PDA

View Full Version : Henson Adjusting to AAA?



Gator
07-07-01, 06:16 PM
Over his past 6 games, Drew Henson has gone 9-23 (.391) with 7 RBI. He struggled when first called up to Columbus after a brief stay at Double-A, but it seems he's now coming into his own.

Hopefully, he'll give Nick Johnson some much needed protection in that thin Columbus lineup.

DandyRandy48
07-07-01, 07:09 PM
Still, he's batting .211 after 3 weeks! That is not good. He has had two weeks two many to adjust to AAA.

Gator
07-07-01, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Cat Man
Still, he's batting .211 after 3 weeks! That is not good. He has had two weeks two many to adjust to AAA.

Actually, he's up to around .230.

Cat Man, we know you're not a big Henson fan, but could you give the guy a chance? He wasn't even playing baseball 6 weeks ago.

DandyRandy48
07-07-01, 08:24 PM
Too bad. Other players do it, he should too.

Gator
07-07-01, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Cat Man
Too bad. Other players do it, he should too.

You're cold, Cat Man :)

YankessNo1Fan
07-08-01, 12:44 AM
After today's game (2 for 3 and 3 runs scored) he is batting 250. That is after a very bad start in AAA. If he keeps improving like he has been he should be ready buy next year.

Cat man what is your problem with Henson. You dog him all the time and never have anything nice to say about him. He is getting better all the time. Did he steal your girlfriend or something in high school. I can't believe you are so down on him. I think .250 in AAA after three weeks is not bad at all especially after a slow start and not ever playing a full season of baseball anywhere.

You must really hate NJ. He is only hitting .253, he been up at AAA all year and played many seasons before in the minors.

I think it is time to give up your constant bashing of Henson. He is getting better all the time and should be ready for the big leagues next year.

RDFiato51
07-08-01, 01:01 AM
The Internet provides easy access to minor league box scores and offensive stats, but can anyone who has seen him play in person comment on his defense?

wileedog
07-08-01, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Cat Man
Too bad. Other players do it, he should too.

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY goes from not playing baseball full time to AAA in 6 weeks. And after doing that to spend all of 2 weeks in AAA and then starting hitting really well?

I'm sorry, Cat Man, but its looking more and more like you are dead wrong about this guy.

DandyRandy48
07-08-01, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by YankessNo1Fan
After today's game (2 for 3 and 3 runs scored) he is batting 250. That is after a very bad start in AAA. If he keeps improving like he has been he should be ready buy next year.

Cat man what is your problem with Henson. You dog him all the time and never have anything nice to say about him. He is getting better all the time. Did he steal your girlfriend or something in high school. I can't believe you are so down on him. I think .250 in AAA after three weeks is not bad at all especially after a slow start and not ever playing a full season of baseball anywhere.

You must really hate NJ. He is only hitting .253, he been up at AAA all year and played many seasons before in the minors.

I think it is time to give up your constant bashing of Henson. He is getting better all the time and should be ready for the big leagues next year.


I believe they traded Henson to Cincinatti for a reason... because he couldn't cut in in AA last year. If he couldn't cut it in AA last year, what makes you think he's going to do good in AAA or in the majors. Erick Almonte is much, much better than Henson and is not getting as much money as Henson.

No, I like Nick Johnson. Nick will make it to the majors. Nick is just in a small slump, Henson is just not good.

No, I will continue to bash Henson, because he is not worth what we are paying him. He should be traded for someone who has a hint of talent and/or is all ready in the bigs.

Spencerholic
07-08-01, 03:03 PM
Cat Man they didn't trade him because he couldnt hack AA!!!!! They traded him because they thought he'd pick football over baseball! Get your facts straight.

PS. Rumor has it someone probably saw Jorge have two bad games in the minor leagues, but he turned out okay didn't he? Oh and Jeter, remember he completely sucked when he started in the minors the first time. If Henson is as "bad" as Jorge and Jeter, then I think the Yanks are very lucky.

RDFiato51
07-08-01, 03:18 PM
In his last three games, Henson is 6-11 (.545) with 5 runs scored and 3 RBI.

Right now, obviously, $1M is a bit much for a AAA player, but I have a feeling that he'll be a bargain by the latter part of his contract.

Henson has more than just a "hint" of talent. To be where he is and not have yet played 200 professional games (I believe he's around 187 right now) is impressive.

