PDA

View Full Version : The "Are we ever going to score any runs?" Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

leutbneot
04-03-08, 07:37 PM
Our vaunted offense has looked pretty anemic this year. Yes, it's a small sample size, and yes, we've faced three pretty awesome pitchers. Still, this is what I do with my time when we can't score any runs and I'm watching the game on MLB.tv with my nyyfans.com window open in the background.

Sorry for wasting everyone's time! I hate my life! Go Yanks!

[sigh]

Hughes looks great, though.

philleotardo
04-03-08, 07:39 PM
Our vaunted offense has looked pretty anemic this year. Yes, it's a small sample size, and yes, we've faced three pretty awesome pitchers. Still, this is what I do with my time when we can't score any runs and I'm watching the game on MLB.tv with my nyyfans.com window open in the background.

[sigh]

Hughes looks great, though.I wouldn't call McGowan awesome.

hellonewman
04-03-08, 07:39 PM
In B4 da

:-padlock-

flymick24
04-03-08, 07:41 PM
this thread makes my balls hurt

TheYankee
04-03-08, 07:46 PM
Simply Damonic.

hardrain
04-03-08, 07:54 PM
Please ban the thread starter for life....

MattUNC2003
04-03-08, 07:56 PM
It is what it is.

TheYankee
04-03-08, 08:00 PM
It is what it is.Nick Saban?

Sam18
04-03-08, 08:06 PM
Haha people make sarcastic posts like this all the time and you think they're just being silly but then someone actually makes a thread like this and you're like wtf.
gg leutbneot

Skars
04-03-08, 08:07 PM
amazing what facing three #1-type starters will do to an offense

rodney27nyg
04-03-08, 08:09 PM
Haha people make sarcastic posts like this all the time and you think they're just being silly but then someone actually makes a thread like this and you're like wtf.
gg leutbneot

Irony at its best.;)

TheYankee
04-03-08, 08:15 PM
gg leutbneotIt's also nice to see internet l33tsp3ak show up here once in awhile... lets my inner n3rd come out.

dmx42soriano
04-03-08, 08:33 PM
Excuseme Baking powder?!

sahara
04-03-08, 08:40 PM
Bunting is clearly the key to success.

(Just saying it before someone else does. :barf:)

TheYankee
04-03-08, 08:44 PM
Bunting is clearly the key to success.

(Just saying it before someone else does. :barf:)I hate bunting, but boy did I love it there... it was the right situation for it... Jeter had been hitting into DP's, and you needed to move them up for the heart of the order. I had no problem with it in that situation.

stupidpunchline
04-03-08, 08:56 PM
No and with pitching like this we won't need to.

TheYankee
04-03-08, 08:59 PM
No and with pitching like this we won't need to.What a performance today... beautiful job by Hughes, Traber and Bruney did a great job in their perfect inning, Joba looked great as always, and vintage Mo. Can't chalk it up any better.

R.V.47
04-03-08, 09:03 PM
The offense has looked downright bad these 3 games but I think you can give the Jays pitching staff a little credit. Still though they arent getting big hits when they need them. I think though the Rays pitching staff will cure the yankees offensive problems.

CptCrunch
04-03-08, 09:04 PM
It is what it is.

They are who we thought they were.

leutbneot
04-03-08, 09:06 PM

LOL!

Great.

bcom33
04-03-08, 09:10 PM

LOL. Well let's face it...Halladay, Burnett, and McGowan are all capable of being aces on their best day. They pitched very well against us and we wore all of them down...though Burnett took a little too long.

I'm sure we'll open up against the Rays' pitchers.

Rocketbooster
04-03-08, 09:11 PM
I just think that the Yankees lineup is made up of mostly older players and they very likely just need time to heat up.....time and warmer weather. They are coming from Florida into the chill and rawness of NY - not easy to deal with. I'm not worried about the lineup even though it sure was frustrating tonight. Still, Alex will rarely have games like this tonight and Cano may just be a slow starter - some guys are. It's only 3 games and they won 2 1 run games. That's pretty nice.

StatenIslandYankee
04-03-08, 09:13 PM
Don't worry ... soon we'll play Baltimore and our lineup will "click"

hatfieldms
04-03-08, 09:14 PM
It is 3 games for crying out loud. The good thing is the pitching looks good. The hitting will come around

Yankees13
I hope this doesn't become a case of A-Rod and 8 passengers like it was last April or whoever and 8 passengers. That was a big reason for our dismal start, just as much as the pitching. Hopefully as the weather heats up and we don't have to face #1/2s every game, the bats will heat up.

Ynkcpt23
this thread makes my balls hurt

OK, between the Post and this thread what the hell DOESN'T make your balls hurt? You may need to see a urologist. And soon!

marshcat
04-03-08, 09:16 PM
More like Abreu and 8 passengers.

He's batting .500

Ynkcpt23
04-03-08, 09:17 PM

That's not a bad thing. It's a good thing.

StatenIslandYankee
04-03-08, 09:17 PM
It is 3 games for crying out loud. The good thing is the pitching looks good. The hitting will come aroundExcept Mussina

wang+cano=future
04-03-08, 09:31 PM
It was the first series of the season, in very cold weather, against two very very good pitchers who were dealing (Halladay and Burnett) and a very good pitcher (McGowan). You can't expect them to blow up for 12 runs every other game. It was nice to see them win tonight's game with a little small ball and good bullpen pitching at the end.

Prison Mike
04-03-08, 09:33 PM
Cold weather against ridiculously good pitchers- we'll be fine.

How do you think the Tigers feel right now?

MattUNC2003
04-03-08, 09:46 PM

AND WE LET THEM OFF THE HOOK!

(Hits side of desk with right palm)

Ynkcpt23
04-03-08, 09:55 PM
It was the first series of the season, in very cold weather, against two very very good pitchers who were dealing (Halladay and Burnett) and a very good pitcher (McGowan). You can't expect them to blow up for 12 runs every other game. It was nice to see them win tonight's game with a little small ball and good bullpen pitching at the end.

Agreed. We have to be able to win when our most obvious weapon (big bats) isn't winning the game for us. If we are able to eke out wins like this one, with solid pitching and situational, timely hitting, we are going to be a beast to be dealt with in the fall.

StatenIslandYankee
04-03-08, 10:22 PM
They are who we thought they were. http://www1.whdh.com/images/news_articles/389x205/061017_dennis_green.jpg

R.V.47
04-03-08, 10:29 PM
Agreed. We have to be able to win when our most obvious weapon (big bats) isn't winning the game for us. If we are able to eke out wins like this one, with solid pitching and situational, timely hitting, we are going to be a beast to be dealt with in the fall.

I agree with you but we didnt really get any timely hitting. We have had plenty of guys on base and have not been getting that hit outside of a bloop by Abreu tonight.

Ynkcpt23
04-03-08, 10:32 PM
I agree with you but we didnt really get any timely hitting. We have had plenty of guys on base and have not been getting that hit outside of a bloop by Abreu tonight.

Yeah, and the bloop won it--reminds me of the Jays luck last night.

You're right. The bats are going to come around, though, it's just a matter of time. Any way to squeeze out a win works for me...just would hope that as the season moves on, our starters get wins for their efforts.

cyhughes22
04-03-08, 10:34 PM
Cold weather+ good pitching =few runs. Pretty simple equation. No need to panic. Though Matsui looks pretty bad at the plate.:(

Ynkcpt23
04-03-08, 10:34 PM
Is there such a thing as a "timely crap swing that happens to fall and works out to the betterment of the Yankees"??? If so, I thought of it first and I will not only copyright it, I will market it! Take that Mr. Coffee! (Apologies to Joe D)

C4v
04-03-08, 11:45 PM
Its only the first week, not to mention we were facing some solid pitching.
It could be worse though. At least we didnt get shut down by the royals ;)

rodney27nyg
04-04-08, 05:03 AM
Cold weather+ good pitching =few runs. Pretty simple equation. No need to panic. Though Matsui looks pretty bad at the plate.:(

Yes, he really does.

Bub
04-04-08, 06:32 AM
LOL. Well let's face it...Halladay, Burnett, and McGowan are all capable of being aces on their best day. They pitched very well against us and we wore all of them down...though Burnett took a little too long.

I'm sure we'll open up against the Rays' pitchers.

DING DING DING!!! You get the prize! :)

Nome
04-04-08, 06:40 AM

[sigh]

Hughes looks great, though.

