECK after the game. I didn't get my voice back for 2 days.

Hitman23
05-05-08, 04:46 PM
WHen are the Crosby homers gonna see the truth that Ovechkin is the best player in the NHL. I'm sorry but I'm tired of hearing things like "Crosby is gonna save the sport" and "The best player in the NHL needs to advance in order to get ratings". F*ck that. Crosby is a very good player. He's not the next Lemiuex. Not even close. Not yet. Sports anchors that don't know the sport need to shut their mouths about these things.

Of course I'm a litter bitter the Rangers are eliminated and Crosby is moving on, but seriously, he's not Jesus Crosby just yet.

BroadwayBomber55
05-05-08, 04:46 PM
BB55's 3-Stars: Series-by-Series

Western Conference Semifinals: #2 San Jose Sharks v. #5 Dallas Stars

3rd Star of the Series: Evgeni Nabokov, SJS: 2-4, 1.92 GAA, .918 SV%

2nd Star of the Series: Brenden Morrow, DAL: 5 P (4 G, 1 A), +3, 47 Hits, 6 Takeaways

1st Star of the Series: Mike Turco, DAL: 4-2, 1.51 GAA, .941 SV%

Honorable Mentions

SJS
Milan Michalek: 4 G, +3, 14 Hits
Brian Campbell: 4 P (1 G, 3 A), +4, 8 Blocked Shots, 6 Takeaways
Jonathan Cheechoo: 3 P (1 G, 2 A), +2, 22 Hits, 5 Blocked Shots, 5 Takeaways
Craig Rivet: 3 A, +3, 22 Hits
Joe Thornton: 3 A, +2, 13 Hits, 6 Takeaways, 56.0% Faceoff Wins
Patrick Marleau: 2 G, 16 Hits, 59.0% Faceoff Wins
Joe Pavelski: 2 G, 10 Hits, 15 Blocked Shots, 51.0% Faceoff Wins
Christian Ehrhoff: 2 A, 18 Blocked Shots

DAL
Mike Ribeiro: 6 P (1 G, 5 A), +2, 11 Hits, 10 Takeaways
Brad Richards: 6 P (1 G, 5 A), +1
Stephane Robidas: 2 A, +1, 40 Hits, 14 Blocked Shots
Mattias Nordstrom: 3 P (1 G, 2 A), +2, 13 Blocked Shots
Mike Modano: 4 P (2 G, 2 A), 8 Takeaways
Sergei Zubov: 4 P (1 G, 3 A)
Steve Ott: 21 Hits
Jere Lethinen: 2 G, +2, 5 Takeaways

Pinstripedbass
05-05-08, 04:48 PM
Stars win.

Brenden Morrow with the game-winning goal on the Power Play in the 4OT.

Tough luck for Brian Campbell.

The Dallas Stars advance to the Western Conference Finals as they face the Detroit Red Wings.

Jeez. I woke up for work 2 1/2 hours after this game ended. An epic. Wished I could have stayed up for it but I had to shut it off after the 1st period.:(

Pinstripedbass
05-05-08, 04:54 PM
The semi-finals picks:

Flyers in 6:barf:
Stars in 6.

I would pick the Stars in 5 if they weren't as tired as I think they'll be. I don't think the Red Wings have really been tested in the playoffs. I think they have met their match in the Stars if they have something left in their tank.

The Flyers are getting goaltending, physical play, and scoring from unlikely sources (RJ Umberger???). Flyers will push the Penguins around the way they pushed the Habs.

trentonthunder
05-05-08, 04:57 PM
WHen are the Crosby homers gonna see the truth that Ovechkin is the best player in the NHL. I'm sorry but I'm tired of hearing things like "Crosby is gonna save the sport" and "The best player in the NHL needs to advance in order to get ratings". F*ck that. Crosby is a very good player. He's not the next Lemiuex. Not even close. Not yet. Sports anchors that don't know the sport need to shut their mouths about these things.

Of course I'm a litter bitter the Rangers are eliminated and Crosby is moving on, but seriously, he's not Jesus Crosby just yet.

Don't listen to the media. They have their own agenda. Just watch the games and decide for yourself. And yes, Malkin has outplayed both Crosby and Ovechkin during the playoffs. Then again, RJ Umberger has outplayed Crosby and Ovechkin too.

Hitman23
05-05-08, 05:12 PM
Don't listen to the media. They have their own agenda. Just watch the games and decide for yourself. And yes, Malkin has outplayed both Crosby and Ovechkin during the playoffs. Then again, RJ Umberger has outplayed Crosby and Ovechkin too.I can't help it. the little hockey news that crosses the airwaves peaks my interest. It just aggravates me. I like that ESPN has Barry Melrose do his thing because if it weren't for him there'd be no one that could talk about it intelligently.

I love Mike & Mike but this morning they were just being idiots. if you don't know don't even bother.

BroadwayBomber55
05-05-08, 05:31 PM
Conference Final Schedules

Eastern
(6) Philadelphia Flyers vs. (2) Pittsburgh Penguins

Series tied 0-0

1. Fri, May 9 – at Pit, 7:30 pm EDT (VS., CBC)
2. Sun, May 11 – at Pit, 7:30 pm EDT (VS., CBC)
3. Tue, May 13 – at Phi, 7:30 pm EDT (VS., CBC)
4. Thu, May 15 – at Phi, 7:30 pm EDT (VS., CBC)
*5. Sun, May 18 – at Pit, 3:00 pm EDT (NBC, CBC)
*6. Tue, May 20 – at Phi, 7:30 pm EDT (VS., CBC)
*7. Thu, May 22 – at Pit, 7:30 pm EDT (VS., CBC)

Western
(5) Dallas Stars vs. (1) Detroit Red Wings

Series tied 0-0

1. Thu, May 8 – at Det, 7:30 pm EDT (VS., TSN)
2. Sat, May 10 – at Det, 7:00 pm EDT (VS., CBC)
3. Mon, May 12 – at Dal, 8:00 pm EDT (VS., TSN)
4. Wed, May 14 – at Dal, 8:00 pm EDT (VS., TSN)
*5. Sat, May 17 – at Det, 1:30 pm EDT (NBC, CBC)
*6. Mon, May 19 – at Dal, 8:00 pm EDT (VS., CBC)
*7. Wed, May 21 – at Det, 7:30 pm EDT (VS., CBC)

*=If Necessary

trentonthunder
05-05-08, 05:47 PM
Can the hockey experts here tell me what to expect in the Dallas-Detroit series. I didn't follow that conference very well this year.

CanoForPresident
05-05-08, 05:53 PM
Can the hockey experts here tell me what to expect in the Dallas-Detroit series. I didn't follow that conference very well this year.

Detroit has the edge in Offense, they're a wash on D, Dallas has the edge in goal.

I like Det's Special teams more and Dallas' toughness alot more.

Dallas will wear the Wings out, Dallas in 6.

Tyler Durden
05-05-08, 09:58 PM
I'm also taking Dallas in 6. It seems like every year, Detroit has an unbelievable team on paper, but much like the Sharks, they haven't had all of the pieces come together for them in the playoffs. If the Wings were playing anyone else but the Stars, my money would be on the Wings, but I just think Dallas has the better team from top to bottom. If the Stars keep up this level of play, Morrow won't be 'underrated' much longer.

And as a Flyers fan, I think it's pretty obvious who I'm rooting for in the East. ;)

However, due to my own illogical superstitions, I refuse to make a prediction as to how many games that series will go.

AMYanks
05-06-08, 09:59 AM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080505.wtruth06/BNStory/GlobeSportsHockey/?query=

Don Cherry is taking his commentary and wardrobe south of the border, where he will make regular appearances on ESPN during the NHL's Eastern Conference final.

“I guess they like my jackets,” the Hockey Night in Canada personality said yesterday.

Cherry and Hockey Night host Ron MacLean will leave the CBC's Toronto studio for the road to cover the Philadelphia Flyers-Pittsburgh Penguins series, which will start on Friday.

Cherry will do live hits by remote for ESPN's SportsCentre at the end of each Flyers-Penguins game.

I'm glad ESPN is making a commitment to hockey coverage. This could be good news for ESPN broadcasting hockey again in the future.

trentonthunder
05-06-08, 01:10 PM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080505.wtruth06/BNStory/GlobeSportsHockey/?query=

I'm glad ESPN is making a commitment to hockey coverage. This could be good news for ESPN broadcasting hockey again in the future.

I really appreciate that.

trentonthunder
05-06-08, 01:11 PM
Here's a question. Of the four remaining teams, which is the worst skating team ?
Or, how would you rank the final four skating teams. That would be fine also.

CanoForPresident
05-06-08, 01:41 PM
Here's a question. Of the four remaining teams, which is the worst skating team ?

thats a tough question...

They're all great skating teams....

I'd prolly do it

1. Dallas
2. Philly
3. Pitt
4. Detroit

but you could reverse that and It wouldn't be crazy.

BroadwayBomber55
05-06-08, 01:52 PM
I say

1. Stars
2. Penguins
3. Flyers
4. Red Wings

Good question. They can all skate.

BroadwayBomber55
05-06-08, 01:58 PM
BB55's Eastern Conference Finals Predictions - #2 Pittsburgh Penguins v. #6 Philadelphia Flyers

Pittsburgh Penguins: Key Bulletpoints

- Two elite centers: Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin

- Pens blueliners Sergei Gonchar, Brooks Orpik, Hal Gill, Rob Scuderi v. Daniel Briere, Vaclav Prospal, and Scott Hartnell

- Marc-Andre Fleury playing out of his mind again

- Special teams: they know how to finish

Philadelphia Flyers: Key Bulletpoints

- Everyone contributing including Briere, R.J. Umberger, Mike Richards, Mike Knuble: goals, points, hits, blocked shots, the works

- Braydon Coburn and Kimmo Timonen vs. Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin

- Special teams: both areas will be tested

- Just play hockey: the Flyers receive bad calls, yet they continue to play hockey and win games and series

BB55's Pick: The Philadelphia Flyers have been underdogs throughout the whole postseason. The Penguins do have the slight edge in scoring, their defense is solid, skate very well, like to bang, and Fleury is hot. However, the Flyers are no slouch. The Flyers also have very good scoring, solid defense, they can skate, like to bang, and Biron is also hot. The key though is special teams. The Pens are very lethal on the power play and they can really finish. Can the Flyers stay out of the sin bin and limit their opportunities? Same thing with the Pens. It will be a physical series and this will be the toughest test the Pens will face in this postseason. In a tough call, I gotta go with the underdog, but just slightly. Flyers in 7.

BroadwayBomber55
05-06-08, 02:16 PM
BB55's Western Conference Finals Predictions - #1 Detroit Red Wings v. #5 Dallas Stars

Detroit Red Wings: Key Bulletpoints

- "The Mule" Johan Franzen red hot: not only the Stars have their hands full with Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg, and Nicklas Lidstrom, they have to deal with Franzen and don't forget Tomas Holmstrom

- Which center you got? Niklas Kronwall and the Red Wings blueliners v. the Stars three centers: Mike Ribeiro, Mike Modano, and Brad Richards

- Do the dirty work: Red Wings grit of Kris Draper, Kirk Maltby, Dallas Drake and Darren McCarty

- Ozzie between the pipes, again. Chris Osgood staying sharp

Dallas Stars: Key Bulletpoints

- The three centers of Ribeiro, Modano, and Richards and Brenden Morrow v. the Red Wings blueliners

- Sergei Zubov, Stephane Robidas, and the Stars blueliners v. the Mule and the Red Wings cast

- Marty Turco standing on his head, yet again

- I don't mind the dirty work either: Morrow and Steve Ott

BB55's Pick: This is a matchup between a Detroit Red Wing club who is healthy, rested, and deep v. a Dallas Star club who is red hot and playing with no fear: no fear in Sudden Death OT (3-1 in OT games), no fear against anybody. There are a lot side plots within the whole story: Morrow v. Osgood and Holmstrom v. Turco in front of the net, battles in the corners, special teams, which goalie outplays who, etc. The Wings may have the slight depth advantage, but I'm picking the red hot Stars team by a whisker. Stars in 7.

BroadwayBomber55
05-08-08, 07:18 PM
One period in the books in Game 1 of the Western Conference Finals from Joe Louis Arena...

Detroit Red Wings lead the Dallas Stars 2-0.

Both Red Wing goals are on the Power Play with Brian Rafalski and Johan Franzen the scorers. Franzen has 12 goals in this postseason.

BroadwayBomber55
05-08-08, 07:25 PM
Terrible news for Tyler Durden and Flyer's fans: Flyers D Kimmo Timonen out for the rest of the playoffs with a blood clot in his left ankle.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20080508_Timonen_out_for_playoffs_with_blood_clot.html

AMYanks
05-08-08, 08:43 PM
NHL Playoff Viewership Up 35.5% On Versus Through Two Rounds

Versus averaged 457,955 viewers per game for 41 broadcasts through the first two rounds of the NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs, an increase of 35.5% from 337,888 viewers for 40 broadcasts during the first two rounds in '07. The net also averaged a 0.5 coverage area rating for the first two rounds, up from a 0.4 last year. The net's coverage of 15 second-round games averaged 615,744 viewers, up 55.2% from 396,813 viewers for 17 telecasts last season. Penguins-Rangers Game Four on May 1 averaged a 1.1 coverage area rating and 1.2 million viewers, marking the net's highest-rated and most-viewed NHL telecast. The following lists Versus' most-viewed games for the current Stanley Cup playoffs (THE DAILY).
MOST-VIEWED

BroadwayBomber55
05-09-08, 12:53 AM
The Detroit Red Wings showed off their power with three goals on the Power Play en route to a 4-1 win in Game 1 of the Western Conference Finals against the Dallas Stars.

DET leads Best-of-7 Series, 1-0

BB55's 3-Stars

3rd Star: Nicklas Lidstrom, DET: 2 A, 1 Hit

2nd Star: Niklas Kronwall, DET: 2 A, 3 Hits

1st Star: Tomas Holmstrom, DET: 1 G, 1 A, 2 Hits

Top HM: Chris Osgood, DET: 20 saves on 21 SOG; Brad Stuart, DET: +1, 3 Blocked Shots; Brenden Morrow, DAL: 1 G, +1, 6 Hits

montrealer
05-09-08, 10:35 AM
I say

1. Stars
2. Penguins
3. Flyers
4. Red Wings

Good question. They can all skate.

