PDA

View Full Version : Jericho cancelled. Again

Yankeesfan924
03-22-08, 05:24 PM
I know some other people on the board here like the show. I just think this shows what we're becoming as a country. So many people are into stupid reality shows like The Bachelor and Survivor, that a good, creative show like Jericho can't get enough viewers.

Not to mention:
a) This show was set up to fail. There was a hiatus in the first season, so there was several months between episodes. It was put in the same time-slot as American Idol. Then, when it was brought back, there were barely any ads for it, and then once it was on, it was put on at 10 o' clock on Tuesdays.

b) The reason for the cancellation was because "there weren't high enough ratings." No, the ratings weren't great, but they completely ignore people without Nielsen boxes, people who watch it from streaming video online, people who buy it on iTunes, and people who watch it on TiVo.

I think it shouldn't have been cancelled.

baseballrules214
03-22-08, 05:33 PM
I guess it's time to send more nuts to CBS.

Yankeesfan924
03-22-08, 06:12 PM
I guess it's time to send more nuts to CBS.

Lol, I tell you, on IMDB, people are getting organized to fight for Jericho again.

JeterForPresident
03-22-08, 06:14 PM
Lol, I tell you, on IMDB, people are getting organized to fight for Jericho again.

They just have to remember this time that after they send the nuts they actually have to watch the show.

Yankeesfan924
03-22-08, 06:51 PM
They just have to remember this time that after they send the nuts they actually have to watch the show.

They do. It's just that a lot of people don't want to start watching when they know there's a good chance the show is going to get cancelled. And like I said, a lot more people watch the show than are counted in the Nielsen ratings.

I've watched the show since the beginning.

26 and counting
03-22-08, 06:53 PM
I've watched the first half of the first season, and I think it's a really good show. I don't like it as much as 24, but it's still entertaining. This is really disappointing to hear.

NYYDragoon
03-22-08, 07:00 PM
Err...

(What is Jericho?)

TheManKnownAsMecca
03-22-08, 07:17 PM
Err...

(What is Jericho?)

A twice cancelled show on CBS. Duh!

Yankeesfan924
03-22-08, 09:22 PM
Err...

(What is Jericho?)

A show that used to air on CBS. It was cancelled after the first season. Brought back for a half-season because of campaigning of its fans [sending peanuts to CBS HQ. You'd need to watch the show to know why]

The show is about how a town in Kansas copes with a post-nuclear war world.

The first season was good, but IMO the second is better. The second goes into political corruption and is amazing. The writing is much better.

There's still hope that it may get picked up by a cable network.

TheManKnownAsMecca
03-22-08, 09:28 PM
The SciFi channel will pick it up I bet.

Yankeesfan924
03-22-08, 10:22 PM
The SciFi channel will pick it up I bet.

Sci-Fi already passed. USA or TNT is the best bet.

RhodeyYankee2638
03-22-08, 10:53 PM
It can probably air on USA after Raw or Steve-O's show

TheManKnownAsMecca
03-23-08, 12:29 AM
Sci-Fi already passed. USA or TNT is the best bet.

I'm surprised they passed. That is the perfect show for that station.

thecaptain
03-23-08, 10:51 AM
Tuesday is the final... i think it will be done... no bringing it back .... After watching last weeks show i thought this is one heck of a show. I like it from the start .. . a few days later its gone ... :(

Sillycon
03-23-08, 04:26 PM
Well, I'll be sending nuts again if that's what it'll take.... It's a shame how the hiatus/strike killed the momentum of the show. Also a tragedy that CBS didn't push the show. You'd think that after the nuts campaign, they'd push the marketing on the show.

baseballrules214
03-23-08, 05:41 PM
Well, I'll be sending nuts again if that's what it'll take.... It's a shame how the hiatus/strike killed the momentum of the show. Also a tragedy that CBS didn't push the show. You'd think that after the nuts campaign, they'd push the marketing on the show.
Same here, I'll be sure to bother CBS as much as possible. They really are a joke of a network. They set Jericho up to fail.

destelle
03-24-08, 10:52 AM
Awww man - I really like this show. Was pissed when it got cancelled the first time - overjoyed when it got a second life.
And this season has been great - I think I look forward to this show the most every week.
Damn. I hope another station picks it up.

tdel23
03-24-08, 12:31 PM
It's a shame it's a pretty good show, I'm upset its gone again.

I read there is a good chance a cable network won't pick it up because of the high production costs.

They also shot 2 endings, one that will tie up some loose ends and one with a cliff hanger ending...guess we are getting the one that ties up the loose ends.

montrealer
03-24-08, 12:42 PM
Just watched the 1st two episodes last nite..........

RhodyYanksFan
03-24-08, 12:58 PM
Another casualty of the times. Arrested Development got canceled after 2 1/2 seasons but The War at Home lasted at least 5.

