PDA

View Full Version : Yankees offer Managerial Job to Joe Girardi.

Pages : 1 [2]

Mantle'sMutt
10-29-07, 04:16 PM
From what weve seen the past 2 weeks with Torre A-Rod and Pettite, Im just sick of it. I want players who want to be yankees, not players who are gonna cry over whose on the team and whose managing and how much money they are gonna make. If Posada doesnt want to play here anymore because of Girardi let him go.

A lot of this is just posturing. Andy will be back and I'll bet Jorge, too, Not sure about Mo. Last couple times I have seem him talk, he just seems a little bitter.

Mr. Smith
10-29-07, 04:16 PM
From what weve seen the past 2 weeks with Torre A-Rod and Pettite, Im just sick of it. I want players who want to be yankees, not players who are gonna cry over whose on the team and whose managing and how much money they are gonna make. If Posada doesnt want to play here anymore because of Girardi let him go.

I stood up raised my arm and shouted "Witnessss!" when I read this.

Mr. Smith
10-29-07, 04:22 PM
Joe replaces Joe. Nice ring to that. Good move by Yanks org. Who is gonna be his right hand man. Donnie is gone.

I would be happy if Bowa or Pena got the spot on the bench next to Girardi. We'll see. I just hope they can lure Mazzone as pitching coach and maybe bring Eiland up to work with the pen.

As for Donnie, I love the man - my all-time favorite Yankee. I wish him nothing but happiness and success in whatever he decides to do next. I can hope that he would have a change of heart and stay with the organization, but I just don't see it...

JSG
10-29-07, 04:29 PM
girardi is the right guy for the job. he is a very smart guy, was an academic all american at northwestern, etc. intelligence is not always a defect. it is clear that cashman, also a very bright guy, is assuming more power w the club. i can see them connecting mentally and and working well together for years to come and think this is a real asset for the team.

i think the tea leaves w both torre and a rod show that cashman's master plan was to rebuild more aggressively than many (incl me) were expecting. they could have easily invited torre back for two on the cheap and transitioned mattingly (or even girardi) in there if what they wanted was stability and maxizing chances for re-signing the vets. likewise, the "line in the sand" ultimatum to a rod had a similar feel -- solid cash, but non negotiable, and not really designed to get the guy back. either hank just can't contol his bluster or this is the real long range plan. i think increasingly cashman looks at the red sox and says this is the direction we really need to be going in.

PS that said, if they are serious about wanting a rod back, i think the very best thing the NYY can do right now is to try and get commitments from mo posada and andy ASAP before the 10 day window expires and throw this back to a rod before he formally opts out (assuming he has not done this already).

Game4Tino
10-29-07, 04:35 PM
girardi is the right guy for the job. he is a very smart guy, was an academic all american at northwestern, etc. intelligence is not always a defect. it is clear that cashman, also a very bright guy, is assuming more power w the club. i can see them connecting mentally and and working well together for years to come and think this is a real asset for the team.

i think the tea leaves w both torre and a rod show that cashman's master plan was to rebuild more aggressively than many (incl me) were expecting. they could have easily invited torre back for two on the cheap and transitioned mattingly (or even girardi) in there if what they wanted was stability and maxizing chances for re-signing the vets. likewise, the "line in the sand" ultimatum to a rod had a similar feel -- solid cash, but non negotiable, and not really designed to get the guy back. either hank just can't contol his bluster or this is the real long range plan. i think increasingly cashman looks at the red sox and says this is the direction we really need to be going in.

PS that said, if they are serious about wanting a rod back, i think the very best thing the NYY can do right now is to try and get commitments from mo posada and andy ASAP before the 10 day window expires and throw this back to a rod before he formally opts out (assuming he has not done this already).

I, for one, love the aggresive overhaul. They've tried it one way and that has cost them damn near a billion dollars in salary and lots of time that could have been devoted to player development. It was past time to go in the other direction, the direction that clearly works as evidenced by Boston's 2nd title in four seasons. What is unfortunate is that the Yankees invented this way and got away from it beginning with the Giambi contract. The duo of Cashman and Girardi is going to work wonders for us.

hongchihkuo
10-29-07, 04:37 PM
Girardi is the right choice for the future of the team.

Mantle'sMutt
10-29-07, 04:41 PM
I hope the Yankees enter the 2008 season with the confidence shown by the Girardi supporters. Could mean a pennant.

Game4Tino
10-29-07, 04:43 PM
I hope the Yankees enter the 2008 season with the confidence shown by the Girardi supporters. Could mean a pennant.

Give me something to work with besides Girardi supporters. I want to print tshirts! :D

Girardi's Army?

JoeyG - The Manager for Me?

Joe's Shmoes?

goin for 27
10-29-07, 04:58 PM
Why? There's no other catchers out there?

Correct. The market for catchers is beyond abysmal....

mhmajp
10-29-07, 05:01 PM
The only question I have is how Girardi will handle managing his peers and former team mates. It wasn't too long ago he was playing along side half this team. Very interesting.

He was their bench coach before moving to FLA.

OldYankeeFan
10-29-07, 05:06 PM
A lot of this is just posturing. Andy will be back and I'll bet Jorge, too, Not sure about Mo. Last couple times I have seem him talk, he just seems a little bitter.

IMO, Mo received more preferential treatment from Joe than any other Yankee. It was the one relationship I wanted to see gone. It just seemed to me that Joe managed late game situations to get Mo a save, and in some situations (like 1st and 3rd one out, up by 1 run) not bringing him in and not putting Mo in a position to easily get a blown save.

Mo might be a little bitter, but in the end I think Jeter rallies the troops, they get VERY well paid and the core (Pettitte, Mo and Posada) stay for the start of Dynasty II.

BillBuckner
10-29-07, 05:19 PM
Give me something to work with besides Girardi supporters. I want to print tshirts! :D

Girardi's Army?