You are wasting our time. Get a life.
1.it's only the third game of the season
2. The Yanks have come back to the cold damp weather of NY after spending a month in 80 degree weather in Florida
3. Toronto threw three good pitchers at us.
Totonto's offense was equally as anemic against our staff.
4. It's only the third game of the season
5. Do you really think our lineup won't average 6 runs a game this year?
:D:D:D:o:P
Andy

JDPNYY
04-04-08, 06:47 AM
Any one got a blog to promote? Surely someone must have two tickets they're selling?

ieddyi
04-04-08, 06:52 AM
Rx:

Take 2 Edwin Jackson's and call me next week

spyglass
04-04-08, 07:00 AM
We look better than Detroit :P

Cold weather, good pitching by Toronto, but I'm sure we'll pick it up coming soon.

aeromac76
04-04-08, 07:32 AM
3 games, 3 bonafide top of the rotation starters throwing their A games at us. 40 degree weather. 2 wins. .667 winning %.
Me happy.
The end.
Thank You.

DaPip1998
04-04-08, 08:29 AM
http://www1.whdh.com/images/news_articles/389x205/061017_dennis_green.jpg

Coach, those guys took your Coors Light....

effdamets
04-04-08, 08:55 AM
Some are never satisfied....

hobokenfish
04-04-08, 09:13 AM
It's only three games, although I am not sold on this offense being so great (and have not been since the spring). Damon, Matsui, and Giambi are on the downside of their careers, and I do not expect them to put up great numbers. Melky is a decent hitter with little power, but his defense is really why he plays. Posada has shown no signs of slowing down yet, but he is 36 and a catcher. That leaves A-Rod (a bona fide monster), Jeter (hopefully there is no dropoff yet), Abreu (solid), and Cano (ready to be a star). They will definitely score more runs than the first three games, but I am not so sure it will be the juggernaut many think. Hopefully I am wrong.

That said, I love the way the Yanks won this series with Toronto. Last year, when the bats went silent they usually lost. Our starters and bullpen were very solid this series. You can't get too excited because it is only three games, but the way they won these two games is how you win playoff games. Hopefully this team need not bludgeon other teams to death, because that formula generally has not worked in the playoffs.

ymike673
04-04-08, 09:29 AM
7 games against the Rays and Royals. Would guess the hitting will get better real soon.

JeterRodriguezSheff
04-04-08, 09:37 AM
I look at it this way. They sucked offesnively, and still pulled out 2 of 3, without many breaks going their way. Those are the types of games they would have found ways to lose last year. They are playoff type games.

freebubba
04-04-08, 09:40 AM
I think the thread starter thought he was on the Detroit Tigers board:D.

Seriously, Halladay, Burnett, McGowan (who some experts say is ready for his coming out party). Burnett had it dialed up to 95-96 already. I am not worried at all. Loved the small ball last night.

Toaderly
04-04-08, 09:42 AM
Some are never satisfied....

...while others aren't happy unless they are whining about nothing.

yankswn23
04-04-08, 09:44 AM
Really I don't care how many runs we score as long as we win more games than any other team this season..and the post season..

jdtrader
04-04-08, 10:19 AM
I think the hitting will come and the 8th and 9th inning relief will be great. The 2 big questions will be the effectiveness of the starters and middle relievers.
If we can get a lead going into the 8th I feel safe.

bigwampum
04-04-08, 10:40 AM
I'm ecstatic. No doubt in my mind that we lose all three of those games last year.

leutbneot
04-04-08, 11:37 AM
I was attempting to be pretty sarcastic in my original post, FWIW. I'll try and avoid the facetious threads in the future... some people apparently have no sense of irony. We should revive the "We're DOOOOOMED!" thread, I guess.

I'm loving the pitching, the small ball, and the .667 WP. I really have nothing to complain about. Go Kennedy!

behindenemylines
04-04-08, 12:05 PM
Yeah, and the bloop won it--reminds me of the Jays luck last night.

You're right. The bats are going to come around, though, it's just a matter of time. Any way to squeeze out a win works for me...just would hope that as the season moves on, our starters get wins for their efforts.

The Yankees led in just about every meanigful offensive category last year (on-base percentage and slugging being the two most important, but I also think walks and HR- or at least they were near the top). Even though everyone is one year older, and many of these guys are on the down sides of their careers (Giambi comes to mind, maybe Posada who isn't likely to match last year's numbers) they won't regress that much and we are still going to be a potent offensive team.

The key, as always, will be pitching. This 3-game series was an example of that. Good pitching shut down our batters. Thankfully, we countered with good pitching too and got a few breaks for a change. Overall, however, our pitching might not be so greta. That's my big worry. Can we expect Hughes to be this good all year? What will Kennedy be like? Wang and Pettitte are goint to have ERA'a around 4.00, which is good, but who is going to be our star, top-of-the-rotation starter? Our Beckett, our Santana?

I maintain that if we don't have a guy like this, or if one of the young kids doesn't develop into this, then we won't win the division. We may take the wild-card, but the end result will be the same as last year. We need pitching!!!

nojoke
04-04-08, 12:19 PM
It is 3 games for crying out loud. The good thing is the pitching looks good. The hitting will come around
AND keep in mind it was freezing out there. My college club team has started to practice and after a few cuts of BP outside it feels like you just dumped your hands into snow.

Ynkcpt23
04-04-08, 12:33 PM
I was attempting to be pretty sarcastic in my original post, FWIW. I'll try and avoid the facetious threads in the future... some people apparently have no sense of irony. We should revive the "We're DOOOOOMED!" thread, I guess.

I'm loving the pitching, the small ball, and the .667 WP. I really have nothing to complain about. Go Kennedy!

I thought I smelled irony around here. The we're DOOOOMED! thread can't be too far from the top?? Just posted on it a couple of days ago...it has yet to gain much traction, guess that's what solid play will do.

CoyoteYankee
04-04-08, 01:09 PM
This thread is not "official". Therefore, none of these posts actually exist.

iWant27
04-04-08, 01:14 PM
This thread is not "official". Therefore, none of these posts actually exist.

I was going to post something then i saw that its not official . I couldnt believe my eyes .
Is it possible to have a thread which is not "official" ? :eek:

Ynkcpt23
04-04-08, 01:26 PM
I was going to post something then i saw that its not official . I couldnt believe my eyes .
Is it possible to have a thread which is not "official" ? :eek:

I think we found the irony we were searching for earlier, leutbneot.

R.V.47
04-04-08, 05:53 PM
Damon, Abreu and Giambi were a combined 0-18 against Edwin Jackson.

Mark19
04-04-08, 06:52 PM
Well, I think some folks are starting to figure out the Yankees batters. Throw only strikes and move them inside and outside. The Yankees aren't aggressive and getting them behind in the count will cause them to make bad swings.

destro
04-04-08, 06:54 PM
jesus christ the season just freaking started and you insane people are already going to start complaining.

Mark19
04-04-08, 06:55 PM
jesus christ the season just freaking started and you insane people are already going to start complaining.

It isn't complaining, it is commentary. Sonnanstine seems to have developed a great way to neutralize the Yankees.

sahara
04-04-08, 07:00 PM
I can't believe people are actually seriously worrying over the Yankee offense four games into the season. Four. Games.

destro
04-04-08, 07:07 PM
It isn't complaining, it is commentary. Sonnanstine seems to have developed a great way to neutralize the Yankees.

yes it's freakin complaining.

the season just started. relax, calm down.

Mark19
04-04-08, 07:15 PM
yes it's freakin complaining.

the season just started. relax, calm down.

I'm not allowed to discuss the strengths of opposing pitching? Sonnanstine nearly put together a CG Shut-out against us last year. He's clearly figured something out about facing the Yankees. It is worth discussing.

WebsterMulligan
04-04-08, 07:29 PM
Well, it appears that the floodgates have opened.

Casey37
04-04-08, 07:39 PM
Some people will not be happy unless the Yankees go 162-0.....:giveup:

Mark19
04-04-08, 07:40 PM
It seems Sonnanstine stopped painting the corners and got a little bloodied. Good to see them adjust to him

R.V.47
04-04-08, 09:26 PM
Other than that one inning the offense continued to look bad. Most innings lasted about 30 seconds it seemed when the yanks were hitting.

nyyfanatic85
04-04-08, 11:02 PM
I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried about the offense so far this year. They have looked downright awful.

mgpenguin
04-04-08, 11:40 PM
Why worried? It's been four games. I'll be worried if they're still like this in June.

