PDA

View Full Version : Yankees-ARod Talking?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

yankeeman61
11-14-07, 08:29 PM
Its easy. Arod made a 21 (arguably 25) million dollar concession for the opporunity to resign with the yanks. That is more than enough to get their pride back. The point of not negotiating was to save the Texas money. Now they get their wish.

Is this the new math?
How is this a concession? The Yanks were offering a 5-year extension plus the Texas money in the first 3 years. This is a reported 10-year deal. They are paying more overall and extending him to age 42, not 40.

Changes
I'll be very glad if A-Rod stays in the Bronx. I have noticed however what appears to be some sort of jilted-lover syndrome.
Why the hell would anyone care about any of the preliminaries so long as we end up with the best player at 3rd base?

In Mo I Trust
Is this the new math?
How is this a concession? The Yanks were offering a 5-year extension plus the Texas money in the first 3 years. This is a reported 10-year deal. They are paying more overall and extending him to age 42, not 40.

We don't even know the terms yet.

parkerstrong
11-14-07, 08:30 PM
This is now (assuming Mo re-signs) the 2007 team, minus Joe Torre, and probably Melky and Wang.

ARod will probably be down, but a healthy Giambi will be up.

SP

Santana
Andy
Phil
Joba
Moose

WOW

I doubt Melky and Wang will get us Santana.

Changes
Where he has his most value - Super-Utilityman
Bingo

Dr. Gonzo
arod also lost money coming to the yanks by having to pay NYS income tax the first time around.

And who knows, as this contract ends, maybe it looks great and 27 million is average.

I do doubt that and realize that by the time this contract becomes the norm arod will not be a great player or even in the game.

Roberto Kelly
And to the WS, when we sign Santana:)

I have a man crush on Santana.

yankeeman61
Boy, I wonder what Girardi's thoughts are. We went from rebuilding back to a juggernaut in 2 weeks.

Girardi's thoughts: "Oh, sh*t. Now I have to win the World Series"

NYYDragoon
11-14-07, 08:31 PM
The fact he seems to be making a real effort to come play in NY and lock it up for the rest of his career should show us arod has really grown up while here in NY.
Or, he realized that the only way to recover his tainted image is to stay in NY, so he sucks it up and returns not because he loves it here, but because it's his only chance for salvation in the public eye.

Not saying I believe it, but always a possibility...

Zimmer's Helmet
11-14-07, 08:32 PM
arod also lost money coming to the yanks by having to pay NYS income tax the first time around..

Poor bastard...

Roberto Kelly

Take it for what it's worth, but nyyinsider.com says there is a significant discount. (I don't know how to insert links)

yankeeman61

Just trying to figure out how someone could say the Yanks are saving money here.

YankeePride1967
Assuming this is a done deal, and Mo is back for 3 more years, GIVE JETER AN EXTENSION NOW!!

No way.

PuffNettles9
Official statement from Alex Rodriguez

As a result, I reached out to the Yankees through mutual friends and conveyed that message.

Id say we'd have to thank "mutual friend"Kevin Long for all of this

Roberto Kelly
11-14-07, 08:33 PM
Id say we'd have to thank "mutual friend"Kevin Long for all of this

That's a good point. I bet that's who it is.

Yankees13
11-14-07, 08:34 PM
well at least i can look forward to taking my future kids to Yankees games in 2017, knowing A-Rod will be suited up.

Kids: Who is that guy on the bench sitting all alone?
Me: That's A-Rod. The best player I've ever seen.
Kids: Why isn't he playing?
Me: The Yankees just clinched, he's getting a day off, he already broke every record.

Fixed. ;)

FSUYankee
11-14-07, 08:35 PM
Girardi's thoughts: "Oh, sh*t. Now I have to win the World Series"

I'm sure elation at getting a bat like A-Rod's back is first on his mind, but I'm sure that creeping sensation is coming back that Yankees will be expected to succeed (WS title) even if it is his first year managing.

Yanks3
11-14-07, 08:36 PM
Everyone has read this right:

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="920"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td style="border: 1px solid rgb(169, 179, 189);" width="715"> <!--get /players/rodriguez_alex/components/news/sub_article.jsp --> Official statement from Alex Rodriguez

<!-- display nothing -->

11/14/2007 3:27 PM ET
After spending time with Cynthia and my family over these last few weeks, it became clear to me that I needed to make an attempt to engage the Yankees regarding my future with the organization.
Prior to entering into serious negotiations with other clubs, I wanted the opportunity to share my thoughts directly with Yankees' ownership. We know there are other opportunities for us, but Cynthia and I have a foundation with the club that has brought us comfort, stability and happiness.
As a result, I reached out to the Yankees through mutual friends and conveyed that message. I also understand that I had to respond to certain Yankees concerns, and I was receptive and understanding of that situation.
Cynthia and I have since spoken directly with the Steinbrenner family. During these healthy discussions, both sides were able to share honest feelings and hopes with one another, and we expect to continue this dialogue with the Yankees over the next few days.

</td></tr></tbody></table>

http://www.mlb.com/players/rodriguez_alex/article.jsp?story=111407

teknetic
11-14-07, 08:45 PM
Boy, I wonder what Girardi's thoughts are. We went from rebuilding back to a juggernaut in 2 weeks.

Exactly my thoughts, one of the joys of being a Yankee fan is knowing that your season doesn't really end after October. This offseason has been as tumultuous and "exciting" as most team's regular seasons.

rodg12
11-14-07, 08:49 PM
Just trying to figure out how someone could say the Yanks are saving money here.

Check out this previous post.....explains it well (slightly edited to cover the mistake Zimmers' Helmet had corrected in a later post)

We're not talking about inflation here; we're talking about actual dollars in the contract. The fact remains that A-Rod walked away from 8 years $240 million - with $21 million coming from Texas. In other words the Yankees would have been on the hook for $219 million for 8 years. Another way of looking at it is that the Yankees would have been on the hook for $27.4 million a year.

On a 10 year - $270 million contract; the Yankees would in essence be paying A-Rod an average of $27 million a year. That calculates to a discount of an extra $4 million.

GraniteYankee
11-14-07, 08:50 PM

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=920 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: rgb(169,179,189) 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: rgb(169,179,189) 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: rgb(169,179,189) 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: rgb(169,179,189) 1px solid" width=715><!--get /players/rodriguez_alex/components/news/sub_article.jsp -->Official statement from Alex Rodriguez

<!-- display nothing -->

After spending time with Cynthia and my family over these last few weeks, it became clear to me that I needed to make an attempt to engage the Yankees regarding my future with the organization.
Prior to entering into serious negotiations with other clubs, I wanted the opportunity to share my thoughts directly with Yankees' ownership. We know there are other opportunities for us, but Cynthia and I have a foundation with the club that has brought us comfort, stability and happiness.
As a result, I reached out to the Yankees through mutual friends and conveyed that message. I also understand that I had to respond to certain Yankees concerns, and I was receptive and understanding of that situation.
Cynthia and I have since spoken directly with the Steinbrenner family. During these healthy discussions, both sides were able to share honest feelings and hopes with one another, and we expect to continue this dialogue with the Yankees over the next few days.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The "Cynthia shall not wear F You shirts to the Stadium" clause could be a deal breaker, just reported by Buster Olney on ESPN.

ZYanksRule
11-14-07, 08:51 PM
This would be the best news for the Yankees... if we lose him, I doubt we make the playoffs this year (2008)... we desperately need him to be a contender... we get him, we get some relief pitching, we re-sign Mo, and we hvae ourselves a contender again.

This would be fantastic, fantastic news. I really hope its true.

MAKE IT HAPPEN, BORAS-LESS ALEX!!!

OldYankeeFan
11-14-07, 08:53 PM
So much for none of our FA coming back because of Torre.

NYDCYankee
11-14-07, 08:54 PM
Anyone want to catch me up on what happened today? And how close are the Yankees to getting something done with him?

NYYFAN
11-14-07, 08:55 PM

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=920 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: rgb(169,179,189) 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: rgb(169,179,189) 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: rgb(169,179,189) 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: rgb(169,179,189) 1px solid" width=715><!--get /players/rodriguez_alex/components/news/sub_article.jsp -->Official statement from Alex Rodriguez

<!-- display nothing -->

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

What it really says is, other teams not willing to pay big bucks...

Low ball him Hank...

OldYankeeFan
11-14-07, 08:56 PM
Anyone want to catch me up on what happened today? And how close are the Yankees to getting something done with him?

10 years 275 mil. Just dotting the i's and crossing the t's...from inside sources.

Tifoso
11-14-07, 08:57 PM

They're meeting.

Sterling states that on a scale of 1-100, it's 101 that it's a done deal

Boras cut out

Rocketbooster
11-14-07, 08:59 PM
I love how ESPN News Bottom Line covers the situation.

"A-Rod and the Yankees are talking (blah blah blah) The Yankees had said they would not negotiate with A-Rod if he were to opt out of his contract"

It's important to add that, I guess, but I'm sure ESPN couldn't wait to mention it. Since when do you see the Bottom Line go into such detail.

Not that it's the biggest deal, because it isn't, but I don't see how the Yankees can save face if A-Rod is back after saying they wouldn't bother talking to him.

