PDA

View Full Version : Can Arod pass maris??

sherlockjeterfan
09-09-07, 03:54 PM
It would obviously cool if Arod became the record holder for home runs in a season by someone who is not known to have broken laws or rules in baseball to attempt to improve their performance.. to some this means something, to others it obviously doesn't. To me Babe Ruth si waaaaaaaayyyyyy better, but that is me, as a side note ofr 162 games what does ruth's sixty project to i know that maris also has an asterisk, could arod reach 65 and be the legitimet champ. i know it is all hypothetical. In my hypothetical world steroids help some but not much and also help pitchers a lot, so bonds being a great hitter with no existence of of roids would still hit 65.. sosa not sixty tho i doubt corking a bat gives him more than one extra one.. but i believe in my imaginary world that outside the dead ball and with the extra teams and because he proved his talent was sooooo much better than everyone else he played against, forget mound heights and no black players .... yada yada .. i think if he played in an era when other people hit forty and fifty in a year rather than only 5 or ten then his competitiveness and outright superior ability would lead him to a year with eighty or so...
Anyways, i know i don't like to puncuate correctly, sorry about that. But I just think it is fun to speculate right now with Arod, who I am not a real big fan of, on a tear and talk with everyone about if they believe he will keep this up and become your home run champ.. or if you like bonds or babe or maris or sosa or hamerin hank

HA2007
09-09-07, 03:56 PM
He will come up short...I say he hits 57

Jeter Kid
09-09-07, 04:04 PM
Nope. It would be incredible though, probably set a september HR record.

Sam18
09-09-07, 04:05 PM
In amount of threads started about him? Yes.

fredgmuggs
09-09-07, 04:06 PM
In amount of threads started about him? Yes.You're the man, Sam.:)

JavyVazquezIsSick
09-09-07, 04:07 PM
Can we open another thread about A-Rod?

sherlockjeterfan
09-09-07, 04:10 PM
this thread is not just about arod, it is about the home run king.. forry for not being clear about that, loll.. thanks for adding to the discussion.. way to be on topic,

sherlockjeterfan
09-09-07, 04:16 PM
I would like to start about seventy five more arod threads if possible, maybe one about him not being a true yankee, or if he will opt out or where he will go if he were to opt out, of just if you like him or hate him. Anyways, I think that the mambino is the best home run hitter, I think that maris technically owns the record withan obvious asterisk and that those other three ahead of him are disqualified from owning the record because even though they may have been able to do it the right way .. they did things that in my opinion are against the rules and spirit of the idea of baseball records. I also think that arod will not break the record, and i think that he may also cheat, though i have nothing to back that up, and i would appreciate it if noone tells me not to say that, because this is a free speech country and i will say it ias much as i want. I think that pujols will get the record in the next six years.

DEADSOX
09-09-07, 04:47 PM
I would like to start about seventy five more arod threads if possible, maybe one about him not being a true yankee, or if he will opt out or where he will go if he were to opt out, of just if you like him or hate him. Anyways, I think that the mambino is the best home run hitter, I think that maris technically owns the record withan obvious asterisk and that those other three ahead of him are disqualified from owning the record because even though they may have been able to do it the right way .. they did things that in my opinion are against the rules and spirit of the idea of baseball records. I also think that arod will not break the record, and i think that he may also cheat, though i have nothing to back that up, and i would appreciate it if noone tells me not to say that, because this is a free speech country and i will say it ias much as i want. I think that pujols will get the record in the next six years.

Is this post real?

TheInfallibleOne
09-09-07, 04:56 PM
I would rather A-Rod have the record October than go nuts in September.

Sam18
09-09-07, 05:31 PM

So you think A-rod did roids?

Casey at the Bat
09-09-07, 06:02 PM

If you do start all those threads, can you please break your posts into sentences? It would make them much easier to read that way.

followwind
09-09-07, 06:49 PM
and i think that he may also cheat, though i have nothing to back that up, and i would appreciate it if noone tells me not to say that, because this is a free speech country and i will say it ias much as i want. I think that pujols will get the record in the next six years.
You yourself said that you have nothing to back up that A-Rod "cheats", yet you ask people not to tell you to stop saying that?

