PDA

View Full Version : Sean Henn has a great game for Staten Island

CaptainCargo
07-03-01, 02:45 PM
Sean Henn almost went into the record books as being the first pitcher to thow a combined no-no in the new Staten Island park. This is from a guy that was at the game.

S.I. Yankees 7 - Vermont 0 July 3, 2001 -- The scoreboard wasn't functioning last night at Richmond County Bank Ballpark, displaying all zeroes for every category throughout the game.

So Baby Bomber Sean Henn tried his best to be accommodating.

The 20-year-old left-hander nearly made history on the mound, pitching six no-hit innings last night as Staten Island blanked Vermont, 7-0.

Henn missed out on being a part of a combined no-no when reliever Chris Ruff allowed a Danny Rombley single up the middle with one out in the ninth. It would have been the first no-hitter in the Baby Bombers' short history.

"I didn't know [about the no-hitter] when I left the game after six," Henn insisted, casting a bewildered look at the reporters who asked if he was disappointed. "One of the clubhouse guys told me."

Either way, Henn's blissful ignorance deserves credence, because after a so-so first start on June 25, the 26th-round draft pick in 2000 flashed big-league stuff last night against the first-place Expos in just his second outing.

Henn started the game by blowing heat past Rombley and Greg Thissen, and continued rolling from there. He walked a batter in the second, third and fifth innings, but worked out of potential trouble each time by inducing a flyout, a pickoff and a nifty 1-6-3 double play, respectively.

Henn, however, was at his best in his last inning of work. He caught Nick Schnabel looking and then blew away Daniel Griffin and Rombley to strike out the side for his fifth, sixth and seventh K's of the night. Manager Dave Jorn then removed his starter, who had thrown 87 pitches, two above his limit.

Casey :NY: :NY:

CaptainCargo
07-06-01, 02:41 PM
Okay so I guess this isn't a big deal after all.

Mark my words this kid is gonna be a good one.

Casey :NY:

CaptainCargo
07-25-01, 10:23 AM
Update for Henn, he notched his second win with a very good performance. Six innings of 3 hit 6 K and 2BB ball with no runs scored.

Barring injury we'll really be talking about this kid in the next couple of years. He is the real thing for a change. We've been tantalized by the El Duquecitos and the Knights and such. An internet aquantance of mine goes to alot of minor league games. He was there for Henn's second pro start and said the guy had not only flaming stuff but remarkably good control of it as he threw six innings of no hit ball. A 26th round draft and follow pick last year the Yanks signed him before he entered this years draft. Good thing as Teamonebaseball.com had him rated as the second best lefty entering the draft if the Yanks didn't sign him. And he was rated 21st overall for this years draft and would have been a certain first round pick this year.

Casey :NY: