PDA

View Full Version : The "I just saw a movie that doesn't warrant its own thread" thread

Pages : [1] 2

YankeePride1967
11-27-05, 07:47 PM
Obviously movies like Harry Potter and King Kong will have a thread of its own, but this thread is for a movie that you saw that may not be worthy of it's own thread.

I saw three such movies this weekend:

"Just Friends". I liked this movie. As a kid who had weight issues as a kid, I can emphasize with what the character went through. Some funny moments as well.

"Ice Harvest". A real dark movie. Considering it came from the creators of Caddyshack and Groundhog Day, I was expecting a comedy.

"Yours, Mine and Ours". Based on, but not a total remake of the 1968 Henry Fonda/Lucille Ball movie. Not that thick of a plot, but good lighthearded fun.

Evil Empire
11-27-05, 07:49 PM
Ice Harvest is dark? It looks really funny in the commercials.

NYYBombshell
11-27-05, 07:49 PM
99% of movies released don't deserve their own threads.

YankeePride1967
11-27-05, 07:51 PM
Ice Harvest is dark? It looks really funny in the commercials.

It's about two men who decide to rob a mob boss of money and the repurcussions of it. There were some fairly humorous moments, but it wasn't a comedy.

Sam18
11-27-05, 07:53 PM
Wow, the last movie I saw at the theaters was Batman Begins.

NYYBombshell
11-27-05, 08:00 PM
Wow, the last movie I saw at the theaters was Batman Begins.

The last movie I saw in the theaters was Chicago. I always say I'm going to see a movie, but I never do.

Sam18
11-27-05, 08:01 PM
The last movie I saw in the theaters was Chicago. I always say I'm going to see a movie, but I never do.

Same here. But I do plan on seeing King Kong.

JDPNYY
I saw two movies in the past week. Neither qualify for this Thread.

When I see a movie that does qualify for this Thread I'll report on it.

Evil Empire

The Last movie you saw was in Chicago? What a coincidence.

Tifoso
11-27-05, 08:03 PM

Chronicles of Narnia --if the movie is just 1/10 as good as the book, it'll be awesome

Sam18
11-27-05, 08:15 PM
The Last movie you saw was in Chicago? What a coincidence.

I know. And I didn't bring a windbreaker either.

Evil Empire
11-27-05, 08:25 PM
You didn't take a windbreaker!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I'll mace you good!

Tifoso
11-27-05, 08:25 PM

ci piscio

sorry---old Italian-American joke :o

Sam18
11-27-05, 08:27 PM
ci piscio

sorry---old Italian-American joke :o

You're in Cali right? Watch the Simpsons tonight.

Tifoso
11-27-05, 08:29 PM
You're in Cali right? Watch the Simpsons tonight.

they do the ci cago, ci piscio joke? :eek:

Sam18
11-27-05, 08:33 PM
they do the ci cago, ci piscio joke? :eek:

IDK but this episode is about Italians.

Tifoso
11-27-05, 08:37 PM
IDK but this episode is about Italians.

Which channel--not listed on Fox :confused:

Sam18
11-27-05, 08:39 PM
Which channel--not listed on Fox :confused:

WTF? Its supposed to be on FOX.

Tifoso
11-27-05, 08:42 PM
Charmed

BronxByTheBay
11-27-05, 08:44 PM
"Shopgirl" was pretty good. And you got to see Claire Danes's ass.

jlw1980
11-27-05, 08:44 PM
Chronicles of Narnia --if the movie is just 1/10 as good as the book, it'll be awesome

I think that one will warrant its own thread. It looks awesome, from the previews.

YankeePride1967
11-27-05, 08:46 PM
"Shopgirl" was pretty good. And you got to see Claire Danes's ass.

Thanks, that alone makes it worth it. I'm there next.

Sam18
11-27-05, 08:46 PM
Charmed

Sorry to hear that Lou. This was a really funny episode.

Archer1979
11-27-05, 08:47 PM
I just saw Fat Albert on HBO. For anyone else who saw it, there's a scene at the end...

S
p
o
i
l
e
r

Were those really the real-life inspiration for the Fat Albert Gang?

BronxByTheBay
11-27-05, 08:50 PM
I just saw Fat Albert on HBO. For anyone else who saw it, there's a scene at the end...

You f*cking watched "Fat Albert" and made it all the way till the end? And you're under the impression there's more than one of you?

YankeePride1967
11-27-05, 08:51 PM
how about "Freddie Got Fingered"?

Archer1979
11-27-05, 08:51 PM
You f*cking watched "Fat Albert" and made it all the way till the end? And you're under the impression there's more than one of you?

Hey, hey, hey, that's not a nice thang to say.

shroud
11-27-05, 09:39 PM
Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo....... I believe in the "If you cant think of anything positive to say dont say anything at all" philosophy so here it is: Well it didnt make me want to rip my eyes out. Oh, and it mentions Venezuelan hookers :)

Sheff_Rod
11-27-05, 09:48 PM

I think that one will warrant its own thread. It looks awesome, from the previews.

I LOVE that book. Can't wait to see the movie, definitely deserves its own thread when it comes out.

AMC
11-27-05, 10:31 PM
I saw Pride and Prejudice today and really enjoyed it.

chanman7483
11-27-05, 11:48 PM
Just saw Boiler Room... I know iknow, everyone has seen it but me... Quick question, when all the guys are in the bar and Rich(i think his name is) takes the guy out behind the bar and beats him up while everyone is standing around... who is the guys that gets beat up... whats his role in the movie?

ring403
11-27-05, 11:59 PM
I just rented The Devil's Rejects. Sick, brutal, and disturbing.

Loved it. ;)

NYYBombshell
11-28-05, 12:05 AM
I saw Pride and Prejudice today and really enjoyed it.

I have the BBC TV series with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth.

keg411
11-28-05, 12:10 AM
I just saw "Just Friends" and found it terrible and horribly unfunny. I really feel like I wasted my money on that one. I liked the premise and the ads, but the execution was just terrible. As was the writing. Horrible movie all around -- writing, acting (and I usually like Ryan Reynolds and Amy Smart) and everything. Just a bad movie.

AMC
11-28-05, 03:26 AM

I love that version of Pride and Prejudice. I have the earlier BBC version from 1980 starring Elizabeth Garvie and David Rintoul (they showed it on Masterpiece Theater on PBS). I like that one even better than the A&E/BBC version with Colin Firth.

GiambiRocks
11-28-05, 07:14 AM

I'll wait patiently.

RhodeyYankee2638
11-28-05, 07:19 AM
I saw Xanadu, and guess what, Im still having a seizure.

krystl
11-28-05, 03:13 PM
I saw 2 rentals this weekend. I know I am not going to be popular for this one but I didn't like Anchorman at all. I didn't even make it all the way through.

Then I watched The Terminal, with Tom Hanks, which I liked very much.

(Btw, I know Anchorman has had its own thread, I was just commenting).

Evil Empire
11-28-05, 05:26 PM
I saw 2 rentals this weekend. I know I am not going to be popular for this one but I didn't like Anchorman at all. I didn't even make it all the way through.

I liked both.

SheffRocks11
11-28-05, 08:48 PM

I wanna see that too, but the whole thing with Jack Black playing a serious role is just weird.

jlw1980
11-28-05, 08:58 PM

Actually it's the A&E miniseries, not the BBC miniseries. The BBC version sucks compared to the Ehle/Firth version; I've seen both. Anyway, I own it (A&E version) as well, and watch it frequently. Yes, I often watch all five hours of it. That's how great it is!! I ADORE IT. I'm almost afraid to see the movie, because I know it won't be as good. The guy in it can't compare to my Colin, and Kiera Knightley has nothing on Jennifer Ehle. Plus, and worst of all, they necessarily had to cut out many parts of the story to make it short enough for a feature film. I'm sure I'll see the movie, anyway, because I love the story...but I'm almost equally sure it'll be a disappointment.

RhodyYanksFan
11-30-05, 04:37 PM

I fell asleep in Anchorman too. It was too stupid.

AMC
11-30-05, 11:53 PM
I rented Mr. & Mrs. Smith yesterday. I avoided seeing the movie when it came out because of all the Brad Pitt/Angelina Jolie hype but decided to give it a chance. I liked it well enough but I'm so sick of hearing about those two that I think that took away some of my enjoyment of the movie.

krystl
12-01-05, 10:46 AM
I rented Mr. & Mrs. Smith yesterday. I avoided seeing the movie when it came out because of all the Brad Pitt/Angelina Jolie hype but decided to give it a chance. I liked it well enough but I'm so sick of hearing about those two that I think that took away some of my enjoyment of the movie.
Oooh, I forgot about that one. I just added it to my Queue.