(which they won't be, so stop worrying and enjoy the fact that you're watching baseball again ;))

teknetic
04-05-08, 12:10 AM
He's clearly figured something out about facing the Yankees. It is worth discussing.

After three starts? two of which were bad (5ER/6IP) and average?

I'll pull out the excuse card and blame it on the weather. If you wonder, "How the hell did Tampa drop 13 on us, then?" I'll just point to those two guys who pitched the 8th.

flymick24
04-05-08, 01:22 AM
how soon before people suggest cano be moved down?

Sam18
04-05-08, 01:42 AM

That'll come after the "Cano got his money and now he doesn't care about hitting anymore".

R.V.47
04-05-08, 07:46 AM

Its a legitimate argument because Matsui is actually hitting a little bit down in the 8th spot.

jnewmark
04-05-08, 07:54 AM
I can't believe people are actually seriously worrying over the Yankee offense four games into the season. Four. Games.

Go back and look at some of last year's and the year before postings for April.

Toaderly
04-05-08, 07:59 AM
I thought we already had a doomation thread?

rodney27nyg
04-05-08, 08:00 AM
Any one got a blog to promote? Surely someone must have two tickets they're selling?

hahaha. This poor ticket seller is catching hell..:D

rodney27nyg
04-05-08, 08:02 AM
Some people will not be happy unless the Yankees go 162-0.....:giveup:

I've lowered my standards to 160-2.

It could happen.;)

I Heart Jeter
04-05-08, 08:07 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing Matsui batting ahead of Cano to be honest with you. Matsui is better at driving in runs.

Rocketbooster
04-05-08, 09:06 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Matsui batting ahead of Cano to be honest with you. Matsui is better at driving in runs.

Matusi is old and tired and frankly, Cano is a much better hitter. We now don't have enough faith in Cano to just stick with him past .........4 games?!

Fans can preach all they want to about patience, but until they show some, it's all talk for me. Just wow.

fredgmuggs
04-05-08, 09:12 AM
Well, I think some folks are starting to figure out the Yankees batters. Throw only strikes and move them inside and outside. The Yankees aren't aggressive and getting them behind in the count will cause them to make bad swings.Throw strikes and pitch in and out. Now there's revolutionary scouting. That's as old as Abner Doubleday and the day the game was invented.

4bronxbombers
04-05-08, 09:17 AM
This thread needs to be merged with the DOOOOOOMED thread. sigh

MattUNC2003
04-05-08, 09:40 AM
As someone pointed out earlier, this thread is not official. If it were merged with the DOOOOOOOOOMED thread, the DOOOOOOOOMED thread would lose its officiality. Which would, in turn, make all of the posts in that thread not only not count, but also they, the posts, would cease to exist.

The disorder created by that occurrence would cause the universe to spontaneously implode. Which would suck.

apalradio
04-05-08, 09:43 AM
For all the members posting concerns, and other members reminding everyone that it's still only April, you both have valid points. The problem is that our offense seems to take three months every season before it warms up. It gets extremely frustrating to watch. The fact that they have the talent and will certainly come around is fine, but meanwhile we don't want to see the team dig itself into the same early season hole again year in and year out.

I Heart Jeter
04-05-08, 10:41 AM
Matusi is old and tired and frankly, Cano is a much better hitter. We now don't have enough faith in Cano to just stick with him past .........4 games?!

Fans can preach all they want to about patience, but until they show some, it's all talk for me. Just wow.

Eventually Cano will be a "Great" hitter and deserve to bat 3rd in the lineup, but he isn't quite there yet.
You may choose to simply dismiss Matsui as "old" and "tired", but he hit 25 HRs and had 103 RBIs last season, with an OBP of .367
No one's saying bench Cano. But should he really be ahead of Matsui in the batting order? Not yet.

Rocketbooster
04-05-08, 11:19 AM
For all the members posting concerns, and other members reminding everyone that it's still only April, you both have valid points. The problem is that our offense seems to take three months every season before it warms up. It gets extremely frustrating to watch. The fact that they have the talent and will certainly come around is fine, but meanwhile we don't want to see the team dig itself into the same early season hole again year in and year out.

It's not just that it's only April, but it's only 4 games. It's ridiculous to get worked up after only a few games. No one is really getting that worked up here, but to even be worried is odd. On Peter A's blog, it's really hard to read because there are so many people ready to proclaim the season a disaster after 4 games......in which the team went 2-2. In 3 of those games, we faced excellent starters so we should be thrilled with 2/3. After Phil's game, everyone was so excited because the Yankees seem to be winning games that they wouldn't have last year; one bad game and it's the end of the world?

Rocketbooster
04-05-08, 11:20 AM
Eventually Cano will be a "Great" hitter and deserve to bat 3rd in the lineup, but he isn't quite there yet.
You may choose to simply dismiss Matsui as "old" and "tired", but he hit 25 HRs and had 103 RBIs last season, with an OBP of .367
No one's saying bench Cano. But should he really be ahead of Matsui in the batting order? Not yet.

Well, we will have to agree to disagree. I much prefer Cano ahead of Matsui and yes, I think he's a better pure hitter.

Yankees Empire
04-05-08, 11:37 AM
No. We are not ever going to score any runs.

teknetic
04-05-08, 01:57 PM
Popouts, DP's, 4 pitch innings, just brutal so far.

Rocketbooster
04-05-08, 02:05 PM
I'm really trying to be positive and I'm not truly worried, but wow. Did the Yankees even show up today? This is embarrassing. They needed to do well on this homestand before heading up on a loooooooooooong road trip and all the good that was done against the Jays is being undone. Now Giambi's hurt?

Logan
04-05-08, 02:10 PM
RF- Abreu
SS- Jeter
3B- Arod
DH- Giambi
LF- Matsui/Damon
C- Posada
2B- Cano
1B- Duncan
CF- Melky

should work

PirateChief
04-05-08, 02:13 PM
I'm really unhappy with how impatient the team has been...Jeter, Cano, and Damon need to slow it down. Now.

Mark19
04-05-08, 02:16 PM
I'm really unhappy with how impatient the team has been...Jeter, Cano, and Damon need to slow it down. Now.

Patience doesn't work when the opposing pitcher throws 60-70% strikes. They are taking bad swings because they are 0-2 or 1-2 before they know it.

YESSIR!
04-05-08, 02:23 PM
Meh, I'm already tired of talking about the other teams pitching. Everytime we face a mediocre pitcher it'll be an excuse at this rate. The Yankees should be scoring more runs today, period. The Rays had no problem blasting two of our starters already.

GimeMoMuny
04-05-08, 02:25 PM
Maybe they should try some first-pitch swinging.

teknetic
04-05-08, 02:26 PM
9-9-7 pitch innings, recipe for success I think.

Mark19
04-05-08, 02:28 PM
Meh, I'm already tired of talking about the other teams pitching. Everytime we face a mediocre pitcher it'll be an excuse at this rate. The Yankees should be scoring more runs today, period. The Rays had no problem blasting two of our starters already.

Well, if it isn't the talent of the opposing pitcher, the only other explanations are that they aren't trying hard enough or they aren't talented enough to generate runs.

hellonewman
Maybe this spring they should have run less and taken BP more. :P

JeterRodriguezSheff
Im not exactly worried after the past 3 seasons of slow starts, but it would be nice to steal a comeback and take advantage of a day Boston is getting their asses handed to them.

mgpenguin
It's crazy... when they try to be patient, the pitcher is throwing strikes and they get behind, but when they try to be aggressive they swing at bad pitches.

JeterRodriguezSheff
04-05-08, 02:29 PM
Maybe this spring they should have run less and taken BP more. :P

Yup they got off to so many fast starts the past 4 seasons, that its obvious the running killed them.

hellonewman
04-05-08, 02:31 PM
Yup they got off to so many fast starts the past 4 seasons, that its obvious the running killed them.Sarcasm detector in the shop?

YankeesAce4Life
04-05-08, 02:34 PM
Maybe they should try some first-pitch swinging.

I agree. They take too many first pitches that are right down the middle. Patience isn't always virtue. :o

sahara
04-05-08, 02:35 PM
Well, if it isn't the talent of the opposing pitcher, the only other explanations are that they aren't trying hard enough or they aren't talented enough to generate runs.

Or they're just slumping and cold right now.