What do the Blue Jays and Maple Leafs have in common?

Neither team can skate.........overheard this at the Pub

montrealer
05-09-08, 10:35 AM
Looking foward to this series......alot of bad blood here.

These two coaches had a hate fest going in the minors......

sprucemoose
05-09-08, 10:56 AM
What do the Blue Jays and Maple Leafs have in common?

Neither team can skate.........overheard this at the Pub

http://images.pensionplanpuppets.com/images/admin/Price_Beachball.jpeg

CanoForPresident
05-09-08, 01:17 PM

:lol:

trentonthunder
05-09-08, 04:51 PM

OK, so I'm sitting here at my computer having a bagel and coffee, and all of a sudden I almost spit half my bagel onto the computer screen. That is seriously funny.

trentonthunder
05-09-08, 04:57 PM
I expect Philly to give the Pens a good series. Philadelphia in 7 could happen.
Fluery will not have a great series. Philly gets pucks to the net and looks for garbage.
They've been doing it all year. That's why their power play is so good, because it is so bloody simple. Just throw it to the net with a screen and look for the rebound.

I think the key to the series for Philly is D. Hatcher. They more I watch him, the more I see that no one gets by him. His positioning is phenomal, and most of us can skate faster then him.

The key to Pittsburgh is obviously Malkin. He'll have to carry the team, because either Sidney is still hurting, or just isn't playing well.

Good luck Philadelphia. I hope you guys win, but Pittsburgh would be ok too.
Detroit is going to be one tough cookie for you guys.

montrealer
05-09-08, 05:14 PM
:-notfunny .....

gdn
05-09-08, 09:07 PM
Pens win 4-2. Two goals by Malkin, one by Crosby. Richards scored both for the Flyers.

wang+cano=future
05-09-08, 09:25 PM
Nice win for the Pens tonight. Hopefully they can keep it going. I think it is very important for them to win both in Pitt. since Philli is such a freaking hostile place to play.

Tyler Durden
05-09-08, 09:26 PM
Pens win 4-2. Two goals by Malkin, one by Crosby. Richards scored both for the Flyers.

That was a tough game to watch tonight, as both teams looked rusty. The Flyers clearly missed Kimmo Timonen tonight, as there were countless positional misques and horrible passing in their defensive end. Richards was Philly's best player tonight, and the fact that Briere disappeared tonight has me slightly concerned, but not as much as their poor play in their own zone.

The good news if you're rooting for the Flyers is that even with the entire team looking rusty and often out of sync, they still had several chances late in the game to tie it. They'd better straighten their defensive pairings out by Sunday (asking Randy Jones to log Timonen's shifts is not the answer), because I really believe Philly must steal 1 of these games in Pittsburgh if they plan on winning this series.

YanksFan1992
05-09-08, 09:28 PM
Even though I hate them, I've decided that I just have to root for Philly in this series. :o

ALR83
05-10-08, 02:37 AM
Even though I hate them, I've decided that I just have to root for Philly in this series. :o

Me too. The thought of the Penguins winning makes me want to throw up.

trentonthunder
05-10-08, 05:18 AM
D. Hatcher did not play great for Philly. He was the one who allowed Malkin that 10 foot wrist shot instead of diving to block his attempt. That shot put the Pens up 3-2. And yes, Jones is doing his best, but he is no Timmonen. The Flyers will not be able to adjust without Timmonen IMO. I believe it is game, set, and match based on what I saw last night.

However, if Umberger, Briere, and Carter wake up, then the Pens will have their hands full.

What's really exciting about this series is that it feels like a world junior tournament.
So many young Canadians kids that you feel like Team Canada is playing out there sometimes.

AMYanks
05-10-08, 06:37 AM
http://sportsmediawatch.blogspot.com/2008/05/rangerspenguins-game-5-puts-up-big.html

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports NBC drew 2.3 million viewers for the Penguins' overtime victory over the Rangers, the second most viewed game of the season, behind only the Winter Classic on January 1. The last time an NHL Playoff telecast drew more viewers was May 10, 2003, when Mighty Ducks/Wild Game 1 drew 2.4 million viewers on ABC.

trentonthunder
05-10-08, 06:39 AM
Did anyone see the hit Richards put on Malkin ? Anyone got a link ?

AMYanks
05-10-08, 06:39 AM
Wings are struggling to sell tickets.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080509.wspt-sports-biz-col-09/GSStory/GlobeSportsHockey/?page=rss&id=RTGAM.20080509.wspt-sports-biz-col-09

ALR83
05-10-08, 07:17 AM

I didn't, I didn't see the game. But I love him for it anyway. :lol: I heard Malkin tried to slew foot someone again, or it looked like that's what he may have been going for. I don't know but I can't stand that crap so I'll be thrilled to see anyone put him on his ass.

Boogiedown Bomber
05-10-08, 07:35 AM
Wings are struggling to sell tickets.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080509.wspt-sports-biz-col-09/GSStory/GlobeSportsHockey/?page=rss&id=RTGAM.20080509.wspt-sports-biz-col-09

So much for "Hockeytown, USA" eh?

BroadwayBomber55
05-10-08, 10:34 AM
BB55's 3-Stars: Game 1 - Eastern Conference Finals: PIT 4, PHI 2

3rd Star: Mike Richards, PHI: 2 G, +1, 5 SOG, 6 Hits, 64.0% Faceoff Wins

2nd Star: Marc-Andre Fleury, PIT: 26 saves on 28 SOG

1st Star: Evgeni Malkin, PIT: 2 G, 1 A, +3, 4 SOG, 5 Hits, 1 Takeaway

Top HM: Sidney Crosby, PIT: 1 G, +3, 50.0% Faceoff Wins; Petr Sykora, PIT: 1 G, +2; Brooks Orpik, PIT: +1, 6 Hits; Sergei Gonchar, PIT: 1 A, +2, 4 Blocked Shots; Marian Hossa, PIT: 1 A, +2, 3 Hits; Ryan Malone, PIT: 1 A, +2, 3 SOG, 5 Hits; R.J. Umberger, PHI: 2 A, +2, Joffrey Lupul, PHI: 1 A, +2, 4 SOG, Lukas Kukkonen, PHI: +2, 2 Blocked Shots, 4 Hits

Kluivert4Ever
05-10-08, 01:40 PM
1 down 3 to go... Get the Flyers out of here.

BroadwayBomber55
05-10-08, 06:52 PM
The Detroit Red Wings take a 2-1 1st Intermission lead in Game 2 of the Western Conference Finals against the Dallas Stars.

The Red Wings are playing without Johan Franzen who has concussion-like symptoms.

Both teams are 1 for 1 on the Power Play, but the Red Wings are outshooting the Stars 12-4.

Scoring Summary

1st Period
Detroit 5:56, Darren Helm 1 (Jiri Hudler)
Dallas 10:41, Stephane Robidas 2 (power play) (Mike Ribeiro, Jere Lehtinen)
Detroit 15:13, Henrik Zetterberg 8 (power play) (Pavel Datsyuk, Tomas Holmstrom)

PlsDontTearDownY.S.
05-10-08, 07:10 PM

Malkin is incredible. There's no stopping the Pens...too fast, too deep, too dangerous. All they need to do now is continue to dust the Flyers.

BroadwayBomber55
05-10-08, 07:51 PM
2 periods in the books from the Joe

Detroit Red Wings 2, Dallas Stars 1

The Red Wings dominating the faceoff circle, 31-6 thru 2.

BroadwayBomber55
05-10-08, 08:37 PM
Marty Turco kept the Dallas Stars in Game 2 of their Western Conference Finals encounter vs. the Detroit Red Wings, but the Stars came up short.

Final Score from Detroit's Joe Louis Arena

Detroit Red Wings 2, Dallas Stars 1

DET leads Best-of-7 Series, 2-0.

BB55's 3-Stars

3rd Star: Brad Stuart, DET: 2 Blocked Shots, 3 Blocked Shots

2nd Star: Marty Turco, DAL: 32 saves on 34 SOG

1st Star: Henrik Zetterberg, DET: 1 G, 7 SOG, 69.0% Faceoff Wins

Top HM: Stephane Robidas, DAL: 1 G, 4 Hits; Tomas Holmstrom, DET: 1 A, 3 Hits; Darren Helm, DET: 1 G, +1, Valtteri Filppula, DET: 2 Takeaways, 63.0% Faceoff Wins

Boogiedown Bomber
05-11-08, 06:07 AM
What was the deal with Ribierio's slash on Chris Osgood???

AMYanks
05-11-08, 03:35 PM

The replay I saw, Osgood stuck his stick out when Ribiero was skating by him. Most replays only showed Ribiero's retaliation. Still, an unfortunate way to end a good game.

BroadwayBomber55
05-11-08, 05:58 PM
Here's the clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvIJtpxuSuQ

Steve Ott, Mike Ribeiro, and Chris Osgood were fined, not suspended.

Watch the butt end of Osgood's stick. It clipped Ribeiro and then Ribeiro retailated with a slash on Osgood.

BroadwayBomber55
05-11-08, 07:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15MIy6jKeVE

And then Evgeni Malkin was left all alone and scored.

BroadwayBomber55
05-11-08, 07:29 PM
One period in the books from Mellon Arena.

Sidney Crosby scores the only goal in the first 20 minutes. It was a Power Play goal.

Pittsburgh Penguins 1, Philadelphia Flyers 0

BroadwayBomber55
05-11-08, 08:38 PM
Two periods in the books from Mellon Arena

The Pittsburgh Penguins and Philadelphia Flyers are tied 2-2 after 40 minutes.

Jeff Carter tied the game at 1-1 on the Power Play. Marian Hossa gave the Pens a 2-1 on the Power Play. Mike Richards ties it for the Flyers with a shorthanded goal.

gdn
05-11-08, 09:26 PM
The Pens win, 4-2. Talbot scored the winning goal and Staal sealed it with an empty-netter.

BroadwayBomber55
05-11-08, 09:37 PM
The Pens win, 4-2. Talbot scored the winning goal and Staal sealed it with an empty-netter.
Great game all around from both teams.

But the Pens scored one more Power Play goal than the Flyers and once again, Daniel Briere didn't score a single point.

BroadwayBomber55
05-11-08, 09:43 PM
BB55's 3-Stars: Game 2 - Eastern Conference Finals: PIT 4, PHI 2

3rd Star: Mike Richards, PHI: 1 G, 4 Blocked Shots, 4 Hits, 63.0% Faceoff Wins

2nd Star: Max Talbot, PIT: 1 G, +1

1st Star: Sidney Crosby, PIT: 1 G, 1 A, 50.0% Faceoff Wins

Top HM: Sergei Gonchar, PIT: 3 A, 2 Hits; Hal Gill, PIT: 2 Blocked Shots, 2 Hits; Jarrko Ruutu, PIT: 3 Blocked Shots, 3 Hits; Ryan Malone, PIT: 8 Hits; Jordan Staal, PIT: 1 G, +1, 60.0% Faceoff Wins; Gary Roberts and Georges Laraque, PIT: 1 A, +1 each; Jeff Carter, PHI: 1 G, 8 SOG, 64.0% Faceoff Wins; Jason Smith, PHI: +1, 5 Hits, 2 Blocked Shots

YanksFan1992
05-11-08, 09:51 PM
I'm glad we (Rangers) at least won Game 4 or Pittsburgh would be cruising along at 10-0 in the playoffs. :eek:

In my opinion, with the way the Penguins are playing it will be vary hard for the Flyers to win this series.

Tyler Durden
05-11-08, 10:00 PM
Great game all around from both teams.

But the Pens scored one more Power Play goal than the Flyers and once again, Daniel Briere didn't score a single point.

After watching Briere for a while now, I can say that his ability to disappear on the ice is a double-edged sword. Earlier in the playoffs, defenders would lose track of him behind the net, which allowed Prospal & Co. to feed him when he would slip away from traffic or allowed him to cash in on rebound goals. But, then you have games like tonight, in which Briere was seemingly out-muscled in the corners and didn't have a single point (although he came close on a wrap-around attempt) and it makes Flyers fans like me scratch our heads. I guess it's something we fans will have to live with.

Even though I would've loved to see Philly steal one in Pittsburgh, I am happy with how much better they played tonight. Hatcher stepped up his game on defense in a big way after Braydon Coburn's injury (that tripping penalty when he stood Malkin up was BS, by the way), but Philly still looked lost on the Powerplay without Timonen quarterbacking them. This is definitely a tough loss, but having the series go back to Philly will hopefully spark them.

Kluivert4Ever
05-12-08, 07:12 AM
2 down 2 to go, soon the scums from Philly will be out of here.

montrealer
05-12-08, 07:22 AM
Great game.........Pens ned to win the Cup so they can dis-mantle the team seeing that their going to be a Salary Cap Nightmare.

BroadwayBomber55
05-12-08, 08:26 PM
Currently from American Airlines Arena, it's tied 2-2 between the Detroit Red Wings and Dallas Stars with 10:31 to go 2nd Period.

Pavel Datsyuk scored 2 goals for the Wings, but goals from Nicklas Grossman and Brad Richards scored for the Stars to tie it up.

YanksFan1992
05-12-08, 09:42 PM
Detroit has defeated Dallas 5-2 and now has a 3-0 series lead.

BroadwayBomber55
05-12-08, 09:52 PM
Detroit has defeated Dallas 5-2 and now has a 3-0 series lead.
Total domination by the Detroit Red Wings tonight against the Dallas Stars.

Even when Johan Franzen was out for a second straight game, the Wings found more contributors. Pavel Datsyuk had a hat trick. Brian Rafalski had 2 assists. Henrik Zetterberg had three points. Jiri Hudler scored a goal. Darren McCarty had an assist.

Brad Richards scored a goal and Mike Modano had an assist for the Stars, but no points for Mike Ribeiro.