CoyoteYankee
12-01-05, 12:42 PM

I am a total gossip queen so I don't mind all the Brangelina stuff but I saw this movie on a plane on my way to California and I thought it totally sucked. Maybe it was because I was watching it on one of those tiny, crappy airplane TV's but it didn't hold my interest at all. In fact, I fell asleep in the middle of it and I hardly ever do that with movies.

gdn
12-01-05, 01:34 PM
I just saw Harry Potter. It was pretty good.

Sam18
12-01-05, 02:08 PM
I just saw Harry Potter

Cool, did you say hi to him? Did you ask for an autograph? Did he fly away?

Pancake
12-01-05, 03:00 PM
This Pride and Prejudice was good. It stands on it's own, and has it's own merits as does the 1995 Colin Firth/Jennifer Ehle version. It's good. And you get to see Judi Dench chew up all her scenes with that big hair. Go see it.

Walk the Line is next on my list.

Pancake
12-01-05, 03:03 PM
I am a total gossip queen so I don't mind all the Brangelina stuff but I saw this movie on a plane on my way to California and I thought it totally sucked. Maybe it was because I was watching it on one of those tiny, crappy airplane TV's but it didn't hold my interest at all. In fact, I fell asleep in the middle of it and I hardly ever do that with movies.

United was running that movie on coast to coast flights in the fall. I was kind of suprised too. I thought it was a little too much topic for the little kids to be watching. It was better in the theater though.

ChocolateGirl
12-02-05, 02:07 AM
Last weekend I wached the movie Jennifer Anniston is in called "Derailed". It was very good. I was very surprised because she normally plays in comedy movies so I didn't expect it to be good. The movie has a nice twist to it. Not worth paying $10 bucks to see it though. Thank goodness I watched it on boot leg.

I also saw 50 Cent movie. It was just as good as 8 mile. 50 Cent acting skills were also pretty good. That surprised me a little. I also watch this movie on bootleg.

I will go to the movies next week to see The Lion the Witch and The Wardrobe and Walk the Line.

ChocolateGirl
12-02-05, 02:12 AM
I seen the trailer to Pirates of the Carribbean 2: Dead Man's Chest. It looks really good and like it will live up to the first movie. :clapping: however, at the end of the trailer, I was let down by the release date which is July 7th, 2006. Now I have to wait 8 freakin more months. :enraged:

jlw1980
12-02-05, 02:35 AM
I seen the trailer to Pirates of the Carribbean 2: Dead Man's Chest. It looks really good and like it will live up to the first movie. :clapping: however, at the end of the trailer, I was let down by the release date which is July 7th, 2006. Now I have to wait 8 freakin more months. :enraged:

You "seen" it, huh? Is that the same as, "I saw it" or "I have seen it"? Now, now, we mustn't have past participles without modifiers! ;) :P

P.S. Don't mind me; I'm a nerd. :D

ChocolateGirl
12-02-05, 03:05 AM
You "seen" it, huh? Is that the same as, "I saw it" or "I have seen it"? Now, now, we mustn't have past participles without modifiers! ;) :P

P.S. Don't mind me; I'm a nerd. :D

Whatever "Ms. English Grammer". :P So are you a fan of the movie? :) I love Depp and Bloom. :drool: :ga-ga:

AMC
12-02-05, 04:35 PM
I saw Aeon Flux today. I liked it although some people will probably want to wait until it's out on video/DVD. The critics don't seem to like this movie (not that I ever care what they think).

Evil Empire
12-12-05, 11:16 PM
Did anyone see Syriana?

Sam18
12-12-05, 11:17 PM
Did anyone see Syriana?

Its only been released in NY no?

Evil Empire
12-12-05, 11:21 PM
Its only been released in NY no?
It's playing at my local theatre...

Sam18
12-12-05, 11:28 PM
It's playing at my local theatre...

FINE!!!

Evil Empire
12-12-05, 11:29 PM
FINE!!!

Why thank you.

Seriously though, did anyone see it?

YankeePride1967
12-13-05, 09:09 AM
Did anyone see Syriana?

I saw it Friday (it is released nationwide). I liked it. It is a very political movie though.

Hitman23
12-13-05, 12:18 PM
In my world it deserves it's own thread. On here, not so much.

Vol 2: Clone Wars (Star Wars cartoon just released on DVD)

Awesome. :cool:

RhodeyYankee2638
12-13-05, 12:53 PM
Did anyone see Syriana?

I saw it at a private viewing last monday. pay attention to it very carefully, theres a lot of people in it and it gets confusing

PinstripePride
12-13-05, 01:44 PM
What'd you guys thin of Crash? I thought I remembered a thread around here on it, but I cant seem to find it.

RhodeyYankee2638
12-13-05, 01:45 PM
What'd you guys thin of Crash? I thought I remembered a thread around here on it, but I cant seem to find it.

I thought it was incredible. Very thought provoking. Matt Dillon just got nominated for a Golden Globe for it actually

YankeePride1967
12-13-05, 04:53 PM
I saw "Derailed" today. Very good.

Evil Empire
12-13-05, 05:03 PM
In my world it deserves it's own thread. On here, not so much.

Vol 2: Clone Wars (Star Wars cartoon just released on DVD)

Awesome. :cool:

Nice. I'll get on that. :)

I saw it at a private viewing last monday. pay attention to it very carefully, theres a lot of people in it and it gets confusing
Noted.

Great movie. There is a thread: http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=89269

Cool. Should I see Syriana or Derailed tomorrow then?

YankeePride1967
12-13-05, 05:05 PM
http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=89269[/url]

Cool. Should I see Syriana or Derailed tomorrow then?

As someone above noted, if you go see Syriana, pay real close attention. Don't go if you are tired. I liked both for different reasons.

Snatch Catch
12-13-05, 05:14 PM
Vanilla Sky should be stricken from existance.

RhodeyYankee2638
12-13-05, 05:31 PM
I saw Mystic River the other night for the first time (its been on my netflix list for a while). Good movie, Sean Penn really knows how to play scum bags

YankeePride1967
12-13-05, 07:06 PM
I bought "40 Year Old Virgin" today. Has added scenes.

ChocolateGirl
12-14-05, 12:38 AM

Yeah I saw it on boot leg. Great movie but not worth me paying $10 for it. I was really impressed because I thought that Jennifer Anniston could not carry a movie like that (she does lots of comedy movies).

JDPNYY
12-14-05, 01:01 AM
I saw Cinderalla Man tonight. I wanted to see it in the Movies, but I never was able to get to it.

What a movie!

NYDCYankee
12-14-05, 01:09 AM
I saw Cinderalla Man tonight. I wanted to see it in the Movies, but I never was able to get to it.

What a movie!

I saw it on a plane flying back from Madrid, and I thought it was incredible.

Then Fantastic Four came on and it was awful. I think it was made extra awful because I had just watched such well written well acted movie and then it came on.

StaceyRosie
12-14-05, 09:05 AM
I finally watched "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"

I want a doctor to help me erase certain people from my memory.

RhodeyYankee2638
12-14-05, 09:08 AM

That was entertaining and kinda creepy at the same time

fredgmuggs
12-14-05, 09:47 AM

What a movie!

Thanks for reminding me it's out on video... I'll have to go out and rent it. I saw it during the summer and I loved it but I was surprised that it didn't do as well at the box office as they anticipated... I'm not sure why that was. And Paul Giamatti is absolutely brilliant in it.

JDPNYY
12-14-05, 09:50 AM
Thanks for reminding me it's out on video... I'll have to go out and rent it. I saw it during the summer and I loved it but I was surprised that it didn't do as well at the box office as they anticipated... I'm not sure why that was. And Paul Giamatti is absolutely brilliant in it.

I don't know why it didn't do better either... but then again I didn't see it (despite wanting to). It's a wonderful story and well acted all around, but if Giamatti doesn't win the Oscar there's something really wrong.

corynnmarie
12-14-05, 10:05 AM

That movie...was a letdown.

It got such fantastic word-of-mouth hype...and then it was just plain weird. And I typically enjoy weird movies.

I think it had an interesting, thought-provoking message, but it's not one I could sit through more than once.

fredgmuggs
12-14-05, 10:26 AM
I don't know why it didn't do better either... but then again I didn't see it (despite wanting to). It's a wonderful story and well acted all around, but if Giamatti doesn't win the Oscar there's something really wrong.

No argument here. Although I did have to put my Renee Zellweger loathing aside in order to see the movie. I have no rational explanation why she irritates me as much as she does. I guess everybody has their prejudices?