Can't possibly be that.

peeps4iife
04-05-08, 02:36 PM
these slow starts to every season are becoming extremely annoying. how is it that this team can't just do what they're supposed to do. the last 5 years they start AND end the year in the same pathetic fashion (losing).

YankeesAce4Life
04-05-08, 02:37 PM
Abreu!!!!

JeterRodriguezSheff
04-05-08, 02:40 PM
Even if we lose it would be encouraging if we can get some runs here, abreu and a-rod with singles, come on lets at least break out of the cold streak

Mark19
04-05-08, 02:42 PM

Can't possibly be that.

I was playing devil's advocate. They are slumping but the D-Rays and B-Jays have some pretty good arms.

JeterRodriguezSheff
04-05-08, 02:50 PM
I was playing devil's advocate. They are slumping but the D-Rays and B-Jays have some pretty good arms.

Blue Jays? Yes without a doubt. D-Rays? No, they let 2 bottom of the barrel starters off the hook, like they typically do early on in the season.

teknetic
04-05-08, 02:50 PM

Can't possibly be that.

I'd agree, but it doesn't help when the Rays are putting up 5+ in both games. Damon, Cano, Matsui, and Giambi have looked off so far.

Mark19
04-05-08, 02:52 PM
Blue Jays? Yes without a doubt. D-Rays? No, they let 2 bottom of the barrel starters off the hook, like they typically do early on in the season.

Sonnanstine and Jackson aren't bad pitchers, don't be surprised if they do just as well against the Jays and BoSox

sahara
04-05-08, 02:58 PM
I'd agree, but it doesn't help when the Rays are putting up 5+ in both games. Damon, Cano, Matsui, and Giambi have looked off so far.

No, it definitely doesn't.

But it certainly doesn't mean they aren't trying or aren't talented either like Mark is saying are two of the only three true reasons.

Rich
04-05-08, 03:19 PM
I have to admit that I thought this thread wasn't worth posting in when it was first started, but the offense is starting to frustrate me.

JavyVazquezIsSick
04-05-08, 03:23 PM
Damon, Jeter, and Cano have looked terrible at the plate.

27IsNext
04-05-08, 03:27 PM
Everyone but Abreu has looked terrible at the plate at least some games so far.

R.V.47
04-05-08, 03:28 PM
I think the scouting report on the yankees is go right after them, get ahead and they will chase with 2 strikes and both the jays and rays have used this strategy to perfection.

jnewmark
04-05-08, 03:36 PM
I guess it's not your basic Tampa Bay Rays anymore. Ahh, I long for the days when it was just the Yankees and the Sox, and the other teams were just BP.

Rocketbooster
04-05-08, 03:37 PM
I'm sure they'll be fine, but it might be too late by then. The AL East is a beast and the AL overall is very, very tough. I don't want to start looking at the season as "well, at least the kids did ok because the future looks really bright", but the rest of the month is very rough and the Yankees needed to do well on this homestand.

The real problem is something that no one can do anything about. Jeter, for instance, will hit and he'll be his usual self. However, the last couple of years, he hasn't been that great in the clutch. Of course he has his moments, but he's not almost the mortal lock he seemed a few years ago. He grounds into a lot of DP and oftentimes can not get a sac fly to bring in a runner home from third with less than two out. He's not the only one, too - I only use him as an example. The point is, the Yankees have really good hitters. If they aren't going to execute the right way, then there's nothing that can be done. If any combo of Jeter, Damon, Abreu, Posad, A-Rod, Cano don't execute, then it's not like you can bench them and let others play in their place. For all intents and purposes, we have to live and die with these guys. It sounds strange, but the Yankees almost suffer for having so many all-stars in their lineup.

Rocketbooster
04-05-08, 03:38 PM
I guess it's not your basic Tampa Bay Rays anymore. Ahh, I long for the days when it was just the Yankees and the Sox, and the other teams were just BP.

I guess I need to credit the Rays, ok no - I do, but frankly, the Yankees wouldn't beat the Giants right now. They'd look bad against Baltimore, SF and any of the worst teams in the game.

It's nice to hear (from Buck Martinez, on WFAN yesterday) that this team is so focused on doing well in the last season at YS, but they sure aren't showing it.

President Kennedy
04-05-08, 03:48 PM
It's much too early to worry about our lineup. It's frustrating, no doubt, but they're going to score runs and plenty of them. I'm more concerned, and by concerned I mean "focused" on our starting staff. If they hold up their end of the bargain, the lineup will come around.

Allan
04-05-08, 03:53 PM
I wouldn't call McGowan awesome.
Then you're kidding yourself. Barring injury, McGowan will likely outperform most of the Yankees' starters this season.

Rich
04-05-08, 03:57 PM
Then you're kidding yourself. Barring injury, McGowan will likely outperform most of the Yankees' starters this season.

And maybe most of the ML starters. Keith Law predicted that he will be a CYA candidate.

TheBamTino24
04-05-08, 04:00 PM
Halladay and Burnett are arguably the top SP duo in baseball. In fact, I'm having trouble coming up with one as good as when they're healthy.

McGowan was awesome over his final 100 IP in the rotation last year, a sizeable sample.

Sonnanstine and Jackson? Uh...

JfromJersey
04-05-08, 04:37 PM
I think the scouting report on the yankees is go right after them, get ahead and they will chase with 2 strikes and both the jays and rays have used this strategy to perfection.

That's been the scouting report every team has on the Yankees for the past several years. If every pitcher used that strategy successfully there'd be no bottom feeders anywhere in baseball. When the Yankees start mashing pitches in the zone early in the count, pitchers will start getting gun shy again. Good hitting teams hit less than overpowering balls in the strike zone and lay off balls out of the zone no matter where in the count they're thrown. If a pitcher has great stuff and throws it for strikes he will be great no matter which team he faces.

R.V.47
04-06-08, 04:04 PM
Offense still looked bad today but there were faint signs of life. Guys were getting hits but not stringing them together.

philleotardo
04-06-08, 04:45 PM
Then you're kidding yourself. Barring injury, McGowan will likely outperform most of the Yankees' starters this season.I never said any of the Yankees' starters were awesome. Not a great measuring stick.

But Hughes will be better than McGowan long-term.

Kluivert4Ever
04-06-08, 06:13 PM
There is only one thing you will need to know about our offense and that is after 162 games they will have scored around 950 runs.
You can quote me on that.

Sam18
04-06-08, 06:15 PM
There is only one thing you will need to know about our offense and that is after 162 games they will have scored around 950 runs.
You can quote me on that.

Its really hard to score 950 runs.

Kluivert4Ever
04-06-08, 06:16 PM
Its really hard to score 950 runs.

Yes but at the end of the day, they will get it done.

Maybe not 950 exactly but in that neighbourhood for sure.

Sam18
04-06-08, 06:17 PM
Yes but at the end of the day, they will get it done.

Maybe not 950 exactly but in that neighbourhood for sure.

Like 900 neighborhood?

Kluivert4Ever
04-06-08, 06:17 PM
Like 900 neighborhood?

My guess would be no lower than 930.

bigwampum
04-06-08, 06:33 PM
My guess would be no lower than 930.

Second. We're going to see a lot of 12-spots put up this year.

SINCE77 2
04-06-08, 06:50 PM
I'd be happy with 850 runs if they were scored in a consistent fashion.

justinvarnes
04-06-08, 07:11 PM
My thinking is, they've won 3 games before their offense has erupted. that's great!

It's going to. It always does. ALWAYS. This year the yanks have better pitching both in the rotation and in the bullpen.

As silly as this may seem, Im' much more excited to see the team win the low scoring close games. They'll win their fair share of 10-5 and 8-7 games. It's good to get a few really well pitched games under their belts that actually led to a win.

Once the weather warms up these guys will start raking. They're not geting shutout, they're not going hitless. A-Rod looks fine, Cano found his stroke today...and they're playing KC next!!

dabomb2045
04-06-08, 07:23 PM
The fact that ANYONE is worried about this offense six games into the season....is flat out comical to me.

If we keep getting pitching like we have (outside of the Kennedy game)...this team is going to win 100 games this year.