BB55's 3-Stars

3rd Star: Brian Rafalski, DET: 2 A, +2, 1 Blocked Shots

2nd Star: Henrik Zetterberg, DET: 1 G, 2 A, +3, 3 Takeaways, 59.0% Faceoff Wins

1st Star: Pavel Datsyuk, DET: Hat Trick, +4, 3 Takeaways

Top HM: Kris Draper, DET: 3 Hits, 61.0% Faceoff Wins; Jiri Hudler, DET: 1 G; Niklas Kronvall, DET: 1 A, +1; Nicklas Grossman, DAL: 1 G, +1

trentonthunder
05-13-08, 07:26 AM
Too bad Timmonem and Coburn are out. The series could be 2-0 Philly if they were in. However, with both those guys out, Philly could lose in four. Too much to overcome IMO.

RhodyYanksFan
05-13-08, 09:55 AM
Loved hearing the Philly coach complain about the refs too. Glad to know it wasn't just the Rangers that felt the Pens were being catered to.

BroadwayBomber55
05-13-08, 07:21 PM
One period in the books from the Wachovia Center in South Philly.

Pittsburgh Penguins 2, Philadelphia Flyers 1

Ryan Whitney (PPG) and Marian Hossa the goal scorers for the Penguins while R.J. Umberger scores the lone goal for the Flyers.
Daniel Briere scores a point with an assist on the R.J. Umberger goal.

ALR83
05-13-08, 09:04 PM
No one is beating Pittsburgh. Hand them the Cup now.

wang+cano=future
05-13-08, 09:06 PM
Loved hearing the Philly coach complain about the refs too. Glad to know it wasn't just the Rangers that felt the Pens were being catered to.

How did the Penguins get catered to in that game? They called the hooks both ways.

YanksFan1992
05-13-08, 09:08 PM
Wow, these last two rounds sure have been exciting, eh? :lol:

BroadwayBomber55
05-13-08, 09:40 PM
Wow, these last two rounds sure have been exciting, eh? :lol:
It has been a snoozefest in both Conference finals.

The Pens dominating the Flyers. Pittsburgh won Game 3, 4-1.

Looks like a Red Wings v. Penguins Stanley Cup Final unless something changes.

Other than 3 Game 7s in Round 1 and Game 6 of the Dallas Stars v. San Jose Sharks series, the playoffs have been all Pittsburgh and all Detroit.

BroadwayBomber55
05-13-08, 09:59 PM
BB55's 3-Stars: Eastern Conference Finals - Game 4: PIT 4, PHI 1

3rd Star: Marian Hossa, PIT: 2 G, +1

2nd Star: Hal Gill, PIT: 1 A, +2, 2 Blocked Shots, 2 Hits, 2 Takeaways

1st Star: 2 A, +2, 1 Blocked Shot, 2 Hits

Top HM: Ryan Malone, PIT: 1 G, 3 Hits, 1 Takeaway; Sergei Gonchar, PIT: 1 A, +1, 1 Blocked Shot; Ryan Whitney, PIT: 1 G, 2 Blocked Shots; R.J. Umberger, PHI: 1 G, +1

Tyler Durden
05-13-08, 10:10 PM
How did the Penguins get catered to in that game? They called the hooks both ways.

-Hatcher standing up Malkin was NOT a hooking penalty and should never have been called.

-Malkin's elbow to Briere WAS a penalty, and was not called.

Now, I know the refs won't catch everything that happens on the ice, but It did seem like Malkin & Co got the benefit of the doubt in that game, especially with the two blown calls listed above (even Versus pointed this out, for f*** sake).

With that being said, the officiating is near the bottom of the list as to why Philly is now down 3-nil. Their offense hasn't been able to cycle on the powerplay, hasn't been able to outwork Pittsburgh in the corners, and hasn't been able to make crisp passes through the neutral zone to loosen Pittsburgh's D or crash the net effectively. I'm missing Simon Gagne bigtime right now. :(

BroadwayBomber55
05-13-08, 10:25 PM
With that being said, the officiating is near the bottom of the list as to why Philly is now down 3-nil. Their offense hasn't been able to cycle on the powerplay, hasn't been able to outwork Pittsburgh in the corners, and hasn't been able to make crisp passes through the neutral zone to loosen Pittsburgh's D or crash the net effectively. I'm missing Simon Gagne bigtime right now. :(
Daniel Briere finally scored a point, ditto for Vaclav Prospal, but too much depth in scoring from the Pens.

The Pens are outplaying them in all areas: the corners, offense, defense, goaltending, special teams, etc.

The Flyers are missing Simon Gagne. They also miss Braydon Coburn and Kimmo Timonen as well.

AMYanks
05-13-08, 10:28 PM
The Cup final is looking like it'll be great. With the way these two are playing, it could be a 7 game series with each game being extremely close and competitive, with a few OTs.

Probably will get the biggest ratings for the NHL since the Cup finals returned to broadcast TV in '95.

BroadwayBomber55
05-13-08, 10:29 PM
The Atlantic Division is showing why they're the toughest division in the NHL this season.

Either the Pens or Flyers will make the Stanley Cup finals.
Ok, they played each other every round.

My division rankings

1. Atlantic
2. Pacific
3. Central
4. Northeast
5. Northwest
6. Southeast

RhodyYanksFan
05-13-08, 10:29 PM
It has been a snoozefest in both Conference finals.

The Pens dominating the Flyers. Pittsburgh won Game 3, 4-1.

Looks like a Red Wings v. Penguins Stanley Cup Final unless something changes.

Other than 3 Game 7s in Round 1 and Game 6 of the Dallas Stars v. San Jose Sharks series, the playoffs have been all Pittsburgh and all Detroit.

Other then Philly beating Montreal, there hasn't been any real unremarkable runs. Pretty straightforward and boring. At least a team from a city that actually has a winter will win the Cup this year for a change.

BroadwayBomber55
05-13-08, 10:32 PM
Other then Philly beating Montreal, there hasn't been any real unremarkable runs. Pretty straightforward and boring. At least a team from a city that actually has a winter will win the Cup this year for a change.
Also, three series that went to a Game 7, 2 games that went multiple OTs. That's pretty much it right now.

RhodyYanksFan
05-13-08, 10:33 PM
-Hatcher standing up Malkin was NOT a hooking penalty and should never have been called.

-Malkin's elbow to Briere WAS a penalty, and was not called.

Now, I know the refs won't catch everything that happens on the ice, but It did seem like Malkin & Co got the benefit of the doubt in that game, especially with the two blown calls listed above (even Versus pointed this out, for f*** sake).

Yeah, the Pens have outplayed their opponents throughout the playoffs, but that still doesn't mean that for 3 rounds now they've been the darlings of the refs. It was painfully obvious in the Rangers series. I won't say it cost the Rangers games, but between the Sydney dive in game 1, the super-quick-whistle/no-goal in game 2 and the Drury high stick in game 5, it was clear who the refs were favoring. But like I said, even if that weren't true the Pens still would have likely moved on just based on talent and performance.

AMYanks
05-14-08, 03:31 AM
Game 2 of Flyers/Penguins got a 1.7 on VERSUS. 2.3 million viewers, network record.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/media/comments/going_deeper_on_the_versus_ratings/

BroadwayBomber55
05-14-08, 07:58 PM
No score after 1 period between the Detroit Red Wings and Dallas Stars.

The Stars are outshooting the Red Wings, 9-5, but they're 0-3 on the Power Play.

26 and counting
05-14-08, 08:25 PM
The Red Wings just got screwed by the refs. There's no way that guy was in the crease, let alone interfering with Turco. It should be 1-0 Wings.

BroadwayBomber55
05-14-08, 08:38 PM
The Red Wings just got screwed by the refs. There's no way that guy was in the crease, let alone interfering with Turco. It should be 1-0 Wings.
It should be 1-1 after two.

That was a bad call against Tomas Holmstrom. Holmstrom is known for standing in front of the net to screen the goalie. He wasn't even in the crease and didn't touch Marty Turco.

Instead, the Dallas Stars lead after two, 1-0 on a goal from Loui Eriksson.

BroadwayBomber55
05-14-08, 09:07 PM
Hopefully, Steve Downie isn't your guy in the Conn Smythe pool

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/nhl_experts/post/Hopefully-Steve-Downie-isn-t-your-guy-in-the-Co;_ylt=AkkMjIljwVXPqljW0ZTS5gt7vLYF?urn=nhl,82376

There's also a clip of Downie's hit away from the play on Petr Sykora.

BroadwayBomber55
05-14-08, 09:54 PM
Sweep averted. The Dallas Stars forced a Game 5 back at the Joe with a 3-1 win over the Detroit Red Wings in Game 4 of the Western Conference Finals.

DET leads Best-of-7 Series, 3-1.

BB55's 3-Stars

3rd Star: Mike Modano, DAL: 1 G, 3 Takeaways

2nd Star: Brenden Morrow, DAL: 1 G, +1, 4 Hits, 2 Blocked Shots, 7 Takeaways

1st Star: Marty Turco, DAL: 33 saves on 34 SOG

Top HM: Mike Ribeiro, DAL: 1 A, +2, 3 Takeaways, 91.0% Faceoff Wins; Stephane Robidas, DAL: 1 A, 6 Blocked Shots; Sergei Zubov, DAL: 2 A, +1; Mattias Nordstrom, DAL: 4 Blocked Shots, 2 Hits; Nicklas Grossman, DAL: 3 Blocked Shots, 2 Hits; Henrik Zetterberg, DET: 1 G, 3 Blocked Shots, 67.0% Faceoff Wins; Chris Chelios, DET: 3 Blocked Shots

CanoForPresident
05-14-08, 10:26 PM
Hopefully, Steve Downie isn't your guy in the Conn Smythe pool

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/nhl_experts/post/Hopefully-Steve-Downie-isn-t-your-guy-in-the-Co;_ylt=AkkMjIljwVXPqljW0ZTS5gt7vLYF?urn=nhl,82376

There's also a clip of Downie's hit away from the play on Petr Sykora.

Late hit, there is no room for that in the game.

Although if Downie was going to do that to someone, I wish it was Crosby instead of Sykora.

wang+cano=future
05-15-08, 08:05 AM
Late hit, there is no room for that in the game.

Although if Downie was going to do that to someone, I wish it was Crosby instead of Sykora.

Thank God Sykora wasn't hurt on that play. He was holding his arm in a weird way which made me vey nervous.

It was a non-call by the refs too for all you who think the Penguins get every call.

wang+cano=future
05-15-08, 08:06 AM

I guess the refs secretly want the Stars to win.

CanoForPresident
05-15-08, 06:11 PM
Thank God Sykora wasn't hurt on that play. He was holding his arm in a weird way which made me vey nervous.

It was a non-call by the refs too for all you who think the Penguins get every call.

It was no worse than the forearm Malkickin threw at Briere.

that also went uncalled.

wang+cano=future
05-15-08, 06:39 PM
It was no worse than the forearm Malkickin threw at Briere.

that also went uncalled.

I agree Malkin's play wasn't called for either. I was just pointing out that the refs have no-calls on both sides.

26 and counting
05-15-08, 09:41 PM
Philadelphia stays alive, forcing the series back to Pittsburgh for Game 5 with a 4-2 victory.

Tyler Durden
05-15-08, 09:44 PM
Flyers win, 4-2!

I had plans with girl-face tonight, so I missed the first half of the game. But from what I saw, Philly played THEIR game against the Pens tonight, doing everything that they haven't been able to do in the first 3 games (forecheck effectively, crash the net, fewer giveaways, score on the powerplay) and for the first time this series, Crosby and Co. looked rattled.

The fight at the end with Hatcher and Malone was a good one, and I was hoping the refs would let Richards and Crosby duke it out, but they were pretty quick to protect Sid (no surprise). I know that the odds of winning the series are stacked against the Flyers right now, but tonight I saw for the first time in this series the style of play that has carried the Flyers to within 7 wins of the Cup. Here's looking foward to game 5...

:gulp::D

BroadwayBomber55
05-15-08, 09:58 PM
Flyers win, 4-2!

I had plans with girl-face tonight, so I missed the first half of the game. But from what I saw, Philly played THEIR game against the Pens tonight, doing everything that they haven't been able to do in the first 3 games (forecheck effectively, crash the net, fewer giveaways, score on the powerplay) and for the first time this series, Crosby and Co. looked rattled.

The fight at the end with Hatcher and Malone was a good one, and I was hoping the refs would let Richards and Crosby duke it out, but they were pretty quick to protect Sid (no surprise). I know that the odds of winning the series are stacked against the Flyers right now, but tonight I saw for the first time in this series the style of play that has carried the Flyers to within 7 wins of the Cup. Here's looking foward to game 5...

:gulp::D
Joffrey Lupul, Derian Hatcher, Randy Jones, and Martin Biron had strong games for the Flyers tonight.

BroadwayBomber55
05-15-08, 10:00 PM
BB55's 3-Stars: Eastern Conference Finals - Game 4: PHI 4, PIT 2

3rd Star: Jordan Staal, PIT: 2 G, 60.0% Faceoff Wins

2nd Star: Joffrey Lupul, PHI: 2 G, +1, 7 SOG, 2 Takeaways

1st Star: Martin Biron, PHI: 36 saves on 38 SOG

Top HM: Daniel Briere, PHI: 1 G, 3 Hits; Scott Hartnell, PHI: 3 A, +1, 3 Hits, 1 Takeaway; Derian Hatcher, PHI: +1, 3 Blocked Shots, 4 Hits; Randy Jones, PHI: 1 A, +1; Jeff Carter, PHI: 1 G, 2 Takeaways; Lukas Kukkonen, PHI: 4 Blocked Shots; Marc-Andre Fleury, PIT: 30 saves on 33 SOG; Hal Gill, PIT: 3 Blocked Shots; Pascual Dupuis, PIT: 4 Hits; Brooks Orpik, PIT: 5 Blocked Shots; Max Talbot and Tyler Kennedy, PIT: 2 A each

trentonthunder
05-16-08, 05:31 AM
Malkin has been very quiet lately, but so has Umberger. RJ has been downright bad this series. Is there any doubt that Richards is the best player from both teams this series ?

Not only did they protect Crosby, but they protected Malone when Hatcher got his jersey over his head.