Just because it's internet doesn't mean that you can talk all you want and have nothing to back it up. What a joke.

Edit: BTW :-padlock- .

b-ball-lunachick
09-09-07, 07:58 PM
If you do start all those threads, can you please break your posts into sentences? It would make them much easier to read that way.

AMEN! :clap: :clap: :clap:

oops, maybe a poor choice of words -- this isn't the Jesus Christ thread. ;) But I couldn't agree more Casey..

Toaderly
09-09-07, 08:16 PM
Can we open another thread about A-Rod?

Great idea! In fact, let's give him his own forum!

cid
09-09-07, 08:53 PM
thread nazis unite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DEADSOX
09-09-07, 08:56 PM
Obviously, ARod is not Jesus Christ, but..... oops, wrong Arod thread.

BigCheese
09-09-07, 09:20 PM
Can he? Yes. There are games left to play.

Will he probably? No.

Would I like it if he did? Yes.

JeffWeaverFan
09-09-07, 09:30 PM
10% chance A-Rod can be the real single season HR leader after this season.

NYYFAN
09-09-07, 09:32 PM
He would probably freeze for week or two if he hit 61...:D

EyeRis
09-09-07, 09:41 PM
i would hope so...it would be sweet if another yankee breaks the all time "real" record [not the one muddled by steroid use and other performance enhancement drugs]....it would be like justice for maris...

Jasbro
09-09-07, 09:57 PM
As I glanced over the thread titles, I thought this at first said "Can ARod pass math?"

NYYFAN
09-09-07, 10:05 PM
As I glanced over the thread titles, I thought this at first said "Can ARod pass math?"

No, thats why he has an accountant...:D

Taylor
09-09-07, 11:38 PM
i dont think arod will hit 74 HR's, any other total prior to that is irrelevant when it comes to records

StatenIslandYankee
09-09-07, 11:44 PM
Doubt it, but he will come close.

groovitude
09-10-07, 12:26 AM
i dont think arod will hit 74 HR's, any other total prior to that is irrelevant when it comes to records

... :-rofl-:

cid
09-10-07, 12:39 AM

if he gets to 62 he has the record in my, and quite a few other people's, opinion.

BigCheese
09-10-07, 01:24 AM

Steroid abuse aside, 62 would be a YANKEE Record. That means a lot to a lot of people, particularly those on this board.

yankees76
09-10-07, 02:42 AM
It depends on how long this hot stretch lasts. He could hit 65 or 55, depending. He's not going to hit 7 HRs every five games the rest of the way. 74 is impossible. 62 would be amazing, but very difficult. I think he gets stuck trying to get from 57 to 58, because it would be a career high, kind of the way he got stuck between 499 and 500.

"The Straw"
09-10-07, 03:22 AM
Going by his history of hot month cold month I will say he ends up with 60 HR's but unfortunately that means he'll have his usual October :o I hope I'm wrong!

rodney27nyg
09-10-07, 04:39 AM

Not in the A.L.

60 HR's has only been achieved twice in A.L. history.

Maris, Ruth...maybe ARod by seasons end.

BRONXBOMBERS06
09-10-07, 06:06 AM
He will pass Maris, He is swinging the bat right now, In a zone.

Tabata
09-10-07, 07:10 AM
To lock or not to lock... that is the question

No but really, he'll come up short.

brosiusbuddy
09-10-07, 07:39 AM
. In my hypothetical world steroids help some but not much and also help pitchers a lot, so bonds being a great hitter with no existence of of roids would still hit 65..

without roids barry would not have hit 65. not at age 38. he'd have hit a lot of flyouts

brosiusbuddy
09-10-07, 07:41 AM

Most homers ever hit by a Yankee in a single season is irrelevant?

bostonyankeefan
09-10-07, 08:22 AM
Most homers by a non-steroid user is very relevant. He could get there.

jeterismyhomeboy
09-10-07, 08:27 AM
Most homers by a non-steroid user is very relevant. He could get there.

Proof is kinda, sorta important. There's only proof (sworn-testimony) of the current record-holder, not of either of the men who had broken the record before. Not that I think they're pure as new-fallen snow, but in terms of records, McGuire and Sosa are innocent until proven guilty.

brosiusbuddy
09-10-07, 08:53 AM
Proof is kinda, sorta important. There's only proof (sworn-testimony) of the current record-holder, not of either of the men who had broken the record before. Not that I think they're pure as new-fallen snow, but in terms of records, McGuire and Sosa are innocent until proven guilty.

Not answering questions and/or suddenly losing the ability to speak english is proof enough for any reasonable person. Not to mention that corked bats aren't exactly legal.

Bozidar
09-10-07, 09:01 AM
Can we open another thread about A-Rod?omg, someone started ANOTHER topic of conversation.?!?!?! What're we to DOOOOOOO??????

MERGE WITH THE MEGATHREADS! RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!!

on topic.. he won't do it.. and legit is in the eyes of the beholder, so it's pointless to discuss that.

sweet_lou_14
09-10-07, 09:11 AM
It depends on how long this hot stretch lasts. He could hit 65 or 55, depending. He's not going to hit 7 HRs every five games the rest of the way. 74 is impossible. 62 would be amazing, but very difficult. I think he gets stuck trying to get from 57 to 58, because it would be a career high, kind of the way he got stuck between 499 and 500.

He didn't get stuck on 49.

EyeRis
09-10-07, 09:17 AM
i hope he hits 10HR in the Boston series this weekend...

metalyank
09-10-07, 09:27 AM
I hope he breaks 61 so I can go around wearing a customized shirt that has the number of HR's in the back and the front is emblazoned with "The Real Record".

thaa
09-10-07, 11:26 AM
Not answering questions and/or suddenly losing the ability to speak english is proof enough for any reasonable person....

Bingo. I don't know too many people who seriously believe the ML home run record is not 61. Those ridiculous figures of a few years ago are going to become, as time passes, the kind of institutional embarrassment that leads them eventually to be either forgotten or simply ignored. Having said that, if 61 is to be broken, I would certainly prefer that it be broken by a Yankee. It should remain an in-house record.

On "innocent-till-proven-guilty" syndrome: we're not talking about the law here. The people who did what they did during those weird spikey years are being widely ignored because people of common sense became deeply suspicious of this sudden bafflegab before Congress. If the issue ever comes to a legal determination, before judges and juries, then, if evidence points to the contrary, people like me will have either to change their minds or be viewed as cranks. In the meantime, the burden of proof is on the suspected.

Mantle'sMutt
09-10-07, 11:56 AM
omg, someone started ANOTHER topic of conversation.?!?!?! What're we to DOOOOOOO??????

MERGE WITH THE MEGATHREADS! RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!!

on topic.. he won't do it.. and legit is in the eyes of the beholder, so it's pointless to discuss that.

No arguing other points, but count mine a big NO to merging anything into any megathreads. I hate those. Just because a thread has a name attached, like A-Rod's, it doesn't mean everything about A-Rod should go into one thread. Heck, let different topics live or die of their own volition - what is this drive on this site to have everything in one single thread? Is bandwidth at THAT big a premium on this server?

OldYankeeFan
09-10-07, 12:12 PM
In a way I'm glad those "juiced" HR records that passed Maris are unattainable for A-Rod. So as he approaches the "real" record of 61 there will be much less media attention and pressure on him. Alex is in a zone right now helping the TEAM win. I for one don't want to see the media circus, the switching to marked baseballs before each at bat, or anything else that may be a distraction to him as we are closing in on the WC or possibly catching the RS. What I do want to see is a RING on his finger.

aayankeesfan
09-10-07, 12:19 PM
57 in the end

Maynerd
09-10-07, 12:35 PM
i hope he hits 10HR in the Boston series this weekend...
Fine, but what about the second and third games of the series?

TheDynasty26
09-10-07, 12:51 PM
Fine, but what about the second and third games of the series?

hahaha niiiice

RI Dawg
09-10-07, 12:53 PM
It would be cool if he passes 61, but I think realistically he will come short and only get to around 58 or something....

Yankees13
09-10-07, 12:56 PM
It's a tall task, but never bet against Alex Rodriguez. However, he would have to stay white hot until the end of September, and that's tough to do, to be that hot for an entire month (more like 5, 6 weeks, he was hot at the end of August too).

Jasbro
09-10-07, 01:03 PM
So far this season, ARod has averaged one HR every 2.71 games.