H.Kokubo
04-06-08, 07:31 PM
The next 11 games barring rainouts and injury:
vsTB
Hammel vs Mussina
@KC
Hughes vs Bannister
Kennedy vs Greinke
Pettitte vs Meche
@BOS
Wang vs Beckett
Mussina vs Wakefield/Buchholz?
Hughes vs Matsuzaka
@TB
Kennedy vs Sonnanstine
Pettitte vs Jackson
vsBOS
Beckett vs Wang
Wakefield/Buchholz? vs Mussina

After Hammel, there isn't much of a "should be pushover" guys in there.
I'd say the realistic goal is 6-5, with 7-4 being a huge accomplishment.
The key here is Mussina obviously...those two BOS games are huge.

leutbneot
04-06-08, 07:55 PM
vsTB
Hammel vs Mussina
@KC
Hughes vs Bannister
Kennedy vs Greinke
Pettitte vs Meche
@BOS
Wang vs Beckett
Hughes vs Matsuzaka
@TB
Kennedy vs Sonnanstine
Pettitte vs Jackson
vsBOS
Beckett vs Wang

Hughes vs Bannister is going to be a lot of fun. Both are young and smart. Have you guys all read the Bannister interviews where he discusses his use of sabermetrics? I fell in love instantly. He's one of my new favorite pitchers.

Wang vs. Beckett should be awesome as well. We've got a lot of good baseball to look forward to.

schillondahill
04-06-08, 08:08 PM
Somebody needs to offer up some rum to Jobu or sacrifice a chicken or something. Would be nice to put up a snowman tomorrow night and get the bats going for the road.

Rocketbooster
04-06-08, 10:15 PM
My thinking is, they've won 3 games before their offense has erupted. that's great!

It's going to. It always does. ALWAYS. This year the yanks have better pitching both in the rotation and in the bullpen.

As silly as this may seem, Im' much more excited to see the team win the low scoring close games. They'll win their fair share of 10-5 and 8-7 games. It's good to get a few really well pitched games under their belts that actually led to a win.

Once the weather warms up these guys will start raking. They're not geting shutout, they're not going hitless. A-Rod looks fine, Cano found his stroke today...and they're playing KC next!!

Not silly at all - I completely agree. Cream rises to the top - these guys can hit. We just have to accept the fact that they basically are slow starters and their eyes don't work properly for a couple of weeks. When they start seeing the ball better "all of a sudden", watch how hard they make the pitchers work; no more 3 minute innings, I'll bet.

However, I'm not underestimating any team, KC included.

Rocketbooster
04-06-08, 10:16 PM
vsTB
Hammel vs Mussina
@KC
Hughes vs Bannister
Kennedy vs Greinke
Pettitte vs Meche
@BOS
Wang vs Beckett
Hughes vs Matsuzaka
@TB
Kennedy vs Sonnanstine
Pettitte vs Jackson
vsBOS
Beckett vs Wang

Hughes v. Bannister.......wow, that's an interesting game. That will not be easy for the Yankees (though nothing is right now) as Bannister is very good.

R.V.47
04-06-08, 10:18 PM
I guess its a good sign that they had 8 hits today and especially a good sign that Cano went 2-4 and they werent cheapies either. Once someone gets that big hit to start a big inning I think maybe that will turn on a lightbulb for these guys and get them going.

ymike673
04-07-08, 07:03 AM
vsTB
Hammel vs Mussina
@KC
Hughes vs Bannister
Kennedy vs Greinke
Pettitte vs Meche
@BOS
Wang vs Beckett
Hughes vs Matsuzaka
@TB
Kennedy vs Sonnanstine
Pettitte vs Jackson
vsBOS
Beckett vs Wang

Why does Mussina face the Red Sox twice?. Couldn't the rotation have been set up so this wouldn't have happened.

apalradio
04-07-08, 07:19 AM
Why does Mussina face the Red Sox twice?. Couldn't the rotation have been set up so this wouldn't have happened.Sure. Maybe we could trade him for Beckett before that second game.

justinvarnes
04-07-08, 07:56 AM
Mark my words: one of those games, Mussina will dominate the Sox.

The other game? ehh, let's not talk about that.

YankeePride1967
04-07-08, 08:03 AM
No. Season's over.

27IsNext
04-07-08, 07:13 PM
It's about time the bats started waking up.

THEBOSS84
04-07-08, 07:15 PM
Hammell is pitching batting practice out there. Flat slider after flat slider. This is getting out of hand.

yankee maniac
04-07-08, 07:29 PM
Hammell is pitching batting practice out there. Flat slider after flat slider. This is getting out of hand.

I don't understand how such a good hititing team is making some mediocre pitchers look like Cy Youngs. There is no excuse for letting a pitcher throw a 4 pitch inning. Where did all that famous Yankee patience go?

Rocketman
04-07-08, 07:34 PM
I don't understand how such a good hititing team is making some mediocre pitchers look like Cy Youngs. There is no excuse for letting a pitcher throw a 4 pitch inning. Where did all that famous Yankee patience go?

The Yankees seem to always suck versus bad pitchers. Yet I recall Pedro Martinez had something like a 2.4 ERA against the Yankees during his peak seasons, but with a losing record. I don't get it sometimes.

27IsNext
04-07-08, 07:35 PM

The problem with patience is that the pitchers are throwing strikes and we're taking them, which means they get ahead in the count and are forcing us to swing at bad pitches and either strike out or hit it right to a fielder.

In Mo I Trust
04-07-08, 07:38 PM
The problem with patience is that the pitchers are throwing strikes and we're taking them, which means they get ahead in the count and are forcing us to swing at bad pitches and either strike out or hit it right to a fielder.

I wonder what the numbers say about this. It seems like scrub pitchers/rookies give the Yankees trouble, but I wonder if it just feels like this because we remember when this happens and we don't remember it quite as well when the Yankees pound those guys, because they're supposed to.

YESSIR!
04-07-08, 07:40 PM
It's not even about the pitchers. The Yankees just aren't hitting.

False1
04-07-08, 07:44 PM
Aargh. Please get some hits with RISP. Seriously.

YESSIR!
04-07-08, 07:47 PM
Bobby on 3rd with no outs. Let's knock wood and cross our fingers.

27IsNext
04-07-08, 07:49 PM
Thank you, Abreu and A-Rod. (Abreu especially.)

Ynkcpt23
04-07-08, 07:49 PM
Aargh. Please get some hits with RISP. Seriously.

Just happened. A-Rod is the f****** man.

Yankees13
04-07-08, 07:55 PM
I wonder what Abreu/A-Rod/Matsui's numbers look like compared to the rest of the team. They're the only ones doing anything right now, and have accounted for all 4 runs tonight.

leutbneot
04-07-08, 08:14 PM
Abreu is a double shy of the cycle tonight. If he gets it, I will take it as a good omen.

R.V.47
04-07-08, 10:54 PM
The offense might have officially woken up tonight.

dabomb2045
04-07-08, 11:00 PM
OMGz!! we arent scoring 10 runs a game right now. Seasons over. We suck. Lets all just go home.

Saxmania
04-08-08, 08:11 AM
I regard this as some kind of team-wide tribute to Bernie Williams. Stink in April, then devastate the entire league in July/August.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

LovelyLady114
04-08-08, 02:10 PM
Its only April 8th for pete's sake... We've got 150+ games to go.

Calm it down... geez!

YESSIR!
04-08-08, 06:34 PM
Another two big runs off mediocre pitching. Yeehaw.

4 big strikeouts by A-Rod was pretty impressive, too.

iWant27
04-08-08, 06:39 PM
Posada is out with an injury .

Posada's extension would going to prove one of the worst .

R.V.47
04-08-08, 06:41 PM

4 big strikeouts by A-Rod was pretty impressive, too.

Bannister is definitly not mediocre but just the quality of our at bats today were terrible.

junkman73
04-08-08, 06:55 PM
I thought Girardi was going to be a lot more active than Torre from the bench. I can't say I'm all that impressed thusfar.

This team needs a laugher to loosen up. Hopefully it comes in KC, if not it might not come for a while.

hongchihkuo
04-08-08, 07:26 PM
oakland already has 6 R on 9 H through 4 IN against burnett in toronto. mussina could have used that type of support in his first start.

False1
04-08-08, 07:40 PM

4 big strikeouts by A-Rod was pretty impressive, too.I share your excitement about today's performance. This offense is a juggernaut but it always seems to go into spells where it can't get a single timely base hit.

On the A-Rod comment... A-Rod has gotten raped twice in the last two games with horrible 3rd strike calls. The first strikeout today was legit, but that 2nd one was miserable. I'm sure he's at a loss after yesterday and today in terms of where the zone is. But he's the last one I'm worried about.

Damon has looked horrible, and when Cano hits the ball hard it's right at someone.