Quality TV is too few and far between and most times networks don't give the shows a real chance.

RhodyYanksFan
03-24-08, 01:00 PM
Another casualty of the times. Arrested Development got canceled after 2 1/2 seasons but The War at Home lasted at least 5.

Quality TV is too few and far between and most times networks don't give the shows a real chance. Times are changing and just because the nielsen ratings are low, that's not the be-all-end-all. DVR, downloads and network website/hulu viewings should be taken into consideration. Unfortunately it's easier to just cancel it and put on "_______ with the (C list) stars!" for 8 weeks.

YanksFan1992
03-24-08, 01:04 PM

Quality TV is too few and far between and most times networks don't give the shows a real chance.

I really liked Jericho but I never really watched it that much.

However, the War At Home only lasted 2 seasons. :o

RhodyYanksFan
03-24-08, 01:16 PM
I really liked Jericho but I never really watched it that much.

However, the War At Home only lasted 2 seasons. :o

My bad. OK, substitute that show for Jim Belushi's, or George Lopez's awful shows.

tdel23
03-24-08, 03:51 PM

Quality TV is too few and far between and most times networks don't give the shows a real chance. Times are changing and just because the nielsen ratings are low, that's not the be-all-end-all. DVR, downloads and network website/hulu viewings should be taken into consideration. Unfortunately it's easier to just cancel it and put on "_______ with the (C list) stars!" for 8 weeks.

and the thing that sucks is they will replace it with a show that will do just as bad in the ratings.

Big_E
03-24-08, 04:08 PM
I know some other people on the board here like the show. I just think this shows what we're becoming as a country. So many people are into stupid reality shows like The Bachelor and Survivor, that a good, creative show like Jericho can't get enough viewers.

Not to mention:
a) This show was set up to fail. There was a hiatus in the first season, so there was several months between episodes. It was put in the same time-slot as American Idol. Then, when it was brought back, there were barely any ads for it, and then once it was on, it was put on at 10 o' clock on Tuesdays.

b) The reason for the cancellation was because "there weren't high enough ratings." No, the ratings weren't great, but they completely ignore people without Nielsen boxes, people who watch it from streaming video online, people who buy it on iTunes, and people who watch it on TiVo.

I think it shouldn't have been cancelled.

People who watch a show on TiVo within a week are counted in the ratings, from what I remember.

RhodyYanksFan
03-24-08, 04:16 PM
People who watch a show on TiVo within a week are counted in the ratings, from what I remember.

Do the cable companies keep track of that, or is it just the 1% neilsen families too?

Yankeesfan924
03-24-08, 05:16 PM
I'm surprised they passed. That is the perfect show for that station.

Exactly. They already have a show with a similar plot in production. :(

Yankeesfan924
03-24-08, 05:28 PM
Do the cable companies keep track of that, or is it just the 1% neilsen families too?

The only people they count are the Neilsen families.

thecaptain
03-25-08, 11:37 AM
Series finale episode tonight at 10 pm

tdel23
03-25-08, 11:48 AM

what an outdated system the Neilsen ratings are.

RhodyYanksFan
03-25-08, 12:46 PM
what an outdated system the Neilsen ratings are.

I know. You'd think they'd be able to keep track of what's on or what's being DVR'd. I mean the cable/satellite companies are able to give the tv guide data over the air, I'm sure they could tap into that to see what's being watched. It's probably just another chip in the cable box. Multi-billion dollar industry has its rates determined by 1% of people using 30 year old processes.

Big_E
03-25-08, 02:58 PM
I know. You'd think they'd be able to keep track of what's on or what's being DVR'd. I mean the cable/satellite companies are able to give the tv guide data over the air, I'm sure they could tap into that to see what's being watched. It's probably just another chip in the cable box. Multi-billion dollar industry has its rates determined by 1% of people using 30 year old processes.

But it would have to be an opt-in system. The Nielsen families were asked by Nielsen, and agreed to participate. I do not think that everyone would want their viewing habits monitored 24/7 by their cable/satellite company.

mjdlight
03-25-08, 03:04 PM
Network TV is dying. 95 percent of the good TV is on premium channels now.

The shows I have really enjoyed over the past 10 years:

- Sopranos
- Six Feet Under
- Curb Your Enthusiasm
- Weeds
- Dexter (so brilliant. Best show on TV right now. Don't watch the watered down version on CBS)
- Carnivale
- The Wire
- West Wing
- Gilmour Girls

Two shows on network TV -- two! I have no use for reality TV either. I don't think ad supported model works anymore. Doesn't give shows a chance to grow, because the results have to show instantly.

And finally, the ridiculously puritanical PTC/FCC crack down on 'indecency" in the aftermath of the stunning, horrible, devastation that was the 2 second exposure of Janet Jackson's nipple has had a real chilling effect on creativity and expression at the networks.

RhodyYanksFan
03-25-08, 03:16 PM
But it would have to be an opt-in system. The Nielsen families were asked by Nielsen, and agreed to participate. I do not think that everyone would want their viewing habits monitored 24/7 by their cable/satellite company.

Our phone calls are already monitored by the government, what's the big deal with Cablevision knowing that I watch Lost live, but everything else on DVR? ;)

tdel23
03-25-08, 03:17 PM
Network TV is dying. 95 percent of the good TV is on premium channels now.

The shows I have really enjoyed over the past 10 years:

- Sopranos
- Six Feet Under
- Curb Your Enthusiasm
- Weeds
- Dexter (so brilliant. Best show on TV right now. Don't watch the watered down version on CBS)
- Carnivale
- The Wire
- West Wing
- Gilmour Girls

Two shows on network TV -- two! I have no use for reality TV either. I don't think ad supported model works anymore. Doesn't give shows a chance to grow, because the results have to show instantly.

And finally, the ridiculously puritanical PTC/FCC crack down on 'indecency" in the aftermath of the stunning, horrible, devastation that was the 2 second exposure of Janet Jackson's nipple has had a real chilling effect on creativity and expression at the networks.

sorry kind of a thread hijack...about Dexter, are the CBS story lines and Showtime storylines the same or are they completly 2 different shows, I realize the CBS one is going to be watered down, but is it a totally different show?

tdel23
03-25-08, 03:19 PM

don't cable companies already monitor what DVR's are recording?

RhodyYanksFan
03-25-08, 03:42 PM
sorry kind of a thread hijack...about Dexter, are the CBS story lines and Showtime storylines the same or are they completly 2 different shows, I realize the CBS one is going to be watered down, but is it a totally different show?

I think it's like the Sopranos on A&E. Same show, just all the good stuff cut out. Like watching an R rated movie on network TV.

Yankeesfan924
03-25-08, 04:29 PM
The only shows I watch regularly are Jericho and House. House has been on hiatus forever, so Jericho has been keeping me going. :(

Yankeesfan924
03-25-08, 04:29 PM
Jericho gets cancelled after a season and a half, but we need 10 seasons of Big Brother and 3 different CSIs?

mjdlight
03-25-08, 10:59 PM

Like Rhody says, it will be like Sopranos on A&E, a heavily edited "verision" of the show that won't be the show at all.

If you have any interest in Dexter, I implore you to buy/rent it on DVD instead of watching on CBS assuming you don't have a Showtime subscription.

Hell, PM your address and I'll mail you DVD-Rs. :) Just don't watch it on CBS. It would pain me to think that people will experience its greatness in that debased form.

TheTinoMobile
03-25-08, 11:21 PM
At least they went out with a bang... I thought that was one of the best episodes I've seen, tonight.

baseballrules214
03-25-08, 11:35 PM
Great episode tonight, I just hope that another network will pick it up. It's a great show and it deserves a fair shot.

Big_E
03-26-08, 09:42 AM
don't cable companies already monitor what DVR's are recording?

I dunno, do they? Can they tell what I am only watching, versus when I hit the record button? Can they tell the difference between what I am watching on the main tuner, versus what I am recording in the background on the second tuner?

Can satellite companies, which are connected differently than cable?

tdel23
03-26-08, 11:08 AM
I dunno, do they? Can they tell what I am only watching, versus when I hit the record button? Can they tell the difference between what I am watching on the main tuner, versus what I am recording in the background on the second tuner?

Can satellite companies, which are connected differently than cable?

I was always under the impresssion they can monitor what shows are being recorded. I could have sworn a few weeks again I saw ratings for DVR'd/Tivo'd shows. I don't think they can tell watch you are watching just what is being recorded.

tdel23
03-26-08, 11:09 AM
Like Rhody says, it will be like Sopranos on A&E, a heavily edited "verision" of the show that won't be the show at all.

If you have any interest in Dexter, I implore you to buy/rent it on DVD instead of watching on CBS assuming you don't have a Showtime subscription.

Hell, PM your address and I'll mail you DVD-Rs. :) Just don't watch it on CBS. It would pain me to think that people will experience its greatness in that debased form.

thanks for the heads up it's now #1 on my netflix queue :)

Big_E
03-26-08, 04:00 PM
I was always under the impresssion they can monitor what shows are being recorded. I could have sworn a few weeks again I saw ratings for DVR'd/Tivo'd shows. I don't think they can tell watch you are watching just what is being recorded.

But are those for people who have Nielsen boxes?
For cable companies with two-way communication?
For people who pay TiVo directly?

Does that include people who have a non-TiVo DVR? I have two Hughes/TiVo boxes in my house, and one DirecTV+ receiver.

