PDA

View Full Version : Hank responds to Papelbon by calling him a mouse

Retire21
03-15-08, 10:32 AM
I couldn't make this stuff up:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03152008/sports/yankees/owner__bosox_closer_a_mouse_102071.htm

DaSh 1s
03-15-08, 10:42 AM
The Mouth speaks again

Panamaniac42
03-15-08, 10:49 AM
If mouses have sphincters for mouths, then yeah, I guess he is a mouse.

Retire21
03-15-08, 10:53 AM
"I don't know if he's trying to stir things up or not," the Bosox closer said. "I sure as hell don't care, because he sure as hell hasn't stepped on a baseball field. He needs to just stick to pencil-pushing, I guess."

Hammerin' Hank fired back yesterday.

"Being insulted by Papelbon is like being attacked by a mouse," Steinbrenner told The Post.
"John Henry and I traded a couple of jabs good-naturedly," he added. "So now, all of a sudden, this player, this 20-something kid who really doesn't know his way in the world, comes out with a personal insult. There's no excuse for that."

I don't mind Hank putting Papelbon in his place. On one hand, you might say, 'what idiot owner talks about another team's players?' For me, the idiot player on another team bad mouthing another team's owner outweighs it. Papelbon fits in nicely with the low class fraternity of Beckett, Schilling, Pedro. You admire his talent, but his juvenile antics (John Rocker, Jr., anyone?) place him in the gutter for me.

BillBuckner
03-15-08, 10:57 AM
If mouses have sphincters for mouths, then yeah, I guess he is a mouse.
Now thats what he should have said.

nhyankeefan
03-15-08, 11:05 AM
Did Papelbon even insult Hank? He should have kept his mouth shut, but I wouldn't call "he needs to stick to pencil pushing" an insult.

bigjf
03-15-08, 11:14 AM
I love Hank more and more every day. *Starts to remodel study room into Hank shrine*

JavyVazquezIsSick
03-15-08, 11:22 AM
:lol: Thats amazing.

4bronxbombers
03-15-08, 11:25 AM
Hahaha....Papelbon is a punk and needs to be put in his place. :P Hank has a big mouth but the "pencil pushing" comment was disrespectful IMO.

ppa79
03-15-08, 11:26 AM
This is one time I don't mind Hank opening his mouth.

Steph19
03-15-08, 11:54 AM
Hank is reminding me more of George. He's almost got the absurd comparison to animal thing down.

Yankees1962
03-15-08, 11:59 AM
Hank is reminding me more of George. He's almost got the absurd comparison to animal thing down.
As long as Hank holds his baseball people in high regard and listens to their advice, he will be much better than the younger George Steinbrenner.

Meecham4ever
03-15-08, 12:05 PM
At least Hank is going to let bygones be bygones and not talk about the Red Sox anymore this year...;)

(another CONTEST perhaps? Over-under anyone?)

4bronxbombers
03-15-08, 12:08 PM
At least Hank is going to let bygones be bygones and not talk about the Red Sox anymore this year...;)

I don't blame him for taking a shot at Papelbon's "pencil pushing" comment.

yankeebot
03-15-08, 12:08 PM
Hank. Heh. I'm amused.

tdel23
03-15-08, 12:11 PM
Hank being Hank

PinstripePride
03-15-08, 12:12 PM
Holy crap, this is getting out of hand. :lol:

YASS
03-15-08, 12:18 PM

Over/under of one month?

I'll take the under.

ppa79
03-15-08, 12:21 PM
As long as Hank holds his baseball people in high regard and listens to their advice, he will be much better than the younger George Steinbrenner.

exactly

jjc1977
03-15-08, 12:25 PM
I like the fact the Yanks are getting a little fiesty again...

Game4Tino
03-15-08, 12:25 PM
I just find it amazing that it's been 8 years since the Yankees won a title, but there is still so much hate.

Panamaniac42
03-15-08, 12:40 PM
Did Papelbon even insult Hank? He should have kept his mouth shut, but I wouldn't call "he needs to stick to pencil pushing" an insult.

Are you kidding?

