PDA

View Full Version : Andy Marte: Bigger bust than Dolly Parton

Cuban Connection
11-30-07, 04:14 PM
The San Jose Mercury News believes Andy Marte is a "strong possibility" to join the Giants as a candidate to start at third.
Marte, who is out of options, is believed to be available in trade talks. He's the kind of youngster the Giants should be looking to gamble on in a year in which they'll have little chance of contending.

Remember all the hype around this guy, and how his minor league numbers would translate to the major leagues? It's no wonder why the Braves dumped this guy when he was at his peak. Even the Red Sox recognized it.

CTSoxFan
11-30-07, 04:18 PM
Yup. He's a Gregg Jefferies for the new millennium.

Eh, I take that back. Jefferies DID manage to kick around the majors for a decade, which Marte may yet do but shows no sign of yet.

AcidLake
11-30-07, 04:19 PM
Dolly Parton and her corrosive makeup...

Prison Mike
11-30-07, 04:21 PM
I live in Buffalo and watched this guy play all season. He is a total disaster- overweight, and tries to crush the hell out of every single pitch even if the count is 0-2.

PaulieIsAwesome
11-30-07, 04:28 PM
This is so weird to me. The hype was unbelievable for Marte.

And CTSoxFan, Jefferies actually had some good seasons in there: 93 and 94 were pretty darn nice.

SoCal Pinstriper
11-30-07, 05:14 PM
Remember all the hype around this guy, and how his minor league numbers would translate to the major leagues? It's no wonder why the Braves dumped this guy when he was at his peak. Even the Red Sox recognized it. Even though the source is named, it is important to include a link when you directly quote an outside source. It allows those who wish to read the quote in its original context, properly acknowleges the source, and keeps NYYFans out of potential hot water.

As for Marte, he is living proof that ranking of prospects and projecting their performance is a risky proposition at best.

CTSoxFan
11-30-07, 05:22 PM
This is so weird to me. The hype was unbelievable for Marte.

And CTSoxFan, Jefferies actually had some good seasons in there: 93 and 94 were pretty darn nice.

You are correct. There are much better parallels for unbelievably hyped megastar wannabes that let their conditioning go to hell and thus never realized their potential. Accepting nominations...? I'd tab Sam Horn of the Sox, but he was never as hyped as Marte.

Cuban Connection
11-30-07, 05:34 PM
Sorry about that, it was from rotoworld. Here are some previous blurbs on Marte on rotoworld.com
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_previousnews.aspx?sport=MLB&id=3830

Indians acquired third baseman Andy Marte, RHP Guillermo Mota, catcher Kelly Shoppach and cash considerations and a player to be named from the Red Sox for outfielder Coco Crisp, RHP David Riske and catcher Josh Bard.

Even though the Cleveland fans don't seem to like it, Indians GM Mark Shapiro has pulled off a great trade here. It's all about Marte, who is one of the top-10 prospects in baseball and might be a better player than Aaron Boone right now. He'll likely head back to Triple-A for at least the first couple of months, but he could become a fixture in Cleveland's lineup as soon as June or July. The Indians aren't taking much of a step back in 2006 here, and they're clearly in better position for 2008 and beyond.

Red Sox acquired third baseman Andy Marte from the Braves for shortstop Edgar Renteria and cash.

10 or 15 years from now, this offseason could be remembered in Boston for the Marte acquisition, not the Josh Beckett pickup. The Braves were frustrated with the 22-year-old's unwillingness to move off third base, but the Red Sox won't have a problem keeping him there. He's not going to be a Gold Glover, but he should be able to remain at the position for at least the first half of his career, and he'll hit enough to be an All-Star in his prime. The Red Sox will probably send him to Triple-A for one more year and give him a starting job in 2007. Moving Mike Lowell and letting Marte and Kevin Youkilis compete would be another possibility.
LOL

Rice14
11-30-07, 07:14 PM
You are correct. There are much better parallels for unbelievably hyped megastar wannabes that let their conditioning go to hell and thus never realized their potential. Accepting nominations...? I'd tab Sam Horn of the Sox, but he was never as hyped as Marte.

I was visiting Boston the week Sam Horn got called up and he was the talk of the town. When they finally made the move and brought him up, my cousin and I bought tickets to see him in action. He homered over the monster against the Mariners and I don't think there was a person in the stadium who didn't think we were witnessing the next great Sox power hitter......

False1
11-30-07, 10:23 PM
If this thread title is accurate its no wonder he hasn't lived up to the hype. It must be very difficult to generate bat speed for him.

Nick Day
11-30-07, 10:53 PM
AHAH that made me crack up!

CTSoxFan
11-30-07, 11:02 PM
Well, Rotoworld was right about one thing: Marte was indeed a better player than Aaron Boone. :D

Prison Mike
12-01-07, 12:08 AM
If this thread title is accurate its no wonder he hasn't lived up to the hype. It must be very difficult to generate bat speed for him.

:lol:

JohnnyDamonfan
12-01-07, 07:20 AM
Marte? Isn't he the reliever everybody wanted on the Yankees? Never mind I must be thinking of a different Marte.

nnysiny
12-01-07, 09:56 AM
ill never know why he was so highly regarded

ace
12-01-07, 12:26 PM
Marte? Isn't he the reliever everybody wanted on the Yankees? Never mind I must be thinking of a different Marte.

That would be Damaso Marte

False1
12-01-07, 02:11 PM
Lotty Dotty
We likes to Marte
We don't cause no trouble
We don't botha nobody

PhilHughesFan
12-01-07, 03:19 PM
ill never know why he was so highly regarded

Have you ever seen his stats from the minors?

Age 20 in AA: .269/.364/.525/.889
Age 21 in AAA: .261/.372/.506/.878

Whats not to like? He fell off a cliff the next year for seemingly no reason although some have speculated that he got fat.

Austin Jackson was 20 this past year in A ball with similar stats and some people think he's the second coming.

nnysiny
12-01-07, 03:54 PM
Have you ever seen his stats from the minors?

Age 20 in AA: .269/.364/.525/.889
Age 21 in AAA: .261/.372/.506/.878

Whats not to like? He fell off a cliff the next year for seemingly no reason although some have speculated that he got fat.

Austin Jackson was 20 this past year in A ball with similar stats and some people think he's the second coming.

then he had an elbow problem and was never the same again, yet many still thought he was a top prospect at the time

PhilHughesFan
12-02-07, 08:51 PM
then he had an elbow problem and was never the same again, yet many still thought he was a top prospect at the time

True, but you asked why he was so highly regarded. It was because he was putting up monster numbers in the minors at a very young age. Its really not hard to see why he was ranked as one of the best prospects in baseball. As someone else said before, this just illistrates how hit or miss prospects are, even top ones.