Yankeesfan924
03-26-08, 04:35 PM
Fantastic episode [until the last 25 seconds :mad:]

At least the ending was open so someone else could pick it up.

tdel23
03-28-08, 11:52 AM
I was reading Entertainment Weekly last week and they do have DVR ratings so they are able to see what shows are being recorded.

edit: a google search showed they started this in June of 2006 but it's still run by Nielsen...

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/recent_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001772126

Big_E
03-28-08, 01:19 PM
I was reading Entertainment Weekly last week and they do have DVR ratings so they are able to see what shows are being recorded.

edit: a google search showed they started this in June of 2006 but it's still run by Nielsen...

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/recent_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001772126

But it's for Nielsen Families who also have DVR's.

the additional viewing that occurred the same day via the DVR were minimal, because Nielsen currently has only 60 DVR homes in its national panel of 9,000 homes.

Those 60 households are far from representative of the estimated 8-9 million homes in the U.S. that have DVRs today.

The are not (or were not) tracking average people like me who have a DVR or three...

penfold
03-28-08, 03:46 PM
But it's for Nielsen Families who also have DVR's.

The are not (or were not) tracking average people like me who have a DVR or three...

IMHO, Nielsen has NEVER achieved a valid critical mass for tracking that actually represents what the majority of folks are watching. It's like asking 5 people who they'd vote for president and then claiming a candidate's going to win because 3 out of 5 people said that they'd vote for that person.

thecaptain
04-09-08, 10:16 AM
Comcast and CBS are in talks to bring Jericho back to viewers.

NYY40
04-09-08, 10:31 AM
Comcast and CBS are in talks to bring Jericho back to viewers.

LOL, again. Why don't they just leave it alone? You'd think CBS would have learned their lesson by now...

I hate the Nielsen ratings. It's so inaccurate and undependable. With the technology they have with cable and satellite boxes these days, they could easily install something that tracks what people watch. The choice would be on the consumers whether or not they want their watching habits being tracked. If they do, they should get a rebate off their cable/satellite bill.

RhodyYanksFan
04-09-08, 10:41 AM
LOL, again. Why don't they just leave it alone? You'd think CBS would have learned their lesson by now...

I hate the Nielsen ratings. It's so inaccurate and undependable. With the technology they have with cable and satellite boxes these days, they could easily install something that tracks what people watch. The choice would be on the consumers whether or not they want their watching habits being tracked. If they do, they should get a rebate off their cable/satellite bill.

:-rofl-: :-rofl-:

TongueStripes
04-09-08, 10:50 AM
I wish they would bring Jericho back but it'll never happen

NYY40
04-09-08, 10:58 AM
:-rofl-: :-rofl-:

What's so funny? I'm not talking about a full rebate. $5 or $10 off or something like that is very reasonable for participating in such valuable market research. Think a little before you react.

destelle
04-09-08, 11:10 AM
I wish they would bring Jericho back but it'll never happen

Me, too. I really enjoyed that show - got sucked in one Saturday night when I was home and they replayed an episode. Watched ever since.

RhodyYanksFan
04-09-08, 11:30 AM
What's so funny? I'm not talking about a full rebate. $5 or $10 off or something like that is very reasonable for participating in such valuable market research. Think a little before you react.

I've dealt with the cable company. They wanted $5 to change my wife's name when we got married.

Big_E
04-09-08, 11:35 AM
I've dealt with the cable company. They wanted $5 to change my wife's name when we got married.

Cablevision came to my house yesterday to solicit me. As I saw them coming up my walk I cut them off and said "DirecTV customer. Very happy. Don't want to switch to Cablevision." The guy kept asking questions until I slammed the door in his face. He would not accept no for an answer.

NYY40
04-09-08, 11:40 AM

OK... has little to do with my comments. I've been "nickle and dimed" by them too. They raised my rates like $8 and decreased my $20/month rebate by $5 in the same month.

Point is, marketing companies and media conglomerates will pay cable/satellite companies a lot of money to gather this invaluable information. If they're smart, they'd give people some benefits to participate in this market research, which infringes upon people's privacy.

Big_E
04-09-08, 11:47 AM
OK... has little to do with my comments. I've been "nickle and dimed" by them too. They raised my rates like $8 and decreased my $20/month rebate by $5 in the same month.

Point is, marketing companies and media conglomerates will pay cable/satellite companies a lot of money to gather this invaluable information. If they're smart, they'd give people some benefits to participate in this market research, which infringes upon people's privacy.

There's 100,000,000 households in this country. If everyone said they could use $5 a month, it would cost $500,000,000 a month, or $6,000,000,000 a year to collect this information. Even if only the poorest 20% said they could use a $5 discount, thats still $100,000,000 a month, or $1,200,000,000 a year.

Yankeeah
04-09-08, 12:57 PM
Then instead of $5 off your bill, make it off a PPV purchase. That way, people who don't buy PPV's will be enticed to buy one.