PDA

View Full Version : Did you brave the crowds on Black Friday?

RJ44
11-26-07, 09:29 AM
Just wondering how many of us did some shopping the old-fashioned way (in-store) early the morning of Black Friday.

My wife and I hit up Wal-Mart (5am) and Target (6am), and scored some really good deals (digital camera, sd card, cds/dvds, etc.).

Hitman23
11-26-07, 09:31 AM
two words:
eff that.

yankeeschic12324
11-26-07, 09:31 AM
two words:
eff that.
Agreed. I was busy sleeping off the alcohol I consumed the night before :o

johnnyyankee
11-26-07, 09:32 AM
Agreed. I was busy sleeping off the alcohol I consumed the night before :o

WHAT?

YankeePride1967
11-26-07, 09:33 AM
Heck no.

Speaking of which there is a movie coming out called "What Would Jesus Buy?". Basically it's about how Christmas has become more about going into debt in shopping than it is for the actual day.

yankeeschic12324
11-26-07, 09:33 AM
WHAT?
:-whistle-

Hitman23
11-26-07, 09:34 AM
Speaking of which there is a movie coming out called "What Would Jesus Buy?". Basically it's about how Christmas has become more about going into debt in shopping than it is for the actual day.that's awesome. :cool:

RJ44
11-26-07, 09:37 AM
Ah crap... vote, people!

Sorry

Hitman23
11-26-07, 09:39 AM
I'm getting for my kids. That is it. I'm boycotting christmas for everyone else.

yankeeschic12324
11-26-07, 09:40 AM
I'm getting for my kids. That is it. I'm boycotting christmas for everyone else.
Grown folks don't need presents...

RJ44
11-26-07, 09:41 AM

Yeah... um...:-whistle-
most of the crap we got was for us... kind-of a last hurrah before xmas, and we always get something nice that we've been thinking about during the year.

Hitman23
11-26-07, 09:48 AM
Grown folks don't need presents...I'm not even kidding. I've already told everyone. Don't get anything for me. I just can't do it this year.

yankeeschic12324
11-26-07, 09:50 AM
I'm not even kidding. I've already told everyone. Don't get anything for me. I just can't do it this year.
Ive told everyone the same thing...I don't care. Thats not the reason I celebrate Christmas :o

yankees2287
11-26-07, 09:52 AM
i was out at staples getting the tomtom gps they had onsale....$124, thats a great deal on it

In Mo I Trust
11-26-07, 10:07 AM
I went to Best Buy, they had a half off sale on HBO shows, I picked up two seasons of The Wire for $27 each, great deal.

yankeesnum1
11-26-07, 10:08 AM
I do all my Christmas shopping on line

RJ44
11-26-07, 10:11 AM
I went to Best Buy, they had a half off sale on HBO shows, I picked up two seasons of The Wire for $27 each, great deal.

I think they had the Sopranos Seasons 1-3 for $20 each, but we didn't go to Best Buy this year (3rd year shopping Black Friday and we were really disappointed with their sale this year).

DontHateOnNumber2
11-26-07, 10:31 AM
I didn't, though I did have to work later that day.

PinstripePride
11-26-07, 11:09 AM
I wanted to, but there were other more important things going on, and I was exhausted. I really wanted that $50 Stanley rolling tool chest at Walmart, though. :(

RJ44
11-26-07, 11:11 AM
I wanted to, but there were other more important things going on, and I was exhausted. I really wanted that $50 Stanley rolling tool chest at Walmart, though. :(

keep checking online, maybe it'll come back in stock...
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=6487125

powerpinstripes
11-26-07, 11:14 AM
I do all my Christmas shopping on line

Absolutely

fredgmuggs
11-26-07, 11:14 AM
This is "Cyber Monday", no? Anyone cybering up a shopping spree on the net today?

xenadanielle
11-26-07, 11:46 AM
I have never in my life gone out shopping on Black Friday, I guess mainly b/c I work in retail PT. I worked Saturday though and my co-workers said that it was busier there on Wednesday than Friday, go figure. We are in the same building w/a Best Buy and I rang up a lady Sat. who said that Friday she waited ages to get into the parking lot and it was not even full--it was from all the lazy people (her words, not mine) causing parking lot problems b/c they were trying to park close to Best Buy.

PinstripePride
11-26-07, 12:08 PM
keep checking online, maybe it'll come back in stock...
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=6487125

Good looks. I'll keep an eye out.

yankeesnum1
11-26-07, 12:26 PM
This is "Cyber Monday", no? Anyone cybering up a shopping spree on the net today?
I did. I bought my gift from ME to ME just now

Here's what I'm getting myself this year:

http://www.redriderleglamps.com/productDetails.cfm?merchID=3&showDescription=yes

yankeesAZ
11-26-07, 12:26 PM
Have to vote yes. I got up a 5:45am, went to Staples, got a 500GB external HD for $79.99 (after $40 rebate).