Retire21
03-15-08, 12:42 PM
I just find it amazing that it's been 8 years since the Yankees won a title, but there is still so much hate.

From the Red Sox standpoint, we have seen this before. Like in Spring Training 2005 after they won and popped off about the Yankees numerous times, they just don't handle their success very well- especially as it relates to the Yanks. They have the little brother syndrome and so do their fans.

Remember Manny holding up the sign at the 2004 parade "Jeter is golfing today." Remember Boston fans chanting "Yankees Suck" when the Patriots won their first Super Bowl in 2002. They can't even celebrate their wins without thinking about the Yanks. I am convinced some Red Sox fans spend more time hating the Yankees then they do pulling for their own team. I think Rick Pitino called it The Fellowship of the Miserable.

BBombers85
03-15-08, 12:47 PM
Seriously? No one has been creative enough to make some sort of illustration yet? Like at least a mouse with papelbon for a face?

ShaneTravis
03-15-08, 12:47 PM
Redsox fans anti defamation league in 3...2...1...

YASS
03-15-08, 12:51 PM
Redsox fans anti defamation league in 3...2...1...
Keep counting.

I think it's hilarious.

sahara
03-15-08, 01:01 PM
Papelbon fits in nicely with the low class fraternity of Beckett, Schilling, Pedro. You admire his talent, but his juvenile antics (John Rocker, Jr., anyone?) place him in the gutter for me.

Comparing Papelbon to Rocker is utterly ridiculous.

Also if they're low class, honestly, so are the Yankees now, so long as Hank keeps playing this game and Yankee fans cheer him on in it -- and that's fine, but we can't pretend to be 'better' like we used to be either.

We're just like them. :(

Retire21
03-15-08, 02:16 PM
Comparing Papelbon to Rocker is utterly ridiculous.

I was referring more to their antics on the mound than things said off it. I stand by the remarks- Papelbon reminds me of Rocker when he's on the mind with all of his tough guy antics.

We're just like them. :(

Maybe to the general baseball fan who doesn't follow this stuff as closely. But to say we're just like them I think is utterly ridiculous and a slap in the face to Yankee players and their fans. If Yankee players behaved like some of the Red Sox players, I would be absolutely ashamed to be a Yankee fan. If the Yankees celebrated their Dynasty run by trashing a rival team/city, I would not be proud to be a Yankee fan.

I don't hate the Red Sox like some of you. I love the history of the game and can appreciate the Red Sox are in a period in their history not seen since 1914-1918. As someone who loves history, I think that's cool. My problem with the Red Sox is that it is difficult for me to be happy for their players or their fans, though I like people like Francona, Lowell, Wakefield, because guys like Beckett, Manny, Schilling, and Papelbon constantly run their mouths or disrespect the game with their play (see Manny). The Yankees have had their players who have been easy targets for fans of other teams (Knoblauch, Clemens, Leyritz, Sheffield, Brown, even Alex), but I think the Yankees are genuinely known around the league as classy and respectful, largely because of Jeter, Mo, Andy, Bernie, Jorge, and (take a breath, some of you) Joe Torre. To say we're just like them is inaccurate.

NelsonMuntz
03-15-08, 02:33 PM
This is one time I don't mind Hank opening his mouth.
Co-sign.

Retire21
03-15-08, 03:00 PM
More Hank:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3294998

Hank is on a roll............

MassNYYfan
03-15-08, 03:16 PM
Ask Jerry Jones in Dallas, he'll tell you that. That's why they want to do business with us.

:barf: :barf: :barf:

frostdude1
03-15-08, 03:20 PM
I love Hank

teknetic
03-15-08, 03:21 PM
I love Hank

Truth. He might come off as a pompous jackass, but I find it hilarious.

"The Straw"
03-15-08, 03:31 PM
The guy is a complete Jackass that makes me cringe everytime he opens that rectum under his nose. What exactly has this Clown done to make him think he has the clout to talk endless nonsensical trash in MLB :confused: Falling into the Yankee's front office isn't an accomplishment, it's a gift! he should start acting accordingly and show the Game and more importantly the Yankees some respect. This isn't a reality T.V. show! grow up and shut up. Papelbon=1 W.S. Ring Hank= 0

frostdude1
03-15-08, 03:33 PM
Can someone photoshop this mouse on papelbon's head for me :D

http://a536.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/101/l_1a38508ab88d750db41be644e1b5765f.jpg
http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/images/2007/12/21/image3638275.jpg

sahara
03-15-08, 03:37 PM
I was referring more to their antics on the mound than things said off it. I stand by the remarks- Papelbon reminds me of Rocker when he's on the mind with all of his tough guy antics.

As opposed to say, Joba and his fist pumping and screaming?

The Yankees have had their players who have been easy targets for fans of other teams (Knoblauch, Clemens, Leyritz, Sheffield, Brown, even Alex), but I think the Yankees are genuinely known around the league as classy and respectful, largely because of Jeter, Mo, Andy, Bernie, Jorge, and (take a breath, some of you) Joe Torre. To say we're just like them is inaccurate.

We used to be on another level than them. We had bad eggs, just like they did/do, but the overall image was above it.

So long as we have Hank going off continually like this and almost the entire fanbase applauds him, on top of how obsessed with now are with them in general, we're on their level.

And again, that's fine. Pretending otherwise just seems hypocritical though.

False1
03-15-08, 04:03 PM
More Hank:

Hank is on a roll............I chuckled at the Papelbon comments. Not as crazy about Hank's "subsidy" comments today. That was foolish. It's one thing to have a little trash talk with the Sox FO and to respond to the Rays FO's nonsense, but sweeping comments like that towards everyone not in NY or Boston? Use your head man.

Retire21
03-15-08, 04:38 PM
As opposed to say, Joba and his fist pumping and screaming?

So fist pumping=ridiculous tough guy act?

So long as we have Hank going off continually like this and almost the entire fanbase applauds him, on top of how obsessed with now are with them in general, we're on their level.

And again, that's fine. Pretending otherwise just seems hypocritical though.

As this board demonstrates, I don't think almost the entire fanbase applauds Hank. I think most of what he has said is true, but that doesn't mean I like it or even applaud him.

I will agree that our ownership seems just as obsessed with BOS as they seem to be with us; the difference however, and maybe this was the point I was trying to make, is that our players seem to care less about Boston. Red Sox players, however, seem to have this Yankee inferiority complex where every time they do something well, it has to be thrown back at us. That is where to me, we have not sunk to their level and I am proud of the players for that.

Giuseppe Franco
03-15-08, 05:19 PM
You're right. Our players aren't obsessed with the Red Sox. They're obsessed with the Rays. And as far as sinking to their level...well, someone should ask Reggie...

montrealer
03-15-08, 05:33 PM
Just Hank being Hank.......

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p149/montrealer07/kaaaaaaan.png

NYYDragoon
03-15-08, 05:48 PM
More Hank:

Hank is on a roll............That wasn't really necessary. Playing the money card won't help him make friends.

But suprisingly, his comments to Pap made me laugh.

Yankees Empire
03-15-08, 08:26 PM
Hank Steinbrenner: Born on 3rd base and thinks he hit a triple.

Meecham4ever
03-15-08, 08:47 PM

Maybe to the general baseball fan who doesn't follow this stuff as closely. But to say we're just like them I think is utterly ridiculous and a slap in the face to Yankee players and their fans. If Yankee players behaved like some of the Red Sox players, I would be absolutely ashamed to be a Yankee fan. If the Yankees celebrated their Dynasty run by trashing a rival team/city, I would not be proud to be a Yankee fan.

I don't hate the Red Sox like some of you. I love the history of the game and can appreciate the Red Sox are in a period in their history not seen since 1914-1918. As someone who loves history, I think that's cool. My problem with the Red Sox is that it is difficult for me to be happy for their players or their fans, though I like people like Francona, Lowell, Wakefield, because guys like Beckett, Manny, Schilling, and Papelbon constantly run their mouths or disrespect the game with their play (see Manny). The Yankees have had their players who have been easy targets for fans of other teams (Knoblauch, Clemens, Leyritz, Sheffield, Brown, even Alex), but I think the Yankees are genuinely known around the league as classy and respectful, largely because of Jeter, Mo, Andy, Bernie, Jorge, and (take a breath, some of you) Joe Torre. To say we're just like them is inaccurate.