JDPNYY
12-14-05, 10:29 AM
No argument here. Although I did have to put my Renee Zellweger loathing aside in order to see the movie. I have no rational explanation why she irritates me as much as she does. I guess everybody has their prejudices?

I agree I normally can't stand her, but she was actually pretty good in this. The one problem I had with the film was the depiction of Max Baer. From anything I've read he was nothing like the monster the film made him out to be. I guess having him displayed that way made Braddock even more the hero. I understand why Jethro was upset by the movie.

fredgmuggs
12-14-05, 10:47 AM
I agree I normally can't stand her, but she was actually pretty good in this. The one problem I had with the film was the depiction of Max Baer. From anything I've read he was nothing like the monster the film made him out to be. I guess having him displayed that way made Braddock even more the hero. I understand why Jethro was upset by the movie.

Max Baer, Jr. being forever remembered as "Jethro" isn't enough to upset him for the rest of his life? Now he has to go out and find more things to be mad about?

Yes I heard the same thing said about the Max Baer character as well... but I enjoyed the Max Baer character in the movie. I always assume Hollywood takes a great deal of liberities when portaying historical figures and events anyway. And besides, what's a boxing movie without a hero to root for and a villian to root against (other than Raging Bull of course)?

SuperMario66
12-14-05, 11:40 AM

I feel the exact same way. She didn't annoy me quite a badly in this film, but I still don't like her. She has an awkward face.

RhodyYanksFan
12-14-05, 12:22 PM
She has an awkward face.

I've been saying for years that she looks like she was stung by a bee. I also enjoy the "stop biting the lemon" comments I've read.

RhodeyYankee2638
12-14-05, 12:24 PM
I've been saying for years that she looks like she was stung by a bee. I also enjoy the "stop biting the lemon" comments I've read.

LOL, Jim Carey says that right to her face in Me, Myself and Irene about the lemon face

CoyoteYankee
12-14-05, 12:33 PM

Me too!

I loved the movie though. It's one of my favorites.

fredgmuggs
12-14-05, 01:29 PM
I feel the exact same way. She didn't annoy me quite a badly in this film, but I still don't like her. She has an awkward face.

I think my Renee Zellweger loathing went into overdrive after my wife dragged me kicking and screaming (albeit silently) to see the second Bridget Jones movie (thankfully I avioded the first one) and some God awful parody of a Rock Hudson/Doris Day movie that she starred in. Their titles escape me because I'm trying to erase all memory of actually having seen these movies from my collected consciuosness. Oh, the things we do in the name of love! And yeah, the "sucking lemons face" description pretty much nails it for me too.

edit: OK, I know it's "collective" consciousness and not "collected" consciousness. I really should proof read these things before I post them.

penfold
12-14-05, 02:07 PM
I saw the movie version of the b'way musical The Producers. Very entertaining. But... the first 10 minutes of the film are amongst the worst -- the most painful -- 10 minutes of any film ever made. If you can just survive up to the point when Jon Lovitz shows up, the film suddenly improves incredibly (not because of Jon Lovitz but because the film finally "opens up" at that point).

All in all, great fun.

Having said that, I'm convinced that the film will be a bomb. I just don't think it'll do well in the multiplexes.

RhodeyYankee2638
12-14-05, 02:14 PM
I saw the movie version of the b'way musical The Producers. Very entertaining. But... the first 10 minutes of the film are amongst the worst -- the most painful -- 10 minutes of any film ever made. If you can just survive up to the point when Jon Lovitz shows up, the film suddenly improves incredibly (not because of Jon Lovitz but because the film finally "opens up" at that point).

All in all, great fun.

Having said that, I'm convinced that the film will be a bomb. I just don't think it'll do well in the multiplexes.

Which one? The original version or the remake?

Edit: Im an idiot, i dont think Lovitz was in the Original.

penfold
12-14-05, 02:23 PM
Which one? The original version or the remake?

Edit: Im an idiot, i dont think Lovitz was in the Original.

No sweat... it gets confusing... first there was the original movie, then there was the musical based on the original movie, then there's the movie based on the musical based on the original movie. I saw the movie based on the musical based on the original movie. With Nathan Lane (who REALLY resembles Lou Costello these days) and Matthew Broderick.

RhodyYanksFan
12-15-05, 01:53 PM

All in all, great fun.

How close was it to the broadway show? I have seen the original movie and the musical. The musical made me laugh out loud many times. I didn't really like the old movie that much but I was looking forward to the new one, especially because it has Will Ferrell.

penfold
12-16-05, 05:47 PM
How close was it to the broadway show? I have seen the original movie and the musical. The musical made me laugh out loud many times. I didn't really like the old movie that much but I was looking forward to the new one, especially because it has Will Ferrell.

It's practically the same show. They cut a number or two, added a song over the end credits (which you should sit through to the very end). All in all, if you can suffer through those first 10 minutes, you'll probably like it.

krystl
12-16-05, 07:18 PM
I rented Christmas With the Kranks. We're going to watch it tonight. I love Tim Allen.

Anyone see it?

YankeePride1967
12-16-05, 10:09 PM
I rented Christmas With the Kranks. We're going to watch it tonight. I love Tim Allen.

Anyone see it?

I did. I like John Grisham's books and also Tim Allen. If you like Allen, you'll like this one.

krystl
12-16-05, 10:48 PM
I did. I like John Grisham's books and also Tim Allen. If you like Allen, you'll like this one.
I love Tim Allen. I enjoyed the movie. My husband thought it was dumb.
I laughed my butt off when he had the botox and was trying to eat the peaches and drink the water. Hubby said the best part was watching me laugh. :lol:

RhodeyYankee2638
12-16-05, 10:50 PM
It's practically the same show. They cut a number or two, added a song over the end credits (which you should sit through to the very end). All in all, if you can suffer through those first 10 minutes, you'll probably like it.

The original is the same way. The first 10 or 15 minutes is insanely insanely painful

PettittesPrincess
12-18-05, 01:48 PM
Saw The Family Stone this weekend... eh nothing special.

corynnmarie
12-18-05, 02:19 PM

I saw it this weekend, too. Highly predictable, some very funny moments, but I'd call this one a rental.

PettittesPrincess
12-18-05, 02:26 PM
I saw it this weekend, too. Highly predictable, some very funny moments, but I'd call this one a rental.
It was funny, but yeah extremely predictable and had some political undertones I could have done without. Rental.

penfold
12-18-05, 08:16 PM
Okay... I suffered through Syriana this weekend. Two words for y'all: STAY AWAY.

Obnoxious, facile, long, useless... can I come up with more adjectives for this film?

Instead of a "character sketch," it's a "situation sketch" in which people are reacting to things that are happening. There's no character to really root for. And the shocking revelation is this: oil companies are run by bad people. Whoopdeedoo!

It ain't worth $10; that's for sure!

YankeePride1967
12-18-05, 09:26 PM
Okay... I suffered through Syriana this weekend. Two words for y'all: STAY AWAY.

Obnoxious, facile, long, useless... can I come up with more adjectives for this film?

Instead of a "character sketch," it's a "situation sketch" in which people are reacting to things that are happening. There's no character to really root for. And the shocking revelation is this: oil companies are run by bad people. Whoopdeedoo!

It ain't worth $10; that's for sure!

I have to agree. It was 4 movies in one and Clooney would have been better off taking out an op ed piece in the NY Times (I'm sure he'd have no problem getting ample space there).

RhodeyYankee2638
12-18-05, 09:56 PM
I have to agree. It was 4 movies in one and Clooney would have been better off taking out an op ed piece in the NY Times (I'm sure he'd have no problem getting ample space there).

I loved how they try to portray Clooney as being oppressed by our government, after he gives guided missle to terrorists. I'd hope he is

ChocolateGirl
12-20-05, 01:43 AM

What a movie!

Sorry I might be the only one here who thought this movie was boring. :drool: I fell asleep throughout the entire movie and it didn't captivate me at all. :o

I am still debating whether I should see the Lost World. :uhh:

Evil Empire
12-20-05, 07:55 AM
I downloaded American Pie: Band Camp. I think it might be one of those direct to DVD/tape movies. I'll let you know when I watch it.

Evil Empire
12-20-05, 02:49 PM
American Pie : Band Camp was okay. Just *basically* using the fame of the old movies to run through.

I also watched Batman Begins. Very good. Can't wait for the sequel.

JDPNYY
12-20-05, 02:54 PM
Sorry I might be the only one here who thought this movie was boring. :drool: I fell asleep throughout the entire movie and it didn't captivate me at all. :o

I am still debating whether I should see the Lost World. :uhh:

If you slept through the entire movie, how do you know it was boring? You might have been tired or you might have fallen asleep during one seemingly boring part of the movie.