YESSIR!
04-08-08, 08:16 PM
I share your excitement about today's performance. This offense is a juggernaut but it always seems to go into spells where it can't get a single timely base hit.

On the A-Rod comment... A-Rod has gotten raped twice in the last two games with horrible 3rd strike calls. The first strikeout today was legit, but that 2nd one was miserable. I'm sure he's at a loss after yesterday and today in terms of where the zone is. But he's the last one I'm worried about.

Damon has looked horrible, and when Cano hits the ball hard it's right at someone.

Yeah I hear you, some of the pitches to A-Rod were out of the zone, but he has to foul those border-line pitches off with two strikes. You can't just sit there and trust the ump to always call it in your favor, because at least as often as not, the call is going to go the other way. With two strikes he needs to defend the zone a little better.

I agree I'm not real worried about him either, but it just adds unsult to injury when your $28million man has stuck out in his last 5 ABs.

Damon came around a little the last two games, 2 walks and a single today ain't bad. Cano has looked lost a lot of the time at the plate.

BRNXBMRS
04-09-08, 07:20 AM
RISP do the yanks know what this means?

Martini6196
04-09-08, 07:37 AM
It'll come around soon enough and they'll start hammering teams like they did last year.

mattieR
04-09-08, 09:16 AM

Same thing happened last season plenty of times. I thought they would have worked on it in the off-season :mad:

I have complete faith that the bats will wake up, but I just can't deal with another season of scoring 100 runs in 3 games, then getting 1 hit in each of the next 2-3 games.

apalradio
04-09-08, 06:01 PM
Same thing happened last season plenty of times. I thought they would have worked on it in the off-season :mad:

I have complete faith that the bats will wake up, but I just can't deal with another season of scoring 100 runs in 3 games, then getting 1 hit in each of the next 2-3 games.A little exaggerated, but a valid point. Somehow, the team's approach in recent seasons has yielded the same results. Long stretches of ineptitude against mediocre pitching, followed by stretches of offensive mashing, followed by us turning nobodies into Cy Young wannabes. A little consistency would be a nice change of pace.

Ynkcpt23
04-09-08, 06:51 PM
Yeah I hear you, some of the pitches to A-Rod were out of the zone, but he has to foul those border-line pitches off with two strikes. You can't just sit there and trust the ump to always call it in your favor, because at least as often as not, the call is going to go the other way. With two strikes he needs to defend the zone a little better.

I agree I'm not real worried about him either, but it just adds unsult to injury when your $28million man has stuck out in his last 5 ABs.

Damon came around a little the last two games, 2 walks and a single today ain't bad. Cano has looked lost a lot of the time at the plate.

I absolutely agree. I have never understood why he watches so many borderline pitches. I know he trusts his batting eye, and to be fair he's gotten shafted on a few calls in his recent at-bats. But, like you said, he needs to protect the zone better--at least he'd give himself another chance to swing.

Rich
04-09-08, 08:51 PM
Apparently not.

teknetic
04-09-08, 08:52 PM
I don't even get "excited" when we put the leadoff man on base anymore.

mithrill
04-09-08, 08:52 PM
wake me up when we do

YanksForLife
04-09-08, 08:54 PM
wake me up when we do

You will be well rested, this team looks like it is going to sleep walk through April yet again.

Yankees13
04-09-08, 08:54 PM
It's gonna get worse before it gets better with Jeter and Posada out. We better hope they heal quickly.

yankee maniac
04-09-08, 08:55 PM
I don't even get "excited" when we put the leadoff man on base anymore.

Of course you don't, if the leadoff man gets to first the next batter grounds into a double play and if the leadoff man gets a double he doesn't advance. Its just mind boggling how a supposedly great hitting team can't hit with men on base

R.V.47
04-09-08, 08:56 PM
Ive seen some bad yankees offensive performances but the start of this season might be setting a new standard for ineptness.

dabomb2045
04-09-08, 08:56 PM
Ok...I'm officially pissed off with our offense. Its getting ridiculous that we cannot score runs.

hellonewman
04-09-08, 08:57 PM
Same garbage every April.

BronxBombersMRP
04-09-08, 08:58 PM
Getting frustrating to watch.... hopefully yanks can get it together and score some runs tonight

Torre Must Go
I keep thinking they're too talented to be struggling like this for this long, but this is now past frustrating.

JeterForPresident
So unless they suddenly pick it up, it would seem Girardi's boot camp and all that running didn't do anything to get the offense going from day 1. At least everyone is in good shape, maybe they can actually play come september and October.

b-ball-lunachick
04-09-08, 09:02 PM
It's pathetic that it's 3-0 in the 6th vs KC and it feels like the game is completely out of reach because our offense apparently can't score any runs...blech...

R.V.47
04-09-08, 09:02 PM
So unless they suddenly pick it up, it would seem Girardi's boot camp and all that running didn't do anything to get the offense going from day 1. At least everyone is in good shape, maybe they can actually play come september and October.

October??
http://www.spikedpunchvolleyball.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/jim-mora.thumbnail.jpg

YanksFan1992
04-09-08, 09:03 PM
I am not too concerned yet, but if this continues I will be.

Entering tonight we were averaging 3 and 1/8 runs per game and it hasn't gotten any better. Against good staffs I wouldn't be worried but we are doing this against Tampa Bay and Kansas City. :eek:

I am sure we will bounce back soon though.

teknetic
04-09-08, 09:05 PM
I keep thinking they're too talented to be struggling like this for this long, but this is now past frustrating.

All that talent hasn't stopped them from stinking up the joint in October the last three years. I've just begun to multiply by 2 for every run the opposition scores, they're that bad.

sahara
04-09-08, 09:08 PM
One of these days, they're going to explode and go off on a tear. There should be no reason to doubt this.

It's just incredibly frustrating waiting for that day.

mithrill
04-09-08, 09:11 PM
another frustrating evening.
pfffffffffff

JfromJersey
04-09-08, 09:13 PM
Considering how bad this offense looks right now it's amazing this team is hovering around .500.

mithrill
04-09-08, 09:16 PM
i'm amazed we have 4 hits allready tonight

51BWilliams
04-09-08, 09:16 PM
The realist in me says ' This will end ';

The fan in me says 'Let me out of here, this team blows' :)

R.V.47
04-09-08, 09:28 PM
i'm amazed we have 4 hits allready tonight

Im amazed we have 4 wins watching this lineup. Those 4 wins are a credit to our pitching.

Ynkcpt23
04-09-08, 09:43 PM
Im amazed we have 4 wins watching this lineup. Those 4 wins are a credit to our pitching.

The fact that I agree with you says a lot about what's going on with our team.

Also, in terms of quality starts, Mussina of all people is performing better than most?!?! S***. This had better turn around, too much talent to watch all of these 1,2,3 innings. Not to mention tonight, the kid with no MLB experience, known for a light bat, doubles, only to watch Damon strike out to end the inning.

Mark19
04-09-08, 09:44 PM
Wow, they don't even respect us. They are using a total unknown Japanese reliever instead of their closer.

Gehrig39
04-09-08, 09:45 PM
The realist in me says ' This will end ';

The fan in me says 'Let me out of here, this team blows' :)

:-werd-: Since this team is basically the same as last year I assumed they would all go into slumps at the same time quite often...I'm just sick of them digging the team into a deep hole every year that we need to struggle to get out of until September 30, when we fall flat on our face in the playoffs.

Ynkcpt23
04-09-08, 09:55 PM
:-werd-: Since this team is basically the same as last year I assumed they would all go into slumps at the same time quite often...I'm just sick of them digging the team into a deep hole every year that we need to struggle to get out of until September 30, when we fall flat on our face in the playoffs.

Man, I've been saying that for weeks!!! Nothing can help the injuries, but the absent offense just means that we are putting ourselves behind. We badly need to stay within shouting distance in the east. We can't rely on being the best team in the AL in the second half like last year, we have got to scratch out wins now! DJ and JoPo will be back soon enough, we have to limit the damage until they get back. But we are so disjointed as a team right now, I dread heading to Boston this weekend.

bcom33
04-09-08, 09:56 PM
to answer the original question...no.

frostdude1
Trade this entire offense with Tampa

R.V.47
Please tell me tonight is rock bottom for this offense.

MattUNC2003
04-09-08, 09:58 PM
Please tell me tonight is rock bottom for this offense.