I will be very suprised if the Flyers win the next one, even though they are playing with the Pens. Flyers could be up 3-1 if not for missing those two D.

wang+cano=future
05-16-08, 07:15 AM
Ahh well I had a feeling the Flyers would come out strong in that game with them on the brink of elimination. Hopefully the Pens can take care of business at home in Game 5 so they don't have to go back to Philli.

BroadwayBomber55
05-17-08, 12:39 PM
Philadelphia Flyers D Kimmo Timonen could be back for Game 5

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AsLTIb.N0XlXWmHLmuJNV6J7vLYF?slug=ap-flyers-injureddefensemen&prov=ap&type=lgns

BroadwayBomber55
05-17-08, 01:49 PM
Currently, the Dallas Stars lead the Detroit Red Wings, 2-1 13:07 2nd.

1st Period
Dallas 9:21, Trevor Daley 1 (Brad Richards, Niklas Hagman)
Detroit 15:30, Jiri Hudler 4 (power play) (Niklas Kronwall, Valtteri Filppula)

2nd Period
Dallas 6:04, Joel Lundqvist 2 (Marty Turco)

BroadwayBomber55
05-17-08, 02:15 PM
Two periods in the books from the Joe

Dallas Stars 2, Detroit Red Wings 1

BroadwayBomber55
05-17-08, 02:15 PM
Preakness Stakes Alert:

If the Detroit Red Wings v. Dallas Stars Game goes to overtime and NBC overlaps it with the Preakness Stakes race, you can watch the finish of the game on Versus. ;)

YanksFan1992
05-17-08, 06:43 PM
Dallas has won Game 5 in Detroit 2-1 and cut the Red Wings series lead to 3-2.

Game 6 will be on Monday in Dallas.

njdhockey
05-17-08, 08:59 PM
I don't see the Red Wings choking. I expect them to win game 6 and even if they lose it, they'll win game 7.

BroadwayBomber55
05-17-08, 10:49 PM
Marty Turco came up huge for the Stars in Game 5 in his first professional win at Joe Louis Arena.

There are some worrying signs for the Detroit Red Wings as they played another game without their leading scorer Johan Franzen.

Can the Dallas Stars pull it off? If Marty Turco keeps playing like he did in Games 4 and 5, they have a shot. The Stars also might have Jere Lehtinen and Stu Barnes back for this series.

BroadwayBomber55
05-17-08, 10:53 PM
BB55's 3-Stars: Western Conference Finals - Game 5: DAL 2, DET 1

3rd Star: Jiri Hudler, DET: 1 G

2nd Star: Joel Lundqvist, DAL: 1 G, +1, 3 Hits

1st Star: Marty Turco, DAL: 38 saves on 39 SOG

Top HM: Stephane Robidas, DAL: 3 Blocked Shots, 3 Hits; Trevor Daley, DAL: 1 G, +2, 2 Blocked Shots

dino26
05-18-08, 06:28 AM
Hey guys new to the NHL , need to choose a team can you guys help me.

Was also thinking of the Rangers , because my soccer team is Glasgow Rangers and the legend of ice hockey Gretzky played for them .

This is how im feeling to be honest

Rangers - because of them being red white blue

Senators - Cause of their jersey , although im not feeling the fact that they have too many oldies

Penguins - I like the fact that they have a really good young talent in Sidney Crosby

Flyers - Have a cool jersey and one of the other users on another board said they have a good young team

Tabata
05-18-08, 07:11 AM
Sounds like the Rangers would be the best fit for you.

1) They have the same name as your favorite soccer team.
2) They play in New York, so if you ever go there, you can go and see both the Yankees and Rangers.
3) You wouldn't have to go to any Penguins or Flyers boards to talk about them. You could just come here and talk about the Yankees at the same time.

By the way, some of your Rangers fans cost us a parade in Manchester if we win the CL. Pricks! :P

dino26
05-18-08, 08:46 AM
Sounds like the Rangers would be the best fit for you.

1) They have the same name as your favorite soccer team.
2) They play in New York, so if you ever go there, you can go and see both the Yankees and Rangers.
3) You wouldn't have to go to any Penguins or Flyers boards to talk about them. You could just come here and talk about the Yankees at the same time.

By the way, some of your Rangers fans cost us a parade in Manchester if we win the CL. Pricks! :P

Sorry about that please dont call them fans regard them as thugs more like .

Are the Rangers any good though ? who are their best players are they all oldies . Im sort of sinkin towards flyers a bit.

montrealer
05-18-08, 09:09 AM

Was also thinking of the Rangers , because my soccer team is Glasgow Rangers and the legend of ice hockey Gretzky played for them .

Senators - Cause of their jersey , although im not feeling the fact that they have too many oldies

Penguins - I like the fact that they have a really good young talent in Sidney Crosby

Flyers - Have a cool jersey and one of the other users on another board said they have a good young team

Montreal Canadians...........24 Stanley Cup ,bright future with many young players coming up.........but that`s just me;)

dino26
05-18-08, 11:41 AM
Montreal Canadians...........24 Stanley Cup ,bright future with many young players coming up.........but that`s just me;)

Thanks but its between those 4 teams

YanksFan1992
05-18-08, 12:05 PM
Sorry about that please dont call them fans regard them as thugs more like .

Are the Rangers any good though ? who are their best players are they all oldies . Im sort of sinkin towards flyers a bit.

I'm a Rangers fan but I'll try to be a little unbiased here.

Unless you want to be considered a bandwagoner don't root for the Pens as they are the "hot" young team and most fans new to the sports might pick them. Also, I would suggest not rooting for Ottawa as they seem to be on the way down and are not a popular team so are unlikely to be on tv much.

-------------------------------------

So if it's between Philadelphia and New York here's some background.

Philadelphia Flyers:

Background:
The Philadelphia Flyers are a professional team based in Philadelphia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia), Pennsylvania (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania). They are members of the Atlantic Division (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Division_%28NHL%29) of the Eastern Conference (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Conference_%28NHL%29) of the National Hockey League (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League) (NHL). Part of the 1967 NHL Expansion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_NHL_Expansion), the Flyers were the first of these expansion teams to win the Stanley Cup (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Cup) in 1974 and again in 1975. Despite five return trips to the Stanley Cup Finals, the Flyers have not won the Cup since. The Flyers are referred to as the "Broadstreet Bullies" as throughout their history (especially the 70's) they have been known to play very rough and very dirty.

Current Team:
The Flyers were one of the worst teams in the NHL last year but they have had a miraculous turnaround and are now in this year's conference finals (but are down 3-1 in the best of 7 series). They have quite a few good players such as Daniel Briere, Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, Kimmo Timonen, Simon Gagne and Martin Biron. Richards and Carter are very young (23) while Gagne is only 28 (the other 3 are 30 or older).
-----------------------------------

New York Rangers:

Background:
The New York Rangers are a professional ice hockey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hockey) team based in New York (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City), New York (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York), United States (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States). They are members of the Atlantic Division (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Division_%28NHL%29) of the Eastern Conference (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Conference_%28NHL%29) of the National Hockey League (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League) (NHL). Playing their home games at Madison Square Garden (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madison_Square_Garden), the Rangers are one of the oldest teams in the NHL, having joined in 1925 as an expansion franchise, and are part of the group of teams referred to as the Original Six (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_Six). The Rangers have won the Stanley Cup (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Cup) four times, most recently in 1994 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Stanley_Cup_Finals). They typically have a very high payroll and quite often sign some of the very best free agents (such as Chris Drury and Scott Gomez last year).

Current Team:
The Rangers were considered by many as the best team in the NHL entering the year but bowed out to the Penguins in the second round of the playoffs. They have a star-studded roster which includes quite a few good players such as Jaromir Jagr, Scott Gomez, Sean Avery, Chris Drury, Brendan Shannahan, Marc Staal, Brandon Dubinsky and Henrik Lundqvist (Gomez, Staal, Lundqvist and Dubinsky are still very young).
--------------------

Final Analysis: Both teams have a pretty bright future (although I would say the Rangers look just a bit better) that will probably be helped out my quite a few high-end free agents for both teams in the next few years. The Rangers are very alike the Yankees with both teams being one of the oldest in their respective leagues, both teams have very classic arenas and both teams spending a ton of money. The Flyers are a "tough" team that will do whatever it takes to win which reminds me quite a bit of the Philadelphia Phillies baseball team. Ultimately I would reccomend going with the Rangers as when you come to New York you could possibly see both teams and get plenty of team merchandise and most people who root for teams out of their area typically get more respect if a few of them come from the same region (for example someone from Australia rooting for 3 New York teams and an LA team would probably get more respect from Americans than one who roots for a team from Chicago, another from Anaheim and another from New York).

dino26
05-18-08, 01:48 PM
I'm a Rangers fan but I'll try to be a little unbiased here.

Unless you want to be considered a bandwagoner don't root for the Pens as they are the "hot" young team and most fans new to the sports might pick them. Also, I would suggest not rooting for Ottawa as they seem to be on the way down and are not a popular team so are unlikely to be on tv much.

-------------------------------------

So if it's between Philadelphia and New York here's some background.

Philadelphia Flyers:

Background:
The Philadelphia Flyers are a professional team based in Philadelphia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia), Pennsylvania (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania). They are members of the Atlantic Division (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Division_%28NHL%29) of the Eastern Conference (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Conference_%28NHL%29) of the National Hockey League (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League) (NHL). Part of the 1967 NHL Expansion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_NHL_Expansion), the Flyers were the first of these expansion teams to win the Stanley Cup (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Cup) in 1974 and again in 1975. Despite five return trips to the Stanley Cup Finals, the Flyers have not won the Cup since. The Flyers are referred to as the "Broadstreet Bullies" as throughout their history (especially the 70's) they have been known to play very rough and very dirty.

Current Team:
The Flyers were one of the worst teams in the NHL last year but they have had a miraculous turnaround and are now in this year's conference finals (but are down 3-1 in the best of 7 series). They have quite a few good players such as Daniel Briere, Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, Kimmo Timonen, Simon Gagne and Martin Biron. Richards and Carter are very young (23) while Gagne is only 28 (the other 3 are 30 or older).
-----------------------------------

New York Rangers:

Background:
The New York Rangers are a professional ice hockey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hockey) team based in New York (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City), New York (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York), United States (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States). They are members of the Atlantic Division (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Division_%28NHL%29) of the Eastern Conference (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Conference_%28NHL%29) of the National Hockey League (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League) (NHL). Playing their home games at Madison Square Garden (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madison_Square_Garden), the Rangers are one of the oldest teams in the NHL, having joined in 1925 as an expansion franchise, and are part of the group of teams referred to as the Original Six (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_Six). The Rangers have won the Stanley Cup (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Cup) four times, most recently in 1994 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Stanley_Cup_Finals). They typically have a very high payroll and quite often sign some of the very best free agents (such as Chris Drury and Scott Gomez last year).

Current Team:
The Rangers were considered by many as the best team in the NHL entering the year but bowed out to the Penguins in the second round of the playoffs. They have a star-studded roster which includes quite a few good players such as Jaromir Jagr, Scott Gomez, Sean Avery, Chris Drury, Brendan Shannahan, Marc Staal, Brandon Dubinsky and Henrik Lundqvist (Gomez, Staal, Lundqvist and Dubinsky are still very young).
--------------------

Final Analysis: Both teams have a pretty bright future (although I would say the Rangers look just a bit better) that will probably be helped out my quite a few high-end free agents for both teams in the next few years. The Rangers are very alike the Yankees with both teams being one of the oldest in their respective leagues, both teams have very classic arenas and both teams spending a ton of money. The Flyers are a "tough" team that will do whatever it takes to win which reminds me quite a bit of the Philadelphia Phillies baseball team. Ultimately I would reccomend going with the Rangers as when you come to New York you could possibly see both teams and get plenty of team merchandise and most people who root for teams out of their area typically get more respect if a few of them come from the same region (for example someone from Australia rooting for 3 New York teams and an LA team would probably get more respect from Americans than one who roots for a team from Chicago, another from Anaheim and another from New York).

Dude its between the Flyers and Rangers , I understand what you mean about NYR , but are they a young team or middle aged team that looks good for the future or are they a old team that are good now but gonna go downhill in the near future.

AMYanks
05-18-08, 01:59 PM
Dude its between the Flyers and Rangers , I understand what you mean about NYR , but are they a young team or middle aged team that looks good for the future or are they a old team that are good now but gonna go downhill in the near future.

... Did you not read what was written?

CanoForPresident
05-18-08, 02:13 PM

lol at AMYanks...

They're both young teams.

Flyers' forwards have a significant edge over the Rangers young forwards. I love Dubinsky and Dawes, but Richards, Carter and JVR are hard to top.

Rangers D has a slight edge over the Flyers D. Coburn and Parent are going to be a very good first pair, Staal and Sanguinetti are going to be even better.

Biron is kind of old, Lundqvist at 26 is one of the best goalies in the world.

Casey at the Bat
05-18-08, 02:39 PM

You should pick the Kings. They will be nearing the 15th year of their five-year plan any day now.

montrealer
05-18-08, 02:48 PM
lol at AMYanks...

They're both young teams.

Flyers' forwards have a significant edge over the Rangers young forwards. I love Dubinsky and Dawes, but Richards, Carter and JVR are hard to top.

Rangers D has a slight edge over the Flyers D. Coburn and Parent are going to be a very good first pair, Staal and Sanguinetti are going to be even better.

Biron is kind of old, Lundqvist at 26 is one of the best goalies in the world.

Lundqvist ?:-rofl-:

montrealer
05-18-08, 02:49 PM
Pens look like they want to take care of business........

NyQuil
05-18-08, 03:40 PM
Thanks for showing up Philly.

CanoForPresident
05-18-08, 03:55 PM
Lundqvist ?:-rofl-:

Price :D

montrealer
05-18-08, 04:04 PM
Price :D

Give the kid 3 years...............;)

CanoForPresident
05-18-08, 04:19 PM
Give the kid 3 years...............;)

to go from over hyped to overrated? sure :P

dino26
05-18-08, 04:20 PM
... Did you not read what was written?