Joe's Shmoes?
Now with the drama queen gone, how about the Average Joes? Patches O Hollihan could be our 1B coach.

JeterForPresident
10-29-07, 05:21 PM

Girardi's Army?

Joe's Shmoes?

How about a shirt that says New York Yankees, when did people start getting t-shirts for the manager?

Game4Tino
10-29-07, 05:30 PM
How about a shirt that says New York Yankees, when did people start getting t-shirts for the manager?

Hey, I just want to be clear about what side of the fence I'm on here.

That said, I've still got my Girardi BP jersey from 95.

Oh, I've seen my share of Torre shirts so get over yourself.

JeterForPresident
10-29-07, 05:36 PM
Hey, I just want to be clear about what side of the fence I'm on here.

That said, I've still got my Girardi BP jersey from 95.

Oh, I've seen my share of Torre shirts so get over yourself.

LOL, no need to get snippy, I just think this managerial battle mode here needs to end, we all need to get on board with Girardi, and this is coming from a guy who wanted Torre back, and then wanted Mattingly, but I am moving onward and upward!

I would like a #6 jersey actually...but I don't think I have seen one.

JDPNYY
10-29-07, 05:36 PM

ouch. That was cold.

JeterForPresident
10-29-07, 05:40 PM
ouch. That was cold.

no no, lol, I love Girardi, and I wish him all the best because he is now the manager of my team, I just want to get past this managerial wars thing and focus on the bigger picture.

Plus I just bombed a midterm so I came looking to start some trouble ;)

bullitt245
10-29-07, 05:41 PM
I think this is the right move for the organization. No offense to Mattingly, but we hired a manager who was not only successful in his first run as a manager, but knows how to win in NY. This business is not about appeasing former players, it's about hiring the best man to win. With Girardi being a former catcher for championship teams here, and also proving he can work well with a young team, I see only positives. He brings a more aggressive attitude than Joe Torre did, and I would assume we were ready to move in a new direction anyway.

Game4Tino
10-29-07, 05:44 PM
LOL, no need to get snippy, I just think this managerial battle mode here needs to end, we all need to get on board with Girardi, and this is coming from a guy who wanted Torre back, and then wanted Mattingly, but I am moving onward and upward!

I would like a #6 jersey actually...but I don't think I have seen one.

That would be nice, but I see no end in sight. The Yankee Manager is a coveted position and obviously a hotly contested topic amongst fans. It would be nice if Girardi would get a bit more support from the die hard contingent which is what I would consider most of us.

Now order a T SHIRT!! :D

destiNY
10-29-07, 05:46 PM
This is good for the Yankees, let hammerin hank and stifling Joe begin their wars...But seriously, this was the best decision, I think he will be a great manager for us.

AJW
10-29-07, 05:49 PM
If anything, the fact that they did what they did should tell you how much they really preferred Girardi and believe he's the right man for the job.

And also it just shows you that George is not calling the shots anymore.

cyhughes22
10-29-07, 06:31 PM
Well I'm happy with this so long as he's got somebody in his ear in regards to not abusing our young pitching. I can't really find fault with him other than that. All the best Joe, good luck.

ALR83
10-29-07, 06:38 PM
This is who I wanted so I hope it works out. :D I like Joe a lot, I hope he does a great job.

Well I'm happy with this so long as he's got somebody in his ear in regards to not abusing our young pitching. I can't really find fault with him other than that. All the best Joe, good luck.

I agree.

CallOfTheCrow
10-29-07, 06:39 PM
Watch he turns the offer down.

CharmedForever61
10-29-07, 06:43 PM
Good luck to Joe Girardi as the new manager:)

OldYankeeFan
10-29-07, 06:46 PM

Don't worry. He'll have written instructions from Nardi.

Michaels07
10-29-07, 06:51 PM
The Girardi pick indicates that the new alleged Yankee Brain trust is Non-Compis mentis.

indianyanksfan
10-29-07, 06:52 PM
The Girardi pick indicates that the new alleged Yankee Brain trust is Non-Compis mentis.

:eek: :wtf:

Jasbro
10-29-07, 06:52 PM
Don't worry. He'll have written instructions from Nardi.

The "Girardi Rules"?

yabigyank
10-29-07, 07:36 PM
Congratulations to Joe. I'm glad he's the next manager. I love Donnie Baseball but the thought of him being fired would really be a PR nightmare.

I have confidence in Cashman and the Steinbrenners.

sweet_lou_14
10-29-07, 07:44 PM
Should we be concerned at all that word of Girardi accepting the deal has not leaked? I'm a bit surprised that we haven't gotten word of a scheduled press conference, etc.

27IsNext
10-29-07, 07:47 PM
This was the right choice. I think Donnie will be a great manager, but the Yankees are not the place for on-the-job training.

maldon
10-29-07, 07:48 PM

Non compos mentis.

If you want to use Latin then use it correctly.

And picking Girardi does not mean that the Yankee braintrust is not of sound mind or not in control of its mental faculties.

Tifoso
10-29-07, 07:48 PM
Fanastic news. Always one of my favorite players.

Where in Italia are his family from, again?

JSG
10-29-07, 07:53 PM
What is unfortunate is that the Yankees invented this way and got away from it beginning with the Giambi contract.

AHA !!!!! YES !!!!!! i have long felt that our first wrong turn was right after 2001 epitomized by the Curse of the Giambino ............ we lost some of our core guys and basically adopted the theory of adding big stars (especially over the hill ones) and big contracts ......... and of course giambi was one of the worst of those, which also involved the sacking of the bam tino .............. per peter abraham's great line the other day, at some point we stopped being a team and became a collection of stars ..........

also agree girardi and cash could be a great combo for years to come ............

sweet_lou_14
10-29-07, 08:18 PM
Fanastic news. Always one of my favorite players.

Where in Italia are his family from, again?