RhodeyYankee2638
12-20-05, 02:59 PM
I downloaded American Pie: Band Camp. I think it might be one of those direct to DVD/tape movies. I'll let you know when I watch it.

The first time I heard about it was last night when I saw a commericial for it. It looks awful

Evil Empire
12-20-05, 03:00 PM
The first time I heard about it was last night when I saw a commericial for it. It looks awful

Really? I read it on IMdb a few months back. The main chick is pretty hot.

RhodeyYankee2638
12-20-05, 03:01 PM
Really? I read it on IMdb a few months back. The main chick is pretty hot.

They couldn't even get Stifler's brother from the first 3 movies to play Stifler's brother in this one

Evil Empire
12-20-05, 03:02 PM
They couldn't even get Stifler's brother from the first 3 movies to play Stifler's brother in this one

:lol: This kid really looked and acted like Stifler though. So I guess it was alright. Eugene Levy and the Shermanator were the only seen holdovers.

RhodeyYankee2638
12-20-05, 03:10 PM
:lol: This kid really looked and acted like Stifler though. So I guess it was alright. Eugene Levy and the Shermanator were the only seen holdovers.

Poor Eugene. Remember when he used to make classic movies, like Armed and Dangerous, and Waiting for Guffman

Evil Empire
12-20-05, 03:11 PM
Poor Eugene. Remember when he used to make classic movies, like Armed and Dangerous, and Waiting for Guffman

And New York Minute.

Oh wait....

Sam18
12-20-05, 03:16 PM
And New York Minute.

Oh wait....

Is that the one with the Olson twins?

RhodeyYankee2638
12-20-05, 03:17 PM
Is that the one with the Olson twins?

I had relations with both of them

Sam18
12-20-05, 03:28 PM
I had relations with both of them

Before they were famous right?

RhodeyYankee2638
12-20-05, 03:29 PM

Yeah, they weighed more back then

Sam18
12-20-05, 03:33 PM
Yeah, they weighed more back then

Cool. You a chubby chaser?

RhodeyYankee2638
12-20-05, 03:34 PM
Cool. You a chubby chaser?

Yes, its like having intercourse with many comfortable pillows

Sam18
12-20-05, 03:35 PM
Yes, its like having intercourse with many comfortable pillows

You sleep on em' when you're done?

SuperMario66
12-20-05, 03:36 PM
This had gotten awkward.

CptCrunch
12-20-05, 03:37 PM

They were famous when they 2 years old, you sickos.

RhodeyYankee2638
12-20-05, 03:38 PM
You sleep on em' when you're done?

I dont sleep, RhodeyYankee doesn't sleep

Sam18
12-20-05, 03:39 PM
I dont sleep, RhodeyYankee doesn't sleep

You wait?

RhodeyYankee2638
12-20-05, 03:40 PM
You wait?

for her to make me a sangwich

Sam18
12-20-05, 03:40 PM
for her to make me a sangwich

I thought there was two of them?

RhodeyYankee2638
12-20-05, 03:44 PM
I thought there was two of them?

the other makes home made wine for me, so I can sell it to highschoolers

Sam18
12-20-05, 03:51 PM
the other makes home made wine for me, so I can sell it to highschoolers

So you guys used to run a business?

RhodeyYankee2638
12-20-05, 03:52 PM
So you guys used to run a business?

We still do. They got used to child/slave labor. They get $0.25 a day

Sam18
12-20-05, 04:09 PM
We still do. They got used to child/slave labor. They get $0.25 a day

I thought you guys broke up when they got famous?

RhodeyYankee2638
12-20-05, 04:10 PM
I thought you guys broke up when they got famous?

They live in my basement cause they blew their money on coke and barbie dolls

Sam18
12-20-05, 04:19 PM
They live in my basement cause they blew their money on coke and barbie dolls

Cool. You're such a nice guy for givin' them a second chance. You shoulda been Time magazine's Person of the Year.

RhodeyYankee2638
12-20-05, 04:20 PM
Cool. You're such a nice guy for givin' them a second chance. You shoulda been Time magazine's Person of the Year.

I als donated money to Shave the Whales

Sam18
12-20-05, 04:23 PM
I als donated money to Shave the Whales

How many whales got shaved though?

RhodeyYankee2638
12-20-05, 04:23 PM
How many whales got shaved though?

eleventy

Sam18
12-20-05, 04:25 PM
eleventy

Wow. :clap: :clap: Absolutely amazing. I can't believe Time over looked you.

RhodeyYankee2638
12-20-05, 04:25 PM
Wow. :clap: :clap: Absolutely amazing. I can't believe Time over looke:-hijack-:d you.Grrrrr

Sam18
12-20-05, 04:33 PM
Grrrrr

Fine I'll stop. Back to topic.

penfold
12-29-05, 12:06 AM
Okay... time to get this thread back on track.
(Yeah, I've seen a LOT of movies this month.)

Just saw Fun with Dick and Jane.

Amusing. I didn't think the movie was spectacular but it was fun once it got past how much life can suck when you don't have a job and the debts are piling up. I was hoping the movie would have a sharper bite throughout. Makes me wonder what an earlier draft of the script might have been like.

Worth a bargain matinee.

Evil Empire
12-29-05, 12:44 AM
Okay... time to get this thread back on track.
(Yeah, I've seen a LOT of movies this month.)

Just saw Fun with Dick and Jane.

Amusing. I didn't think the movie was spectacular but it was fun once it got past how much life can suck when you don't have a job and the debts are piling up. I was hoping the movie would have a sharper bite throughout. Makes me wonder what an earlier draft of the script might have been like.

Worth a bargain matinee.

Thanks! I'll go tomorrow :)

ChocolateGirl
01-02-06, 02:34 AM
The day after Christmas I saw the New World with Colin Farell. The movie was almost 3 hours long and I wasted my money because the plot was total bulls$%t. :mad: :enraged: Warning: Don't bother to see this movie. Colin Farell is 0-2 with me: Alexander and now this load of crap.

YankeePride1967
01-02-06, 08:45 AM
I saw "The Family Stone" and "The Producers" this weekend.

Family Stone was good. Movie about a somewhat dsyfunctional family.

Producers was hilarious.

ChocolateGirl
01-02-06, 06:41 PM
'Lion' topples 'King Kong' at New Year box office
Monday January 2 3:46 PM ET

The family fantasy "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" returned to the top of the North American box office during the New Year holiday weekend, ending the two-week reign of "King Kong," according to studio estimates issued on Monday.

"Narnia" sold about $32.8 million worth of tickets in the four days beginning Friday, followed by "King Kong" with $31.6 million and the Jim Carrey comedy remake "Fun with Dick & Jane" with $21 million. Both recorded upticks from last weekend, when sales were hit by the Christmas, and there were no new wide releases this weekend to steal their thunder.

The top two films have been engaged in a tight battle for the last three weeks, and it did not end this weekend, with "King Kong" managing to outsell "Narnia" on Sunday, according to "King Kong" distributor Universal Pictures.

ADVERTISEMENT

But Walt Disney Co.'s "Narnia" was projected to win the other three days, and is way ahead in terms of overall sales, grossing $224.8 million after four weeks, compared with "King Kong's" $174.3 million after three.

2005 A FLOP

The duel between "Narnia" and "King Kong" helps the new year begin on an upbeat note following a disastrous 2005, when ticket sales fell below the $9 billion mark for the first time since 2001, according to estimates from tracking firm Exhibitor Relations.

The company said sales for the three-day portion of the holiday weekend -- Friday through Sunday -- totaled $130 million, up 5 percent from the comparable period last year.

For the year overall, sales fell to $8.9 billion, down 5 percent from 2004. The number of tickets sold fell 7 percent to 1.4 million, the lowest mark since 1997.

After a dismal summer, when year-on-year comparisons fell for a record number of weeks, the annual decline was no surprise. Exhibitor Relations president Paul Dergarabedian attributed the malaise to such factors as a paucity of exciting product and competition for consumers' leisure dollars.

He predicted an upturn in 2006, if only because year-on-year comparisons will be easier. Moviegoers can look forward to another steady diet of superhero movies ("X-Men 3," "Superman Returns"), sequels ("Mission: Impossible 3") and literary adaptations ("The Da Vinci Code").

Rounding out this weekend's top five, the Steve Martin comedy "Cheaper by the Dozen 2" held steady at No. 4 with $19.3 million, while the Jennifer Aniston comedy "Rumor Has It ..." jumped three places to No. 5 with $11.6 million. Their respective totals stand at $55.1 million and $26.7 million, while "Fun with Dick & Jane" has earned $64.6 million, all after three weekends

Evil Empire
01-02-06, 07:18 PM
Did anyone see Rumor Has it?

Chesbro41
01-02-06, 08:41 PM
Did anyone see Rumor Has it?

I saw it last night. Definite chick flick. I enjoyed it. There were some really funny parts.

Evil Empire
01-02-06, 08:45 PM
I saw it last night. Definite chick flick. I enjoyed it. There were some really funny parts.

That's good because I love chick flicks.

I recently just saw Cool Hand Luke, and Fun with Dick and Jane. Both were good.

gdn
01-02-06, 08:52 PM
That's good because I love chick flicks.

I recently just saw Cool Hand Luke, and Fun with Dick and Jane. Both were good.Sissy.

:p

Evil Empire
01-02-06, 08:54 PM
Sissy.

:p

And how does that make me a sissy?

gdn
01-02-06, 08:55 PM
And how does that make me a sissy?I'm just teasin' you man :) No harm.

Evil Empire
01-02-06, 08:56 PM
I'm just teasin' you man :) No harm.

I believe namecalling is against the rules. Ban this man. Now. NOW!!!!!!!

Duh I know you were kidding. Jeeeeeez. :-n00b-:

gdn
01-02-06, 08:58 PM
I believe namecalling is against the rules. Ban this man. Now. NOW!!!!!!!

Duh I know you were kidding. Jeeeeeez. :-n00b-:If I get banned, I'm comin' after you, your family, your pets, your car, your house, your school....

Evil Empire
01-02-06, 08:59 PM
If I get banned, I'm comin' after you, your family, your pets, your car, your house, your school....

I do not exist, but if I did I would be single, without pet, as an uneducated walking nomad. Therefore, there's nothing for you to come after.

gdn
01-02-06, 09:00 PM
I do not exist, but if I did I would be single, without pet, as an uneducated walking nomad. Therefore, there's nothing for you to come after.Encino Man!!!!

:roflmao:

Evil Empire
01-02-06, 09:02 PM
Encino Man!!!!

:roflmao:

I've never seen that movie. Therefore, I have no clue what you're talking about.

penfold
01-06-06, 02:00 PM
Okay... I have two more movies to add to the list here: Brokeback Mountain and Cache.

Yes, it was the week of arthouse movies.

First, let me say that as a straight woman who saw Brokeback with three straight guys (and all willingly saw the movie... nobody dragged their feet), Brokeback didn't strike any of as spectacular/best-movie-ever. Both Gyllenhaal's and Ledger's characters let situations overwhelm them. I was kinda irritated that they didn't just pick up and move to San Francisco together. I mean, if you love one another, THEN BE TOGETHER. Yeesh. We all thought it was over-rated. But, as a disclaimer, none of us is gay. I'm sure it has a much heavier impact to a gay viewer than a straight viewer. The acting was fantastic and the cinematography was terrific but it ain't the greatest film ever made. Okay on DVD but don't expect it to live up to even 1/4 of the hype.

Cache. A French intellectual thriller, starring Daniel Auteil and Juliette Binoche. It's all about the secrets that we keep and how they affect us -- both in the large scale and in the small scale. The host of a French TV show about books is terrorized when someone sends him videotapes of his family, taped from afar, along with threatening drawings that depict decapitations. The large scale makes one think about anti-Algerian racism in France. The small scale makes Auteil remember something he did when he was 6 years old. Very enjoyable. Yes, it had lots of plot holes but the film makes you think. Okay to watch on DVD but you have to watch it carefully.

RhodyYanksFan
01-11-06, 09:24 PM
I just finished watching "The Constant Gardener". It was very riviting and moving. I knew the rest of the world treated Africa like sh*t, but this movie showed how corporations (pharmacutical ones in particular) just use poor Africans as guinea pigs. The performances were top notch (Weisz and Fiennes are always specatular) and direction was original. Worth watching.

MisterNovember
01-11-06, 09:41 PM
Saw "Match Point" with a date last night. She didn't like it (she was expecting the usual Woody Allen/neurotic/New York movie), but I thought it was great. A bit of a ripoff of "Crimes and Misdemeanors", but still worth going to see.

penfold
01-12-06, 12:41 AM
I just finished watching "The Constant Gardener". It was very riviting and moving. I knew the rest of the world treated Africa like sh*t, but this movie showed how corporations (pharmacutical ones in particular) just use poor Africans as guinea pigs. The performances were top notch (Weisz and Fiennes are always specatular) and direction was original. Worth watching.
I thought this film was terrific. Depressing but terrific.

LongLiveBernie51!
01-12-06, 11:00 AM
Avoid Wedding Crashers at all costs :barf:

SuperMario66
01-12-06, 12:33 PM
Avoid Wedding Crashers at all costs :barf:

Seriously? That is like saying to avoid 40YOV.

Darth_Takeo
01-12-06, 03:01 PM
My fiancee and I thought it was horrible. The previews depicted a totally different movie than it was.

LongLiveBernie51!
01-12-06, 05:31 PM
Seriously? That is like saying to avoid 40YOV.

I actually really liked 40YOV.

The premise of Wedding Crashers was far too creepy for me and I never bought that anybody would find Owen Wilson or Vince Vaughn's characters desirable in any way. They had no redeeming qualities. It went on way too long and the ending was disappointingly predictable.

At least Steve Carrol's character in 40YOV was an honest hearted guy that you could root for to get the girl.

RhodeyYankee2638
01-12-06, 06:30 PM
Anyone ever see Falling Down. Michael Douglas is a god

Sam18
01-12-06, 06:32 PM

I thought Kelsey Grammer was in that one.

YankeePride1967
01-12-06, 07:08 PM

Yes, very good movie. I own it as well.

penfold
01-13-06, 12:19 PM
Saw Capote last night. It was quite good; although not for everybody. It tells the story of Truman Capote writing In Cold Blood. He brought along a friend of his when he was doing his initial research. That friend was Harper Lee -- aka the author of To Kill a Mockingbird. The people sitting on the other side of my husband couldn't figure that one out. "Who was that woman with him? What book did she write? What movie did it turn into?" (sigh)

Philip Seymour Hoffman rocked but the guy who played Perry Smith (Clifton Collins, Jr.) was even better, IMHO.

Hitman23
01-13-06, 12:30 PM
Anyone ever see Falling Down. Michael Douglas is a godThat movie is great. If you haven't seen it, do so immediately.

QueenGRH
01-13-06, 12:32 PM
Brokeback didn't strike any of as spectacular/best-movie-ever. Both Gyllenhaal's and Ledger's characters let situations overwhelm them. I was kinda irritated that they didn't just pick up and move to San Francisco together. I mean, if you love one another, THEN BE TOGETHER. Yeesh. We all thought it was over-rated. But, as a disclaimer, none of us is gay. I'm sure it has a much heavier impact to a gay viewer than a straight viewer. The acting was fantastic and the cinematography was terrific but it ain't the greatest film ever made.

I agree. I think the film was overrated. Heath Ledger was incredible and the cinematography was breaktaking... and the movie was very good. But its not as good as critics describe it to be. I think because it is "groundbreaking" it has been reviewed so well.

And if anyone is interested in seeing it, be warned: it is extremely depressing! Every single character's life is f***ed up in some way... Its not a love story with a happy ending for anyone. :(

NYDCYankee
01-13-06, 03:11 PM
I agree. I think the film was overrated. Heath Ledger was incredible and the cinematography was breaktaking... and the movie was very good. But its not as good as critics describe it to be. I think because it is "groundbreaking" it has been reviewed so well.

And if anyone is interested in seeing it, be warned: it is extremely depressing! Every single character's life is f***ed up in some way... Its not a love story with a happy ending for anyone. :(

I just got back from seeing it and I pretty much agree. Ledger was flat out fantastic and probably earned himself and Oscar and deserves it.

But it wasn't THAT great. In fact I thought the writing at times was kind of cheesey.

YankeePride1967
01-14-06, 10:59 PM
I saw "Rumor Has It" last night. I liked it. It was pretty predictable, but Jennifer Aniston is doing a good job of taking different roles since her Friends days.

Trish
01-14-06, 11:21 PM
Rhodey's in a time warp.

RhodeyYankee2638
01-15-06, 11:27 AM
Rhodey's in a time warp.

Netflix is helping me catch up, i was 5 when it came out

wexy
01-15-06, 11:34 AM
I rented "The Constant Gardener" with Ralph Fiennes and Rachel Weisz about corruption in Kenya and major drug companies. A good movie.

QueenGRH
01-16-06, 12:22 AM
I rented "The Constant Gardener" with Ralph Fiennes and Rachel Weisz about corruption in Kenya and major drug companies. A good movie.

I just saw "The Constant Gardener" as well. A thrilling, intelligent movie. I highly recommend it! :)

Hitman23
01-16-06, 11:13 AM
I just Saw Harry Potter 4 with my daughter over the weekend. Really cool. I actually got a tad choked up in a couple of parts.

The only thing I wish they'd change about the way Harry always comes through in the end is that he'd actually do something himself. Throughout all these movies someone has always been there to save him from an attack from behind, or someone too quick for him to react to. Okay, so he faced Valdimort by himself, but had a standoff and had to eventually run. He's suppose to be some great wizard, yet every success he has is either with help or by luck.

I wonder how the next movie will be done considering the actors are gonna be like 18 yrs old.

RhodyYanksFan
01-16-06, 11:53 AM

It's depressing at how often that stuff actually happens too. Well done movie.

I just Saw Harry Potter 4 with my daughter over the weekend. Really cool. I actually got a tad choked up in a couple of parts.

The only thing I wish they'd change about the way Harry always comes through in the end is that he'd actually do something himself. Throughout all these movies someone has always been there to save him from an attack from behind, or someone too quick for him to react to. Okay, so he faced Valdimort by himself, but had a standoff and had to eventually run. He's suppose to be some great wizard, yet every success he has is either with help or by luck.

I wonder how the next movie will be done considering the actors are gonna be like 18 yrs old.

I thought HP4 wan't that great. The worst one was year 2, then this one. Prisoner of Azkaban was the best so far.

I know what you mean regarding Harry always being saved, but in part 3, he saved himself from the grim reaper things - when he went back in time it was him, not his dad who used the protector spell.

Hitman23
01-16-06, 12:12 PM
I thought HP4 wan't that great. The worst one was year 2, then this one. Prisoner of Azkaban was the best so far.

I know what you mean regarding Harry always being saved, but in part 3, he saved himself from the grim reaper things - when he went back in time it was him, not his dad who used the protector spell.I've enjoyed all of them. It's a kids story so I know what frame of mind to be in. Actually the only one that bores me is the first one, but that's only because my daughter made me watch it a few hundred times.

He's saved himself in a few ways, it was a broad statement. It's just getting annoying. He is getting older. Some things need to start coming naturally. i understand magic needs to be taught, but he was able to talk to a snake and make glass dissapear before he knew magic existed.

Hitman23
01-16-06, 12:20 PM
Seems like I read somewhere that they went into "continuous production mode" after they finished the most recent movie which means they probably already have #5 in the can and #6 on the way. If that is true, it won't be a real problem until #7 since it will not even be a book for a couple of years.well that's pretty cool if it's true. It probably means the next movie will be out pretty quick then.

Panamaniac42
01-16-06, 05:02 PM
I had insomnia the other night and watched "The Pacifier" and "13 Going On 30" back-to-back.

Strangely, they held my interest.

#1PaFan
01-16-06, 05:06 PM
I actually got a tad choked up in a couple of parts.

I'm sure you did. :eek:

YankeePride1967
01-16-06, 05:07 PM
I saw "Glory Road" yesterday. Very good movie.

#1PaFan
01-16-06, 05:08 PM
I saw "Glory Road" yesterday. Very good movie.

Cool. I'm going to see it in a couple hours. I heard somewhere that I should stay until the credits are done.

krystl
01-16-06, 06:57 PM
I saw Drowning Mona last week. Stupid movie. It had a lot of big names (Bette Midler, Danny DeVito, Jamie Lee Curtis) but still no good, IMO.

JDPNYY
01-16-06, 07:35 PM
I saw Drowning Mona last week. Stupid movie. It had a lot of big names (Bette Midler, Danny DeVito, Jamie Lee Curtis) but still no good, IMO.

Who were the big names in it?

fredgmuggs
01-16-06, 07:42 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I can't stop laughing...

yankeesrule2000
01-16-06, 08:58 PM
I saw Hostle....It was horrible....save your money!!

krystl
01-16-06, 09:19 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I can't stop laughing...
...and this is funny why? :confused:

Trish
01-16-06, 09:24 PM
...and this is funny why? :confused:
John was making a funny about the actors in that movie. I guess he doesn't think they're big names:lol:

krystl
01-16-06, 09:27 PM
John was making a funny about the actors in that movie. I guess he doesn't think they're big names:lol:
I guess I should have said big nams for such a dumb movie. :lol:

ChocolateGirl
01-17-06, 02:26 AM
My fiancee and I thought it was horrible. The previews depicted a totally different movie than it was.

Movie previws usually trick the public the majority of the time. Going to the movies is like gambling with your money. I don't go to the movies that often so its rare that I get disappointed. I ususally only pay to see blockbusters. Otherwise, my friend gets many movies through people on the street who sell boot leg copies.

Has anyone seen The Decent? It came out a few months ago. It was a decent creepy movie with a bunch of woman who kicks butt. I also finally seen House of Wax 2 weeks ago. It was another pretty decent creepy movie. I was very hesistant to watch it because Paris Hilton was in it. :barf: And this might sound weird, but I enjoyed watching how she got killed off in the movie. ;)

wexy
01-17-06, 02:56 PM
I finally saw "Cinderella Man' which was good, "Broken Flowers' with Bill Murray, Sharon Stone, Tilda Swinton, Jeffrey Wright and Julie Delpy which was OK, I think you have to be around my age to appreciate it more and "Junebug' which the critics liked more than I did but Amy Adams stole this movie with an amazing performance, I'm looking forward to see her next work.

RhodyYanksFan
01-17-06, 03:13 PM
I just saw "The Constant Gardener" as well. A thrilling, intelligent movie. I highly recommend it! :)

Rachel Weisz won best supporting actress for her work in this movie.

QueenGRH
01-21-06, 12:28 PM
Last night I saw "Match Point," the new Woody Allen movie. It was the best movie he has made in years.

Based on the Hottest Female Contest, it appears that many guys on this board think Scarlett Johansson is hot and she was pretty sexy in this movie. But her acting skills are overrated...

JDPNYY
01-21-06, 04:06 PM
I saw Hoodwinked on Thursday. Very, very funny. I'd recommend seeing it, but it's probably best to wait until it's on DVD (it's 80 minutes long, not worth 10 bucks - I had free tickets).

I'll need to see it a couple more times. There are times the jokes are coming at a rapid pace, I'm sure I missed a bunch.

Kulish29
01-21-06, 05:00 PM
Anyone ever see "Life Aquatic"?

That movie is so friggin random, but I think it;s funny as hell.

Barb51850
01-21-06, 06:21 PM
Last night I saw "Match Point," the new Woody Allen movie. It was the best movie he has made in years.

Based on the Hottest Female Contest, it appears that many guys on this board think Scarlett Johansson is hot and she was pretty sexy in this movie. But her acting skills are overrated...

I think the guy in that movie is hot - Jonathan Rhys Meyers

keg411
01-21-06, 06:40 PM
Anyone ever see "Life Aquatic"?

That movie is so friggin random, but I think it;s funny as hell.

Saw it last year in the theater, and it definitely fit into the "weird but funny" category. Bill Murray was really good (as was Owen Wilson for the most part).

wexy
01-21-06, 08:44 PM
Chillin' this after the gym and supermarket, I rented "Red Eye" which was good and "Hustle and Flow" which reminded me of when I had dreams of being a rapper back in the day.

#1PaFan
01-21-06, 09:03 PM
Chillin' this after the gym and supermarket, I rented "Red Eye" which was good and "Hustle and Flow" which reminded me of when I had dreams of being a rapper back in the day.

Damn, Wex, pursue that dream!!!! I'd love to hear it! :gulp:

brosiusbuddy
01-21-06, 11:17 PM
I just saw The Interpreter for the first time with Sean Penn and Nicole Kidman. It grabs you. Good, deep plot... so deep that at times I found myself rewinding a little to put the pieces together. One of those movies that really comes together extremely well and intelligently at the end.

Evil Empire
01-21-06, 11:25 PM
I think the next movie I'll see in theaters is "Firewall." I'm not paying attention to reviews anymore. They always screw me up because if they say the movie's bad, then people I ask say it's good.

I also plan to watch "The Graduate" fairly soon, just because I've never seen it before.

chanman7483
01-22-06, 12:14 AM
Lord of War was nothing like I thought it'd be. Pretty much just a timeline of the guy's life and his (not really) adventures gun running. Big let down...

BronxByTheBay
01-22-06, 12:25 AM
Lord of War was nothing like I thought it'd be. Pretty much just a timeline of the guy's life and his (not really) adventures gun running. Big let down...