With 19 games remaining, that projects to 7 more HRs, for a season total of 59.

Another surge or two like he had this weekend, and 61 is not as far away as it may seem.

themgmt
09-10-07, 01:11 PM
His season pace is 59, his pace this past week would put him at 80 HR. I'll err on the side of logic rather than the ridiculousness that is A-Rod's homerunitivity which defies all logic and say 59-62

JfromJersey
09-10-07, 01:18 PM
If they keep pitching to him he has a chance of passing Maris, or at least, getting to 60. The odds are not in his favor, but it wouldn't shock me. I'm surprised pitchers give him anything in the strike zone, because Matsui is in a bit of a rut right now. At this point, Posada would give him more protection than Matsui.

Mr. Mxylsplk
09-10-07, 01:22 PM
I think it's very unlikely. That said, it would be pretty cool. Getting the team and AL record would be a nice milestone to add to a terrific season.

Bozidar
09-10-07, 01:50 PM
The most impressive part of this is that he's right-handed.

It's not like Yankee Stadium is as it was when The Clipper was around, but it sure is easier to hit dingers as a lefty still.

AndThenThereWasTino
09-10-07, 01:51 PM
I definetly think he has the talent to do it. The one thing that I think will be very hard though is if/when he gets around 58, 59, don't you think pitchers would start doing more of the 'pitching around him and not caring to walk him?'

frostdude1
09-10-07, 03:41 PM
I hope so ... but I have a feeling he ends at 60 ... but I really wish he ends at 62 or higher

The Q Bomb
09-10-07, 03:57 PM
In amount of threads started about him? Yes.:lol:

Stupid Flanders
09-10-07, 04:04 PM
It's not as crazy as some may think. If he just continues what he's been doing all year he's on pace for 60.

More detailed math here: http://highandtight.blogspot.com/2007/09/history-still-within-reach-for-rod.html

YankeePride1967
09-10-07, 04:11 PM
I think anything is possible as there is still time left and Alex is a good player but with three weeks time is kind of short and in order to hit more than Maris he needs to hit quite a bit more home runs to do it I think he needs nine to tie and 10 to break it but with baseball anything can happen and usually does I am wondering too if he will challenge Mattingly's record as well as that would be an impressive feat in itself and it is kind of warm inside the house so I think I'll turn the air up and I can't believe we are off tonight I really wanted to watch some baseball because baseball is a fun sport to watch especiall when Alex hits a home run he has a chance to pass Maris Yankee record you know

Hitman23
09-10-07, 04:21 PM
will you guys stop being so snooty. man so quick to jump on someone about thread content. :lol:

cid
09-10-07, 07:18 PM
No arguing other points, but count mine a big NO to merging anything into any megathreads. I hate those. Just because a thread has a name attached, like A-Rod's, it doesn't mean everything about A-Rod should go into one thread. Heck, let different topics live or die of their own volition - what is this drive on this site to have everything in one single thread? Is bandwidth at THAT big a premium on this server?

no, people are just thread nazis around here. it's pretty ridiculous that every thread starts out with someone saying something like "did we really need another arod thread?". i don't get why people care. a thread and a post aren't that much different technically if bandwidth is the argument. if clutter is the argument, a thread that has no use will eventually drop off and not matter. so, to all you thread nazis, what's the big deal?

JfromJersey
09-10-07, 07:25 PM

Just think how less "cluttered" this site will be if A-Rod leaves.

mrbawm
09-10-07, 08:17 PM
no, people are just thread nazis around here. it's pretty ridiculous that every thread starts out with someone saying something like "did we really need another arod thread?". i don't get why people care. a thread and a post aren't that much different technically if bandwidth is the argument. if clutter is the argument, a thread that has no use will eventually drop off and not matter. so, to all you thread nazis, what's the big deal?

It comes down to people being ignorant of how a message board works. These people will be happy when there's a mega-mega-thread entitled "Yankees Discussion". Ignore them.

Game4Tino
09-11-07, 10:43 AM
Just think how less "cluttered" this site will be if A-Rod leaves.

No kidding. This fits the "when clutter is GOOD" mold.

I Heart Jeter
09-11-07, 01:07 PM
Replace "Arod" with "Niles", and you have a thread