Somehow I knew you were going to pursue the Italian angle, Lou. I must admit it always gives me a smile to see a paesano make good! But I have no idea what part of Italy his family's from.

This might be a good opportunity to share a little story with you. I was traveling in Italy in 1992 with my girlfriend (who is now my wife). She's Indian so she's got black hair and a medium-dark complexion. Me, I'm all southern Italian -- two Neapolitan grandmothers, one Sicilian grandfather, and the other grandfather Calabrese. My Italian was never much to brag about, but I'd brushed up enough to get by and my accent was convincing even if my vocabulary was lacking.

So we were in Palermo, staying at a youth hostel, and I found a way to explain to our host, a sweet grandmotherly figure, where my four grandparents came from (all of it in Italian). She said (again, in Italian) "Madonna, you're from all over the place!" From her stunned reaction, you would think I had said my four grandparents came from Uruguay, Finland, Japan, and the Congo!

Then she took a look at my Indian girlfriend and said, "Well, at least you found yourself a nice Sicilian girl." :D

AJW
10-29-07, 08:21 PM
Watch he turns the offer down.

That would suck.

AJW
10-29-07, 08:22 PM
So, anyone have any news if there is going to be a press conference tomorrow at Yankee Stadium?

krystl
10-29-07, 08:25 PM
Watch he turns the offer down.:eek: Bite your tongue!!

teknetic
10-29-07, 08:26 PM
I think he's flying into New York tomorrow where it will be officially announced, which was the plan.

JSG
10-29-07, 08:47 PM
The "Girardi Rules"?

as others have written there will be general guidelines agreed on by the entire brain trust, incl nardi cashman, pitching coaches, girardi, et al. cashman is restructuring the entire franchise around the young arms, so no way they're just gonna wing it. but i don't think we'll have anything quite so silly scripted in the press.

Chacon
10-29-07, 08:48 PM
I think he's flying into New York tomorrow where it will be officially announced, which was the plan.

FWIW, Sweeney Murti said today on the FAN that it will take a couple of days to get the contract settled

AJW
10-29-07, 08:52 PM
FWIW, Sweeney Murti said today on the FAN that it will take a couple of days to get the contract settled

So the earliest I see it is Wednesday afternoon. Halloween. I'm down with that. I am so happy I can't describe how I am feeling right now.

R.V.47
10-29-07, 08:55 PM
Its just good to see the orginization now taking some steps forward finally after all the set backs the last few weeks. I think this is the first of many things to happen it what should be an exciting offseason

Tabata
10-29-07, 08:56 PM
Very good move by the Yankees IMO

The more I hear about Girardi the more I think he's the right man for the job and the deal is a great one for us.

Jasbro
10-29-07, 09:02 PM
as others have written there will be general guidelines agreed on by the entire brain trust, incl nardi cashman, pitching coaches, girardi, et al. cashman is restructuring the entire franchise around the young arms, so no way they're just gonna wing it.

Isn't that essentially what the so-called Joba Rules also were?

JSG
10-29-07, 09:10 PM
Isn't that essentially what the so-called Joba Rules also were?

well, i am just speccing here, but i think the joba rules were particularly strict because they were taking a starter and converting him to a relief role where he might be in a position to overthrow, etc. so i think it was quite rigid for a while. going forward i expect there will be something that is closer to general understandings or guidelines for how to bring the young starters along without burning them out. and i don't expect the ny post to publish them or girardi to comment on them after games !!!

gill2k
10-29-07, 09:12 PM
Someone mentioned it already about this being "Joe 2.0"... only this time it's a much "meaner and tougher" Joe.

yankeeman61
10-29-07, 09:16 PM
Mr. Torre is on board with Joe 2.0. Have to watch Letterman tonight:

"Joe Girardi is a good man," Torre said Monday on Late Show with David Letterman. "He's got a feel for this organization."

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10439277

RogerNatural
10-29-07, 10:01 PM
AHA !!!!! YES !!!!!! i have long felt that our first wrong turn was right after 2001 epitomized by the Curse of the Giambino ............ we lost some of our core guys and basically adopted the theory of adding big stars (especially over the hill ones) and big contracts ......... and of course giambi was one of the worst of those, which also involved the sacking of the bam tino .............. per peter abraham's great line the other day, at some point we stopped being a team and became a collection of stars ..........

also agree girardi and cash could be a great combo for years to come ............ Yes, indeed ! Hopefully, the direction Cash is in now, reverses the past few years of overpaid over-the-hill stiffs. I am on board with Cash with the pitching. Girardi is easily the best mgr of the three.

RogerNatural
10-29-07, 10:03 PM
Someone mentioned it already about this being "Joe 2.0"... only this time it's a much "meaner and tougher" Joe. I take it, we may see an umpire arguement/ejection next year ??????

BringBackBernie!
10-29-07, 10:31 PM
I'm so excited for Girardi. I was sad to see Torre go, but I'm kind of over it now (thanks to A-Rod). I'm excited for 2008.

ColombiaYanksFan
10-29-07, 10:48 PM
Joe replaces Joe

MassNYYfan
10-29-07, 10:58 PM
I'm glad I won't have to learn a new manager's name.

"Dammit, Joe!" will still roll freely off the tongue.

:P

Accept the deal already, Girardi! :clap:

bigwampum
10-30-07, 02:50 AM
There can't be any doubt that Girardi will accept the offer. Unless this is the biggest October Fools' Day prank of all time.

NYDCYankee
10-30-07, 03:40 AM
Girardi says Yes:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10292007/sports/yankees/joe_girardi_ready_to_take_yankee_reins.htm

And apparently the Dodgers were making a late play for him.

Yanks pushing hard to keep Kevin Long offering 3 year deal.

Tabata
10-30-07, 03:52 AM
Girardi says Yes:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10292007/sports/yankees/joe_girardi_ready_to_take_yankee_reins.htm

And apparently the Dodgers were making a late play for him.

Yanks pushing hard to keep Kevin Long offering 3 year deal.

Thanks for the link NYDCY, hopefully Cash get the Long deal done soon.

ChrisRo
10-30-07, 03:54 AM
I'm pleased, I think Girardi is the best option. Can't wait to hear the official announcement ;)

bcom33
10-30-07, 04:14 AM
I'm pleased, I think Girardi is the best option. Can't wait to hear the official announcement ;)

So it looks like the coaching staff will be:

Manager: Girardi :)
Bench Coach: Pena
3rd Base Coach: Bowa
1st Base Coach: Rob Thompson
Pitching Coach: Eiland
Bullpen Coach: ??

NYDCYankee
10-30-07, 04:24 AM
So it looks like the coaching staff will be:

Manager: Girardi :)
Bench Coach: Pena
3rd Base Coach: Bowa
1st Base Coach: Rob Thompson
Pitching Coach: Eiland
Bullpen Coach: ??

That is really not a bad coaching lineup.

I still think they might kick the tires on Leo Mazzone.

bcom33
10-30-07, 04:44 AM
That is really not a bad coaching lineup.

I still think they might kick the tires on Leo Mazzone.

yeah, I think that's a fantastic coaching staff.

AJW
10-30-07, 07:22 AM
This from Peter at The Journal News.

http://yankees.lohudblogs.com/

Conference call today from Tampa to officially announce Girardi as new manager. Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yanksrule51
10-30-07, 07:28 AM
I take it, we may see an umpire arguement/ejection next year ??????

Possibly ;)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=AimBVyBYCBQ

sahara
10-30-07, 07:42 AM
The "Girardi Rules"?

The "Anyone Who Would Be Managing This Team Would Have Them" Rules.

TheDynasty26
10-30-07, 07:45 AM
What is Bowas status? i heard he was in the running for the full time gig in seattle? I really really want to have him on this coaching staff (even more than Pena), so i hope he is willing to work with Girardi.

StatenIslandYankee
10-30-07, 08:38 AM
It's official as per ESPNews

johnnyyankee
10-30-07, 09:50 AM
It's official as per ESPNews

Girardi has accepted the offer.

Dodgers will move on Torre.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=MLB&hl=225776

Dannman103
10-30-07, 09:52 AM
It also appears that, prior to Girardi agreeing to the Yankees deal (but after it was offered), the Dodgers came in and attempted to get him at the last minute.

justtxyank
10-30-07, 09:54 AM
It also appears that, prior to Girardi agreeing to the Yankees deal (but after it was offered), the Dodgers came in and attempted to get him at the last minute.

So they preferred him to Torre as well?

As A-Rod would say, HA!

WashingtonYankee
10-30-07, 10:07 AM
I am very pleased by this. Someone's watching over the Yankees. :)

TEPLimey
10-30-07, 10:12 AM
The "Anyone Who Would Be Managing This Team Would Have Them" Rules.
The "Rules" are Torre-specific, notwithstanding your obviously-correct point. Right? Right?

643DP
10-30-07, 10:36 AM
Somebody please tell me, because I don't know much about Girardi's management style, is he a traditional 'National League manager' ? I figure since he played 11 years in the NL and managed the Marlins, he may be. And with the departure of A-Rod, probably nobody hits 30 HR next year. So I'd personally like to see more small-ball tactics. What are the odds of this with Girardi?

Krall
10-30-07, 10:40 AM
Did anyone watch Girardi manage in FL? I'm curious to know if he's a small ball kinda guy, if he's a lineup fiddler, how he uses the pen and does he play the hot hands or stick with 'his guys'?

Why Not?
10-30-07, 10:43 AM
What are the chances of Girardi finishing this contract?

wang+cano=future
10-30-07, 10:43 AM
Girardi's deal is for 3 years, $7.5 million. He also wants to bring in Mike Harkey possible as the pitching coach....

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3086315

Game4Tino
10-30-07, 10:46 AM
Did anyone watch Girardi manage in FL? I'm curious to know if he's a small ball kinda guy, if he's a lineup fiddler, how he uses the pen and does he play the hot hands or stick with 'his guys'?

I didn't really get to observe too frequently, so my first hand knowledge is limited. From what I've read and heard, all indications are that he manages to the situation and feel in a particular game or situation. He is not adverse to playing small ball and will "make things happen." That will be a refreshing change to Torre waiting for the 3 run jack. There was a pretty good interview on XM MLB Homeplate yesterday afternoon with a reporter out of Miami who gave mostly positive feedback. The only real negative was Girardi's handling of the press. They did not seem to think that he threw them enough bones and didn't like that he ran a tight ship, ie - no full access to the clubhouse. I've got no problem with that, it's about winning ballgames, not winning the love and friendship of the media. The topic of Joe Torre's loyalty to "his guys" came up and the reporter did not thing that would be going on in the Yankee dugout anymore, as Girardi can't afford to manage that way in this situation and never seemed to be that type in Florida.

sahara
10-30-07, 10:57 AM
The "Rules" are Torre-specific, notwithstanding your obviously-correct point. Right? Right?

I'm not really sure what you're saying.

I don't think the "Joba Rules" were crafted because of Joe. They would have existed in some form regardless of manager. I definitely believe they were as specific as they were in part because of him, however. They wanted to make sure everything that may have come up, given that we were then somewhat regularly hearing about concerns with some of his moves from the FO, was covered.

The IP/PC limits for young SPs next year would have been in place, as they will be, for any manager who managed this team. It's silly to act otherwise and it is a rather different situation than the Joba Rules, in general. No room for much gray, if any, in this one like there could have been in the other.

sweet_lou_14
10-30-07, 11:04 AM
I'm not really sure what you're saying.

I don't think the "Joba Rules" were crafted because of Joe. They would have existed in some form regardless of manager. I definitely believe they were as specific as they were in part because of him, however. They wanted to make sure everything that may have come up, given that we were then somewhat regularly hearing about concerns with some of his moves from the FO, was covered.

