PDA

View Full Version : Steroids found in over-the-counter supplements

Workhorse
12-06-07, 09:05 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=3956728&page=1

This is a pretty huge deal, in light of the Mitchell report coming out any day now. If this is true, I think a lot of baseball players who might have been tainted with the steroid brush through positive tests may have a real legitimate excuse. Fact is, the testing policy needs to be open and transparent before MLB goes on witch hunts lke they are currently doing.

For example, suppose someone like Palmeiro was telling the truth and his positive test was the result of something he bought at GNC.

chris_5103
12-06-07, 09:53 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=3956728&page=1

This is a pretty huge deal, in light of the Mitchell report coming out any day now. If this is true, I think a lot of baseball players who might have been tainted with the steroid brush through positive tests may have a real legitimate excuse. Fact is, the testing policy needs to be open and transparent before MLB goes on witch hunts lke they are currently doing.

For example, suppose someone like Palmeiro was telling the truth and his positive test was the result of something he bought at GNC.

Please tell me you are not defending Palemerio. He took Stanozolol which is not some accidental steroid. It increases strength and can be taken as a tablet or injected. He didn't accidently take it, he cheated plain and simple. If he tested for DHEA or Andro, then fine that is different. He knew what he was taking and he is now paying the price.

Workhorse
12-06-07, 10:08 AM
Please tell me you are not defending Palemerio. He took Stanozolol which is not some accidental steroid. It increases strength and can be taken as a tablet or injected. He didn't accidently take it, he cheated plain and simple. If he tested for DHEA or Andro, then fine that is different. He knew what he was taking and he is now paying the price.

Slow down. I was using Palmeiro as a hypothetical. But I'm saying that it certainly casts a lot of doubt on the validity of the testing process.

STNYY
12-06-07, 11:57 AM
Slow down. I was using Palmeiro as a hypothetical. But I'm saying that it certainly casts a lot of doubt on the validity of the testing process.

No, actually I think it casts doubt on the laws regulating dietary supplements. The supplement industry has fought long and hard not to fall under FDA scrutiny. Overall I support this because the FDA is a hardly a bastion of efficiency and impartiality (look at all the problems with drugs from big pharma in recent years). But fact is the supplement industry can put whatever they damn well please in 'vitamins', make whatever claims they want about these 'vitamins' an there's no one minding the store.

By Olympic/International anti-doping standards, an OTC anti-histamine will get you banned and stripped of medals. Excess levels of caffeine like that found in NoDoze will also get you busted. Stuff that's freely and easily available has been banned by sporting authorities for decades, so the only thing that's news about this report is how hidden the problem is and how duped the ordinary consumer is, not that it exists.