NyMike
07-08-01, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Cat Man
No, I will continue to bash Henson, because he is not worth what we are paying him

I don't think anyone really cares <i>why</i> you're bashing him. It's the simple fact that you're bashing him at all. Criticizing is one thing. You are blatantly and admittantly bashing him with no rhyme or reason for why.

DandyRandy48
07-08-01, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Spencerholic
Cat Man they didn't trade him because he couldnt hack AA!!!!! They traded him because they thought he'd pick football over baseball! Get your facts straight.


Bull................! Look at his numbers at Norwich before they traded him last year. Crap if you ask me. That's the reason they traded him, not because of football, because of his numbers. They'll make any excuse for their reasoning why they got rid of a player. I did a backflip when they traded him.

RDFiato51
07-08-01, 09:26 PM
Henson had a .287 average with 7 HR and 39 RBI in AA Norwich.

If the Yankees traded him because they thought he was bad, why would they have re-acquired him and given him a $17 million contract?

bagger015
07-09-01, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by RDFiato51
Henson had a .287 average with 7 HR and 39 RBI in AA Norwich.

If the Yankees traded him because they thought he was bad, why would they have re-acquired him and given him a $17 million contract?


:eek: Obvious answer....... to piss off a certain Yankee Fan.....:p :rolleyes:

ChicagoYankeeFan
07-09-01, 09:10 AM
Some people may not like his cockiness, but the bottom line is that he's 21, can play 3B defensively, hits lefty, and has amazing power potential. I think he'll have a hot end of the season this year and make it tough on the Yankees to decide whether or not they need to get a fill-in at third for next year or to give the job to him.

In prospects, Age matters even more than performance in some instances and Henson and Nick Johnson have their ages in their favor. Unlike Ottavinia (who, btw, I like a lot) and some other prospects discussed here, they are 21 and 22 respectively and will only continue to improve over the next FIVE years.

RDFiato51
07-09-01, 10:46 AM
Henson is a righty.

ChicagoYankeeFan
07-09-01, 01:57 PM
I don't think it changes the substance of what I had to say, however. There's not a GM in the league that wouldn't love to have this guy in their system and committed to playing baseball over football.

deanvm
07-09-01, 03:01 PM
I saw Henson play about 20 times last year when he was at Norwich. He has a very quick bat and plays very good defense. His HR's would be out in any park. He has great power.

husk
07-10-01, 06:50 PM
Okay........enough Cat Man for me.....I won't read another thread he starts.

Bluesexy's daddy
07-12-01, 01:25 PM
I am actualy excited about Henson's future with the YANKEES.

Yes he is overpaid. Yes he may have made a brash statement or two. He is very young. At his current rate of progression he would be an ALLSTAR next year. His progress has been outstanding compared to 99.9 % of the players in the history of the American League. A few have gone from college directly to the major leagues. That was the case with Dave Winfield(in the National League) and a couple others.

Ted Williams did not make it this far in this time span. Compared to Williams at age 21 (or age 35 for that matter) Henson is not brash at all. Compared to Reggie Jackson Henson is very humble. Joe Dimaggio, Mantle, Ford, Berra, Munson, Charlie Keller, Billy Martin, Elston Howard, Don Mattingly, and almost every YANKEE that ever played the game did not come this far this fast.

It is NOT even close to normal for players to spend one year playing minor league ball before coming to the majors. It is normal for them to spend two or more years in A and AA before making it to AAA.

While none of this guarantees any success for Henson as a YANKEE, I find it statisticly completely unsound to say that he is not doing well. If compared to others with the same number of minor league games played he has thus far been sensational beyond even the YANKEES expectations.:NY:

DandyRandy48
07-12-01, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by husk
Okay........enough Cat Man for me.....I won't read another thread he starts.


About Henson, right? I love all of the other minor leaguers to death.

Elfdood
07-12-01, 05:49 PM
BSD - this is actually Henson's third year in the minor leagues. But he's never played baseball full-time, and that he's not embarrassing himself in AAA is more than most players whose professional baseball experience consists of a couple of partial seasons can claim. And he's young for his league.

23Mattingly4ever
07-13-01, 08:42 PM
Let cat man think what he wants, everyone knows he is right and we are all wrong. so what if all the scouts think he is awsome, what do they know? so what if i saw him hit a 450 foot bomb last year in a AA game, big deal he sucks!!!

DandyRandy48
07-14-01, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by 23Mattingly4ever
Let cat man think what he wants, everyone knows he is right and we are all wrong. so what if all the scouts think he is awsome, what do they know? so what if i saw him hit a 450 foot bomb last year in a AA game, big deal he sucks!!!


Glad you agree ;)