PDA

View Full Version : Associated Press: Demoted Halama Throws Perfect Game

Jimbo
07-08-01, 04:43 AM
July 8, 2001

Demoted Halama Throws Perfect Game

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 2:26 a.m. ET

TACOMA, Wash. (AP) -- John Halama, recently demoted by the Seattle Mariners to Triple-A Tacoma, threw a perfect game Saturday night in the Rainiers' 6-0 victory over Calgary.

The left-hander, sent to the minors June 28 after he struggled in consecutive starts for the Mariners, retired all 27 batters in order for the first nine-inning perfect game in the 99-year history of the Pacific Coast League.

``I was just trying to stay within myself,'' Halama told The News Tribune of Tacoma after the game. ``I got sent down here for a specific reason: to get my mechanics back and to get the ball down.''

Halama struck out nine, and got 11 outs on grounders and seven on flyouts.

``My first two games here I've gotten a lot of groundball outs,'' said Halama, who is 2-0 since joining Tacoma.

The feat came just four nights after Brett Tomko, also recently sent down by the Mariners, pitched a no-hitter against Oklahoma City.

Halama made the final putout, covering first base on Ben Candelaria's grounder.

Todd Betts saved the perfect game in the seventh by leaping off the first-base bag to grab a throw from shortstop Ramon Vazquez and tagging out Mike Gulan.

Halama, 29, had allowed 13 runs -- 10 earned -- and 15 hits in 7 1-3 innings in two starts before being sent to Tacoma. Halama was 6-5 with a 5.42 ERA in 16 starts for the Mariners.

He was 14-9 with a 5.08 ERA in 30 starts last season, and made two starts, with no decisions, against the New York Yankees in the ALCS.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/sports/AP-BBM-Halama-Perfect-Game.html

NyMike
07-08-01, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Jimbo
The feat came just four nights after Brett Tomko, also recently sent down by the Mariners, pitched a no-hitter against Oklahoma City.

Hmm, this sounds a little fishy to me. Both of these guys have been rumored in trade talks, and were sent to the minors to "just work out their mechanics". Now they're throwing no-hitters and perfect games?;)