PDA

View Full Version : Henson & Johnson Article

#1PaFan
06-28-01, 05:13 PM
http://www.timesdispatch.com/sports/MGBJ5XMVHOC.html

It hasn't happened yet, but Drew Henson knows he will miss football, for sure by Labor Day. He's prepared. Henson began looking ahead at the fork in the road years ago.

Baseball or football?

"I love to get up every day and play a game," Henson said. "That's always been more attractive to me than what's involved in playing a football season."

So instead of this quarterback preparing for his senior year at Michigan, from which he probably would have become a first-round choice in the 2002 NFL draft, Henson plays third base for the Columbus Clippers, who yesterday began a three-day stay in Richmond.

A Michigan man based in Columbus, Ohio?

"It's not as bad as you'd think," said Henson, who led the Wolverines to a 38-26 win at Ohio State last November. "There are Michigan fans in Ohio, and they've been very supportive."

What's not to like about Henson, polite, well-spoken, due $17 million from the Yankees through the next six years and itching to slap on pin stripes? New York drafted him out of high school in'98, then shipped him to the Cincinnati chain last July as part of the deal that brought lefty Denny Neagle to the Yanks.

Knowing Henson had no interest in playing for Cincinnati, the Yanks reclaimed him in exchange for an outfield prospect through a March trade. "I've always been intrigued by New York. I was always a huge Yankees fan," said Henson. "That's where I've always wanted to play."

The Yankees may want this 21-year-old there as soon as next season. Henson was hit by a pitch on April 14 and suffered a broken left wrist, an injury that kept him out eight weeks at Class A Tampa. "I'm really just beginning my season now. I'm a little behind, trying to make adjustments on the fly," said Henson, promoted to Triple-A on June 18. He played only five games in Tampa and five more at Double-A Norwich before making his Class AAA debut.

Heading into last night's double-header at The Diamond, Henson was 3 for 26 as a Clipper. While Henson appears to be on the Yanks' accelerated-promotion plan, Nick Johnson is steadily and impressively rising though the New York system.

The left-handed-hitting first baseman missed all of last season when a checked swing in spring training caused some mysterious malady. All Johnson knows is that "it felt like my hand exploded." Apart from that delay, Johnson, 22, has been viewed as one of the minors' top young talents.

Any story involving Henson and Johnson probably ought to end this way: Yankee third baseman Scott Brosius will turn 35 this summer, and New York first baseman Tino Martinez will be 34 before year's end.

#1PaFan
06-28-01, 05:16 PM
Crap, wrong forum. Can somebody move this?

Jim F.
06-28-01, 05:26 PM
Thanks for making post #'s 999 & 1,000 in this forum George :).

-jim

#1PaFan
06-28-01, 05:32 PM
Oh man! Post 1000 was rather anti-climatic, huh?!