They opened at 6am while everyone was killing each other for the laptops and tvs, I scooped up one of the drives and was back in bed by 6:30am. That was the extent of my black Friday madness.

PinstripePride
11-26-07, 01:05 PM
Have to vote yes. I got up a 5:45am, went to Staples, got a 500GB external HD for $79.99 (after $40 rebate).

They opened at 6am while everyone was killing each other for the laptops and tvs, I scooped up one of the drives and was back in bed by 6:30am. That was the extent of my black Friday madness.

What a steal. Nice job.

PinstripePride
11-26-07, 01:09 PM

http://www.redriderleglamps.com/productDetails.cfm?merchID=3&showDescription=yes

That is really creepy, I'm sorry.

yankees2287
11-26-07, 01:29 PM

thats a good deal on the HD....i had to wait an hour once getting in staples because they had all the major items behind customer service, so they had everyone in 1 big line

yankeesnum1
11-26-07, 01:37 PM
That is really creepy, I'm sorry.
Why creepy?
You do know what movie it's from, right?

yankeesAZ
11-26-07, 02:03 PM
thats a good deal on the HD....i had to wait an hour once getting in staples because they had all the major items behind customer service, so they had everyone in 1 big line

They had all the doorbuster items in the back of the store on tables (not sure how they worked the laptops, but I saw a guy carrying a 32 inch tv he scooped up from there. They even went as far as to block some aisles to keep the people from trying to zip around and sneak in (they also did this to keep the check out line organized). It was pretty much a straight shot down the middle.

The major items were on the right side as you got to the back and the drives and other small items to the left.

I wanted the 4GB thumbdrive for $14.99, but couldn't find it and wanted to get in the check out line while people were still scronging for other goodies.

Guess it depends on which store you get. That situation you described sucks for people like me who didn't care about the laptops or tvs.

fredgmuggs
11-26-07, 02:22 PM
Did anybody shop on Black Friday to purchase things for someone other than yourself. You know, like a gift?

RJ44
11-26-07, 02:27 PM
Did anybody shop on Black Friday to purchase things for someone other than yourself. You know, like a gift?

:lol: :lol: We did a little gifting, too, but if I'm waking up at 4am, there's gotta be something in it for me... say what you will.

RhodeyYankee2638
11-26-07, 02:30 PM
Hmmmmm, wake up at 4a.m. to buy stuff for others and save $3 off pants. Where do I sign up!!!

gregzzy22
11-26-07, 02:35 PM
I only bought 4 dvds at circuit city. There very little good deals out there anyway.

RJ44
11-26-07, 02:35 PM
Hmmmmm, wake up at 4a.m. to buy stuff for others and save $3 off pants. Where do I sign up!!!
Actually, I saved $130 off the camera we got. And another $35 off the sd card.
But yeah, you stay in bed.

RhodeyYankee2638
11-26-07, 02:39 PM
Actually, I saved $130 off the camera we got. And another $35 off the sd card.
But yeah, you stay in bed.

Ooooooo I will. If you look around hard enough, you can get those deals online

yankeesAZ

What is this foriegn language you speak! ;)

xenadanielle

That is awesome. Did you see that TNT was airing the movie last night?

RJ44
11-26-07, 02:42 PM
Ooooooo I will. If you look around hard enough, you can get those deals online

We did look around; we prepared for our Black Friday plan weeks in advance.
For us, it's one of those things you do every year after you've done it once. And for us, it's worth it.
For the record, we were back in bed by 7:30am, so we didn't miss out on much sleep, either.

PinstripePride
11-26-07, 03:11 PM
Why creepy?
You do know what movie it's from, right?

I was not aware that it was from a movie. My apologies for being oblivious. I guess the limb lamp is less creepy now. :D

fredgmuggs
11-26-07, 03:23 PM

That's only meaningful if you receive it as "a major reward".;)

WCNYY
11-26-07, 03:49 PM
Good looks. I'll keep an eye out.
Look in the store too, the wal-mart I work at still had a few Saturday. Last year we found black friday stuff in the back room after the sale offiicially ended and it was still ringing up the sale price. There's always returns because people ended up with more than they needed.

yankeesnum1
11-26-07, 04:26 PM
That is awesome. Did you see that TNT was airing the movie last night?
Yes I did! A ton of people saw it as well, because I went to order while it was on and the site crashed. I had to order it this morning at work.