Yeah i did read what was written , he mentioned they will benefit from young free agents.

What is the roughage of retirement in the NHL ? .

BroadwayBomber55
05-18-08, 04:27 PM
The Pittsburgh Penguins are cruising to the Stanley Cup Finals.

They're up 6-0 on the Philadelphia Flyers with 6:13 remaining in the 3rd.

26 and counting
05-18-08, 04:42 PM
The NHL is getting their wish as Sidney Crosby is going to be showcased in the Stanley Cup Finals.

Now I would love to see the Dallas Stars complete the comeback against the Detroit Red Wings. That way the Yankees wouldn't be the last team to blow a 3-0 series lead.

montrealer
05-18-08, 04:43 PM
I tip my my hat to the Pens............

montrealer
05-18-08, 04:44 PM
:clap: To the Flyers.........nobody thought you would get this far.....

NyQuil
05-18-08, 04:49 PM
Briere gets knocked out in the conference finals for the third year in a row.

26 and counting
05-18-08, 04:50 PM
:clap: To the Flyers.........nobody thought you would get this far.....

They were a bit of a surprise. They knocked off a Washington team that was playing exceptionally well at the end of the season, and then beat the top-seeded Montreal club. Very impressive for a team that finished with the worst record in the league last season.

But the Penguins were just too good, and they deserve to be going to the Cup Finals.

gdn
05-18-08, 04:56 PM
Wooohoo! Now, if Dallas can complete the comeback, we'll have a repeat of the 1991 finals!

BroadwayBomber55
05-18-08, 04:56 PM
Very good run by the Flyers. Paul Holmgren did a great job revamping the Orange and Black with a lot of talent.

The Penguins were too good, in all three areas: offense, defense, and special teams.

BroadwayBomber55
05-18-08, 04:57 PM
Wooohoo! Now, if Dallas can complete the comeback, we'll have a repeat of the 1991 finals!
They were the Minnesota North Stars at the time.

The Pens will get some rest.

gdn
05-18-08, 04:59 PM
They were the Minnesota North Stars at the time.I know, same thing.

26 and counting
05-18-08, 05:02 PM

I remember that series well, Penguins vs. North Stars. It's the first time that I ever saw a team skate around with the Stanley Cup live, and the Pittsburgh 8-0 victory in Game 6 was ridiculous. Someone actually put a YouTube video of all 8 Pittsburgh goals scored that game, and I watched it the other day.

Remember that the North Stars were actually up in that series 2-1. My next-door neighbor who is from Minnesota was getting very excited, but the Penguins shut him up really fast.:D Also, the North Stars that year had under 70 points, and they upset Chicago and St. Louis, both with over 100 points, in the Norris Divison playoffs.

BroadwayBomber55
05-18-08, 05:06 PM
BB55's 3-Stars: Eastern Conference Finals - Game 5: PIT 6, PHI 0

3rd Star: Marc-Andre Fleury, PIT: 21 saves, SHO

2nd Star: Marian Hossa, PIT: 1 G, 3 A, +2, 1 Takeaway

1st Star: Ryan Malone, PIT: 2 G, 1 A, +1, 7 SOG, 4 Hits

Top HM: Sergei Gonchar, PIT: 1 A, +1, 3 Blocked Shots; Pascual Dupuis, PIT: 1 G, +1, 5 Hits, 2 Takeaways; Brooks Orpik, PIT: 1 A, +1, 4 Blocked Shots, 7 Hits; Sidney Crosby, PIT: 2 A, +2, 3 Takeaways, 56.0% Faceoff Wins; Evgeni Malkin, PIT: 1 G, +1, 64.0% Faceoff Wins; Jordan Staal, PIT: 1 G, +1, 2 Hits, 53.0% Faceoff Wins

CanoForPresident
05-18-08, 05:10 PM
Makes me sick to think that punk Crosby will get the chance to stain the cup with his lips....

That said, congrats to the Pens. It's hard to go 12-2 throught he first three rounds and they did it.

You can bet the Pens are rooting for Dallas to pull the upset.

AMYanks
05-18-08, 05:13 PM
Yeah i did read what was written , he mentioned they will benefit from young free agents.

He also answered your original question. Both teams are well balanced with veterans and youth, with both teams having a bright future.

gdn
05-18-08, 05:15 PM
I remember that series well, Penguins vs. North Stars. It's the first time that I ever saw a team skate around with the Stanley Cup live, and the Pittsburgh 8-0 victory in Game 6 was ridiculous. Someone actually put a YouTube video of all 8 Pittsburgh goals scored that game, and I watched it the other day.

Remember that the North Stars were actually up in that series 2-1. My next-door neighbor who is from Minnesota was getting very excited, but the Penguins shut him up really fast.:D Also, the North Stars that year had under 70 points, and they upset Chicago and St. Louis, both with over 100 points, in the Norris Divison playoffs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tenIb77iidg

So good :D

BroadwayBomber55
05-18-08, 05:18 PM

I say around 36-37, but some NHL players are still playing in their 40s.

dino26
05-18-08, 05:27 PM
Is Sean Avery the bad ass of the Rangers , Do Modells stock NHL merchandise.

gdn
05-18-08, 05:36 PM
Umm, who is this chick on ESPN doing the commentary for the Penguins game recap? She is freaking AWFUL.

"In the second period...... (silence).... Marc Andre fleury made key saves when it mattered"

"The Pens acquired Hossa in the off-season...I mean earlier in the season"

BroadwayBomber55
05-18-08, 05:40 PM
Is Sean Avery the bad ass of the Rangers , Do Modells stock NHL merchandise.
Sean Avery is the Rangers' agitator/pest, a player who likes to get under the skin of the other team's players.

wang+cano=future
05-18-08, 06:10 PM
Sweet Stanley Cup Finals baby!! Being a Pengiun fan since 1990 it is awesome to see them work this hard, see all the pieces come together and after some long years at the bottom of the cellar get back to the Stanley Cup Finals.

trentonthunder
05-18-08, 06:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tenIb77iidg

So good :D

The following year the Pens got the Blackhawks. They played one of the greatest games in NHL history IMO in Chicago when the Pens beat the Black Hawks 6-5.
Mike Keenan pulled Belfour and gave him a mouthfull as a rookie name Domink Hasek came in and made two breakaway saves against Lemieux. I believe Roenick was flying that night with a few goals and assist for Chicago. Just a great game.

BTW, I'm hoping for a Detroit - Pens series. That will be one great series.

Pinstripedbass
05-18-08, 07:39 PM
Makes me sick to think that punk Crosby will get the chance to stain the cup with his lips....

That said, congrats to the Pens. It's hard to go 12-2 throught he first three rounds and they did it.

You can bet the Pens are rooting for Dallas to pull the upset.

I'm hoping Crosby gives the cup some tongue.:D

CanoForPresident
05-18-08, 07:43 PM
I'm hoping Crosby gives the cup some tongue.:D

Keep your fetishes to yourself bro :P

In Mo I Trust
05-18-08, 08:09 PM
Keep your fetishes to yourself bro :P

1 Crosby 1 Cup.

CanoForPresident
05-18-08, 08:23 PM
1 Crosby 1 Cup.

:lol:

Pinstripedbass
05-18-08, 08:40 PM
1 Crosby 1 Cup.

:roflmao:

BroadwayBomber55
05-18-08, 10:18 PM
1 Crosby 1 Cup.
:roflmao: Brilliant!

gdn
05-19-08, 06:13 AM
I don't get it :dunno:

YanksFan1992
05-19-08, 09:15 AM

It's a spoof on the whole 2 girls 1 cup thing. ;)

njdhockey
05-19-08, 10:59 AM
You don't want to get it. ;)

allybear
05-19-08, 12:46 PM
The Penguins are my second favorite team (I am a Rangers fan, but I collect Penguins the bird, so therefore, I like Penguins the team) and if the Rangers couldn't do it, I was hoping they'd make it.

I think Pittsburgh-Detroit will be a great series - there's a lot of star power on both teams, and as long as Fleury stays hot, there's no telling...:)

ymike673
05-19-08, 01:01 PM
1942-Leafs come back from 0-3.

1975-My Isles come back from 0-3.

2008?- Maybe it's supposed to happen every 33 years.

Go Stars!

BroadwayBomber55
05-19-08, 02:03 PM
BB55's 3-Stars: Series-by-Series - Eastern Conference Finals: #2 Pittsburgh Penguins v. #6 Philadelphia Flyers

3rd Star of the Series: Hal Gill, PIT: 1 A, +2, 9 Blocked Shots, 6 Hits, 2 Takeaways, and limiting Daniel Briere to two points in the series

2nd Star of the Series: Marc-Andre Fleury, PIT: 4-1, 1.61 GAA, .939, 1 SHO

1st Star of the Series: Marian Hossa, PIT: 9 P (4 G, 5 A), +4, 3 Blocked Shots, 7 Hits, 4 Takeaways

Honorable Mentions

PIT
Sidney Crosby: 7 P (2 G, 5 A), +4, 4 Hits, 5 Takeaways, 3 Blocked Shots
Ryan Malone: 6 P (3 G, 3 A), +3, 21 Hits, 2 Takeaways
Sergei Gonchar: 6 A, +3, 10 Blocked Shots, 4 Hits
Evgeni Malkin: 5 P (3 G, 2 A), +2, 6 Hits, 3 Takeaways
Max Talbot: 5 P (1 G, 4 A), +4, 3 Blocked Shots, 8 Hits
Jordan Staal: 4 G, 6 Hits, 4 Blocked Shots, 3 Takeaways, 56.0% Faceoff Wins
Brooks Orpik: 1 A, +3, 18 Hits, 16 Blocked Shots, 2 Takeaways
Ryan Whitney: 2 P (1 G, 1 A), +4, 5 Blocked Shots
Kris Letang: +6, 7 Hits, 4 Takeaways, 8 Blocked Shots
Pascual Dupuis: 1 G, +4, 12 Hits, 4 Takeaways

PHI
Joffrey Lupul: 4 P (2 G, 2 A), +1, 9 Hits, 3 Takeaways
R.J. Umberger: 4 P (1 G, 3 A), +1, 4 Hits, 2 Takeaways
Mike Richards: 3 G, 8 Blocked Shots, 16 Hits

YanksFan1992
05-19-08, 07:57 PM
3-0 Detroit through the first period. :(

gdn
05-19-08, 07:59 PM
3-0 Detroit through the first period. :(Poop. Dallas never really stood a chance.

YanksFan1992
05-19-08, 08:50 PM
The Stars aren't putting up a much better fight than Philly did yesterday.

4-0 Wings through 2. :(

gdn
05-19-08, 08:50 PM
Time to look forward to the Pens-Red Wings Stanley Cup finals :D

njdhockey
05-19-08, 08:58 PM
I think Red Wings-Penguins should be a great match up. Two high powered offensive teams that are defensively responsible. Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen for Detroit, Crosby, Malkin, Hossa up front for Pittsburgh. Lidstrom and Rafalski proven vets on defense for the Red Wings and young guys like Orpik and Letang on defense for Pittsburgh. Maybe a Laraque vs. McCarty bout. I am pumped up for it. Normally I don't cheer for anyone once the Devils are out of it, but I hope the Wings win it since I don't want to see our division rival hoist the Cup and it would be nice for Rafalski. With that said I am very impressed by Crosby. That guy gets a lot of sh!t from the fans, but what an accomplishment to captain a team to the SCF as a 20 year old.

BroadwayBomber55
05-19-08, 09:01 PM
I think Red Wings-Penguins should be a great match up. Two high powered offensive teams that are defensively responsible. Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen for Detroit, Crosby, Malkin, Hossa up front for Pittsburgh. Lidstrom and Rafalski proven vets on defense for the Red Wings and young guys like Orpik and Letang on defense for Pittsburgh. Maybe a Laraque vs. McCarty bout. I am pumped up for it. Normally I don't cheer for anyone once the Devils are out of it, but I hope the Wings win it since I don't want to see our division rival hoist the Cup and it would be nice for Rafalski. With that said I am very impressed by Crosby. That guy gets a lot of sh!t from the fans, but what an accomplishment to captain a team to the SCF as a 20 year old.
Both the Pens and Red Wings have talent, depth, great goalies, coaches, and special teams.

This should be a great matchup barring a Wings meltdown tonight.

CanoForPresident
05-19-08, 09:02 PM

He can thank Malkin for that.

I don't think crosby has been very good in any of the series. Malkin has been a difference maker in all three.

I really hope the Wings can send Crosby home crying.

BroadwayBomber55
05-19-08, 09:04 PM

I don't think crosby has been very good in any of the series. Malkin has been a difference maker in all three.

And the Pens are getting a lot of scoring from other players like Ryan Malone, Max Talbot, Marian Hossa, and Gary Roberts. Don't forget the Pens blueliners led by Hal Gill and Robert Scuderi. Add Marc-Andre Fleury to the list too.

wang+cano=future
05-19-08, 09:09 PM

Why do you hate Crosby so much? You make him out to be a over-rated little baby instead of the defending Hart and Art Ross trophy winner.....He is not that bad you know ;) .

AMYanks
05-19-08, 09:13 PM
This should be a great series. Probably the best ratings since the Cup returned to network TV in '95, too.

sprucemoose
05-19-08, 09:13 PM
Why do you hate Crosby so much? You make him out to be a over-rated little baby instead of the defending Hart and Art Ross trophy winner.....He is not that bad you know ;) .

Same thing happened to Gretzky and Mario. Human nature, I guess.

njdhockey
05-19-08, 09:20 PM
In 14 playoff games Crosby has 4 goals, 17 assists for 21 points to lead the NHL playoffs. Sure having guys like Malkin and Hossa helps but to put up those numbers and captain the team at the age of 20 - that is impressive and I can't detract from him at all.