Haven't you ever been extremely angry with someone, only to have them come apologizing and asking for your forgiveness? Do you turn your back on them?
I don't see how the Yankees caved at all; they stood their ground because they did not chase after Alex - Alex came crawling back to them. Hank & co. apparently believe Alex is sincere in his desire to remain a Yankee - so be it.

scottm
If the contract is really 10 years 275 mil, I hope it is really backloaded (like most contracts are) and the last year or two are options. If the last year is 33 to 35 mil and we can pay a 3 million opt out, that would make it a decent contract. It would drop down to 240 - 245 for 9. That is basically 26 per.

NYYFAN
And Arod, we want another 5 million for the Mo fund...:lol:

CalYankeeFan
11-14-07, 09:00 PM
A look into the future:

"I feel 27 Million a year is symbolic...because we are going for #27"

Alex Rodriguez, November 27, 2007

NYDCYankee
11-14-07, 09:00 PM
They're meeting.

Sterling states that on a scale of 1-100, it's 101 that it's a done deal

Boras cut out

Thanks guys.

Wow, it's beautiful.

BigCheese
11-14-07, 09:03 PM
I'll probably get rained on for saying this (because logic dictates that this is a good thing), but I was kind of looking forward to seeing the Yankees move on without him.

Big_E
11-14-07, 09:03 PM
Give him $24M a year....plus $1M for winning the ALDS, $1M for winning the ALCS and $1M for winning the WS. :D
(and yes...I know the offer to Torre was $1M for making the ALDS, 1M for making the ALCS and $1M for making the WS)

51BWilliams
11-14-07, 09:04 PM
I'll be very glad if A-Rod stays in the Bronx. I have noticed however what appears to be some sort of jilted-lover syndrome.
Why the hell would anyone care about any of the preliminaries so long as we end up with the best player at 3rd base?

This is so true, in the short term. The long term concern is so much payroll tied up in one guy at the end of it all, and I can see the concern.

But my take on that is when you sink that amount of money into an investment, there is always a risk, no matter what you do. Some risk's work, some risk's dont. Thats why it's called a risk :) Without risk, you stagnate.

I thought the yankees were fine and everyone was overreacting when he left, and I still feel that way, and i will still feel that way if he comes back or not, and will until the magic number says so.. We won before with players that noone thought would make as big of a difference as they did when they first got here, and we can do it again..

NYYFAN
I'll probably get rained on for saying this (because logic dictates that this is a good thing), but I was kind of looking forward to seeing the Yankees move on without him.

Me too...between the money and his ego, it just gets old...I believe in the 24+1 statement

TEPLimey
A look into the future:

"I feel 27 Million a year is symbolic...because we are going for #27"

Alex Rodriguez, November 27, 2007
Its great for the Yankees that he is (apparently) returning, but if he says that, pardon me while I barf.

NYYFAN
11-14-07, 09:05 PM
Give him $24M a year....plus $1M for winning the ALDS, $1M for winning the ALCS and $1M for winning the WS. :D
(and yes...I know the offer to Torre was $1M for making the ALDS, 1M for making the ALCS and $1M for making the WS)

Brilliant!!!!

But pay him for BA, RBI and HR's in the post season...

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
11-14-07, 09:09 PM
Brilliant!!!!

But pay him for BA, RBI and HR's in the post season...

Incentives for BA, RBI, and HR aren't allowed.

OldYankeeFan
11-14-07, 09:09 PM
I was too, but I think I can get over having him back .;)

BigCheese
11-14-07, 09:12 PM
I was too, but I think I can get over having him back .;)

There's just so much young talent on this team... It'd be nice to see them become the focus, instead of this absurd media circus.

JSG
11-14-07, 09:12 PM
Where does this leave poor Wilson Betemit?

right now he's texting back and forth with bubba crosby ...............

OzNYYfan
11-14-07, 09:13 PM
Basically, since Arod talks are heating up, if this deal goes down he may very well be a yankee for the next decade. I know no one is going on a 10 year break from being a yankee fan but how would you feel about his return? If Boras is not negotiating it, is that good enough? Should he fire Boras altogether? Should he take a pay cut? What will it take for you to be happy with the return of Arod. IMO, fire Boras and take the original deal without Texas money. Anything other than that and I'm not completely happy with his return unless there is a ring in the very near future.

Besides the paycut, it would be nice if Arod holds a conference and apologizes to Yankee fans while wearing a t-shirt that says: "Sorry Yankee fans, I've been a d*ckhead"...And also have Boras attend wearing a t-shirt that says: "Money will never change the fact that I am a repugnant slimy low life"

R.V.47
11-14-07, 09:14 PM
There's just so much young talent on this team... It'd be nice to see them become the focus, instead of this absurd media circus.

Once the season gets going the young pitchers will become the focus I think. As for now theres nothing to say about them.

OldYankeeFan
11-14-07, 09:15 PM

That was my position when he opted out. And I was truely looking forward to exactly that. Who knows, maybe we can have the best of both worlds.

4bronxbombers
11-14-07, 09:16 PM
And Arod, we want another 5 million for the Mo fund...:lol:

:lol:

BigCheese
11-14-07, 09:17 PM
It's nice that the probability of one of the young pitchers being traded has dropped, at least... the potential for a Santana trade is now the only thing that may effect it.

Yanks3
11-14-07, 09:19 PM
I wonder how many Yankee fans destroyed their A-Rod memorabilia - there had to be at least one.

:D

PS: It wasn't me.

CallOfTheCrow
11-14-07, 09:21 PM
I never owned any A-Rod memorabilia.

YanksFanTillDeath
11-14-07, 09:22 PM
I wonder how many Yankee fans destroyed their A-Rod memorabilia - there had to be at least one.

I did burn a tshirt... is cool Ill get a new one..

gregzzy22
11-14-07, 09:22 PM

I was going to put a dollar sign on the back of my arod jersey under his name. still might..:lol:

boday
11-14-07, 09:23 PM
I think this is where the term sack up is appropriate. The Yankees stood by their word. A Rod was man enough to say "I messed up". The fans got to vent their spleen. We traded everyone/no one. "Now let's get on our horse and ride off in all directions" (quote Bujold) Eehah!

roblyo33
11-14-07, 09:27 PM
1) I have made a lot of posts on this Board. You won't find one complaining about the Yankees having too high a payroll.

2) I happen to think that revenues will increase and the dollar will inflate. I also happen to think that this man is an extraordinary and extraordinarily dedicated athlete who is not going to decline as early as, say, Mike Lowell or fat Miguel will.

3) Of course I care about the long term. I have been a Yankee fan for over 50 years and I hope for about 30 more. But I have more faith in the business judgment of a family that turned about 10 million into a billion than I do in a bunch of emotional wanna be baseball executives on this Board who know almost nothing about Yankee finances.

Great Post!!!

Yanks3
11-14-07, 09:30 PM
I think this is where the term sack up is appropriate. The Yankees stood by their word. A Rod was man enough to say "I messed up". The fans got to vent their spleen. We traded everyone/no one. "Now let's get on our horse and ride off in all directions" (quote Bujold) Eehah!

Iam still going to wait until the official press conference.

gdn
11-14-07, 09:31 PM
42-Rod.The answer is, indeed, 42.

roblyo33
11-14-07, 09:31 PM
Fixed. ;)

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Changes
11-14-07, 09:32 PM
This is so true, in the short term. The long term concern is so much payroll tied up in one guy at the end of it all, and I can see the concern.
I guess the difference between long and short is the player's longevity?

sugmasterflex
11-14-07, 09:36 PM
This is great news. I was pissed when he opted out but really excited that A-Rod looks to be coming back.

YanksFan1992
11-14-07, 09:45 PM
I'll be very happy to eat crow if he comes back. Very happy.

Me too. Although at this point Im not entirely sure if I want him back, if he does come back I'll support him as much as any other Yankee. And if he is willing to take a pay cut AND not let Boras in on the negotiations, I would welcome him back with open arms :NY:

dont_ya_know24
11-14-07, 09:49 PM
This is great news. I was pissed when he opted out but really excited that A-Rod looks to be coming back.
but seriously: when his first at-bat of 2008 comes, will you cheer or boo? i don't know what i would do...

oneill96
11-14-07, 09:50 PM
I would rather have all my teeth pulled out with a vice grip than have that gold bricking #@$#@#$@#$#@$#@ back in pinstripes!!!

BBombers85
11-14-07, 09:52 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071114&content_id=2300695&vkey=hotstove2007&fext=.jsp

MLB.com is reporting $290 Million. That has to be for 10 years. I'm assuming that is including incentives for MVP awards, etc.

Changes
11-14-07, 09:53 PM
I would rather have all my teeth pulled out with a vice grip than have that gold bricking #@$#@#$@#$#@$#@ back in pinstripes!!!
Would you boo him in any game situation?

roblyo33
11-14-07, 09:53 PM

I have a brand new pair of pliers..........will that do???

Evil Empire
11-14-07, 09:54 PM

I know a dentist who could help you out.

Octoberbaby
11-14-07, 09:54 PM
but seriously: when his first at-bat of 2008 comes, will you cheer or boo? i don't know what i would do...

Take note that I haven't changed my siggy yet and probably will leave it, just change the year.

CallOfTheCrow
11-14-07, 09:55 PM

No. No you would not & if you would, it's time to seek some help.