Well, look at the bright side, you can't score negative runs.

hellonewman
04-09-08, 09:59 PM
9 games, 25 runs. It's like a last-place team from the Deadball Era.:barf:

Mark19
04-09-08, 10:00 PM
After 9 games, the collective team OPS is roughly .640

Do realize that on average, all of our hitters have been as effective as Tony Pena Jr?

BonusCantos
04-09-08, 10:01 PM
The bats will come alive, but until they do, they'll probably be relatively familiar with the loss column. The pitching can't win low-scoring games every night, as if 0 would have gotten it done tonight anyway.

Ynkcpt23
04-09-08, 10:04 PM
The bats will come alive, but until they do, they'll probably be relatively familiar with the loss column. The pitching can't win low-scoring games every night, as if 0 would have gotten it done tonight anyway.

0 doesn't even get it done in soccer. This is turning into last 2007 Pt. Deux. And it's almost as funny as Hot Shots with the same title. :mad:

jeterismyhomeboy
04-09-08, 10:06 PM
I said it in the game thread, but they're suffering on fundamentals. It would be different if they weren't getting the balls to drop, or they were hitting line drives that always seem to get robbed with spectacular diving catches...

But they've had runners on third with less than two out and haven't driven them in. They've had leadoff doubles that don't move. They have leadoff runners on and immediately hit into DP's on the first or second pitch, before you'd even think of sending the runner. They are popping up and doing tons and tons of unproductive outs. I'm not usually knee-jerk, but this is not even a mediocre offensive team right now.

TheInfallibleOne
04-09-08, 10:07 PM
Well, look at the bright side, you can't score negative runs.
yet...

Ynkcpt23
04-09-08, 10:09 PM
I said it in the game thread, but they're suffering on fundamentals. It would be different if they weren't getting the balls to drop, or they were hitting line drives that always seem to get robbed with spectacular diving catches...

But they've had runners on third with less than two out and haven't driven them in. They've had leadoff doubles that don't move. They have leadoff runners on and immediately hit into DP's on the first or second pitch, before you'd even think of sending the runner. They are popping up and doing tons and tons of unproductive outs. I'm not usually knee-jerk, but this is not even a mediocre offensive team right now.

You're absolutely right. The complete lack of any "clutch" hitting or any hitting with RISP is killing us. The Royals?!? The f****** Royals?!? Next thing you'll be telling me that Baltimore is off to a good start too...

justtxyank
04-09-08, 10:13 PM
It's not even the lack of "clutch" (lol) though. She made the point when she mentioned they are making unproductive outs before the manager can even consider sending a runner.

Has a single starter aside from yesterday's debocle had to labor to get through the game? I mean these guys are having 5, 6, 9 pitch innings routinely against us. That's not Yankee baseball.

R.V.47
04-09-08, 10:13 PM
You're absolutely right. The complete lack of any "clutch" hitting or any hitting with RISP is killing us. The Royals?!? The f****** Royals?!? Next thing you'll be telling me that Baltimore is off to a good start too...

Were talking about the Royals!!.... The Royals, Not the Sox, the Royals

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/nba/_photos2/2002-05-07-iverson2.jpg

Bern51
04-09-08, 10:19 PM
Runs scored after 9 games in the 10 previous seasons:

2007: 56
2006: 65
2005: 42
2004: 41
2003: 65
2002: 50
2001: 68
2000: 45
1999: 69
1998: 52

2008? 25

jeterismyhomeboy
04-09-08, 10:21 PM

2008? 25

*Sobs*

:( :( :(

justtxyank
04-09-08, 10:22 PM

2008? 25

WOW :eek:

R.V.47
04-09-08, 10:23 PM

2008? 25

Also its roughly the same lineup as 06 and 07.

J Pold
04-09-08, 10:25 PM

2008? 25
Barf.

BonusCantos
04-09-08, 10:28 PM

2008? 25 1989: 24, the last 9-game start that was as bad as this offensively (that team was 2-7).

Ynkcpt23
04-09-08, 10:28 PM
It's not even the lack of "clutch" (lol) though. She made the point when she mentioned they are making unproductive outs before the manager can even consider sending a runner.

Has a single starter aside from yesterday's debocle had to labor to get through the game? I mean these guys are having 5, 6, 9 pitch innings routinely against us. That's not Yankee baseball.

Yes, I got her point. I was speaking to an inability to drive runs in with RISP, JIMH was speaking more to impatient at bats and their effect on our offense, i.e. not moving runners over, and weak pop flies, foul outs, etc. that show our impatience.

And I completely agree with you that we aren't playing Yankee baseball at all, by which I mean we aren't making their pitchers suffer through really long AB's, driving up pitch counts and being a teamwide pain in the a**. Another post earlier asked why we make weak starting pitching look like Cy Young material? Here's the answer: we aren't using the philosophy (which I think you're talking about) that has made us so successful.

Ynkcpt23
04-09-08, 10:30 PM

2008? 25

Ugh. I guess I shouldn't have had mean thoughts about hellonewman who said we're hitting like a team in the dead ball era...

Bern51
04-09-08, 10:33 PM
For another depressing perspective - the inning when the Yankees scored their 26th run of the season:

2007: 4th game, 9th inning
2006: 6th game, 2nd inning
2005: 5th game, 7th inning
2004: 6th game, 2nd inning
2003: 3rd game, 3rd inning (!)
2002: 7th game, 3rd inning
2001: 6th game, 1st inning
2000: 7th game, 5th inning
1999: 4th game, 7th inning
1998: 6th game, 4th inning
2008: 10th game...hopefully???

Bern51
04-09-08, 10:35 PM
1989: 24, the last 9-game start that was as bad as this offensively (that team was 2-7).

The difference being that the 1989 cleanup hitter on opening day was Steve Balboni, not Alex Rodriguez.

Ynkcpt23
04-09-08, 10:36 PM
For another depressing perspective - the inning when the Yankees scored their 26th run of the season:

2007: 4th game, 9th inning
2006: 6th game, 2nd inning
2005: 5th game, 7th inning
2004: 6th game, 2nd inning
2003: 3rd game, 3rd inning (!)
2002: 7th game, 3rd inning
2001: 6th game, 1st inning
2000: 7th game, 5th inning
1999: 4th game, 7th inning
1998: 6th game, 4th inning
2008: 10th game...hopefully???

Do we really need to pile on at this point?! More ugh. :upset:

DisabledMess
04-09-08, 10:39 PM
The Yankees will turn this around and Kennedy is going to be a star pitcher. He just needs one more start. We all know that the Yankees will turn it around.

Bern51
04-09-08, 10:39 PM
Do we really need to pile on at this point?! More ugh. :upset:

Ha, sorry. :) I just find it fascinating in a morbid way that in 2003 the Yankees scored as many runs as this team in less than 1/3 of innings played. What's funny is that I still feel like this team can outscore that team over the course of the season.

1936-1939JoeNLou
04-09-08, 11:32 PM

2008? 25

Somebody shoot me.

NYYMazda
04-09-08, 11:56 PM
We all knew it was bad.. but when you put it into a list like that.. holy crap, I just feel like crying, haha.

1936-1939JoeNLou
04-10-08, 12:19 AM
To be fair though the Yankees have been going up against a lot of good pitchers.

Halladay
Burnett
Mcgowan

The above three are all top of the line starters with great stuff. The last thing we needed was to face those three to start the season. They put the Yanks in an early season slump.

Sonnastine
Jackson
Hammels
Shields

Sonnastine was hit up a bit. I think it was 6 runs. Jackson has great stuff and he was painting the corners with his 95 fastball. Hard to hit anybody like that. No excuse for Hammels, he should of been hit. Shields is the Rays best pitcher and he has a great change-up, so thats another decent pitcher.

Bannister
Greinke

Bannister has emerged as one of the better starters in the league. An absolute wizard on the mound who goes deep into games. We should be happy we got him out in 5 innings. Greinke is another starter with great stuff who seems to be a different pitcher the last year and a half. He was on aswell.

So out of the 9 starters we faced, 5 had great stuff, Bannister and Shields are aces, Sonnastine was hit a bit and we only really failed to maul Hammels. Give the pitchers some credit. Jackson and Greinke always had great stuff and when they are on they are unhittable.

The pitchers always have the advantage starting the year. When the weather heats, so do our bats. Pitchers will fatigue easier and we would have gotten second looks.