yankeesnum1
11-26-07, 04:27 PM
I was not aware that it was from a movie. My apologies for being oblivious. I guess the limb lamp is less creepy now. :D
:lol:

yankeesnum1
11-26-07, 04:28 PM
That's only meaningful if you receive it as "a major reward".;) Does it count if you can go to the site and download your own "major reward" certificate?

fredgmuggs
11-26-07, 04:41 PM
Does it count if you can go to the site and download your own "major reward" certificate?You can do that? That's funny.:lol:

DaPip1998
11-26-07, 04:45 PM
yup-survived the Palisades mall.....

yankeebot
11-26-07, 06:28 PM
We did look around; we prepared for our Black Friday plan weeks in advance.
For us, it's one of those things you do every year after you've done it once. And for us, it's worth it.
For the record, we were back in bed by 7:30am, so we didn't miss out on much sleep, either.
I skipped this year simply because there was nothing in the ads that I wanted but I'm with you. Great deals that can't be beaten any other time or place if you pay attention.

__starr69
11-26-07, 10:06 PM

Who goes to bed before 4AM?

yankeeschic12324
11-26-07, 10:08 PM
:dunno:

Luvtino
11-26-07, 10:11 PM

I did. I didn't buy anything for myself. Aren't ya proud of me?! ;):D

I went out at 7 on BF when the crowds thinned out and still got what I needed. My biggest deal was 30% off Ripstiks which is a big discount where they are concerned. I got them for my niece and newphews. Also picked up some video games, a make-up kit for a little girl 50% off, and Eyeclops 40% off. I was in and out of 3 stores within a half hour. :)

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
11-26-07, 10:12 PM
That's the good thing about being a poor college student. I'll go to Wawa on, like, December 23 and buy gift cards, and no one will care.

RhodeyYankee2638
11-26-07, 10:12 PM

Sorry, I meant "awake from alcohol induced coma"

RhodeyYankee2638
11-26-07, 10:13 PM
That's the good thing about being a poor college student. I'll go to Wawa on, like, December 23 and buy gift cards, and no one will care.

You should be like me and wait til the 25th man. Its much more of a challenge trying to get presents on Christmas day. I usually have to get creative and go to a gas station and put something together hastily

jlw1980
11-26-07, 10:20 PM
You can do that? That's funny.:lol:"Damn hell, you say you won that?"

"That' a major award. He won that!"

__starr69
11-26-07, 10:22 PM
No crowds for me. I've already purchased the rugrat cousin books via Scholastic book club, not like anyone will read them to her anyway. I plan to purchase the prepubescent cousin a "vamos Yankees" shirt from the Yankees.com shop. I will buy my uncle something he can use for the kitchen and gameday food from the Jets NFL shop (eww Jets). For my mother, cousin, and pain the the ass aunt I still do not know.

I plan on buying lots of t-shirts and pants for myself.

Luvtino
11-26-07, 10:22 PM

I love gift cards. I have a Wegmans by me and they have everything...Best Buy, Nordstroms, Toys R Us, Home Depot, Outback, Sports Authority, etc. You could do all your shopping in 5 minutes and make everyone happy. It's great.

Sillycon
11-27-07, 12:37 AM

funny you should mention that. Staples actually offered that hd deal online as well so you didn't even have to leave the house for that.

yankeesnum1
11-27-07, 06:52 AM
You can do that? That's funny.:lol:
Yes you can. If you look at the bottom left side of the home page, under "fun extras", you can down load both the Certificate and the Major Prize Telegram

Here's the home page of the gift shop: http://www.redriderleglamps.com/

RhodyYanksFan
11-27-07, 07:24 AM
I sent my wife out at 4am. I slept.

Dave Visbeck
11-28-07, 04:31 AM
I answered -- No way. Tryptophan kept me in bed.

Is Tryptophan a type of gas pain? Sure smelled bad under the sheets when I let one go ... all day Friday! :eek: :P

4bronxbombers
11-28-07, 08:35 AM
I sent my wife out at 4am. I slept.

Lazyass. ;)

RJ44
11-28-07, 08:56 AM
Is Tryptophan a type of gas pain? Sure smelled bad under the sheets when I let one go ... all day Friday! :eek: :P

TMI!

Oh, and tryptophan is that stuff that's in turkey that makes you sleepy.

I hope your gas problem clears up.

Dave Visbeck
11-28-07, 11:37 PM
TMI!

Oh, and tryptophan is that stuff that's in turkey that makes you sleepy.

I hope your gas problem clears up.

Oh ... :looking:

... Then it must of been the stuffing.