The IP/PC limits for young SPs next year would have been in place, as they will be, for any manager who managed this team. It's silly to act otherwise and it is a rather different situation than the Joba Rules, in general. No room for much gray, if any, in this one like there could have been in the other.

I agree. The Joba Rules, or any other rules in place to protect pitchers (and yes, they exist on all well-run teams, not just the Yanks) are not about embarrassing the manager or indicating a lack of faith in his intelligence or trustworthiness. Though there are plenty of bashers who will see it that way.

ymike673
10-30-07, 11:10 AM
What are the chances of Girardi finishing this contract?

I am hoping he gets to finish several contracts.

nnysiny
10-30-07, 11:12 AM
i am extremely happy with this

ymike673
10-30-07, 11:13 AM
Somebody please tell me, because I don't know much about Girardi's management style, is he a traditional 'National League manager' ? I figure since he played 11 years in the NL and managed the Marlins, he may be. And with the departure of A-Rod, probably nobody hits 30 HR next year. So I'd personally like to see more small-ball tactics. What are the odds of this with Girardi?

Matsui and a healthy Giambi are capable of 30 home runs but it will be nice to see the Yankees play more of a running game next season.

Krall
10-30-07, 11:20 AM
I didn't really get to observe too frequently, so my first hand knowledge is limited. From what I've read and heard, all indications are that he manages to the situation and feel in a particular game or situation. He is not adverse to playing small ball and will "make things happen." That will be a refreshing change to Torre waiting for the 3 run jack. There was a pretty good interview on XM MLB Homeplate yesterday afternoon with a reporter out of Miami who gave mostly positive feedback. The only real negative was Girardi's handling of the press. They did not seem to think that he threw them enough bones and didn't like that he ran a tight ship, ie - no full access to the clubhouse. I've got no problem with that, it's about winning ballgames, not winning the love and friendship of the media. The topic of Joe Torre's loyalty to "his guys" came up and the reporter did not thing that would be going on in the Yankee dugout anymore, as Girardi can't afford to manage that way in this situation and never seemed to be that type in Florida.

That sounds good so far, thanks :)

The one thing I was starting to dislike with Torre is it did seem like he was just waiting for things to happen; a few games here or there he'd play small ball but beyond that it did seem like he let the team play the way they wanted without doing any micro managing.

Jasbro
10-30-07, 11:40 AM

He will be devoured by the NY media if he tries that here. And the circus that kind of feuding with the press might create could cause more damage to the team than any of his in-game tactical moves might help.

And if he can't win the clubhouse, he won't win on the field.

Mantle'sMutt
10-30-07, 11:41 AM

When Girardi took over the Marlins, I figured he took the gig to prep for the Yankee gig when/if it opened. Plus, my wife is from Chicago and her side of the family are huge Cubs fans, so I knew quite a bit about Girardi from his time there. Add the fact that my son has always liked Girardi and all that resulted in us watching probably 50 Marlins games with him at the helm. This is not an overly large sample from which to base generalizations of any kind and it is really just silly to think that 50 games would dictate a definite pattern. As such my impressions are admittedly somewhat superfical.

Since I really always thought the Marlin gig was a Yankee audition and that Girardi would drop Florida like a bad habit if the Yankees called, I paid pretty close attention to Girardi's moves, all the same. Other than blow a couple of double switch moves early on, I did not see him do anything glaringly wrong. I also did not see any tendency to be a "small ball" manager other than the usual bunting guys over - as the bottom of the order came up in an attempt to get runs driven in with the pitcher's spot looming - sort of National League Manager 101-type stuff. I asked my son what were his overall impressions good or bad. He was also fairly ambivalent and made mention that he recalled Girardi staying with his starters too long at times.

IMHO, the bottom line is that Girardi does not have a SUFFICIENT track record as yet to definitively say what KIND of manager he will be from a tactical standpoint. Fingers crossed, here.

Hughes2.50
10-30-07, 11:54 AM
He will be devoured by the NY media if he tries that here. And the circus that kind of feuding with the press might create could cause more damage to the team than any of his in-game tactical moves might help.

And if he can't win the clubhouse, he won't win on the field.I think it is probably helpful to remember that Joe Girardi was a member of the media for more than a brief time. And, it is helpful to note that Girardi is a very bright individual, shown by the fact that he was a successful student at one of the most prestigious schools in the country (Northwestern) and majored in a field (Industrial engineering) that helps him understand how not only the media works, but also that system he is most responsible for (within the Yankee clubhouse works). I think that anyone who assumes that because Girardi received some bad press from Florida (with a team with so little media coverage), and, from a front office (with so little interest in actually winning) in Florida, that somehow Girardi won't navigate the inter-communication issues with the front-office in NY, or the NY media with aplomb.<p> Haven't any of you folks seen him field questions from Michael Kay? :D

Mantle'sMutt
10-30-07, 12:02 PM
I think it is probably helpful to remember that Joe Girardi was a member of the media for more than a brief time. And, it is helpful to note that Girardi is a very bright individual, shown by the fact that he was a successful student at one of the most prestigious schools in the country (Northwestern) and majored in a field (Industrial engineering) that helps him understand how not only the media works, but also that system he is most responsible for (within the Yankee clubhouse works). I think that anyone who assumes that because Girardi received some bad press from Florida (with a team with so little media coverage), and, from a front office (with so little interest in actually winning) in Florida, that somehow Girardi won't navigate the inter-communication issues with the front-office in NY, or the NY media with aplomb.Haven't any of you folks seen him field questions from Michael Kay? :D

A degree in IE makes you media savvy? ;) I work in a field which is which has large numbers of engineers and planners. The professional joke is "How do you tell an introverted engineer from an extroverted engineer?" Answer: The extroverted engineer looks down at your feet instead of his own.... :)

Considering that Kay was the source of the questions you reference makes the statement a bit of a red herring but, ironically, some of the major objections to Girardi are exactly related to the way he responds - in an often condescending and abrasive way which can make him come off sounding very holier than thou. He'll have to watch that - especailly with veterans and/or FO lackeys with whom any normal person would have little patience. But, if that is the biggest of his problems, he'll probably do alright.