The offense will turn it around. All that is needed is patience.

jeterismyhomeboy
04-10-08, 12:23 AM
Yeah, Bannister was on the ropes as much as Hughes. We should have had him out of there after 3. Hammels we did better against than Sonnastine, but Jackson was willing to be wild if there hadn't been so many early swings. Greinke was beatable tonight, and the Yankee offense of yore would have been more patient and taken advantage of a leadoff walk, a leadoff double and two two-out pseudo-rallies.

They're off to the worst start since the 1989 Yankees. I think that speaks for itself, really.

1936-1939JoeNLou
04-10-08, 12:34 AM
But its not like they're facing Mark Hendrickson.

surge511
04-10-08, 12:50 AM
The thing is, the pitching, which everyone thought would be the big question mark all year, hasn't even been that bad. The starters have kept us in almost every game (with a few exceptions), and the bullpen has been good. If we were hitting, we would be next to unstoppable right now, which is frustrating, because we all know there will be a stretch this year when the pitching falters for a period of time. The hitters better put it together soon.

peeps4iife
04-10-08, 12:58 AM
To be fair though the Yankees have been going up against a lot of good pitchers.

Halladay
Burnett
Mcgowan

The above three are all top of the line starters with great stuff. The last thing we needed was to face those three to start the season. They put the Yanks in an early season slump.

Sonnastine
Jackson
Hammels
Shields

Sonnastine was hit up a bit. I think it was 6 runs. Jackson has great stuff and he was painting the corners with his 95 fastball. Hard to hit anybody like that. No excuse for Hammels, he should of been hit. Shields is the Rays best pitcher and he has a great change-up, so thats another decent pitcher.

Bannister
Greinke

Bannister has emerged as one of the better starters in the league. An absolute wizard on the mound who goes deep into games. We should be happy we got him out in 5 innings. Greinke is another starter with great stuff who seems to be a different pitcher the last year and a half. He was on aswell.

So out of the 9 starters we faced, 5 had great stuff, Bannister and Shields are aces, Sonnastine was hit a bit and we only really failed to maul Hammels. Give the pitchers some credit. Jackson and Greinke always had great stuff and when they are on they are unhittable.

The pitchers always have the advantage starting the year. When the weather heats, so do our bats. Pitchers will fatigue easier and we would have gotten second looks.

The offense will turn it around. All that is needed is patience.

so is that the reason we have been having VERY short octobers in NY lately?

this is so frustrating... and it's more frustrating to hear "you have to give them credit" so many times.

apalradio
04-10-08, 06:02 AM
The difference seems to be that all of these pitchers with "great stuff" are horribly inconsistent when you look at their complete body of work. Yet when they face the Yanks, they are always "on", and we "have to give them credit". For years I've been watching the Red Sox take great pitching apart by getting clutch hits and raking up and down the lineup. Meanwhile, our guys always have to tip their caps to a pitcher who had great stuff. What about great hitting?

I Heart Jeter
04-10-08, 06:13 AM
When the hitters are doing so badly (look at their avg with RISP), it is very frustrating to see them not able to do the simple, fundamental things... like driving in a runner from 3rd with less than 2 outs. They've been wasting a lot of leadoff doubles too.
The offense has just been pathetic.

ymike673
04-10-08, 06:59 AM
Nine games into the season and the Yankees have no stolen bases. Wonder if that's ever happened before.

Rocketbooster
04-10-08, 07:07 AM
Yeah, Bannister was on the ropes as much as Hughes. We should have had him out of there after 3. Hammels we did better against than Sonnastine, but Jackson was willing to be wild if there hadn't been so many early swings. Greinke was beatable tonight, and the Yankee offense of yore would have been more patient and taken advantage of a leadoff walk, a leadoff double and two two-out pseudo-rallies.

They're off to the worst start since the 1989 Yankees. I think that speaks for itself, really.

But let's not fool ourselves - the Yankee dynasty teams went into slumps, I'm sure (well, except for 1998 at the very beginning of the season) like every team does. I don't know which comes first, the chicken or the egg, but whether they start seeing the ball well first or start hitting first, the other will follow and they will have their usual very long at bats. When they are on, they will make pitchers work their tails off just to get through one inning.

Also, neither Bannister nor Sheilds are aces yet; I'd like to see pitchers have more than one good season before I declare them that. Greinke unhittable? I'm not giving him that much credit, even when he's on. He's good, no doubt, but not unhittable. Few pitchers are. If the Yankees were not all collectively in a team doze, he would have been knocked out of the game early.

Axon
04-10-08, 07:42 AM
“You look around and you’ve got young kids over there running around like maniacs, and we’re playing like a bunch of old men right now,” said the Yankees’ Jason Giambi (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/g/jason_giambi/index.html?inline=nyt-per), who is 1 for 18. “They’re playing good baseball. Unfortunately, we just haven’t really put anything together.”

Sums it up for me.

shadyridr
04-10-08, 08:29 AM
yet...

:lol: awesome

BRNXBMRS
04-10-08, 09:09 AM
The Yanks have scored the fewest runs in their first eight games (25) since 1989 when they scored 19. :eek:

YESSIR!
04-10-08, 09:13 AM
The difference seems to be that all of these pitchers with "great stuff" are horribly inconsistent when you look at their complete body of work. Yet when they face the Yanks, they are always "on", and we "have to give them credit". For years I've been watching the Red Sox take great pitching apart by getting clutch hits and raking up and down the lineup. Meanwhile, our guys always have to tip their caps to a pitcher who had great stuff. What about great hitting?

I'm with this. Lauding the other teams pitchers every game for their incredible performances could continue all year. Tampa Bay and KC have staffs that we can score runs off of, period. And with as great a lineup as the Yankees are supposed to have it's just not happening.

So far opposing teams have scored a total of 38 runs off of us, yet we've managed only 25 through 9 games. Basically, this team has been straight garbage at the plate.

It's funny that this is the worst start in at least 12 years. Maybe it's Girardi? haha.

Giambi's comment^^ is also dead on, and I said it in another thread: watching these young line-ups like TB and KC make me jealous; they're on the upswing while the yankees continue to decline with age.

Ynkcpt23
04-10-08, 09:26 AM
I'm with this. Lauding the other teams pitchers every game for their incredible performances could continue all year. Tampa Bay and KC have staffs that we can score runs off of, period. And with as great a lineup as the Yankees are supposed to have it's just not happening.

So far opposing teams have scored a total of 38 runs off of us, yet we've managed only 25 through 9 games. Basically, this team has been straight garbage at the plate.

It's funny that this is the worst start in at least 12 years. Maybe it's Girardi? haha.

Giambi's comment^^ is also dead on, and I said it in another thread: watching these young line-ups like TB and KC make me jealous; they're on the upswing while the yankees continue to decline with age.

I hate to have to agree but there is no reasonable alternative--we have just been complete crap on offense.

The real thing is, though, that our guys know how unbearably long a baseball season is--the kids that Giambi is talking about running around right now will hit a rather solid wall come summer. I'm not suggesting we're "saving ourselves" for later or nonsense like that, I just think that the way our team is put together, we require a substantial warm up period. Cano and Melky (and Gonzalez) aside, we're pretty old collectively. It will take some time to get in the groove.

yankeeman61
04-10-08, 09:47 AM
“You look around and you’ve got young kids over there running around like maniacs, and we’re playing like a bunch of old men right now,” said the Yankees’ Jason Giambi (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/g/jason_giambi/index.html?inline=nyt-per), who is 1 for 18. “They’re playing good baseball. Unfortunately, we just haven’t really put anything together.”

Sums it up for me.

I'm glad "When Healthy" is perceptive enough to recognize the differences. Of course he is part of the problem he identified. He comes up lame (in so many ways) by stretching for a throw, which is what a 1st baseman is suppose to do. And yet he was in such great condition that he was expected to play 70-80 games in the field this year. He is also suppose to protect ARod in the lineup. From what? The weather?

These guys are running out of excuses. Damon actually said it best stating they can't keep saying it's early night after night. As fans, we can't keep blaming cold weather on everything. The other teams have to play through the same conditions and they are doing a better job of it the the Yankees right now. They need to cut the crap and start doing what they're suppose to do. It's getting late early.

ojo
04-10-08, 10:00 AM
so is that the reason we have been having VERY short octobers in NY lately?

this is so frustrating... and it's more frustrating to hear "you have to give them credit" so many times.

exactly. if anything, it's justification for 100 million over 200 million dollar payrolls. cuz the diminishing return line aint too much further beyond 100 million.