What an awful, dumb movie. The direction is as suble as a steel spike through the base of your skull. A character snorts some coke, so the soundtrack starts blaring Clapton's "Cocaine". Cage's character starts making lots of money, so we get Floyd's "Money", and on and on.

Even Cage's hairpiece was getting on my nerves.

BronxByTheBay
01-22-06, 12:27 AM

I thought she was good in the movie. And she happens to wear the hell out of a pair of jeans.

NYDCYankee
01-22-06, 01:43 PM
I just saw The Interpreter for the first time with Sean Penn and Nicole Kidman. It grabs you. Good, deep plot... so deep that at times I found myself rewinding a little to put the pieces together. One of those movies that really comes together extremely well and intelligently at the end.

Really? I thought it was awful we had a thread about this film sometime back when it was in the theater.

RhodeyYankee2638
01-22-06, 01:46 PM
Really? I thought it was awful we had a thread about this film sometime back when it was in the theater.

The Interpreter was f*cking awful. I mean come on, that ending, are you kidding me. No way she gets into that dudes room with security, and no way she gets off afterwards

RhodeyYankee2638
01-22-06, 01:54 PM
The Interpreter was f*cking awful. I mean come on, that ending, are you kidding me. No way she gets into that dudes room with security, and no way she gets off afterwards

another thinng. This movie was thrown together. This was the first movie i've seen (i've seen alot) that I've actually caught continuity errors on the first viewing. In one scene, I remember Kidman's hair change styles drastically when they kept cutting to her. It was kinda distracting

NYDCYankee
01-22-06, 02:16 PM
another thinng. This movie was thrown together. This was the first movie i've seen (i've seen alot) that I've actually caught continuity errors on the first viewing. In one scene, I remember Kidman's hair change styles drastically when they kept cutting to her. It was kinda distracting

Agreed. It was one of the worst edited and directed movies in a while. Another error was at the end when the African leader was going up to the UN there were shots of the UN where there were leaves on the trees and then other shots of the UN with no leaves on the trees.

I was really disappointed. I love movies about Africa and political intrigued. I thought combine the two and how could you go wrong. Well this movie did. Big Time.

chanman7483
01-22-06, 02:20 PM
Agreed. It was one of the worst edited and directed movies in a while. Another error was at the end when the African leader was going up to the UN there were shots of the UN where there were leaves on the trees and then other shots of the UN with no leaves on the trees.

I was really disappointed. I love movies about Africa and political intrigued. I thought combine the two and how could you go wrong. Well this movie did. Big Time.

Nicole Kidman's hottness in the movie made up for it.

Agreed that the plot and distracting things like her hair and the leaves, which I noticed too, make this movie subpar.

NYDCYankee
01-22-06, 02:25 PM
Wasn't this a Kubrick movie too? I think that made it extra disappointing. Ya know how sometimes author have people ghost write books and they aren't as good. Maybe someone ghost directed for him.

RhodeyYankee2638
01-22-06, 02:28 PM
Wasn't this a Kubrick movie too? I think that made it extra disappointing. Ya know how sometimes author have people ghost write books and they aren't as good. Maybe someone ghost directed for him.

Uhh, Kubrick died 7 years ago

RhodeyYankee2638
01-22-06, 02:30 PM

I think the worst thing was, there was this grand assassination attempt on the African leader. So what do they do, they take him to this large room and leave him in a room all by himself. Brilliant plot. Also a piece of advice. If you are going to assassinate someone, don't talk about it in a room with 400 recording devices or in the place you are going to do it

And Nicole Kidman as a key component to a black african guerrilla group? Why not cast Dick Van Dyke as Malcolm X

penfold
01-22-06, 02:30 PM
Sydney Pollack directed this film, I believe.

For what it's worth, I enjoyed the film. I was willing to suspend my disbelief at the appropriate times.

I thought the film was able to straddle the line between thought-provoking and entertaining without being too heavy-handed on either side. Yeah, you could poke a billion holes in the plot. I just found it to be more fun if I didn't try to.

(War of the Worlds with Tom Cruise... now THAT one I poked about a billion holes through...)

RhodeyYankee2638
01-22-06, 02:33 PM

For what it's worth, I enjoyed the film. I was willing to suspend my disbelief at the appropriate times.

I thought the film was able to straddle the line between thought-provoking and entertaining without being too heavy-handed on either side. Yeah, you could poke a billion holes in the plot. I just found it to be more fun if I didn't try to.

(War of the Worlds with Tom Cruise... now THAT one I poked about a billion holes through...)

See, if I go see a movie like War of the Worlds, i'll try to suspend disbelief because this stuff will nevere happen. When I see a movie like the interpreter, its supposed to be more along the lines of reality which adds to the intrigue. Both sucked though

NYDCYankee
01-22-06, 02:39 PM

Wow my bust. Pollack is still one of the great directors.

See, I like my movies heavy handed actually maybe that was one of my problems with it, aside from the shoddiness.

I think we differ on things though. You knock War of the Worlds but to me that movie is a fantasy and things that don't make sense happen in films like that and I can accept it.

But The Interpreter could have been a movie that could have and should have been made realistically. I think probably if the movie had been made realistically and directed better it could have been a movie that could have contended for awards, such movies usually do.

NYDCYankee
01-22-06, 02:40 PM
And Nicole Kidman as a key component to a black african guerrilla group? Why not cast Dick Van Dyke as Malcolm X

This didn't bother me so much. There are people like her across the span of Africa.

RhodeyYankee2638
01-22-06, 02:56 PM
This didn't bother me so much. There are people like her across the span of Africa.

The emphasis was on Nicole Kidman. I wouldn't trust her to make a turkey, let alone conspire to knock off world leaders

Kudo
01-22-06, 03:18 PM
I saw Underworld:Evolution yesterday. It was pretty gory and filled with action and blood and stuff, and it had Kate Beckingsale. I would let her suck my blood any day of the week and twice on Sundays. If you are a male who likes Kate then I say you should see this movie, if you like gory action with wearwolves and vampires then you should see it too. If you like plot, character development, good acting, and good screenwriting then stay far away from this movie.

AMC
01-22-06, 07:29 PM
I saw Underworld:Evolution yesterday.

I loved Underworld and I'll probably be seeing Underworld: Evolution this week.

krystl
01-22-06, 08:33 PM
I watched the Wedding Date and Transporter 2. No major awards going to them but I did enjoy both of them. :)

Kulish29
01-23-06, 10:29 AM
Saw 'Lord of War' this weekend. Pretty good.

LongLiveBernie51!
01-23-06, 12:01 PM
I saw Underworld:Evolution yesterday. It was pretty gory and filled with action and blood and stuff, and it had Kate Beckingsale. I would let her suck my blood any day of the week and twice on Sundays. If you are a male who likes Kate then I say you should see this movie, if you like gory action with wearwolves and vampires then you should see it too. If you like plot, character development, good acting, and good screenwriting then stay far away from this movie.

I saw Underworld: Evolution as well and agree with everything you said, Kudo.

I loved the first Underworld and this sequel does not dissapoint...plus Beckinsale in the corset and catsuit doesn't hurt either.

penfold
01-23-06, 12:46 PM
Wow my bust. Pollack is still one of the great directors.

See, I like my movies heavy handed actually maybe that was one of my problems with it, aside from the shoddiness.

I think we differ on things though. You knock War of the Worlds but to me that movie is a fantasy and things that don't make sense happen in films like that and I can accept it.

But The Interpreter could have been a movie that could have and should have been made realistically. I think probably if the movie had been made realistically and directed better it could have been a movie that could have contended for awards, such movies usually do.
Fair 'nuff.

I'm a sci fi geek so I hope that all stories make sense -- even the weird fantasy stories. (IMHO, War of the Worlds just didn't make any sense... why go to Boston? What really happens to the son? Couldn't Spielberg have trimmed that long section in the middle? etc.)

I think one reason why I cut Interpreter so much slack was because the NY Times took issue with the fact that the movie created an African country and language for the film. The NYT reviewer figured that there were so many countries that could have been put into the centerpiece of the film that one real country should have been chosen. I figured that was a false issue. The point wasn't "Oooh, this particular country is in bad shape. We have to do something now!" I figured it was more, "So many countries are in bad shape. We have to do something now!"

Maybe I cut The Interpreter too much slack because of that review. Maybe I granted the film a little more leeway because I knew it wasn't a real country. Maybe I actually got enough sleep the night before I saw the film.

For what it was, I enjoyed it. Would I pay $10 to see it? Nah... Bargain matinee prices would be the max.