Tyler Durden
05-19-08, 09:27 PM
Well, it looks like it will be a good series to watch. As a Flyers fan, I'm torn between my dislike for the Red Wings vs my dislike for all things Pittsburgh right now, but I have to think that watching Crosby/Malkin versus Nick Lidstrom will be very entertaining.
Like most Stanley Cup Championships, the series will ultimately come down to goaltending. Here are the playoff numbers on the two goalies, per ESPN.com:

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 border=0><TBODY><TR class=colhead align=right><TD align=left></TD><TD></TD><TD>W (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/statistics?stat=nhlgoalies&league=nhl&sort=w&order=false&qual=true&season=2008&seasontype=3&pos=all)</TD><TD>L (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/statistics?stat=nhlgoalies&league=nhl&sort=l&order=false&qual=true&season=2008&seasontype=3&pos=all)</TD><TD>OTL (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/statistics?stat=nhlgoalies&league=nhl&sort=otl&order=false&qual=true&season=2008&seasontype=3&pos=all)</TD><TD></TD><TD>GAA (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/statistics?stat=nhlgoalies&league=nhl&sort=tga&order=false&qual=true&season=2008&seasontype=3&pos=all)</TD><TD>TGA</TD><TD> SV</TD><TD>SV% (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/statistics?stat=nhlgoalies&league=nhl&sort=svp&order=false&qual=true&season=2008&seasontype=3&pos=all)</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>

</TD><TD noWrap align=left>Chris Osgood (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/players/profile?playerId=700), DET</TD><TD>12</TD><TD>9</TD><TD>2</TD><TD></TD><TD bgColor=#c1c1c1>1.65</TD><TD>19</TD><TD>240</TD><TD>.927</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left></TD><TD noWrap align=left>M. Fleury (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/players/profile?playerId=2346), PIT</TD><TD>14</TD><TD>12</TD><TD>2</TD><TD></TD><TD bgColor=#c1c1c1>1.70</TD><TD>24</TD><TD>364</TD><TD>.938</TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Osgood has the edge in Goals Against Average, but Fleury has the edge in Save Percentage. Fleury seems to have more of an ability to steal games for his team than Osgood, but Osgood already has his name on the cup multiple times, so it should be quite an interesting series. I don't think the NHL could have asked for a better final from a ratings perspective, either.

BroadwayBomber55
05-19-08, 09:29 PM
Final Score from American Airlines Center

Detroit Red Wings 4, Dallas Stars 1

DET wins Best-of-7 Series, 4-1.

The Red Wings go to the Stanley Cup Finals.

CanoForPresident
05-19-08, 10:22 PM

He is a little baby but I never said he was overrated. I've seen him play enough, both on TV and in person to say that he is an excellent player.

Do think that both Malkin and Ovechkin are better.

In 14 playoff games Crosby has 4 goals, 17 assists for 21 points to lead the NHL playoffs. Sure having guys like Malkin and Hossa helps but to put up those numbers and captain the team at the age of 20 - that is impressive and I can't detract from him at all.

Come on NJD, you know that a players PPG never tells the whole story. Sid has racked up a ................ ton of secondary assists. My own eyes haven't noticed him as much as Malkin, Orpik, Malone or even Hossa. Crosby has made a nice play here and there, but nothing that makes you say "oh ................, that just changed the game."

njdhockey
05-19-08, 10:51 PM
He is a little baby but I never said he was overrated. I've seen him play enough, both on TV and in person to say that he is an excellent player.

Do think that both Malkin and Ovechkin are better.

Come on NJD, you know that a players PPG never tells the whole story. Sid has racked up a ................ ton of secondary assists. My own eyes haven't noticed him as much as Malkin, Orpik, Malone or even Hossa. Crosby has made a nice play here and there, but nothing that makes you say "oh ................, that just changed the game."
It doesn't tell the whole story but it does show that he is doing something right. While he hasn't been the dominant player that has taken a series over he definitly has not been the weak link. He is what you said above, an excellent player. To think he is only 20 and going to get better.

BroadwayBomber55
05-19-08, 11:10 PM
BB55's 3-Stars: Western Conference Finals - Game 6: DET 4, DAL 1

3rd Star: Kris Draper, DET: 1 G, +2, 1 Blocked Shot, 56.0% Faceoff Wins

2nd Star: Henrik Zetterberg, DET: 1 G, 1 A, +1, 7 SOG, 1 Blocked Shot, 2 Hits, 1 Takeaway, 79.0% Faceodd Wins

1st Star: Dallas Drake, DET: 1 G, 1 A, +2, 2 Blocked Shots, 2 Hits, 2 Takeaways

Top HM: Mikael Samuelsson, DET: 1 A, +2, 1 Takeaway; Pavel Datsyuk, DET: 1 G, 4 Hits; Brad Stuart, DET: 1 A, +1, 2 Blocked Shots; Nicklas Lidstrom, DET: 1 A, +1, 1 Blocked Shot, 2 Hits; Brett Lebda, DET: 1 A, +1; Chris Osgood, DET: 28 saves on 29 SOG; Stephane Robidas, DAL: 1 G, 5 Hits

dabomb2045
05-20-08, 12:16 AM
Crosby isnt even the best player on his team. Malkin is way better IMO. Ovechkin is the best player in the league.

Neither gets the press that Crosby does because a) both are European and b) they werent deemed the "Chosen One" by the annoying Canadian media

Kluivert4Ever
05-20-08, 07:38 AM
Great finals matchup, Im hoping for the Pens here.
He might be a crybaby but the Crosby is one helluva player, and its not like Staal and Malkin are bad either. Great young team to watch.
Detroit on the other hand, just a bunch of overrated Swedes;)

RhodyYanksFan
05-20-08, 07:45 AM
Let the Penguins win it. I knew Crosby would win a Cup in his career so might as well get it over with to make way for the Rangers dynasty of the next 5 years. :gulp:

sprucemoose
05-20-08, 11:43 AM
Crosby isnt even the best player on his team. Malkin is way better IMO. Ovechkin is the best player in the league.

Neither gets the press that Crosby does because a) both are European and b) they werent deemed the "Chosen One" by the annoying Canadian media

Is it possible that your view of Crosby is skewed by the fact that he is Canadian? It seems as though you don't really like us all that much.

CanoForPresident
05-20-08, 11:52 AM
Is it possible that your view of Crosby is skewed by the fact that he is Canadian? It seems as though you don't really like us all that much.

Or that Malkin has easily been better in these playoffs.

sprucemoose
05-20-08, 12:40 PM
Or that Malkin has easily been better in these playoffs.

No argument there.

Over the long haul though, I'm taking Crosby. But I'm Canadian, so I'm totally biased and blinded by the annoying media.

CanoForPresident
05-20-08, 12:45 PM
No argument there.

Over the long haul though, I'm taking Crosby. But I'm Canadian, so I'm totally biased and blinded by the annoying media.

As long as your honest about it.

I'll take the guy who carried the team when their "captain" was out for two months and has made a difference when the games got bigger.

one player who gets lost in the shuffle is Ty Conklin. Im sure Yahoo or someone will do a piece on Ty Conklin before the season is over. He kept the Pens afloat when MAF went down and everyone thought the Pens were totaly ................ed.

Detroit on the other hand, just a bunch of overrated Swedes

Yep, Zetterberg, Kronwall and Lidstrom are overrated. You're only talking about two guys who have done nothing but ................ing bring it in the playoffs and arguably the best European player ever

So when are you getting your Islander and Team Canada jerseys in the mail?

sprucemoose
05-20-08, 12:59 PM
As long as your honest about it.

I'll take the guy who carried the team when their "captain" was out for two months and has made a difference when the games got bigger.

one player who gets lost in the shuffle is Ty Conklin. Im sure Yahoo or someone will do a piece on Ty Conklin before the season is over. He kept the Pens afloat when MAF went down and everyone thought the Pens were totaly ................ed.

Yep, Zetterberg, Kronwall and Lidstrom are overrated. You're only talking about two guys who have done nothing but ................ing bring it in the playoffs and arguably the best European player ever

So when are you getting your Islander and Team Canada jerseys in the mail?

I didn't write that second part.

Regarding Conklin: Damien Cox wrote a column at ESPN a while back suggesting that guys like Conklin should be considered for the MVP because of how important they were to their team, regardless of how much they played. Interesting take, though I don't necessarily agree.

As for Crosby v Malkin, to each their own I guess. Crosby had a good year last year, and was injured this year. Who knows how things play out if he doesn't go down. Either way, Penguin fans must be happy that they aren't having these "who would you build a team around" arguments. . They don't care who is better, becuase they have both.

CanoForPresident
05-20-08, 01:07 PM
I didn't write that second part.

Regarding Conklin: Damien Cox wrote a column at ESPN a while back suggesting that guys like Conklin should be considered for the MVP because of how important they were to their team, regardless of how much they played. Interesting take, though I don't necessarily agree.

As for Crosby v Malkin, to each their own I guess. Crosby had a good year last year, and was injured this year. Who knows how things play out if he doesn't go down. Either way, Penguin fans must be happy that they aren't having these "who would you build a team around" arguments. . They don't care who is better, becuase they have both.

I know you didn't write the 2nd part, That was all Klu. I shoulda made that clearer, my bad.

I'm with you on the Conklin thing. He saved his teams season but lets get real, if MAF is down for the whole year, The pens dont make the playoffs.

BroadwayBomber55
05-20-08, 03:01 PM
BB55's 3-Stars: Western Conference Finals - #1 Detroit Red Wings v. #5 Dallas Stars

3rd of the Series: Marty Turco, DAL: 2-4, 2.87 GAA, .910 SV%

2nd Star of the Series: Pavel Datsyuk, DET: 6 P (4 G, 2 A), +5, 17 Hits, 4 Blocked Shots, 7 Takeaways

1st Star of the Series: Henrik Zetterberg, DET: 8 P (4 G, 4 A), +5, 4 Hits, 5 Blocked Shots, 5 Takeaways, 68.0% Faceoff Wins

Honorable Mentions

DET
Chris Osgood: 4-2, 1.68 GAA, .922 SV%
Jiri Hudler: 4 P (2 G, 2 A)
Tomas Holmstrom: 4 P (1 G, 3 A), +2, 10 Hits
Niklas Kronwall: 4 A, +3, 7 Hits, 2 Takeaways, 6 Blocked Shots
Nicklas Lidstrom: 3 A, +2, 6 Hits, 4 Blocked Shots
Brad Stuart: 1 A, +3, 12 Blocked Shots, 13 Hits

DAL
Brenden Morrow: 4 P (2 G, 2 A), 24 Hits, 9 Takeaways, 6 Blocked Shots
Brad Richards: 4 P (1 G, 3 A), 5 Takeaways
Stephane Robidas: 3 P (2 G, 1 A), 21 Hits, 12 Blocked Shots
Joel Lundqvist: 3 P (1 G, 2 A), 29 Hits

Kluivert4Ever
05-20-08, 03:44 PM
Team Canada jerseys in the mail?

Already have three. The red one, the white one and the black one.

http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v289/62/64/627360114/n627360114_1216616_1764.jpg

CanoForPresident
05-20-08, 03:57 PM
Already have three. The red one, the white one and the black one.

http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v289/62/64/627360114/n627360114_1216616_1764.jpg

You look like you belong in a boy band :P

How the hell does a sweedish dude become a team canada fan? Its one thing to dislike a player or two from sweeden, but wtf?

Ps. How about Kovalchuk in that Final vs Canada? Thats what I call showing up when it counts :D

Kluivert4Ever
05-20-08, 04:03 PM
You look like you belong in a boy band :P

How the hell does a sweedish dude become a team canada fan? Its one thing to dislike a player or two from sweeden, but wtf?

Ps. How about Kovalchuk in that Final vs Canada? Thats what I call showing up when it counts :D

Yeah I know, I get that all the time, you should see me now with my long hair its even worse:P But oh well whatcha gonna do haha

Well I have always been a fan of the Canadian style of play, the passion the intensity and all that. Then Messier was Canadian, Graves was Canadian and I just couldnt root against them. Swedish style of play on the other hand is one I absoloutely hate, the Swedish league is like ice-skating and the Swedish team always runs and hides when things gets rough in international play (although I admit they have gotten better at that departement but back in the days yeeez!).

Then this enourmous Canadian hatred in Sweden only adds fuel to the fire.
Swedes cannot stand Canada, they absoloutely detest them so for us to beat them time and time again is like x-mas eve.

On Kovy, hey what can I say, the dude was like a ghost for what 8 games and 55 minutes then he basically won the gold by himself. Got to give him props for that. This WC showed exactly the risks and rewards with a player like Kovalchuck. Lets be honest he was soooo terrible during the tournament that he could easily have brought the whole russian team down with him but then on the other hand when he got interested in the final game NOBODY could stop him. So there you have it, the risk and reward factor. Still think dont the the risk is worth to take but thats me.
There is no shame in losing to the Russians though, so much talent but it sucks to lose like that. But hey at least we beat the Swedes thats like Yankees-Red Sox for me;)

Pinstripedbass
05-20-08, 05:02 PM
The Finals Pick...

Red Wings in 7.

Kluivert4Ever
05-20-08, 05:37 PM
The Finals Pick...

Red Wings in 7.

Hoping for a Pens Sweep but Ill be realistic and say Pens in five;)

YanksFan1992
05-20-08, 05:53 PM
I'll go with Pens in 6 with Detroit winning Games 2 and 5 at home.

Kluivert4Ever
05-20-08, 06:04 PM
I'll go with Pens in 6 with Detroit winning Games 2 and 5 at home.

Fine with me, as long as I get to see Sidney raise the Cup, sure he is a crybaby sometimes but damn it he is the best player in the world and he is Canadian.:goody:

CanoForPresident
05-20-08, 06:24 PM
Fine with me, as long as I get to see Sidney raise the Cup, sure he is a crybaby sometimes but damn it he is the best player in the world and he is Canadian.:goody:

I think your forgetting about a certain #8 who plays for Washington;)

Pinstripedbass
05-20-08, 06:26 PM
Hoping for a Pens Sweep but Ill be realistic and say Pens in five;)

It wouldn't surprise me either to see the Pens raise the cup. It's a pretty even matchup. If Franzen is healthy I think the table tilts slightly to the Wings.

It will probably come down to the goalies. If I have to bet my mortgage money on Fleury or Osgood, my money's on Ozzie!