Why Not?
10-30-07, 12:03 PM
I think it is probably helpful to remember that Joe Girardi was a member of the media for more than a brief time.
Well, sorta. Being an occasional commentator on TV is very different from being a columnist for a NY paper or a guy filling a a few hours a day on NY sports talk radio. Girardi's honeymoon will be over the first time the bullpen blows a lead or right after the first three-game losing streak.

wileedog
10-30-07, 12:08 PM
Considering that Kay was the source of the questions you reference makes the statement a bit of a red herring but, ironically, some of the major objections to Girardi are exactly related to the way he responds - in an often condescending and abrasive way which can make him come off sounding very holier than thou. He'll have to watch that - especailly with veterans and/or FO lackeys with whom any normal person would have little patience. But, if that is the biggest of his problems, he'll probably do alright.

Different sport, but Bill Parcells always harbored a special hatred for the media, and he did fine here.

Bottom line is if Joe wins, everything else will be forgiven even by the Lupica's of the world.

wang+cano=future
10-30-07, 12:16 PM
I think it is probably helpful to remember that Joe Girardi was a member of the media for more than a brief time. And, it is helpful to note that Girardi is a very bright individual, shown by the fact that he was a successful student at one of the most prestigious schools in the country (Northwestern) and majored in a field (Industrial engineering) that helps him understand how not only the media works, but also that system he is most responsible for (within the Yankee clubhouse works). I think that anyone who assumes that because Girardi received some bad press from Florida (with a team with so little media coverage), and, from a front office (with so little interest in actually winning) in Florida, that somehow Girardi won't navigate the inter-communication issues with the front-office in NY, or the NY media with aplomb.Haven't any of you folks seen him field questions from Michael Kay? :D

Haha all good points. Especially the last one. :)

Hughes2.50
10-30-07, 12:16 PM
..... He'll have to watch that - especailly with veterans and/or FO lackeys with whom any normal person would have little patience. But, if that is the biggest of his problems, he'll probably do alright.I think he'll be fine. Like I said he's bright, and what most people aren't aware of he does know how to connect to players, and not just <a href="http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/ny-spjim1031,0,17317.column"><b>young ones<b></a>.

ppa79
10-30-07, 12:17 PM
Good Luck

Joltin Joe Girardio

Hughes2.50
10-30-07, 12:17 PM
Haha all good points. Especially the last one. :)Obvious stuff, you'd think. Huh? :D

PeteRFNY
10-30-07, 12:20 PM
Bottom line is if Joe wins, everything else will be forgiven even by the Lupica's of the world.

Maybe. Billy Martin wouldn't give the press the time of day and Lupica specifically made Billy into the biggest villian since Rasputin as a result. No wonder the poor guy drank until he died.

Mantle'sMutt
10-30-07, 12:23 PM
Maybe. Billy Martin wouldn't give the press the time of day and Lupica specifically made Billy into the biggest villian since Rasputin as a result. No wonder the poor guy drank until he died.

OK, the drinking problem had deeper roots, but I recall Lupica doing that, too. The ass.

Costanza
10-30-07, 12:38 PM
What time is the press conference?

RJ44
10-30-07, 12:39 PM
What time is the press conference?

Wondering the same....

allybear
10-30-07, 12:50 PM
I hope he does well, and I think he will. He's a smart guy and seems to really know baseball. As far as the media goes, he'll figure it out, I'm sure he'll have a few misstseps and some of the press will give him a hard time, but I think he's smart enough to do what needs to be done, including putting himself out there as the go-to guy for the press so they don't bother the players, which (if he does it correctly) will get him liked by both the media and the players.

We shall see...

Rumba887
10-30-07, 01:28 PM
Good move! Now I hope to see some fire in that dugout. It's been missing since O'neill retired...

bcom33
10-30-07, 01:29 PM
Hey Peter Abraham's blog says Girardi accepted a 3 year deal worth 7.5 million. I had thought it was 6?

justtxyank
10-30-07, 01:44 PM
Hey Peter Abraham's blog says Girardi accepted a 3 year deal worth 7.5 million. I had thought it was 6?

Maye Girardi was insulted by 6.

bcom33
10-30-07, 01:44 PM
Maye Girardi was insulted by 6.

lol, that joke is never gonna die...

MooseCaLLinTheBronx
10-30-07, 01:56 PM
Press conference at 4 PM, right?

Tifoso
10-31-07, 11:05 AM
Somehow I knew you were going to pursue the Italian angle, Lou. I must admit it always gives me a smile to see a paesano make good! But I have no idea what part of Italy his family's from.

This might be a good opportunity to share a little story with you. I was traveling in Italy in 1992 with my girlfriend (who is now my wife). She's Indian so she's got black hair and a medium-dark complexion. Me, I'm all southern Italian -- two Neapolitan grandmothers, one Sicilian grandfather, and the other grandfather Calabrese. My Italian was never much to brag about, but I'd brushed up enough to get by and my accent was convincing even if my vocabulary was lacking.

So we were in Palermo, staying at a youth hostel, and I found a way to explain to our host, a sweet grandmotherly figure, where my four grandparents came from (all of it in Italian). She said (again, in Italian) "Madonna, you're from all over the place!" From her stunned reaction, you would think I had said my four grandparents came from Uruguay, Finland, Japan, and the Congo!

Then she took a look at my Indian girlfriend and said, "Well, at least you found yourself a nice Sicilian girl." :D

Awesome story!

Yes, Italy is like that. Pisa (for example) "can't stand" the Lucchesi and vice versa.

krystl
10-31-07, 11:14 AM
Did I miss the press conference??

nnysiny
10-31-07, 11:15 AM

i think the Dodgers pushed his price up at the end

Krall
10-31-07, 11:19 AM

I did as well as Mattingly's, didn't know he was having one. What an odd off-season where not even a player has been signed/traded yet we've had press conference after press conference for staff/ownership.

BTW, did Guidry and or Eiland have a press conference?

Dannman103
10-31-07, 11:25 AM

The haven't had one yet, just a conference call, and most of the talking in that was done by Cashman. I believe there will be a full press conference in the next few days.

krystl
10-31-07, 11:26 AM
The haven't had one yet, just a conference call, and most of the talking in that was done by Cashman. I believe there will be a full press conference in the next few days.
Oh good, thanks. :)

twoutrally
10-31-07, 01:15 PM
Oh good, thanks. :)

7.5 million dollars for an inexperienced manager. C'mon

Its funny if the Yankees don't come up with all that dough then he signs with the Dodgers. So much for being sooooo honored to wear the Yankee uniform

krystl
10-31-07, 01:56 PM

Its funny if the Yankees don't come up with all that dough then he signs with the Dodgers. So much for being sooooo honored to wear the Yankee uniform
:confused: I know you're not a fan of Girardi, but what does that have to do with my post about the press conference?

And Joe G isn't inexperienced.

Game4Tino
10-31-07, 02:02 PM

This is what happens when you paint yourself into a corner. Obviously, they didn't give Girardi the impression that he had any competition. Oh well, I guess Yankee management will never learn their lesson when it comes to overpaying for players/managers/hot dog vendors.

sweet_lou_14
10-31-07, 02:15 PM

Have you ever held a job?

I've worked for places where I absolutely loved my job and I was proud to be there. But since I was not working for a charity or a non-profit, when it came time to negotiate I wanted the best salary I could possibly get. Who wouldn't?

Game4Tino
10-31-07, 02:23 PM

I've worked for places where I absolutely loved my job and I was proud to be there. But since I was not working for a charity or a non-profit, when it came time to negotiate I wanted the best salary I could possibly get. Who wouldn't?

B-I-N-G-O

I think sometimes we lose sight of the fact that these guys still have the right to obtain the highest salary possible. Most likely because the numbers just disgust us.

bigwampum
10-31-07, 03:19 PM
And Joe G isn't inexperienced.

Just underexperienced. A novice, if you will.

yanksrule51
10-31-07, 03:23 PM

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/10/31/2007-10-31_yankees_will_formally_introduce_joe_gira.html

Press Conference is Thursday at 1PM

krystl
10-31-07, 03:24 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/10/31/2007-10-31_yankees_will_formally_introduce_joe_gira.html

Thank you. :)

sahara
10-31-07, 03:26 PM

Do you know someone named schitling38, by any chance?

Dannman103
10-31-07, 03:29 PM

Exactly. Even if you would rather work one job, anyone out there would still use the fact that they are being offered another one as leverage when negotiating. I mean, if you have the ability to make more, why not do so? Obviously, the Yankees were willing to give him this amount of money, so whats the big deal?

MassNYYfan
10-31-07, 09:11 PM

That gonna be on YES, I assume?

How long should I set the DVR for, since I doubt the program guide is gonna say anything but MMD (they've stunned me with their updating before, though).

twoutrally
10-31-07, 09:54 PM

Have you ever owned a corporation or franchise. You don't make a rookie manager the HIGHEST paid manager in baseball. We the fans end up paying in the long run and Girardi MAY be a good manager he is NOT worth 7.5 million dollars. We could have signed Torre for 12 million over two years. I cannot believe it. This guy should be making no more then 3 to 4 million a year. Does anybody know what he made with the Marlins? I heard on the Mike and the Mad Dog show this afternoon his post season average with the Yankees was below 200 and he had only 1 rbi. (He sure wasn't responsible for winning those world series championships)

In Mo I Trust
10-31-07, 10:02 PM
Have you ever owned a corporation or franchise. You don't make a rookie manager the HIGHEST paid manager in baseball. We the fans end up paying in the long run and Girardi MAY be a good manager he is NOT worth 7.5 million dollars. We could have signed Torre for 12 million over two years. I cannot believe it. This guy should be making no more then 3 to 4 million a year. Does anybody know what he made with the Marlins? I heard on the Mike and the Mad Dog show this afternoon his post season average with the Yankees was below 200 and he had only 1 rbi. (He sure wasn't responsible for winning those world series championships)

Girardi is making 7.5 million over the 3 years.

Dynasties R Forever
10-31-07, 10:03 PM

This is what happens when you paint yourself into a corner. Obviously, they didn't give Girardi the impression that he had any competition. Oh well, I guess Yankee management will never learn their lesson when it comes to overpaying for players/managers/hot dog vendors.

You two need to buy a clue.

He's getting $2.5 mill. a year for three years.

twoutrally
10-31-07, 10:06 PM

Oh I thought 7.5 per year. Now I'll be able to sleep tonight

Thanks!!! Okay enough bitching its time to support our new Manager. Hope he gets Paul...

Dr. Gonzo
10-31-07, 10:08 PM
B-I-N-G-O

I think sometimes we lose sight of the fact that these guys still have the right to obtain the highest salary possible. Most likely because the numbers just disgust us.agreed, we all try to get as much as we can for ourselves, in the end you are looking out for numero uno.

Roberto Kelly
10-31-07, 10:29 PM
I heard on the Mike and the Mad Dog show this afternoon his post season average with the Yankees was below 200 and he had only 1 rbi. (He sure wasn't responsible for winning those world series championships)

And what does that have to do with his abilities as a manager?

R.V.47
10-31-07, 10:31 PM

Is 2.5 around the league average for managers?

Mantle'sMutt
10-31-07, 11:06 PM

Hard to believe the term "three-year $7.5M deal" requires translation. :rolleyes emoticon which doesn't exist on this site, but I wish that it did:

Dynasties R Forever
10-31-07, 11:29 PM
Oh I thought 7.5 per year. Now I'll be able to sleep tonight

Thanks!!! Okay enough bitching its time to support our new Manager. Hope he gets Paul...

If sleeping is still a problem, try some chamomille tea. ;)

Glad to see you on board.

Dynasties R Forever
10-31-07, 11:31 PM
Is 2.5 around the league average for managers?

Going by 2007 numbers, he would be fourth.

http://www.bizofbaseball.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=631&Itemid=73

coba
11-01-07, 03:22 AM
lol Girardi is paid $2.5M with $1M to manage the team and $1.5M to handle the Steinbrenners:)

ajra21
11-01-07, 06:01 AM
lol Girardi is paid $2.5M with $1M to manage the team and $1.5M to handle the Steinbrenners:)

not sure those rotios are quite right.

Game4Tino
11-01-07, 01:34 PM

No, you need to buy a clue. Try knowing what I'm speaking to before making obnoxious posts such as this.

I knew that the contract was for 3 years @ 2.5 million. I still say that is too much. By all indications, the original deal was for 6 million and the Dodgers drove that up and were able to do so because the Yankees obviously told Girardi he was their number one.

Honestly, why is it that so many on these boards are consumed with attempting to belittle other members?

BRNXBMRS
11-02-07, 08:23 AM
An interesting tidbit from Joel Sherman this am.

Which is interesting since even after the Yankees offered him the “dream job," Girardi was strong-arming the Yankees for more money by using the Dodgers for leverage. The Yanks had hoped to pay their new manager the same total ($5.5 million) over three years that Joe Torre was guaranteed if he came back for just one year.

But, club officials confirm, the Yankees had to match the Dodger offer of $7.8 million for Girardi to accept his “dream job." That is fine. That is just business, I suppose, though you would like to believe a man of principle wouldn't jeopardize his “dream" for financial reasons.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11022007/sports/yankees/on_day_one__jumpy_joe_shows_some_fight_268956.htm

JavyVazquezIsSick
11-02-07, 08:26 AM
:lol: Girardi is pure evil.

Yankees13
11-02-07, 02:47 PM
How minions in the media does Torre have doing his bidding? Jeez.

Anyway, Girardi will be a great manager. From listening to him I believe he is a man of supreme intelligence, and will take a through, analytical approach to the job. I believe he has a burning passion and drive that has been missing from the Yankees, but at the same time I believe his intelligence will allow to adapt his approach to different players, so as to not burn out/alienate his players a la a Showalter or Pinella. I can't wait for the season to start to see him get to work.

JSG
11-02-07, 02:56 PM
.............. from Joel Sherman this am.

i think the post writers should have basically said for today's issue, we have nothing interesting or original to say, but we just want to stir the pot w crap for a while and throw out some half digested negative garbage ............ girardi was able to increase his price $500K per because he was talking to the dodgers. big deal. it's called negotiating !!!!!!!

GraniteYankee
11-02-07, 03:03 PM
It's pretty simple, Girardi wanted to manage again and his first choice was the Yanks, however, Mattingly was in the picture as well and it was'nt a done deal that Girardi would get the job, so he hedged and he ended up squeezing more $ out of it. Good for him.

BRNXBMRS
11-02-07, 03:05 PM
i think the post writers should have basically said for today's issue, we have nothing interesting or original to say, but we just want to stir the pot w crap for a while and throw out some half digested negative garbage ............ girardi was able to increase his price $500K per because he was talking to the dodgers. big deal. it's called negotiating !!!!!!!

exactly, who wouldnt do that to get more $$. It was just interesting to hear b/c no one mentioned it.

LeapsNbounds
11-02-07, 03:07 PM
:lol: Girardi is pure evil.

At least he didn't ask for 350MM just to START talking to him ;)

JSG
11-02-07, 03:08 PM
exactly, who wouldnt do that to get more $$. It was just interesting to hear b/c no one mentioned it.

what i objected to was the way sherman tries to spin it as this EVIDENCE of DECEIT by girardi .......... HAH, he said it was his dream job, but NOOOOOO he lied, he held the NYY up by leveraging the LA offer ......... HAH .......... i mean, some times this journalist is a total idiot ................

rodg12
11-02-07, 03:23 PM
what i objected to was the way sherman tries to spin it as this EVIDENCE of DECEIT by girardi .......... HAH, he said it was his dream job, but NOOOOOO he lied, he held the NYY up by leveraging the LA offer ......... HAH .......... i mean, some times this journalist is a total idiot ................

Same thing I thought when I read the article. Who's this guy kidding, everyone tries to negotiate the highest salary for their services even if it is their dream job.

JSG
11-02-07, 03:48 PM
Same thing I thought when I read the article. Who's this guy kidding, everyone tries to negotiate the highest salary for their services even if it is their dream job.

....... and he bumped a whole $500K per ...... !!! ......... petty shoplifting compared to The Great Train Robbery that is a rod .............. !!! ...........

Jasbro
11-02-07, 03:58 PM
No, you need to buy a clue. Try knowing what I'm speaking to before making obnoxious posts such as this.

I knew that the contract was for 3 years @ 2.5 million. I still say that is too much. By all indications, the original deal was for 6 million and the Dodgers drove that up and were able to do so because the Yankees obviously told Girardi he was their number one.

Honestly, why is it that so many on these boards are consumed with attempting to belittle other members?

Anonymity. Inadequacy. Insecurity.

Mr. Mxylsplk
11-02-07, 04:25 PM
I'm with you guys completely. Sherman deserved a slap for writing something so obnoxious.

bxbomber328
11-02-07, 07:38 PM
I'm with you guys completely. Sherman deserved a slap for writing something so obnoxious.

And I like sherman, i guess there was nothing to write