RhodeyYankee2638
01-30-06, 03:25 PM
Just saw Grizzle Man last night. Perhaps one of the saddest and oddest documentaries ive ever seen

SheffRocks11
01-30-06, 05:38 PM
Just saw Grizzle Man last night. Perhaps one of the saddest and oddest documentaries ive ever seen

Is that the one where the guy gets eaten by the Grizzly Bears?

RhodeyYankee2638
01-30-06, 05:49 PM
Is that the one where the guy gets eaten by the Grizzly Bears?

Yeah. The guy is really off was really off his f*cking rocker. I mean, really out there

penfold
02-06-06, 01:53 PM
Just saw Glory Road and Last Holiday. Both were good films but Last Holiday was really what I needed -- a laugh-out-loud comedy with so many close-up shots of fantastic food. I'm salivating just remembering the food shots.

RhodeyYankee2638
02-06-06, 01:56 PM
I got Midnight Cowboy from netflix. Screw Brokeback Mountain, if you want to see a controversial film about a gay cowboy, see this baby. Hoffman at his finest

Hitman23
02-06-06, 01:57 PM
I added 3 movies to my dvd collection this weekend.

Jackie Brown - Awesome. Only I have to return it. Chapters 14-16 skip. :mad:

Family Guy - I love the show..... but the movie was TERRIBLE!! Like 4 or 5 jokes worked. Very dissapointed.

The Beastmaster - saw it on sale, had to buy it. One of my favorites growing up.

Jersey Yankee
02-06-06, 02:53 PM
Any current movies worth seeing? I saw some playing at the mall somewhat near me, but Big Momma's House was the only one I'd thought about. It was playing too late tho.

penfold
02-06-06, 02:56 PM
Jersey Yankee, if you haven't seen Good Night, And Good Luck, I'd highly recommend it. As mentioned above, I liked Glory Road and Last Holiday. All three should still be in theaters. All three would also be decent rentals if your local theaters are already showing other things.

I've seen a lot of recent releases and haven't really been blown away by that much.

RhodeyYankee2638
02-06-06, 02:58 PM
Any current movies worth seeing? I saw some playing at the mall somewhat near me, but Big Momma's House was the only one I'd thought about. It was playing too late tho.

Big Momma's house? are you on medication, the movie is in the bottom 100 at IMDB already

Hitman23
02-06-06, 02:59 PM
Any current movies worth seeing? I saw some playing at the mall somewhat near me, but Big Momma's House was the only one I'd thought about. It was playing too late tho.that movie looks absolutely terrible.

fredgmuggs
02-06-06, 03:00 PM
Anybody see "The New World"? I was thinking about going to see it but I haven't heard anything good about it.

penfold
02-06-06, 03:14 PM
Anybody see "The New World"? I was thinking about going to see it but I haven't heard anything good about it.

The re-edited (shorter) version is supposed to be good. But I haven't seen it myself so take that comment with a grain of salt.

(Supposedly, Malick saw the version in the theaters and said, "I coulda done better" and so he re-cut the film about a week after it had been released.)

NYDCYankee
02-07-06, 06:00 AM
I saw Hustle & Flow. Very well acted worth seeing before the Oscars.

penfold
02-13-06, 07:44 PM
Okay... I added two more to the list: Imagine Me and You and Nanny McPhee.

Imagine Me and You is a small British romantic comedy that stars Piper Perabo (Coyote Ugly), Matthew Goode (Chasing Liberty), Anthony Stewart Head (Buffy the Vampire Slayer), and quite a few others. It's a cute film. Piper Perabo's in the midst of getting married to Matthew Goode when she spots the florist who did the flowers for the ceremony... and promptly falls for her. Much, MUCH more entertaining than Brokeback Mountain.

Nanny McPhee is a fantasy comedy that's sort of like Mary Poppins meets the older version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Lots of bright colors and loud noises but a very touching story at the heart of everything. Another British film... written by and starring Emma Thompson. Don't let the scary-looking makeup fool you -- it's a solid film. Great for kids and entertaining enough for adults.

SubwayFanatic
02-13-06, 08:19 PM
I just watched the movie "Tape" tonight. Pretty damn good. It's a 2001 film directed by Richard Linklater, featuring Ethan Hawke, Robert Sean Leonard and Uma Thurman.

Has anyone else seen it? If so, I would love to hear your interpretation of the film. Judging by what I have seen on IMDB.com and other movie sites, everyone seems to have a different take on what happened or what didn't happen in this movie.

penfold
02-14-06, 12:46 PM
Okay... here's a movie that probably DOES deserve it's own thread: The Pink Panther. Yes, the new version with Steve Martin and Kevin Kline. It was sooooooooooo funny. Very well done. Worth a full price admission.

DaBomber25
02-14-06, 04:08 PM
"When A Stranger Calls" is without a doubt one of the worst movies of the past 15 years.

Hitman23
02-14-06, 04:11 PM
"When A Stranger Calls" is without a doubt one of the worst movies of the past 15 years.It was a good movie 15 years ago

Hitman23
02-14-06, 04:11 PM
Okay... here's a movie that probably DOES deserve it's own thread: The Pink Panther. Yes, the new version with Steve Martin and Kevin Kline. It was sooooooooooo funny. Very well done. Worth a full price admission.you're serious? I can't even watch the trailors for that one. it looks horrible.

DaBomber25
02-14-06, 04:31 PM
It was a good movie 15 years ago

I'm actually curious to see the original now. I couldn't believe how atrocious this one was.

Hitman23
02-14-06, 04:33 PM
I'm actually curious to see the original now. I couldn't believe how atrocious this one was.You want to know why the origional was good? I didn't know that the call was coming from inside the f*cking house. The movie was a complete shock. They market the movie that way and it's dumb. It would be like knowing Vader was Luke's dad before you saw Empire for the first time.

DaBomber25
02-14-06, 04:38 PM
You want to know why the origional was good? I didn't know that the call was coming from inside the f*cking house. The movie was a complete shock. They market the movie that way and it's dumb. It would be like knowing Vader was Luke's dad before you saw Empire for the first time.

Well, that certainly didn't help. But that was far from the only problem. There was NO PLOT. No explanation as to why this guy was doing this. There was no character development. There were so much unneeded crap and they never let you know how all these situations ended.

The first 70 minutes of this movie is the caller making calls to Jill and breathing into the phone. Unbelievable.

Hitman23
02-14-06, 04:44 PM
Well, that certainly didn't help. But that was far from the only problem. There was NO PLOT. No explanation as to why this guy was doing this. There was no character development. There were so much unneeded crap and they never let you know how all these situations ended.

The first 70 minutes of this movie is the caller making calls to Jill and breathing into the phone. Unbelievable.But the girl was hot and there was alot of screaming. Didn't you know that's the only requirements for a scary movie? :lol:

penfold
02-14-06, 05:22 PM
you're serious? I can't even watch the trailors for that one. it looks horrible.
Well, I was one of the people cracking up at the trailer for Pink Panther. And, IMHO, the movie has many more funny spots than just those shown in the trailer. Yes, some of the jokes are repetitive but that's part of the point.

It's a smart "dumb comedy" -- if you catch my drift.

Clouseau is an oaf and a buffoon but he's not mean and he's not as dumb as he acts. Plus, the movie was co-written by Steve Martin. Well worth it. But I'll watch pretty much any movie ever made. At least I can honestly say that I thoroughly enjoyed this one.

SuperMario66
02-14-06, 05:27 PM
The trailers for Pink Panther make it look awful. I can't imagine wanting to sit through it.

penfold
02-14-06, 05:42 PM
The trailers for Pink Panther make it look awful. I can't imagine wanting to sit through it.

(shrugs)
maybe I saw a different trailer.

Initially, I had no desire to see it. In fact, I figured it was one of those movies to avoid like the plague. But I saw one trailer -- and only one trailer -- which means that they might have made a slew of bad ones and I got lucky.

IMHO, the lowest point of the film was that the animated sequence wasn't as clever as I hoped it would be. I remember really loving those animated bits when I was a kid and this one left me wanting more. Not bad... just not as good as it should have been.

This is a good old fashioned dumb comedy that works very much like a Looney Tunes cartoon: humor on two levels. Kids get one level; adults get another.

The Yankee Kahuna
02-14-06, 06:13 PM
Underworld 2 was about as interesting as watching paint dry and this is coming from someone who liked the first one!

Hitman23
02-15-06, 09:21 AM
Saw "Waiting" last night. Hilarious! Definately worth renting.

DontHateOnNumber2
02-15-06, 09:23 AM
Going to see "Date Movie" with my girlfriend this weekend! I'll give peeps a lowdown if someone doesn't beat me to it. ;)