Kluivert4Ever
05-20-08, 07:54 PM
I think your forgetting about a certain #8 who plays for Washington;)

Its a close call and I love Ovechking as well but if I HAD to choose right now I go with Sidney *ducks for flying objects*;)

BroadwayBomber55
05-20-08, 09:17 PM
It wouldn't surprise me either to see the Pens raise the cup. It's a pretty even matchup. If Franzen is healthy I think the table tilts slightly to the Wings.

It will probably come down to the goalies. If I have to bet my mortgage money on Fleury or Osgood, my money's on Ozzie!
In my mind, goalies and special teams will be the deciding factors.

dabomb2045
05-21-08, 12:24 AM

Not really. There are many Canadian players I love. I am forever in debt to Mark Messier for 1994....so there's one example. Adam Graves is another.

I simply believe Malkin and Ovechkin are better then Crosby--I wouldnt say by a wide margin but they are better. But IMO European players dont get the same amount of respect/credit that Canadian (or American) players get. I think it all has to do w/the media and who the NHL markets. The media has been all over Crosby's jock since he was tearing up juniors....and the NHL markets him in a way I havent seen anyone marketed since Gretzky. Yet you dont see them do this with the top Euro players in the league. I've seen it firsthand w/Jagr now since he's been a Ranger for a few years. The guy is one of the greatest to ever play the game, yet people point out his shortcomings ALOT more then they give him credit for the awesome career that he's had. The media does this with Euro players. They tend to not do it w/North American players.

Tabata
05-21-08, 04:31 AM
Well I have always been a fan of the Canadian style of play, the passion the intensity and all that. Then Messier was Canadian, Graves was Canadian and I just couldnt root against them. Swedish style of play on the other hand is one I absoloutely hate, the Swedish league is like ice-skating and the Swedish team always runs and hides when things gets rough in international play (although I admit they have gotten better at that departement but back in the days yeeez!).

Then this enourmous Canadian hatred in Sweden only adds fuel to the fire.
Swedes cannot stand Canada, they absoloutely detest them so for us to beat them time and time again is like x-mas eve.
Even though this isn't as uncommon as most would think. I still find it quite odd. Especially when you refer to Canada as "us".

It's the equivalent of me rooting for the All Blacks against the Wallabies, or England against Australia in Cricket. No offence, but I think what you are doing is wrong personally. Changing sport clubs is one thing, but rooting against your own country is a whole different kettle of fish. Just my 2 cents. Take it the way you want.

Kluivert4Ever
05-21-08, 07:06 AM
Even though this isn't as uncommon as most would think. I still find it quite odd. Especially when you refer to Canada as "us".

It's the equivalent of me rooting for the All Blacks against the Wallabies, or England against Australia in Cricket. No offence, but I think what you are doing is wrong personally. Changing sport clubs is one thing, but rooting against your own country is a whole different kettle of fish. Just my 2 cents. Take it the way you want.

I dont see the big deal honestly, I dont see why one are obligated to root for ones country. It seems really conservative. My favourite players are Canadian, of course I want to see my favourite players win? And if you absoloutely love the style of play of one nation and desest the style of another how could you root for the latter? Just because your passport says so? I dont buy that Im sorry. My passport might say Im Swedish but in my heart Im 100x more American or Canadian.

A lot of people feel the way you do, people here in Sweden really gets worked up when I refer to Sweden as "they" or "you guys" and Canada or the US as "us". But I wont change doing that so it is what it is:)

Kluivert4Ever
05-21-08, 07:10 AM
I simply believe Malkin and Ovechkin are better then Crosby--I wouldnt say by a wide margin but they are better. But IMO European players dont get the same amount of respect/credit that Canadian (or American) players get.

I used to be that way, but I feel it has changed to become the other way around now.

dino26
05-21-08, 07:17 AM
I used to be that way, but I feel it has changed to become the other way around now.

Bit random Kluivert but loving the booty on that avatar.

montrealer
05-21-08, 07:24 AM
Pens in 6 .......................Crosby will prove to the world just how good he is..............

Kluivert4Ever
05-21-08, 07:55 AM
Bit random Kluivert but loving the booty on that avatar.

So do I;)

Kluivert4Ever
05-21-08, 07:56 AM
Pens in 6 .......................Crosby will prove to the world just how good he is..............

Exactly, exfrigginactly!

Pens in 5 though;)

Tabata
05-21-08, 08:50 AM
I dont see the big deal honestly, I dont see why one are obligated to root for ones country. It seems really conservative. My favourite players are Canadian, of course I want to see my favourite players win? And if you absoloutely love the style of play of one nation and desest the style of another how could you root for the latter? Just because your passport says so? I dont buy that Im sorry. My passport might say Im Swedish but in my heart Im 100x more American or Canadian.

A lot of people feel the way you do, people here in Sweden really gets worked up when I refer to Sweden as "they" or "you guys" and Canada or the US as "us". But I wont change doing that so it is what it is:)
But this is your COUNTRY we’re talking about. The place you were born and grew up in. Don’t you have any pride in being Swedish? Just think about the pride you would feel when Sweden beat Canada or the USA? You can sit back and think to yourself that my country and people did that.

Of course I’m Australian and last year when Australia won their third consecutive Cricket World Cup, something that no other country has ever done, I can’t even begin to tell you how pride that I was Australian. We haven’t lost a World Cup game this century in fact. I can sit back and think that my country did that. No body from England or India or from wherever could even feel the same as I do about what they have done. I don’t see how you could ever feel the same about Canada winning then you would when Sweden win.

Between you and me, I love the style the All Blacks play. When I’m watching the Haka before the game I can’t help but think how cool it would be if we did that. The Wallabies’ scrum has sucked for years. At time it kills me to watch them. It killed me to watch them choke last year against England. But I still watch every game and wear my Wallabies top all the time because you can never take away the pride I feel for them. I could go for the All Blacks and win everything and play a great style every game, but it would never feel the same.

It’s up to you at the end of the day, but I think you may think to yourself down the road and wish you did it different.

sprucemoose
05-21-08, 10:18 AM
Not really. There are many Canadian players I love. I am forever in debt to Mark Messier for 1994....so there's one example. Adam Graves is another.

I simply believe Malkin and Ovechkin are better then Crosby--I wouldnt say by a wide margin but they are better. But IMO European players dont get the same amount of respect/credit that Canadian (or American) players get. I think it all has to do w/the media and who the NHL markets. The media has been all over Crosby's jock since he was tearing up juniors....and the NHL markets him in a way I havent seen anyone marketed since Gretzky. Yet you dont see them do this with the top Euro players in the league. I've seen it firsthand w/Jagr now since he's been a Ranger for a few years. The guy is one of the greatest to ever play the game, yet people point out his shortcomings ALOT more then they give him credit for the awesome career that he's had. The media does this with Euro players. They tend to not do it w/North American players.

I see your point about the Crosby hype (and forget junior, we've been hearing about him up here since he was 13), but it just seems like there is this huge undeserved backlash against Crosby. He won the Art Ross and hart last year. He is really, really good. So are Ovie and Malkin.

I was mostly bothered by your assertation that the Canadian media are over-hyping Crosby and diminishing Ovechkin and Malkin, for supposedly xenophobic reasons. Never mind, of course, that NHL marketing is run out of the US and spearheaded by an American commissioner. And never mind that the majority of ballots in award voting come from American markets. Somehow, TSN has pulled the wool over everyone's eyes. What power.

In fact, Ovechkin and Malkin get a lot of hype up here as well. There is a constant debate about which one of the three young stars is the best player. We're not stupidly blind homers in Canada. Many of us are fans of the game and can see the exact same things you do.

Also, why is it a bad thing that Crosby is being marketed like Gretzky? Doesn't that help the game. Don't we want new fans to enjoy hockey? Crosby is talented and well-spoken. Malkin's english is still very poor, and while Ovechkin's is getting better every time I see him interviewed, he probably still wouldn't be the spokesperson that Crosby is able to be right now. I'm sure someone who works in marketing could clarify, but isn't Crosby a more natural spokesperson for a North American audience? I, on the other hand, would buy anything that Ovie was selling. He is by far my favourite (non-Leaf) player right now, both on and off the ice. The guy is exceptionally talented and absolutely hilarious. That doesn't mean I can't appreciate how good Crosby is.

montrealer
05-21-08, 10:39 AM
I see your point about the Crosby hype (and forget junior, we've been hearing about him up here since he was 13), but it just seems like there is this huge undeserved backlash against Crosby. He won the Art Ross and hart last year. He is really, really good. So are Ovie and Malkin.

I was mostly bothered by your assertation that the Canadian media are over-hyping Crosby and diminishing Ovechkin and Malkin, for supposedly xenophobic reasons. Never mind, of course, that NHL marketing is run out of the US and spearheaded by an American commissioner. And never mind that the majority of ballots in award voting come from American markets. Somehow, TSN has pulled the wool over everyone's eyes. What power.

In fact, Ovechkin and Malkin get a lot of hype up here as well. There is a constant debate about which one of the three young stars is the best player. We're not stupidly blind homers in Canada. Many of us are fans of the game and can see the exact same things you do.

Also, why is it a bad thing that Crosby is being marketed like Gretzky? Doesn't that help the game. Don't we want new fans to enjoy hockey? Crosby is talented and well-spoken. Malkin's english is still very poor, and while Ovechkin's is getting better every time I see him interviewed, he probably still wouldn't be the spokesperson that Crosby is able to be right now. I'm sure someone who works in marketing could clarify, but isn't Crosby a more natural spokesperson for a North American audience? I, on the other hand, would buy anything that Ovie was selling. He is by far my favourite (non-Leaf) player right now, both on and off the ice. The guy is exceptionally talented and absolutely hilarious. That doesn't mean I can't appreciate how good Crosby is.

well put......I don`t know where these people say that the Russians don`t get any ink up here.........Holy Sh*t ,Batman.............it`s Ovechkin and Malkin hoopla here in Quebec.............not a day goes by without some story about these two.

dabomb2045
05-21-08, 12:10 PM

Maybe I should have said North American media instead of just Canadian media....cuz the US media deserves the same blame as the Canadian media does.

Granted, hockey is not popular down here. With that said...even casual sports fans know who Crosby is here. Its hard to miss him because he is all over the place. However, you have to be a strong hockey fan living in the US to know who Malkin and Ovechkin are....because they get very little press in this country.

I would be marketing my best players if I was in charge of running the NHL--regardless of what country they are from.

dabomb2045
05-21-08, 12:13 PM

I respect your opinion....however I could never be this way. I could never root against the USA. There are many players I love that I've had to root against, as well as many players I hate that I've had to root for in international play---whether its hockey, basketball, baseball etc

But IMO anyways....country affiliation always comes before team/league affiliation. I'll root for someone I hate if I have to, and vice versa. USA all the way.

dabomb2045
05-21-08, 12:14 PM

I cant speak for other countries...but it is still this way in the US

sprucemoose
05-21-08, 12:57 PM
Maybe I should have said North American media instead of just Canadian media....cuz the US media deserves the same blame as the Canadian media does.

Granted, hockey is not popular down here. With that said...even casual sports fans know who Crosby is here. Its hard to miss him because he is all over the place. However, you have to be a strong hockey fan living in the US to know who Malkin and Ovechkin are....because they get very little press in this country.

I would be marketing my best players if I was in charge of running the NHL--regardless of what country they are from.

Okay, I have an honest question regarding the marketing of Crosby v Ovechkin and Malkin. Is it possible that the NHL chooses to market Crosby over either of the Russians because they are Russian. The Cold War has been over for nearly 20 years, but I imagine that Russia may still be viewed as the enemy by some in the US. Is that true? I'm asking because I honestly don't know, and I could understand some people having this attitude having grown up in a world where the Soviet Union was the number one enemy for so many years. If the NHL is trying to market the game to new fans in the U.S., maybe it is a safer bet to focus on a North American kid. Thoughts?

wang+cano=future
05-21-08, 01:03 PM
Okay, I have an honest question regarding the marketing of Crosby v Ovechkin and Malkin. Is it possible that the NHL chooses to market Crosby over either of the Russians because they are Russian. The Cold War has been over for nearly 20 years, but I imagine that Russia may still be viewed as the enemy by some in the US. Is that true? I'm asking because I honestly don't know, and I could understand some people having this attitude having grown up in a world where the Soviet Union was the number one enemy for so many years. If the NHL is trying to market the game to new fans in the U.S., maybe it is a safer bet to focus on a North American kid. Thoughts?

I am 24 and I do not view Russia as an enemy......It is more fundamenal islamic extremists who want to kill all Americans that I view as the enemy to the US. But I think that has to do with my age and the fact I was never exposed too much to US-Soviet tensions. If I has grown up in the Cold War I am sure I would feel differently.

CanoForPresident
05-21-08, 01:20 PM
I am 24 and I do not view Russia as an enemy......It is more fundamenal islamic extremists who want to kill all Americans because family guy used an image of mohammed in one of their episodes that I view as the enemy to the US. But I think that has to do with my age and the fact I was never exposed too much to US-Soviet tensions. If I has grown up in the Cold War I am sure I would feel differently.

fixed.

and isn't it ironic that Ovechkin, a Russian, is playing in Washington DC?

maybe 20 years from now the Wizards will have a super star islamic dude at center.

wang+cano=future
05-21-08, 03:37 PM
fixed.

and isn't it ironic that Ovechkin, a Russian, is playing in Washington DC?

maybe 20 years from now the Wizards will have a super star islamic dude at center.

Haha

http://thor.mirtna.org/grumble_south_park_zombies_hate_family_guy.jpg

njdhockey
05-21-08, 05:56 PM
I respect your opinion....however I could never be this way. I could never root against the USA. There are many players I love that I've had to root against, as well as many players I hate that I've had to root for in international play---whether its hockey, basketball, baseball etc

But IMO anyways....country affiliation always comes before team/league affiliation. I'll root for someone I hate if I have to, and vice versa. USA all the way.
I agree with you 100%. I have never had an issue cheering against some of my favorite players like Stevens, Niedermayer, and Brodeur and cheering for players that I disliked (but respected) like Leetch and Richter. Hell, I hate Gomez but I'll still cheer for him when he is representing the US.