3-2-1..till we hear about the steroids...

sierchio
03-15-08, 08:47 PM
For Frostdude http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p91/spoondogg66/mouse.jpg

yanksphan
03-15-08, 09:05 PM
Hilarious

JDPNYY
03-15-08, 09:27 PM
Jerry Papelbon.

Mangycur
03-15-08, 10:24 PM
He should start using Andy Kaufman's rendition of the Mighty Mouse theme song as his entrance music. "Heeeeere I come to SAVE the daaaaaay..." That would be cool. As would a year or two of stone silence from Hank Steinbrenner, come to think of it.

YASS
03-15-08, 11:00 PM
He should start using Andy Kaufman's rendition of the Mighty Mouse theme song as his entrance music. "Heeeeere I come to SAVE the daaaaaay..." That would be cool. As would a year or two of stone silence from Hank Steinbrenner, come to think of it.
That would, if fact, be the most awesome entrance tune in the history of Major League Baseball.

Retire21
03-15-08, 11:27 PM

That's hilarious. Cue that when he comes in to save a game at Yankee Stadium. That would be too funny.

Roberto Kelly
03-15-08, 11:52 PM
The guy is a complete Jackass that makes me cringe everytime he opens that rectum under his nose. What exactly has this Clown done to make him think he has the clout to talk endless nonsensical trash in MLB :confused: Falling into the Yankee's front office isn't an accomplishment, it's a gift! he should start acting accordingly and show the Game and more importantly the Yankees some respect. This isn't a reality T.V. show! grow up and shut up. Papelbon=1 W.S. Ring Hank= 0

Thanks for posting Mr. Papelbon. We value your input.

JDPNYY
03-15-08, 11:55 PM
Mice everywhere are feeling insulted.

Prison Mike
03-15-08, 11:57 PM
His comment about the subsidy is unnecessary- whether or not it's true.

Retire21
03-16-08, 12:07 AM
Thanks for posting Mr. Papelbon. We value your input.

:-rofl-: :-rofl-: :-rofl-:

Yankees13
03-16-08, 10:51 AM
I don't care for his meddlesome ways and inability to keep quiet about anything, but Hank is fast becoming a legend with these kind of comments. Great stuff.

Mangycur
03-16-08, 11:04 AM
That would, if fact, be the most awesome entrance tune in the history of Major League Baseball.

I think maybe Carl Pavano, encased in a John Travolta bubble while being wheeled out to the mound to Money For Nothing would top it.

Mangycur
03-16-08, 11:10 AM
I don't care for his meddlesome ways and inability to keep quiet about anything, but Hank is fast becoming a legend with these kind of comments. Great stuff.

He's trading school yard taunts with a half-wit who's half his age. The only thing I see him becoming is a buffoon of Homer Simpson proportions. It just floors me when his boorish behavior is applauded.

Cattledog
03-16-08, 11:31 AM
How dare Hank insult mice everywhere :eek: !

Edited to add: Oops... JDPNYY beat me to it.

NewYorkMantle
03-16-08, 11:43 AM
enjoy

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/736/77856853mu8.jpg

ny
03-16-08, 11:50 AM
enjoy

:lol: :gulp:

Jersey Yankee
03-16-08, 12:09 PM
Which animals did George compare others to?

NewYorkMantle
03-16-08, 12:11 PM
irabu = fat pussy toad

CallOfTheCrow
03-16-08, 01:11 PM

How many rings for Clay Bellinger & how many for A-Rod, Mussina, & Giambi? This whole "so & so has a ring so his opinion is of greater merit" is ridiculous.

Retire21
03-16-08, 01:13 PM
How many rings for Clay Bellinger & how many for A-Rod, Mussina, & Giambi? This whole "so & so has a ring so his opinion is of greater merit" is ridiculous.

Luis Sojo=5 rings :)

Yankees13
03-16-08, 04:32 PM
He's trading school yard taunts with a half-wit who's half his age. The only thing I see him becoming is a buffoon of Homer Simpson proportions. It just floors me when his boorish behavior is applauded.
I think you need to lighten up. This is hilarious.

Mangycur
03-16-08, 05:33 PM
I think you need to lighten up. This is hilarious.

Yeah. Like Whoopee cushion and plastic dog turd hilarious. Thanks for the advice.

ace
03-16-08, 05:38 PM
'Bout time Papsmear got put in his place. His antics are absurd. Riverdancing...in your underwear...on the field. Imagine if Mo acted the way this clown does? He would be the most hated person in sports. It's just a case Papelbon being Papelbon, I guess.

ace
03-16-08, 05:41 PM
From our friends at http://www.nomaas.org/

http://nomaas.org/images/moron_mouse.jpg

Yankees13
03-16-08, 05:41 PM
Yeah. Like Whoopee cushion and plastic dog turd hilarious. Thanks for the advice.
I just don't see what the big deal is. Have some fun with it.

"The Straw"
03-16-08, 05:52 PM
His opinion isn't of greater merit but when Hank "Championships are all that matter" enters a trash talking fight with no ammo against a "Mouse" with jewelery it makes him and the Yankees look jealous and foolish.

TheDynasty26
03-16-08, 08:26 PM
i like hank...hes honest and hes comitted. i think we have a pretty new look on the entire organization, yet weve still kept the yankee tradition and pride. If this continues i think we will all been in for a fun season.

frostdude1
03-17-08, 12:04 AM
For Frostdude http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p91/spoondogg66/mouse.jpg

rofll thanks :D

Meecham4ever
03-22-08, 11:57 AM
Hank tidbits from the Pro-jo....

TAKE THAT, HANK: The New York Observer, in China for the recent Dodgers-Padres exhibition series, reports "traces of Yankees influence were hard to find on this side of the Pacific. Among the expats at the game, Boston hats outnumbered Yankees hats by a wide margin."
•Line of the Week comes from Hank Steinbrenner — quickly becoming the new go-to guy — on being criticized by Jonathan Papelbon, as reported in the New York Post: “It’s like being attacked by a mouse.”
•Line of the Week II comes from Papelbon, as reported in the Hartford Courant: “Whatever, dude.”

http://www.projo.com/sports/billreynolds/sp_rencol22_03-22-08_189FFUA_v13.365ac75.html

Geez....not sure if Hank can recover from that zinger....razor-sharp wit there JP...

Yankees13
03-22-08, 02:54 PM

TAKE THAT, HANK: The New York Observer, in China for the recent Dodgers-Padres exhibition series, reports "traces of Yankees influence were hard to find on this side of the Pacific. Among the expats at the game, Boston hats outnumbered Yankees hats by a wide margin."
•Line of the Week comes from Hank Steinbrenner — quickly becoming the new go-to guy — on being criticized by Jonathan Papelbon, as reported in the New York Post: “It’s like being attacked by a mouse.”
•Line of the Week II comes from Papelbon, as reported in the Hartford Courant: “Whatever, dude.”

http://www.projo.com/sports/billreynolds/sp_rencol22_03-22-08_189FFUA_v13.365ac75.html

Geez....not sure if Hank can recover from that zinger....razor-sharp wit there JP...
Not even Red Sox fans would accuse Papelbon of being one of the sharpest tools in the shed.

YASS
03-22-08, 02:57 PM
Not even Red Sox fans would accuse Papelbon of being one of the sharpest tools in the shed.
I'm not ready to acknowledge that he's a tool, much less a sharp one. :)

The Q Bomb
03-22-08, 03:23 PM
Hahaha....Papelbon is a punk and needs to be put in his place. :P Hank has a big mouth but the "pencil pushing" comment was disrespectful IMO. Just send him a clip of A-Rod hitting that homerun off him last June.

StatenIslandYankee
03-22-08, 03:28 PM
Hank .... Shut Up!

teknetic
03-22-08, 03:41 PM
Among the expats at the game, Boston hats outnumbered Yankees hats by a wide margin."

Hopefully someone told these expats the Yankees were 3000 miles away.

THEBOSS84
03-22-08, 03:43 PM

That's funny. I just got back from a two week trip to China/Hong Kong. I was looking forward to posting that the ONLY traces of MLB merchandise seen anywhere over there, were Yankee hats. I repeat...the ONLY traces I had seen were Yankees hats.

yankees246
03-22-08, 05:48 PM
Hopefully someone told these expats the Yankees were 3000 miles away.

Ha, ha! Good one :)

Yankee_Samurai
03-22-08, 06:15 PM
That's funny. I just got back from a two week trip to China/Hong Kong. I was looking forward to posting that the ONLY traces of MLB merchandise seen anywhere over there, were Yankee hats. I repeat...the ONLY traces I had seen were Yankees hats.

I remember reading an article a while back that said people in China /Hong Kong buy Yankee hats because to them it symbolizes NY and it's fashionable not because they are Yankee fans. Most of them don't know what the hell the NY Yankees are. :lol:

False1
03-22-08, 06:38 PM
I remember reading an article a while back that said people in China /Hong Kong buy Yankee hats because to them it symbolizes NY and it's fashionable not because they are Yankee fans. Most of them don't know what the hell the NY Yankees are. :lol:Do they know what a Red Sox is? For that matter, what a Sox of any color is?

ngruz25
03-22-08, 06:47 PM
I remember reading an article a while back that said people in China /Hong Kong buy Yankee hats because to them it symbolizes NY and it's fashionable not because they are Yankee fans. Most of them don't know what the hell the NY Yankees are. :lol:
When I was living in Denmark, I saw Yankees hats all the time. There was some store called "New York" something or other that sold all the stylish Yankees hats. So, I of course had to ask one of my Danish friends if they knew what they were wearing. He said that he knew what the Yankee were, but hated the sport of baseball, and that was true of everybody. The "New York City" look is big in Europe right now, apparently.

YASS
03-22-08, 06:54 PM
Do they know what a Red Sox is? For that matter, what a Sox of any color is?
I've known lots of people from China. They're very fond of socks and wear them almost daily.

Yankee_Samurai
03-22-08, 06:59 PM
When I was living in Denmark, I saw Yankees hats all the time. There was some store called "New York" something or other that sold all the stylish Yankees hats. So, I of course had to ask one of my Danish friends if they knew what they were wearing. He said that he knew what the Yankee were, but hated the sport of baseball, and that was true of everybody. The "New York City" look is big in Europe right now, apparently.

In Europe too ! Good more money for the Yankees :).

YASS
03-22-08, 07:01 PM
In Europe too ! Good more money for the Yankees :).
Do the Yankees get the merchandising money from international sales, or does that all belong to MLB, too?

4bronxbombers
03-22-08, 07:04 PM
Just send him a clip of A-Rod hitting that homerun off him last June.

I would love to do that. :lol:

Yankee_Samurai
03-22-08, 07:08 PM
Do the Yankees get the merchandising money from international sales, or does that all belong to MLB, too?

I think they get a certain percentage. :dunno:

YASS
03-22-08, 07:10 PM
I think they get a certain percentage. :dunno:
I only asked because I thought I remembered hearing somewhere that there's a difference in how the money is distributed between domestic merchandise sales and international sales.

It's a vague and indistinct recollection, though, and a quick Google didn't answer the question. Does anybody know how it works?

Giuseppe Franco
04-18-08, 02:03 PM

I just got back from Africa and all I saw were Yankee hats. Specifically, NYY 2001 WS Champions hats. They're big fans of the Superbowl XLII Champion New England Patriots there too.

Retire21
04-18-08, 04:25 PM
I just got back from Africa and all I saw were Yankee hats. Specifically, NYY 2001 WS Champions hats. They're big fans of the Superbowl XLII Champion New England Patriots there too.

I don't own the hats. I don't own anything about them.

(Giuseppe reference, for the uninitiated)

By the way, I love that your location is at Gary Busey's house- I laughed out loud at that one, although that statement does have connotations to it. Hmmm......

yankeesAZ
04-19-08, 02:34 PM
Hank is the man! :2thumbs:

No more BS!

KINGOFNY
04-20-08, 12:47 AM
I don't care how talented,I hope Papelbon is never a Yankee or trailer trash Beckett.