JohnnyDamonfan
11-14-07, 09:56 PM
I wouldn't mind him back but he has to take a pay cut and I demand he make a public apology and then maybe A-rod will be welcomed back in my book. I kinda lost a little respect for Steibrenner though after all this talk about "We're not going after him if he opts out" he kinda went back on his word so he lost just a little bit of my respect.

dkman
11-14-07, 09:56 PM

As I Yankee fan (I would assume you are) don't you want the Yankees to win? If you do, why would you boo your best player who is occassionally prone to pressing?

koko
11-14-07, 09:57 PM
I really don't know how I'm going to root for him. I just don't.
The guy basically said, "Gimme what I want or I'm gone." Knowing no one would pay $30M/year, the Yanks stood up to him and said 'Go.' He gave them the proverbial finger.

When not one offer rolls in, the Yankees are now gonna give him a 10 year $290M deal? It doesn't add up.

Winfield31
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071114&content_id=2300695&vkey=hotstove2007&fext=.jsp

MLB.com is reporting $290 Million. That has to be for 10 years. I'm assuming that is including incentives for MVP awards, etc.

Hopefully the incentives are mostly based on things that he would do in October.

Dynasties R Forever
Of course, silly me - the deal he walked away from would have averaged $30 million a year (8 years/$240 million); The reported 10 year/$270 million deal works out to an average of $27 million a year. $3 million less per year over the first 8 years = $24 million discount.
Sorry, gross miscaluculation on my part. Basically, anything below $275 million over 10 years is indeed a discount.

This much is true. Even more important is the fact that the Yankees avoid taking a gamble on Lowell, or sacrificing good young talent in order to deal for Cabrera.

Yeah, everything has a cost.

Personally I'd like to see our young talent in the majors and minors mature another year, increase their value and allow us to get a little better idea what we have...then go hard after any needs next offseason.

gregzzy22

I wanna see the terms because thats no discount. If this was negotiated before he opted out, the yankees would give him $320 million? Thats insane.

False1
If he eats crow (and the $21MM) I'd be glad he's back, but simultaneously concerned about how fans react when he doesn't go 2-4 with a home run opening day. If he does sign here and starts off cold, it's going to be an A-Rod all you can eat buffet in the Bronx.

just-blaze
11-14-07, 09:58 PM

iiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttssssssss backloaded.

I wonder if some of it is deferred.

BBombers85
11-14-07, 09:59 PM
I wanna see the terms because thats no discount. If this was negotiated before he opted out, the yankees would give him $320 million? Thats insane.

Agreed. Maybe it includes a personal services contract at the end considering that if it IS 10 years, he'll be 42ish at the end.

NYIndian2005
11-14-07, 09:59 PM
Frankly at this point I rather he not come back. I don't want this circus to start all over again. Also I am concerned what kind of a mind job he is going to be next season after all this playing once again the new york spotlight. I wonder if he will be able to hack it. I am also concerned about the large amount of money that we are going to lock up in him. That pretty much would eliminate us from going out and getting some good pitching this offseason.

hatfieldms
11-14-07, 10:00 PM

Which means he isnt taking any kind of paycut at all. The yankees will not get that Texas money back, they will just pay it to him 8-9 years down the road

DJ27
The guy basically said, "Gimme what I want or I'm gone." Knowing no one would pay $30M/year, the Yanks stood up to him and said 'Go.' He gave them the proverbial finger.

When not one offer rolls in, the Yankees are now gonna give him a 10 year $290M deal? It doesn't add up.

I truly believe it was all Boras and A-Rod followed like a little sheep before realizing what "they" had done. I will welcome him back with open arms and be glad to watch him go into the Hall as a Yankee.

Changes
You know how words can be just like the shells of sunflower seeds? You can just spit them out along with everyone else and not ever care what becomes of them.

BBombers85
11-14-07, 10:01 PM

I'm sure there is some deferred and also backloaded since all Yankee long-term contracts are.

False1
11-14-07, 10:01 PM
Prior to entering into serious negotiations with other clubs, I wanted the opportunity to share my thoughts directly with Yankees ownership. We know there are other opportunities for us, but Cynthia and I have a foundation with the club that has brought us comfort, stability and happiness."
This is the kind of quote that kills me with this guy. If this is the case and even remotely true, WHY DID YOU OPT OUT YOU KNUCKLEHEAD??? On Day Minus One no less? Just tell the truth... My agent and I made an error in judgment. He'd get much more respect if he just told the truth.

dkman
11-14-07, 10:02 PM
Frankly at this point I rather he not come back. I don't want this circus to start all over again. Also I am concerned what kind of a mind job he is going to be next season after all this playing once again the new york spotlight. I wonder if he will be able to hack it. I am also concerned about the large amount of money that we are going to lock up in him. That pretty much would eliminate us from going out and getting some good pitching this offseason.

Though the perceived 'circus' may be difficult for you to put up with, A-Rod's value to the Yankees at this time is undeniable. And we really don't need to go out and get some good pitching, considering we would have to give up good younger pitching anyway.

Changes
11-14-07, 10:05 PM

How many times have the Yankees, or any other team, said, "Here's our offer.
Take it or leave it."?
It's baseball in the 21st century and the players are only reflecting what the owners have tought.

heyabbott
11-14-07, 10:06 PM
As long as it's not my money, Alex Rodriguez is the best option at 3rd base and in the #4 spot in the batting order for the New York Yankees.

I'll cheer him if he's a Yankee and boo him if he plays for any other team.

In Mo I Trust
11-14-07, 10:07 PM
This is the kind of quote that kills me with this guy. If this is the case and even remotely true, WHY DID YOU OPT OUT YOU KNUCKLEHEAD??? On Day Minus One no less? Just tell the truth... My agent and I made an error in judgment. He'd get much more respect if he just told the truth.

He is saying that.

Changes
Seems to me that he was reported to say that the 10 day window was not large enough for him to feel confident about who his teammates would be next year. In fact it's been well after 10 days to solidify deals with Posada, Rivera, and Pettitte.

jbauer2485
As long as it's not my money, Alex Rodriguez is the best option at 3rd base and in the #4 spot in the batting order for the New York Yankees.

EXACTLY

ieddyi
11-14-07, 10:11 PM

that would pay him as much as $290 million,

Key words there

JDC1999
I'm up for eating a little crow----Sheryl Crow:P

Sorry, that was nasty, but I had to do it!!!!!!!

"The Straw"
I wonder if Mr. thin skin realizes that he used up all of that goodwill he built up with the fans this season. The BOO Birds will be out in force next season.

Vin
11-14-07, 10:13 PM
I would hate to see him get booed if he struggles next year.

And he should do something about that number. Either change it or flip it. It's a new beginning for him.

In Mo I Trust
11-14-07, 10:13 PM
I wonder if Mr. thin skin realizes that he used up all of that goodwill he built up with the fans this season. The BOO Birds will be out in force next season.

Why do something that will hurt the Yankees? Red Sox fans would love it if Yankee fans booed Arod next year. If he is a Yankee he'll have my full support.

CommerceComet
11-14-07, 10:14 PM
And also have Boras attend wearing a t-shirt that says: "Money will never change the fact that I am a repugnant slimy low life"You're way too kind. Make him tattoo it on his forehead.:D

I'll give ARod a pass because he is a Yankee. As long as a Yankee is trying hard on the field, you'll not hear me bash him. For that reason, Pavano is fair game, Kevin Brown wasn't (even though I wasn't a fan of his).

Sam18
11-14-07, 10:16 PM
Posada looks like a bargain after tonight. :barf: :barf:

ARoDfan4life
11-14-07, 10:16 PM
what's the last contract offer price ?

jeflores0917
11-14-07, 10:18 PM
Why do something that will hurt the Yankees? Red Sox fans would love it if Yankee fans booed Arod next year. If he is a Yankee he'll have my full support.

:-werd-:

Changes
11-14-07, 10:19 PM
Very well said.

NYYDragoon
11-14-07, 10:21 PM
Why do something that will hurt the Yankees?
Because we're a reactionary fanbase! Huzzah!

sweet_lou_14
11-14-07, 10:21 PM
Can somebody tell me what sources have the most up-to-date info on the A-Rod situation? ESPN.com, Peter Abraham, MLB.com, and various other sites I've checked haven't been updated in hours. Everyone seems to be treating this like a done deal, but I haven't seen any real specifics.

Dynasties R Forever
11-14-07, 10:22 PM
Assuming this is a done deal, and Mo is back for 3 more years, GIVE JETER AN EXTENSION NOW!!

No way. Thanks. Not until we figure out what position he's gonna play when he leaves SS at least.

Sam18
11-14-07, 10:23 PM
Can somebody tell me what sources have the most up-to-date info on the A-Rod situation? ESPN.com, Peter Abraham, MLB.com, and various other sites I've checked haven't been updated in hours. Everyone seems to be treating this like a done deal, but I haven't seen any real specifics.

Knowing how bad things have gone this year the final deal would probably be 15 years 800 million.

:(

ARoDfan4life
11-14-07, 10:24 PM

John Sterling was told by a close friend of Alex 2 days ago he wanted this done, today Sterling asked his friend 1 - 110 how close is this, the friend replied 112 he stays. Micheal Kay texted Alex is this true , Alex texted back YES

Yanks3
11-14-07, 10:26 PM
Posada looks like a bargain after tonight. :barf: :barf:

While it does make me a wee sick to the stomach that these guys get so much money :D , does payroll even factor into the Yankees decisions - I mean if they Yankees really want a player - at the end of the day - will they say "nope, we cannot afford that person, if we only had more money"?

False1
11-14-07, 10:27 PM
He is saying that.No, he's not. He's saying that he wanted to engage in conversation with Yankees ownership. They were open to doing that before A-Rod opted out, got blasted in the media and realized he wasn't going to get what he and Boras wanted. I refuse to buy the JoPo/Mo/Andy baloney he threw out as the rationale. He either succumbed to Boras' desire to take him to FA or he miscalculated grossly.

Listen - I've been an A-Rod supporter on everything except for the opt-out scenario. And from my persepctive I'd like to see him eat that $21MM, and start telling the truth. I am concerned about the heat he's going to take, particularly if next April isn't identical to April '07.

BTW - Boras gets paid a cut on the full value of this new contract, versus a cut of what the extension would have been worth... right?

gregzzy22
11-14-07, 10:27 PM
John Sterling was told by a close friend of Alex 2 days ago he wanted this done, today Sterling asked his friend 1 - 110 how close is this, the friend replied 112 he stays. Micheal Kay texted Alex is this true , Alex texted back YES

where did you hear alex texted back yes? he wont respond to damon, torre or cano but he'll reply back to john sterling?

Yanks3
11-14-07, 10:28 PM

He responded? I am very interested in the Q/A portion of the press conference, wonder what his responses are going to be

MaineSoxFan
11-14-07, 10:28 PM

1 to 110? The answer was 112?

jughead
11-14-07, 10:29 PM
Anyone find it ironic that everyone is shocked by the possibility of giving a 33 year old Lowell 4 years, but giving a 32 year old A-Rod 10 years is completely sane? I mean, I know A-Rod projects much better than Lowell, but still...

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees

Actually, he said on a scale of 1-100, it was 101. I don't know where the aforementioned poster got those numbers.

krustyle

He messed up the story. Supposedly John Sterling said the chances of ARod coming back on a scale of 1 to 100 was 101.

Dynasties R Forever
11-14-07, 10:30 PM
Hve you ever tried Barbancourt 15 Year?

Very tasty- made from cane also

No, I'll have to.

This is from the same distillery.

MassNYYfan
11-14-07, 10:31 PM
Damn I can't even begin to attempt to read this thread. :lol:

10/$188M. $1M less than Jeter. "Crawling back" for $27.5M a year for the next 10 years is a joke and someone in Yankeeland is getting played like a fiddle.

Has Cashman weighed in on this?

Dynasties R Forever
11-14-07, 10:31 PM
Where does this leave poor Wilson Betemit?

Don't feel sorry for him, he gets to go back to relaxing and being out of shape.

montyque
11-14-07, 10:32 PM
You know, just yesterday, I was talking to my Dad, and I said "Hank Steinbrenner should really put out a public statement saying 'We watn A-Rod back... at the same money we offered him MINUS the Texas Rangers money." It would have been a nice F-U to Boras... we both laughed about it. Might that actually happen now?!?!?!?

BigDaddyPR
11-14-07, 10:33 PM

My exact felings.. it is not my money, theres no salary cap so i dont really care, if hes a yankee ill root for the guy, if not ill HATe him more then any other player , thats about it.

a-RobinsonCano-Fan
11-14-07, 10:33 PM
he'll be pretty hated even more then he is

MaineSoxFan
11-14-07, 10:36 PM
Actually, he said on a scale of 1-100, it was 101. I don't know where the aforementioned poster got those numbers.

Thanks. Those numbers seemed odd.

Dynasties R Forever
11-14-07, 10:36 PM
right now he's texting back and forth with bubba crosby ...............

:-rofl-::-rofl-::-rofl-:

Maybe even Marbury. :eek:

stephsamps
11-14-07, 10:37 PM
Damn I can't even begin to attempt to read this thread. :lol:

10/$188M. $1M less than Jeter. "Crawling back" for $27.5M a year for the next 10 years is a joke and someone in Yankeeland is getting played like a fiddle.

Has Cashman weighed in on this?

Seriously. I bet Cash is trying to figure out where he's gonna work next year cause it seems like the Steinbrenners are in charge and overspending again!

Prison Mike
11-14-07, 10:39 PM
I can't even begin to read this thread from the start- but numbers that I'm seeing are saying 10/290M.

If Arod came crawling back, doesn't that indicate that he's not getting anywhere close to what he wanted on the open market. Why are we then offering close to 30M/year like he wanted before.

It seems to me like we're bidding against ourselves Hicks-style.

Espinosa's Glasses
11-14-07, 10:40 PM
:-rofl-::-rofl-::-rofl-:

Maybe even Marbury. :eek:

nah. bubba and betemit are changing their hitting attributes on MVP 2007 and shipping the memory cards out to possible suitors for when they hit the market...

Betemit = +20 in the contact
Bubba= +62 in power... which makes him a 70... which is still too much

People are going to know.

JSG
11-14-07, 10:41 PM

this is how many feel now since he and boras played it like real jerks. but the terrifying thought of matsui or giambi batting cleanup will cause most to zip it pretty quickly i would think !! and the extensive spin sure to come will also help smooth things over. i think the love-fest will continue. maybe a rod and jeter will even do a commercial together...................

sweet_lou_14
11-14-07, 10:45 PM
Anyone find it ironic that everyone is shocked by the possibility of giving a 33 year old Lowell 4 years, but giving a 32 year old A-Rod 10 years is completely sane? I mean, I know A-Rod projects much better than Lowell, but still...

Lowell already looks 40.

But your point is well taken.

a2ruYankee
11-14-07, 10:45 PM
I dont know how many more postseasons I can endure with him striking out against any/all pitching.... Byrd... ouch! His under .200 batting avg.

Anyways...

He should get a contract for the same $25.2/year for 8 years and be done with it. No opt outs. Play out your career in NY and stop the nonsense.

The guy showed his true character more than once. One day he will make a better politician than a teammate.

surge511
11-14-07, 10:46 PM
I'm glad he's back, but I really don't see how this is a win for the Yankees if they are paying him $290 million. I thought he was going to accept a pay CUT. No one would pay him that much. I will wait for official details, but this contract seems pretty ridiculous right now. I think we can do better than $29 million a year.

YankeeSteel
11-14-07, 10:47 PM
I'm not an Arod fan... but maybe a new YANKEE deal, not a Texas deal, will make him feel more like a New Yorker a Yankee... maybe he'll relax and play better in the playoffs. AND PLEASE GET THAT DARN 13 OFF THE FIELD... The big pink elephant in the room is telling us it's BAD LUCK.

There I said it... No 13 on the field

parkerstrong
11-14-07, 10:51 PM
A-Rod at 10/290 is a steal...for A-Rod and Boras. There will be no talk of "discount" if that is indeed what he gets.....back to the free spending days of Big Stein.....except its Two-Headed Steins now.....

That said, I am happy to have the best player in baseball on the team!

ARoDfan4life
11-14-07, 10:52 PM

thanks for correcting me I heard Sterling wrong earlier

JSG
11-14-07, 10:53 PM

It sounds better than: "my agent and i decided to shake the tree and see if a greater than $300MM offer materialized, as i had been led to believe. when it became clear this would not be forthcoming, i conditioned the market with rumors of how unhappy i was with how the opt out was handled. i then decided to approach hank and explain it was always my burning desire to play and retire as a yankee, before it became absolutely clear that any market for my services above $200MM was nonexistent and i lost negotiating leverage. i then agreed to hank's request to shunt scott boras to the background, though he is still calling the shots through his minions, to allow the NYY to publicly save face, in exchange for a contract worth up to $60MM more than the deal on the table prior to the opt out."

The Q Bomb
11-14-07, 11:00 PM
While it does make me a wee sick to the stomach that these guys get so much money :D , does payroll even factor into the Yankees decisions - I mean if they Yankees really want a player - at the end of the day - will they say "nope, we cannot afford that person, if we only had more money"? NOPE! They'll just say, "Mr. Fan your ticket just went from $70 to $110." And Mr. Fan will say, "OK."

jeterismyhomeboy
11-14-07, 11:00 PM
Don't go higher than 26 mil for 8 years. No way, no how.

Cash, I will never forgive you if you screw this up. Don't you dare go that high. He. Is. Not. Worth. It. Think about what Pujols is getting. Think about what Giambi is making. Think about it. Just think. Because if you don't, we'll be stuck with this shmuck for 10 years at an outrageous price.

Is there anyone sane in the Yankee FO?

Dynasties R Forever
11-14-07, 11:02 PM
Lowell already looks 40.

LOL, you're right...and it is a good point. However we do have in our favor A-Rod works tremendously hard at staying in shape and perfecting his craft. You can say whatever else about him but you can't take that away.

Yukon Cornelius
Lowell already looks 40.

I was just watching channel 5 for A-Rod news and Duke noted that the Yankees are looking to sign Lowell to play 1st base. Interesting.....

The Q Bomb
Is there anyone sane in the Yankee FO? I don't think there is anyone in the Yankee Front Office. I think Hank is the new "Front Office".

primetime714
11-14-07, 11:03 PM
Seriously. I bet Cash is trying to figure out where he's gonna work next year cause it seems like the Steinbrenners are in charge and overspending again!

Why do you get that impression? Just cause we're spending doesn't mean Cashman isn't in charge. Everything the Steinbrenner's have said this offseason is just a reiteration of Cashman's plan.

It's also a mistake to blame any questionnables moves on the Steinnbrenners and give credit for all the good moves to Cashman. Particularly in regards to Free Agency. This has been Cashman's biggest weakness as a GM. He often goes after the wrong guys and he often spends the wrong amounts. I love what Cashman has done with the minor league system and I usually like his trades, but in FA his decisions have been suspect.

parkerstrong
11-14-07, 11:03 PM

Cash, I will never forgive you if you screw this up. Don't you dare go that high. He. Is. Not. Worth. It. Think about what Pujols is getting. Think about what Giambi is making. Think about it. Just think. Because if you don't, we'll be stuck with this shmuck for 10 years at an outrageous price.

Yes there is....but as we have learned throughout the years is if a Steinbrenner wants a player, he gets him. Shef over Vlad was a bad decision, but that was Big Stein's guy. This isn't A-Rod talking to the Yankees, its A-Rod talking to Hal and Hank. (No mention of Cashman in negotiations at all)

Nature's Minister
11-14-07, 11:04 PM
Arod won't even come close to earning that contract. He'll be in the tail end of his career and earning more than he made during his prime.

It'd be a stupid, stupid deal.

Eddie160
11-14-07, 11:04 PM
from what I've read it seems that ARod will give the money back that they lost to TX They tried their luck and it blew up. ARod isn't as stupid as we think. He knows the Pinstripes are the road to imortality and he'll have more tries at post season with NY than any other team. So if he does comeback under the Yankees terms I'll cheer for him and Raz my Red Sox buddys on how he stole their thunder and headlines. (BTW I thought that was f-up doing that) but my Sox buddies wont know . If they hate ARod in NY if he comes back it will be explosive next year vs boston cause they will really hate him now

Astorian
11-14-07, 11:05 PM
AND PLEASE GET THAT DARN 13 OFF THE FIELD... The big pink elephant in the room is telling us it's BAD LUCK.

There I said it... No 13 on the field

Jim Leyritz says hi ...

ieddyi
11-14-07, 11:07 PM
Olney quoted as saying 10/220

Why don't we wait till the ink dries before bashing the FO?

parkerstrong
11-14-07, 11:08 PM
Why do you get that impression? Just cause we're spending doesn't mean Cashman isn't in charge. Everything the Steinbrenner's have said this offseason is just a reiteration of Cashman's plan.

It's also a mistake to blame any questionnables moves on the Steinnbrenners and give credit for all the good moves to Cashman. Particularly in regards to Free Agency. This has been Cashman's biggest weakness as a GM. He often goes after the wrong guys and he often spends the wrong amounts. I love what Cashman has done with the minor league system and I usually like his trades, but in FA his decisions have been suspect.

Have you heard Cashman's name mentioned at all with this recent A-Rod talk? It was clear Cashman wanted Vlad, but was told the Yanks were signing Sheffield. While there has been mistakes by Cashman, but part of the problem is its hard to know for sure who was behind each signing.

I do think Cashman has done a pretty good job of trading with other teams.....I like the Wright deal and RJ deal last year. I also liked Betemit for Proctor....poor Proctor has to deal with Joe again. (lol)

The Q Bomb
11-14-07, 11:08 PM
Somewhere, Derek Jeter is in a corner throwing up...

No. 13
11-14-07, 11:09 PM
Somewhere, Derek Jeter is in a corner throwing up...Why???

sweet_lou_14
11-14-07, 11:10 PM
from what I've read

Link???

NYYPride4Life
Its great to have him back and it sucks having to pay him so much into his early 40's but when you think about it, if all goes well, at that time, he'll most likely be trying to pass bonds for the HR record or adding on to his own HR record, so he'll be worth it just in extra ticket sales.

parkerstrong

That would be really reasonable. I would be happy with that deal....espically since the next highest salary is 20 million a year. He gets length in return for average salary. (I doubt it is 220 though)

Evil Empire
Why???

Probably learned it from those supermodels.

Epy7280
11-14-07, 11:11 PM

I think he has too many girl problems than to care about A-rod

dkman
11-14-07, 11:12 PM

Pujols signed that contract before he was an outright free agent. Plus, A-Rod is a better hitter, fielder, and baserunner than Pujols. A-Rod is also a better hitter, fielder, and baserunner than Jason Giambi.

Yankeeah
11-14-07, 11:12 PM
If it is 10/220, the deal is reasonable, but I still don't want him coming back.

stephsamps
11-14-07, 11:13 PM

I think he is probably in the corner rocking himself to sleep screaming "WE" "WE" "WE"

dave8274
11-14-07, 11:14 PM
If the "incentives" in this contract are for playoff infield pop-ups, strikeouts, and meaningless solo home runs in blowouts, A-Rod stands to make a ton of money.

a2ruYankee

I just heard Olney say 8 yrs/230 and then 9/260 and up..... when did you hear 220?

Y4L
Sign him!

effdamets
11-14-07, 11:15 PM
I don't think he's throwing up at all....

More like - he's doing juming jacks!

Imagine his payday in 3 years when his contract is up. If the Steins are willing to pay a guy that sorta dissed the Yankees and threw away 21 million dollars of their money, what would the stakes be for a guy that has represtented the Yankees since he was 12 years old?

:D :D

R.V.47
11-14-07, 11:15 PM

Considering the original numbers were 10/275 and 10/289 10/220 seems pretty good.

YanksFanTillDeath
11-14-07, 11:16 PM
I think he has too many girl problems than to care about A-rod

girl problems? damn I really, really will like to have those problems...

anyhow lets keep on A-Rod...

DON'T KNOCK THE ROCK
11-14-07, 11:17 PM

I disagree. In the article where he said the Yankees can win without ARod, he did say he'd miss him. And Jeter also complimented ARod more than once. I think Jeter will be especially happy if all the same guys return: Posada, Rivera, Pettitte and ARod.

Plus, not to be greedy, but if ARod does sign a new deal with the Yankees, the chances are good that they'll pursue Doug Mientkiewicz for 1st base. Doug M. hit .277 last season and stroked some key hits as well. So, I'd like to see him back as he plays hard and is a terrific fielder at first base.

a2ruYankee
11-14-07, 11:18 PM

Imagine his payday in 3 years when his contract is up. If the Steins are willing to pay a guy that sorta dissed the Yankees and threw away 21 million dollars of their money, what would the stakes be for a guy that has represtented the Yankees since he was 12 years old?

Jeter should be good for AROD old contract money in 3 years. $25m/year

ieddyi
11-14-07, 11:21 PM
I just heard Olney say 8 yrs/230 and then 9/260 and up..... when did you hear 220?

Didn't hear it live, just saw it quoted in 3 places

That's the problem with making judgements based on hearsay.

Alos read that he will be getting only $50M over the first 3 years to match what the Yanks would have paid if he hadn't opted out. That's a pretty big concession

It's gotta be complicated w/ Boras involved, but we'll probably know in a couple of days

Zimmer's Helmet
11-14-07, 11:25 PM
Why do you get that impression? Just cause we're spending doesn't mean Cashman isn't in charge. Everything the Steinbrenner's have said this offseason is just a reiteration of Cashman's plan..
When I start reading stories about the Yankees wanting to sign Mike Lowell to play 1st base; who's only real appeal to the Yankees should have been his glove at 3rd base; that doesn't sound like Cashman. That sounds like a move designed to spite/hurt the Red Sox more than to actually benefit the Yankees; something Steinbrenner-ish about that, don't you think? I don't see Cashman signing a free agent 3rd baseman to play 1st base; especially considering the 3rd baseman in question has a bat that is questionable outside of Fenway.

It's only fair to point out that if it were up to Cashman, Vlad Guerrero and Carlos Beltran would be patrolling RF and CF respectively; only to be overruled by George and his minions.

While Cashman has made some bad signings; all GM's do. In Cashman's case, the makeup of this team would have been much different (and better) if Cashman were allowed to make all the signings that he wanted to make in the past 5 years. To judge him on anything more than the past 2 years where he has had complete control of all roster moves; is unfair.

MaximMan121
11-14-07, 11:31 PM

I don't know.

I don't think Jeter is going to get a raise. The question is how much of a pay cut will he have to accept. If he carries on at precisely the rate he's goin now, he'd STILL have to accept a pay cut. If he declines a bit, or gets injured (unfortunately both things that are likely) it will be a lot lower.

Mind you, he's going to make a lot of money. Just not anything close to what Alex is getting.

Rocketbooster
Once the season gets going the young pitchers will become the focus I think. As for now theres nothing to say about them.

I agree.....people are overreacting about the $$ being laid out to Mo (though every day that passes, I think he won't sign), Posada and A-Rod, but the Yankees are still losing lots of salary next year.Last I checked, our farm system is still intact and Stick and Damon are still running things; as far as I'm concerned, we're in excellent shape.

Back to the young pitching, once things settle down and ST approaches, they will be the focus. When mags start doing previews on the Yankees, the first thing they will talk about is the pitching.......it's young and it's good, very good. Thinking of Phil, Joba and Ian makes me happy, very happy.

metalyank
Why???
Because if ARod could handpick the team to play for, he'd love playing for the Red Sox?

sweet_lou_14
11-14-07, 11:32 PM
When I start reading stories about the Yankees wanting to sign Mike Lowell to play 1st base; who's only real appeal to the Yankees should have been his glove at 3rd base; that doesn't sound like Cashman.

When I hear those stories, I assume it's complete B.S. until proven otherwise.

MassNYYfan
11-14-07, 11:33 PM

They just said it on the latest "SportsCenter 30 at 30 Update" break in the basketball game.

Yankees1962
11-14-07, 11:34 PM

Yep, let's remember that though the call to Hank initiated these negotiations, the deal is probably being negotiated by Levine, Trost and Cashman.

bronxburning
11-14-07, 11:34 PM
Given Heyman, Olney, and Madden all him getting somewhere between $270-290 million over ten years, with incentives to put him over, it's highly unlikely something's going to change.

I predicted that it would be $280 for 10 years before the news broke in SI.com. It is just make sense. The Yanks really want him back and that is the price. It is a good deal for both sides.

PJMPirate
11-14-07, 11:36 PM
Pujols signed that contract before he was an outright free agent. Plus, A-Rod is a better hitter, fielder, and baserunner than Pujols. A-Rod is also a better hitter, fielder, and baserunner than Jason Giambi.

In the interests of accuracy, he's not a better hitter.

jeterismyhomeboy
11-14-07, 11:37 PM
When I start reading stories about the Yankees wanting to sign Mike Lowell to play 1st base; who's only real appeal to the Yankees should have been his glove at 3rd base; that doesn't sound like Cashman. That sounds like a move designed to spite/hurt the Red Sox more than to actually benefit the Yankees; something Steinbrenner-ish about that, don't you think? I don't see Cashman signing a free agent 3rd baseman to play 1st base; especially considering the 3rd baseman in question has a bat that is questionable outside of Fenway.

Well, (in theory) the Yanks do need a complementing RH power bat to A-Rod, but I hope that all this talk is really about shooting Lowell's price through the roof. I think the Yanks are hoping that if they had to give the extra year to Po, they might as well saddlebag their opponents with an aging, overvalued guy for a year too long.

Giambi, Matsui, etc. need 1B open (unless they're in the works to trade Matsui or Damon somewhere. I'd prefer trading Matsui). And in Year 4, Po is going to be settling in at 1B or DH, and that's where Lowell would be anyway.

At least I hope it's a negotiating tactic.

jughead
11-14-07, 11:38 PM
I predicted that it would be $280 for 10 years before the news broke in SI.com. It is just make sense. The Yanks really want him back and that is the price. It is a good deal for both sides.How is it a good deal to pay a 42 year old $28m again? I must have missed the memo

Roberto Kelly
11-14-07, 11:38 PM
220 for 10 would be a pretty good deal.

a2ruYankee
11-14-07, 11:39 PM
Yep, let's remember that though the call to Hank initiated these negotiations, the deal is probably being negotiated by Levine, Trost and Cashman.

"I bumped into Johnhy Ola in Beverly Hills and he said that Yankees and AROD were in a on a big deal.... that there was something in it for me, Scott Boras, if I could help with the negotiations"

It'd be nice if Boras could meet the same fate as....

Roberto Kelly
11-14-07, 11:40 PM
Well, (in theory) the Yanks do need a complementing RH power bat to A-Rod, but I hope that all this talk is really about shooting Lowell's price through the roof. I think the Yanks are hoping that if they had to give the extra year to Po, they might as well saddlebag their opponents with an aging, overvalued guy for a year too long.

Giambi, Matsui, etc. need 1B open (unless they're in the works to trade Matsui or Damon somewhere. I'd prefer trading Matsui). And in Year 4, Po is going to be settling in at 1B or DH, and that's where Lowell would be anyway.

At least I hope it's a negotiating tactic.

Lowell at first base makes no sense...particularly since it means we give a pick to the red sox.

Yankees1962
11-14-07, 11:42 PM
I predicted that it would be $280 for 10 years before the news broke in SI.com. It is just make sense. The Yanks really want him back and that is the price. It is a good deal for both sides.
That's about the same price as before so the Yankees let him skate by after costing them over 21M from Texas? I don't think so.

pWi
11-14-07, 11:44 PM

Money is not the primary concern for every single player out there...why do a lot of people on this forum seem to think that? Or were you joking?

ARoDfan4life
11-14-07, 11:45 PM

I'd even be surprised by that

Roberto Kelly
11-14-07, 11:47 PM

I would be too. I think it will be higher than that.

dont_ya_know24
11-14-07, 11:47 PM
please yankees don't sign lowell. he won't have the same kind of year next year. especially away from fenway. just get a-rod's deal done.

ARoDfan4life
11-14-07, 11:48 PM
please yankees don't sign lowell. he won't have the same kind of year next year. especially away from fenway. just get a-rod's deal done.

it's only to raise the price on the Soxs

TheYankee
11-14-07, 11:55 PM
If Abraham is right, I'm pumped. This is GREAT news.

TheYankee
11-14-07, 11:57 PM
Oh, and by the way, shut up Stephen A. Smith.

dkman
11-14-07, 11:58 PM
In the interests of accuracy, he's not a better hitter.

Your right, but Alex had a better year last year and he puts up his numbers from a much harder/more valuable position.

R.V.47
it's only to raise the price on the Soxs

I hope thats the case but we dont know that for sure. By the way has Lowell even played 1B at all and hes a gold glover and 10 times better than A-Rod defensively so I dont see why he would sign here.

NYYDragoon
Oh, and by the way, shut up Stephen A. Smith.What did he say?

dkman
11-15-07, 12:01 AM
How is it a good deal to pay a 42 year old $28m again? I must have missed the memo

I depends on:
1. How good a baseball player the 42 year old is.
2. How big a hit the dollar has taken in 10 years.
3. How many records the 42 year old is breaking and bringing in gate receipts

TheYankee
11-15-07, 12:02 AM
What did he say?
Stuart Scott: Stephen A, whadda ya think (about the Yanks and A-Rod talking?)
Stephen A: Disgusteeeeed! Disgusteeeeed!

He's just got to be as flamboyant and annoying as possible.

a2ruYankee

There is no way he signs for less than the millions/annually from last contract.

Any agent would be considered a failure for not getting him more than the first deal.

With that said. $25mil/year for 8 years. Done! :D

R.V.47

I thought he was a huge yankee fan.

BomberBrian
11-15-07, 12:04 AM
I thought he was a huge yankee fan.

He is.

He just isn't smart.

ARoDfan4life
11-15-07, 12:06 AM
He is.

He just isn't smart.

I still remember him backing up Barry Bonds in a Yankee uniform "I'd love it !!!, loooooooooove it, it would be a beautiful thing" :mad:

frostdude1
11-15-07, 12:08 AM
My guess is that it will be 10/260

TheYankee
I thought he was a huge yankee fan.I think he is actually... problem is he's still an idiot. I'd rather him root for the Mets.

JeterForPresident
I still remember him backing up Barry Bonds in a Yankee uniform "I'd love it !!!, loooooooooove it, it would be a beautiful thing" :mad:

Should we be surprised by that???

a2ruYankee
11-15-07, 12:09 AM
My guess is that it will be 10/260

I think its more in the $27.5-29 million per range

JeterForPresident
11-15-07, 12:11 AM
I think its more in the $27.5-29 million per range

I'm thinking the 10 for $275 mil sounds about right, and then there will probably be the incentives that I wish weren't there. Honestly, 27.5 mil a year into your 40's is more than enough.

Snatch Catch
11-15-07, 12:12 AM
Olney didn't say 10/220, he simply said 220.

It could be 8/220 (27.5 per) and then option years or something.

Joltin' Joe
11-15-07, 12:12 AM
Buster Olney on espnews just said the expects the deal to be near 10 years 220 million.... is that possible?

frostdude1
11-15-07, 12:14 AM
Buster Olney on espnews just said the expects the deal to be near 10 years 220 million.... is that possible?

most of us think its not but stranger things have happened so I wouldn't count it out ;)

R.V.47
11-15-07, 12:14 AM

I hope so but Id be surprised if thats the deal, it seems a lot lower then all of the other numbers being thrown around.

ARoDfan4life
11-15-07, 12:15 AM
most of us think its not but stranger things have happened so I wouldn't count it out ;)

if Hank gets that done he put his 2 feet in Bor-RRRRat a**

roblyo33
11-15-07, 12:16 AM
Earlier, some unnamed source said he left $60 million on the table. $220 would make it just about that.

JeterForPresident
11-15-07, 12:16 AM

Now that would be shocking to me, at that point I would have to believe Boras is going along with this but isn't happy, I would be very very surprised.

As someone posted earlier, they took the scene from Seinfeld when Kramer goes behind Jackie Chiles' back and has a pow-wow, if thats the deal, I could see Boras complaining about this public humiliation.

JeterForPresident
11-15-07, 12:19 AM
Earlier, some unnamed source said he left $60 million on the table. $220 would make it just about that.

That could work, we were thinking that the $60 mil was off of the $350, what if it was actually off of the $280, wow that would really be slaying the Boras dragon.

NYYDragoon
11-15-07, 12:20 AM

Haha. Wow. Gotta love sports media.

8 or 10 at $220-260? Now THAT would help to restore some of Arod's respect in my book.

Mr. Smith
11-15-07, 12:27 AM
That could work, we were thinking that the $60 mil was off of the $350, what if it was actually off of the $280, wow that would really be slaying the Boras dragon.

I'm thinking that it's probably 8 yrs. 220mil. If you factor in that Arod was due approximately 90mil for 3yrs under the old contract - plus the approx. 150mil extension we were going to offer - that's 240mil. for 8yrs. Now subtract the approx. 20 mil from the Rangers(we would have gotten) and you've got your 220mil over 8 yrs.

Edit: Nevermind. Just read the Newsday article below... 10 yrs 275mil, it is I guess.

bigwampum
11-15-07, 12:27 AM
8 or 10 at $220-260? Now THAT would help to restore some of Arod's respect in my book.

I was as pissed as anyone when he opted out, but if he agrees to something like this, I'd be very happy.

The lineup just looks so much better with a "3B - Rodriguez" in there.

ARoDfan4life
11-15-07, 12:28 AM
Steinbrenner said the Yankees recently received a message from Rodriguez "from a third party" that he wanted to speak with them directly, a distinct change in his strategy from just a few weeks ago.

The Yankees, however, have known for a while that A-Rod still hoped to be in pinstripes. Hitting coach Kevin Long, who is tight with Rodriguez, said Wednesday night that he told general manager Brian Cashman during his own contract negotiations two weeks ago that Rodriguez wanted to return.

Here's how the conversation went, according to Long:

Cashman: "Kev, we made our offer and they shut us down."

Long: "I still think Alex would love to be a Yankee."

Cashman: "I don't get it."

Long: "Well, I just know how much he wants to be a Yankee and I know how much that you have expressed that you want him back. If that's the case, then certainly you should both still be talking about it."

Cashman didn't return a message Wednesday.

When Long heard the news Wednesday, he said he sent Rodriguez a text message saying, "If this is true, you're going to have an awfully happy hitting coach if this happens. He replied, 'Well, we're working on it.' "

In the end, it appears A-Rod and the Yankees realized they need each other perhaps more than they had thought.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-sparod1115,0,5938731.story

Rocketbooster
11-15-07, 12:34 AM
wow, good stuff, ARodfan! Most people assumed it was probably Long who bridged the gap between A-Rod and the Yankees - guess he's worth the 3 year deal !

JeterForPresident
11-15-07, 12:35 AM
I'm thinking that it's probably 8 yrs. 220mil. If you factor in that Arod was due approximately 90mil for 3yrs under the old contract - plus the approx. 150mil extension we were going to offer - that's 240mil. for 8yrs. Now subtract the approx. 20 mil from the Rangers(we would have gotten) and you've got your 220mil over 8 yrs.

Jeez, can't we just go back to figuring out how to get 4 gallons into a 5 gallon jug, that was much easier in retrospect.

roblyo33
11-15-07, 12:38 AM
Jeez, can't we just go back to figuring out how to get 4 gallons into a 5 gallon jug, that was much easier in retrospect.

Actually, that's pretty easy..........try putting 5 gallons in a 4 gallon jug. That's what this off season has felt like so far. :eek: :wtf:

Mr. Smith
11-15-07, 12:40 AM

I think I gave myself a hemmorage trying to dissect this whole nonsense.

TheJobaRules
11-15-07, 12:40 AM
Shakes the leash of Boras, gives the Yankees a big discount, and erases the stain of the World Series Opt-out. Good day for the Yankees, good day for Alex Rodriguez. :)

JeterRodriguezSheff
11-15-07, 12:42 AM

If thats the deal im all for it.

The Yankees dont look bad at all and A-rod looks better by taking less than he was being paid over his past contract to retire a Yankee.

R.V.47
11-15-07, 12:43 AM

Wow through out all of this nonsense the last thing I expected was a Die Hard With a Vengeance reference. Good stuff lol

Yankeeah
11-15-07, 12:44 AM
So, remember those reports today that the Yankees will only negotiate with Alex Rodriguez as long as he doesn't bring his friend Scott Boras with him?

Michael Weiner, general counsel for the Players Association, told Newsday's Ken Davidoff, “the union has been assured that the Yankees will respect Alex’s decision to designate Scott Boras as his representative.”

http://blogs.trb.com/sports/baseball/yankees/blog/

JeterForPresident
11-15-07, 12:45 AM
Wow through out all of this nonsense the last thing I expected was a Die Hard With a Vengeance reference. Good stuff lol

LOL, honestly with all this talk of numbers at first I was thinking of an accountant on those old time adding machines with the crank, and wearing those green visor deals. Then when someone was saying something about take 10 from this and then over 8 years minus the 20 million and there you have it...4 gallons in a 5 gallon jug, good job McClane!

R.V.47
11-15-07, 12:46 AM
Of course Boras has to be involved on some level but I believe the story that he wasnt in the room when the negotiations took place. A-Rod isnt going to sign anything until Boras reviews it because that would just be dumb on his part. Its like representing yourself in Court.

Greenwave81
11-15-07, 01:15 AM
He posted the statement on his OWN website (arod.mlb.com):

Official statement from Alex Rodriguez regarding the Yankees

As a result, I reached out to the Yankees through mutual friends and conveyed that message.

here...let me interpret that for you...

"To my amazement, NO ONE has offered us ANYTHING close to what the NYY were offering initially. I was an idiot to listen to Boras and the 'opt out' talk in the first place. The $350 million 'starting point' for negotiations was his idea, and in retrospect, it's kind of stupid."

JSG
11-15-07, 01:16 AM

i think he was just talking about the old offer, not the new one -- IE that boras was a boob because a rod already had on the table 230 over 8, and "that's where they are now", plus the NYY would expect a 20MM haircut. but 220 over TEN makes no sense.

under the old deal the NYY cost over 8 was just over 200, or just over 25 per. 10/220 means a rod would agree to eat all 30 of the texas cash AND agree to the last 2 yrs @ 10 per. i can't see this at all.

if it's a 10 yr deal i can't see this below 250, as follows: the NYY had already agreed to pay 200 over 8 (27 x 3 = 81, less texas $$ = 51 cost for 3 + 5 x 30 = 201 TOTAL NYY cost under the old offer); the old 8 yr deal had a blended NYY salary cost of just over 25 per; so say they tack on 2 more yrs @ 25 and you're already just over 250 for 10. so this i think is the floor. if they split the diff between the NYY cost over 8 (25) and the ask of 30 per, then you're at 27.5 per and the base goes up to 255 (201 + 27.5 x 2). and if you do all 7 extra yrs @ 30 the base is 260 (51 + 30 x 7 = 261).

and ALL those numbers were based on the old yankee offer with NO negotiation from a rod and his side. so the NYY might say geez we're not gonna pay you 30 for the last 2 yrs when you're playing first or DH, and a rod will say you would have upped your 8 yr offer, RIGHT -- and they probably would have.

so for a 10 yr deal, if the base =
-- 250 or less, the yankees did great.
-- 260 is a fair base as you give a rod 30 per but don't even raise your initial offer.
-- 275 is the max base that is intuitively OK for the NYY as you can say the blended NYY cost per yr under the old was 25, the a rod extension cost they already agreed to was 30 per, split the diff and you're at 27.5 x 10 = 275.

OR: a rod was gonna earn 231/8 under the old deal (including the texas $$), w an avg salary of $28.875 -- x 10 = 288.75. now take out the texas 30 and you're at 258.75, or right around 260.

so a deal that says 260 = the base + incentives that let him earn back the texas $$ he left on the table, to top out @ 290, would make sense.

SO I THINK THAT WAS OLNEY'S REAL POINT IN THE SEGMENT -- WHICH HE DIDN'T REALLY EXPLAIN AT ALL -- IF YOU WORK OUT THE NUMBERS AT WHERE THE DEAL IS NOW RUMORED TO BE, THOSE ARE ALL PRETTY MUCH BASED ON THE OLD NYY OFFER -- AND THAT BY PLAYING IT THE WAY THEY DID, THEY BASICALLY COST THEMSELVES THE OPPORTUNITY TO NEGOTIATE HARD WITH THE NYY.

THE NYY BASICALLY GOT THEIR OLD DEAL AT COST (200/8), AND CONCEDED TWO YEARS AT THE END OF THE CONTRACT. THEY CAN EASILY JUSTIFY ANY INCENTIVE CLAUSES AS PRETTY STANDARD AND HE'LL HAVE TO EARN THOSE. AND IF THEY CAN STAY AROUND 260 FOR THE BASE OVER 10 THEN THEY DIDN'T EVEN HAVE TO GO BEYOND THE PARAMETERS OF THE OLD OFFER, AT 30 PER FOR THE LAST TWO. AND FOR THAT, THE INFLATION ARGUMENT PRETTY MUCH CANCELS OUT THE HE'S 40 AND HE CAN'T HIT ARGUMENT. 275 IS A BETTER BORAS NUMBER, BUT EVEN IF THEY GET THAT, THAT'S ONLY A BUMP OF 15 OVER 10 YRS -- NOT EXACTLY A HUGE JUMP. PS NO REASON THE CAPS ARE ON, IT'S JUST LATE. ADIOS.

BigCheese
11-15-07, 01:16 AM
Soooo... the only real difference between the Yankees this year and last is that Joe Torre is no longer our manager...

Greenwave81
11-15-07, 01:21 AM
I'd promise a deal, take him to the altar, and then dump him.

Fair's fair.

Sam18
11-15-07, 01:22 AM
Soooo... the only real difference between the Yankees this year and last is that Joe Torre is no longer our manager...

Better pitchers and a Ridiculously overpaid A-rod and Posada.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
11-15-07, 01:23 AM
So now I come to you
With open arms
Nothing to hide
Believe what I say
So here I am
With open arms
Hoping you'll see
What your love means to me
Open arms

Mr. Smith
11-15-07, 01:26 AM
So now I come to you
With open arms
Nothing to hide
Believe what I say
So here I am
With open arms
Hoping you'll see
What your love means to me
Open arms

Any chance Arod stood outside of the stadium holding up a boom-box blaring that song?...

Don Mack
11-15-07, 01:26 AM
Hopefully the King of Gotham returns and the King of Bores departs!

R.V.47
11-15-07, 01:27 AM

Pretty much, but that may not be a bad thing, we were a playoff team last year. However, Im not going to automatically say the pitching is going to be better. Phil Joba and Ian are still really young and might go through some ups and downs. We most likely wont have Pettite. Mussina is a year older and thus a year worse. Even though we brought the team back theres still going to be more question marks on opening day next year then weve seen in a long time with this team.

joesalto
11-15-07, 01:33 AM
He signed it?

I hope so..

who cares about all the crap of the past 2 weeks.

AROD at 3rd for less than 30 million a year is better than Mike Lowell, Mike Lamb or trading the farm away for anyone named Tehada/Cabrera

Now if we can trade Melky for pitching and sign Tori Hunter, think about this lineup

Damon - LF
Jeter - SS
Abreu - RF
AROD - 3B
Posada - C
Cano - 2B
Matsui - DH
Hunter - CF
Giambi - 1B

Jace
11-15-07, 01:34 AM
Honestly, I'm kind of drunk, but I just want Arod to be a good guy. Just be a good dude Arod, I think you want to say whatever will please people at the time and can be a phony and like money and prestige maybe more than you should, but your an awesome player and probably not that bad a guy personally. Just be a good guy

JeterForPresident
11-15-07, 01:39 AM
Honestly, I'm kind of drunk, but I just want Arod to be a good guy. Just be a good dude Arod, I think you want to say whatever will please people at the time and can be a phony and like money and prestige maybe more than you should, but your an awesome player and probably not that bad a guy personally. Just be a good guy

Dude, I feel like you should be at the bar with A-Rod, put your arm around his shoulder and give him that speech, nice little drunk words of wisdom!

Mr T.
11-15-07, 01:41 AM
A-Rod at a reasonable price... meaning he eats some of the Texas subsidy and I welcome him back with open arms. The Yankees are a better team with him and it saves us from having to possibly move some young talent for his less talented replacement. If you could then trade Melky and Kennedy or Wang for Santana and sign Hunter this team would be right back in the hunt.

a2ruYankee
11-15-07, 02:01 AM

$350 million - 60 million = $290 million :eek:

jughead
11-15-07, 02:06 AM
I hope so..

who cares about all the crap of the past 2 weeks.

AROD at 3rd for less than 30 million a year is better than Mike Lowell, Mike Lamb or trading the farm away for anyone named Tehada/Cabrera

Now if we can trade Melky for pitching and sign Tori Hunter, think about this lineup

Damon - LF
Jeter - SS
Abreu - RF
AROD - 3B
Posada - C
Cano - 2B
Matsui - DH
Hunter - CF
Giambi - 1B
Sure you don't want to try squeeze in Bonds at $25m/year there, too? Extend Santana at $35m/year and maybe get Cordero to setup for $15m/year. I look forward to paying $10 for a hot dog!

NyQuil
11-15-07, 02:08 AM
ESPN is really trying to say that we are A-Rod's second choice because no one wanted to pony up.

JeterForPresident
11-15-07, 02:08 AM
$350 million - 60 million = $290 million :eek:

If that is what they are talking about, then the phrase "left on the table" doesn't make much sense being that $350 million was not on anyone's table. Either way $220-290 mil I really don't care, although I think it would be nice and certainly cooler on A-Rod's part to take the $220 mil.

joesalto
11-15-07, 02:14 AM
Sure you don't want to try squeeze in Bonds at $25m/year there, too? Extend Santana at $35m/year and maybe get Cordero to setup for $15m/year. I look forward to paying $10 for a hot dog!

ok, let's go cheap so we can have $4.00 hot dogs and get Mike Lamb at 3B and sit and watch Melky come up with the occassional hit to inflate that .260 avg

the line up is the same as last year just adding Hunter. Hunter is not going to cost more than $13 million a year.

Didn't the Yanks spend 20+ million on a guy for 5 starts last year?

really, who gives a rats a** about the payroll?

jimmykey2
11-15-07, 03:28 AM
ok, let's go cheap so we can have $4.00 hot dogs and get Mike Lamb at 3B and sit and watch Melky come up with the occassional hit to inflate that .260 avg

the line up is the same as last year just adding Hunter. Hunter is not going to cost more than $13 million a year.

Didn't the Yanks spend 20+ million on a guy for 5 starts last year?

really, who gives a rats a** about the payroll?

Hunter isn't going to be worth the money he's going to get at this point in his career. He's always depended on his athletic ability and that's only getting worse after all those years on the turf and being on the wrong side of 30. Hunter doesn't walk much or hit for high average. His power numbers have gone up only recently.

The teams that are interested in Hunter are teams with gaping holes in CF. They don't even have a Melky Cabrera type to plug in.

BTW, the Yankees are insane to pay A-Rod more than 200 million. Where's the market???????????? They're bidding against themselves.

Stashed_in_the_South
11-15-07, 03:38 AM
"If he opts out, we're not interested".

OK. Fine.

So he's being re-signed, but... ah whatever, he's the best player in baseball.

Tehasguard
11-15-07, 03:56 AM

dude, the mans gotta eat.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
11-15-07, 04:05 AM
dude, the mans gotta eat.

To quote the infamous Latrell Sprewell, upon decling a 3-year, $21 million deal

"I have a family to feed."

ajra21
11-15-07, 04:56 AM
A-Rod at a reasonable price... meaning he eats some of the Texas subsidy and I welcome him back with open arms. The Yankees are a better team with him and it saves us from having to possibly move some young talent for his less talented replacement. If you could then trade Melky and Kennedy or Wang for Santana and sign Hunter this team would be right back in the hunt.

i agreed with a-rod although i'd be asking for him to drop his price by more than than the $21m; perhaps another $9m just to show how much he wants to be in new york.

as for the trading for santana, i wish we'd leave this alone. i wouldn't package wang or kennedy for him. sign him as a free agent in a years time. the twins won't be able to extend him.

and why do we want hunter? he's past his prime. declining in centre-field. has rarely hit higher than .275. doesn't have a good OBP. will want 5 years at too much.

EDIT: while a like the idea of bring him back, i really worry about long contracts. 7 years? 9 years? it is just crazy. we will regret that length of contract.

hardrain
11-15-07, 05:00 AM
I think Harper nailed it today:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/11/15/2007-11-15_hank_steinbrenners_stance_caught_arod_bo-1.html

oneill96
11-15-07, 05:17 AM

Really!? So your willing to question my sanity and sincerity for the Yankees in the same sentence. Well, its not as far fetched as it seems, since most of my TEETH are crowns. Childhood dental problem... anyway.

Let me put it too you this way... I believe that as long as Arod wears the pinstripes the Yankees, will NOT win a World Series. He won't for the same reason Jason Giambi wont, he's is a self-absorbed premadonna. Getting his numbers is the only thing Rodriguez cares about, looking good. You either want to be in clutch situations, or you don't. Maybe if you have that much talent given to you, you don't have to have any grit.

The Red Sox win because they have as many good, motivated players to augment the great players, like Kevin Youklis playing alongside David Ortiz.

The Yankees have a bunch of clueless lefty (and a couple of switch) hitters who couldn't figure out, collectively, what flavor they want at Baskin and Robbins. I hope Girardi has some friggin idea how to motivate these guys, maybe by kicking them in the ass, short of that, I dont think the second coming of Christ could make this group into WS Champs.

NYY2007
11-15-07, 05:26 AM
10/270, no thanks, he is going to have to come cheaper then that.

I agreed. 10 years are way too long!

4bronxbombers
11-15-07, 05:36 AM
Dude, I feel like you should be at the bar with A-Rod, put your arm around his shoulder and give him that speech, nice little drunk words of wisdom!

:lol:

4bronxbombers
11-15-07, 05:40 AM
I think Harper nailed it today:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/11/15/2007-11-15_hank_steinbrenners_stance_caught_arod_bo-1.html

Very interesting article. I've always wondered about this:

According to people who have observed the relationship over the years, Rodriguez has always been grateful for the role Boras played in his life, from setting him up with personal trainers and mental coaches to making him wealthy beyond his dreams with that famous $252million contract. However, they say it evolved into something of a love-hate relationship, with A-Rod growing to resent Boras' control at times, quarreling with him on certain matters but always giving in to him.

Yankees1962
11-15-07, 05:44 AM
Very interesting article. I've always wondered about this:

According to people who have observed the relationship over the years, Rodriguez has always been grateful for the role Boras played in his life, from setting him up with personal trainers and mental coaches to making him wealthy beyond his dreams with that famous $252million contract. However, they say it evolved into something of a love-hate relationship, with A-Rod growing to resent Boras' control at times, quarreling with him on certain matters but always giving in to him.
Another thing, I think his wife played a major part in this too more than is being discussed in various articles.

Tabata
11-15-07, 05:52 AM
What's the word on the deal?

Late I heard it was $275-million, 10-years.

oneill96
11-15-07, 05:55 AM
Guys, that article in the Daily News is the pure definition of a PR guy doing his job. Arod is trying to distance himself from Scott Boras and leave him with the baggage. Ha Ha Ha!!!