BroadwayBomber55
05-21-08, 06:09 PM
2007-08 NHL Stanley Cup Finals Schedule

From Yahoo! Sports

Stanley Cup Finals

Eastern Conference Champion: (2) Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Western Conference Champion: (1) Detroit Red Wings

1. Sat, May 24 – at Det, 8:00 pm EDT (VS., CBC)
2. Mon, May 26 – at Det, 8:00 pm EDT (VS., CBC)
3. Wed, May 28 – at Pit, 8:00 pm EDT (NBC, CBC)
4. Sat, May 31 – at Pit, 8:00 pm EDT (NBC, CBC)
*5. Mon, Jun 2 – at Det, 8:00 pm EDT (NBC, CBC)
*6. Wed, Jun 4 – at Pit, 8:00 pm EDT (NBC, CBC)
*7. Sat, Jun 7 – at Det, 8:00 pm EDT (NBC, CBC)

*=If Necessary

Kluivert4Ever
05-23-08, 11:17 AM
But this is your COUNTRY we’re talking about. The place you were born and grew up in. Don’t you have any pride in being Swedish? Just think about the pride you would feel when Sweden beat Canada or the USA? You can sit back and think to yourself that my country and people did that.

Of course I’m Australian and last year when Australia won their third consecutive Cricket World Cup, something that no other country has ever done, I can’t even begin to tell you how pride that I was Australian. We haven’t lost a World Cup game this century in fact. I can sit back and think that my country did that. No body from England or India or from wherever could even feel the same as I do about what they have done. I don’t see how you could ever feel the same about Canada winning then you would when Sweden win.

Between you and me, I love the style the All Blacks play. When I’m watching the Haka before the game I can’t help but think how cool it would be if we did that. The Wallabies’ scrum has sucked for years. At time it kills me to watch them. It killed me to watch them choke last year against England. But I still watch every game and wear my Wallabies top all the time because you can never take away the pride I feel for them. I could go for the All Blacks and win everything and play a great style every game, but it would never feel the same.

It’s up to you at the end of the day, but I think you may think to yourself down the road and wish you did it different.

I root for Sweden in other sports, almost every sport except hockey and soccer (but Soccer is just because I always rooted for Holland because of Kluivert). But I could never root for players I so furiously hate, like Peter Forsberg, Henrik Zetterberg, Henrik Lundqvist, Daniel and Henrik Sedin and the list goes on.
There are very few Swedish players I respect, Mats Sundin is one and Niklas Lidstrom is another (and Sunny back in the days).

I have no problem rooting and feeling proud when Zlatan and co beats a soccer power.
Or if Sanna Kallur or Carolina Klft wins the gold in the olympics. I feel pride then, but in hockey I just dont want these players to succed, as I cant stand most of them and I cant stand Swedish hockey. If you think Martin Brodeur is a whiner, then read a Swedish newspaper after a Sweden loses a game will you. THEN you will hear about whining.

One example.
Ryan Getzlaf after the Final -Cant complain about that last penalty, it was a penalty and we lost fair and sqaure

Nicklas Bckstrom after the semi-final -That penalty (the high stick call which resluted in blood) was very weird I dont know what the refs were doing I felt we didnt get a fair chance because of the officials (high stick + blood = 4 minutes, the rule might be terrible but he KNOWS the rule so he is just being a crybaby).

I live in Sweden I have watched more Swedish hockey than most and I watch all international games and I have done so since I was about 8 and I have always felt their style of play is embarassing and boring.
I have always felt that the term "chicken swede" is one that should live on forever because at the end of the day, most of them talk a big game but when it gets rough they hide (see Murray, Douglas).

I have no problem rooting for my country otherwise, and I have no problem living here, I love this country and I love to live here. But Swedish hockey players are a breed I will always hate (with very few exceptions) and thats why I will never feel pride when Sweden beats Canada or Russia for example. Every time the Rangers aquire a Swedish player I die a little inside....

dabomb2045
05-23-08, 03:16 PM
I root for Sweden in other sports, almost every sport except hockey and soccer (but Soccer is just because I always rooted for Holland because of Kluivert). But I could never root for players I so furiously hate, like Peter Forsberg, Henrik Zetterberg, Henrik Lundqvist, Daniel and Henrik Sedin and the list goes on.
There are very few Swedish players I respect, Mats Sundin is one and Niklas Lidstrom is another (and Sunny back in the days).

I have no problem rooting and feeling proud when Zlatan and co beats a soccer power.
Or if Sanna Kallur or Carolina Klft wins the gold in the olympics. I feel pride then, but in hockey I just dont want these players to succed, as I cant stand most of them and I cant stand Swedish hockey. If you think Martin Brodeur is a whiner, then read a Swedish newspaper after a Sweden loses a game will you. THEN you will hear about whining.

One example.
Ryan Getzlaf after the Final -Cant complain about that last penalty, it was a penalty and we lost fair and sqaure

Nicklas Bckstrom after the semi-final -That penalty (the high stick call which resluted in blood) was very weird I dont know what the refs were doing I felt we didnt get a fair chance because of the officials (high stick + blood = 4 minutes, the rule might be terrible but he KNOWS the rule so he is just being a crybaby).

I live in Sweden I have watched more Swedish hockey than most and I watch all international games and I have done so since I was about 8 and I have always felt their style of play is embarassing and boring.
I have always felt that the term "chicken swede" is one that should live on forever because at the end of the day, most of them talk a big game but when it gets rough they hide (see Murray, Douglas).

I have no problem rooting for my country otherwise, and I have no problem living here, I love this country and I love to live here. But Swedish hockey players are a breed I will always hate (with very few exceptions) and thats why I will never feel pride when Sweden beats Canada or Russia for example. Every time the Rangers aquire a Swedish player I die a little inside....

What exactly is the "Swedish style" of hockey? Frankily I dont see much of a difference between any of the Euro countries in their style. Euro countries have always favored a more offensive-minded, wide-open style of hockey. Those great USSR teams in the 60s, 70s and 80s played this way. North American style is more defensive-minded and favors a more physical type of hockey.

Kluivert4Ever
05-23-08, 03:45 PM
What exactly is the "Swedish style" of hockey? Frankily I dont see much of a difference between any of the Euro countries in their style. Euro countries have always favored a more offensive-minded, wide-open style of hockey. Those great USSR teams in the 60s, 70s and 80s played this way. North American style is more defensive-minded and favors a more physical type of hockey.

The Swedish style is a non-contact style with slow tempo.
I have not watched much of the Russian league for example so I dont really know the style of their league but I do know that the Swedish national teams play exactly the same way as the teams does in the Swedish elite-league and how anyone can enjoy watching that is beyond me.

If the difference in style between the Russians and Swedes in international play is the same as their domestic leagues then the Russian league would be far more entertaining. Russians dont shy away from contact like Swedes do. Its like figure skating when Swedes play hockey.
Of course there are some Swedes that play a physical game in the NHL like Douglas Murray or to a certain extent Peter Forsberg but as soon as they get to international level (without enforcers protecting them) they shy away. Even the Swedish media called Douglas Murray out on it after the Canada game saying something like, before the game he was talking the game of a rooster but during the game he played the game of a chicken and THAT is Swedish hockey players in a nutshell.

BroadwayBomber55
05-23-08, 04:42 PM
BB55's Stanley Cup Predictions: Eastern Conference Champion #2 seed Pittsburgh Penguins v. Western Conference Champion #1 seed Detroit Red Wings

Pittsburgh Penguins: Key Bulletpoints

- Pick a Line, any Line with any Center - Scoring depth galore: Evgeni Malkin, Sidney Crosby, Jordin Staal, and Maxime Talbot; don't forget to throw in wingers like Ryan Malone and Marian Hossa

- The Thin Blue Line: Hal Gill, Robert Scuderi, Sergei Gonchar, and Brooks Orpik matchup with the Wings top offensive lines, while Ryan Whitney and Kris Letang are talented on the Pens' offensive side of the blueline

- Marc-Andre Fleury standing on his head again

- Special Teams

Detroit Red Wings: Key Bulletpoints

- Offensive talent with Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg leading the way, but they need 'The Mule' Johan Franzen

- The Red Wings blueline v. Crosby and Malkin: Nicklas Lidstrom, Brian Rafalski, banger Niklas Kronvall and shot blocker Brad Stuart lead the way

- Chris Osgood: Stanley Cup winner as a starter before and outplaying Fleury

- Special Teams

BB55's Stanley Cup Finals pick: This is a tough matchup to call. Both are very good at home and on the road, so home-ice doesn't mean anything. It will come down to who can outplay who in every aspect of the game: offense, defense, and special teams. On paper, the Red Wings have the edge on talent in the blueline, but will they have an answer for Crosby, Malkin, and Staal? If Franzen doesn't play, it will really hurt the Red Wings. Someone needs to step up and chip in with scoring from other lines like Kris Draper, Mikael Samuelsson, and Valtteri Filppula. For my Stanley Cup prediction, I pick Fleury and the Pens to lift the Stanley Cup this year. Penguins in 7.

Conn Smythe Trophy (Playoff MVP) winner pick: G Marc-Andre Fleury, Pittsburgh Penguins

montrealer
05-23-08, 04:51 PM
Pens better win now..................this team will major Salary Cap issues.....

BroadwayBomber55
05-23-08, 04:55 PM
The Swedish style is a non-contact style with slow tempo.
I have not watched much of the Russian league for example so I dont really know the style of their league but I do know that the Swedish national teams play exactly the same way as the teams does in the Swedish elite-league and how anyone can enjoy watching that is beyond me.

If the difference in style between the Russians and Swedes in international play is the same as their domestic leagues then the Russian league would be far more entertaining. Russians dont shy away from contact like Swedes do. Its like figure skating when Swedes play hockey.
Of course there are some Swedes that play a physical game in the NHL like Douglas Murray or to a certain extent Peter Forsberg but as soon as they get to international level (without enforcers protecting them) they shy away. Even the Swedish media called Douglas Murray out on it after the Canada game saying something like, before the game he was talking the game of a rooster but during the game he played the game of a chicken and THAT is Swedish hockey players in a nutshell.
Here's an article Klu: http://www.russianjerseys.com/fanpage/about.html
A 12-page article on the differences between European hockey and North American hockey.

There are some Swedes that can throw their weight around like Mattias Ohlund, Douglas Murray, and Niklas Kronwall.

There are Russians that can play a physical game like Alexander Ovechkin delivering some hits and some scrappers like Ilya Kovalchuk.

dino26
05-23-08, 06:18 PM
So do I;)

You should get it customised so it shakes and play ms new booty by bubba sparxx in the background haha:D

Boogiedown Bomber
05-23-08, 09:19 PM
Here we go Penguins, Here we go!

YanksFan1992
05-23-08, 10:22 PM
Haven't really decided who I want to root for yet, as I highly dislike both teams. :lol:

AMYanks
05-24-08, 02:13 AM
Let's go Wings. Never let Crosby touch that Cup.

YanksFan1992
05-24-08, 11:42 AM
Let's go Wings. Never let Crosby touch that Cup.

Yeah, I've decided to root for Detroit as well. :gulp:

CanoForPresident
05-24-08, 07:16 PM
The the wings announcer just say Steven Crosby?

LOL! Go wings!

CanoForPresident
05-24-08, 07:50 PM
I'd like to offically welcome the Redwings to the "Refs for Crosby" movement.

what a load of crap that last call was.

YanksFan1992
05-24-08, 07:59 PM
The first period is over, and it's 0-0.

sprucemoose
05-24-08, 08:22 PM

How do you explain that cheap slashing call on Crosby?

CanoForPresident
05-24-08, 08:30 PM
How do you explain that cheap slashing call on Crosby?

knocking the stick out of a players hands= Automatic penalty.

Thats the way it's been for a while now. Its one of my least favorite rules but its always called.

YanksFan1992
05-24-08, 08:37 PM
And Ruutu has put the Penguins ahead 1-0 late in the 2nd.

wang+cano=future
05-24-08, 08:41 PM
And Ruutu has put the Penguins ahead 1-0 late in the 2nd.

?? I wish.....

wang+cano=future
05-24-08, 08:42 PM

There was a similar call with Holmstrom in the Stars series.

YanksFan1992
05-24-08, 08:42 PM
?? I wish.....

Huh? :confused:

CanoForPresident
05-24-08, 08:44 PM
There was a similar call with Holmstrom in the Stars series.

That was a makeup call for one that they missed earlier in the series where Holstrom should have been called for a penalty.

Wings should be up 2-0 right now, 3-0 if not for the crossbar.

wang+cano=future
05-24-08, 08:45 PM
Huh? :confused:

It is 1-0 Red Wings on a goal by Samuelsen not 1-0 Pens on a goal by Ruttu...:)

wang+cano=future
05-24-08, 08:45 PM
That was a makeup call for one that they missed earlier in the series where Holstrom should have been called for a penalty.

Wings should be up 2-0 right now, 3-0 if not for the crossbar.

I guess the crossbar is favoring the Penguins too....J/k :)

YanksFan1992
05-24-08, 08:47 PM
It is 1-0 Red Wings on a goal by Samuelsen not 1-0 Pens on a goal by Ruttu...:)

Strange. I was following on NHL.com and for about 20 minutes they had it at 1-0 Pens thanks to Ruutu. :o

EDIT: Looks like it's been updated, sorry bout that. :lol:

wang+cano=future
05-24-08, 08:52 PM
Strange. I was following on NHL.com and for about 20 minutes they had it at 1-0 Pens thanks to Ruutu. :o

EDIT: Looks like it's been updated, sorry bout that. :lol:

Haha no prob...Like I said I wish NHL.com was right......I also wish the Penguins would wake up....Fleury is keeping them in this game big time.

YanksFan1992
05-24-08, 08:53 PM
So 1-0 Detroit after 2.

I would be surprised if Pittsburgh doesn't make a comeback.

CanoForPresident
05-24-08, 08:54 PM
I guess the crossbar is favoring the Penguins too....J/k :)

see now thats funny :lol:

YanksFan1992
05-24-08, 09:21 PM
Samuelsson's got another and it's 2-0 Red Wings.

YanksFan1992
05-24-08, 09:49 PM
Detroit's taken Game 1, 4-0. :gulp: